PDA

View Full Version : LMA is gone!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

cd021
03-15-2021, 07:10 PM
Let’s get this rolling already!

GSW: DeRozan, Aldridge, Walker, & SAS 2022 1st
SAS: Wiggins, Oubre, Wiseman, & the Minny pick

We give up our 1st in 2022 since the Minny pick will be unprotected then. So basically a “pick swap” that year and it will probably be a top 5 pick.

BOS: Gay
SAS: 2022 2nd

2022 2nd to replace the one we traded a few years back.

Yikes.

So The Warriors would be giving up the number 2 pick, a player that they really like, plus one of the best assets in the NBA in the Minny pick in this deal? Also, that's a lot of salary changing hands, a much simpler deal would be:

Aldridge for Wiggins, Looney, and GSW's 2021 and 2023 first.

GSW save $36.7 million next season plus saving millions more in luxury tax while being able to re-sign Oubre, bring back Thompson, and possibly adding a top pick, to Wiseman, Curry and Draymond

Spurs move Aldridge and get two firsts out of it.

BackHome
03-15-2021, 07:15 PM
I would probably have a couple of Mini Strokes if that happened..lol

FutureMan
03-15-2021, 07:37 PM
Are they also trading for Tristan Thompson? Because Klay isn’t playing anymore this year.

In all seriousness though, to people saying Demar is “an expiring” are totally off base. He would absolutely resign with GSW and a trade like this would be there only way to acquire someone of his caliber. I’d jump at that trade in a heartbeat, and don’t think Golden State hangs up the phone that quickly. Maybe if you drop the Minny and Spurs picks from the equation, you get to something a little more fair.

That lineup is for next year. I’m very familiar with every player, their injury status, and their salary, to put it mildly. Also I wouldn’t side with some of these other posters so quickly. They all failed to read or understand the Minny pick is protected. Automatically shows where their knowledge stands. Thank you for your feedback however. I like tossing trades out there to see what people think.

Dverde
03-15-2021, 07:46 PM
I’m surprised Rudy and Patty haven’t joined the Uncoupling of 2021. Team and player agree that it’s best to break up.

RC_Drunkford
03-15-2021, 07:58 PM
I’m surprised Rudy and Patty haven’t joined the Uncoupling of 2021. Team and player agree that it’s best to break up.

where else would they get the green light to throw up any shot they want all the time?

BacktoBasics
03-15-2021, 08:30 PM
That's highly likely to be the case. If a team needed cap space though, and wanted to give us a guy like Love or Wiggins that has multiple years on a contract, the Spurs wouldn't trade LMA unless a draft pick is attached. It's not LMA being exchanged for the draft pick, it's the cap space.

I understand the argument and it’s not going to happen. No amount of cap relief is going to make a team give up a lottery pick. Period. It isn’t happening unless we return additional rotation players.

No team in the top 10 is seeking significant cap relief either.

We’re not getting a 1st unless we attach a significant (and young) rotation player.

BacktoBasics
03-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Let’s get this rolling already!

GSW: DeRozan, Aldridge, Walker, & SAS 2022 1st
SAS: Wiggins, Oubre, Wiseman, & the Minny pick

We give up our 1st in 2022 since the Minny pick will be unprotected then. So basically a “pick swap” that year and it will probably be a top 5 pick.

BOS: Gay
SAS: 2022 2nd

2022 2nd to replace the one we traded a few years back.

This is what I’m talking about. You’re insane if you think GSW are giving up Wiseman and a lottery pick for 2 years of DDR and player with half the potential as Wiseman.

FutureMan
03-15-2021, 09:07 PM
This is what I’m talking about. You’re insane if you think GSW are giving up Wiseman and a lottery pick for 2 years of DDR and player with half the potential as Wiseman.

At this point I’m interested to see how the next couple years play out. Almost everyone here is convinced that things will play out one way and only one way. But, there is a possibility that things change. I’m not betting on it however it is possible for Minnesota to become a playoff team or a boarder line playoff team in two years. If the 2021 draft is as “stacked” as people say and they pull off a Collins trade they have a potential lineup of:

Russell
2021 1st
Edwards
Collins
Anthony-Towns

Again I’m not saying it’s going to happen but that pick has a lot of flexibility that people aren’t thinking of. It may be the most overvalued pick we’ve ever seen. People talk about it nonstop.

The_Worlds_finest
03-15-2021, 09:35 PM

Can I Pique your interest if Samanic was included?

paperboy77
03-15-2021, 09:36 PM
WTF front office! Let’s go!

cjw
03-15-2021, 09:57 PM
That lineup is for next year. I’m very familiar with every player, their injury status, and their salary, to put it mildly. Also I wouldn’t side with some of these other posters so quickly. They all failed to read or understand the Minny pick is protected. Automatically shows where their knowledge stands. Thank you for your feedback however. I like tossing trades out there to see what people think.

Got it and sorry for not realizing that. I agree that adding Demar to Klay and Steph is game over for most defenses. He actually meshes with them perfectly. And maybe LMA can find fountain of youth and be retained reasonably. LWIV isn’t a bad bench piece either.

People dismissing your trade without thinking about it are seriously undervaluing Demar. He’s not going for Harden levels, but that’s not what you were proposing.

The Minny pick is either in the 4-7ish range this year, or similar next year assuming they improve slightly. Still is among most valuable draft trade chips in league right now.

FutureMan
03-15-2021, 10:16 PM
Got it and sorry for not realizing that. I agree that adding Demar to Klay and Steph is game over for most defenses. He actually meshes with them perfectly. And maybe LMA can find fountain of youth and be retained reasonably. LWIV isn’t a bad bench piece either.

People dismissing your trade without thinking about it are seriously undervaluing Demar. He’s not going for Harden levels, but that’s not what you were proposing.

The Minny pick is either in the 4-7ish range this year, or similar next year assuming they improve slightly. Still is among most valuable draft trade chips in league right now.

Thanks again! Admittedly, this is the most frustrating time I’ve had as a Spurs fan. The delay on the Aldridge trade is increasing that feeling. I’m afraid that every day they wait his value lowers.

exstatic
03-15-2021, 10:27 PM
i’ll add a 3rd:

PATFO is probably still examining how likely of a potential playoff team we are. That may dictate an LMA trade that helps immediately versus a buy out and conceding it’s time to write the season off.

We were bouncing between 4 and 6 when COVID shut us down. We are deep and cohesive. We’ll have guys who can come in and play rotation minutes when we need to rest regular rotation guys. My take is that we will finish between 4 and 6, right where we were.

Teamduncan21
03-15-2021, 10:28 PM
Thanks again! Admittedly, this is the most frustrating time I’ve had as a Spurs fan. The delay on the Aldridge trade is increasing that feeling. I’m afraid that every day they wait his value lowers.

Just conside him no or negative value. He do any contribute to our games already. So even if we end up just letting his contract expire it doesn't affect us. Whatever we get out of this is really just bonus.
W signed him. It didn't worked out as expected. And now he is old but he don't want to come off the bench. We just need to accept

exstatic
03-15-2021, 10:31 PM
Great point. For me no one is untouchable. Would hate to see DJ, Keldon go for me they are cornerstone pieces if we could add all star level talent. To a lesser extent would think White or Vassell are certainly in the ling term plans. Luka, Jak and Lonnie are my preferred exits of value.

Watching trades over the last 3 years, trying for top difference making talent would take 3 of the youngsters plus a handful of first rounders. I haven’t heard of any such player being available.

exstatic
03-15-2021, 10:33 PM
Spurs trade them Rudy to get Zach Collins. Spurs immediately buy out LMA instead of trading him allowing Portland a chance of also getting LMA.

https://i.postimg.cc/43YR3s0p/F8-C1-EB03-2-F15-4633-BA56-8-C229-B1-AB9-A3.jpg

That’s fucking horrible.

exstatic
03-15-2021, 10:38 PM
Don't see the point in giving up a draft pick for Barnes. Spurs are fine at the three with Keldon for a fraction of the price.

He’s a productive player who can actually defend and shoot from 3, and he holds the cap room over until 2023, the next big class. No one really worth signing this year, and you can’t just leave it open. Minimum salary threshold, and no one will sign for two years.

exstatic
03-15-2021, 10:41 PM
Send him to Boston for a 2nd. Done.

He's likely to be a buyout otherwise. We don't need more players on the roster and it's unlikely to produce a 1st. Grab a second for a stash high ceiling Euro and be happy.

Can’t be a straight trade like that. While he fits the exception, they are hard capped, and have to send out salary.

bluebellmaniac
03-15-2021, 10:43 PM
Can’t be a straight trade like that. While he fits the exception, they are hard capped, and have to send out salary.

Theis and a 2nd.

Done.

;-)

Degoat
03-16-2021, 09:18 AM
Seeing more articles saying sources are saying LMA is more likely to be bought out then traded :cry

exstatic
03-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Seeing more articles saying sources are saying LMA is more likely to be bought out then traded :cry

Did you mean than, because then means that we buy him out, some team signs him, then trades him.

NBA writers have fallen off a cliff in the last 20 years. You see buyouts, but there was an article last night that said 5 teams were in the trade mix. Best bet is to not stress about it, and wait to see what unfolds.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 09:33 AM

Spurs arent leaking so all the rumor mill stuff is likely other GMs and FO personnel trying to leverage the media

It’s going right up to the deadline though and until a deal materializes I am solidly on team buyout

mo7888
03-16-2021, 09:35 AM

Everything you see this morning on that front is coming from John Hollinger and Henry Abbott who are pushing an angle together.... it's speculation and there's no real sources behind it. That doesn't mean he won't be bought out....it just means the article is bs...

exstatic
03-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Everything you see this morning on that front is coming from John Hollinger and Henry Abbott who are pushing an angle together.... it's speculation and there's no real sources behind it. That doesn't mean he won't be bought out....it just means the article is bs...

Hollinger knows a lot about basketball, but he doesn’t know a lot about the NBA, which is a business/political structure that sits on top of the game. Lowe is the same way. There are very few basketball writers left, only good and substandard gossip columnists.

John B
03-16-2021, 09:42 AM
This is taking toooo long. The longer it takes, the less likely we get a suitable trade. Spurs already has good rotation players, and nobody’s giving a 1st pick for Aldridge. I think it’s closing to a buy out and just a matter of how much Aldridge is willing to give back. I’m still hoping we get at least a 2nd round pick

mo7888
03-16-2021, 09:43 AM
Hollinger knows a lot about basketball, but he doesn’t know a lot about the NBA, which is a business/political structure that sits on top of the game. Lowe is the same way. There are very few basketball writers left, only good and substandard gossip columnists.

I agree with that... Hollinger is very good with stats but he's not a top executive by any means..

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:43 AM
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2x6DHxfTJiUdxviLQOwW4i?si=dAWwGksPQAqx_71vgM9eew&utm_source=copy-link

Per The Athletic,

ALDRIDGE'S camp (not Spurs) believes genuinely there are five teams that are options and that a trade is how this will pan out, not a buyout.

cd021
03-16-2021, 09:45 AM
Sources?

Amick said five teams were in the mix yesterday.

mo7888
03-16-2021, 09:45 AM
This is taking toooo long. The longer it takes, the less likely we get a suitable trade. Spurs already has good rotation players, and nobody’s giving a 1st pick for Aldridge. I think it’s closing to a buy out and just a matter of how much Aldridge is willing to give back. I’m still hoping we get at least a 2nd round pick

My opinion (which admittedly isn't worth much) is that we have a deal or two in place to move lma for a minimal return but, we are holding off and guaging what we can buy with his contract before we move him. More players are becoming available and we may be trying to upgrade now as opposed to just creating cap space..... that's just my guess..

Degoat
03-16-2021, 09:50 AM
Sources?

Amick said five teams were in the mix yesterday.

I saw a sports illustrated article this morning saying he’s more likely to be bought out.

Degoat
03-16-2021, 09:52 AM
I totally agree that there’s nobody that knows what the spurs are doing from a trading front, but when the media puts out stuff about how LMA is washed or that he will probably get bought out I swear it hurts the spurs leverage to make any trades lol

exstatic
03-16-2021, 09:56 AM
My opinion (which admittedly isn't worth much) is that we have a deal or two in place to move lma for a minimal return but, we are holding off and guaging what we can buy with his contract before we move him. More players are becoming available and we may be trying to upgrade now as opposed to just creating cap space..... that's just my guess..

That sounds about right.

You don’t trade with 10 days left. Too much can happen. Players crap out like Dipo. Players get injured. The market dries up for buyers. There are probably at LEAST a dozen teams wanting to buy, thinking they can move up, or fortify their roster for the stretch run. Think of the game musical chairs. The people playing are the NBA teams. The chairs are the player assets on the market. Teams will get left out in the cold, if they cheap out.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Who knows, maybe the Spurs are dangling their first round pick and seeing if its value will increase (if they keep losing) before they attach it to LMA.

exstatic
03-16-2021, 10:04 AM
Who knows, maybe the Spurs are dangling their first round pick and seeing if its value will increase (if they keep losing) before they attach it to LMA.

They won’t attach the pick, unless something good like Barnes comes back.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 10:09 AM
They won’t attach the pick, unless something good like Barnes comes back.

Well, yeah. I wouldn't give it up for simply nothing either.

Still crossing my fingers for a Barnes+Holmes trade.

exstatic
03-16-2021, 10:15 AM
Well, yeah. I wouldn't give it up for simply nothing either.

Still crossing my fingers for a Barnes+Holmes trade.

Holmes would put the Spurs pretty squarely and firmly into the tax, by multiple millions. He’s also a FA, so you don’t want to throw another asset into the deal. Just sign him this summer, if you want him.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 10:24 AM
Holmes would put the Spurs pretty squarely and firmly into the tax, by multiple millions. He’s also a FA, so you don’t want to throw another asset into the deal. Just sign him this summer, if you want him.

Lyles+ Aldridge + 1st for Barnes + Holmes wouldn't put you into tax

Again, no guarantee he would sign with the Spurs when there are multiple suitors. Better to secure him early.

MultiTroll
03-16-2021, 10:30 AM
Can Pet Wombat be included or no way? :pop:

exstatic
03-16-2021, 10:32 AM
Lyles+ Aldridge + 1st for Barnes + Holmes wouldn't put you into tax

Again, no guarantee he would sign with the Spurs when there are multiple suitors. Better to secure him early.

I’ll have to disagree. No matter if he’s in the trade, or not, you’re still competing for him in the FA market next summer. Securing him early does nothing, in this case.

BacktoBasics
03-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Can I Pique your interest if Samanic was included?

Not really. Wiseman looks like the real deal.

JuneJive
03-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Boston isn’t interested in an Aldridge deal (more on that below; they prefer to target Barnes ) and Miami is unlikely to put together the package of players needed to make one work. Barring something unforeseen, league sources see it as more likely that Aldridge is bought out after the deadline.

via Chris Mannix

exstatic
03-16-2021, 01:53 PM
Boston isn’t interested in an Aldridge deal (more on that below; they prefer to target Barnes ) and Miami is unlikely to put together the package of players needed to make one work. Barring something unforeseen, league sources see it as more likely that Aldridge is bought out after the deadline.

via Chris Mannix
Don’t pay any attention to anything linked to Boston. Teams, Boston in particular, leak all kinds of bullshit. If you take what is leaked, and turn it 180 degrees, assuming the opposite, that’s closer to what will happen than the leaks.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 02:00 PM

via Chris Mannix

It doesn't go from five teams (LMA's camp leaked it, mind you) to zero.

Smokescreen upon smokescreen.

This could go either way. But no report should convince anyone it's a done deal for either side.

I personally can't wait for the trade deadline to be over.

look_at_g_shred
03-16-2021, 02:10 PM
Might be in the minority here, but I would love Harkless on the spurs.

JuneJive
03-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Realistically, LMA looks done. He can provide a scoring spark from the bench in a limited role.

I really don't think the Spurs can get anything of value for him. And I really don't think they will package him with something else in a "buyers" type of a deal.

Degoat
03-16-2021, 02:24 PM
The inside reporters are full of it, I bet if the spurs trade LMA it will be to a team that hasn’t even been mentioned by them like Charlotte, bucks, OKC, magic or something. Anytime a player becomes available everyone gets linked to Boston, Miami for a reason lol

exstatic
03-16-2021, 02:29 PM

I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it enough to put him in front of the youngsters. He’d be taking their minutes.

GreekSpursfan
03-16-2021, 03:50 PM
Gets bought out and ends up a fucking laker, that's my final prediction

NASpurs
03-16-2021, 04:39 PM
Y'all still love Jabroni Young right?

buttsR4rebounding
03-16-2021, 04:46 PM
It doesn't go from five teams (LMA's camp leaked it, mind you) to zero.

Smokescreen upon smokescreen.

This could go either way. But no report should convince anyone it's a done deal for either side.

I personally can't wait for the trade deadline to be over.

Aldridge's camp would have no reason to fabricate that. They would probably prefer a buy out. The discount won't amount to much and he'll get to go to the team he chooses. So I have to believe they are rooting for a buy out.

buttsR4rebounding
03-16-2021, 04:48 PM

Yeah, old Jabroni is too chewy.

The Truth #6
03-16-2021, 04:48 PM

Spurs overplayed their hand in trade talks, he says. That matches my guess. But that’s been their M.O. for years. Or do teams really not want to help us. Could be that too.

stephen jackson
03-16-2021, 04:52 PM
Have the league is Spurs tree lol I don’t believe jaron but we probably always asked for the world in trades and execs know that so stay away from us in

SpursRussia
03-16-2021, 04:53 PM
Aldridge's camp would have no reason to fabricate that. They would probably prefer a buy out. The discount won't amount to much and he'll get to go to the team he chooses. So I have to believe they are rooting for a buy out.

I believe it might be the opposite, not having to sacrifice money in buyout and saving his bird rights for a bigger next contract are pros in trade scenario for LMA

Dverde
03-16-2021, 04:54 PM
Spurs overplayed their hand in trade talks, he says. That matches my guess. But that’s been their M.O. for years. Or do teams really not want to help us. Could be that too.

It’s the Spurs overvaluing their players. They wanted a first rounder for Dejuan Blair sitting on the bench. Golden State pulls off all sorts of deals despite the entire league hating them.

Degoat
03-16-2021, 04:55 PM
I really hope the spurs are able to find a deal before the deadline but ultimately it doesn’t matter, LMA was gonna leave in the summer anyways

Prime BEEF
03-16-2021, 05:25 PM
It’s the Spurs overvaluing their players. They wanted a first rounder for Dejuan Blair sitting on the bench. Golden State pulls off all sorts of deals despite the entire league hating them.
Yup. Exactly this

exstatic
03-16-2021, 05:47 PM

A trade doesn’t preclude a buyout. Also, if he’s traded to a team he likes, he doesn’t lose money by being bought out.

jjspur
03-16-2021, 05:53 PM
AT least 60% or more of the people on this site think that Aldridge will be bought out rather than traded. Its not our preference, we spend weeks talking about it. After years and years of the spurs doing next to nothing at the trade deadline, you can almost see how this plays out. Just wish this time was an exception.

tonight...you
03-16-2021, 06:01 PM

I hate the way this is worded.
They wanted 1st round picks, or they wanted a 1st round pick?
"they wanted a 1st RD picks" is saying both and neither.

Self-editing is your friend Jabari, unless he was being nefariously ambiguous on purpose.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 06:06 PM
I hate the way this is worded.
They wanted 1st round picks, or they wanted a 1st round pick?
"they wanted a 1st RD picks" is saying both and neither.

Self-editing is your friend Jabari, unless he was being nefariously ambiguous on purpose.

of course he is, the whole tweet is smoke anyway. none of it means anything.

tonight...you
03-16-2021, 06:10 PM
of course he is, the whole tweet is smoke anyway. none of it means anything.
Total bush league to talk baby nonsense to CYA.
Just take the "a" out, or don't end picks in a plurality.

Gross and below someone who's supposedly a professional.

Degoat
03-16-2021, 06:10 PM
Watch the spurs buy him out and resign Tyler Zeller lmao

Leetonidas
03-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Watch the spurs buy him out and resign Tyler Zeller lmao

What's Joffrey Lavuergne up to? Or Jeff Ayres :lol

poopbox
03-16-2021, 06:20 PM

I think the spurs do overplay their hands because they are fine not doing a deal and just keeping the status quo...

This coaching staff and this front office don't ever have their jobs threatened and all seem to be in it for the long haul, so yeah i expect them to ask way to much for a player because the worst that is going to happen down the road is business as usual for the spurs...

I don't really have a problem with it though...real life isn't nba 2k and you don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade

poopbox
03-16-2021, 06:22 PM

Harkless always goes to a team to be an athletic wing defender who can make open shots and then he is a terrible defender and doesn't make open shots...

If he could do those two things Dame might have a ring right now

The_Worlds_finest
03-16-2021, 06:39 PM
this sad sack leave yet?

ace3g
03-16-2021, 06:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLwIvXyodw8

BackHome
03-16-2021, 07:35 PM
LMA will be bought out and will loose Derozz for nothing typical Spurs long term strategy of getting back to winning Championships.

23 Pages and LMA Is Still NOT Gone!

Ice009
03-16-2021, 07:38 PM

What is he saying? The Spurs wanted first round picks (or a single first round pick?) for LMA last year? That was reasonable IMO as he wasn't washed up last year, or does he mean at the start of this season they were asking for first round picks?

Chinook
03-16-2021, 07:43 PM

This tweet sucks. If the Spurs weren't going to be able to get a first-round picks last year, then why should they have traded him? Young is suggesting LMA's value's always been low, so the Spurs not being willing to take basically nothing isn't a sign of them messing up.

That said, I think it does seem like LMA wanted out since the beginning of the year and the Spurs were trying to find a way to maximize his trade value by getting him to shoot threes and whatnot. They might've overplayed their hand at that point if they had deals that made sense but they gambled on LMA rehabbing his value by coming out strong to start the year. In retrospect, that would seem very dumb, because he doesn't tend to do that. But I could see why both sides find that scenario appealing. LMA coming out strong and being dealt could've led to him getting a decent extension with that new club.

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 07:48 PM
This tweet sucks. If the Spurs weren't going to be able to get a first-round picks last year, then why should they have traded him? Young is suggesting LMA's value's always been low, so the Spurs not being willing to take basically nothing isn't a sign of them messing up.

He's also saying teams wouldn't trade for Aldridge -- ostensibly a player they otherwise would have liked -- because they don't like the Spurs. It's a remarkably stupid tweet.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 07:58 PM
LMA will be bought out and will loose Derozz for nothing typical Spurs long term strategy of getting back to winning Championships.

Unless we come out like bandits on a deal (we won't), this is likely to turn into a 100 page thread because you know ST's tendency is to be outraged by any little thing the Spurs do.

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 08:07 PM

Lol, wtf does the number of pages on a fan forum have to do with it?

BackHome
03-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Lol..Not a Damn Thing But I am Bored as Hell..

exstatic
03-16-2021, 08:19 PM
He's also saying teams wouldn't trade for Aldridge -- ostensibly a player they otherwise would have liked -- because they don't like the Spurs. It's a remarkably stupid tweet.

Jabroni is still butthurt because he carried water for uncle Dennis and burned his bridges with the Spurs, then got dumped.

Seventyniner
03-16-2021, 08:42 PM
While it's a one- or two-off, I'm rooting against the Celtics right now. They might get more desperate if they keep losing.

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 08:44 PM
While it's a one- or two-off, I'm rooting against the Celtics right now. They might get more desperate if they keep losing.

They should have recognized problems weeks ago, but Ainge is one pigheaded and dumb motherfucker.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 08:50 PM
Watch a trade like Lauri Markkanen + Thad. Young for LMA + 1st come out of nowhere.

Not a big fan of Lauri, but if we can re-sign him for cheap, sure.

Chicago is unlikely to keep him as they probably see Pat as their future four and Lauri is injury prone.

Lyles would get waived in this scenario.

You'll have Lauri and Luka battling for minutes. Luka probably gets discouraged even further. I don't see Lauri being a good C at all. His natural position is PF. Lauri's more proven than Luka, but his injury history might lend to justification for making both the future at the PF spot.

Degoat
03-16-2021, 09:00 PM
Watch a trade like Lauri Markkanen + Thad. Young for LMA + 1st come out of nowhere.

Not a big fan of Lauri, but if we can re-sign him for cheap, sure.

Chicago is unlikely to keep him as they probably see Pat as their future four and Lauri is injury prone.

Lyles would get waived in this scenario.

You'll have Lauri and Luka battling for minutes. Luka probably gets discouraged even further. I don't see Lauri being a good C at all. His natural position is PF. Lauri's more proven than Luka, but his injury history might lend to justification for making both the future at the PF spot.

That would be awesome! I really hope we pull something like that off, it’s pretty odd how quiet things on the trade front in the league, the only teams I hear mentioned are the lakers, Celtics, heat, All the other teams are being pretty quiet

NASpurs
03-16-2021, 09:03 PM

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:17 PM
As mentioned before, Spurs like to divide the team in practice in five groups of three.

PG's: Murray/ Tre/ Q
Combo Guards, Wings: White/ Vassell/ Lonnie
Big Forward: DeMar/ Keldon/ KBD
Stretch Big: Lauri/ Luka/ Gay
Anchor Big: Poeltl/ Eubanks/ 2nd

In this scenario,
-Mills walks to get more money from another team
-Tre gets promoted to take Mills' spot
-Gay re-signs with us and is convinced to take more of a mentor role
-We use our 2nd round pick on a third Anchor Big (who can shoot)

My preference is for DeMar to walk too so Keldon can start, but not sure about the likelihood of that...

BackHome
03-16-2021, 09:46 PM
Like Lauri but he is a walking China Doll has he even come back from his shoulder injury?

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:47 PM
Actually, I could see the Bulls wanting Luka as part of the deal for Lauri...

Hence why I share this "absurd paranoia" that we're hiding Luka because the Spurs value him and don't want other teams to be interested...

Makes sense from the Bulls' POV-- replace the player you can't afford any longer with a cheaper similar one you don't have to pay until a year later.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:53 PM
Like Lauri but he is a walking China Doll has he even come back from his shoulder injury?

Yep, he's scored 14, 22, 20 since coming back.

exstatic
03-16-2021, 09:54 PM
Actually, I could see the Bulls wanting Luka as part of the deal for Lauri...

Hence why I share this "absurd paranoia" that we're hiding Luka because the Spurs value him and don't want other teams to be interested...

Makes sense from the Bulls' POV-- replace the place you can't afford any longer with a cheaper one you don't have to pay until a year later.

No. LM is a walking disaster on defense, and Luka is a true two way. We should keep the cheaper two way player, and continue to develop him.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:57 PM
No. LM is a walking disaster on defense, and Luka is a true two way. We should keep the cheaper two way player, and continue to develop him.

I mean, that's my preference too. But I wouldn't be opposed to a two-headed monster at that position with both of them on the team. It's not a stretch that Lauri may be inclined to have more of a complementary role given his body being fragile. Heck, he might even be okay with coming off the bench if he's starry-eyed about the Spurs organization like most international players.

Degoat
03-16-2021, 09:58 PM
I do believe the spurs could be hiding Luka in hopes that teams dont ask about him in trades, but we need to pump the breaks a bit lol he’s had like two good games in his career, his play was really encouraging but let’s not act like he’s the second coming.

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 10:03 PM
I do believe the spurs could be hiding Luka in hopes that teams dont ask about him in trades, but we need to pump the breaks a bit lol he’s had like two good games in his career, his play was really encouraging but let’s not act like he’s the second coming.

Stop shitting on my hopes with logic

Degoat
03-16-2021, 10:09 PM
Stop shitting on my hopes with logic

True my bad, we all need hope when it comes to this team lmao he has a high upside but I gotta see more.

FutureMan
03-16-2021, 11:02 PM
Tossing another trade out there. How many picks and or what kind of picks gets this done:

SAS: Grant & Plumlee
DET: Aldridge & Walker

rotation would like something like -

Murray. Mills
DeRozan. White
Johnson. Vassell
Grant. Gay/Samanic
Poeltl. Plumlee

Degoat
03-16-2021, 11:28 PM
Tossing another trade out there. How many picks and or what kind of picks gets this done:

Murray. Mills
DeRozan. White
Johnson. Vassell
Grant. Gay/Samanic
Poeltl. Plumlee

Would be awesome but the spurs would have to cough up at least two first rounders imo

look_at_g_shred
03-16-2021, 11:30 PM

Murray. Mills
DeRozan. White
Johnson. Vassell
Grant. Gay/Samanic
Poeltl. Plumlee
Grant looked pretty average tbh

Thomas82
03-17-2021, 12:58 AM
Have the league is Spurs tree lol don’t believe jaron but we probably always asked for the world in trades and execs know that so stay away from us in

You can chalk that up to PATFO overvaluing their players.

BatManu20
03-17-2021, 01:17 AM
Spurs aren’t trading LMA to fucking Detroit :lol.

The Spurs do right by their players. It’s one of the things they have going for them in terms of their reputation around the league. They’ll just buy him out and let him choose his next club before they trade him to a lottery team, unless there’s an agreement beforehand that said lottery team will buy him out upon being traded.

BatManu20
03-17-2021, 01:32 AM
This is all moot though. LMA isn’t going to be traded. Spurs waited too long. He’ll be bought out in the next 2 weeks and sign with whoever he wants. Just hope it’s not the Lakers tbh.

Mr. Body
03-17-2021, 01:59 AM

The Spurs do right by their players. It’s one of the things they have going for them in terms of their reputation around the league. They’ll just buy him out and let him choose his next club before they trade him to a lottery team, unless there’s an agreement beforehand that said lottery team will buy him out upon being traded.

Be careful. People around here freak when you mention stuff like this.

duncan2150
03-17-2021, 06:52 AM
Just buy him out, he will give you nothing on a trade or maybe a secound round pick. Plus you'll have to probably cut some players.

FutureMan
03-17-2021, 08:07 AM

Thats definitely what I would expect from the deal. If I was Aldridge in this scenario I’d then sign with the Nets and bounce every team that didn’t trade for me on the way to a ring.

Dejounte
03-17-2021, 08:38 AM
https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/1371988080186564609?s=19

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1372181448145403911?s=19

mo7888
03-17-2021, 09:10 AM
I see Lauri (if he's here) as a starting 4 and backup 5 and Luka as a backup 4 for now. In a year or two I'd expect Luka to take the starting 4 because of his 2-way game. Either way it'd be good competition as long as we moved on from Rudy and Lyles.

mo7888
03-17-2021, 09:11 AM

Something is definitely being discussed with all these guys on varying teams being held out...

duncan2150
03-17-2021, 09:23 AM

They are also in talks for Ariza, they will do something before the deadline but not sure about LMA.

Degoat
03-17-2021, 09:26 AM
There not giving up Achiwua or Chris Silva for Ariza tho maybe Bradley, Iggy. There up to something

buttsR4rebounding
03-17-2021, 09:49 AM
There not giving up Achiwua or Chris Silva for Ariza tho maybe Bradley, Iggy. There up to something

So where do they see their biggest weakness. Is it more wing help to try get by the Nets? Or is it big help to get past the LeBronettes? Or both?

Degoat
03-17-2021, 10:03 AM
So where do they see their biggest weakness. Is it more wing help to try get by the Nets? Or is it big help to get past the LeBronettes? Or both?

I don’t know I think most teams out East are concerned about matching up with Joel Embiid in the playoffs but who knows for sure

rankingtear
03-17-2021, 10:14 AM

They are 25th in offense, guessing they want to play smaller like when they had Crowder. Makes sense that they are going after Rudy and Ariza someone who allows them to play more perimeter oriented and while still being big. LA is a luxury, they won't go far with a bottom 10 offense.

Dex
03-17-2021, 10:24 AM
OP: LMA is gone!

Narrator: LMA was, indeed, not gone.

The Truth #6
03-17-2021, 10:26 AM
Would people trade Lonnie for Precious? Or at least as part of a LMA package? I love Lonnie but curious what people think.

PrimeMinister
03-17-2021, 10:31 AM
Would people trade Lonnie for Precious? Or at least as part of a LMA package? I love Lonnie but curious what people think.

Nah. Count me in as a member of Lonnie island.

id consider a future first though to sweeten a package to make it happen. 2023 unprotected. By then I think the roster is filling up with first round picks and I’m gonna fire a hot take and say that pick is in the 20-25 range and closer to 25.

eDizzle20
03-17-2021, 10:39 AM
The Heat go against Memphis tonight. If Precious is out again tonight without an injury designation after playing on a consistent basis like he had been that will be very telling.

JuneJive
03-17-2021, 10:41 AM
No way the Heat trade Achiuwa.

You don't trade a rookie.

Degoat
03-17-2021, 10:41 AM

he’s gone in spirit lol

cd98
03-17-2021, 10:42 AM

I kind of see Lonnie as a holding piece to see what DDR does. I think that he is the closest guy to supplying what DDR does if DDR walks or gets traded. I don't think he's nearly as good as DDR, but he does have a smooth jump shot and he shoot the midrange well and he also gets to the rim quite easily, he just needs to improve at finishing. I think the Spurs are still high on him and he floats around the rotation depending on what DDR does. That doesn't mean Walker would succeed if DDR left, just that he has the skill set to drive in the lane and find open players and also the ability to shoot threes, midrange, and get to the rim. Those make him valuable and someone to hold onto and hope he develops into a player on DDR level or dream that he will be better.

But despite what people say here, DDR is an elite player and if he played in the 90s, when the NBA favored his game, he'd be a bigger star than he is now. We'll be lucky if any of our current talent grows to his level of basketball.

The Truth #6
03-17-2021, 10:45 AM
If they are dangling Precious, then I would be curious to see if we could get him. Obviously, not going to happen but as fans we persist.

cd021
03-17-2021, 10:45 AM
Something is definitely being discussed with all these guys on varying teams being held out...
A three team deal maybe, with:

Spurs Receiving-Iguodala, Achuwa, 2nd round pick (from 3rd team)

Heat Receiving- Aldridge

3rd Team Receiving -Harkless

Its not nothing, Achuwa is supposed to be pretty good and is still on rookie scale for 3 more seasons after this one.

Dverde
03-17-2021, 10:49 AM
I hope things go better for LMA than it did for Gasol. Cried and left the team over reduced role, realize no other team is going to start you, get hurt playing off the bench, sign a vet minimum contract next year, get hurt again, retire. Sometimes these fools don’t see how the Spurs take care of you and the grass isn’t greener.

cd021
03-17-2021, 10:52 AM

With really only one pick to trade (a 2027 second), Achiuwa would probably be the asset that gets moved in lieu of a first or a bunch of seconds. First round picks normally depreciate in terms of value after becoming actual players because other teams may have not valued them as highly.

He's apparently been pretty good and still on rookie scale for the next three years, so he could have pretty good value.

Dverde
03-17-2021, 10:56 AM

You don’t trade a rookie for a seasoned expiring contract vet. I agree with that. I can’t see him coming to the Spurs for LMA or Rudy.

cd98
03-17-2021, 11:09 AM
You don’t trade a rookie for a seasoned expiring contract vet. I agree with that. I can’t see him coming to the Spurs for LMA or Rudy.

Right. I don't think Miami is so close to a title that they would mortgage any future pieces by trading them for LMA or Rudy or some package for both. Maybe if it was a player that moved the needle more to put them in as a front runner, but does anyone believe Gay or LMA would put them over the Nets? I mean, they are in win now mode with Butler, but their other pieces are still young so I agree it makes no sense to give them up for expiring players that may improve your chances slightly.

Dverde
03-17-2021, 11:29 AM
Right. I don't think Miami is so close to a title that they would mortgage any future pieces by trading them for LMA or Rudy or some package for both. Maybe if it was a player that moved the needle more to put them in as a front runner, but does anyone believe Gay or LMA would put them over the Nets? I mean, they are in win now mode with Butler, but their other pieces are still young so I agree it makes no sense to give them up for expiring players that may improve your chances slightly.

And if Miami is so quick to move Precious, we don’t want him anyway, something gotta be wrong with him to trade him so early in his first year.

rjv
03-17-2021, 11:29 AM

while LM would offer spacing with his shooting, i agree about his defensive shortcomings. i don't want to surrender luka in exchange.

PhantomDashCam
03-17-2021, 11:36 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ndf3cLVyuI77O/giphy.gif

Hopefully we can all take one of GOB’s “forget-me-now” when it’s all over with.

The Truth #6
03-17-2021, 11:38 AM
I kind of see Lonnie as a holding piece to see what DDR does. I think that he is the closest guy to supplying what DDR does if DDR walks or gets traded. I don't think he's nearly as good as DDR, but he does have a smooth jump shot and he shoot the midrange well and he also gets to the rim quite easily, he just needs to improve at finishing. I think the Spurs are still high on him and he floats around the rotation depending on what DDR does. That doesn't mean Walker would succeed if DDR left, just that he has the skill set to drive in the lane and find open players and also the ability to shoot threes, midrange, and get to the rim. Those make him valuable and someone to hold onto and hope he develops into a player on DDR level or dream that he will be better.

But despite what people say here, DDR is an elite player and if he played in the 90s, when the NBA favored his game, he'd be a bigger star than he is now. We'll be lucky if any of our current talent grows to his level of basketball.

I agree with all that and would add they may see Lonnie as a Mills replacement as well. And so with both DDR and Mills possibly coming back or not, the uncertainty may mean there is no way they part with Lonnie for insurance, as you say.

On the other hand, hopefully the FO has some plan already in place for what they want to do in case an advantageous trade presents itself.

mo7888
03-17-2021, 12:04 PM
A three team deal maybe, with:

Spurs Receiving-Iguodala, Achuwa, 2nd round pick (from 3rd team)

Heat Receiving- Aldridge

3rd Team Receiving -Harkless

Its not nothing, Achuwa is supposed to be pretty good and is still on rookie scale for 3 more seasons after this one.

I figure precious is going to Houston in an Oladipo deal...we probably get a 2nd or maybe a 1st a few years down the line..

lefty
03-17-2021, 12:08 PM
Kerr made some small improvements like you said but it really came down to Curry becoming an MVP player along with Klay becoming the second best SG in the league that catapulted the Warriors to elite status.
True true

exstatic
03-17-2021, 12:47 PM
Kerr made some small improvements like you said but it really came down to Curry becoming an MVP player along with Klay becoming the second best SG in the league that catapulted the Warriors to elite status.

Uh, his biggest improvement over Mark Jackson was seeing the potential in Draymond Green. He was rotting on the bench, and became the linchpin of the Death lineup. He became a 2 time All NBA, 3 time All Star, and 5 time All Defense. He started 13 out of 161 games under Jackson. He’s started almost ever game since, because Kerr.

RC_Drunkford
03-17-2021, 12:52 PM
I figure precious is going to Houston in an Oladipo deal...we probably get a 2nd or maybe a 1st a few years down the line..

I think so too, they been rumored to want Dipo for a long time now, he's their number 1 trade target. Right now it seems like Miami would want Tucker + Dipo while Boston wants Harrison Barnes. With Aldridge not being the top priority for both teams it makes a trade that much more difficult. I really hope Spurs can get something done and if they get 3 players from the Heat, they can reroute them somewhere else to get pieces that actually fit the team

daslicer
03-17-2021, 02:28 PM
Uh, his biggest improvement over Mark Jackson was seeing the potential in Draymond Green. He was rotting on the bench, and became the linchpin of the Death lineup. He became a 2 time All NBA, 3 time All Star, and 5 time All Defense. He started 13 out of 161 games under Jackson. He’s started almost ever game since, because Kerr.

Even for that move Kerr doesn't deserve any credit. David Lee deserves all the credit for Draymond's success since it was Lee that got hurt in the first game of the regular season that year causing him to miss 24 games. If Lee doesn't injure his hamstring than Green would have never started.

exstatic
03-17-2021, 02:44 PM
Even for that move Kerr doesn't deserve any credit. David Lee deserves all the credit for Draymond's success since it was Lee that got hurt in the first game of the regular season that year causing him to miss 24 games. If Lee doesn't injure his hamstring than Green would have never started.

David lee was hurt a couple of times. Dray did start a dozen or so games the previous two years, but it didn’t stick until Kerr.

daslicer
03-17-2021, 03:25 PM
David lee was hurt a couple of times. Dray did start a dozen or so games the previous two years, but it didn’t stick until Kerr.

Again Kerr doesn't get credit. Warriors were 21-3 to start the season without David Lee that year. It didn't take Kerr being a rocket scientist to figure out starting Green was the better option at that point. My drunk uncle could have figured that out.

TD 21
03-17-2021, 03:59 PM

:lmao Kerr has admitted that he had Green slated for a 10-15 mpg backup combo forward role before essentially falling ass backwards into him taking on the role he's held since.

paperboy77
03-17-2021, 05:43 PM

Green already had that super-role player factor coming of the bench. Already showed he had good intangibles to his game.

spurraider21
03-17-2021, 06:39 PM
this is going to be a buyout, isn't it...

Degoat
03-17-2021, 06:46 PM
I’ll be livid if this ends in a buyout lmao I’ll get over it but there’s deals to be made the spurs are just to pusified to do them.

NASpurs
03-17-2021, 06:49 PM
Rockets essentially just got two first rounders for Tucker...

Dverde
03-17-2021, 07:03 PM
I would tell LMA that it’s a trade or he is going to be home with the kids the rest of the year to ponder his free agency possibilities. No buyout. At least we screw over these clubs trying to force a buy out.

Dverde
03-17-2021, 07:04 PM

His salary is no where near LMA. That is the hold up.

NASpurs
03-17-2021, 07:08 PM
His salary is no where near LMA. That is the hold up.

There's other hold ups like finding a team that'll satisfy him and his trade kicker. But if we do end up trading him and not getting something worthwhile in return while Houston got two first rounders for PJ Tucker while we get the corpses of Avery Bradley, Iggy and Harkless...

poopbox
03-17-2021, 07:08 PM
I’ll be livid if this ends in a buyout lmao I’ll get over it but there’s deals to be made the spurs are just to pusified to do them.

Very hard to make a deal for the type of player that the spurs would want.

The spurs want a young player (26 or younger) on a cheap deal or one year deal (so they can either choose to pay him or not have his salary affect their cap to much over the next 2 years) and that fits with their current plan AND plan going forward ( a power forward or center cause they are log jammed at guard and small forward ). And they will want that without giving up a 1st round pick OR taking on a bad contract. Pretty difficult to do, and I would rather do nothing and just buy him out than to get something that won't be useful to us in the future, in essence trading just to trade.

People also don't seem to understand this is a transition year for the spurs, so it doesn't make any sense to make a win now move. There is no win now move when 4 of your top 10 rotational players might not legit be on your team next year.

Trading for a Kelly Olynk type player does absolutely nothing for the spurs beyond maybe this year, and then who even knows what the team looks like next year when maybe all our veterans are gone.

BacktoBasics
03-17-2021, 07:28 PM

No. If I read it correctly they sent one back and the other is a swap.

exstatic
03-17-2021, 10:20 PM

No, they got a first, but Milwaukee has flip rights this year, if Hou’s pick is outside the top 9.

Dejounte
03-17-2021, 10:31 PM
I've got a strong feeling that LMA will not be a Spur anymore after tomorrow. Based off nothing, really. "My spidey senses are tingling"- duncan2k5

DAF86
03-17-2021, 10:44 PM
this is going to be a buyout, isn't it...

Of course. It was obvious the moment they made this shit public. I don't know what PATFO was thinking.

Degoat
03-17-2021, 10:49 PM
What’s so strange about the LMA situation is it had to catch the spurs off guard, otherwise they could have tried to feature him more in the offense before the trade deadline or something . I’m preparing for a buyout but a deal for one of Drummond or Fournier, or something else like that makes sense to me if the spurs attach a 2nd rounder or something

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:19 PM
What’s so strange about the LMA situation is it had to catch the spurs off guard, otherwise they could have tried to feature him more in the offense before the trade deadline or something . I’m preparing for a buyout but a deal for one of Drummond or Fournier, or something else like that makes sense to me if the spurs attach a 2nd rounder or something

What? No, just no. Trade Aldridge and don't give anything else, much less for shit like Drummond or Fournier.

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:21 PM
A 3 teams trade is the only scenario where an Aldridge trade seems possible. I wonder if PATFO even knows how to pull a trade like that. :rolleyes

Degoat
03-17-2021, 11:28 PM
What? No, just no. Trade Aldridge and don't give anything else, much less for shit like Drummond or Fournier.

you don’t think Drummond or Fournier could help us win? I’m not saying I’m in favor of it, but I’m not for buying him out really

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:39 PM
you don’t think Drummond or Fournier could help us win?

No. Drummond is the definition of empty calories. I think he would actually makes us worse. Fournier isn't needed with all the guards we have.

Mr. Body
03-17-2021, 11:40 PM
Of course. It was obvious the moment they made this shit public. I don't know what PATFO was thinking.

They were trying to create a market and that's how you do it.

LMA would already be traded if his contract was easier to handle. It's the contract that is impossible.

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:43 PM
They were trying to create a market and that's how you do it.

LMA would already be traded if his contract was easier to handle. It's the contract that is impossible.

You create a market by telling teams that they don't need to trade for him because he will get cut regardless? Flawless logic you handle there son. :lol

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:47 PM
Dat market! :lol

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2936748-lamarcus-aldridge-rumors-heat-have-interest-in-buyout-deal-after-ariza-trade.amp.html

Mr. Body
03-17-2021, 11:50 PM
You create a market by telling teams that they don't need to trade for him because he will get cut regardless? Flawless logic you handle there son. :lol

The fuck you talking about.

Mr. Body
03-17-2021, 11:51 PM
You tell prospective buyers an asset is available and they need to bid against each other to get him.

How else the fuck are you going to get bids, you fucking moron.

John B
03-17-2021, 11:51 PM

The funny thing is would Pop even play the new guy, which the obvious answer is no.

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:53 PM
The fuck you talking about.

The fuck are YOU talking about? :lol

Mr. Body
03-17-2021, 11:54 PM
The fuck are YOU talking about? :lol

Goddamn, kid, you got shit for brains. Absolute diarrhea.

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:57 PM
You tell prospective buyers an asset is available and they need to bid against each other to get him.

How else the fuck are you going to get bids, you fucking moron.

Everybody and their moms knew Aldridge was available. The Aldridge trade rumours were circulating all season long.

Let me give you this example. If you post on social media "I wanna get rid of my car, I listen to offers! If not, I will just leave it on a junk yard!". Do you think folks will bid for it, or will they just wait till you leave it on the junk yard to get it for free? It's just common sense. :lol

DAF86
03-17-2021, 11:57 PM
Goddamn, kid, you got shit for brains. Absolute diarrhea.

The irony. :lol

DAF86
03-18-2021, 12:02 AM
Aldridge and Lyles for Iguodala and Olynyk. At this point is the best we can hope for.

John B
03-18-2021, 12:14 AM
Aldridge and Lyles for Iguodala and Olynyk. At this point is the best we can hope for.
I would love that. But Olynyk has been balling as of late. But here’s hoping

Degoat
03-18-2021, 12:30 AM
Here’s for hopeful thinking but I think the spurs probably have a buyer, they’re just waiting it out to see if more offers come. I think it does help that PJ tucker is off the market now.

slick'81
03-18-2021, 12:50 AM
Brian wright this is your life

Teamduncan21
03-18-2021, 01:19 AM
Why can't spurs just choose to hold on and not cut? This way teams have more incentive to trade and not just wait

DAF86
03-18-2021, 01:48 AM
Why can't spurs just choose to hold on and not cut? This way teams have more incentive to trade and not just wait

Because "Mah touches" probably bitched the hell out of being a backup behind closed doors and PATFO doesn't want to deal with it anymore, imho.

cd021
03-18-2021, 02:34 AM
Not really how it works. He'd leave in FA anyways. If they can't trade him, and aren't going to play him--if and when we can't-- then why keep him on the roster?

Also, Aldridge's agent reps other players, not a great idea to alienate both a player and possibly an agent. Players talk and agents have been known to steer plays to and away from teams. Its just easier to waive him/ buy him out at that point to preserve relationships.

Technically, the Spurs were the one's that fucked this up. They could've and should've traded him last trade deadline or in the off-season. They hustled backwards.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 06:22 AM
if i'm miami then give me a 1st round pick and you got a deal :lol

even then, it'd be la + rudy.

John B
03-18-2021, 07:00 AM
if i'm miami then give me a 1st round pick and you got a deal :lol

even then, it'd be la + rudy.
LA + Rudy also means more Samanic. Addition by substraction. And throw in Lyles while you’re at it :lol

cd021
03-18-2021, 07:58 AM
LA + Rudy also means more Samanic. Addition by substraction. And throw in Lyles while you’re at it :lol

With Leonard gone, the Heat don't have disposable salary (assuming Olynyk or Dragic aren't disposable) to take back both Aldridge and Gay. If they're still interested in Gay then Iggy and Okpala might be a deal that could happen.

FutureMan
03-18-2021, 09:13 AM
If the Spurs keep LMA & don’t buy him out couldn’t they do a sign and trade this off-season?

I’m very against just buying him out only to have him go to a team that could’ve traded for him. Especially if it is a western conference team or the Heat.

KobesAchilles
03-18-2021, 09:32 AM
Thanks Brian Wrong :lol

cd021
03-18-2021, 09:46 AM
If the Spurs keep LMA & don’t buy him out couldn’t they do a sign and trade this off-season?

I’m very against just buying him out only to have him go to a team that could’ve traded for him. Especially if it is a western conference team or the Heat.

I think it sounds inevitable that he's going to be released, the Spurs screwed this up and he'll be gone without so much as a pick to show for it.

exstatic
03-18-2021, 09:57 AM
I think it sounds inevitable that he's going to be released, the Spurs screwed this up and he'll be gone without so much as a pick to show for it.

So
What?

Remind me how many picks we gave up to get him. I’ll wait.

exstatic
03-18-2021, 09:57 AM

So
What?

Dverde
03-18-2021, 10:00 AM
Because "Mah touches" probably bitched the hell out of being a backup behind closed doors and PATFO doesn't want to deal with it anymore, imho.

This. Never a good look when players want off a team in playoff position. Remember LMA’s last year was partly guaranteed, they could have not picked up the option last offseason, but they pick up the option super early. Spurs got played.

BackHome
03-18-2021, 10:19 AM
Man it would be so funny if we buy him out and he goes to a team that we face in playoff and we beat them - That would be better then winning another ring I could die a Happy Spurs Fan. :clap

John B
03-18-2021, 10:47 AM
Man it would be so funny if we buy him out and he goes to a team that we face in playoff and we beat them - That would be better then winning another ring I could die a Happy Spurs Fan. :clap

We couldn't even beat Fathead's team in the regular season with only 9 players :lol

duncan2150
03-18-2021, 11:18 AM
We couldn't even beat Fathead's team in the regular season with only 9 players :lol

We also lose to the thunder but now they are both behind us lol

Dverde
03-18-2021, 11:49 AM

Watch LMA’s team lie and tell the Spurs he is going to Miami if bought out, then goes to the Clippers, and they sweep The Spurs in the first round. That’s why you don’t buy out players on expiring deals when you are in the playoff hunt.

BackHome
03-18-2021, 11:54 AM

Don't kill my Dream John B. It’s all I got. Lol.

BackHome
03-18-2021, 11:55 AM
Watch LMA’s team lie and tell the Spurs he is going to Miami if bought out, then goes to the Clippers, and they sweep The Spurs in the first round. That’s why you don’t buy out players on expiring deals when you are in the playoff hunt.

Now that you say that I can’t remember a team having a big free agent being bought out while their team was in Playoffs hunt?

Mr. Body
03-18-2021, 12:04 PM
Doesn't Aldridge not really like Kawhi Leonard all that much?

Dverde
03-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Now that you say that I can’t remember a team having a big free agent being bought out while their team was in Playoffs hunt?

You’d have to go back to The Spurs two years ago buying out Gasol :lol

Dverde
03-18-2021, 12:07 PM
Doesn't Aldridge not really like Kawhi Leonard all that much?

All indications are he doesn’t, but Clippers may offer him more touches or starter role. Nephew may even call him using Uncle’s phone to get him to sign up. Stranger things have happened.

cd021
03-18-2021, 12:08 PM
So
What?

What? The Spurs screwed up by not trading him sooner for assets. Now they are looking like they're going to waive/ buy him out.

This is yet another failure of the front office in recent years.

Dverde
03-18-2021, 01:13 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/2522gBs1/5-E36-E64-E-D737-4-B94-A0-DE-79-A82-DE23-F6-E.jpg

Ocotillo
03-18-2021, 01:20 PM
In hindsight with what we know now, yeah, PATFO should have sent him out for something last year. Before shoulder surgery last season though, he was an effective starting 5 for this team with one year left. I guess they should not have rolled the dice that he was going to be back this season and play it out and move on.

He came back with the lateral quickness of Lurch of the Addams Family so his value to this team dropped to the point he was going to be relegated to back up. Likely, he told PATFO he was not going to come off the bench.

Faced with that, the Spurs could try and hoodwink the league into thinking everything was hunky dory other than how to do you explain his not playing? Too many games missed to injury and it makes it harder to trade. I guess that is why they announced, he is not in our future, we would like to trade him for something but worst case scenario, he will be bought out.

If there is a debate to be had, it's whether he should have been shipped out last season when he was till capable of carrying the team on occasion.

I think he gets bought out. Even that is moot because we end up with the same cap space next year either way. I would have preferred assets too but his falling off the cliff this year combined with his inability to play off the bench and his salary have made it damn difficult to move now.

exstatic
03-18-2021, 01:25 PM
This. Never a good look when players want off a team in playoff position. Remember LMA’s last year was partly guaranteed, they could have not picked up the option last offseason, but they pick up the option super early. Spurs got played.

In hindsight, bad move. He was playing pretty well at the time. Not sure anyone saw his game going over a cliff the way it has.

Mugen
03-18-2021, 01:26 PM
In hindsight, bad move. He was playing pretty well at the time. Not sure anyone saw his game going over a cliff the way it has.

I mean there were a lot of people on the board questioning guaranteeing his contact that early when they literally had no incentive to do so :lol

slick'81
03-18-2021, 02:28 PM
I mean there were a lot of people on the board questioning guaranteeing his contact that early when they literally had no incentive to do so :lol

Yea,dudes value certainly wasnt going to go up with time. Spurs are really not going to do anything this deadline aren't they?!

Dverde
03-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Wiggins and 2022 GS first rounder for LMA/Lyles. Gives GS more cap room for FA and they keep their 2021 pick/Minn 2021 pick. Desperate times :lol

$pursDynasty
03-18-2021, 03:28 PM
I actually like LMA but his time as a Spur is coming to an end. Question what benefit is there to the Spurs organization of buying him out? I mean this is the last year on his contract right? I understand the value in trading him but what is the benefit to the team of a buyout besides doing the bought out player a solid?

timtonymanu
03-18-2021, 03:42 PM
The career loser should just retire tbh. No team worth a damn needs him. Jeopardizing your team so a diva player who’s done can get his touches

RC_Drunkford
03-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Apparently the Spurs have offers for him, but it comes down to them wanting to take on long term salary. I guess we are talking about Kevin Love and Al Horford here

BacktoBasics
03-18-2021, 04:06 PM
Apparently the Spurs have offers for him, but it comes down to them wanting to take on long term salary. I guess we are talking about Kevin Love and Al Horford here

I absolutely do not want long term salary for a late 1st or multiple seconds.

100% guarantee no one is offer a 1st inside of top 15.

rjv
03-18-2021, 04:12 PM

the ONLY way i'd take on love's contract would be if cleveland swapped their 1st rounder with ours. and i don't see that happening.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Thanks Brian Wrong :lol

KingKev
03-18-2021, 04:15 PM
I absolutely do not want long term salary for a late 1st or multiple seconds.

100% guarantee no one is offer a 1st inside of top 15.

Agree with this. He is likely bought out for the culture. I’d take K Love and their 2021 1st unprotected for LMA/Walker IV but even that is a dream. LMA has virtually no value. All these teams know that sooner or later we will bend to his demands which have probably already been leaked by his guys to potential suitors. I’d love to just see him rot on the bench if we can’t get any thing in return. Time to show the league and players we work with ppl but have a spine.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Question what benefit is there to the Spurs organization of buying him out? I mean this is the last year on his contract right? I understand the value in trading him but what is the benefit to the team of a buyout besides doing the bought out player a solid?
it saves the organization some cash.

exstatic
03-18-2021, 04:27 PM
What? The Spurs screwed up by not trading him sooner for assets. Now they are looking like they're going to waive/ buy him out.

This is yet another failure of the front office in recent years.

No. We signed a FA approximately 6 years ago, got 3 All Star appearances out of him, and his contract is expiring. His game is also expiring. Why trade him earlier? Are we lacking draft picks and young players? Nope. He’s also never been good enough to fetch a top pick, so you would have been trading him for more picks in the range of the ones we’ve had already. You also send the signal that FA signees will be dumped when convenient.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:29 PM
Wiggins and 2022 GS first rounder for LMA/Lyles. Gives GS more cap room for FA and they keep their 2021 pick/Minn 2021 pick. Desperate times :lol
i would actually consider passing on that tbh.

wiggins is owed almost $70,000,000.00 for the next two years...

$pursDynasty
03-18-2021, 04:32 PM
it saves the organization some cash.
if that is all and if it is the last year of the contract wouldn't the Spurs be better served just keeping him? I mean he can go where he wants next year but he might be of some use this year. If we were out of the playoffs is one thing but we could easily get the 5 seed this year.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Why trade him earlier?
because the spurs weren't going anywhere with him (after moving kawhi).

instead, the spurs languished... and are worse off for it.

they could've accelerated this process of moving on without him and they would've gotten a much better return had they done it sooner.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:36 PM
if that is all and if it is the last year of the contract wouldn't the Spurs be better served just keeping him? I mean he can go where he wants next year but he might be of some use this year. If we were out of the playoffs is one thing but we could easily get the 5 seed this year.
no one really wants people around if they don't wanna be there.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:41 PM
what i REALLY wonder is where the spurs head is at.

i assume their #1 goal is still making the playoffs. but a contender isn't going to give up valuable pieces just for la and rudy or whatever.

a buyout means nothing in return... might as well convince CLE to give up love and their 1st round pick.

but do the spurs org even want to shell out all that cash to love?

Joseph Kony
03-18-2021, 04:44 PM
what i REALLY wonder is where the spurs head is at.

i assume their #1 goal is still making the playoffs. but a contender isn't going to give up valuable pieces just for la and rudy or whatever.

a buyout means nothing in return... might as well convince CLE to give up love and their 1st round pick.

but do the spurs org even want to shell out all that cash to love?

doubt that CLE is so desperate to get rid of Love that they'd trade him with a pick for basically nothing. i also doubt the spurs have any interest in Kevin Love and paying him the amount of money he is still owed after this season

RC_Drunkford
03-18-2021, 04:47 PM
here is Windhorst saying it. He's saying they could trade him tonight if they wanted to, but would have to take on a bad contract

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVHvkydMJSM

Dejounte
03-18-2021, 04:50 PM
here is Windhorst saying it. He's saying they could trade him tonight if they wanted to, but would have to take on a bad contract

I've got a strong feeling that LMA will not be a Spur anymore after tomorrow. Based off nothing, really. "My spidey senses are tingling"- duncan2k5

CALL ME A PROPHET IF IT HAPPENS

Dejounte
03-18-2021, 04:51 PM
Windhorst says in the video, "there ARE offers on the table."

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:54 PM

was about to post.

been getting the scent of a buyout since last week. i don't really see the spurs dumping him off in CLE or OKC or even ORL.

gambit1990
03-18-2021, 04:56 PM
i won't hate la after this... just don't sign with the nets or the warriors and we cool.

Dejounte
03-18-2021, 04:56 PM
The Spurs will probably take this all the way until the trade deadline to weigh all options.

Kevin
03-18-2021, 04:58 PM
LMA to GS for Wiggin and the Warriors 2021 1st rounder top 10 protected makes some sense for both sides.

Still though, its a ton of salary to take on for a mid first even in a stacked draft.

PhantomDashCam
03-18-2021, 05:01 PM
There’s some interesting info. On LMA in that video (if true):

- “Spurs in unusual position position of dealing with a disgruntled player...”
Well, not as unusual as it once was. Kawhi, Carroll, Aldridge...

- “Offers available if Spurs take on bad contracts for picks...”
Wonder who Brian’s ref: to. We know it’s unlikely the Spurs are shipping LMA to a lottery team, what would be the compensation?
Two future firsts?

Dejounte
03-18-2021, 05:05 PM

Wonder who Brian’s ref: to. We know it’s unlikely the Spurs are shipping LMA to a lottery team, what would be the compensation?
Two future firsts?

Good to hear that expiring contracts still have SOME value.

cd98
03-18-2021, 05:06 PM

Two future firsts?

The problem for the Spurs is that its hard to trade LMA and find the salaries that match that are not requiring Spurs to take back salary and if there isn't a first round pick and the salary taken back isn't a good, young player, then no reason to take on the salary just to "get something" for LMA.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Houston getting next to nothing for Tucker is a bad sign for a LMA trade. I wouldn’t want them to take on bad contracts even for realistically obtainable picks.

Joseph Kony
03-18-2021, 05:15 PM
Houston getting next to nothing for Tucker is a bad sign for a LMA trade. I wouldn’t want them to take on bad contracts even for realistically obtainable picks.

Say what? Houston got a 1st and a bench rotation player out of it. I'd be surprised if they get that much out of LMA. if anything Milwaukee overpaid big time for a 36 year 6'4 PF :lol

RC_Drunkford
03-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Say what? Houston got a 1st and a bench rotation player out of it. I'd be surprised if they get that much out of LMA. if anything Milwaukee overpaid big time for a 36 year 6'4 PF :lol

they didn't get a 1st, they improved their draft position from a high 2nd to a low 1st rounder. Basically 33rd pick for 26th

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-18-2021, 05:24 PM

Houston got the right to swap their 2nd round pick for Milwaukee’s first. Basically going from 33 to 29. They also got additional years on Augustin’s contract on their books.

Bucks did really well and were very creative though - they got a tradable asset (Houston’s second) out of thin air while dumping a bad contract. They also got under the tax with this trade. It was a slam dunk for them.

Joseph Kony
03-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Oh wow, good call. I hadn't seen the updated details of the trade since it was first reported and it looked worse for MIL. Not bad tbh. But hey it's still a 1st rounder (would be the 25th pick right now i believe) in exchange for a 2nd, i'd do that all day for LMA

PhantomDashCam
03-18-2021, 05:29 PM
The problem for the Spurs is that its hard to trade LMA and find the salaries that match that are not requiring Spurs to take back salary and if there isn't a first round pick and the salary taken back isn't a good, young player, then no reason to take on the salary just to "get something" for LMA.

This is why I’m frustrated with LMA more than most on this board it seems.
He most likely gets bought out for the reasons you mentioned, yet I can’t help but feel if he had stayed and played in a reserve, enhanced usage role; his value would have increased and helped both parties in a trade.

The Spurs essential core atm - Jakob, Keldon, DJ and White - are all locked up for the next 2+ seasons. Lonnie would be next on the list and even he should be at worst here for the next 2 season on a tendered offer.

‘If Spurs were take on a bad contract that Nets you say 2 future firsts for a bad contract such as a K. Love; he still becomes an expiring in that 3rd year. As long as it doesn’t compromise the core or future draft capital - shouldn’t we seriously look at that?

Happy to be educated on the matter if I’m lacking finesse with the deets...

Degoat
03-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Windhorst is pretty plugged in around the league especially the cavs for what it’s worth lmao

rjv
03-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Windhorst is pretty plugged in around the league especially the cavs for what it’s worth lmao

he's no woj, or shams even, but he's in the same tier as david aldridge and such. pretty credible.

Degoat
03-18-2021, 05:40 PM
he's no woj, or shams even, but he's in the same tier as david aldridge and such. pretty credible.

I wanna say he was the first reporter that mentioned Toronto being interested in kawhi back then

FutureMan
03-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Any salary the Spurs take back needs to end after the 2022 season to retain Walker and DeRozan’s extension going into the 2022-23 season. We also probably wouldn’t sign anyone this off-season which would be disappointing to say the least.

Seventyniner
03-18-2021, 06:34 PM
I don’t mind taking on a bad contract for a couple years if there is good first round draft compensation. One thing Spurs FO is good at is drafting. They may not hit the home run, but they can usually sniff out the busts. I still think this team is nowhere near a title contender. We need new blood for our current new guys to mold in the hopes we get a true #1 option in 2021 or 2022 draft.

imo draft picks are probably more valuable to the Spurs than cap space. Especially given the relative weakness of the 2021 free agent class (DDR will be the best player on the board), the Spurs' great player development program means the team is probably better off using cap space to absorb a bad contract for extra picks rather than trying to sign big-name FAs.

Expiring contracts are nice when trying to get under the tax, for example, but the Spurs have a ton of cap space lined up, and would even have some left if they take on a longer deal for Aldridge, assuming that the other vets leave. And if the Spurs re-sign DDR while taking on that bad contract, they wouldn't be much over the cap (again, assuming Gay and Mills leave), allowing them to use the MLE.

cd021
03-18-2021, 06:42 PM
No. We signed a FA approximately 6 years ago, got 3 All Star appearances out of him, and his contract is expiring. His game is also expiring. Why trade him earlier? Are we lacking draft picks and young players? Nope. He’s also never been good enough to fetch a top pick, so you would have been trading him for more picks in the range of the ones we’ve had already. You also send the signal that FA signees will be dumped when convenient.

The Spurs got good production out of Aldridge, that's not the point that I was making. My point is that they had two chances to move him when it made logical sense to do so but they either didn't want too or overplayed their hand.

Why even bring him back when it seemed that the plan was to re-sign Poeltl and Eubanks and eventually have them be the center rotation? Aldridge was always going to leave, they had a chance to move him for an asset or two but didn't. Now they have no leverage and are probably going to end up having to buy him out or waive him.

You're acting as though the Spurs are flush with picks, they have all of their own picks going forward (minus the 2022 2nd). They are good position in terms of draft picks not to the point of diminishing returns, and while they have a bunch of solid young players, none of them are exactly stars. Getting an extra pick in that range meant another chance at finding one or packaging picks to move up to get in position to try and do so.

The Spurs wouldn't be signaling anything had they traded Aldridge in 2020 after signing him in 2015.

On the other hand, Brian Wright is developing a reputation as a bad GM.

cd021
03-18-2021, 06:57 PM
LMA to GS for Wiggin and the Warriors 2021 1st rounder top 10 protected makes some sense for both sides.

Still though, its a ton of salary to take on for a mid first even in a stacked draft.

Spurs would be taking on $65 million in salary for what is likely to be the 15th pick in the draft.

Would have to be at least two firsts and the Spurs would probably have to at least like Wiggins somewhat for them to even consider that deal.

Kurgan
03-18-2021, 07:01 PM

If the Spurs end up buying out LMA after already doing him a favor by fully guaranteeing his salary this season, it's safe to call them one of the worst front offices in the league. Outside of drafting, they can't do anything at a competent level. Brian Wright and company are glorified scouts pretty much.

cjw
03-18-2021, 07:32 PM
Spurs would be taking on $65 million in salary for what is likely to be the 15th pick in the draft.

Would have to be at least two firsts and the Spurs would probably have to at least like Wiggins somewhat for them to even consider that deal.

This. They’re not going to trade for Wiggins to sit on the bench. Also, do people want him taking minutes from KJ/Vassell/Luka? Because that’s what he’d do.

Philthemage
03-18-2021, 07:34 PM
If the Spurs end up buying out LMA after already doing him a favor by fully guaranteeing his salary this season, it's safe to call them one of the worst front offices in the league. Outside of drafting, they can't do anything at a competent level. Brian Wright and company are glorified scouts pretty much.

Agreed. And i would even argue that to a certain degree its the player development and systems of the coaching stafg which really bring out the best in our guys.

K...
03-18-2021, 07:48 PM
a first round pick isn't great for the spurs. They have to build a team for the current core and a rookie doesn't help. They already did a moonshot pick on Luka. they have their own picks for future cost controlled assets. Getting decent young players that are imperfect or under the radar and getting the right vets to replace gay and maybe millls is the probably best we can hope for.

Joseph Kony
03-18-2021, 07:51 PM
a first round pick isn't great for the spurs. They have to build a team for the current core and a rookie doesn't help. They already did a moonshot pick on Luka. they have their own picks for future cost controlled assets. Getting decent young players that are imperfect or under the radar and getting the right vets to replace gay and maybe millls is the probably best we can hope for.

Spurs can always try and flip the pick as well. a 1st has plenty of value in that context for the Spurs

Dverde
03-18-2021, 08:05 PM
I don’t mind taking on a bad contract for a couple years if there is good first round draft compensation. One thing Spurs FO is good at is drafting. They may not hit the home run, but they can usually sniff out the busts. I still think this team is nowhere near a title contender. We need new blood for our current new guys to mold in the hopes we get a true #1 option in 2021 or 2022 draft.

LCM
03-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Players with multiple years but all end in the 2023 offseason.

1) Kevin Love
2) Andrew Wiggins
3) Danilo Gallinari
4) Bogdan Bogdonovich
5) Harrison Barnes (2022 - Team USA)

There are many trades that can be thought up for the Spurs with these players. If the Spurs are worried about salary bleeding into their plans in the offseason, they are looking to bid on someone. Of all the FA this upcoming offseason, the two players that fit the Spurs biggest need at PF are Lauri Markkanen and John Collins.

If you trade for Wiggins with LMA, will the contract keep the Spurs from bidding on Markkanen or Collins, because Wiggins is a more expensive lateral move than keeping DeRozen. Plus you have KJ already. And if you add a pick or Wiseman, for argument sake, they are too young to be major help on POP's time frame. He'll move past Don Nelson next year, and don't think Pop doesn't know that.

You could trade for Collins with Atlanta but you'll be using DeRozen to do it, not LMA, and would be taking Bogdan to help make the money work. Here's the rub. Do you put DeRozen through this trade to a town he may not want to go to, right after he buries his dad. You could say it's a business, suck it up. But if DeRozen went after Toronto FO for the trade to the Spurs, what is he going to do to Pop and the Spurs on his way out under those circumstances? And is Collins werth that to the Spurs??

My opinion, the Spurs have a big bullseye target on Lauri Markkanen in the offseason. They don't want to jeopardize their cap space because between Collins and Markkanen, Atlanta would match Collins and trade Bogdan away to help the roster. The Bulls on the other hand, thanks to the play of Thad Young, drafting Pat Williams, and gearing toward Lavine's next contract, won't match Markkanen if the Spurs overpay a bit for him. He can start with Jakob and play 5 with Samanic on the floor. Is he a China doll, yes!! But he's played in this league, and would fill a major hole in the SL. Plus I think the Spurs tried to trade Aldridge to get in the top 10 in a draft after Aldridge requested a trade, preferably in the top 5 and couldn't. Markkanen was chosen 7th in that draft by Timberwolves and packaged with Lavine to Chicago. I think Markkanen has been a target for Pop for a while and the FO doesn't want to extend itself with a trade now and in the end LMA and DeRozen will walk. LMA now, because he's an ass. DeRozen later so he can choose where he gets his last contract.

Windhorst mentioned the deals being offered. There is interest, so the Spurs FO has choices. LMA is most likely GS, but is Wiggins, Wiseman, and a pick werth more than what Markkanen can do for you at the 4, is less expensive, would mesh with Jakob and Samanic, and has experience in this league. Or trade DeRozen to Atlanta for Collins, and deal with the fallout. If DeRozen is back before the trade deadline, the Atlanta deal is dead. If LMA walks, Markkanen is the target in the offseason. But those salaries are the only ones that would fit LMA or DeRozen salary wise and end in 2023.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-18-2021, 08:21 PM
The more I think about a buyout vs. picking up a bad contract, even with a draft pick kicker, I'm just not loving the idea of paying off someone else's bad deal. It would have to be a hell of a pick. Just buying LMA out is ok.

We've got so much talent in the pipeline that I want to make sure the Spurs can pay and keep, that dedicating a bunch of the cap to pay off a dud would just be irksome.

https://e0.365dm.com/19/03/768x432/skysports-pau-gasol-san-antonio_4594490.jpg?20190302072738

PhantomDashCam
03-18-2021, 08:42 PM
Spurs can always try and flip the pick as well. a 1st has plenty of value in that context for the Spurs

I’m with you on this JK.
It’s not something we’re accustomed to the Spurs doing but it’s a viable option.
If you could accrue picks, package with a large, expiring contract and a young, established upside piece - that’s how you potentially land a Superstar.

exstatic
03-18-2021, 09:46 PM
The Spurs got good production out of Aldridge, that's not the point that I was making. My point is that they had two chances to move him when it made logical sense to do so but they either didn't want too or overplayed their hand.

Why even bring him back when it seemed that the plan was to re-sign Poeltl and Eubanks and eventually have them be the center rotation? Aldridge was always going to leave, they had a chance to move him for an asset or two but didn't. Now they have no leverage and are probably going to end up having to buy him out or waive him.

You're acting as though the Spurs are flush with picks, they have all of their own picks going forward (minus the 2022 2nd). They are good position in terms of draft picks not to the point of diminishing returns, and while they have a bunch of solid young players, none of them are exactly stars. Getting an extra pick in that range meant another chance at finding one or packaging picks to move up to get in position to try and do so.

The Spurs wouldn't be signaling anything had they traded Aldridge in 2020 after signing him in 2015.

On the other hand, Brian Wright is developing a reputation as a bad GM.

Sometime between the shutdown last March, and the bubble, there was a fundamental organizational change in SSE. I think PATFO sat down and assessed the team to that point in the season, and figured that if they were going to miss the playoffs, they might as well see what they had in the kids. The bubble was the perfect Petri dish to perform their experiment. I believe they had already decided to move on from LMA, and told him to stay home. They wanted to retain DD, though, thinking they might get him at a discount, so they let him participate. Players they had no plans for didn’t play or didn’t play much. Forbes didn’t play at all, and Patty played coach. Marco only played a couple of games to cover minor injuries. The rest of the minutes were covered by the draft picks between 2015 and 2019, and the players they wanted to go forward with minus Luka. They liked what they saw.

After the offseason, they tried to move LMA, and almost did. Bad luck. They didn’t get DD to agree to an extension, but that was always a possibility. They had to pay a bit more for Poeltl than they wanted to, but that turned out to still be a bargain. They began the season,and things were better, but still not optimal. LMA’s defense had fallen off a cliff. It became apparent that he couldn’t start and have us be successful. He refused to come off the bench, so they invented the hip thing while shopping him. The Spurs were rolling, bouncing between the 4 and 6 seeds. Then, COVID. They played through it, but between the weird roster, and the continuing recovery/restart, there was some ground lost.

The point of this long telling is that when you make a fundamental change, sometimes you have to cut away the wreckage. That includes LMA, via trade or buyout, and possibly DD, at this point,although only a trade in that case. You don’t throw good money after bad. You don’t make a trade just to make a trade. You make a trade if you get some good shit, and don’t have to take too much bad shit. There are apparently no offers of that type currently on the table for LMA, which is why you wait it out to the deadline.

exstatic
03-18-2021, 09:47 PM
Players with multiple years but all end in the 2023 offseason.

1) Kevin Love
2) Andrew Wiggins
3) Danilo Gallinari
4) Bogdan Bogdonovich
5) Harrison Barnes (2022 - Team USA)

There are many trades that can be thought up for the Spurs with these players. If the Spurs are worried about salary bleeding into their plans in the offseason, they are looking to bid on someone. Of all the FA this upcoming offseason, the two players that fit the Spurs biggest need at PF are Lauri Markkanen and John Collins.

If you trade for Wiggins with LMA, will the contract keep the Spurs from bidding on Markkanen or Collins, because Wiggins is a more expensive lateral move than keeping DeRozen. Plus you have KJ already. And if you add a pick or Wiseman, for argument sake, they are too young to be major help on POP's time frame. He'll move past Don Nelson next year, and don't think Pop doesn't know that.

You could trade for Collins with Atlanta but you'll be using DeRozen to do it, not LMA, and would be taking Bogdan to help make the money work. Here's the rub. Do you put DeRozen through this trade to a town he may not want to go to, right after he buries his dad. You could say it's a business, suck it up. But if DeRozen went after Toronto FO for the trade to the Spurs, what is he going to do to Pop and the Spurs on his way out under those circumstances? And is Collins werth that to the Spurs??

My opinion, the Spurs have a big bullseye target on Lauri Markkanen in the offseason. They don't want to jeopardize their cap space because between Collins and Markkanen, Atlanta would match Collins and trade Bogdan away to help the roster. The Bulls on the other hand, thanks to the play of Thad Young, drafting Pat Williams, and gearing toward Lavine's next contract, won't match Markkanen if the Spurs overpay a bit for him. He can start with Jakob and play 5 with Samanic on the floor. Is he a China doll, yes!! But he's played in this league, and would fill a major hole in the SL. Plus I think the Spurs tried to trade Aldridge to get in the top 10 in a draft after Aldridge requested a trade, preferably in the top 5 and couldn't. Markkanen was chosen 7th in that draft by Timberwolves and packaged with Lavine to Chicago. I think Markkanen has been a target for Pop for a while and the FO doesn't want to extend itself with a trade now and in the end LMA and DeRozen will walk. LMA now, because he's an ass. DeRozen later so he can choose where he gets his last contract.

Windhorst mentioned the deals being offered. There is interest, so the Spurs FO has choices. LMA is most likely GS, but is Wiggins, Wiseman, and a pick werth more than what Markkanen can do for you at the 4, is less expensive, would mesh with Jakob and Samanic, and has experience in this league. Or trade DeRozen to Atlanta for Collins, and deal with the fallout. If DeRozen is back before the trade deadline, the Atlanta deal is dead. If LMA walks, Markkanen is the target in the offseason. But those salaries are the only ones that would fit LMA or DeRozen salary wise and end in 2023.

Al Horford, too.

Dejounte
03-18-2021, 09:53 PM
I kind of think that if the Spurs were interested in Lauri, Pop would have been more active during the Bulls game. He didn't look more attentive than he usually does. I think if he was interested in a guy, he wouldn't waste his last (is there another game with the Bulls?) opportunity to see him first-hand to see if he would fit with the team and if his skills were worth investing in.

scott
03-18-2021, 10:19 PM
Sometime between the shutdown last March, and the bubble, there was a fundamental organizational change in SSE. I think PATFO sat down and assessed the team to that point in the season, and figured that if they were going to miss the playoffs, they might as well see what they had in the kids. The bubble was the perfect Petri dish to perform their experiment. I believe they had already decided to move on from LMA, and told him to stay home. They wanted to retain DD, though, thinking they might get him at a discount, so they let him participate. Players they had no plans for didn’t play or didn’t play much. Forbes didn’t play at all, and Patty played coach. Marco only played a couple of games to cover minor injuries. The rest of the minutes were covered by the draft picks between 2015 and 2019, and the players they wanted to go forward with minus Luka. They liked what they saw.

After the offseason, they tried to move LMA, and almost did. Bad luck. They didn’t get DD to agree to an extension, but that was always a possibility. They had to pay a bit more for Poeltl than they wanted to, but that turned out to still be a bargain. They began the season,and things were better, but still not optimal. LMA’s defense had fallen off a cliff. It became apparent that he couldn’t start and have us be successful. He refused to come off the bench, so they invented the hip thing while shopping him. The Spurs were rolling, bouncing between the 4 and 6 seeds. Then, COVID. They played through it, but between the weird roster, and the continuing recovery/restart, there was some ground lost.

The point of this long telling is that when you make a fundamental change, sometimes you have to cut away the wreckage. That includes LMA, via trade or buyout, and possibly DD, at this point,although only a trade in that case. You don’t throw good money after bad. You don’t make a trade just to make a trade. You make a trade if you get some good shit, and don’t have to take too much bad shit. There are apparently no offers of that type currently on the table for LMA, which is why you wait it out to the deadline.

Spot on. But this is also why I think we should be buyers (for whoever), not desperate sellers. I know everyone hopes we'll sign Collins in FA... I just don't see it. He will get interested from multiple teams most likely, why would he pick this one? Reminds me of the dream to get Corey Maggette that I doubt we ever really had a chance for.

The only way we are getting that second piece to Demar (if that's what we want) and Dejounte is to trade for one. Do it now while there is a solid young core around them getting better every day.

TD 21
03-18-2021, 10:58 PM
Here's the rub. Do you put DeRozen through this trade to a town he may not want to go to, right after he buries his dad. You could say it's a business, suck it up. But if DeRozen went after Toronto FO for the trade to the Spurs, what is he going to do to Pop and the Spurs on his way out under those circumstances? And is Collins werth that to the Spurs??

LMA is most likely GS, but is Wiggins, Wiseman, and a pick werth.

They'd work with DeRozan's representation to trade him to a place (and for the umpteenth time, he'll have a limited market) he'd be comfortable re-signing because no one is giving up a sizable asset for him to be a rental.

DeRozan was upset with the Raptors because they inexplicably lied to him. He rightly thought he was owed the truth, but shady Ujiri/Webster thought otherwise.

There's a zero percent chance the Warriors would even consider that trade. Wiseman is being overhyped because of who he plays for, but they're not trading him for anything less than a Beal type player.

LCM
03-18-2021, 11:03 PM
Al Horford, too.

Didn't see Horford, thanks for catching that. Really like your posts.

LCM
03-18-2021, 11:05 PM
I kind of think that if the Spurs were interested in Lauri, Pop would have been more active during the Bulls game. He didn't look more attentive than he usually does. I think if he was interested in a guy, he wouldn't waste his last (is there another game with the Bulls?) opportunity to see him first-hand to see if he would fit with the team and if his skills were worth investing in.

Bulls come to SA, March 27. Enjoy your posts!

LCM
03-18-2021, 11:22 PM
They'd work with DeRozan's representation to trade him to a place (and for the umpteenth time, he'll have a limited market) he'd be comfortable re-signing because no one is giving up a sizable asset for him to be a rental.

DeRozan was upset with the Raptors because they inexplicably lied to him. He rightly thought he was owed the truth, but shady Ujiri/Webster thought otherwise.

There's a zero percent chance the Warriors would even consider that trade. Wiseman is being overhyped because of who he plays for, but they're not trading him for anything less than a Beal type player.

LMA by himself isn't werth all that, absolutely! Wiggins is the main component of any trade with SA not Wiseman. But is Wiggins werth getting because of his salary taking away the possibility of getting a starting 4 for this team in the offseason? To me he's not. If that's the case I think LMA walks.

I also think you're right in the front office talking to DeRozen. That's why he's not back. Yes, DeRozen is taking care of family during a difficult time. I'm 45, lost my dad at 8. My mother almost 3 years ago. All my grandparents are gone. Handling the death of loved ones takes time. Dealing with my mother's funeral in Texas pre COVID was no picnic much less California and all their COVID stipulations and family considerations. The Raptors blindsided him, the Spurs won't. But the longer DeRozen is away the Spurs will be in talks to deal him, and he'll know and possibly sign off. I think if he returns to play before the deadline, then DeRozen isn't being dealt. Appreciate the feedback!

XDT76
03-18-2021, 11:55 PM
The ST board is getting amusing by the day. The posters cannot wait to get rid of LMA thinking he is a liability to the team but expect other teams to throw 1st round picks for him in trade.

BWS-1994
03-19-2021, 01:14 AM
Woj did say that he doesn’t expect anymore trades this week. That Monday will be pretty busy, and that will increase in rapis fire until the trade deadline.

Thomas82
03-19-2021, 02:35 AM

X

mo7888
03-19-2021, 07:32 AM
The ST board is getting amusing by the day. The posters cannot wait to get rid of LMA thinking he is a liability to the team but expect other teams to throw 1st round picks for him in trade.

I don't think anybody on the board expects LMA to bring back a 1st... some think he can bring back a 1st or young player if we take on a bad enough contract...