PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Discussion

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 11:27 AM
I guess I'll start with Best Picture.

Nomadland : I started this but knew pretty quickly it was going to be a downer.

Promising Young Woman : I actually paid $20 bucks to rent this pretty average movie. It's not bad but it's pretty weak as a Best Picture nominee.

Trial of Chicago Seven : This was very good. Great cast and never felt like it dragged.

Minari : will watch when they drop the rental price.

Judas and the Black Messiah : Great movie all around.

Mank : never heard of it but will probably watch tonight. Likely can't go wrong with Gary Oldman. Plus Seyfried is hot.

Sound of Metal : thought this was good but not great. The lead actor was fantastic but in the end, I didn't think the movie was awesome.

The Father : hadn't heard of it

It's hard to think of a movie that blew me away this year. Of the ones I've seen above, Judas and the Black Messiah was my favorite. I'm going to actually make a point to watch all of them. Except finishing Nomadland.

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 11:29 AM
As to best actor, I thikn Riz Ahment gets it for Sound of Metal. He was fantastic. I also think they do make him the first Muslim to win an acting Oscar.
Just now realized he was the guy from The Night Of.

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 11:32 AM
As to best actress, even though I haven't seen it, I think it goes to Andra Day.
Even though they're great, I don't think they give it to Viola Davis or McDormand because I think they're getting away from someone winning like Streep.
And Mulligan was good but I didn't think she was great.

ChumpDumper
03-17-2021, 11:59 AM
I've only seen Judas and Chicago 7, the latter being as good as expected and the former better than it probably should've been. Judas is the product of completing teams of sitcom writers, a director on his second feature and two lead actors who have barely played leads and are both a decade too old to play these roles. Speaking of the leads, it's pretty obvious these performances kind of took the Academy by surprise; they somehow decided both were supporting roles. It made an NYT reporter ask "If Stanfield and Kaluuya are both supporting actors, then who exactly is this movie supposed to be about?":lol

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 12:12 PM
I've only seen Judas and Chicago 7, the latter being as good as expected and the former better than it probably should've been. Judas is the product of completing teams of sitcom writers, a director on his second feature and two lead actors who have barely played leads and are both a decade too old to play these roles. Speaking of the leads, it's pretty obvious these performances kind of took the Academy by surprise; they somehow decided both were supporting roles. It made an NYT reporter ask "If Stanfield and Kaluuya are both supporting actors, then who exactly is this movie supposed to be about?":lol

Yeah...that does come up once in a while. In this case, I thought Kaluuya (Fred Hampton) was better. I haven't seen three of the other Best Actor movies so I don't know if he should crack that. That being said, I don't think either of the Judas guys was better than Ahment. I will say that I don't think Cohen was better than some of the other cast in Trial.

baseline bum
03-17-2021, 12:28 PM
If Hurt Locker and Crash can win best picture I gotta kind of disagree that Promising Young Woman is weak for a nominee. Loved that movie.

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 12:43 PM
If Hurt Locker and Crash can win best picture I gotta kind of disagree that Promising Young Woman is weak for a nominee. Loved that movie.

I guess between those three, I'd agree that Promising Young Woman was the best.

As to this year, I thought I'm Your Woman was better even as to best actress.

Adam Lambert
03-17-2021, 01:13 PM
Of the ones I've seen, I'd go:

Sound of Metal
Nomadland
Judas and the Black Messiah
Mank
Trial of Chicago Seven

A lot of these are pretty overrated in my opinion. I would normally go watch these in a theater around this time of year, so I do wonder if the experience of watching on my couch, and all of the distractions that go along with that, may have affected my focus and/or appreciation of the movies. I thought "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" was better than any of the nominees (that I've seen.) And while I don't know that "One Night in Miami" was one of the ten best movies of the year, I did like it more than several of the actual nominees. Hell I might even put Palm Springs up there.

Andra Day should be a shoe-in for Best Actress but she may be at a disadvantage due to it being only a so-so movie.

koriwhat
03-17-2021, 02:57 PM
^ bunch of women

SpursforSix
03-17-2021, 03:08 PM
^ bunch of women

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be another Fast and Furious coming out soon.

ChumpDumper
03-17-2021, 03:10 PM
^ bunch of womenNow tell us you don't care, weakling.

koriwhat
03-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be another Fast and Furious coming out soon.

I never watched those to begin with. I watch documentaries mainly or tutorials to learn things. Sorry you have such a warped sense of who I am irl but thanks for the laughs nonetheless. :tu

ChumpDumper
03-17-2021, 03:52 PM
kori watches Loose Change and The Pick-Up Artist.

Millennial_Messiah
03-17-2021, 04:01 PM
None of the COVID era movies that have come out have been very good at least the ones I've seen.

DMC
03-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Never heard of any of those movies :lol

MultiTroll
03-18-2021, 10:26 AM
Nomadland : I started this but knew pretty quickly it was going to be a downer.
Take a look at these 2 on the IG.

_gypsytribe_

The whole Van Life thing can be interesting. She'll probably give you a stiffy. Or at least the husband will for you and Adam Lambert.

SpursforSix
03-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Take a look at these 2 on the IG.

_gypsytribe_

The whole Van Life thing can be interesting. She'll probably give you a stiffy. Or at least the husband will for you and Adam Lambert.

I'm sure it could be cool as shit under the right circumstances and for a certain amount of time. It's not a viable option for me at this point.