PDA

View Full Version : The Only Two Patty Mills Trades That Make Sense

timvp
03-20-2021, 05:37 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-trade-patty-mills-two-trades-make-sense/

Would Pop ever willingly say goodbye?

RC_Drunkford
03-20-2021, 05:39 PM
Oh a science fiction article. Nice

mo7888
03-20-2021, 06:13 PM
I'm in favor of either trade honestly... Its interesting to me that Patty is worth more than LMA on the market though...

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-20-2021, 06:34 PM

ursula le guin-esqu science fantasy fiction tbh

Gagnrath
03-20-2021, 06:52 PM
I'm in favor of either trade honestly... Its interesting to me that Patty is worth more than LMA on the market though...
Productive player with a good attitude vs unproductive with a bad one.

DesignatedT
03-20-2021, 07:02 PM
Bro, no trades are happening. Spurs are gonna buy out LMA and finish the season as is. They’ll try and low ball DeRozan in the offseason and he will decline and sign elsewhere. That’s when it gets interesting..

PrimeMinister
03-20-2021, 07:05 PM
I’m hitching my cart to the Danny Ainge sign and trade for Demar in the offseason wagon

bonus points if one of Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum is disgruntled and wants out of Boston after the playoffs

slick'81
03-20-2021, 07:20 PM
:rollin:rollin No firesale for mills

slick'81
03-20-2021, 07:21 PM
Bro, no trades are happening. Spurs are gonna buy out LMA and finish the season as is. They’ll try and low ball DeRozan in the offseason and he will decline and sign elsewhere. That’s when it gets interesting..

Yup that cap space is going to demar,gay& mills

Maddog
03-20-2021, 07:37 PM
Good article.
He's unlikely to go anywhere. The Spurs value"corporate knowledge" and community engagement. He's got both and he and Rudy have something to do with the success of the youth movement.
From the ringer.com
The Spurs are 5-5 this season in games that were close in the final minutes. This team will not stop competing. It’s an organization-driven mindset,

I'm good with his slightly overpaid contract and him staying.

Maddog
03-20-2021, 07:56 PM
Productive player with a good attitude vs unproductive with a bad one.

Also salary and skill sets, Patty slots in on almost any contender,
LMA salary is difficult to move/match. That said, Patty is unlikely to leave

KingKev
03-20-2021, 08:34 PM

Underrated comment tbh

SpursDynasty85
03-20-2021, 09:24 PM
hmm... this article is the most confusing so far. Patty Mills commanding multiple players + first rounders? If that is any where near his real value. Spurs should trade him in a heart beat.

Excessive Egotist
03-20-2021, 10:36 PM
A variation that sends Gay to 76ers too.

https://tradenba.com/trades/JSLpEQzKF

Dejounte
03-21-2021, 09:34 AM
There really is no way to increase the minutes of Vassell, Lonnie, or both next year without Mills being gone.

Excessive Egotist
03-21-2021, 09:42 AM
There really is no way to increase the minutes of Vassell, Lonnie, or both next year without Mills being gone.

Same is true of Samanic and Gay too.

I expect our '21 pick to be in Austin, but if we do pick higher than expected a rookie might need developmental minutes in San Antonio.

Dejounte
03-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Same is true of Samanic and Gay too.

I expect our '21 pick to be in Austin, but if we do pick higher than expected a rookie might need developmental minutes in San Antonio.

Mills is on the Bryn Forbes train route out of San Antonio. When there's a clearly better player available, they usually let the lesser player go.

KingKev
03-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Mills is on the Bryn Forbes train route out of San Antonio. When there's a clearly better player available, they usually let the lesser player go.

I’d put Mills a few grades above Forbes and Marco. We simply have too much overlapping talent and outside of his vet leadership he doesn’t really fit with our trajectory. Likewise, for a competitor like himself this team, in it’s current state doesn’t make sense. Patty could be a material role player on a contender in his current form.

jjktkk
03-21-2021, 10:46 AM
[url

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M584bP_FeE

Chomag
03-21-2021, 11:01 AM
I don't hate Mills at all but there are now better players on this team that play in his spot.

Mr. Body
03-21-2021, 11:09 AM
Mills' value off the court is beyond measure to the team. We all know this.

TD 21
03-21-2021, 11:33 AM
They're not trading him and the only way they're not re-signing him for something like 3/$36M (contenders and pseudo ones alike will be bound by the MLE), is if he tells them he prefers to sign with one of said teams.

I get the sense he prefers the big man on campus role he could only really have here and that they didn't let Forbes, a personal favorite of theirs who wanted to stay, leave on an inexpensive contract if they thought they were a season out from losing Mills.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-21-2021, 11:33 AM
He's retiring a Spur, but nice to consider.

Dejounte
03-21-2021, 11:40 AM
Mills' value off the court is beyond measure to the team. We all know this.

No one doubts this but also no one thinks the Spurs should pay him an amount of money justified only for players expected to play 20+ minutes which the Spurs will not have for Mills, unless they're moving on from Lonnie or Vassell. And no one expects Mills to take a paycut either when this is his last chance to earn a big contract. So the Spurs have to make a decision between overpaying Mills for his off the court services or letting him go. I wouldn't be surprised by either option, but we both know one choice is worse than the other if we're looking at the big picture of things.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-21-2021, 11:53 AM
No one doubts this but also no one thinks the Spurs should pay him an amount of money justified only for players expected to play 20+ minutes which the Spurs will not have for Mills, unless they're moving on from Lonnie or Vassell. And no one expects Mills to take a paycut either when this is his last chance to earn a big contract. So the Spurs have to make a decision between overpaying Mills for his off the court services or letting him go. I wouldn't be surprised by either option, but we both know one choice is worse than the other if we're looking at the big picture of things.

I could see Mills taking less for a longer-term deal. If he's truly trying to act in the mold of the Big 3, they all did that to help the overall team success. Who knows how much money Tim left on the table over the years, but I'd guess a solid 9 figures compared to what he'd of gotten if he had the mentality of today's superstar. Mills says he's all about the "Spurs way", so we'll see.

It will be interesting.

rankingtear
03-21-2021, 12:10 PM
Don't trade Mills. Whatever posters in here say chemistry and culture matters a lot. Sign him until he retires.

The Truth #6
03-21-2021, 01:03 PM
I'm all in on trading him. His next contract will cost too much. Definitely a team player, and I would love for him to be an assistant coach here after he retires, but he's going to take minutes from Lonnie and other young players, not to mention, complicate re-signing some of our young players.

Now, there are a lot of variables involved with Rudy, Mills, and DDR all looking for contracts. But the FO really needs to figure out their priorities. Re-signing all three seems dumb to me, but could happen. If they know they need to move on from someone, then they need to trade them.

MultiTroll
03-21-2021, 01:14 PM
:lol Slurp slurp

No, other teams do not see Contract Year Patty thru over rated lenses.

Best move for any team would be to sign Mills for.....one year.

ducks
03-21-2021, 04:17 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-trade-patty-mills-two-trades-make-sense/

No he thinks he is the greatest thing and he thinks he is above everyone because he is old white priv dude

Arcadian
03-21-2021, 04:26 PM
Don't trade Mills. Whatever posters in here say chemistry and culture matters a lot. Sign him until he retires.

:lol As if the team would just suddenly fall apart without Mills

MultiTroll
03-22-2021, 06:19 AM
Teaching the young ones that Championship experience and culture.

https://youtu.be/z-Fgbq29TiA

rankingtear
03-22-2021, 08:02 AM
https://youtu.be/7GDcrvseNgs?t=12137

Dave Joerger on Spurs "Culture"

MultiTroll
03-22-2021, 08:25 AM
Dave Joerger on Spurs "Culture"
Time?
3 hours 30 minute youtube.

rankingtear
03-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Time?
3 hours 30 minute youtube.

Fixed i think, during the Keldon one pick 29 , 3:22:48

Arcadian
03-22-2021, 08:36 PM
You need leadership. You think LMA and Detrash have that?

I think the team chemistry would be just fine without Mills. He's nice and all, but I don't think the team would suddenly collapse into discord without him.

james evans
03-22-2021, 10:11 PM
trade??? Mills Derozen, and Gay are all getting extensions

Arcadian
03-22-2021, 10:15 PM
Seems like the less Spurs corporate knowledge we get, the worse we get. Patty Mils is being underpaid to carry that gauntlet by himself. I would think you would know about that since they preach that all the time.
He's not carrying anything by himself. Murray, White, and Derozan have been around long enough to understand whatever they need to about "corporate knowledge."

Mills is the last remnant of the 2014 beautiful game, though, so I like him for that.

MultiTroll
03-22-2021, 10:41 PM
Seems like the less Spurs corporate knowledge we get, the worse we get. Patty Mils is being underpaid to carry that gauntlet by himself. I would think you would know about that since they preach that all the time.
Please explain what happens ON THE FLOOR due to Pattys *corporate knowledge*.

MultiTroll
03-22-2021, 10:44 PM
He's not carrying anything by himself. Murray, White, and Derozan have been around long enough to understand whatever they need to about "corporate knowledge."

Mills is the last remnant of the 2014 beautiful game, though, so I like him for that.
Hey everyone, I used to play on the 2014 team that was one of the GOAT.
See what that means now?

https://youtu.be/z-Fgbq29TiA

RC_Drunkford
03-22-2021, 10:46 PM
We should bring Belinelli back for more corporate knowledge. That really helped the team last season

Ice009
03-23-2021, 08:30 AM
I didn't read one post in this thread, but I want my opinion to be clear. Any trade with Mills leaving the Spurs is a good one.

slick'81
03-23-2021, 12:14 PM
I didn't read one post in this thread, but I want my opinion to be clear. Any trade with Mills leaving the Spurs is a good one.

And will never happen unfortunately

Spurtacular
03-23-2021, 09:40 PM
Any Patty Mills trade makes sense.

Mal
03-24-2021, 03:20 PM
I can see scenario, where Spurs lose DDR, try to lure some FA like Collins for big money and Mills will take whatever left.
Of Spurs do something stupid, like with Gasol extension.

EricB
03-24-2021, 06:24 PM
Unless the deal is “hard to pass up” he’s not going anywhere

objective
03-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Nets probably wouldn't give Claxton up even if the Spurs added a first round pick to Mills.

Claxton fits perfectly for the Nets on a cheap deal that goes through next season and then they'll have bird rights on him.