PDA

View Full Version : Spurs were going after Ball, not Wiseman?

SpurSpike
03-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Just came across this article about the Warriors promising to take Ball the night of the draft and then they changed it to Wiseman after finding out about Klays injury.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-promised-lamelo-ball-150257676.html

Since the rumor that the Spurs were going to get that pick for Aldridge all but confirmed does this mean that the Spurs wanted to draft Ball and not Wiseman as many here believed? :wow Just found it interesting and figured id share the info.

Dex
03-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Just came across this article about the Warriors promising to take Ball the night of the draft and then they changed it to Wiseman after finding out about Klays injury.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-promised-lamelo-ball-150257676.html

Since the rumor that the Spurs were going to get that pick for Aldridge all but confirmed does this mean that the Spurs wanted to draft Ball and not Wiseman as many here believed? :wow Just found it interesting and figured id share the info.

I've said all along that Aldridge to the Warriors for #2 was a smoke-screen...even before Klay got injured

daslicer
03-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Doubt the Spurs would want to deal with Lavar Ball after dealing with Uncle Dennis. My prediction is Lamelo will be out of Charlotte after his max contract extension is over.

Maddog
03-10-2021, 02:20 PM
I've said all along that Aldridge to the Warriors for #2 was a smoke-screen...even before Klay got injured

Yes
There probably never was a LMA for the second pick deal in the works- just wishful thinking by Spurs fans
If there was even a hint- I suspect GS was not serious
Never saw it myself- giving away the number two pick for a player past his prime...

gambit1990
03-10-2021, 02:21 PM
haven't seen wiseman play. lamelo is the real deal though.

R. DeMurre
03-10-2021, 03:02 PM
Rumors are fun to chase for those of us who follow the NBA, but I have to ask why Jalen Rose would be privy to the thoughts & strategies of Golden State's GM Bob Myers...
It would be bad news for a team to promise a player & his agent that you're going to pick them and then renege, so while not impossible I kinda doubt that's the case.

exstatic
03-10-2021, 03:04 PM
Yes
There probably never was a LMA for the second pick deal in the works- just wishful thinking by Spurs fans
If there was even a hint- I suspect GS was not serious
Never saw it myself- giving away the number two pick for a player past his prime...

AGAIN, it was never #2 for LMA, it was #2 plus $60M in bad salary for an ending contract, which happened to be LMA, allegedly. When you want to dump that much salary, it costs a lot in assets.

exstatic
03-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Rumors are fun to chase for those of us who follow the NBA, but I have to ask why Jalen Rose would be privy to the thoughts & strategies of Golden State's GM Bob Myers...
It would be bad news for a team to promise a player & his agent that you're going to pick them and then renege, so while not impossible I kinda doubt that's the case.

Yeah, I’m thinking Lavar would have screamed bloody murder on a broken promise.

The Truth #6
03-10-2021, 03:05 PM
I read it as they told Klay the night of the draft that they were going to take him and then didn't. The Klay injury was hours before, right? So if they told LaMelo they were drafting him at draft night, then they already knew about the injury. To me this suggests that, yes the LMA trade was likely bogus, but it doesn't mean the Spurs were linked to getting LaMelo. This sounds more like GS just trying to figure out what their needs were, to me at least.

pad300
03-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Your logic doesn't follow. Just because Warriors might have chosen Ball over Wiseman, doesn't mean Spurs would make the same choice with the #2.

Sugus
03-10-2021, 04:11 PM
The Warriors absolutely told LaMelo he was going #2. I don't have the video at hand, but it's searchable on YouTube: LaMelo was doing an IG Live transmission on draft night, and he "strongly hinted" (literally holding up two fingers to the screen, with a victorious smile on his face, repeatedly) that he was going #2. Why the Warriors didn't pick him, I don't know, but it's clear someone had told LaMelo he was going to Golden State (or whomever might trade for the #2 pick, I guess).

I find it really unlikely that the Spurs would've targeted LaMelo with #2 though. Doesn't make much sense roster-wise, and as others have said, Pop and LaVar is a no-no.

slick'81
03-10-2021, 04:41 PM
The warriors just came out and said they would of moved wiseman now or before the draft for a "once in a generational talent" something tells me that wasnt lma

MultiTroll
03-10-2021, 06:00 PM
I find it really unlikely that the Spurs would've targeted LaMelo with #2 though. Doesn't make much sense roster-wise, and as others have said, Pop and LaVar is a no-no.
And we sure want Pop to get what he wants. Certainly didn't want something like this:

According to Elias Sports Bureau, Ball is the only player in the last 60 seasons to lead all rookies in total points, assists, rebounds and steals at the All-Star break.

Mr. Body
03-10-2021, 06:22 PM
The Warriors absolutely told LaMelo he was going #2. I don't have the video at hand, but it's searchable on YouTube: LaMelo was doing an IG Live transmission on draft night, and he "strongly hinted" (literally holding up two fingers to the screen, with a victorious smile on his face, repeatedly) that he was going #2. Why the Warriors didn't pick him, I don't know, but it's clear someone had told LaMelo he was going to Golden State (or whomever might trade for the #2 pick, I guess).

It absolutely was going to happen! Trust me, bro, you gotta see the Youtube video where he thows up a V for victory or peace sign! Totally happening, bro!

EricB
03-10-2021, 11:20 PM

youd be wrong. Trade was agreed to until Thompson’s injury and yes Ball was the guy. Pop sees Jason Kidd in Ball.

The Truth #6
03-10-2021, 11:23 PM
youd be wrong. Trade was agreed to until Thompson’s injury and yes Ball was the guy. Pop sees Jason Kidd in Ball.

Sounds like you have an inside source?

daslicer
03-11-2021, 12:31 AM
And we sure want Pop to get what he wants. Certainly didn't want something like this:

According to Elias Sports Bureau, Ball is the only player in the last 60 seasons to lead all rookies in total points, assists, rebounds and steals at the All-Star break.

He's averaging 15.8 points, 6.3 assist, 6.0 reb, 1.6 stl. I think he's going to be an all-star talent soon but his numbers are not out of this world amazing. It shows 1 of 2 things which is this rookie class could be weak or they are not fully developed yet. We will know for sure in the next few years.

MultiTroll
03-11-2021, 01:05 AM
He's averaging 15.8 points, 6.3 assist, 6.0 reb, 1.6 stl. I think he's going to be an all-star talent soon but his numbers are not out of this world amazing. It shows 1 of 2 things which is this rookie class could be weak or they are not fully developed yet. We will know for sure in the next few years.
1. Have you watched him play?
2. Did you see this part: Ball is the only player in the last 60 seasons

R. DeMurre
03-11-2021, 01:54 AM
Ball has impressed me, but I'd still take Haliburton over him. I have a feeling the difference in shooting percentages will be a constant as they move forward:

Haliburton:
43.3% 3pt%
56.2% 2pt%
60.8% eFG%

Ball"
37.8% 3pt%
49.8% 2pt%
52.7% eFG%

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=halibty01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=ballla01&p2yrfrom=2021

Reminds me a lot of a Curry vs Harden debate.

daslicer
03-11-2021, 02:07 AM
1. Have you watched him play?
2. Did you see this part: Ball is the only player in the last 60 seasons

1. I live in Charlotte so I have watched a lot of his games. Do you lack reading comprehension skills? I never said he was garbage just said the rookie class so far sucks so it doesn't mean shit that he's leading them in scoring,rebounding,assists,steals when those numbers are just good but not amazing numbers. You are acting like he's averaging 30-10-8-2 when in reality he's only averaging 15.8-6.3-6-1.6. Good numbers but not amazing. Just like what I said before which is his fellow rookie class has been pretty weak so far.

GreekSpursfan
03-11-2021, 03:51 AM
Ball is LA bound at some point in his career, unnecessary thread

daslicer
03-11-2021, 04:05 AM
Ball is LA bound at some point in his career, unnecessary thread

Agreed he will either be in LA or NYC.

KobesAchilles
03-11-2021, 03:04 PM
Lonzo ruined Lamelo's shot at joining the warriors. There are a lot of shitty overbearing parents in the sports world. As long as their kid is a star then you put up with it. Curry and Lamelo would be awesome together. Lucky for us he fell in Jordan's lap

Sugus
03-11-2021, 05:27 PM

You're using today's newspaper to judge a past event. No one, not even LaMelo fanboys (is there even such a thing? :lol) thought he'd be this good, this quick. A part of me is skeptical of his production, perhaps because his pro experience before the NBA makes him an unnaturally polished rookie compared to most, but he's undeniably talented for sure.

Even with hindsight, I think I'd still take Wiseman, tbh. We'll have to wait a few years to see who turns out to be the better player, it's never as easy as just looking at (half) their rookie seasons and just calling an absolute that one or the other is just better. Wiseman has significantly less experience, and I have little doubt that, barring injury, he'll live up to his pick status. Lastly, Pop and Lavar remains a no-no :lol

Sugus
03-11-2021, 05:30 PM
It absolutely was going to happen! Trust me, bro, you gotta see the Youtube video where he thows up a V for victory or peace sign! Totally happening, bro!

We'll never know for sure, but it was a pretty heavy indicator - definitely not a "V for victory" kinda thing. Did you watch the video? Posters here make up the wildest theories on much shakier evidence :lol

It's a believe-or-explode thing, tbh (is that an expression in English? hmm). Regardless of who the Warriors would've picked, I'm fairly sure that the Spurs wouldn't have taken LaMelo, and that's all that matters (well, it doesn't matter at all, besides me making that point, since it didn't go down).