PDA

View Full Version : High Schooler Beats Incumbent in Mayor's Race

j-6
11-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Teen Holds Two-Vote Lead in Mich. Race

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/11/AR2005111100493_pf.html

The Associated Press
Friday, November 11, 2005; 7:32 AM

HILLSDALE, Mich. -- An 18-year-old high school student held on to a two-vote lead to become mayor of this southern Michigan town.

County Clerk Thomas C. Mohr on Thursday announced the official tally: Michael Sessions received 670 votes. Mayor Doug Ingles had 668.

Earlier unofficial figures had shown Sessions with a 64-vote lead over the 51-year-old incumbent. But several votes for Sessions, a write-in candidate, were disqualified because they were actually cast for other candidates.

Ingles has until 5 p.m. EST Wednesday to ask for a recount.

Sessions used $700 from a summer job to fund his race, putting up signs throughout the city and campaigning door-to-door in the town of 8,200 people.

Sessions appeared Thursday on "Late Show with David Letterman" to read the Top 10 list of "Good Things About Being an 18-year-old Mayor."

The list included "Parents try to tell me what to do, I raise their taxes" (No. 10), "I got a call from Demi Moore" (No. 6) and "It's flattering when President Bush calls me for advice" (No. 1).

Cant_Be_Faded
11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a well motivated kid. Hopefully he can do some good for the people.

SWC Bonfire
11-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Is this the same town that has the kooky Hillsdale College that Paul Harvey advertizes? The one that won't change their curriculum so that they receive any govt. funds? Also, is this school even accredited? :lol

batman2883
11-11-2005, 12:10 PM
that shit is funny if i ran for mayor would you guys vote for me?? i would work wonders for the city and i would have the spurs practice facility open for all st original members

Marklar MM
11-11-2005, 03:14 PM
He should have run for mayor of Detroit...they fuckin reelected Kwame. WTF. He is ranked like one of the worst mayors in the U.S.

Sportcamper
11-11-2005, 03:24 PM
http://wwwimage.cbs.com/hp_2004/images/blocks/b_ls_dave.jpg

Top Ten Good Things About Being An 18-Year-Old Mayor

It's flattering when President Bush calls me for advice.

Only victory speech featuring the word "dude".

School bullies now have to deal with the feds.

I don't have to wait in line at Applebee's anymore.

Trying to get the city hall on an episode of "MTV Cribs".

I got a call from Demi Moore.

Goodbye, education budget -- Hello, brand new X-box!

It's every teen's dream: The power to regulate zoning laws.

Every night, a different member of the town council does my homework.

Parents try to tell me what to do, I raise their taxes.

j-6
11-11-2005, 03:25 PM
He should have run for mayor of Detroit...they fuckin reelected Kwame. WTF. He is ranked like one of the worst mayors in the U.S.

Big Diamond got reelected? I didn't see that. I thought he was the first mayor in city history to lose in the primaries.

Marklar MM
11-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Big Diamond got reelected? I didn't see that. I thought he was the first mayor in city history to lose in the primaries.

Hendrix was up like 10-15 points on Kwame with 42% of the voting complete. Kwame took lead at like 2 am.