PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie and dunking

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 09:45 AM
I get it if I'm bashed for this post... But it's something that's has been nagging me and I wanna get it off my chest and see if anyone else sees it the same way I do...

Lonnie early on used to dunk everything and was really aggressive...Nowadays out of every spur, i think he has the most missed layups...he would either shy away from contact, or even worse (and the main reason I'm writing) he would soar HIGH for a dunk, just to switch into some finesse layup that almost always misses

Now it seems like if he isn't completely wide open, he won't dunk it...why is that?

I remember YEARS ago we used to joke about Pop finding out certain players are athletes and shunning them...or pulling guys out the game for dunking...not sure if u all remember but it was a running joke on here for a long time...even my beloved Duncan had some infuriating moments where he could easily dunk and went for a layup that missed (I think the worse was that one against Dallas in the playoffs where we went into OT and lost)

So I now begin to seriously wonder if Pop has scolded Lonnie in practice saying something like "what did you get from that dunk? 2 points is two points" and scorned/mocked dunking

Sounds insane, right? Well there ARE coaches like that... I went to a D2 school and there was a coach who coached in europe and recruited a lot of european players (sound familiar?) And I used to attend some practices because I love basketball and I was friends with the players... He used to love the finesse game and would talk down on dunking when you can make an easy layup instead...

Needless to say the team was always dominated by teams that had more americans and more black players (long story short, he eventually started to recruit americans and black players [I separate black player because not all the black players were american] onto the team and the team got pretty good...and yes, they started dunking anytime they got the chance...lol)...

Sorry my post was so long... But if this is the case, that's bothersome... We have always had the reputation of being soft, and while I know that wasn't true, I think what helped that perception was us going up soft to the rim at times... Things like that stick out... And if lonnie wants to not only shed the soft label, but actually be more efficient, he would dunk the ball... You can't even make the argument that he is saving his knees because he is going just as high for his missed layups as he would for his dunks

Trill Clinton
03-16-2021, 09:54 AM
Lonnie always went up for a dunk only to switch it to a soft ass layup at the last second. Its part of his game that I hate. Pop gets pissed every time he has a clean dunk and switches to a finger roll brick so I doubt its Pop being against his players passing up high percentage shots. Its a Lonnie problem and he better fix that shit.

Dejounte
03-16-2021, 09:55 AM
This is a reach. Lonnie was all about finesse, acrobatic layups before he came onto the Spurs.

His dad was asked on social media why his son attacks the basket this way (and why he avoids physical contact).

His response? "That's the way I taught him."

Leetonidas
03-16-2021, 10:00 AM
when did Lonnie used to "dunk everything?" because my memory is that he never dunks, always tried to do some badass dunk and rarely ever actually made them, and is now hunting for layups when he should be dunking

seriously, your hate for Pop and the coaching stuff is getting a bit ridiculous. you're going to blame Pop because Lonnie doesn't dunk? GMAFB

exstatic
03-16-2021, 10:02 AM
He needs to initiate contact in the paint. This is a case when his first step and burst works against him. He’s going too fast when he gets to the rim, and the ball comes off the glass too hard. If you initiate contact, you have a good chance of getting a foul, and a better shot at finishing, because that bump slows you down, and softens your shot off the glass.

Trill Clinton
03-16-2021, 10:06 AM
Why didn't he finish this dunk?!https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mindblown.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70khKN4Dd3E

cd98
03-16-2021, 10:08 AM
Remember when Pop used to design an alley oop play for Kawhi? Wonder why they don’t have one for any player on this roster full of athletes.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 10:09 AM
It’s a yips thing

Any old conventional wisdom that used to exist about laying it up over dunking has long been dead and despite pops stubbornness in certain respects, I don’t see him hanging on to that.

I don’t know what it’s like to drive full speed in an nba game and have my head be at the rim but he is probably psyching himself out and overthinking it. Maybe he’s scared of heights.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Remember when Pop used to design an alley oop play for Kawhi? Wonder why they don’t have one for any player on this roster full of athletes.

They called THAT PLAY for Lonnie out of a time out last night and it was awesome! Derrick just under threw the lob and it got picked off.

exstatic
03-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Why didn't he finish this dunk?!https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mindblown.png

:lol. That’s a horrible example. Lyles CLEARLY fouls him, stopping his momentum with a hand to his body. Had he attempted to complete the dunk, it would have been a clank off the front of the rim.

Trill Clinton
03-16-2021, 10:22 AM
:lol. That’s a horrible example. Lyles CLEARLY fouls him, stopping his momentum with a hand to his body. Had he attempted to complete the dunk, it would have been a clank off the front of the rim.

Horrible? Lyles barely grazed him lol. People have gotten dunked on with waaaaay more contact than that. Again proving my point that its a Lonnie problem. He has to have a perfect lane, no contact, no one around him to finish dunks/layups.

Dex
03-16-2021, 10:31 AM

Spurs ran that play well before Kawhi, but haven't seen it busted out in a while. First time I recall seeing it was when RJ was the dunker.

They usually had Duncan or Diaw throwing the lob, and maybe they don't feel our current bigs are capable of the pass.

Or maybe Pop is just saving it for the playoffs.

PrimeMinister
03-16-2021, 10:43 AM
Earlier I said it was out of a timeout- they actually called a set lob play for Lonnie Walker to start the third quarter of last nights game. Here it is:

https://streamable.com/81prtj

duncan2150
03-16-2021, 10:48 AM
I will say something simple, did people remember how dejounte finish near the rim his first years ? he was poor finishing at the rim and that's something to learn.

I saw some better things from lonnie with finishing but that's still a work in progress. Imo next year it will different and it's already better.

Seventyniner
03-16-2021, 10:51 AM

At least post the good version.

DOAGFN53ha0

Dex
03-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Earlier I said it was out of a timeout- they actually called a set lob play for Lonnie Walker to start the third quarter of last nights game. Here it is:

https://streamable.com/81prtj

Good eye...looks like the same set but the lob wasn't well thrown by White, and Plumlee read it well.

YGjEzR93oqw

cd98
03-16-2021, 10:55 AM
They called THAT PLAY for Lonnie out of a time out last night and it was awesome! Derrick just under threw the lob and it got picked off.

Dang bc I missed the game last night.

cd98
03-16-2021, 10:56 AM
I will say something simple, did people remember how dejounte finish near the rim his first years ? he was poor finishing at the rim and that's something to learn.

I saw some better things from lonnie with finishing but that's still a work in progress. Imo next year it will different and it's already better.

I remember he got blocked all the time. I have the same hope for Walker.

KobesAchilles
03-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Idk if it is a Pop thing. But I remember Lonnie going up strong a lot and missing a lot of dunks over people. He has all the tools but it just seems like he can’t finish over people. It’s crazy too bc he gets up so high but he needs to learn to take contact and get to the line.

spurraider21
03-16-2021, 11:30 AM
used to be the RJ lob

The Truth #6
03-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Avoiding contact is his main weakness as a player. That, and no longer trying to be a dogged defender. When Pop was on his ass it was to defend iirc, and now he seems to just let him play during the game. I wonder if there is a middle approach that isn’t being tried. Hard to say.

SpurPadre
03-16-2021, 11:53 AM
This is all on Lonnie but let's make no mistake, it's no secret that Pop HATES dunking and always has, maybe even more than three point shots.

GAustex
03-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Lonnie needs to dunk in dudes faces. He has the ability to fly and throw it down. He needs to do it.
He may be afraid of getting under cut and hurt though. I know I would. If I could fly like Lonnie

stephen jackson
03-16-2021, 09:15 PM
Can’t believe lyles is on this team

rankingtear
03-16-2021, 09:26 PM

Just saw one last game.

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 09:53 PM
This is a reach. Lonnie was all about finesse, acrobatic layups before he came onto the Spurs.

His dad was asked on social media why his son attacks the basket this way (and why he avoids physical contact).

O wow...so he was raised this way...smh

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 09:53 PM
Lonnie always went up for a dunk only to switch it to a soft ass layup at the last second. Its part of his game that I hate. Pop gets pissed every time he has a clean dunk and switches to a finger roll brick so I doubt its Pop being against his players passing up high percentage shots. Its a Lonnie problem and he better fix that shit.

U may be right...sigh

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 09:55 PM
when did Lonnie used to "dunk everything?" because my memory is that he never dunks, always tried to do some badass dunk and rarely ever actually made them, and is now hunting for layups when he should be dunking

seriously, your hate for Pop and the coaching stuff is getting a bit ridiculous. you're going to blame Pop because Lonnie doesn't dunk? GMAFB

I don't hate Pop...I've been critical of him lately, but Pop is the GOAT imo...why do ppl get so caught up in sports that criticism is hate? We even criticize ppl we love...y wouldn't we do so for sports figures? My analysis may be wrong to you, but that doesn't make it hate...

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 09:57 PM

This is heartbreaking

duncan2k5
03-16-2021, 09:59 PM
Lonnie needs to dunk in dudes faces. He has the ability to fly and throw it down. He needs to do it.
He may be afraid of getting under cut and hurt though. I know I would. If I could fly like Lonnie

This can't be it because he jumps just as high for his layups

GAustex
03-16-2021, 10:33 PM
This can't be it because he jumps just as high for his layups
I do not get it. The kind of satisfying anger of throwing it down (like DDR does) has to feel good and can be worth more that a hoop for momentum and confidence. I just cannot fathom not doing it if you have a good chance at success, which he seems to have a lot.

Maybe Pop has talked him out of it-that would be an explanation...

paperboy77
03-16-2021, 11:23 PM
Should only be talking about Jakob and his sissified approach to dunking.

jbspurs
03-17-2021, 02:03 AM
He needs to initiate contact in the paint. This is a case when his first step and burst works against him. He’s going too fast when he gets to the rim, and the ball comes off the glass too hard. If you initiate contact, you have a good chance of getting a foul, and a better shot at finishing, because that bump slows you down, and softens your shot off the glass.

Yes, He's going too fast most of the times. He just need to learn to slow down rigth before jumping. Westbrook was the same at the beginning of his career.

XDT76
03-17-2021, 04:55 AM

This is the biggest impression I have of Lonnie, thus anyone who says PATFO causes him not to dunk is BS. Pop even used to get Tony to setup RJ alley hoop to get him going. My opinion is that Lonnie always misjudge the distance and realise too late that he is a bit short for the dunk, or he is closing too fast to the rim for him to feel comfortable to dunk.

duncan2k5
03-17-2021, 05:44 AM
This is the biggest impression I have of Lonnie, thus anyone who says PATFO causes him not to dunk is BS. Pop even used to get Tony to setup RJ alley hoop to get him going. My opinion is that Lonnie always misjudge the distance and realise too late that he is a bit short for the dunk, or he is closing too fast to the rim for him to feel comfortable to dunk.

RJ was a vet...pop usually doesn't try to put vets thru his indoctrination...they are who they are

XDT76
03-17-2021, 06:14 AM
RJ was a vet...pop usually doesn't try to put vets thru his indoctrination...they are who they are

Okay, then Corey dunk over Ibaka, White dunk over Millsap, KJ and even Vassell dunk twice against Detroit what's the narrative on these then? Pop has his weakness like his stubbornness over the rotation but saying he forbids his players dunking is really BS. Name some memorial dunk that Lonnie did before he was "destroyed" by Pop.

duncan2k5
03-17-2021, 06:48 AM
Okay, then Corey dunk over Ibaka, White dunk over Millsap, KJ and even Vassell dunk twice against Detroit what's the narrative on these then? Pop has his weakness like his stubbornness over the rotation but saying he forbids his players dunking is really BS. Name some memorial dunk that Lonnie did before he was "destroyed" by Pop.

I never said he forbids it...I think he has the personality where he may mock it in practice and say 2 points is 2 points...let's not act like the running joke of pop pulling a player for dunking or showing emotion just popped up out of nowhere... It's something ppl have been noticing... I didn't just come up with the concept today

rankingtear
03-17-2021, 07:01 AM
I never said he forbids it...I think he has the personality where he may mock it in practice and say 2 points is 2 points...let's not act like the running joke of pop pulling a player for dunking or showing emotion just popped up out of nowhere... It's something ppl have been noticing... I didn't just come up with the concept today

Maybe before but DJ even gets away with his signature break away dunk and then stare down at the ball.

XDT76
03-17-2021, 07:29 AM

Did he pull KJ in the Utah game with the 2 handed dunk and war cry? Or DjM against the Hawks?

Dejounte
03-17-2021, 08:32 AM

Did he pull KJ in the Utah game with the 2 handed dunk and war cry? Or DjM against the Hawks?

Yeah seriously, Keldon has been dunking all season and going fucking nuts and screaming.

Ice009
03-17-2021, 08:39 AM

Why would his dad teach him to play that way? Did his dad give a reason?

Dejounte
03-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Why would his dad teach him to play that way? Did his dad give a reason?

Nothing else was said past that.

His dad wasn't a coach or a basketball mind so he probably thought Dwyane Wade was cool and he wanted his son to be just like him. When you pull up highlights for Wade on youtube, you'll see all kinds of acrobatic layups, which look like they all avoid physical contact.

I don't know why he did it but it sucks that he did.

The Truth #6
03-17-2021, 09:10 AM
Could be that dad is just sticking up for his son.

Dex
03-17-2021, 09:21 AM
Nothing else was said past that.

His dad wasn't a coach or a basketball mind so he probably thought Dwyane Wade was cool and he wanted his son to be just like him. When you pull up highlights for Wade on youtube, you'll see all kinds of acrobatic layups, which look like they all avoid physical contact.

I don't know why he did it but it sucks that he did.

I mean, constantly jumping into people and accepting contact takes a toll on the body, and Lonnie has already been through one meniscus surgery. I suspect there is some fear factor there.

Guys like KJ (Big Body) have the weight to try to plow through people, but Lonnie doesn't seem to be built the same way (nor does he have the same mentality). At a certain point, I think that is a style of play that is hard to teach....you either grew up playing that way, or you didn't.

rankingtear
03-17-2021, 09:30 AM
I mean, constantly jumping into people and accepting contact takes a toll on the body, and Lonnie has already been through one meniscus surgery. I suspect there is some fear factor there.

Guys like KJ (Big Body) have the weight to try to plow through people, but Lonnie doesn't seem to be built the same way (nor does he have the same mentality). At a certain point, I think that is a style of play that is hard to teach....you either grew up playing that way, or you didn't.

There is also a difference with a 1 foot dunker and a 2 foot , Keldon is the latter allowing him to absorb contact.