PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Outbreak Discussion Thread

Mark Celibate
03-16-2021, 05:20 PM
Tomorrow is looking like the annual "High Risk" day for the Southern US. My expert analysis based off of other expert analysis says that this could be significant imho

Millennial_Messiah
03-16-2021, 05:50 PM
Well I as a serial jr meteorologist predicted this way back since November or so. A very strong La Niņa always leads to a very strong tornado season the following year. The last La Niņa this strong was in 2010-2011, and 2011 ended up being the most active tornado season in US recorded history since 1974.

benefactor
03-16-2021, 09:34 PM
This year is the tenth anniversary of the April Super Outbreak. One of the most volatile atmospheric events of the modern era.

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/2016-04-23-april-2011-superoutbreak-tornadoes

Millennial_Messiah
03-16-2021, 09:49 PM
This year is the tenth anniversary of the April Super Outbreak. One of the most volatile atmospheric events of the modern era.

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/2016-04-23-april-2011-superoutbreak-tornadoes
And yet it was arguably the driest April ever in San Antonio. Dry as a fuckin' bone. I remember it well. 10th grade. The lawn didn't even get tall enough to need mowing until late May that year.

GAustex
03-16-2021, 10:46 PM
May of 1997 the Jarrell tornado was unreal. It tracked from NE to SW.
The sky turned a sick green. I watched it all from north Austin.
In Jarrell whole hoods were stripped to the foundation and there were no trees. Wicked

Mark Celibate
03-16-2021, 11:01 PM

It's not a stretch to say that we'll probably never see a day like this again literally ever.

Just on one day, you had three EF-5 tornadoes in which you could make a case for any of them being the strongest ever. The Philadelphia, Smithville, and the Phil Campbell tornadoes would stack up against any of the most notable ones in recorded history. And then you have the "forgotten" F5 tornado that hit Rainsville, and probably a few more that were EF-4 but could've been classified EF-5.

I remember some meteoroligst said on the Birmingham sounding for that day, 98% of the 60-ish severe weather parameters were completely maxed out that day...

Mark Celibate
03-16-2021, 11:03 PM
May of 1997 the Jarrell tornado was unreal. It tracked from NE to SW.
The sky turned a sick green. I watched it all from north Austin.
In Jarrell whole hoods were stripped to the foundation and there were no trees. Wicked

Yeah, the Jarrell tornado is in a class of its own in terms of damage. Reduced an entire subdivision to nothing but concrete slab, literally killing everyone above ground

benefactor
03-16-2021, 11:13 PM
It's not a stretch to say that we'll probably never see a day like this again literally ever.

Just on one day, you had three EF-5 tornadoes in which you could make a case for any of them being the strongest ever. The Philadelphia, Smithville, and the Phil Campbell tornadoes would stack up against any of the most notable ones in recorded history. And then you have the "forgotten" F5 tornado that hit Rainsville, and probably a few more that were EF-4 but could've been classified EF-5.

I remember some meteoroligst said on the Birmingham sounding for that day, 98% of the 60-ish severe weather parameters were completely maxed out that day...
Single events tend to be more memorable like the Moore EF-5, Joplin, Jarrell etc...but man looking at all the variables involved in that 72 hours it was just incredible. That quote that all those paths from all those tornadoes could have stretched from Maine to San Francisco...Jesus. The craziest thing is it actually could have been worse the way that cauldron in the sky was bubbling.

benefactor
03-16-2021, 11:23 PM
"Northeast of Philadelphia, Mississippi, a swath of ground was scoured out to a depth of two feet, in some places. The tornado even ripped sections of asphalt from a road."

Lol...fuck.

GAustex
03-16-2021, 11:52 PM
Last 1/2 hour out by San Anglo just popped up huge.
Might get rough tonight

Spurtacular
03-17-2021, 12:02 AM
Glad I don't have to worry about those gnarly twisters, tbh.

Mark Celibate
03-17-2021, 07:49 AM
welp....today is now a confirmed "High Risk" day, first one issued in two years. robinlopez.gif

baseline bum
03-17-2021, 08:14 AM
Tornadoes are scary as hell. Had a really weak one go over my house in the 90s and it was the freakiest feeling to feel all the air being sucked out of the rooms and into the hallway and up through the attic, thought I was going to die in that moment as I didn't know it was weak. It had just thrown a ton of hail and smashed out a bedroom window immediately before. Luckily all it did other than take out that window was rip a lot of shingles off my roof, but it knocked a tree into a neighbor's house a couple of doors down. Can't imagine what it's like to actually be in a major tornado.

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 08:48 AM
welp....today is now a confirmed "High Risk" day, first one issued in two years. robinlopez.gif

Fortunately it's east of Texas now. It's going to hit the shitty southern states like LA/AR/MS/AL.

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 08:51 AM
Glad I don't have to worry about those gnarly twisters, tbh.

But tornadoes are only a serious threat about 3 months out of the year (early March-early June) while you've got to worry about random unpredictable earthquakes striking at any old time, a 24/7/365 reality, including in the middle of the night when you and everyone else are asleep and... BAM! CRACK! 9.3 quake sending you deep headfirst into the earth into oblivion.

Mark Celibate
03-17-2021, 09:07 AM
Tornadoes are scary as hell. Had a really weak one go over my house in the 90s and it was the freakiest feeling to feel all the air being sucked out of the rooms and into the hallway and up through the attic, thought I was going to die in that moment as I didn't know it was weak. It had just thrown a ton of hail and smashed out a bedroom window immediately before. Luckily all it did other than take out that window was rip a lot of shingles off my roof, but it knocked a tree into a neighbor's house a couple of doors down. Can't imagine what it's like to actually be in a major tornado.

This video is probably as realistic as it gets. Dude inexplicably sits there and films a monster tornado heading right toward him and actually captures the footage as it directly hits and tears up everything in front of him. Somehow he actually survives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0c27Twu__o

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 09:59 AM
This video is probably as realistic as it gets. Dude inexplicably sits there and films a monster tornado heading right toward him and actually captures the footage as it directly hits and tears up everything in front of him. Somehow he actually survives

did he have a Blue Shed?

Fat Brandon Bass
03-17-2021, 10:15 AM
After looking at the models and undergoing rigorous research, my expert analysis leads me to believe that anybody in the direct path of a tornado will likely encounter some type of damage...also look for increased wind speeds as the tornado gets closer

GAustex
03-17-2021, 10:59 AM
^An expert in his own mind^

baseline bum
03-17-2021, 12:29 PM

God damn

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 12:45 PM
After looking at the models and undergoing rigorous research, my expert analysis leads me to believe that anybody in the direct path of a tornado will likely encounter some type of damage...also look for increased wind speeds as the tornado gets closer

Bend over, I'll fucking show you some type of damage.

Spurtacular
03-17-2021, 02:25 PM
But tornadoes are only a serious threat about 3 months out of the year (early March-early June) while you've got to worry about random unpredictable earthquakes striking at any old time, a 24/7/365 reality, including in the middle of the night when you and everyone else are asleep and... BAM! CRACK! 9.3 quake sending you deep headfirst into the earth into oblivion.

Earthquakes don't scare me. If you get to safe spot, you got great odds even if it's bad. Tornadoes are just hellish. Though I was hoping to see a huge one up close when I was out there.

Mark Celibate
03-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Earthquakes don't scare me. If you get to safe spot, you got great odds even if it's bad. Tornadoes are just hellish. Though I was hoping to see a huge one up close when I was out there.

The chance of being impacted by a deadly (EF3+) tornado is minuscule compared to other natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes that strike large areas. When you combine the fact that those tornadoes are rare, usually do not strike heavily populated areas, and have a relatively small damage path it's just not something I really ever worry about. And if you somewhat know what you're doing (unlike the mongoloid above who sat there and filmed a giant tornado barreling right toward him), you have time to flee the area on the 0.0001% chance you ever find yourself in the path of an F4/F5 tornado.

But yes, if you do somehow find yourself getting struck by a violent tornado then you're 100% screwed

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 03:40 PM
The chance of being impacted by a deadly (EF3+) tornado is minuscule compared to other natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes that strike large areas. When you combine the fact that those tornadoes are rare, usually do not strike heavily populated areas, and have a relatively small damage path it's just not something I really ever worry about. And if you somewhat know what you're doing (unlike the mongoloid above who sat there and filmed a giant tornado barreling right toward him), you have time to flee the area on the 0.0001% chance you ever find yourself in the path of an F4/F5 tornado.

But yes, if you do somehow find yourself getting struck by a violent tornado then you're 100% screwed

I will admit though, it's tougher to manage the tornado threat in states like Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas were homes aren't built with basements. In the more northerly states where basements are ubiquitous you're pretty much guaranteed survival without personal injury (yes, your property will be obliterated, especially the upper floor(s)) if you go into the basement. In a place like Dallas if an F4-F5 hits your house square on you can die and there's literally nothing or nowhere you can go to stop that.

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 03:43 PM

Not sure if I agree. Earthquakes can strike at random without any warning and if it's a >9.0 type of quake you're fucked. There's no time to "get into a safe spot" because weather forecasters can't predict seismic quakes, they are completely random acts of nature.

Chucho
03-17-2021, 03:43 PM
The only person who's replied to Andy in this thread has been derp and Andy has quoted Mark like 5 times and quoted like 5 other posters. :rollin

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 03:46 PM
The only person who's replied to Andy in this thread has been derp and Andy has quoted Mark like 5 times and quoted like 5 other posters. :rollin

Mark/Bump and I get along pretty well.

Mark Celibate
03-17-2021, 04:39 PM

Andy's a good dude..... I've just been doing low energy, drive-by shitposting in this thread tbh

pgardn
03-17-2021, 05:48 PM

Ok... Clem did not even scream...

pgardn
03-17-2021, 05:49 PM
Oh yes...

where the F is the RAIN?

WE NEED water.

baseline bum
03-17-2021, 06:09 PM
Not sure if I agree. Earthquakes can strike at random without any warning and if it's a >9.0 type of quake you're fucked. There's no time to "get into a safe spot" because weather forecasters can't predict seismic quakes, they are completely random acts of nature.

The last time a 9.0+ earthquake hit the US, not including Alaska, was the year 1700. And if you include Alaska there was one in 1964 and that's it outside of the 1700 quake.

spurraider21
03-17-2021, 06:28 PM
ive never experienced one, though last year we did get alerts for a tornado warning. apparently a small one touched down in our county, but we never saw it. it got pretty windy by us, but nothing crazy. some trees were downed but luckily we didnt lose power.

was still pretty surreal getting a notification on my phone telling me i'm in the area of a tornado warning. they're not super common here, but apparently not entirely unheard of either.

it was a little nerve rattling anyway since we were a 2nd floor condo unit at the time, which is far from ideal. we've since moved into a house so it would be easier to bunker down if needed. we dont have a designated shelter/cellar or anything like that, but it doesnt seem necessary here

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 07:39 PM
The last time a 9.0+ earthquake hit the US, not including Alaska, was the year 1700. And if you include Alaska there was one in 1964 and that's it outside of the 1700 quake.

1906 San Francisco? It was near that territory and extremely destructive

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 07:41 PM
Oh yes...

where the F is the RAIN?

WE NEED water.
Rain was here last year. Way too much of it, in fact. And too many hail storms/tornado chances, especially in May.

I'm glad this spring is gonna be a dry one, like 2011. Bring on the KSAT stage water restrictions and that face ole Steve Browne made, tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 07:43 PM
ive never experienced one, though last year we did get alerts for a tornado warning. apparently a small one touched down in our county, but we never saw it. it got pretty windy by us, but nothing crazy. some trees were downed but luckily we didnt lose power.

was still pretty surreal getting a notification on my phone telling me i'm in the area of a tornado warning. they're not super common here, but apparently not entirely unheard of either.

it was a little nerve rattling anyway since we were a 2nd floor condo unit at the time, which is far from ideal. we've since moved into a house so it would be easier to bunker down if needed. we dont have a designated shelter/cellar or anything like that, but it doesnt seem necessary here
Yeah most of Virginia and NC are still in the moderate risk zone. I guess for someone from the west coast it's a new experience.

spurraider21
03-17-2021, 07:45 PM
Millennial_Messiah (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=50493)
Simply The GOAT.

This message is hidden because Millennial_Messiah is on your ignore list (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

baseline bum
03-17-2021, 07:51 PM
1906 San Francisco? It was near that territory and extremely destructive

The 1906 SF quake was like 100 times weaker than the 1700 Cascadia quake.

Fat Brandon Bass
03-17-2021, 09:27 PM
monster tornado heading directly into Tuscaloosa right now. Photos coming in are surreal, likely an EF5

StormLuva
03-17-2021, 10:07 PM
:cry turned out to be a bust, fuck....oh well i guess I'll go cuddle/ have buttsex with MannyIsGod and watch some old documentaries on the Joplin tornado destruction to make me feel better....

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 10:46 PM
monster tornado heading directly into Tuscaloosa right now. Photos coming in are surreal, likely an EF5
They had like two F4's a few years ago back-to-back. Maybe this one will take down Nick Saban's house.

Spurtacular
03-18-2021, 12:27 AM

Bean counter snowflake Crusty.

You're one sad fucker honestly.

Spurtacular
03-18-2021, 12:29 AM

In an earthquake, I think you have a great shot at navigating the obstacles as long as you're not near or under anything too heavy. You get caught up in a tornado and you survive by the grace of God frankly.

Spurtacular
03-18-2021, 12:31 AM

Anyone who dies from a hurricane is just someone too stupid to get away from the coast. A tornado can strike rather quickly and even catch a very vigilant person.

Spurtacular
03-18-2021, 08:16 AM

California, buildings are built up to certain codes; so, you know in terms of an earthquake being so powerful that a building crumbles, it truly has to be "the big one."

Mark Celibate
03-18-2021, 09:02 AM
Anyone who dies from a hurricane is just someone too stupid to get away from the coast. A tornado can strike rather quickly and even catch a very vigilant person.

I can agree with that. With hurricanes you have to have your head in the sand for days to be hit by a major one "off-guard". Tornadoes require being much more weather-savvy. They're still not too hard to prepare for as long as you:

a) know that day's forecast (i.e. if severe weather isn't forecasted, you have nothing to worry about)
b) know how to read a weather radar
c) can identify a rotating, wall cloud where tornadoes form. They don't just drop from the sky at random

Also, a good bit of common sense goes along way. If we're under some type of severe weather watch, and I know a storm is on the way with a chance of a tornado forming, I'm not going out on the roads where I can get caught. Just staying in and away from windows is enough to survive 90% of tornadoes. The upper 10% (F4/F5), I'm watching the radar in advance and driving somewhere away from the storm where it doesn't hit me

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2021, 09:27 AM
I can agree with that. With hurricanes you have to have your head in the sand for days to be hit by a major one "off-guard". Tornadoes require being much more weather-savvy. They're still not too hard to prepare for as long as you:

a) know that day's forecast (i.e. if severe weather isn't forecasted, you have nothing to worry about)
b) know how to read a weather radar
c) can identify a rotating, wall cloud where tornadoes form. They don't just drop from the sky at random

Also, a good bit of common sense goes along way. If we're under some type of severe weather watch, and I know a storm is on the way with a chance of a tornado forming, I'm not going out on the roads where I can get caught. Just staying in and away from windows is enough to survive 90% of tornadoes. The upper 10% (F4/F5), I'm watching the radar in advance and driving somewhere away from the storm where it doesn't hit me
Not sure if that one's accurate. Plenty of sunny/partly cloudy forecasted spring days with "10% precipitation chance" in DFW/Denton I've spent that started off hot and humid and by 5PM ended in a severe thunderstorm and a tornado scare.

Btw, if you're ever in Denton during a tornado scare... there's this older building called Wooten Hall on the UNT campus, built in 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis for nuclear bomb bunker purposes, with a large, very deep (probably 20+ feet deep), grandfathered basement that is mainly used by janitors but is accessible to students as well. It's where I went anytime there was a chance of a tornado.

Mark Celibate
03-18-2021, 09:48 AM
Not sure if that one's accurate. Plenty of sunny/partly cloudy forecasted spring days with "10% precipitation chance" in DFW/Denton I've spent that started off hot and humid and by 5PM ended in a severe thunderstorm and a tornado scare.

Btw, if you're ever in Denton during a tornado scare... there's this older building called Wooten Hall on the UNT campus, built in 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis for nuclear bomb bunker purposes, with a large, very deep (probably 20+ feet deep), grandfathered basement that is mainly used by janitors but is accessible to students as well. It's where I went anytime there was a chance of a tornado.

Well yeah, there have been plenty of days where you get that "pop-up thunderstorm" that may form a weak funnel cloud but they don't lead to much more than that. Even then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know to avoid driving toward big, dark scary looking clouds

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Well yeah, there have been plenty of days where you get that "pop-up thunderstorm" that may form a weak funnel cloud but they don't lead to much more than that. Even then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know to avoid driving toward big, dark scary looking clouds

Yep, but, sometimes there's not a choice. If you're headed north on I-35 past OKC, what choice do you have? The most likely "worst case scenario" is a free car wash, and if the absolutely infinitesimal case of a tornado scooping up your car on the highway and killing you happens... then you just weren't meant to be, I guess. Some things are just best left up to fate & destiny.

Mark Celibate
03-18-2021, 05:35 PM
Here are a few other close-up tornado videos

Some crazy Mexican guy filming the Tuscaloosa tornado coming right at his window, yet it ends up barely swiping them inexplicably leaving him without a scratch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeX_fIwoI4

Truck driver stops in the middle of an intersection and just watches an F4 tornado coming right at him. Tornado literally gets within yards of the truck, and starts to drag him in before moving on. :lol funniest part was that he was annoyed at the "inconvenience" of having his rear view mirror bent and being completely oblivious to the fact that he was mere inches away from death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2Vis4sSDY

spurraider21
03-18-2021, 08:10 PM
California, buildings are built up to certain codes; so, you know in terms of an earthquake being so powerful that a building crumbles, it truly has to be "the big one."
goddam regulations and red tape

Millennial_Messiah
03-18-2021, 09:01 PM
goddam regulations and red tape

Customer ends up bearing the cost which makes CA so goddamn expensive to live. All those fire retardants and earthquake safeguards aren't cheap.

San Andreas rumble wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it smokes out the life of all those damn hoboes and panhandlers. Literal scum.

Fat Brandon Bass
03-18-2021, 09:58 PM
what a wild day we have for Day 2. F5 tornado that was spotted yesterday in Tuscaloosa has done a 180, gone out to the Gulf, and restrengthened into an F6 monster. Apparentyly making a beeline towards New York City...unprecedented stuff folks

Robz4000
03-18-2021, 10:42 PM
what a wild day we have for Day 2. F5 tornado that was spotted yesterday in Tuscaloosa has done a 180, gone out to the Gulf, and restrengthened into an F6 monster. Apparentyly making a beeline towards New York City...unprecedented stuff folks

Wait until news gets out that it's being guided by a super secret weather machine being controlled by Tom Hanks and Oprah.

Millennial_Messiah
03-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Wait until news gets out that it's being guided by a super secret weather machine being controlled by Tom Hanks and Oprah.

But the lizards control them too
And it's run by some black dude
I'm in love with Yo Gotti
As my butthole smells like dudes
I'm in the Illuminati

Mark Celibate
03-19-2021, 11:56 AM

wouldn't be surprised if Soros was feeding the tornado with GMO-powered chemtrails via Jewish space lasers imho