PDA

View Full Version : Have some patience

TheChillFactor
03-22-2021, 08:34 AM
I'm just so sick of people clamoring to trade Walker, or White, or any of these guys.

NBA players take YEARS to develop. Especially when you are drafting 14th and LOWER.

Right now the Spurs are in a good position. They have a number of young players that could develop into very good players. Just relax, let them play together and see what develops. Murray, Walker, White, Keldon, Luka, Devin and Poeltl all still have potential to improve. Would you really want to give up on one of these guys and then see them blossom on a different team? For a 30-year old Vucevic or Harrison Barnes??

Additionally, development is not a straight line. You have to face different situations, figure out what you're good at, and adjust. That means "failing" a lot during the process of learning.

Didn't you guys watch Tony Parker?

He flamed out in the playoffs MULTIPLE times before he broke through. Most famously the '03 Finals when Speedy Claxton was finishing games, but not just then. In the '04 series against LA, he had two great games and then fell apart in the back half of that series.

What about Kawhi? He did the same thing in that 2012 WCF vs. Oklahoma City - just disappeared.

Once these guys develop, you see the benefits of experience and know-how. Then you idiots want to trade them after we have sunk all this time and effort into them because the team "needs to get younger". I don't know how many times I read that between 2007 and 2014.

you guys want to pull the cake out of the oven after 15 minutes and talk about how it tastes like shit, and the chef is an idiot.

Just go rub one out or smoke a doob or something for chrissakes.

sananspursfan21
03-22-2021, 08:47 AM
Definitely not ready to trade Walker unless it’s really a no brainer. I’m still willing to be patient for White, but he’s concerning me a little. I know he’s coming off covid and he might have had it pretty nasty, but in his career, it feels like we’ve only seen flashes and not a ton of consistency, injuries or not.

Dex
03-22-2021, 09:03 AM
Definitely not ready to trade Walker unless it’s really a no brainer. I’m still willing to be patient for White, but he’s concerning me a little. I know he’s coming off covid and he might have had it pretty nasty, but in his career, it feels like we’ve only seen flashes and not a ton of consistency, injuries or not.

I think that's what impresses me most about KJ. He is the youngest of the bunch with the least experience but doesn't seem afraid to take it upon himself to be a great player.

I feel like Lonnie and White sometimes just go through the motions hoping it will happen.

KobesAchilles
03-22-2021, 09:29 AM
Patience is fine but they are all coming up together to get paid at roughly the same time. Like how much is Lonnie worth? Do we sign him now or do we wait it out? Is Derrick always going to be injured? Can we move off him to dree up some more cap space? Do we re-sign Demar and hope for the continued improvement of the youth? If so, do we choose a more win now mode in going after Collins? Do we even want our draft pick this year considering how much youth we already have? These are legit questions that I have and patience might not be the best answer to any of them.

cjw
03-22-2021, 09:34 AM
Thank you, OP. People want overnight results with what’s been an on-the-fly rebuild. They are outperforming right now, but aren’t going to bet the farm in a shortsighted move. One of benefits of having this level of job security - among the most in sports - is you can afford patience vs. teams making stupid moves.

White has been down this year, but we have no idea how bad he had it with COVID (playing in the league is hard enough as is, and he barely got legs back under him when Covid hit). If he looks like this in a year, then let’s talk. He’s shown enough of being a winning player on both offensive and defensive ends to give benefit of doubt to. See the interest Lonzo and Smart are drawing? If White were ever available, he’d be in the same boat.

Walker has shown flashes where he could breakout, and while I still have my doubts he’ll ever get there, it’s very hard to move him unless as others have mentioned it’s a “no brainer”. Worst case, he’s a spark guy off bench. If his defense ever catches up, watch out.

TheChillFactor
03-22-2021, 09:47 AM
Is Derrick always going to be injured? These are legit questions that I have and patience might not be the best answer to any of them.

this is not a legit question lol. there is no answer to that unless you have a crystal ball.

i like your username haha

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2021, 11:05 AM
I think our mentality with the young pieces is that if we have an opportunity to significantly upgrade at a particular position that puts us in championship contention, that one or more of these guys could be part of that deal.

But, yeah, I love this young core the Spurs have assembled.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2021, 11:06 AM
You don't throw them in as trade fodder to move LMA and pick up another team's castoffs.

BatManu20
03-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Finally a decent thread. This is it.

RD2191
03-22-2021, 11:36 AM
Stfu OP. We want trades and we want them now!

BillMc
03-22-2021, 11:40 AM
You don't throw them in as trade fodder to move LMA and pick up another team's castoffs.
This.

And you don't take back big contracts for LMA. You're probably going to have to pay at least two of Lonnie, KJ, Luka, and Devin someday. Don't clog the cap.

EasyMoney
03-22-2021, 11:47 AM
People are too busy doing fantasy and making up trades right freaking now. Instead of, you know, focusing on the future.

ECOV
03-22-2021, 11:55 AM
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::fla g::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag: :flag::flag::flag::flag:

exstatic
03-22-2021, 12:11 PM
We’ve seen a LOT more from White than Walker. 30Pt playoff game, monster bubble.

John B
03-22-2021, 06:38 PM
I'm not about ready to give up on any of our young core. Everybody seems to be hard workers, and are just unlucky with the injuries (DJ, Lonnie, Derrick) which stunned their progress. I am a bit concern with Poeltl though. He strikes me as complacent and a bit lazy. If I could get a Jarret Allen, I would give Poeltl and a pick in a heart beat. I know Poeltl is a top 10 defensive player, but in my opinion, he could very well be a top 3-5 especially with Spurs defensive mantra.

Everybody else I find really solid. Keldon could be our next 20/10 if he learns to mix up his outside shooting and penetration. I like that he has great relationship with Demar. I hope he shows him some ropes, especially backing people. He could be a real offensive force.
Vassell, as Timvp rightfully call "The Natural," I think will be a great 2-way player. Scottie Pippen 2.0.
Lonnie is someone I got disappointed with his overly unselfishness and deferring. But he's shown glimpses of greatness. I think he is getting there.
Luka is someone who could be a very special player with his outside shooting, mobility and athleticism at his size. He would be a force to be reckoned with once he realized his potential.
DJ is a self-proclaimed Mamba, and I like that he thinks himself that way. He will be Spurs next Star.
White is a glue. He could plug in where he is most needed. He's responsible for Poeltl having a good game.
Tre is a solid defensive PG. He is a poor Andre Miller the very least.
Q is a good size guard and shown good plays in the Bubble. He's also someone's development got derailed. I wish he could improve as right now he's the odd man out.

Solid solid picks. If any, I would give up Poeltl to get another big with better offensive game.

TheChillFactor
03-22-2021, 06:54 PM
I'm not about ready to give up on any of our young core. Everybody seems to be hard workers, and are just unlucky with the injuries (DJ, Lonnie, Derrick) which stunned their progress. I am a bit concern with Poeltl though. He strikes me as complacent and a bit lazy. If I could get a Jarret Allen, I would give Poeltl and a pick in a heart beat. I know Poeltl is a top 10 defensive player, but in my opinion, he could very well be a top 3-5 especially with Spurs defensive mantra.

Everybody else I find really solid. Keldon could be our next 20/10 if he learns to mix up his outside shooting and penetration. I like that he has great relationship with Demar. I hope he shows him some ropes, especially backing people. He could be a real offensive force.
Vassell, as Timvp rightfully call "The Natural," I think will be a great 2-way player. Scottie Pippen 2.0.
Lonnie is someone I got disappointed with his overly unselfishness and deferring. But he's shown glimpses of greatness. I think he is getting there.
Luka is someone who could be a very special player with his outside shooting, mobility and athleticism at his size. He would be a force to be reckoned with once he realized his potential.
DJ is a self-proclaimed Mamba, and I like that he thinks himself that way. He will be Spurs next Star.
White is a glue. He could plug in where he is most needed. He's responsible for Poeltl having a good game.
Tre is a solid defensive PG. He is a poor Andre Miller the very least.
Q is a good size guard and shown good plays in the Bubble. He's also someone's development got derailed. I wish he could improve as right now he's the odd man out.

Solid solid picks. If any, I would give up Poeltl to get another big with better offensive game.

I wish Poeltl was a little better offensively and didn't get whistled every time he looked at someone. But the reporting is that Jarrett Allen may get a $100mm contract this summer. Poeltl is like 3/27.

That kind of contract would constrain our ability to sign other guys to bigger deals.

james evans
03-23-2021, 07:51 PM
I want to keep Walker, KJ, and White. The people I want gone are Gay, Mills, Defrozen, and Aldridge. and they can throw in poodle too.

Extra Stout
03-24-2021, 09:48 AM
There is a logjam of similar young players. Some of them will have to be discarded instead of paying them.

Several of these young players are nice, but are any of them foundational stars in the making? People realized Kawhi Leonard was special early on — even in 2013 his impact was obvious, and the team played noticeably worse when he had to sit out.

The current situation is more like it was when I was a child, when the Spurs had mediocre teams with young stars like Alvin Robertson amidst declining veterans like Mike Mitchell. Except today the coaching is better and none of the young stars appear to be dangerously low-character, so the Spurs are more like a .550 team than a .450 team.

But regardless, the wheels are just spinning until the next real star player shows up. Who knows how many years it will be.