PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate LMA trade idea: Spurs get Otto Porter Jr.

DAF86
03-20-2021, 01:49 PM
Otto Porter Jr for Aldridge and one of the following (in order of preference for the Spurs): 2nd round pick, 1st round pick or Lonnie Walker.

I don't know what it would take for the Bulls to consider the trade, but I think I would be willing to part with any of those assets.

Why would the Spurs consider this trade?

Otto Porter is pretty much the protypical player they are missing at that 4 spot. Porter Jr checks all these boxes:

-6'8"
-defensive minded player who is versatile.
-good 3pt shooter.
-positive impact player on both side of the ball.
-and the best trait yet: he's only 27 years old. He fits this young core window like a glove. For real, I don't think there's a better fit out there.

Porter's one big question mark is pretty much a non-issue for the Spurs: his price tag. He makes Aldridge money (another reason why the trade is pretty much tailor made) and he probably would want to keep making that kind of money. Thankfully for the Spurs, they can allow to overpay a bit for him in the next couple of years. The Spurs can offer Porter a contract that not many other teams around the league can. That should give PATFO confidence about retaining him past this season.

Why would the Bulls consider this trade?

The Bulls have two options:

-If they want to compete to make the playoffs, they can just keep Aldridge. They have no real starting center and LA would be an immediate upgrade on that department.

-If they go tank mode, they can just buy out Aldridge, in which case their gain would be the pick or a promising young player in Lonnie.

Either way, win/win for them.

mo7888
03-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Otto Porter Jr for Aldridge and one of the following (in order of preference for the Spurs): 2nd round pick, 1st round pick or Lonnie Walker.

I don't know what it would take for the Bulls to consider the trade, but I think I would be willing to part with any of those assets.

Why would the Spurs consider this trade?

Otto Porter is pretty much the protypical player they are missing at that 4 spot. Porter Jr checks all these boxes:

-6'8"
-defensive minded player who is versatile.
-good 3pt shooter.
-positive impact player on both side of the ball.
-and the best trait yet: he's only 27 years old. He fits this young core window like a glove. For real, I don't think there's a better fit out there.

Porter's one big question mark is pretty much a non-issue for the Spurs: his price tag. He makes Aldridge money (another reason why the trade is pretty much tailor made) and he probably would want to keep making that kind of money. Thankfully for the Spurs, they can allow to overpay a bit for him in the next couple of years. The Spurs can offer Porter a contract that not manybother teams around the league can. That should give PATFO confidence about retaining him past this season.

Why would the Bulls consider this trade?

The Bulls have two options:

-If they want to compete to make the playoffs, they can just keep Aldridge. They have no real starting center and LA would be an immediate upgrade on that department.

-If they go tan mode, they can just buy out Aldridge, in which case their gain would be the pick or a promising young player in Lonnie.

Either way, win/win for them.

The only way we do that and send a pick or LW is if we are also sending Rudy and getting Lauri in the deal.

DAF86
03-20-2021, 02:00 PM
The only way we do that and send a pick or LW is if we are also sending Rudy and getting Lauri in the deal.

Why would the Bulls do that though?

mo7888
03-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Why would the Bulls do that though?

I'm not sure they would but, if they didn't want to pay Lauri this summer it's a way for them to extract some value now..

GAustex
03-20-2021, 02:05 PM
Is not Porter a bench player for the bulls?

RC_Drunkford
03-20-2021, 03:12 PM
Still one of the worst posters when it comes to trade scenarios I see

DAF86
03-20-2021, 05:02 PM
Still one of the worst posters when it comes to trade scenarios I see

Turning Aldridge into Porter is possibly the best we can do. The fuck are you talking about? :lol

gospursgojas
03-20-2021, 05:05 PM
Lol I wouldn’t do Aldridge for Porter straight up. And your wanna throw in Lonnie and a first???

DAF86
03-20-2021, 05:07 PM
Lol I wouldn’t do Aldridge for Porter straight up. And your wanna throw in Lonnie and a first???

Give a not retarded explanation of why you wouldn't do Aldridge for Porter straight up. :lol

DAF86
03-20-2021, 05:11 PM

Also, no, I don't want to give up a 1st AND Lonnie. I would be willing to give up a 1st OR Lonnie.

longhorn
03-20-2021, 05:16 PM
Not sure why you think Chicago would want to trade for LMA. They've spent top 10 picks on Wendell Carter, Lauri Markkanen, and Patrick Williams. LMA would just eat into their minutes/development.

And not sure why San Antonio should give up a draft pick for Porter, a player with injury issues and an expiring contract who isn't going to vault this team into championship contention. You'd be selling your future just to be an early exit in the playoffs.

DAF86
03-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Not sure why you think Chicago would want to trade for LMA. They've spent top 10 picks on Wendell Carter, Lauri Markkanen, and Patrick Williams. LMA would just eat into their minutes/development.

1) to improve at the center position. They are in the hunt for a playoffs spot.
2) to get something out of Porter, who, if they don't trade, will lose for nothing. If they manage to get a 1st for Porter, they wouldn't think twice.

And not sure why San Antonio should give up a draft pick for Porter, a player with injury issues and an expiring contract who isn't going to vault this team into championship contention. You'd be selling your future just to be an early exit in the playoffs.

Porter might not vault the Spurs into contention, but he puts them one piece away. As currently constructed, the Spurs are missing 2 very important pieces. A 3 and D, 6'8" forward, and a true 1st option. Porter adresses that first need as well as anybody in the league.

jjspur
03-20-2021, 05:33 PM
This trade has a few pluses and a few minuses, but if you tweak it up a bit well.......
Aldridge, Rudy Gay, and a 2021 #2 pick for
Otto Porter & Lauri Markkanen

Why do this ? Well Porter and Aldridge pretty much cancel each other out. Neither one is coming back to their team next season. They are both kinda washed up and looking for new diggs.
So its essentially Markkanen for Rudy and a #2. Does it make much sense ? Well Rudy is nice vet to have but wont be getting 14.5 million next year from us or any one else. Thats a plus for the Bulls if they want to sign him. They also get a 2nd rounder for some new young talent.
Markkanen will be more expensive, probably in the 14 to 19 million range which the Bulls dont seem to want to pay since there was no extension. I think the Spurs would pay that price since they have been looking for that same type of player before -- Bertans and Samanic, tall guys who can shoot three pointers although not much for rebounding.
If you step back a bit, its not that bad a deal for either side and could possibly help both clubs for the playoffs or in the longer term. I this Chicago even originally drafted Aldridge before he was traded to Portland. Its just something to think about.

r0drig0lac
03-20-2021, 05:35 PM
Lol I wouldn’t do Aldridge for Porter straight up. And your wanna throw in Lonnie and a first???why?

RC_Drunkford
03-20-2021, 05:38 PM
Turning Aldridge into Porter is possibly the best we can do. The fuck are you talking about? :lol

trading for a bench player of a worse team somehow improves the Spurs? And you want to give them a pick or Lonnie on top of it? I’m curious what your explanation for this „ultimate trade idea“ is :lmao :lmao :lmao

cd021
03-20-2021, 05:51 PM
Don't get why we'd have to move Walker or a possible lottery pick for a bench player. Just have the deal be straight-up.

TD 21
03-20-2021, 05:52 PM
Porter Jr.'s extensive injury history (back being the latest) has seemingly diminished his mobility and rendered him somewhat gimpy and more of a part time player.

Not that he wouldn't be a great fit and they shouldn't be all over it, but Walker IV or a 1st shouldn't be required and isn't worth it either way, when as you said, they can outbid almost every contender or aspiring one in free agency.

Also, let's be real: There's no reason to think Aldridge would be amendable to playing for the Bulls and we all know the Spurs' primary concern will be "doing right by him".

DAF86
03-20-2021, 06:08 PM
trading for a bench player of a worse team somehow improves the Spurs? And you want to give them a pick or Lonnie on top of it? I’m curious what your explanation for this „ultimate trade idea“ is :lmao :lmao :lmao

This is a typical "good player not giving a shit on a bad team" scenario. I remember folks bitching about getting Diaw because he was sucking on the Bobcats. :lol

Also, it isn't like Porter is really sucking. 10 and 5 in 40% 3 pt shooting. All around positive impact going by metrics. And only 27 years old. Is not like he's a washed up player with his best years behind him.

DAF86
03-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Don't get why we'd have to move Walker or a possible lottery pick for a bench player. Just have the deal be straight-up.

I don't think the Bulls would go for that, but if it happens, all the better.

mo7888
03-20-2021, 06:14 PM

You really think the Bulls value an expiring contract on a bench player so much that they'd only trade him for a first?

cd021
03-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Both teams would essentially be swapping expiring's.

FutureMan
03-20-2021, 07:36 PM
“Death, Taxes, and the Spurs not giving up assets for something they can get for free the following offseason”

longhorn
03-20-2021, 07:38 PM
Porter might not vault the Spurs into contention, but he puts them one piece away. As currently constructed, the Spurs are missing 2 very important pieces. A 3 and D, 6'8" forward, and a true 1st option. Porter adresses that first need as well as anybody in the league.

So we're going to give up a first round pick--at worst a mid round pick, and possibly a late lotto pick--for a half year rental of an oft-injured Otto Porter...and then hope that he wants to re-sign with us this offseason?

He'll be 28 in June, and he hasn't had a fully or even remotely close to fully healthy season since he was 24. We're going to throw big money at him to keep him around, and give up a first round pick to do so?

The best thing this team does is draft and develop talent. Giving up a first round pick for Otto Porter would be a short-sighted gamble.

Mr. Body
03-20-2021, 07:56 PM

To make things full circle? They drafted LaMarcus Aldridge, yet promptly traded him for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa in a move that probably set the Bulls back a decade.

pad300
03-20-2021, 08:36 PM
This is a typical "good player not giving a shit on a bad team" scenario. I remember folks bitching about getting Diaw because he was sucking on the Bobcats. :lol

Also, it isn't like Porter is really sucking. 10 and 5 in 40% 3 pt shooting. All around positive impact going by metrics. And only 27 years old. Is not like he's a washed up player with his best years behind him.

Well, actually, he might be washed up at this point. He's had a lot of significant injuries...

DAF86
03-20-2021, 09:30 PM
Both teams would essentially be swapping expiring's.

The difference is that Porter has a chance of resigning with the Spurs, Aldridge not so much with the Bulls. Also, Aldridge is almost 10 years older.

DAF86
03-20-2021, 09:32 PM
Well, actually, he might be washed up at this point. He's had a lot of significant injuries...

He's averaging 10 and 5 on 40 % 3 pt shooting, with positive metrics. I would take that kind of washed up, tbh.

cd021
03-21-2021, 03:35 AM
The difference is that Porter has a chance of resigning with the Spurs, Aldridge not so much with the Bulls. Also, Aldridge is almost 10 years older.
So the Spurs should give up a possible lottery pick and Lonnie Walker because of that? That doesn't make sense. I don't like the idea of buying out Aldridge at all but it would be preferable to that.

EasyMoney
03-21-2021, 04:53 AM
Don't know what people see in Otto porter Jr.

rankingtear
03-21-2021, 07:44 AM
Advance stats darling 3 years ago. People still hoping he can get back to that level. CHI/WAS fans point to poor conditioning resulting in a ton of injuries hip/back that slowed him down. Personally don't like the gamble of mixing a poor work ethic player in this group.

Teamduncan21
03-21-2021, 08:07 AM

People love making hypothetical names with trades that ring a sound without really watching how the guy plays.

To be fair lma is leaving anyway. So any return as long as not long term and not bad locker room.guy is still a return

mo7888
03-21-2021, 08:08 AM
Advance stats darling 3 years ago. People still hoping he can get back to that level. CHI/WAS fans point to poor conditioning resulting in a ton of injuries hip/back that slowed him down. Personally don't like the gamble of mixing a poor work ethic player in this group.

I've been kinda ambivalent about him but, if he has a poor work ethic as you suggest, I don't want him anywhere near our young guys.

Dverde
03-21-2021, 08:15 AM
If the Spurs like him and want to target him during the offseason...it makes sense to trade for him now to kick the tires and see how he fits with the team. I wouldn’t give up anything but a future second rounder. I personally don’t understand the love for Otto Porter, he’s never impressed me.

RC_Drunkford
03-21-2021, 08:57 AM

Keldon and Rudy have better stat lines than Porter. So you want us to trade a pick for a 3rd stringer? You should be a GM

Mr. Body
03-21-2021, 09:09 AM

Same. An utter non-factor for a decade with WASH and CHI, two nowhere franchises. This board gets obsessed with players over the years. Him and Oubre.

jjspur
03-21-2021, 11:22 AM
I think the point is to turn Aldridge into anything other than just handing him his 9 million for the rest of the season without getting anything of some value in return. At least we wont be seeing him on those HEB commercials.

pad300
03-21-2021, 11:42 AM
He's averaging 10 and 5 on 40 % 3 pt shooting, with positive metrics. I would take that kind of washed up, tbh.

He's played less than 500 minutes for the last 2 seasons, and is on pace for less than 1000 this season... The question is how much would we end up paying him for that 10 and 5. He's currently on $28 million annually, and I'm sure he wants at least $20 million going forward. If he's giving up 10 and 5, and less than 1000 minutes, he's worth the MLE at most. While I would do Aldridge for him, I wouldn't put a sweetner in... at least not from our side.

Degoat
03-21-2021, 11:45 AM
I think the point is to turn Aldridge into anything other than just handing him his 9 million for the rest of the season without getting anything of some value in return. At least we wont be seeing him on those HEB commercials.

Exactly Aldridge has contributed absolutely nothing this year, if the spurs can get anything back that they could use that’s a win for us

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-21-2021, 11:59 AM

Well, to be fair, Aldridge is averaging 14 and 5 on 36% 3 pt shooting and we all think he's toast.

But if the coaches thought Porter could add something of value for a playoff push this season I wouldn't be opposed to a straight up trade. Not sure giving up any other assets make sense though. He's not that desirable of an acquisition.

DAF86
03-21-2021, 01:36 PM
So the Spurs should give up a possible lottery pick and Lonnie Walker because of that? That doesn't make sense. I don't like the idea of buying out Aldridge at all but it would be preferable to that.

Can't you people read? :lol What part of it isn't a draft pick AND Lonnie don't you get? It is draft pick OR Lonnie.

DAF86
03-21-2021, 01:39 PM

I listed all in the OP, tbh.

-6'8"
-40% 3pt shooter
-good defender
-positive impact metrics on both sides on the floor (all of his career including this year, not only 3 years ago).

DAF86
03-21-2021, 01:40 PM
Keldon and Rudy have better stat lines than Porter. So you want us to trade a pick for a 3rd stringer? You should be a GM

Porter would be in immediate starter with us, tbh.

cd021
03-21-2021, 06:03 PM
Can't you people read? :lol What part of it isn't a draft pick AND Lonnie don't you get? It is draft pick OR Lonnie.
Either or doesn't make it better. Straight up or its a bad deal tbh.

DAF86
03-22-2021, 07:02 PM
Either or doesn't make it better. Straight up or its a bad deal tbh.

The Bulls don't have any motive to do this deal straight up, imho.

mo7888
03-22-2021, 07:05 PM

They do... LMA would mean more to them than OPJ for the rest of the season... Basically they need a backup center who can shoot more than a backup 3/4 who can shoot.

DAF86
03-22-2021, 07:16 PM
They do... LMA would mean more to them than OPJ for the rest of the season... Basically they need a backup center who can shoot more than a backup 3/4 who can shoot.

If we can swap Aldridge for Porter straight up, all the more reason to try to pull this off, tbh. Should be a no brainer.

mo7888
03-22-2021, 07:17 PM
If we can swap Aldridge for Porter straight up, all the more reason to try to pull this off, tbh. Should be a no brainer.

I would be good with that myself..

cd021
03-23-2021, 02:32 AM
That's there problem then. I wouldn't do that deal if another asset is required. I would, straight-up, though.

The Truth #6
03-23-2021, 08:00 AM
I'm resigned to just letting him walk. It's frustrating, but unless we get a solid stretch 4 out of this, or some other promising young pieces that can play in the front court, then I'd rather just play Luka more and see what we have. Especially since the team is not trying to get into the lottery to get a big talent. I go back and forth on all the potential scenarios, but LMA's value is pretty low. It's good to wait until the trade deadline passes to buy him out, just in case something develops, but as we all know we aren't getting anything back.

Honestly, I wonder if some of these recent losses are fueled by the trade market uncertainty. This is a weird time for the team until they get through this deadline.

jjspur
03-23-2021, 08:45 AM
The problem isn't Lamarcus Aldridge the player. Everyone knows he can still give you 15 minutes and 10-15 points per game, even if he is old and slow. Its his inflated salary. I'll bet there will be half a dozen teams clamoring for his services after he is bought out. Sometimes I think that was his plan for the year all along. Hey Aldridge, at least give the spurs back some of that free money that you haven't really earned.

james evans
03-23-2021, 09:08 AM
you know how in the 80s-2000s that no one wanted to play for the clippers, well I think that's our team now. No one wants to come to the spurs to be told how to play, when to shoot, how to defend, and how to act off the court. Shit is like a military system. Add in that popovich has to keep at least one player on his roster that should have been out of the league years prior, while giving him minutes..