View Full Version : Random Thoughts After LaMarcus Aldridge and the Spurs Split

timvp
03-11-2021, 10:24 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-agree-to-part/

Thanks, LA, tbh :tu

heyheymymy
03-11-2021, 10:30 PM
Great writeup! Thanks for posting.

Will be interesting to see what happens through the deadline.

Dejounte
03-11-2021, 10:39 PM
San Antonio is reportedly hopeful that something could happen within the week but I see it stretching out until the March 25th deadline for trades.

Is this based off old information or new?

The report from Woj was "next week". So just want to confirm if this isn't an error in writing.

Degoat
03-11-2021, 10:42 PM
Imo spurs need to hurry up and trade him ASAP... as things get closer to the deadline teams will have already made moves or they will like what they have... was reading different fan sites of teams reportedly interested in LMA and they ain’t excited about it or think that there team wont offer much

if suddenly Drummond or another big gets bought out or something that will hurt LMA value potentially if they go to a team that made an offer for LMA

Robz4000
03-11-2021, 10:46 PM
:lol people gave me shit before the draft for saying the Spurs would have to settle for buying out LMA, yet here we are.

DPG21920
03-11-2021, 11:19 PM
Brian Wright needs to prove he can provide value as a GM in the trade market. While not the end of the world buying guys out, if someone has value you need to get assets. Small markets need as many assets as possible.

R. DeMurre
03-11-2021, 11:22 PM
LMA's whole story might be very different if Kawhi doesn't get hurt in the Zaza game. Being a major piece on a team winning 67 and 61 games in his first two seasons, making it to the Western Conference finals, and being up in game one on the road against an all time great team represents some pretty impressive lines on an NBA resume.

I think it would've helped immensely if he'd starting threes in higher volume three years earlier than he did, but I don't know if that was entirely stubbornness on his part, or mostly him following coaching staff instructions.

Mr. Body
03-11-2021, 11:23 PM
Brian Wright needs to prove he can provide value as a GM in the trade market. While not the end of the world buying guys out, if someone has value you need to get assets. Small markets need as many assets as possible.

The priority is likely to find a team LMA wants to play for. The longer term establishment that this is a franchise that will do right by its FA signings is more valuable than any small assets he's likely to bring.

Mr. Body
03-11-2021, 11:24 PM
LMA's whole story might be very different if Kawhi doesn't get hurt in the Zaza game. Being a major piece on a team winning 67 and 61 games in his first two seasons, making it to the Western Conference finals, and being up in game one on the road against an all time great team represents some pretty impressive lines on an NBA resume.

I think it would've helped immensely if he'd starting threes in higher volume three years earlier than he did, but I don't know if that was entirely stubbornness on his part, or mostly him following coaching staff instructions.

The Zaza game was the excuse, but neph would have found a way to stab the team in the back regardless.

R. DeMurre
03-11-2021, 11:30 PM
The Zaza game was the excuse, but neph would have found a way to stab the team in the back regardless.

Perhaps, but if they win the championship that year I think LMA's legacy looks quite a bit different.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-11-2021, 11:30 PM
Good write-up. Thanks Timvp.

He carried the Spurs on his back, post ZaZa, and kept the Spurs relevant probably longer than they should have been. He was a damn good Spur in my book, he just had the curse of trying to fill the shoes of one of the NBA’s top 5 players of all time. The Spurs should have shriveled into a 20 win team after the Big 3 were gone and that never happened, in large part due to LMA.

Goodbye big fella.

Dejounte
03-11-2021, 11:34 PM
The Spurs went from beautiful basketball to me-ball with LMA, which is why I don't have a great attachment with this dude. He didn't age gracefully as Timmy did, he didn't display the type of smarts old school Spurs did. Besides that, thankful he helped keep the Spurs competitive.

cjw
03-11-2021, 11:35 PM

The 67-win team was one of the best in NBA history (only ten teams have ever surpassed an SRS of 10 ... the Warriors have three of those squads). And they didn’t even get to the point of facing the Warriors after that annoying Thunder series.

He almost won them game 2 down the stretch, but couldn’t pull it off. Feels like had the Spurs won that, matchup with GS was inevitable a year earlier than the Zaza game. LMA was balling then.

PhantomDashCam
03-11-2021, 11:42 PM
A couple of things that I’m hoping somebody can clarify for me:

1. Wasn’t Poeltl starting a result of a LMA injury rather than (and more justifiably so) his stellar play off the bench, spearheading at the time one of the league’s most devastating 5 man attacks.
Does this transition occur this season if not for that?

2. Where is he going to get a starting gig, or play a ton of minutes for a team who can utilise his skill set?
Wouldn’t it have been better to play out the rest of the season in SA, sign a farewell contract with Portland in the off-season and call it a career?
He wasn’t going to be buried behind Eubanks (I assume), just not sure I understand why he couldn’t give a reserve role a try.

There def. seems more to this story.
I appreciate LMA’s time here and wish him well in his future moves but not at the expense of the Spurs and their current/future aspirations.

Chinook
03-11-2021, 11:51 PM

1. Wasn’t Poeltl starting a result of a LMA injury rather than (and more justifiably so) his stellar play off the bench, spearheading at the time one of the league’s most devastating 5 man attacks.

2. Where is he going to get a starting gig, or play a ton of minutes for a team who can utilise his skill set?
Wouldn’t it have been better to play out the rest of the season in SA, sign a farewell contract with Portland in the off-season and call it a career?
He wasn’t going to be buried behind Eubanks (I assume), just not sure I understand why he couldn’t give a reserve role a try.

I appreciate LMA’s time here and wish him well in his future moves but not at the expense of the Spurs and their current/future aspirations.

Eh, Pop has a history of using injury as an excuse to try to shake up the lineup. He did the same thing with Walker a couple of weeks ago. My guess is that Pop wanted to bench LMA and just waited for a good time to make the move. I also think LMA was probably expecting/hoping to be traded all season. Likely, this was a change that had been in the works for a long time.

look_at_g_shred
03-11-2021, 11:53 PM
One thing to mention from pops statement. He considered this a win-win for both parties. Now, a buyout wouldn’t mean a win for the spurs as its stretching out the remaining balance of the contract over multiple years correct? It sounds like the spurs have a deal or two in place.

Mr. Body
03-11-2021, 11:57 PM
One thing to mention from pops statement. He considered this a win-win for both parties. Now, a buyout wouldn’t mean a win for the spurs as its stretching out the remaining balance of the contract over multiple years correct? It sounds like the spurs have a deal or two in place.

Nah, it means it clears the way for others to get on the court. They were having trouble knowing what to do with Aldridge given his perimeter defense.

look_at_g_shred
03-12-2021, 12:01 AM
Nah, it means it clears the way for others to get on the court. They were having trouble knowing what to do with Aldridge given his perimeter defense.
Fair but Luka played zilch yesterday

tbdog
03-12-2021, 12:02 AM
I could ask for more but the reality is, luck was against the Spurs

Mr. Body
03-12-2021, 12:11 AM
Fair but Luka played zilch yesterday

That's because Pop was stupidly playing Trey Lyles. Samanic should get all the time Lyles would get.

The Truth #6
03-12-2021, 12:23 AM
The priority is likely to find a team LMA wants to play for. The longer term establishment that this is a franchise that will do right by its FA signings is more valuable than any small assets he's likely to bring.

Your post got me thinking. I agree that doing right by our players is the preferred route for various reasons. But I wonder if it really has a tangible impact in how other signings interact with SA. Perhaps it was a factor that brought LMA here. It didn’t make a difference with Morris. It’s a weird league with little loyalty. Egos and large amounts of money make things difficult. Anyway.

PhantomDashCam
03-12-2021, 12:29 AM
Eh, Pop has a history of using injury as an excuse to try to shake up the lineup. He did the same thing with Walker a couple of weeks ago. My guess is that Pop wanted to bench LMA and just waited for a good time to make the move. I also think LMA was probably expecting/hoping to be traded all season. Likely, this was a change that had been in the works for a long time.

Do you think this is as altruistic/beneficial as what is being reported between both Spurs and LMA re: there parting?

If what you’re suggesting about this change potentially being in the works for sometime (and I think you’re right on this based on Pops comments in the off-season - not winning a championship etc.), would it be unfair for me to say he wasn’t willing to buy into the new philosophy and somewhat ‘quit’ on the team?

The effort at times Of LMA this season has been less than ideal...

poopbox
03-12-2021, 12:34 AM
"and doesn’t regret the decision he made in 2015."

I would say asking to be traded in 2017 points to regretting his 2015 decision to sign here but that is just the personal opinion of a logical human being on planet earth...

poopbox
03-12-2021, 12:44 AM

Is it thought ? Cause I am trying to think of one player that we signed in free agency who said the reason why he chose the spurs is because they knew the spurs would do right by them when it was time to move on. I can't think of one player.

I think the nba is a cutthroat business. I think nba players know that and expect that. I think this "do right by the player" thing means absolutely NOTHING to players in the nba, because they have an expectation that they might get screwed over and traded somewhere they don't want to go.

Can anybody point to anything any other player who doesn't play in san antonio has ever said about the spurs "doing right by their players"

poopbox
03-12-2021, 12:58 AM

No a buyout means LMA and the Spurs agree on how much of his contract they are going to pay in order for him to be a free agent. If the spurs wanted to they could just pay out 100% of the rest of his contract and owe him nothing else and contractually it would be like he played out the last year of his contract. Now typically in buyouts players either want A 100% of the money they are owed or B they let the team pay them less than is owed on the contract BUT then the team has to pay them some money the next year.

You are thinking a bout a stretch provision, in which a player is waived and then the money left on the contract is automatically spread over a certain amount of years. This would be like if the spurs wavied lamarcus and he was still owed 24 million and they had to "stretch" those 24 million over 5 years so then lamarcus would be on the books for roughly 5 million a year every year for 5 years.

Slippy
03-12-2021, 01:19 AM
Nice writeup.. agree wholeheartedly.. thanks for the memories Lamarcus.

BillMc
03-12-2021, 02:23 AM
Good write-up. Thanks Timvp.

He carried the Spurs on his back, post ZaZa, and kept the Spurs relevant probably longer than they should have been. He was a damn good Spur in my book, he just had the curse of trying to fill the shoes of one of the NBA’s top 5 players of all time. The Spurs should have shriveled into a 20 win team after the Big 3 were gone and that never happened, in large part due to LMA.

Goodbye big fella.

Well said.

KingKev
03-12-2021, 07:31 AM
Good to have a reminder on some of the good work he did here. Still, here is my random thought on LMA... peace homie!!!!

Dejounte
03-12-2021, 08:00 AM
You can't apply a stretch provision to an expiring contract.

Dejounte
03-12-2021, 08:08 AM
Your post got me thinking. I agree that doing right by our players is the preferred route for various reasons. But I wonder if it really has a tangible impact in how other signings interact with SA. Perhaps it was a factor that brought LMA here. It didn’t make a difference with Morris. It’s a weird league with little loyalty. Egos and large amounts of money make things difficult. Anyway.

Where other organizations do wrong, the Spurs do right.

These are people, not trading cards.

You're not only dealing with players either, you're dealing with their agency.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 08:24 AM

Answer to #1: It was the result of a 31 point ass kicking by Memphis. After that game, LMA suddenly developed a hip issue, which lasted exactly up to the game they needed him to play, because they were short handed because of COVID. He played three games off the bench, then, when players came back, developed some non specific stomach ailment.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Is it thought ? Cause I am trying to think of one player that we signed in free agency who said the reason why he chose the spurs is because they knew the spurs would do right by them when it was time to move on. I can't think of one player.

I think the nba is a cutthroat business. I think nba players know that and expect that. I think this "do right by the player" thing means absolutely NOTHING to players in the nba, because they have an expectation that they might get screwed over and traded somewhere they don't want to go.

Can anybody point to anything any other player who doesn't play in san antonio has ever said about the spurs "doing right by their players"

Can’t think of a direct quote,but I remember after the 14 Championship, they had a round table with the big three and Pop, and at one point Tim said something about most players who leave had expressed regret at leaving that environment to him when they talked. Tony and Manu agreed.

Brazil
03-12-2021, 08:50 AM
LMA has been overall a great pro, bit of drama here and there but compared with today's NBA he has been quiet and did his job to the best of his abilities. Spurs should be grateful for that.

Now on the negative side:

- LMA was probably the biggest free agent signing to SA, and I'm not sure his experience will encourage other big names to come here one day. During his tenure here he became a bit invisible for the media and had to mold into Pop mentality of team first stars after. All in all his signing is just confirmation of what was already known on the market, SA is a small market dominated by Pop, if not winning you won't increase your value coming here.
- LMA helped keep alive Spurs competiveness and as already mentionned without uncle and zaza we probably have 1 or 2 titles with LMA being second option of a winning team. Unfortunately zaza uncle happened and with LMA Spurs became a slightly above average team. Without LMA Spurs would have moved on faster towards the future.

BillMc
03-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Can’t think of a direct quote,but I remember after the 14 Championship, they had a round table with the big three and Pop, and at one point Tim said something about most players who leave had expressed regret at leaving that environment to him when they talked. Tony and Manu agreed.

Yeah. Really the only Spurs during the "classic run" who complained about the environment after leaving was S. Jackson. (And I guess Rodman if you go back a little earlier). But in the last 5 years so there have been many malcontents including Blair, DeColo, Dedman, David West (that was one of the first signs, a major player who sacrificed a ton of cash to join, then left disgruntled and he had a pro's pro rep), Jonathon Simmons, Kawhi (though while disgruntled, he was going to CA either way, so who knows), and now LMA. It's not that the culture is bad, its just returning to normal NBA since the last championship.

The Truth #6
03-12-2021, 09:04 AM
Where other organizations do wrong, the Spurs do right.

These are people, not trading cards.

You're not only dealing with players either, you're dealing with their agency.

Yeah. I get all that. My point is I wonder if that even makes a difference. As a small market team, obviously we shouldn’t make our situation worse by screwing over players, but I don’t see it actually making us a place players want to play for unless they have to, but I do think the culture converts some into believers to stick around, like Patty and maybe Rudy, for example.

Edit: I now see that others have already had this conversation.

rankingtear
03-12-2021, 09:20 AM

Marc Gasol

Ice009
03-12-2021, 09:28 AM
So how does a buyout work exactly? Does the player get the full amount owed on his contract, or is it a negotiation to get out of his contract to leave early? For example, if he's owed 24M, can the Spurs say something like "we'll give you 21M and let you out of your contract", or does he still get that amount no matter what? If so, is the negotiation part just about over how many years he gets paid out in?

No a buyout means LMA and the Spurs agree on how much of his contract they are going to pay in order for him to be a free agent. If the spurs wanted to they could just pay out 100% of the rest of his contract and owe him nothing else and contractually it would be like he played out the last year of his contract. Now typically in buyouts players either want A 100% of the money they are owed or B they let the team pay them less than is owed on the contract BUT then the team has to pay them some money the next year.

Edit : Just read this post and it clears it up a bit for me. So they can agree to a lesser amount? I don't understand about having the pay him money the following year if they agree to a lesser amount, though.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 09:35 AM
So how does a buyout work exactly? Does the player get the full amount owed on his contract, or is it a negotiation to get out of his contract to leave early? For example, if he's owed 24M, can the Spurs say something like "we'll give you 21M and let you out of your contract", or does he still get that amount no matter what? If so, is the negotiation part just about over how many years he gets paid out in?

He’s actually no longer owed $24M. The remainder of his salary is somewhere in the vicinity of half that. It is a negotiation. Back in the day, it was pretty standard to get 50%, but that seems to have gone up in the last 5-10 years. I don’t believe they can pay him out over subsequent years, since he’s only owed money this year, nor do I want them to. It’s not additional money owed, it’s a discount to money already owed. They’ll just pay him whatever the negotiated amount this year, and that will be less than they owed him originally.

Dejounte
03-12-2021, 09:36 AM

Edit : Just read this post and it clears it up a bit for me. So they can agree to a lesser amount? I don't understand about having the pay him money the following year if they agree to a lesser amount, though.

The Spurs don't need to pay him anymore after this season.

This is all about negotiating how much percentage of his contract that LMA wants to give back to the Spurs since he's breaking the contract.

Dejounte
03-12-2021, 09:38 AM
This actually means the Spurs preference would be to move quickly on the buyout since it would mean paying LMA more if they waited all the way until the trade deadline.

Another sign that they have SOME confidence something can get done with another team via trade.

Excessive Egotist
03-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Is there a bad contract you'd be willing to take back for Aldridge provided it came with at least one first round pick? Which bad contract? How many picks?

Alternatively, is there a player whom you'd be willing to be willing trade for if you attached the '21 pick and maybe Walker to Aldridge?

rankingtear
03-12-2021, 09:54 AM
This actually means the Spurs preference would be to move quickly on the buyout since it would mean paying LMA more if they waited all the way until the trade deadline.

Another sign that they have SOME confidence something can get done with another team via trade.

Their priority most likely is an out of conference trade. Buyout is the last resort as we are still trying to make the playoffs.

TheChillFactor
03-12-2021, 10:00 AM
He took FOREVER to adjust to our team. I remember yelling at him for years because he never knew when to shoot and when to pass. He couldn't really play the team game the way so many of our players could - you needed to give him the ball and get out of his way for him to be effective.

That being said, I came to respect him and the way he handled himself. He was probably the guy that got fucked the hardest by Kawhi.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Great write-up timvp

Agree that Aldridge did deliver on expectations (even in the massive shadow cast by Tim Duncan) and that a lack of LO trophy isn’t on him

As for next steps, I don’t see a trade happening unless the Spurs include other pieces. To your point, not many teams have the ability to absorb LA’s contract and the ones that do, aren’t going to sacrifice anything of value to do so. The Spurs also are handicapped by available roster spots.

Perhaps Boston...

cjw
03-12-2021, 10:18 AM

They almost certainly won’t stretch out his remaining salary and will probably take the hit all this year. There is no reason to, as it eats into years they have cap space.

For the Demarre Carroll buyout, the stretch made more sense as they weren’t going to have space in any of those years anyway and it bought them space under the tax. Yes, there’s a small amount remaining next year.

The Truth #6
03-12-2021, 10:52 AM
Random technical question: if another team signs him this season does that affect how much we owe him? Are we recompensed any of that amount? Perhaps I’m thinking of the stretch provision rules.

KingKev
03-12-2021, 11:03 AM
They almost certainly won’t stretch out his remaining salary and will probably take the hit all this year. There is no reason to, as it eats into years they have cap space.

For the Demarre Carroll buyout, the stretch made more sense as they weren’t going to have space in any of those years anyway and it bought them space under the tax. Yes, there’s a small amount remaining next year.

not entirely true. Who is the resident capologist?

look_at_g_shred
03-12-2021, 11:11 AM
He’s actually no longer owed $24M. The remainder of his salary is somewhere in the vicinity of half that. It is a negotiation. Back in the day, it was pretty standard to get 50%, but that seems to have gone up in the last 5-10 years. I don’t believe they can pay him out over subsequent years, since he’s only owed money this year, nor do I want them to. It’s not additional money owed, it’s a discount to money already owed. They’ll just pay him whatever the negotiated amount this year, and that will be less than they owed him originally.
Thanks to everyone who cleared this up for me. Other than freeing up playing time for others, what benefit does this have in terms of cap space this season? Do we have more space for a buyout guy?

KobesAchilles
03-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Would've rang in 2016 if Timmy was healthy.
Would've been back to back champs in 2017 if Kawhi wasn't Zaza'd. Overall I feel bad for LMA bc he was robbed of two opportunities for a ring due to injury and his legacy would look A LOT different.

spurs10
03-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Well it would be great to get something in return, but March 25th is just around the corner. I hope LMA goes to the Lakers or somewhere where he can win a championship.

:bobo Good luck to him!

lefty
03-12-2021, 11:54 AM
:lol this forum

We must get rid of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry thanks for the memories LMA

cjw
03-12-2021, 12:00 PM
not entirely true. Who is the resident capologist?

Only reason I can think of to stretch is to have room below the tax this year to use the rest of the MLE. But is that worth sacrificing the next two years to the tune of $7-$8mm each year?

TDomination
03-12-2021, 12:05 PM
I wish we were able to reward our only Big Free Agent signing with a championship. 2015-16 team was really really good. Overshadowed by Warriors record breaking 73 win season, the Spurs were a monster that year. But Duncans knees giving out on him killed that team. Otherwise thats a championship team.

The following year was a great team as well. Getting better as the season went on. We had the Warriors number but of course it was not meant to be.

Outside of that, i feel fine with LMA's tenure with the Spurs. I wish him the best and hopefully we can get something in return that works for the spurs.

Maddog
03-12-2021, 12:19 PM
Yeah. Really the only Spurs during the "classic run" who complained about the environment after leaving was S. Jackson. (And I guess Rodman if you go back a little earlier). But in the last 5 years so there have been many malcontents including Blair, DeColo, Dedman, David West (that was one of the first signs, a major player who sacrificed a ton of cash to join, then left disgruntled and he had a pro's pro rep), Jonathon Simmons, Kawhi (though while disgruntled, he was going to CA either way, so who knows), and now LMA. It's not that the culture is bad, its just returning to normal NBA since the last championship.

I never quite understood D West he praised the organization while here and then I got the impression he was unhappy afterwards- don't remember the details or even if it was true
As far as the other disgruntled individuals...
Simmons, De Colo, Dedmon, Blair- I think only Dedmon had even a semi- productive career after leaving and is not currently playing at age 30
With all the Spurs tried to help them

buttsR4rebounding
03-12-2021, 12:24 PM
Only reason I can think of to stretch is to have room below the tax this year to use the rest of the MLE. But is that worth sacrificing the next two years to the tune of $7-$8mm each year?

The only amount to be stretched is the amount of remaining salary. I thought I read somewhere that he would be owed $8.5 million at the trade deadline. So if they were to stretch it would only be between 2 and 3 million per year. But really, there is no one that they will want to sign to an MLE type contract anyway. If you are going to buy him out then just bite the bullet.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 12:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who cleared this up for me. Other than freeing up playing time for others, what benefit does this have in terms of cap space this season? Do we have more space for a buyout guy?

It depends on the money recouped from the buyout. The concensus seems to be that with our room under the tax, we would have enough to sign a prorated first year minimum contract at or around the time of the trade deadline or buyout deadline. If we have more, we can sign someone with maybe more experience. The minimum money jumps sharply after the rookie season.

The Truth #6
03-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Stretching seems like a bad option. Why screw up future years? I’m just happy we are moving on from him this year and not re-signing him.

daslicer
03-12-2021, 12:42 PM
I never quite understood D West he praised the organization while here and then I got the impression he was unhappy afterwards- don't remember the details or even if it was true
Simmons, De Colo, Dedmon, Blair- I think only Dedmon had even a semi- productive career after leaving and is not currently playing at age 30

West was bitter about losing to the Thunder. That's really what it was about. He took less money to sign with the Spurs but failed hence him bolting and then signing with the Warriors for cheap.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 12:53 PM
In order to be stretched it would have had to happen by September 1st. (in a normal year this is before the season so while the date may have been moved back I bet it was still before the season.) He would not be able to be stretched.

The buyout can be an amount agreed by LMA and the Spurs. If a player really wants out it is usually less then if they team wants to get rid of him. since this is "mutual" I would think it would be on the higher end of his contract. A lot of the buyouts have where if he signs a new contract that the Spurs get half of whatever he signs for towards the amount he is owed by them. Them waiting till after the trade deadline does not really effect how much they would owe Aldridge.

DPG21920
03-12-2021, 01:07 PM

Disagree. There is no such thing as good will. You can certainly harm yourself if you act really poorly but you can’t buy goodwill.

Spurs need assets more than anything else - money talks and they will have a healthy amount of that to convince guys.

Thomas82
03-12-2021, 01:29 PM

I would be trying to work out a deal with Cleveland. I wouldn't mind taking back Kevin Love's contract for 2 years if it means I get a potentially high lottery pick in return. Also, LMA likely wouldn't be stuck in Cleveland. Since his contract is expiring, they very well could buy him out and he would be free to go where he wants.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 01:31 PM
In order to be stretched it would have had to happen by September 1st. (in a normal year this is before the season so while the date may have been moved back I bet it was still before the season.) He would not be able to be stretched.

The buyout can be an amount agreed by LMA and the Spurs. If a player really wants out it is usually less then if they team wants to get rid of him. since this is "mutual" I would think it would be on the higher end of his contract. A lot of the buyouts have where if he signs a new contract that the Spurs get half of whatever he signs for towards the amount he is owed by them. Them waiting till after the trade deadline does not really effect how much they would owe Aldridge.
Why would you even want to stretch him? Say he’s owed $12M. He agrees to a hypothetical buyout of $9M. You’ve already baked a cost of $12M into your cap for the year. Just pay him the damn $9M, and be done with it. No point in carrying more dead money into more future years.

Dex
03-12-2021, 01:40 PM
Well it would be great to get something in return, but March 25th is just around the corner. I hope LMA goes to the Lakers or somewhere where he can win a championship.

:bobo Good luck to him!

:vomit:

FTL.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 01:40 PM
Why would you even want to stretch him? Say he’s owed $12M. He agrees to a hypothetical buyout of $9M. You’ve already baked a cost of $12M into your cap for the year. Just pay him the damn $9M, and be done with it. No point in carrying more dead money into more future years.

I agree you would not but some were asking if you could. I was answering their question saying you could not. Since we are under the cap and hopefully will get some savings from LMA there is no reason to stretch him.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 01:48 PM
I agree you would not but some were asking if you could. I was answering their question saying you could not. Since we are under the cap and hopefully will get some savings from LMA there is no reason to stretch him.

We’re under the tax, but not under the cap.

dbestpro
03-12-2021, 01:50 PM
LMA does not want to go to a team unless he starts and they are in the playoff hunt. All the fools out there that think they can get LMA on the buyout and see him back up Embid, Ayton or some other big is fantasy land.

KingKev
03-12-2021, 02:20 PM
LMA does not want to go to a team unless he starts and they are in the playoff hunt. All the fools out there that think they can get LMA on the buyout and see him back up Embid, Ayton or some other big is fantasy land.

You are just speculating. I’m sure he is okay with coming off the bench for a potential contender, most of whom have nothing to offer us via trade so they are hoping for a buyout. If the Lakers want me off the bench and Phoenix offers me a starting role, as LMA i’m going to the Lakers. I doubt he accepts a trade to a bottom feeder that guarantees a starting role. This is why there is virtually no value to extract from his fat ass other than saving a few million on a buyout and putting an end to his Spurs legacy, or lack-thereof, which we should all be thankful is over.

Thomas82
03-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Is there a bad contract you'd be willing to take back for Aldridge provided it came with at least one first round pick? Which bad contract? How many picks?

Alternatively, is there a player whom you'd be willing to be willing trade for if you attached the '21 pick and maybe Walker to Aldridge?

For me, I would try to deal with Cleveland for Love's contract and their lottery pick this year.

Degoat
03-12-2021, 02:32 PM
I have a bad feeling he just gets bought out

rjv
03-12-2021, 02:37 PM
does any one know what kind of hit the spurs cap will take if they wind up having to buy out LMA's contract?

Dejounte
03-12-2021, 02:40 PM

17 days after Blake Griffin and the Pistons agree to part ways, they agree to a buyout

The following day (18th day) they complete a buyout

Keep in mind, Blake Griffin was 10x more difficult to find a trade partner with.

exstatic
03-12-2021, 03:04 PM
does any one know what kind of hit the spurs cap will take if they wind up having to buy out LMA's contract?

None. Buying a player out means you pay less than his full salary for him to be free. Say his remaining salary is $12M, and you negotiate a buyout of $10M (all numbers are strictly examples), you now have $2M more under the tax.

poopbox
03-12-2021, 04:18 PM

I feel the spurs would take a bad contract ONLY if it is attached to a player they plan to pursue in the off season. I feel confident they will pursue Collins and Laurie. If Atlanta tells them we will give you collins in a trade now for LMA but Bogdan is not working out so you got to take his 4 year 72 million dollar contract the spurs would do that because it means they get a player that they covet in Collins. If it's not a player that they covet, then no, they won't take that bad contract, because they specifically set their cap situation up for lma, demar, rudy, and patty to all expire at the same time WHILE still having young guys on rookie deals. They spent years setting up all this soon to be capspace they are not going to sacrifice some just to make lma happy in a trade or for a player they don't see a future in.

I feel the same way about Lonnie. Spurs would much prefer to keep him but with the addition of Vassel if it takes Lonnie to get a deal done to get a player that they want then I feel like he will be out of here. He has been sort of the jerked around odd man out player for the last two seasons and between all our guards he is not entrenched into any specific role.

poopbox
03-12-2021, 04:20 PM

Well the original circumstance was that he contract just ended in the off season and we never would have gotten anything for him.

The spurs are looking for very specific players in a trade and it is very unlikely that lma gets them those very specific players because he does not fit with the teams they have those specific players the spurs want.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-12-2021, 04:26 PM
A buyout wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. If structured properly I’d almost rather do that than get stuck with another team’s garbage.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 04:33 PM
We’re under the tax, but not under the cap.

Your right I meant tax.

BacktoBasics
03-12-2021, 04:56 PM
I would be trying to work out a deal with Cleveland. I wouldn't mind taking back Kevin Love's contract for 2 years if it means I get a potentially high lottery pick in return. Also, LMA likely wouldn't be stuck in Cleveland. Since his contract is expiring, they very well could buy him out and he would be free to go where he wants.

Honestly I’m sick of hearing this. There is no way Cleveland is going to give up a lottery pick to shed one extra year of a crappy contract.

That lottery pick has a perceived value more than any two players on our team combined. It’s a deep draft and no one is giving up a lottery pick unless they absolutely rape and gut a team.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 05:01 PM
Honestly I’m sick of hearing this. There is no way Cleveland is going to give up a lottery pick to shed one extra year of a crappy contract.

That lottery pick has a perceived value more than any two players on our team combined. It’s a deep draft and no one is giving up a lottery pick unless they absolutely rape and gut a team.

I believe it is 2 extra years. It goes through the 22-23 year.

Seventyniner
03-12-2021, 05:02 PM

Love has two more seasons on his contract after this year. It's a pretty terrible contract. Being able to trade it for expirings would give Cleveland about as much cap space this summer as the Spurs would have if they stand pat ($53M or so minus minimum roster charges and rookie salaries, assuming all cap holds are waived).

Not that Cleveland is a free agent destination, but stupid teams do stupid things sometimes.

SAGirl
03-12-2021, 05:42 PM
LMA has been overall a great pro, bit of drama here and there but compared with today's NBA he has been quiet and did his job to the best of his abilities. Spurs should be grateful for that.

Now on the negative side:

- LMA was probably the biggest free agent signing to SA, and I'm not sure his experience will encourage other big names to come here one day. During his tenure here he became a bit invisible for the media and had to mold into Pop mentality of team first stars after. All in all his signing is just confirmation of what was already known on the market, SA is a small market dominated by Pop, if not winning you won't increase your value coming here.
- LMA helped keep alive Spurs competiveness and as already mentionned without uncle and zaza we probably have 1 or 2 titles with LMA being second option of a winning team. Unfortunately zaza uncle happened and with LMA Spurs became a slightly above average team. Without LMA Spurs would have moved on faster towards the future.
Welcome back! :bobo Agree with this on both counts.

I had wished the Spurs had fallen off sooner and would have probably recovered by now bc I trust their drafting and there have been franchise players going in the lottery in the years they would have sucked hard (after the big 3 retired and Kawhi bolted). I thought that was the perfect time to rebuild. They didn’t and having the big man LMA was a big reason they probably chose to compete and in that he helped them. So if there’s going to be criticism of the decision to keep LMA that should be laid at the feet of the FO. LMA was good for what they wanted to do and IMO he wants to ring chase. He’s old and his days off playing at a high level are likely over, it’s common for guys at this stage to want to move on to teams that are closer to contending. See recently Iguodala and I remember D.West doing the same. People act like they are surprised.

These players want to generally spend their last year or two in a good team. After falling off the playoffs last season I suspect Lamarcus wanted to move on since back then. Demar was in trade rumors last year as well and was not extended so I am simply surprised that it’s become official and that Lamarcus has played his last game as a Spur bc I thought he’d finish out the season but I suspect he has been more than patient because the FO didn’t find a trade they liked. So now he put his foot down and doesn’t want to play until he’s traded or let go. Seems selfish indeed but not if we consider he likely has been trying to get traded since last year (speculation but it was out there).

SAGirl
03-12-2021, 06:07 PM
D.west was kind of a mystery but he was clearly upset by how he was played in the playoffs in the series against OKC. We wouldn’t know the kind of conversations that happened between him and the FO, but he left the court clearly upset after getting eliminated by OKC in that game 6. Pop could have played Boban or the team could have addressed the problem of playing West as a center earlier in the season through a trade. Diaw and West being manhandled by the bench bigs was a problem through the season people used to call him turd towers 2. Duncan’s knee gave out that year as well which was another reason to try to address the problems with their center rotation and it doomed them. If they thought Boban was the answer he should have been tested sooner (and if found wanting something else could be done). I am not excusing West, but I do think he was upset he left a lot of money to ring chase and the team didn’t do everything they could for that ring. Timmys one good knee quit that year and it was on an expiration date anyways.

that’s my recollection of it. Still West always gave me a bad feeling afterwards, like a player that had a double face. Saying one thing meaning another for example. It was clear he wanted to ring chase and was upset that didn’t happen in SA. One doesn’t know the kind of promises made (to do everything possible to ring that year, then failing to address the problems created by Timmys good knee giving out and Boban not being the answer, or not getting an opportunity earlier in the playoffs). Pop basically died on the hill of having DWest and Diaw play together and being manhandled.

Mr. Body
03-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Disagree. There is no such thing as good will. You can certainly harm yourself if you act really poorly but you can’t buy goodwill.

Spurs need assets more than anything else - money talks and they will have a healthy amount of that to convince guys.

You seem to have no idea how this team works whatsoever.

DPG21920
03-12-2021, 06:18 PM
You seem to have no idea how this team works whatsoever.

1) That is wrong.

2) It doesn’t change the validity of what I said. The team can act and do whatever they want; but we’ve seen there is no such thing as goodwill truly being quantifiable.

SAGirl
03-12-2021, 06:21 PM
Expecting this myself though I hope for a trade...

Mr. Body
03-12-2021, 06:36 PM
1) That is wrong.

2) It doesn’t change the validity of what I said. The team can act and do whatever they want; but we’ve seen there is no such thing as goodwill truly being quantifiable.

You simply have no idea about how the Spurs operate. No idea.

BacktoBasics
03-12-2021, 06:49 PM
Love has two more seasons on his contract after this year. It's a pretty terrible contract. Being able to trade it for expirings would give Cleveland about as much cap space this summer as the Spurs would have if they stand pat ($53M or so minus minimum roster charges and rookie salaries, assuming all cap holds are waived).

Not that Cleveland is a free agent destination, but stupid teams do stupid things sometimes.

When I say 1. It’s to shed the one year before he becomes an expiring contract. Which makes him even more movable. Including a savings on a buyout of it were to come to that. There’s no real motivation to move him unless it’s to their benefit.

So really they wouldn’t be moving more than a year of his contract. That’s not worth a lottery. Not even close.

They’re no where near the playoffs.

It would take monumental stupidity to let go of a high lottery pick in a deep draft to save one year. Even if you draft a great prospect you’re likely gonna need a year or two with him to build around it. By then Love is gone anyway.

Do we even have examples of teams moving high lottery picks to shed a contract? Maybe accidentally but not knowingly.

They’re not doing that. There are better odds of Cleveland winning a ring this year than there are of them trading that pick to move Love for Aldridge’s corpse.

John B
03-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Thanks Aldridge. Blame Zaza for not ringing up. I can't really blame him for ring chasing at his age. And #12 was always meant for Bruce in the rafters. Goodluck!

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 07:16 PM
When I say 1. It’s to shed the one year before he becomes an expiring contract. Which makes him even more movable. Including a savings on a buyout of it were to come to that. There’s no real motivation to move him unless it’s to their benefit.

So really they wouldn’t be moving more than a year of his contract. That’s not worth a lottery. Not even close.

They’re no where near the playoffs.

It would take monumental stupidity to let go of a high lottery pick in a deep draft to save one year. Even if you draft a great prospect you’re likely gonna need a year or two with him to build around it. By then Love is gone anyway.

Do we even have examples of teams moving high lottery picks to shed a contract? Maybe accidentally but not knowingly.

They’re not doing that. There are better odds of Cleveland winning a ring this year than there are of them trading that pick to move Love for Aldridge’s corpse.

Love still has this year and two more after that. If your saying that third year doesnt count because it is movable then LMA should have tons of value because he is in that same spot so is Drummond and Tucker. Griffin would not have been bad as he would have less then have a year left.

As far as a high pick for a player you might be able to look at the Miny pick that was moved to get rid of Wiggins. Druss was gotten back in that trade but his contract is not great either. If they would not want to do this year maybe they do next year. There could be value in the moving his contract how much is up for debate.

BacktoBasics
03-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Love still has this year and two more after that. If your saying that third year doesnt count because it is movable then LMA should have tons of value because he is in that same spot so is Drummond and Tucker. Griffin would not have been bad as he would have less then have a year left.

As far as a high pick for a player you might be able to look at the Miny pick that was moved to get rid of Wiggins. Druss was gotten back in that trade but his contract is not great either. If they would not want to do this year maybe they do next year. There could be value in the moving his contract how much is up for debate.

You’re making my point for me.

If we move Aldridge for a piece, great. If we buyout Aldridge and save some money on his final year, great.

Love has two more years. So worst case they’ll save on that second year with a buyout. So like I said they’re really only shedding 1 full year. I guess you could look at it as shedding a year and half if you want to get picky.

It’s a shitty crop of FA this off-season. They’re not gonna sign a game changer. Their best shot at a game changer is that pick. Not cap relief.

Your example shows a return of a borderline all star player on the right side of 25. So I’m no Druss fan but he’s arguably a good player in return. A piece they felt would fit alongside KAT and be more impactful than Wiggins.

That’s a lot different than simply moving a pick to shed a contract. Aldridge is no druss... on paper or in reality.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 07:47 PM
You’re making my point for me.

If we move Aldridge for a piece, great. If we buyout Aldridge and save some money on his final year, great.

Love has two more years. So worst case they’ll save on that second year with a buyout. So like I said they’re really only shedding 1 full year. I guess you could look at it as shedding a year and half if you want to get picky.

It’s a shitty crop of FA this off-season. They’re not gonna sign a game changer. Their best shot at a game changer is that pick. Not cap relief.

Your example shows a return of a borderline all star player on the right side of 25. So I’m no Druss fan but he’s arguably a good player in return. A piece they felt would fit alongside KAT and be more impactful than Wiggins.

That’s a lot different than simply moving a pick to shed a contract. Aldridge is no druss... on paper or in reality.

Love does not have to accept a buyout so it is not 1 and a half years it is 2. You could actually make the argument the other way in that LMA may be willing to take less since he has more incentive to leave and could give up some money. More teams will be wanting to pick up Aldridge then love so he has more incentive to get out of his contract.

You asked for a trade that someone got a pick for dumping a contract. from what I saw the pick was to take on Wiggins extra years of his contract. Russel is exactly a year young then wiggins.

Ice009
03-12-2021, 07:52 PM

The Spurs don't need to pay him anymore after this season.

This is all about negotiating how much percentage of his contract that LMA wants to give back to the Spurs since he's breaking the contract.

Thanks for the explanation, guys.

Random technical question: if another team signs him this season does that affect how much we owe him? Are we recompensed any of that amount? Perhaps I’m thinking of the stretch provision rules.

Interesting question. I'm curious about this too. If a team signs him for less than the minimum, do the Spurs get some of that money back?

Would've rang in 2016 if Timmy was healthy.
Would've been back to back champs in 2017 if Kawhi wasn't Zaza'd. Overall I feel bad for LMA bc he was robbed of two opportunities for a ring due to injury and his legacy would look A LOT different.

Darn, now that I recall, didn't Tim hurt his knee in the latter part of that season and wasn't the same after that? He was playing at a darn good level before that if I remember correctly? I think that is what ultimately led to his retirement that off-season, didn't it? He was playing very well before hurting his knee and it still didn't feel right in the off-season when he started training from what I remember, and that is what made him call it quits? Anyone remember the details?

BacktoBasics
03-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Love does not have to accept a buyout so it is not 1 and a half years it is 2. You could actually make the argument the other way in that LMA may be willing to take less since he has more incentive to leave and could give up some money. More teams will be wanting to pick up Aldridge then love so he has more incentive to get out of his contract.

You asked for a trade that someone got a pick for dumping a contract. from what I saw the pick was to take on Wiggins extra years of his contract. Russel is exactly a year young then wiggins.

Okay buddy. I’m with you. Honestly I can’t believe that no team has jumped on that lottery pick yet since it’s so easy to come by for nothing more than expirings. Definitely looking forward to draft night where we’ll have what? A 15-20% chance of the first pick.

All because we saved Cleveland all that money.

Gonna suck on Spurstalk for few days when we get a second or buyout for nothing when a lottery pick for Aldridge was on the table.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Okay buddy. I’m with you. Honestly I can’t believe that no team has jumped on that lottery pick yet since it’s so easy to come by for nothing more than expirings. Definitely looking forward to draft night where we’ll have what? A 15-20% chance of the first pick.

All because we saved Cleveland all that money.

Gonna suck on Spurstalk for few days when we get a second or buyout for nothing when a lottery pick for Aldridge was on the table.

Im not saying we will get one. You asked for a trade where a team did. I showed an example. Your the one saying the last season of a contract doesnt count. if thats the case it should be very easy to trade LMA.

BacktoBasics
03-12-2021, 08:42 PM
Im not saying we will get one. You asked for a trade where a team did. I showed an example. Your the one saying the last season of a contract doesnt count. if thats the case it should be very easy to trade LMA.

You didn’t show a legitimate example. Druss made giving the pick for the salary dump palatable. That is a far cry from Aldridge for Love and a high lottery.

It’s fucking absurd and like I said it would require our two best players to even sniff that pick. Which for many reasons isn’t a smart move for us.

You people have step way beyond pipe dreams these last few days.

talkspurs
03-12-2021, 09:06 PM
You didn’t show a legitimate example. Druss made giving the pick for the salary dump palatable. That is a far cry from Aldridge for Love and a high lottery.

It’s fucking absurd and like I said it would require our two best players to even sniff that pick. Which for many reasons isn’t a smart move for us.

You people have step way beyond pipe dreams these last few days.

If your going to change things then you can always find reasons not to believe. Im going to go look at every NBA trade to find one. if you want to look for one thats one you.

duncan2k5
03-12-2021, 09:29 PM
I'm not gonna talk good about LMA simply because he is leaving... And I'm not gonna act like a battered wife with low self-esteem... Simply happy that someone wanted me (analogy of star players not choosing San Antonio)

The truth is we should have traded him when he asked for it... That was NOT a team first mentality... Our best regular season ever, and on the way to beating the warriors... Gave him the most successful year he has ever had reaching the wcf... asked for a trade and didn't give a reason not had a conversation with anyone as to why until AFTER he couldn't be traded...

Decided to stay for the money... Not because of some heroic desire to carry us on his back... His body language has been negative ever since...

He and another all star player led us to a first round exit and to the lottery... I remember when we had standards as a fanbase we would RIP them apart for underachieving... Player like that on other teams we used to mock and laugh at... Now we are here saying we are lucky to have them on our team...

And of course to top it off... Mr team player got in his feelings when pop put him on the bench... That's the guy we are gonna show love to? Ginobili accepted a bench role in his prime... Duncan even went to the bench coming off injury once... Duncan! Parker at least accepted a bench role for the season... Those are legendary NBA players... And Mr Aldridge wanted a trade two games after going to the bench... Lol... Good riddance

wildbill2u
03-12-2021, 09:39 PM
Is a buyout really worth it when he could just play as a reserve?

cjw
03-12-2021, 10:26 PM
The only amount to be stretched is the amount of remaining salary. I thought I read somewhere that he would be owed $8.5 million at the trade deadline. So if they were to stretch it would only be between 2 and 3 million per year. But really, there is no one that they will want to sign to an MLE type contract anyway. If you are going to buy him out then just bite the bullet.

That’s a good point - comes down to whether they want tax room this year to fit another guy, or preserve flexibility going forward. They’re not winning a title this year, so I’d usually say no question you bite the bullet now. But if they have something up their sleeve with a piece of the MLE and it helps make playoffs, I could be fine losing $2-$3mm off cap next two years.

DPG21920
03-12-2021, 10:59 PM
You simply have no idea about how the Spurs operate. No idea.

Quality post.

BacktoBasics
03-12-2021, 11:48 PM
If your going to change things then you can always find reasons not to believe. Im going to go look at every NBA trade to find one. if you want to look for one thats one you.

Yeah I completely understand. You’ll be looking forever because I doubt such a trade exists or it’s exceedingly rare. Either way what you’re suggesting won’t happen.

Mr. Body
03-12-2021, 11:52 PM
Quality post.

Thanks.

tbdog
03-13-2021, 12:13 AM
I'm not gonna talk good about LMA simply because he is leaving... And I'm not gonna act like a battered wife with low self-esteem... Simply happy that someone wanted me (analogy of star players not choosing San Antonio)

The truth is we should have traded him when he asked for it... That was NOT a team first mentality... Our best regular season ever, and on the way to beating the warriors... Gave him the most successful year he has ever had reaching the wcf... asked for a trade and didn't give a reason not had a conversation with anyone as to why until AFTER he couldn't be traded...

Decided to stay for the money... Not because of some heroic desire to carry us on his back... His body language has been negative ever since...

He and another all star player led us to a first round exit and to the lottery... I remember when we had standards as a fanbase we would RIP them apart for underachieving... Player like that on other teams we used to mock and laugh at... Now we are here saying we are lucky to have them on our team...

And of course to top it off... Mr team player got in his feelings when pop put him on the bench... That's the guy we are gonna show love to? Ginobili accepted a bench role in his prime... Duncan even went to the bench coming off injury once... Duncan! Parker at least accepted a bench role for the season... Those are legendary NBA players... And Mr Aldridge wanted a trade two games after going to the bench... Lol... Good riddance

Your reading way to much in between the lines. Spurs had looked at trading LMA for two off seasons without finding anything that made sense. He started for the Spurs this season until his hip injury, then poeltl finally found form. Just like how Gasol lost his spot to poeltl as well. It had little to do with LMA wanting out but rather wanting to play for a title or have a key starting role. Something the Spurs were unwilling and unable to give him moving forward. This is not a Jackson situation here.

KobesAchilles
03-13-2021, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the explanation, guys.

Interesting question. I'm curious about this too. If a team signs him for less than the minimum, do the Spurs get some of that money back?

Darn, now that I recall, didn't Tim hurt his knee in the latter part of that season and wasn't the same after that? He was playing at a darn good level before that if I remember correctly? I think that is what ultimately led to his retirement that off-season, didn't it? He was playing very well before hurting his knee and it still didn't feel right in the off-season when he started training from what I remember, and that is what made him call it quits? Anyone remember the details?
Yeah he hurt it like a month before the playoffs and never recovered. It was his good knee too which is why he retired. The way we were playing that year, with all that championship experience, we would’ve knocked off Golden St that year. I never bet against Tim Duncan against the Warriors :lol

Ice009
03-13-2021, 12:32 AM
Yeah he hurt it like a month before the playoffs and never recovered. It was his good knee too which is why he retired. The way we were playing that year, with all that championship experience, we would’ve knocked off Golden St that year. I never bet against Tim Duncan against the Warriors :lol

Thanks. I thought that was the case, cause he was playing pretty darn well up to that point of the season. When he came back, I remember he didn't play as well the rest of the season. I also forgot it was his good knee . I also remember the Spurs wanted him to come back and told him to take his time, but someone mentioned that Tim tried to start doing his regular off-season workouts, but the knee still wasn't good, so he told the Spurs he can't come back. That really sucked :(.

talkspurs
03-13-2021, 12:57 AM
That’s a good point - comes down to whether they want tax room this year to fit another guy, or preserve flexibility going forward. They’re not winning a title this year, so I’d usually say no question you bite the bullet now. But if they have something up their sleeve with a piece of the MLE and it helps make playoffs, I could be fine losing $2-$3mm off cap next two years.

You cant stretch in the last year of the contract.

DPG21920
03-13-2021, 01:18 AM
Just wish Sa had a little more planning and foresight. It was obvious that trading lma should have been more strongly considered but their lack of direction leads to him being moved at his lowest possible value it seems.

pad300
03-13-2021, 01:46 AM
A lot of posts in here seem a little "monday morning QB". They apparently did try to trade LMA this offseason when his value was higher... and the deal failed with Klay's injury just before the draft...

daslicer
03-13-2021, 01:49 AM
A lot of posts in here seem a little "monday morning QB". They apparently did try to trade LMA this offseason when his value was higher... and the deal failed with Klay's injury just before the draft...

His value wasn't high in the summer of '20. The time to trade him was either in summer of '18 or '19 when he had the best seasons of his career.

Mr. Body
03-13-2021, 01:50 AM

No, this never happened.

Thomas82
03-13-2021, 03:06 AM
His value wasn't high in the summer of '20. The time to trade him was either in summer of '18 or '19 when he had the best seasons of his career.

Facts!!

DAF86
03-13-2021, 04:41 AM
I'm very grateful for that time where we won 60+ games and he asked for a trade because he wasn't getting 20+ ppg, tbh.

DAF86
03-13-2021, 04:41 AM
Fucking loser ass mentality.

duncan2k5
03-13-2021, 06:04 AM
Your reading way to much in between the lines. Spurs had looked at trading LMA for two off seasons without finding anything that made sense. He started for the Spurs this season until his hip injury, then poeltl finally found form. Just like how Gasol lost his spot to poeltl as well. It had little to do with LMA wanting out but rather wanting to play for a title or have a key starting role. Something the Spurs were unwilling and unable to give him moving forward. This is not a Jackson situation here.

If that was the case, he would have been traded before the season when it was clear we were a lottery team... everyone knew we weren't a contender...y'all make LMA seem like some noble guy...this is the same guy that demanded a trade after winning the most games and reaching the furthest he ever reached...it's not like he got mad and threw a fit in the coaches office...he immediately went for the nuclear option! And it was clear what we was doing was working... Over touches! You think this same guy wouldn't ask for a trade over being benched?

tbdog
03-13-2021, 06:58 AM
If that was the case, he would have been traded before the season when it was clear we were a lottery team... everyone knew we weren't a contender...y'all make LMA seem like some noble guy...this is the same guy that demanded a trade after winning the most games and reaching the furthest he ever reached...it's not like he got mad and threw a fit in the coaches office...he immediately went for the nuclear option! And it was clear what we was doing was working... Over touches! You think this same guy wouldn't ask for a trade over being benched?

No, because he lost his start after his injury and when Poeltl clearly showed improvements.

The reason for the trade request wasn't just about touches. He said he was made to play a style he was uncomfortable. He also said that he was frozen out then asked to score at the end. He explained that doesn't work for him, that he is a rhythm player that needs touches to be relied upon down the stretch. He also never publically demand it, changed his mind and signed a contract.

Again, your filling in the gaps with negatively, and I don't support that.

duncan2k5
03-13-2021, 08:47 AM
No, because he lost his start after his injury and when Poeltl clearly showed improvements.

The reason for the trade request wasn't just about touches. He said he was made to play a style he was uncomfortable. He also said that he was frozen out then asked to score at the end. He explained that doesn't work for him, that he is a rhythm player that needs touches to be relied upon down the stretch. He also never publically demand it, changed his mind and signed a contract.

Again, your filling in the gaps with negatively, and I don't support that.

The point is he wanted to do what worked for him and not what was clearly working for the team... secondly it was public...we knew he had asked for a trade...I remember BEGGING on here for the Spurs to get the deal done and was upset when they didn't...he didn't change his mind...we couldn't trade him and he decided to take the money...it wasn't some heroic attempt to put us on his back

K...
03-13-2021, 09:51 AM
A conversation with spustalk: "they should have traded LMA in 2019"

and start poertle, gay, and luka?

"we'd get an all star big back if we traded LMA" ok.

The_Worlds_finest
03-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Im still confused as to why Pop didnt laugh that sorry ass player out of the office when he demanded a Retired Jersey Number.

exstatic
03-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Is a buyout really worth it when he could just play as a reserve?

It’s obvious that he refused, post Memphis blowout. He only played those three recent games off the bench because we had to field an 8 man roster, and the Spurs had been covering for his obstinace by creating fake injuries, first the lingering hip thing that miraculously healed when our roster was very short because of COVID, and then, when the players started returning, he developed a tummy ache that kept him out until the ASB.

tbdog
03-13-2021, 04:57 PM
The point is he wanted to do what worked for him and not what was clearly working for the team... secondly it was public...we knew he had asked for a trade...I remember BEGGING on here for the Spurs to get the deal done and was upset when they didn't...he didn't change his mind...we couldn't trade him and he decided to take the money...it wasn't some heroic attempt to put us on his back

It was public after, not during the request. I think Spurs leaked it and not LMA camp. I don't see the issue here.

KingKev
03-13-2021, 05:01 PM
It’s obvious that he refused, post Memphis blowout. He only played those three recent games off the bench because we had to field an 8 man roster, and the Spurs had been covering for his obstinace by creating fake injuries, first the lingering hip thing that miraculously healed when our roster was very short because of COVID, and then, when the players started returning, he developed a tummy ache that kept him out until the ASB.

haha “tummy ache”

Tell me LMA is a biatch saying he is a biatch! Send him to play for Wolves or Cavs please. We owe him nothing.

K...
03-13-2021, 05:35 PM
does anyone think the spurs have a decent deal set up, but went public to create pressure for a better/some competition?

Degoat
03-13-2021, 05:54 PM
does anyone think the spurs have a decent deal set up, but went public to create pressure for a better/some competition?

Im hoping that’s the case because if we end up just buying him out that’s such a waste imo

Mr. Body
03-13-2021, 07:18 PM

No.

Ice009
03-13-2021, 07:32 PM

Nope. That could blow your current deal up and then you end up with nothing. No way they'd go public if they had a deal in place.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-13-2021, 08:07 PM
kawhi really fucked some of your heads up

lma wasn't happy years ago, so he went and told pop to his face, like a professional, that he wanted a trade?

then they were able to work things out and he stayed and continued to play at a high level? then this year he gets hurt old and slow, loses his starting role and meaningful place on the team, so he and patfo worked out a mutual agreement to part ways to the benefit of both parties? (in the final year of his contract)

wow what a diva

Ice009
03-13-2021, 09:05 PM
kawhi really fucked some of your heads up

lma wasn't happy years ago, so he went and told pop to his face, like a professional, that he wanted a trade?

then they were able to work things out and he stayed and continued to play at a high level? then this year he gets hurt old and slow, loses his starting role and meaningful place on the team, so he and patfo worked out a mutual agreement to part ways to the benefit of both parties? (in the final year of his contract)

wow what a diva

A very decent perspective you have there, and yeah, Kawhi very well may have clouded my head up (can't speak for others, though). I guess LMA came to to try and win a Championship in his prime and it didn't happen for him. He also didn't bail while still in his prime (I'm not sure if he still wanted to leave a couple of years ago, though, or if the Spurs FO and LMA truly worked it out like you said. That is one thing that is not certain for me as it seems to be for you), so I guess if he wants to leave to try and win that ring, I can't fault him for that. He may deserve that chance/opportunity. I didn't want to wish him the best, but I may just do so after he is either traded or bought out (still hope he's traded and Spurs get something for him).

K...
03-13-2021, 09:12 PM
So people don't think the Spurs might have a bad deal in place and be looking for others? The only reason i think it is because some speculate that the Derozan deal was built off prior talks to pair a third all star around kawhi and LMA. The warriors had the spurs deal in place but never considered it because they chose not to. Lots of deals are never leaked because it would poison player relations. And LMA has been on the market long on enough that the spurs have undoubtedly gotten offers.

jjspur
03-13-2021, 10:51 PM
Best case scenario: Aldridge is traded and we get a player/pick or just picks or some combination of both.
Worst case scenario : Spurs being the Spurs, they let him walk and if we are lucky we get 1 million shaved off the 9 million or so of his remaining contract. Remember, right now we are paying him a lot of $$$$ to not play. Not a good situation to be in, just ask the Pistons.
Somewhere in between : Aldridge walks, we get enough cash back from him to get someone in the buyout market or 10 day contracts who can help out a bit.
Every day brings us closer to the deadline and a solution to our lingering problem. Hope it works out.

Brazil
03-15-2021, 07:11 AM
Welcome back! :bobo Agree with this on both counts.

I had wished the Spurs had fallen off sooner and would have probably recovered by now bc I trust their drafting and there have been franchise players going in the lottery in the years they would have sucked hard (after the big 3 retired and Kawhi bolted). I thought that was the perfect time to rebuild. They didn’t and having the big man LMA was a big reason they probably chose to compete and in that he helped them. So if there’s going to be criticism of the decision to keep LMA that should be laid at the feet of the FO. LMA was good for what they wanted to do and IMO he wants to ring chase. He’s old and his days off playing at a high level are likely over, it’s common for guys at this stage to want to move on to teams that are closer to contending. See recently Iguodala and I remember D.West doing the same. People act like they are surprised.

These players want to generally spend their last year or two in a good team. After falling off the playoffs last season I suspect Lamarcus wanted to move on since back then. Demar was in trade rumors last year as well and was not extended so I am simply surprised that it’s become official and that Lamarcus has played his last game as a Spur bc I thought he’d finish out the season but I suspect he has been more than patient because the FO didn’t find a trade they liked. So now he put his foot down and doesn’t want to play until he’s traded or let go. Seems selfish indeed but not if we consider he likely has been trying to get traded since last year (speculation but it was out there).

:bobo

missing the :bobo days...

Dude is assistant to the FNT General Manager.. he is calling himself Happiness Manager in charge of well being of the players.. :lol still drinking a lot of coffee spending time in Bordeaux where I had the chance to see him once in a while before the covid.

Ice009
03-15-2021, 09:32 AM
Boris is such a freaking cool guy. Would love to hang out with him.

So you actually know him personally?

EricB
03-15-2021, 11:41 AM
"and doesn’t regret the decision he made in 2015."

I would say asking to be traded in 2017 points to regretting his 2015 decision to sign here but that is just the personal opinion of a logical human being on planet earth...

which was quickly squashed. Which a logical person would’ve taken into account on the whole but, that’s just the personal opinion of someone reading something by from the writings of a person going by “poop box”

poopbox
03-15-2021, 02:04 PM
which was quickly squashed. Which a logical person would’ve taken into account on the whole but, that’s just the personal opinion of someone reading something by from the writings of a person going by “poop box”

It wasn't squashed, it's just that nobody traded for him. Spurs fans try to live in some alternate reality where LMA and Pop hashed it out and everything was ok. The truth was that LMA wanted out and the spurs tried trading him but gasp, nobody wants a big who has exactly one high level nba talent as an isolation post scorer when teams are moving further away than post scorers.

EricB
03-25-2021, 01:16 AM
It wasn't squashed, it's just that nobody traded for him. Spurs fans try to live in some alternate reality where LMA and Pop hashed it out and everything was ok. The truth was that LMA wanted out and the spurs tried trading him but gasp, nobody wants a big who has exactly one high level nba talent as an isolation post scorer when teams are moving further away than post scorers.

that’s not accurate at all of what happened.