PDA

View Full Version : Oops, guess this is why lawyers want to do the talking

Ocotillo
11-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Hammer time (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/10/AR2005111002401.html)

Lawyers for Rep. Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) tried unsuccessfully in late September to head off felony criminal indictments against the then-majority leader on charges of violating Texas campaign law by signaling that DeLay might plead guilty to a misdemeanor, according to four sources familiar with the events.

<snip>

The last-minute negotiations between the lawyers and Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle were arranged after DeLay made what Earle considered a seriously damaging admission about his fundraising activities during an Aug. 17 meeting with the prosecutor in Austin.

At that session, DeLay acknowledged that in 2002 he was informed about and expressed his support for transfers of $190,000 in mostly corporate funds from his Texas political action committee to an arm of the Republican National Committee in Washington and then back to Texas, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition that they not be named.

<snip>

For his part, DeLay has bluntly expressed regret over his handling of the matter even as he insists he did nothing wrong. He complained Oct. 4 on Rush Limbaugh's radio program that at his meeting with Earle, "I misspoke one sentence, and they have based all this on one sentence."

Sometimes that's all it takes bug man. I think Earle still has a tough road ahead of him but I have also said before, this is the least of the bug man's troubles. Wait until the pigeons in the Abramoff case start singing. Ole Tom will wish he was back under that rock he oozed out from.