PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Aldridge signing and extension 2015-2020

MultiTroll
03-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Be sure to include playoffs :bobo

gambit1990
03-11-2021, 02:47 PM
rate the signing? as big as it can get for the spurs.

would've been awesome to have had more than one year with manu / kawhi / la / td :depressed

cp3 / manu / kawhi / la / td and it would've been game over for the league.

MultiTroll
03-11-2021, 02:52 PM
rate the signing? as big as it can get for the spurs.
Overall performance vs cost.

cd98
03-11-2021, 03:00 PM
He was an all star with the Spurs and he helped get them to the post season every year but one. Given this is always everyone's last option in free agency, I rate the acquisition as high. But it depends on your standards. Did you expect Spurs to compete for another title? Well, then we failed, but that's not his fault. We had legends retire and our best player fake his way off the team. All considering, LMA did the best he could with what he had. So I don't grade him harshly for the playoff failures. Again, he was an all star during his time here, so I rate him as a great acquisition for the Spurs. Most players at his age on a max don't live up to what they are paid in the last year.

KobesAchilles
03-11-2021, 03:01 PM
2016 we ring if the wheels didn't fall off :cry
Back to back champs too in 2017 :cry

Stump
03-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Best free agent signing in Spurs history. The fact that he isn't Robinson or Duncan doesn't change that.

spurraider21
03-11-2021, 03:08 PM
signing was an A+ no questions asked. extension was still a slam dunk, we just fucked up not trading him in time. arbitrarily deciding to guarantee his 20-21 salary just for good vibes or w/e was a stupid move

rjv
03-11-2021, 03:11 PM
i don't think i can fully answer this until i see what happens with the rest of his contract.

LeBowen
03-11-2021, 03:23 PM
No brainer at the time, LMA's fault for not being in optimal shape while nephew was still here.
Could've won in either 2016 or 2017, didn't happen.

2018 was his best season, age started catching up to him after.

Now he's completely washed.

Got him as a free agent, he'll leave for free. Solid player, all-star level for a couple of seasons, nothing special.
We're not Timberwolves or some shit, he had no playoff success.

BlackAndWhite
03-11-2021, 03:39 PM
He carried us hard in in the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons and for those reasons I will appreciate his time here. It's a shame that he doesn't want to take a reduced role on this team even though it gives us a chance to go deep in the playoffs

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-11-2021, 03:44 PM
A

tbdog
03-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Loved his game. Was a joy. Carried Forbes and old man Gasol, Kyle Anderson, 38% shooting Danny Green, and returning from.
injury Gay. Then followed it up with Forbes starting and about to retire Gasol. I don't think Embid could have gotten those teams to the playoffs in the West.

MultiTroll
03-12-2021, 11:42 AM
Best free agent signing in Spurs history. The fact that he isn't Robinson or Duncan doesn't change that.
1. Robert Horry
2. Bruce Bowen

look_at_g_shred
03-12-2021, 11:49 AM
1. Robert Horry
2. Bruce Bowen
3.Aldridge
4.Finley
149.Shannon Brown

PrimeMinister
03-12-2021, 11:50 AM
1. Robert Horry
2. Bruce Bowen

2016 Aldridge next to Duncan in that 05 series would have eaten Rasheed Wallace alive

Put horry and Bowen on the 2018 spurs and we have a top 3 draft pick

the timing of his career and addition to the team doesn’t change the value he brought the franchise IMO.

Pop not bringing in Boban for West or Diaw in conjunction with not benching Parker against OKC in 2016 is the reason he doesn’t have a ring. 2016 might have been the GOAT spurs team.

lefty
03-12-2021, 11:52 AM
Better than Porker....

MultiTroll
03-12-2021, 12:00 PM
Put horry and Bowen on the 2018 spurs and we have a top 3 draft pick
2018 that would have been awesome. Could have gotten Luka Doncic instead of being swept in 1st round.
2019 Zion or Ja Morant if you meant '19.

MultiTroll
03-12-2021, 12:07 PM
No brainer at the time, LMA's fault for not being in optimal shape while nephew was still here.

We're not Timberwolves or some shit, he had no playoff success.
I was also put off by his offseason blah conditioning. Kwa came in rock solid ready to compete for a Chip and MVP. Softridge meh. Especially since at the time of his 2016 FA signing he was among the highest paid.

SpursTalk Spurfan for the most part had and has no problem with his conditioning.

daslicer
03-12-2021, 12:39 PM
He was a great signing about as good as you can get outside of getting a superstar player in the mold of Lebron James,Kevin Durant, etc. From '15-'19 he gave the Spurs great production. 3 out of 4 of those years he was an all-star and the one year he didn't go he was an all-star caliber player who just got snubbed. From '17-'19 he was at his peak and carried a team that should have been easily a lottery team to the playoffs. Really can't be upset but like others have said the Spurs should have traded him when his value was high around the summer of '18 since they were not going to be a contending team with him.

RC_Drunkford
03-12-2021, 06:14 PM
2016 we ring if the wheels didn't fall off :cry
Back to back champs too in 2017 :cry

Don't forget 2018 if nephew doesn't pout. We never got to see the LMA/Gay/Nephew line up

Spurtacular
03-12-2021, 10:03 PM
Doesn't bother me. Could've worked. The DeRozan trade on the other hand was sheeeet.

R. DeMurre
03-12-2021, 10:17 PM
Gotta give it an A. Not every positive move results in a championship-- there are too many other good players, GMs, and coaches out there who are also making smart moves. A 67 win season followed by a 61 win season is impressive, and had the Kawhi situation not reared its head, the Spurs would've been in the conversation for a championship three years in a row. A+ if they'd traded him last year and gotten something solid in return.

daslicer
03-12-2021, 10:19 PM
Doesn't bother me. Could've worked. The DeRozan trade on the other hand was sheeeet.

Agreed.

BlackAndWhite
03-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Not much you can do when Kawhi sabotaged the team with a fraudulent injury

kht
03-14-2021, 02:42 AM
B+. Only thing missing was a title. Back to back 60 win seasons, WCF berth. Possible a final's appearance if we didn't get Zaza'd.

KingKev
03-14-2021, 03:18 AM
Definitely an A. I just think we should have explored his value when Kawhi forced his way out. Trading those two could have gotten us 4 first rounders and a few young promising players.

ElNono
03-14-2021, 05:36 PM
Wasn't a bad signing while TD was still around. Should have been traded when TD could no longer hold his hand.

MultiTroll
03-15-2021, 11:49 AM
Wasn't a bad signing while TD was still around. Should have been traded when TD could no longer hold his hand.
You weren't down with Kawhi holding Pop and LMAs hand before getting Zaza'd?

MultiTroll
03-15-2021, 11:52 AM
He carried us hard in in the 17-18 and 18-19 seasons and for those reasons I will appreciate his time here. It's a shame that he doesn't want to take a reduced role on this team even though it gives us a chance to go deep in the playoffs
And at the same time would vastly up his trade value, keeping value in that option.

Instead, he quit.
Say all you want about Kawhi (not defending he and Uncles "Lakers only" bullshit.)
Rather making the point LMA has basically quit too.

MultiTroll
03-15-2021, 12:06 PM
signing was an A+ no questions asked. extension was still a slam dunk, we just fucked up not trading him in time. arbitrarily deciding to guarantee his 20-21 salary just for good vibes or w/e was a stupid move

Really can't be upset but like others have said the Spurs should have traded him when his value was high around the summer of '18 since they were not going to be a contending team with him.

A+ if they'd traded him last year and gotten something solid in return.

Definitely an A. I just think we should have explored his value when Kawhi forced his way out. Trading those two could have gotten us 4 first rounders and a few young promising players.
Board is near consensus that trading him for highest value possible would have been the way to go.
We can and do have some disagreements on how good LMA was, and of course he was "good" (legit All Star, 60+ win teams) but we're in agreement that return on investment is pretty suckaroo when compared to traded at X point.

Dverde
03-15-2021, 12:07 PM
It was a good contract. LMA was a Max player when he signed both times. Maybe you don’t want to be the team giving it to him. The only thing the Spurs screwed up was picking up the last year option early. It was partly guaranteed and the Spurs could have waived him or traded him last year.

cd98
03-15-2021, 01:23 PM
It's well known that most great players that get paid on their last contract don't outperform the last couple of years. I think LMA did come close. He's not worth what he is paid this year, but he was worth it every other year and to get every other year, you had to pay him for this year. So not a bad signing and the right thing to do. I don't know how he was behind the scenes. Maybe he cried about his touches, I don't know. He was an effective scorer and he helped San Antonio keep the playoff streak alive and at least in contention for the playoffs after Kawhi bailed. He was never a number one. He was always supposed to be a number two. He was thrust in as a number one because Kawhi quit on the team, but that's not LMA's fault.