03-15-2021, 10:43 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grade-san-antonio-spurs-detroit-pistons-game-36/

Better, tbh :tu

ducks
03-15-2021, 10:53 PM
Could it be worse then against sixers ?

Dejounte
03-15-2021, 11:02 PM
With Keldon playing out of position and the coaching staff being aware of it, without him there we would have the worst PF rotation in the league. Hopefully, Luka's time is coming next season and/ or we bolster it by finding a big who can play both PF and C position so the Spurs can knock two birds with one stone. The hope is that our guards and wings can maintain this level of play against better competition so that there are less holes to fill.

Fusternino
03-15-2021, 11:07 PM
With Keldon playing out of position and the coaching staff being aware of it, without him there we would have the worst PF rotation in the league. Hopefully, Luka's time is coming next season and/ or we bolster it by finding a big who can play both PF and C position so the Spurs can knock two birds with one stone. The hope is that our guards and wings can maintain this level of play against better competition so that there are less holes to fill.

Cutting Metu really not looking good now.

Robz4000
03-15-2021, 11:16 PM
Didn't see any of the game so I'm going by the game grades :tu

BillMc
03-15-2021, 11:30 PM
Thanks OP

KobesAchilles
03-15-2021, 11:52 PM
Not gonna lie, I caught the game in the middle of the 3rd quarter where Poeltl had maybe the worst stretch of his entire career. He traveled, got stuffed in like the worst block I’ve ever seen in my life. I thought Grant was just gonna pick up the ball and throw it into the stands And 1 style after that. Then he turned the ball over again.

But I had seen Poeltl’s stats and the Piston announcers were talking about how much a monster he was and I just thought I must be jinxing the guy so I turned off the game for a bit :lol

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 12:38 AM
Is our Coach learning?

Never play Lyles again. Absolutely never fucking start him again.

Sugus
03-16-2021, 12:44 AM
I don't think I've ever heard Vassell being called "The Natural" anywhere except for timvp's articles, tbh

longhorn
03-16-2021, 12:48 AM

Yeah, we're truly regretting cutting Metu. Meanwhile he's tearing it up--averaging 6.5 minutes per game in 11 total appearances on the third-worst team in the West.

Really bad look for the Spurs letting go of such a valuable asset who would assuredly solve our issues. :rollin

heyheymymy
03-16-2021, 12:59 AM
Don't miss the 2nd Q this season! Spurs are +146 point differential in 2Q which is 1st in the league.

Gagnrath
03-16-2021, 01:56 AM
Yeah, we're truly regretting cutting Metu. Meanwhile he's tearing it up--averaging 6.5 minutes per game in 11 total appearances on the third-worst team in the West.

Really bad look for the Spurs letting go of such a valuable asset who would assuredly solve our issues. :rollin

Less that anyone thinks metu is a great player or the answer to the position long term than the Spurs have a power forward sized hole in the roster and recently cut a power forward sized body from the bench.

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 02:07 AM
Less that anyone thinks metu is a great player or the answer to the position long term than the Spurs have a power forward sized hole in the roster and recently cut a power forward sized body from the bench.

The power forward that's not currently being played is Luka Samanic and he's much better than Metu.

spurs10
03-16-2021, 02:10 AM
Good game! Thanks for write-up!

siraulo23
03-16-2021, 03:36 AM
Good win! next

Fireball
03-16-2021, 04:30 AM
put Devin in the SL instead of Keldon if there is not a strong PF in the opposing team that needs a big body on defense ... Devins three point shooting just looks much better than Johnsons

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 04:47 AM
https://twitter.com/spursDJLW/status/1371672120426643466?s=19

tbdog
03-16-2021, 05:20 AM
put Devin in the SL instead of Keldon if there is not a strong PF in the opposing team that needs a big body on defense ... Devins three point shooting just looks much better than Johnsons

Devin's doesn't have the body nor the rebounding ability. He is suited right now as a 2 or 3.

CGD
03-16-2021, 05:51 AM
This sentence pretty much sums up Derrick’s season so far: “ White never really got going.”

Still one of my favorite Spurs, just hope he can get something going soon.

Blackhaus
03-16-2021, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the grades op. Vassell looked great, does not play like a rookie and Eubanks is turning into a solid rotation big. I can’t really blame Luka for anything in the 3 min of complete garbage time he got but pop has to get him into the game during meaningful action. He seems so dejected when he’s trotted out during the victory cigar tour or the shameful Corner hiding after a loss in games that I think it’s going to turn him completely sour. When he was getting reg min his energy, defense and focus were so much better. Hope pop doesn’t ruin him, he has a spot on this team for reg rotation min right now.

dbestpro
03-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Pop to Luca is the confidence killer.

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 08:04 AM
I can only hope Pop doesn't want to hurt Lyle's fee-fees and it's a multi-step thing to get Luka into the lineup, first by dropping this nonsense of playing Lyles at all, then, like, losing Lyles at a bus stop and forgetting to answer when he calls, and then start playing Samanic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2021, 08:16 AM

What does it matter? Dumbass Pop wouldn't play him anyway.

We just watched Luka go from solid defensive big for the entire run up to the A-S break to garbage time refugee.

Classic, dumb, senile old Pop.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2021, 08:18 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grade-san-antonio-spurs-detroit-pistons-game-36/

Better, tbh :tu

Pop needs to be an F until he stops wrecking Luka's confidence with this insane benching while trotting out rotting corpses ahead of the kid.

John B
03-16-2021, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. It was a good win after a dismal lost. I Ewwbanks defense brought in the energy and set the defensive tone. I would give Ewwbanks better grades than Poeltl. Poeltl I think is still not playing as well as he was, not rolling hard to the basket, not getting enough rebounds and protecting the rims as he is capable of. I really liked Lonnie’s game last night. He was making the correct decision when to shoot and when to pass. I really hope it continues. I doubted him earlier in the season, but I would be the first one to admit Lonnie is starting to get it, starting to knock down the 3’s more consistently and better timing, not making silly fouls. I hope it continues. Vassell is another one that is super consistent. He’s really making a bid for good solid rotation minutes. Keldon seemed to got checked with people taking charges. He needs a mid-range or a euro step to not make it predictable. Spurs need his aggressiveness out there. Lastly, I don’t like that Luka is getting only mop up minutes. I think he deserved more than that especially when Lyles was able to start and playing against a team with no dominant big. Luka needs the minutes to continue his strides and he is a very big part of the future, even possibly 20/10 Aldridge replacement, who knows? Just the same, I think Luka needs more minutes out there.

rjv
03-16-2021, 10:06 AM
the less we see of lyles, the better, especially since he eats up other players' minutes. when poeltl rolled his ankle though, one should did realize just how thin we are up front.

Mugen
03-16-2021, 10:41 AM
Pop needs to be an F until he stops wrecking Luka's confidence with this insane benching while trotting out rotting corpses ahead of the kid.

It's crazy because Luka was actually a good defender during that stretch. It's also painfully obvious that he needs as many reps/mins as possible to get used to the big boy speed of the NBA. All that's happening is delaying his ability to contribute next season. Ridiculous.

NASpurs
03-16-2021, 10:47 AM
It's crazy because Luka was actually a good defender during that stretch. It's also painfully obvious that he needs as many reps/mins as possible to get used to the big boy speed of the NBA. All that's happening is delaying his ability to contribute next season. Ridiculous.

There’s really no excuse especially with the team lacking depth in the positions he plays. The “he’s not ready” excuse is also bullshit because we saw glimpses of what he can do before the AS break. It’s just the old man being stubborn.

itzsoweezee
03-16-2021, 10:50 AM
Don't miss the 2nd Q this season! Spurs are +146 point differential in 2Q which is 1st in the league.

As usual, the bench is the only thing keeping this team above water

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 11:15 AM
There’s really no excuse especially with the team lacking depth in the positions he plays. The “he’s not ready” excuse is also bullshit because we saw glimpses of what he can do before the AS break. It’s just the old man being stubborn.

I don't think that's the excuse. I think it's the "Rudy Gay is a seasoned veteran who has earned his dues and we're going to do right by him to make sure he earns his next contract" excuse, which is in line with the Spurs mantra, "we take care of people".

The obstacles in Luka's way to regular rotation minutes are:

1) Rudy Gay, as described above. If he's out or takes a step back, Luka gets his back-up minutes
2) DeMar. Keldon is forced to take minutes at the four. Without DeMar, Keldon slides down allowing potential for Luka to get starter four minutes down the road.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 11:49 AM
This convo reminds me of the moment I realized the humbling period was coming sooner rather than later. In the postgame interview after the Knicks win where Luka impressed locking up Julius Randle, Pop was asked a question about Luka and what adjustments he had made since early season and last year. Pop explains he is more confident catching and shooting, thinking less and letting the game come to him- stresses playing time and confidence as the two keys to building him up going forward.

The follow up to that question is the reporter asking if he "held his own" with Randle where Pop almost comes to and catches himself and says "Well we don't want him to think he's ready for the all star game or anything, bring him along slower". Pop is caught in a development conundrum, apparently. Just fucking play him, Pop. Damn.

https://streamable.com/q42xqy

rjv
03-16-2021, 11:54 AM
luka still has a lot to learn. last night, during an offensive set, luka ran over to the left corner, where vassell was already postioned and stood next to him. devon had to gesture for him to move away and luka just moved about two steps to the left, still leaving the left corner crowded. and the previous night, luka's defensive intensity in the 3rd quarter was non-existent. that being said, i do hope we get to see more luka this season-in meaningful minutes-but he'd have to somehow take some of gay's minutes for that to happen.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 11:58 AM
luka still has a lot to learn. last night, during an offensive set, luka ran over to the left corner, where vassell was already postioned and stood next to him. devon had to gesture for him to move away and luka just moved about two steps to the left, still leaving the left corner crowded. and the previous night, luka's defensive intensity in the 3rd quarter was non-existent. that being said, i do hope we get to see more luka this season-in meaningful minutes-but he'd have to somehow take some of gay's minutes for that to happen.

It's the old "he's playing this way because he hasn't gotten playing time" or "he's not getting play time because he's playing this way" conversation like Lonnie last year.

Truth to both, for sure. It's really difficult to come off the bench cold in what is essentially garbage time against a team that is rolling and feeling themselves and play with the same intensity you had coming off the bench in the first quarter of say the Knicks game for example. Definitely room to improve in his preparedness, but I'm not going to hold some awkward spacing and timing issues against him considering the context of his minutes against the sixers. Last night similar thing coming off the bench cold just in a win. Keldon is the starting 4 and has been the cause of turnovers in back to back games by standing in the wrong position on the perimeter. Patty passed to the corner when he was standing at the break against philly, last night Keldon was in the corner and Jakob passed to the break thinking that's where he'd be. It happens.

rjv
03-16-2021, 12:03 PM
It's the old "he's playing this way because he hasn't gotten playing time" or "he's not getting play time because he's playing this way" conversation like Lonnie last year.

Truth to both, for sure. It's really difficult to come off the bench cold in what is essentially garbage time against a team that is rolling and feeling themselves and play with the same intensity you had coming off the bench in the first quarter of say the Knicks game for example. Definitely room to improve in his preparedness, but I'm not going to hold some awkward spacing and timing issues against him considering the context of his minutes against the sixers.

i agree that intensity may wane depending on the circumstances but the spacing issue was against the pistons. as to the sixers' game, i'm not making a point on my behalf; i'm simply stating that in pop's world there is one area that he does not tolerate any lack of effort on, and that is on the defensive side of the ball, no matter the circumstances. whether that's pop being too critical is besides the point. luka has to understand this. but even then, pop is riding with gay for the moment and luka is going to be hard pressed to find PT as the current rotation stands. i just hope that luka at least moves in front of lyles for any valuable minutes.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 12:12 PM

Truth to both, for sure. It's really difficult to come off the bench cold in what is essentially garbage time against a team that is rolling and feeling themselves and play with the same intensity you had coming off the bench in the first quarter of say the Knicks game for example. Definitely room to improve in his preparedness, but I'm not going to hold some awkward spacing and timing issues against him considering the context of his minutes against the sixers. Last night similar thing coming off the bench cold just in a win. Keldon is the starting 4 and has been the cause of turnovers in back to back games by standing in the wrong position on the perimeter. Patty passed to the corner when he was standing at the break against philly, last night Keldon was in the corner and Jakob passed to the break thinking that's where he'd be. It happens.

If Lonnie is any indication for Luka's timeline, then he'll get all the playing time in the world next season, even when he's playing like shit.

The Truth #6
03-16-2021, 12:18 PM
What does it matter? Dumbass Pop wouldn't play him anyway.

We just watched Luka go from solid defensive big for the entire run up to the A-S break to garbage time refugee.

Classic, dumb, senile old Pop.

It's frustrating but obviously a trend.

I think Pop "over develops" young players, so to speak. Meaning, I think there is a time to withhold their minutes to demand certain things. But once the player turns the corner, you don't continue to bench them. It confuses the player (and the fanbase, tbh). I think the same situation occurred with Lonnie. Benched him and scolded him early on—I was ok with that. But at a certain you have to reward the player with minutes when he does what you are asking him to do. Now, Pop doesn't even seem to be coaching Lonnie while he's on the court.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 12:22 PM
Dejounte on IG:

"Shout-out to my boy, Tre Jones! I want to see all my dawgs grow and flourish!"

CMe-ec1j13B

Mr. Body
03-16-2021, 12:31 PM
Jones will move into Mills' slot whenever Mills retires or leaves. Obviously a different skill set.

rjv
03-16-2021, 12:41 PM

I think Pop "over develops" young players, so to speak. Meaning, I think there is a time to withhold their minutes to demand certain things. But once the player turns the corner, you don't continue to bench them. It confuses the player (and the fanbase, tbh). I think the same situation occurred with Lonnie. Benched him and scolded him early on—I was ok with that. But at a certain you have to reward the player with minutes when he does what you are asking him to do. Now, Pop doesn't even seem to be coaching Lonnie while he's on the court.

pop is old school. no pun intended. he inherited this trait from Larry Brown, who was notorious for keeping players in the dog house.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 12:52 PM

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1371664894978879488?s=19

A person who does things they didn't normally do before is a sign that there was an influential figure involved. It may be that things we don't see on the court happen off the court.

Seventyniner
03-16-2021, 01:02 PM
Damn, Lonnie's shoulders look like prime Dwight Howard's in that picture. I swear he doesn't look anywhere near that jacked on the court.

Sugus
03-16-2021, 01:11 PM
Damn, Lonnie's shoulders look like prime Dwight Howard's in that picture. I swear he doesn't look anywhere near that jacked on the court.

He was always well-built, but this offseason he grew some insane mass. It's been a personal theory of mine that adding so much muscle so quickly, kind of displaced his game a bit, which explains his early shooting woes in the season. Now, he's been shooting considerably better (I haven't checked month-to-month percentages, just my eye test, would be nice to see some stats on this though) and seems to be "growing into" his body. People forget he's really young still... Manu was 3 years older as a rookie. Apples to oranges, I know, I don't have those expectations for Lonnie, but it's still worth mentioning.

I'm all alone on Lonnie Island at the moment, but ST will catch on soon enough. He's a year away.

John B
03-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Dejounte on IG:

"Shout-out to my boy, Tre Jones! I want to see all my dawgs grow and flourish!"

CMe-ec1j13B

Tre is a solid solid backup PG with the poise and defensive mentality. Such a great pick-up for Devin and Tre, really solid players and great characters.

rjv
03-16-2021, 01:14 PM
He was always well-built, but this offseason he grew some insane mass. It's been a personal theory of mine that adding so much muscle so quickly, kind of displaced his game a bit, which explains his early shooting woes in the season. Now, he's been shooting considerably better (I haven't checked month-to-month percentages, just my eye test, would be nice to see some stats on this though) and seems to be "growing into" his body. People forget he's really young still... Manu was 3 years older as a rookie. Apples to oranges, I know, I don't have those expectations for Lonnie, but it's still worth mentioning.

I'm all alone on Lonnie Island at the moment, but ST will catch on soon enough. He's a year away.

not at all. i've been hoping for quite some time to see walker back in the starting lineup and was furious to see lyles getting to start instead. i still think lonnie has a great deal of potential and can be a big threat offensively. and i am not keen on any trade scenarios that would involve shipping him out.

John B
03-16-2021, 01:17 PM

A person who does things they didn't normally do before is a sign that there was an influential figure involved. It may be that things we don't see on the court happen off the court.

Lonnie had a great game last night, decision making wise. He was passing and calling his own numbers and not committing ticky-tack fouls. I always see him asking questions. I think the game is slowing down on him. I was a big fan, then I got frustrated with his deferring, but Lonnie is winning me back. Lonnie, Luka, and Vassell improving next year would be great.

Sugus
03-16-2021, 01:18 PM
This convo reminds me of the moment I realized the humbling period was coming sooner rather than later. In the postgame interview after the Knicks win where Luka impressed locking up Julius Randle, Pop was asked a question about Luka and what adjustments he had made since early season and last year. Pop explains he is more confident catching and shooting, thinking less and letting the game come to him- stresses playing time and confidence as the two keys to building him up going forward.

The follow up to that question is the reporter asking if he "held his own" with Randle where Pop almost comes to and catches himself and says "Well we don't want him to think he's ready for the all star game or anything, bring him along slower". Pop is caught in a development conundrum, apparently. Just fucking play him, Pop. Damn.

https://streamable.com/q42xqy

Lmfao that's a great interview in retrospect. Pop really is ruthless in his development... How long until he realizes putting players in the doghouse following good performances isn't going to make them better? Like seriously, I can't believe he looks at Lonnie playing now and goes "yeah, that's exactly the strategy I should use on Luka as well". He's gonna fuck up another promising prospect unless Luka suddenly breaks out at a level where you can't bench him - and even then, I wouldn't put it past current Pop, tbh.

Sugus
03-16-2021, 01:21 PM
not at all. i've been hoping for quite some time to see walker back in the starting lineup and was furious to see lyles getting to start instead. i still think lonnie has a great deal of potential and can be a big threat offensively. and i am not keen on any trade scenarios that would involve shipping him out.

:danceclub :chestbump

I bring the food, you get the beer, let's get this lol. I'm also not keen on trading him at all, people just jump the gun as usual hoping for immediate success. Then those same people trash the FO for "letting go of good players!!" like they didn't want to all along. Cheers.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 01:42 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1371891516755619844?s=19

The forgotten man, Q, has big dreams of cracking the rotation.

The question is - how?

Is someone on the coaching staff giving him this confidence? If so, why?

John B
03-16-2021, 01:51 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1371891516755619844?s=19

The forgotten man, Q, has big dreams of cracking the rotation.

The question is - how?

Is someone on the coaching staff giving him this confidence? If so, why?

I think Tre is already ahead of Q in the pecking order :lmao

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 02:02 PM
I think Tre is already ahead of Q in the pecking order :lmao

I mean, Q can play SG too. It's the position he played in Austin - there was always a lead guard he played with.

But the question remains as to how? Unless Lonnie goes, there's no minutes available for this guy to be a permanent fixture.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 02:13 PM
I mean, Q can play SG too. It's the position he played in Austin - there was always a lead guard he played with.

But the question remains as to how? Unless Lonnie goes, there's no minutes available for this guy to be a permanent fixture.

he gone. and i definitely dont mean lonnie.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 02:17 PM
he gone. and i definitely dont mean lonnie.

One thing for certain is that the Spurs seemed to have planned ahead in regards to guard depth. If Lonnie had not worked out (in fact, that's still up in the air) in terms of contract negotiations or simply that if he was needed to be included in a trade they like, then Q would be right there to fill his spot in a very cost effective move. It's not like it's a a tall order for Q to replace Lonnie, at least currently. It's Lonnie's perceived ceiling that Q will never meet, but it's Lonnie's current production that Q can.

(In the same manner the Spurs planned for Mills' departure by drafting Tre)

Seventyniner
03-16-2021, 02:20 PM

Here's a link to Lonnie's splits this season.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walkelo01/splits/2021

The strange one to me is that Lonnie shoots .295 from three in wins and .427 in losses, on roughly equal attempts per game.

John B
03-16-2021, 03:21 PM
One thing for certain is that the Spurs seemed to have planned ahead in regards to guard depth. If Lonnie had not worked out (in fact, that's still up in the air) in terms of contract negotiations or simply that if he was needed to be included in a trade they like, then Q would be right there to fill his spot in a very cost effective move. It's not like it's a a tall order for Q to replace Lonnie, at least currently. It's Lonnie's perceived ceiling that Q will never meet, but it's Lonnie's current production that Q can.

Same with Gay/Aldridge with Luka. Or Demar with Devin. PATFO really did solid with their picks.

But Tre and Devin are just superb picks. They shouldn't be even cracking the rotation until next year, well Devin is 11th, but still showing he could be good enough to start.

The Truth #6
03-16-2021, 04:41 PM

And hopefully that is exactly the case. Lonnie could really make a leap next year.

duncan2150
03-16-2021, 05:15 PM

Q for Lonnie is this serious ? imo there is a world between them.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 05:31 PM
Q for Lonnie is this serious ? imo there is a world between them.

His overall production this year. Yes, I'm serious. There's been so many games where he provided nothing on the court. It won't be hard to replace that version of Lonnie.

duncan2150
03-16-2021, 05:40 PM
His overall production this year. Yes, I'm serious. There's been so many games where he provided nothing on the court. It won't be hard to replace that version of Lonnie.

there is two things for me, the first is that he is better during last games and the second is that his ceilling is for sure way higher than Q celling. It's not just about potential, there are not same kind of player.

If lonnie is gone, you need a way better player than Q, a guy like Vassell for example but not Q.

And last it's his second year of action, maybe the first where he is playing some major minutes, let the guy progress and he will be something.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 05:46 PM
there is two things for me, the first is that he is better during last games and the second is that his ceilling is for sure way higher than Q celling. It's not just about potential, there are not same kind of player.

If lonnie is gone, you need a way better player than Q, a guy like Vassell for example but not Q.

And last it's his second year of action, maybe the first where he is playing some major minutes, let the guy progress and he will be something.

Well, yeah. That's what I said bro. "Q won't meet Lonnie's perceived potential" in the original post. And my whole premise centers on the idea that Vassell takes all the minutes and Lonnie/Q would be the fourth guard behind Vassell, White, Murray.

Slippy
03-16-2021, 06:53 PM
Lonnie had a great game last night, decision making wise. He was passing and calling his own numbers and not committing ticky-tack fouls. I always see him asking questions. I think the game is slowing down on him. I was a big fan, then I got frustrated with his deferring, but Lonnie is winning me back. Lonnie, Luka, and Vassell improving next year would be great.

He looking comfortable. Knows when to slow it down, read what the defence is giving. Big difference from 2weeks
ago when i complained about the overpassing.

Coming off the bench , seemed to kickstart that trend but running plays for him certainly helps. Glad to see. Need to see 4 full quarters

BackHome
03-16-2021, 07:46 PM
Yeah I agree with Dejounte if Walker was a bust you would have Q maybe get his minutes but like you said definitely more upside with Walker. I am still trying to stay away from busting on Walker as he was drafted with the word "Potential" and I understand those picks take more time to develop. Also, DJ ability to turn the corner when everyone was ready to ditch him shows we need to be a little more patient with draft picks.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 07:54 PM
Yeah I agree with Dejounte if Walker was a bust you would have Q maybe get his minutes but like you said definitely more upside with Walker. I am still trying to stay away from busting on Walker as he was drafted with the word "Potential" and I understand those picks take more time to develop. Also, DJ ability to turn the corner when everyone was ready to ditch him shows we need to be a little more patient with draft picks.

Yeah, and it really doesn't hinge on just Walker being a bust either. If you could get a really important piece by HAVING to trade Lonnie, then you can live with the result of Lonnie living up to his potential on another team.

For example, we trade Lonnie for Player X
Q takes Lonnie's current role (4th or 5th guard)
Player X does great for the Spurs
Lonnie explodes on another team

You live with that result because
Q + Player X > Lonnie
(Provided Lonnie's explosion isn't a top 10 historical NBA player)

These are all calculated risks.
You lose and you gain.

Sugus
03-16-2021, 08:44 PM
Here's a link to Lonnie's splits this season.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walkelo01/splits/2021

The strange one to me is that Lonnie shoots .295 from three in wins and .427 in losses, on roughly equal attempts per game.

Interesting stat to point out, but right now, I'm not putting any weight on it. Lonnie played a LOT of games earlier in the season with an injury in his shooting hand (he was out a couple of games IIRC, and when he did come back, played multiple games with a wrapped up hand, which also can't be good for shooting, and coincided with a particularly bad shooting period). If that stat carries on into next season, it'd definitely be worrisome, something like DeMar's on/off numbers in regards to the rest of the team. But right now, and especially given the teams' fluctuations throughout the year and Lonnie's change in role multiple times, there's just too much noise to draw conclusions.

I seem to read that the stats support that he's been shooting better lately. Hopefully he can keep it up - having a solid 3pt shot will guarantee him a spot in the rotation and maybe SL, while he works on the rest of his game.

Seventyniner
03-16-2021, 08:58 PM
Interesting stat to point out, but right now, I'm not putting any weight on it. Lonnie played a LOT of games earlier in the season with an injury in his shooting hand (he was out a couple of games IIRC, and when he did come back, played multiple games with a wrapped up hand, which also can't be good for shooting, and coincided with a particularly bad shooting period). If that stat carries on into next season, it'd definitely be worrisome, something like DeMar's on/off numbers in regards to the rest of the team. But right now, and especially given the teams' fluctuations throughout the year and Lonnie's change in role multiple times, there's just too much noise to draw conclusions.

I seem to read that the stats support that he's been shooting better lately. Hopefully he can keep it up - having a solid 3pt shot will guarantee him a spot in the rotation and maybe SL, while he works on the rest of his game.

Yeah, I just thought the stat was weird, not indicative of anything. Players will generally have better shooting splits in wins than losses so that one stuck out to me.

I do appreciate what you, Dejounte, and others bring to the table here. Your point about Lonnie's injury is something I didn't know; I watch the games but I usually pay more attention to stats, which need context like you provided. I try not to post any hot takes because I'm just plain too uninformed to really back them up, and I'm not usually the type to say spicy stuff with nothing to back it up.

Sugus
03-16-2021, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I just thought the stat was weird, not indicative of anything. Players will generally have better shooting splits in wins than losses so that one stuck out to me.

I do appreciate what you, Dejounte, and others bring to the table here. Your point about Lonnie's injury is something I didn't know; I watch the games but I usually pay more attention to stats, which need context like you provided. I try not to post any hot takes because I'm just plain too uninformed to really back them up, and I'm not usually the type to say spicy stuff with nothing to back it up.

Thanks, man, always good to see people appreciate the work. To be fair, Dejounte's the far better poster, he really puts a lot more thought into roster construction (and a crazy level of analysis on the financials of things, I couldn't begin to make some of the quality threads he's put on here). Like or hate the takes, you gotta appreciate the hard work... Not everyone does. But I'll gladly chime in and add context where I can, since most people are overly fixated on stats (or the complete opposite, completely disregarding stats, as if most of them weren't literal recollections of stuff that's already happening on the court).

I've been talking about Lonnie a lot lately, since everyone's unfairly out for his head after an up-and-down season. If you have to take anything away, take this: he's a year away, for sure. The biggest piece of context that nobody ever talks about in regards to this season, is just how short last off-season was. Less than 6 weeks if I'm not mistaken, and not even "normal" off-weeks, but COVID protocol-filled ones. Most players were hindered in their training and game-development routines, and it was no surprise to me to see multiple players coming in out of shape or starting off slowly (ahem, LMA and Poeltl), and most players adding little of note to their games (Keldon is actually a good example of this, Lonnie as well). Just little time to train. I expect both of them to make a much bigger jump this off-season, given their high work ethics.

lefty
03-17-2021, 12:12 AM
Timvp and this board a few weeks ago : “Lyles is a starter”

:lmao

Fireball
03-17-2021, 05:00 AM
Devin's doesn't have the body nor the rebounding ability. He is suited right now as a 2 or 3.

sadly cannot disagree here ...

Gagnrath
03-20-2021, 06:37 PM
The power forward that's not currently being played is Luka Samanic and he's much better than Metu.

Would like to see more Luka as well. Not sure why pop isn't giving him more burn he seems pretty decent this year when he gets minutes, also when developing players if they get some burn you can use it to provide coaching opportunities. Even so other than Lyles, who is about to burn out if the league as a lot of missed potential, and Luka they don't have another 4 on the roster. (Gay is a 2/3 who is his old age post injury isoved down a slot and a half and Keldon is a 3 who is filling in cause they are thin at that spot