PDA

View Full Version : Why the Marquese Chriss Trade is Tough to Swallow

timvp
03-25-2021, 04:22 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/why-the-spurs-trading-for-marquese-chriss-is-bad-news-for-spurs-fans/

:(

Dejounte
03-25-2021, 04:23 PM
Truly wonder what the Spurs will be up to this summer. Running it back with everybody? :lmao

TheGreatYacht
03-25-2021, 04:25 PM
Rudy Gay playing his cards to perfection tbh :lol

He’s gonna secure a loyalty contract this summer and can still ring chase because the Spurs have made it a tradition to buy out washed up vets every season

DAF86
03-25-2021, 04:27 PM
David, Tim, Manu, Tony. :worthy:

Chinook
03-25-2021, 04:28 PM
I'm telling you, this was bad. If Chriss were a young but not good player like Kabengele, that would be one thing. If this trade came with some type of Bird rights, that would be one thing. If getting cash added to the amount of cash a team could send out in a subsequent trade, that would one thing. But there's literally no basketball benefit to doing this, and it will make it hard for the Spurs to replace LMA with another player. Remember, they could've used this spot/money on a prospect the whole year and chose not to. It's bad. It's not a nothingburger. The only hope is that this is a one-time thing and not how the FO is going to (be forced to?) run from now on.

TimDunkem
03-25-2021, 04:29 PM
Rudy Gay playing his cards to perfection tbh :lol

He’s gonna secure a loyalty contract this summer and can still ring chase because the Spurs have made it a tradition to buy out washed up vets every season

Damn this seems pretty likely tbh.

DAF86
03-25-2021, 04:30 PM

The guy on your sig already licking his chops. :lol

Sugus
03-25-2021, 04:31 PM
I'm here for timvp's slow heel turn into a full-blown exhaler :hungry:

This season might finally be that breaking point that Forbes and Beli could never achieve :lol

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 04:33 PM
sniffvp turning back into timvp.

TimDunkem
03-25-2021, 04:33 PM
The guy on your sig already licking his chops. :lol

Oh he knows his future is secure. Dude will have his jersey retired here when all is said and done.

timvp
03-25-2021, 04:35 PM
I'm telling you, this was bad. If Chriss were a young but not good player like Kabengele, that would be one thing. If this trade came with some type of Bird rights, that would be one thing. If getting cash added to the amount of cash a team could send out in a subsequent trade, that would one thing. But there's literally no basketball benefit to doing this, and it will make it hard for the Spurs to replace LMA with another player. Remember, they could've used this spot/money on a prospect the whole year and chose not to. It's bad. It's not a nothingburger. The only hope is that this is a one-time thing and not how the FO is going to (be forced to?) run from now on.

Yeah, I can't come up with a positive angle other than the ownership made money. It's not even like the Spurs could have profited so much money in this trade that they could use that extra money to sign a player. The only thing restricting them is their room below the luxury tax ... and, no matter how you slice it, they have less room under the luxury tax after this trade.

For the sake of the fans, hopefully there's a domino we don't quite see yet like Aldridge giving back more than expected ... but even that doesn't really alter the match of this trade :depressed

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I can't come up with a positive angle other than the ownership made money. It's not even like the Spurs could have profited so much money in this trade that they could use that extra money to sign a player. The only thing restricting them is their room below the luxury tax ... and, no matter how you slice it, they have less room under the luxury tax after this trade.

For the sake of the fans, hopefully there's a domino we don't quite see yet like Aldridge giving back more than expected ... but even that doesn't really alter the match of this trade :depressed

Heard he's giving back ~$7Mil

objective
03-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Should change 'swallow' to 'sniff' in title

TheGreatYacht
03-25-2021, 04:37 PM
The damage control that will be done by the seat sniffers that day will be must-see :lol

cd98
03-25-2021, 04:40 PM
It's nice to know the Spurs helped a team, no matter how small, that is competing with them to get a playoff spot.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 04:43 PM
And before anyone cartwheels in here to say this trade is no longer bad because LMA gave back money, no. This trade is so much worse, because the Spurs didn't NEED to save the $100k and still chose to do it. It's not as damaging to the basketball side now, but it's just as troubling.

r0drig0lac
03-25-2021, 04:43 PM
The damage control that will be done by the seat sniffers that day will be must-see :lol

he is a good mentor for youngers and we take care of our guys, 60/3 is an very acceptable contract - patfo fluffer

PhantomDashCam
03-25-2021, 04:45 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/FKdLb84cneyoE/giphy.gif

slick'81
03-25-2021, 04:46 PM
It's nice to know the Spurs helped a team, no matter how small, that is competing with them to get a playoff spot.

For real:lmao gotta make sure kerr and co.can open a roster spot

SpursDynasty85
03-25-2021, 04:46 PM
I’m seeing this guy is 23 years old and a former 8 pick in 2016. He is also the perfect size player and relative skill set we are desiring. Outside shot he might workout?

I remember he played in a league game with Dejounte one year too.

slick'81
03-25-2021, 04:48 PM
I’m seeing this guy is 23 years old and a former 8 pick in 2016. He is also the perfect size player and relative skill set we are desiring. Outside shot he might workout?

Nope

TheGreatYacht
03-25-2021, 04:49 PM
he is a good mentor for youngers and we take care of our guys, 60/3 is an very acceptable contract - patfo fluffer
That was word for word what they said during Gasol :lmao might have to make a bingo card of excuses before then and see how many I cross off

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 04:50 PM

I remember he played in a league game with Dejounte one year too.

Nope. He's injured, out for the year, free agent after the season.

Light
03-25-2021, 04:52 PM
Meh. Not sure why people are acting like the sky is falling. As shitty as the trade is, it's just another "we like what we've got" move from the FO; which should be expected at this point.

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:04 PM
And before anyone cartwheels in here to say this trade is no longer bad because LMA gave back money, no. This trade is so much worse, because the Spurs didn't NEED to save the $100k and still chose to do it. It's not as damaging to the basketball side now, but it's just as troubling.

Yeah, I mean Aldridge giving back $7.25 million makes it somewhat more understandable ........... but the Spurs still have less to spend than they would without this money grab.

Now if the Spurs do nothing with the money and the roster spot(s), it's even worse than before, I agree. At the very least, they need to take a swing at a G Leaguer with their extra cash and roster spot. Especially since they desperately need as many bodies as possible right now.

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 05:05 PM
Truly wonder what the Spurs will be up to this summer. Running it back with everybody? :lmao

that‘s exactly what you should be expecting with an increased salary for the old guys

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 05:05 PM
SA let’s LMA go for nothing and helps MIA. They do a stupid trade just to help GS and owners. They don’t extend DDR and then don’t trade him.

How did it become so acceptable to be so inept and listless and directionless?

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 05:09 PM
SA let’s LMA go for nothing and helps MIA. They do a stupid trade just to help GS and owners. They don’t extend DDR and then don’t trade him.

Thanks to a fanbase that would gladly eat any shit sandwich they're given. Only a matter of time until shit hits the fan and the franchise is sold and moved.

Mugen
03-25-2021, 05:10 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FineCriminalBorer-small.gif

slick'81
03-25-2021, 05:11 PM

Its ny knicks level of ineptness.buy hey holts saved 7 mil...

gambit1990
03-25-2021, 05:25 PM
i didn't think it was a bad pickup tbh.

and then i found he'd be out for the season :lol

itzsoweezee
03-25-2021, 05:32 PM
The western conference Knicks :lmao

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:33 PM

For the record, this trade was about a 1 out of a scale to 10 before the Aldridge news. After the Aldridge news, it's still only about a 2 or a 3.

We'll see what happens going forward. There's a chance it all ends up making sense. But there's also a chance that this trade turns out to be the first hint that ownership is going to be hurtfully frugal going forward.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 05:35 PM
Its ny knicks level of ineptness.buy hey holts saved 7 mil...

At least the NY media calls them out on their mistakes. The sports media in San Antonio is terrified of Pop and his regime. It's nothing but puff pieces about classiness, culture, and wine.

timvp
03-25-2021, 05:41 PM
One tidbit I've just been told that I'm not even sure how to factor into the equation: Chriss' contract might be covered by insurance since he's out for the season. So ... I don't know if that means the Spurs can't waive him if they want his contract covered by insurance. I also don't know if that means that the Warriors didn't give the Spurs any extra money in the deal since the profit would come via insurance.

If the Spurs are stuck using a roster spot on him, that makes the trade even worse, IMO.

duncan2k5
03-25-2021, 05:43 PM
We have to accept that our FO is incompetent... Duncan hid it because no matter what crappy moves they did, we still won... But once he got older, u couldn't hide how bad they were... Other teams would have gotten a shit ton of picks by now... We traded a too 5 player for a loser and a first rounder... While other teams get several first round picks for less... We didn't trade gay for 2 2nd round picks? DeMar is playing us into the lottery again and more likely than not wants out, but we are keeping him around for what? To leave for nothing? We aren't a FO destination...

We gave Gasol a loyalty contract for snubbing us to go to the bulls when he was younger, just to come to us and stink it up when he was washed? We extended LMA who didn't wanna be here knowing his production would fall and he would be a hard sell later on... We overpay Mills for being a nice guy? We got duped in the Bertans situation... We overpay a guy that same season to keep him on the bench and end up buying him out... Wtf is going on in that front office?

duncan2150
One tidbit I've just been told that I'm not even sure how to factor into the equation: Chriss' contract might be covered by insurance since he's out for the season. So ... I don't know if that means the Spurs can't waive him if they want his contract covered by insurance. I also don't know if that means that the Warriors didn't give the Spurs any extra money in the deal since the profit would come via insurance.

If the Spurs are stuck using a roster spot on him, that makes the trade even worse, IMO.

Maybe they will cut Lyles but overall i agree with you. We'll see if something happens next days.

Robz4000

:lmao

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 05:46 PM
Spurs unable to waive Chriss combined with Aldridge only giving back $2.7 million would make this the worst trade deadline in Spurs history. Holy shit is that bad

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 05:54 PM
We have to accept that our FO is incompetent... Duncan hid it because no matter what crappy moves they did, we still won... But once he got older, u couldn't hide how bad they were... Other teams would have gotten a shit ton of picks by now... We traded a too 5 player for a loser and a first rounder... While other teams get several first round picks for less... We didn't trade gay for 2 2nd round picks? DeMar is playing us into the lottery again and more likely than not wants out, but we are keeping him around for what? To leave for nothing? We aren't a FO destination...

We gave Gasol a loyalty contract for snubbing us to go to the bulls when he was younger, just to come to us and stink it up when he was washed? We extended LMA who didn't wanna be here knowing his production would fall and he would be a hard sell later on... We overpay Mills for being a nice guy? We got duped in the Bertans situation... We overpay a guy that same season to keep him on the bench and end up buying him out... Wtf is going on in that front office?

A lot of wine drinking and talks about things that are bigger than basketball

Truckules
03-25-2021, 06:12 PM
Spurs unable to waive Chriss combined with Aldridge only giving back $2.7 million would make this the worst trade deadline in Spurs history. Holy shit is that bad

Whoever's been signing off on trades and free agency these past two seasons has to go. If it's Brian Wright, he has to go. If it's Pop, he has to step back. The past two years have been a straight up disaster for free agency and trades. It makes me worry about what they'll do this summer.

LakerHater
03-25-2021, 06:12 PM
2 2nd rnd draft picks for Fournier, Spurs coulda dun that!!
Shoulda dun that!

DesignatedT
03-25-2021, 06:13 PM
Ehh Spurs Management and GS management are close. Could have been as simple as GS asking SA to do them a solid while also getting to make some $ in the mean time. Don't understand the big freak out when there's no pattern of these type of moves. I believe Charlotte literally did the same thing.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:16 PM
Ehh Spurs Management and GS management are close. Could have been as simple as GS asking SA to do them a solid while also getting to make some $ in the mean time. Don't understand the big freak out when there's no pattern of these type of moves. I believe Charlotte literally did the same thing.

:lol and Charlotte has an awful FO

baseline bum
03-25-2021, 06:19 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Too_Hard_to_Swallow.jpg

DesignatedT
03-25-2021, 06:19 PM
:lol and Charlotte has an awful FO

Having a terrible FO wouldn't have anything to do with this move. This would be a move initiated by ownership.

Dverde
03-25-2021, 06:27 PM
2 2nd rnd draft picks for Fournier, Spurs coulda dun that!!
Shoulda dun that!

His contract is expiring this year and he’s a mediocre player. Celts got worked on that one.

duncan2150
03-25-2021, 06:27 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1375221441206087682

:huh

SAGirl
03-25-2021, 06:28 PM

Thanks for this info. Any chance they wanted to just get a look at Chris? Any chance they like him? I doubt it but who knows. He’s an athletic big and the team needs prospects... otherwise this whole thing doesn’t make sense to me...

Mugen
03-25-2021, 06:29 PM
Having a terrible FO wouldn't have anything to do with this move. This would be a move initiated by ownership.

Which is bad news for the FO tbh :lol

Mugen
03-25-2021, 06:30 PM
Thanks for this info. Any chance they wanted to just get a look at Chris? Any chance they like him? I doubt it but who knows. He’s an athletic big and the team needs prospects... otherwise this whole thing doesn’t make sense to me...

I'm not sure how much they can glean from Chriss looking like this at the moment tbh :lol
https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/young-man-with-broken-leg-in-wheelchair-vector-id1166342855

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:30 PM

Pop covering for ownership. This is a for profit move. Might fool the gullible morons on reddit and twitter tho.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:31 PM

:lol and MJ is a terrible owner. Regardless of how you spin it what SA did is what bad teams have done in the past.

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:33 PM

OMG, sounds like the Spurs can't waive him. The source was right :lmao :cry :depressed

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:35 PM
OMG, sounds like the Spurs can't waive him. The source was right :lmao :cry :depressed

:lmao exhale, my dude. Let out all the stank.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:36 PM

Undeniably a profit motive now, if insurance covers his contract when he’s injured and won’t be waived.

SAGirl
03-25-2021, 06:36 PM

Aldridge left out more tHan I would have expected. Does that change your analysis here?

RD2191
03-25-2021, 06:39 PM
:wakeup

KobesAchilles
We are going to be in the Minn and Sacramento area pretty soon. I expected it after Duncan retired but was spoiled we had Kawhi. But now it’s official, our front office is now bottom 5 in the WC and that is where we are going to sit unless we luck out and get our Luka

RC_Drunkford
:lol
so can we even sign anybody off the buy out market?

timvp

Maybe a premature reaction but why would Pop talk to Kerr about a player the Spurs would insta-waive? That doesn't make any sense. If the Spurs have to keep Chriss around to cash the insurance check, that's a bad, bad joke, tbh.

RD2191
03-25-2021, 06:40 PM
Someone check on my boy Chinook, he might be blind by now.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:41 PM
We are going to be in the Minn and Sacramento area pretty soon. I expected it after Duncan retired but was spoiled we had Kawhi. But now it’s official, our front office is now bottom 5 in the WC and that is where we are going to sit unless we luck out and get our Luka

Bottom 3 tbh. Only teams worse at this point are the two you mentioned.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 06:41 PM
Someone check on my boy Chinook, he might be blind by now.

RIP :depressed

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:42 PM

No. He's been easily available for a long time. This is only money related.

Aldridge left out more tHan I would have expected. Does that change your analysis here?

$7.2 million changed it. $2.7 million? Eh, not really. $2.7 million and stuck with Chriss the rest of the season? Makes the deal even worse, tbh.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:45 PM

$7.2 million changed it. $2.7 million? Eh, not really. $2.7 million and stuck with Chriss the rest of the season? Makes the deal even worse, tbh.

I saw your Marquese Chris article was removed from Spurs Reddit but the Trey Lyles almost-trade wasn’t, are they trying to suppress any info regarding the move being a money grab?

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:46 PM
I saw your Marquese Chris article was removed from Spurs Reddit, are they trying to suppress any info regarding the move being a money grab?

I don't go on Spurs Reddit; wouldn't know.

PhantomDashCam
03-25-2021, 06:46 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1375220831400382481?s=20https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1375220831400382481?s=20

Just looks like propaganda at this point. Pop can barely keep a straight face.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:47 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1375220831400382481?s=20https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1375220831400382481?s=20

Is he blinking in Morse code?

SAGirl
03-25-2021, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure how much they can glean from Chriss looking like this at the moment tbh :lol
https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/young-man-with-broken-leg-in-wheelchair-vector-id1166342855
Yeah.. I didn’t know about him being a FA in the summer... thought maybe they’d get bird rights or something... thanks for the colorful picture though some guys have forgotten the sense of humor this place used to make more jokes and I missed that :bobo

timvp
03-25-2021, 06:51 PM

"It was a money trade" Cool so far :tu

"We just need to get him healthy and see what happens" OMG, they really traded for insurance money, didn't they :wow

duncan2150
03-25-2021, 06:54 PM
"It was a money trade" Cool so far :tu

"We just need to get him healthy and see what happens" OMG, they really traded for insurance money, didn't they :wow

Yes they did and that's official with what pop said

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 06:55 PM
I saw your Marquese Chris article was removed from Spurs Reddit but the Trey Lyles almost-trade wasn’t, are they trying to suppress any info regarding the move being a money grab?

Spurs reddit is an echo chamber of the most diehard optimists. The mods there won't allow you to criticize the players, coaches, front office, or ownership. Ironically, they whine about Spurstalk being a shithole that needs better mods when they're the ones censoring information to push a narrative.

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 06:58 PM
Spurs reddit is an echo chamber of the most diehard optimists. The mods there won't allow you to criticize the players, coaches, front office, or ownership. Ironically, they whine about Spurstalk being a shithole that needs better mods when they're the ones censoring information to push a narrative.

Yeah I don’t use Spurs Reddit at all, I hate that place. Too much of a “Spurs can do no wrong” attitude.

SAGirl
03-25-2021, 06:59 PM
Wow Pop admitting it was a money transaction. You know what’s bad? That this is the money transaction, not trading some over the hill vets before the wheels came off the radiator busted and the engine blew up. Compared to those other lack of moves, this seems like a pea in the pod.

Chomag
03-25-2021, 07:06 PM
Its all up to our current core of young players to get better and put the team on the next level because this FO sure won't help them....damn man our Fo is dumb

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 07:09 PM

Yup, the stuttering and constant blinking indicates that he doesn't believe a word coming out of his own mouth. Ownership told him to run damage control for this trade

timvp
03-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Confirmed that Chriss is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. If he were a restricted free agent, keeping him around might make a little bit of sense. But he's unrestricted so the only reason to not waive him is insurance money.

Joseph Kony
03-25-2021, 07:10 PM
:lmao :lmao fucking embarrassing man. Can't wait to see the retarded shit PATFO do in the summer

gambit1990
03-25-2021, 07:12 PM
ONE bright spot: sign and trading demar in the offseason... if he doesn't request to be bought out first :lmao

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 07:18 PM
ONE bright spot: sign and trading demar in the offseason... if he doesn't request to be bought out first :lmao

Toronto has the cap space to sign him outright. He's walking for nothing (:lol if he isn't bought out, of course).

Darius Bieber
03-25-2021, 07:34 PM
Sean just said it was clear what the Spurs were doing on their trade on the telecast.. Is he also throwing shade at the money grabbing?

The Truth #6
03-25-2021, 07:35 PM
Is he blinking in Morse code?

Yes. T-O-R-T-U-R-E.

https://youtu.be/rufnWLVQcKg

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 07:35 PM
Sean just said it was clear what the Spurs were doing on their trade on the telecast.. Is he also throwing shade at the money grabbing?

Would be nice if someone spoke out against PATFO tbh.

JuneJive
03-25-2021, 07:38 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Like that roster spot would be used on some impactful player.

Financial issues? Could be, but it's not hurting the team in any meaningful way.

baseline bum
03-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Confirmed that Chriss is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. If he were a restricted free agent, keeping him around might make a little bit of sense. But he's unrestricted so the only reason to not waive him is insurance money.

Damn man, really miss the days when it was the good Peter Holt owning the team.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 07:48 PM
Damn man, really miss the days when it was the good Peter Holt owning the team.

Seems like the Holt children are only using the team to make money. That hedge fund buying into the Spurs makes sense now.

Chomag
03-25-2021, 07:49 PM
So all Spurs Fo has to show after the trade deadline is a scrub with a broken leg? Please someone defend this!

The Truth #6
03-25-2021, 07:53 PM
Ownership, FO, and coaching need to be on the same page to succeed. Right now sounds like a bunch of different goals. Sigh.

Sugus
03-25-2021, 07:53 PM

This is actually a really good silver lining - if the move is penny-pinching, it really lowers the probability of DeMar being offered a big deal this summer. Let the guy walk off to greener pastures... Much better than having to watch him on the team, tbh

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 07:57 PM
Ownership, FO, and coaching need to be on the same page to succeed. Right now sounds like a bunch of different goals. Sigh.

I imagine Peter Holt gave some leeway to PATFO as long as they stayed under the lux tax. Seems like his son is more into the Sarver style of ownership.

ginobilized
03-25-2021, 08:05 PM
This is so crappy if that’s all there is to the scenario. Our FO incompetence is kinda bailed out by this ownership approach.
Very sad and doesn’t bode well for basketball success. Maybe they are trying to sell?
Deflating as a fan. What message are they sending the players and coaches?

K...
03-25-2021, 08:10 PM
there's going to be a massive power grab after pop retires. I just hope they hire a strong coach to succeed and stand up to ownership, but who we kidding.

poopbox
03-25-2021, 08:17 PM
Turning into the phoenix suns without the lottery picks tbh

Chinook
03-25-2021, 08:34 PM
It's crazy that some folks are still coming in here and arguing this isn't a big deal. This trade is deeply horrifying with the news that the Spurs will have to keep Chriss on the roster to realize savings. It's one thing to sell salary space you don't think you'll need for a bit of extra cash. That was bad enough to be a huge cause for concern. It's so, so, SOOOOOO much worse to encumber a roster spot for the rest of a season to give the owners a few hundred thousand bucks. That's completely and selfishly hamstringing your front office for what is ultimately a drop-in-the-bucket amount of cash. It takes it from a trade where you start to question the Spurs' character to where you no longer question the character because you know how bad it is. Any action the Spurs take so long as this current ownership group remains has to be interpreted in the least generous lens as possible.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 08:37 PM
It's crazy that some folks are still coming in here and arguing this isn't a big deal. This trade is deeply horrifying with the news that the Spurs will have to keep Chriss on the roster to realize savings. It's one thing to sell salary space you don't think you'll need for a bit of extra cash. That was bad enough to be a huge cause for concern. It's so, so, SOOOOOO much worse to encumber a roster spot for the rest of a season to give the owners a few hundred thousand bucks. That's completely and selfishly hamstringing your front office for what is ultimately a drop-in-the-bucket amount of cash. It takes it from a trade where you start to question the Spurs' character to where you no longer question the character because you know how bad it is. Any action the Spurs take so long as this current ownership group remains has to be interpreted in the least generous lens as possible.

Don't tell sniffers that, bruh. They'll call out your fanhood.

JuneJive
03-25-2021, 08:38 PM
Tell me, from a basketball perspective, what kind of damage was done?

How does this deal impact the team?

What kind of upgrade could be had instead?

Teamduncan21
03-25-2021, 08:41 PM

While in principle it's bad (selling out for some cash) but is there really anyone from the buy out market who has big enough of an impact who has chance to sign with spurs? It's a 13-15th man roster spot. They won't really change the team that much. The team has a lot of gaps and a random 15th man is not going to fill even partially that gap.
Next year we have many expiring contracts. So we will get roster spots anyway. And we can trade away chris's as a salary filler for any sign and trade if any.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Tell me, from a basketball perspective, what kind of damage was done?

How does this deal impact the team?

What kind of upgrade could be had instead?

They lost a roster spot that could've been used to check out a G-league/Euro/China prospect or just to sign a body that could play some minutes to spell some of the legit players on this roster. Team desperately needs another big but now they can't get one.

JuneJive
03-25-2021, 08:45 PM
They lost a roster spot that could've been used to check out a G-league/Euro/China prospect or just to sign a body that could play some minutes to spell some of the legit players on this roster. Team desperately needs another big but now they can't get one.

And all that wrist cutting for that?

An end of bench type of player / long shot prospect.

Give me a break.

Teamduncan21
03-25-2021, 08:49 PM

Pop isn't even playing luka. The random euroleague guy won't get minutes anyway.

It seems an overreaction cause everyone is hoping for some derozan trade (and to a smaller degree aldridge) then we ended up with chris's. But at a high level point of view. Seems doesn't matter as much.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 08:49 PM
And all that wrist cutting for that?

An end of bench type of player / long shot prospect.

Give me a break.

You asked how it affected things from a basketball perspective and I gave you one of several reasons. It also sends a message to the team that the ownership cares more about making a profit than winning. As Chinook said, the big thing is it shows a mentality by the FO to be cheap in order to maximize profits. This is shit that the Suns used to pull back in the day that nearly sunk their franchise.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Pop isn't even playing luka. The random euroleague guy won't get minutes anyway.

It seems an overreaction cause everyone is hoping for some derozan trade (and to a smaller degree aldridge) then we ended up with chris's. But at a high level point of view. Seems doesn't matter as much.

At some point said scrub would play because the Spurs are gonna be resting plenty of players with the brutal second half schedule. You also need an extra body for injury insurance. Would suck for the Spurs to be forced to play someone banged up due to COVID taking out half the roster and said player suffering a more serious injury.

Kurgan
03-25-2021, 08:53 PM
You asked how it affected things from a basketball perspective and I gave you one of several reasons. It also sends a message to the team that the ownership cares more about making a profit than winning. As Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) said, the big thing is it shows a mentality by the FO to be cheap in order to maximize profits. This is shit that the Suns used to pull back in the day that nearly sunk their franchise.

Yup, the scary part isn't what they just did but what they may not be doing. If they're willing to whore out a roster spot just to make a couple hundred grand, who knows what moves they're turning down behind the scenes just to save money. It indicates an ownership that no longer cares about building towards something longterm(like a title) and more about short term profit being a priority.

RC_Drunkford
03-25-2021, 09:08 PM

They still have an open roster spot. We always had a 14 man roster, LA is gone Chriss is in. Still one spot left

Rummpd
03-25-2021, 09:08 PM
Total fail by this current joke of a free office on all stars and so called superstars

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 09:09 PM
They still have an open roster spot. We always had a 14 man roster, LA is gone Chriss is in. Still one spot left

They don't have any money to spend on it, if they do they go into the luxury tax.

Chinook
03-25-2021, 09:31 PM
They don't have any money to spend on it, if they do they go into the luxury tax.

They actually do have the money -- or at least the salary space. Whether that means they'll use the salary or just continue to pocket the money is anyone's guess.

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 09:32 PM
They actually do have the money -- or at least the salary space. Whether that means they'll use the salary or just continue to pocket the money is anyone's guess.

How much, exactly?

Chinook
03-25-2021, 09:36 PM
Also, how did this deal even come about? Why were the Spurs even looking at selling a roster spot and/or salary space? What were the Spurs projecting to other teams during these deadline discussions? What were they telling them their priorities were? Since when are the Spurs a team other clubs call for salary dumps?

Chinook
03-25-2021, 09:37 PM
How much, exactly?

timvp says about $1.8 Million

Robz4000
03-25-2021, 09:38 PM
timvp says about $1.8 Million

Not enough to get anyone interesting then.

MarCowMar
03-25-2021, 09:56 PM
For a team that prides itself on culture and family, this feels about like adopting a kid for the monthly paycheck...

slick'81
03-25-2021, 09:58 PM
Not enough to get anyone interesting then.

there really is no silver lining here

The Truth #6
03-25-2021, 10:08 PM
Is this when the team takes a look at Renfro?

LCM
03-25-2021, 10:44 PM
There is an article that says Chriss was rehabbing at the Warrior facility, hasn't done any basketball work, was just taking walking steps a month prior, and this article came out two weeks ago. You will be lucky if he is doing 5 on 5 by training camp. And the one thing about Chriss is his leaping ability offensively and defensively in attacking the rim. How much of that is compromised?? If Chriss is resigned on a 2 year deal, second year team option or non guaranteed, like Lyles contract, then one thing is clear. The Spurs aren't going after Markkanen, Collins, or any Free Agents much less trades involving NBA level talent to use cap space to acquire picks. Samanic is Markkanen cheap, Chriss is Collins cheap, Mitoglu is Vooch (yes its hyperbolic but I'm pissed!!!) CHEAP!!!!

DeRozen doesn't need to walk he needs to RUN for the exit!!! I hoped ownership would help lead this franchise in a more modern direction and BE COMPETITIVE in today's NBA. If you wanted to cut costs so much, you got an over priced HC/Head of Player Personnel you could have canned YESTERDAY!!!! Throw in that puppet of a GM along with him!! But then all eyes would be on you, the Holts, the owners who fired Popovich!! What are you going to do now?? You don't want that focus, Pop takes it for you. You're just in it for the money, I own a 5 TIME NBA CHAMPION. You Holts own nothing!!! You sell the Silver Stars, the Rampage ... you're selling pieces of the Spurs, now you're selling roster spots, and disgruntled players now exactly where to hurt you on their way out the door, the pocket book ...

The Spurs missed the playoffs 4 times in 40 DAMN YEARS!!!! That is about a lot of people in that organization and fans in San Antonio who bent over backwards and forwards, giving their lives and fortunes to support this team through all the successes and failures. That was their choice, no one forced them. But, no one has to continue putting money into your stinking pockets, HOLTS. NO TICKETS, NO MERCH, NO PARKING, NO CONSESSIONS!!! You have to show this team, this organization, this town that YOU are going to lead a winning franchise, PERIOD!! Otherwise you'll never get another red cent from me ... you can go choke on China's TV rights money.

Dex
03-25-2021, 11:05 PM
There is an article that says Chriss was rehabbing at the Warrior facility, hasn't done any basketball work, was just taking walking steps a month prior, and this article came out two weeks ago. You will be lucky if he is doing 5 on 5 by training camp. And the one thing about Chriss is his leaping ability offensively and defensively in attacking the rim. How much of that is compromised?? If Chriss is resigned on a 2 year deal, second year team option or non guaranteed, like Lyles contract, then one thing is clear. The Spurs aren't going after Markkanen, Collins, or any Free Agents much less trades involving NBA level talent to use cap space to acquire picks. Samanic is Markkanen cheap, Chriss is Collins cheap, Mitoglu is Vooch (yes its hyperbolic but I'm pissed!!!) CHEAP!!!!

DeRozen doesn't need to walk he needs to RUN for the exit!!! I hoped ownership would help lead this franchise in a more modern direction and BE COMPETITIVE in today's NBA. If you wanted to cut costs so much, you got an over priced HC/Head of Player Personnel you could have canned YESTERDAY!!!! Throw in that puppet of a GM along with him!! But then all eyes would be on you, the Holts, the owners who fired Popovich!! What are you going to do now?? You don't want that focus, Pop takes it for you. You're just in it for the money, I own a 5 TIME NBA CHAMPION. You Holts own nothing!!! You sell the Silver Stars, the Rampage ... you're selling pieces of the Spurs, now you're selling roster spots, and disgruntled players now exactly where to hurt you on their way out the door, the pocket book ...

The Spurs missed the playoffs 4 times in 40 DAMN YEARS!!!! That is about a lot of people in that organization and fans in San Antonio who bent over backwards and forwards, giving their lives and fortunes to support this team through all the successes and failures. That was their choice, no one forced them. But, no one has to continue putting money into your stinking pockets, HOLTS. NO TICKETS, NO MERCH, NO PARKING, NO CONSESSIONS!!! You have to show this team, this organization, this town that YOU are going to lead a winning franchise, PERIOD!! Otherwise you'll never get another red cent from me ... you can go choke on China's TV rights money.

Didn't realize Trump was moonlighting on SpursTalk now.

DPG21920
03-25-2021, 11:55 PM
Also, how did this deal even come about? Why were the Spurs even looking at selling a roster spot and/or salary space? What were the Spurs projecting to other teams during these deadline discussions? What were they telling them their priorities were? Since when are the Spurs a team other clubs call for salary dumps?

And how the hell can you not even net a pick when you have all the leverage and are saving a team more money than it costs to buy a pick :lol

ace3g
03-26-2021, 12:06 AM
And how the hell can you not even net a pick when you have all the leverage and are saving a team more money than it costs to buy a pick :lol

Yep, the fact we couldn't even get a draft pick in a trade is sad.

gospursgojas
03-26-2021, 12:31 AM

Sadly, it paints a picture of Spurs FO working harder this deadline (taking salary dump calls, buying out players, etc) to save money than to make team better. Priorities.

Degoat
03-26-2021, 12:39 AM
I’m probably in a loser denial phase but as much as I’m disappointed in the spurs, Marquese Chriss is sort of an intriguing big to add to the core if he regains form and matures after he recovers from injury

Robz4000
03-26-2021, 12:43 AM
I’m probably in a loser denial phase but as much as I’m disappointed in the spurs, Marquese Chriss is sort of an intriguing big to add to the core if he regains form and matures after he recovers from injury

Even if that happens he won't be playing here. He's an unrestricted free agent after this year.

Degoat
03-26-2021, 12:47 AM
Even if that happens he won't be playing here. He's an unrestricted free agent after this year.

He won’t have many options coming off injury imo, spurs could keep him cheap probably on a minimum deal to see if he can provide anything. Pretty sure him and dejounte were close since they were teammates in college together

ElNono
03-26-2021, 03:37 AM
He won’t have many options coming off injury imo, spurs could keep him cheap probably on a minimum deal to see if he can provide anything. Pretty sure him and dejounte were close since they were teammates in college together

Resigning him will cost up to ~10m (105% league avg salary). In other words, while the Spurs have his early bird rights, he's cheap enough for any team to take a flyer on him.

GreekSpursfan
03-26-2021, 03:50 AM
Non issue, we are gonna suck anyway for the next few years. This is probably Pops last season as a head coach and i don't think Becky or whoever else is gonna change our fortunes for the foreseeable future.

rankingtear
03-26-2021, 04:10 AM
Does this signal that the ownership can't afford a tank?

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 04:14 AM
Does this signal that the ownership can't afford a tank?

Or does it signal the opposite - that they don't feel this season is worth investing in, and that it's okay if the team sucks?

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 05:29 AM

Knew nothing about this guy, so read around a little bit. I understand it was a money transaction, but is there truly no chance for him to sign with the Spurs next season? Some Warriors fans seem genuinely pissed that their team let him go. Really wondering why as I thought he was just some end of the bench scrub. They apparently want their team to sign him again (one suggested a 3 year deal) when he becomes a free agent. I'm sitting here and asking myself why?

https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/md87qk/how_realistic_is_marquese_chriss_return/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/1375303975646371846?s=19
https://twitter.com/Esther35362570/status/1375302029791297539?s=19

https://twitter.com/sominslc1/status/1375295255608619008?s=19

https://twitter.com/beepbooty/status/1375219274596315139?s=19
https://twitter.com/ForeignAdamm/status/1375183178227458049?s=19

https://twitter.com/fredelicioso/status/1375177493645119489?s=19

Not sure what all the fuss is about and makes me think if Lyles had been let go, it wouldn't have the same reception.

Fat chance the trade was anything more than a money deal, but if Marquese is a decent player as what others indicated, could the Spurs use this time he has with the team to court him and get him acquainted with the players and staff? Anything to replace the wretched Eubanks as a backup big next season.

Thanks

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 05:44 AM
Found this interesting read on Marquese:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2065568&start=280

Truckules
03-26-2021, 08:13 AM
Knew nothing about this guy, so read around a little bit. I understand it was a money transaction, but is there truly no chance for him to sign with the Spurs next season? Some Warriors fans seem genuinely pissed that their team let him go. Really wondering why as I thought he was just some end of the bench scrub. They apparently want their team to sign him again (one suggested a 3 year deal) when he becomes a free agent. I'm sitting here and asking myself why?

https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/md87qk/how_realistic_is_marquese_chriss_return/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/1375303975646371846?s=19
https://twitter.com/Esther35362570/status/1375302029791297539?s=19

https://twitter.com/sominslc1/status/1375295255608619008?s=19

https://twitter.com/beepbooty/status/1375219274596315139?s=19
https://twitter.com/ForeignAdamm/status/1375183178227458049?s=19

https://twitter.com/fredelicioso/status/1375177493645119489?s=19

Not sure what all the fuss is about and makes me think if Lyles had been let go, it wouldn't have the same reception.

Fat chance the trade was anything more than a money deal, but if Marquese is a decent player as what others indicated, could the Spurs use this time he has with the team to court him and get him acquainted with the players and staff? Anything to replace the wretched Eubanks as a backup big next season.

Thanks

He was arguably the Warriors best player last season as a 22 year old. The Warriors made him the starting center in late January, and he excelled in that role. He'd be fantastic as a backup C and could develop into a high quality starter. However, acquiring him now gives the Spurs no advantage to signing him this offseason so there's no reason for this move other than money.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 08:26 AM
He was arguably the Warriors best player last season as a 22 year old. The Warriors made him the starting center in late January, and he excelled in that role. He'd be fantastic as a backup C and could develop into a high quality starter. However, acquiring him now gives the Spurs no advantage to signing him this offseason so there's no reason for this move other than money.

Yes, I'm aware the Spurs won't have bird rights nor will Chriss be a restricted free agent. In the end, it's up to Chriss where he signs and my question is if his time becoming familiar with the Spurs' program will give him more comfort to sign with them instead of another team.

SpursDynasty85
03-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Apparently the guy is loyal and if he likes where he is at he is willing to take a pay cut. He will be rehabbing with the Spurs and eventually being a part of the practices of not already. There is an advantage to acquiring him to resign him. He also knows DJ pretty well too.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 09:05 AM
Apparently the guy is loyal and if he likes where he is at he is willing to take a pay cut. He will be rehabbing with the Spurs and eventually being a part of the practices of not already. There is an advantage to acquiring him to resign him. He also knows DJ pretty well too.

He has posted several photos with DJ during their Washington days since being traded.

Dverde
03-26-2021, 09:31 AM
Further proof how insufferable Warrior fans are. They bitching about having Wiseman :lol

TheChillFactor
03-26-2021, 09:33 AM

because the Warriors have as many dumbfuck fans as the Spurs do...people bitching about 3rd rate players in a year where we'll probably wind up with the 10th spot in the conference...:downspin:

Chinook
03-26-2021, 09:35 AM
So the Spurs could keep Chriss in the building and rehab him and all that shit after waiving him. There's still not a basketball reason to do this trade. The "sniffer" point of view should be to just hope this was a one-off rather than trying to dress this trade up. It happened. Now we just have to try to move forward with the team.

SpurSpike
03-26-2021, 09:39 AM
I'm trying to look at the bright side here. Seems like a good dude, if the plan was to get him over here and convince him to stay for cheap then its not as bad as it looks at 1st. He has NBA experience and is young enough to fit with our timeline, a little polish and he could be a serviceable LMA replacement next year. The fact that him and DJ played together in college is a bonus to team chemistry.

duncan2k5
03-26-2021, 09:44 AM
I do like him and hope he stays... But most likely wont

Dex
03-26-2021, 09:47 AM

And the Spurs end up with the corpse of Marquese Chriss.

pad300
03-26-2021, 10:58 AM
Why are people freaking over this? You cannot expect a for-profit organization (which the Spurs are), to pass on free money.

Chriss's salary is covered by insurance. The Spurs got paid. Cash considerations, could be up to $5 million. This is saving the warriors something on the order of 20 million in lux tax, see the table at the bottom here This (https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/11/nba-luxury-tax/). The warriors are $40M + over... if they can save $20M by paying $5M, they'll do it too.

Does it hurt the Spurs as a basketball team, NO. They still have a roster spot (LMA has been bought out) to check out D leaguer's and 10 day guys... And given LMA gave some money back, enough salary cap space to do something if they want to.

R. DeMurre
03-26-2021, 11:04 AM
Chriss was on my pre-season list of guys to watch. After three seasons of terrible advanced stats (see: Lonnie Walker), he actually had a bit of a positive showing last season-- at age 22-- and it was the first hint that he could possibly develop into a real player.

Still, I have to agree that the Spurs as an organization are looking pretty bad at the moment. Players & agents reading about Aldridge (& listening to Richard Jefferson do analysis) will see that he was never very happy in San Antonio. Players looking at the Kawhi saga will likely feel skeptical. Stars hoping for an all in approach from ownership are going to feel like this is a team more concerned with saving money than making great basketball moves. The aura of the Spurs being a little smarter than everyone else has probably also taken a hit too I think, with many people watching in wonder as the idea of emphasizing the mid-range game or having mediocre/poor defenders like DeRozan/Forbes/Mills on the floor at the same time became commonplace, against all conventional wisdom.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 11:22 AM
Why are people freaking over this? You cannot expect a for-profit organization (which the Spurs are), to pass on free money.

Chriss's salary is covered by insurance. The Spurs got paid. Cash considerations, could be up to $5 million. This is saving the warriors something on the order of 20 million in lux tax, see the table at the bottom here This (https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/11/nba-luxury-tax/). The warriors are $40M + over... if they can save $20M by paying $5M, they'll do it too.

Does it hurt the Spurs as a basketball team, NO. They still have a roster spot (LMA has been bought out) to check out D leaguer's and 10 day guys... And given LMA gave some money back, enough salary cap space to do something if they want to.

Before all this hoopla happened, I had been hoping for the Spurs to pursue a g-league player (namely Renfro) and not a magical Euro player like Donatas Motiejunas or a washed up vet that gets bought out (though Dieng would be nice). Wasn't expecting much from a 15th man at all.

Chriss was on my pre-season list of guys to watch. After three seasons of terrible advanced stats (see: Lonnie Walker), he actually had a bit of a positive showing last season-- at age 22-- and it was the first hint that he could possibly develop into a real player.

Marquese mentioned it himself that he's come to the realization that the Center spot is better suited for his skills, so that may be the reason for the increased production.

I think like Chinook said: it's time to look forward. We all know nobody's going to stop being a Spurs fan anytime soon. Let's all look at players who might be a good fit for the team this upcoming free agency. Chriss might be one.

Maddog
03-26-2021, 11:37 AM

Still, I have to agree that the Spurs as an organization are looking pretty bad at the moment. Players & agents reading about Aldridge (& listening to Richard Jefferson do analysis) will see that he was never very happy in San Antonio. Players looking at the Kawhi saga will likely feel skeptical. Stars hoping for an all in approach from ownership are going to feel like this is a team more concerned with saving money than making great basketball moves. The aura of the Spurs being a little smarter than everyone else has probably also taken a hit too I think, with many people watching in wonder as the idea of emphasizing the mid-range game or having mediocre/poor defenders like DeRozan/Forbes/Mills on the floor at the same time became commonplace, against all conventional wisdom.

Stars are looking for an opportunity to 1. Team up with other Stars and or increase the value of their brand. They are not and never have looked at SA as a destination. The Spurs have had only one significant free agent signing- LMA.
I doubt players and agents will look at the LMA saga and think negative about the SPurs as they really have treated him well even at the end.

The Spurs are and will be continued to be hampered by market and ownership.

They are hampered because SA is a small market-
22nd in population, 32 in GDP

Ownership-
This is a little fuzzy- but the Spurs do not have multi-billion worth owners who are willing/able to go significantly into the luxury tax when need be.

The Spurs have been hosed in the past by players before Nephew and LMA. Think Derek Anderson, Lamond Murray

My only critique currently is they are trying to thread a needle- rebuild while making the playoffs.
We'll see what happens over the summer

Chinook
03-26-2021, 11:39 AM

So let me explain it this way:

Let's assume two things: 1) The price of vodka in the US is fixed and 2) The Spurs, instead of being a basketball team, sold vodka

All right, so the Spurs are selling vodka, and they have a great rep doing so. Critics by and large considers their product to be one of the best in the US. But they don't have the same outreach as richer brands who can afford the higher advertising, have celebrity spokespeople, whatever. So the Spurs remain in business by carefully controlling how much vodka they make. During great years, they might exceed their quota, but by and large they stay within their limits. Then they ownership of changes and you see a report that the Spurs are putting small amounts of water in each bottle so that they can sell more bottles while making the same amount of alcohol. The amount of water is probably so small that it doesn't make a functional difference to the effectiveness of the alcohol, so the product legit getting worse is probably not the result.

But does that mean that it wouldn't affect consumer confidence? Obviously not. The rep for good, pure vodka is the reason why the product sold. Marketing is marketing. If the Spurs were doing things like Fiesta vodka or military appreciation vodka, that's fine. If the Spurs paid to have their vodka show up on stupid shows or commercials, that's fine. If the Spurs tried diversifying their portfolio and selling shitty beer in addition to the vodka, that's fine. All that is just business. Shit, even changing the process of making the vodka because you think consumers would like it more but fucking it up is business. But watering it down? That's not just business. That's business compromising the product for no other end but to make a tiny bit more money. Even if it's not yet noticeable in the strength of the drink, it's alarming.

That hypothetical Spurs can't afford to be known for making shitty vodka. Anyone with a brain on the business side should know their product is sacred, and the production can't be a source to extract a bit more money. The wall between production and finances has to be kept intact, because the latter depends on the former. The same thing is true for the real Spurs. They can't afford to be a team with shitty meddling owners who constantly take functionality from the front office to squeeze a bit of profit. If they lose their rep as a first-class organization and instead become a team with shitty, short-sighted and frugal management, they'll lose the very thing that allows their product to exist. They'll be right back in the same spot they were in before Duncan. Even Robinson wasn't enough to keep the Spurs from leaving due to having a shitty owner. Shit, Dave was almost sold off himself. They look to be heading right back there now. The reason why the Vegas or Seattle comments didn't have weight before was because we could expect the ownership and management to figure out a way to make the transition process work. Now, we can't even trust them to not game their roster for pennies.

rjv
03-26-2021, 11:45 AM

the only area in which the spurs still hold some high regard is in regards to the development of younger players and the draft but that window is growing smaller. how this young core looks over the next two seasons will tell us whether the spurs model of development is one of the best or not. of course, how they use their cap money this summer, in regards to bringing in additional players that would blend well with this team (because DDR and Gay are not ideal fits), may impact the ability of this younger core to realize its maximum potential.

Chinook
03-26-2021, 11:47 AM
The Spurs should make their money off marketing their product, not off cheapening their product to make quick cash. Their consuming their seed stock. This one move isn't enough to ruin their harvest forever, but it's troubling.

HankChinaski
03-26-2021, 11:53 AM
I'm just waiting for the off season to see where the organization goes from there.

Outlook isn't favorable at this moment, the backlash will be legendary after the draft and free agency. This place might just implode with the diarrhea whine takes.

Should be interesting to see the response.

Russ
03-26-2021, 12:08 PM

These are the little things the Spurs do that opposing GMs understand but Spurs fans don't (until things work out, for some apparently lucky reason, and they all start waiving their pennants).

Russ
03-26-2021, 12:24 PM

GS got Wiseman and no longer had any reason to patiently nurse Chriss back to health. Kerr is clearly doing Pop a favor -- relationships do actually matter, at times.

This is a typical no risk possibly high return Spurs move. Emphasis on the no risk.

You make enough of those moves over time and you end up ahead. And no one knows why.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 01:10 PM
Found this interesting read on Marquese:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2065568&start=280

interesting, seems like has improved a lot from his Phoenix days. I always thought he was worth taking a flier on and he's certainly better than Eubanks, but I can't get over the broken leg thing.

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 01:19 PM
interesting, seems like has improved a lot from his Phoenix days. I always thought he was worth taking a flier on and he's certainly better than Eubanks, but I can't get over the broken leg thing.

I think players who had the same injury, fractured tibia (or worse) are the following:

Gordon Hayward
Paul George
Shaun Livingston
Julius Randle

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 01:21 PM
I think players who had the same injury, fractured tibia (or worse) are the following:

Gordon Hayward
Paul George
Shaun Livingston
Julius Randle

you can definitely recover from it, but it takes a while. But why sign him when he's on an expiring with a broken leg? Do they want to resign him? I'm curious to see if they will let him walk or maybe offer him a 2-way deal

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 01:23 PM
you can definitely recover from it, but it takes a while. But why sign him when he's on an expiring with a broken leg? Do they want to resign him? I'm curious to see if they will let him walk or maybe offer him a 2-way deal

Not sure, but from the little I've seen, he seems close to ideal to what we want from the backup C position provided he makes a full recovery. The guy can shoot 3s.

timvp
03-26-2021, 01:24 PM

Chriss jumps high and does cool dunks so he has his fans. Just like there were Spurs fans up in arms when the Spurs let go of James White and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. I wouldn't put too much stock in that, tbh.

For the record, I wouldn't be upset if the Spurs re-sign him. He's young and his elite athleticism makes him more interesting than a typical end of the bench project.

That said, I wouldn't go much higher than a minimum contract to sign him. He's been a hugely negative impact player so far in his career. Chriss was a spectacular bust for a Suns team that traded a whole lot to get him. Low basketball IQ and poor work ethic nearly caused him to fall out of the league completely. Sure, there's a chance that he matures and becomes a useful player ... but do I want the Spurs spending salary cap space on him? No, not unless they get desperate and can sign him to a one-year deal. A high end outcome for him would be something like a JaVale McGee career arc -- but he'd have to do a whole lot of maturing to reach even that level. And even then, an athleticism-based backup center isn't even that valuable nowadays.

Would the Spurs actually look to re-sign him? I just don't see it. If Pop got mad at Davis Bertans for sticking up for a teammate, imagine what they think of antics like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dA-TpSC6U

Low basketball IQ, poor work ethic, noted hothead, pouter ... that's a lot to overlook.

BackHome
03-26-2021, 01:27 PM
Read his draft bio a couple of positive things:
1. One of the youngest guys drafted
2. Super athletic has a quick step faster then most players
3. Can score in the paint and mid range and has a good 3 ball stroke

The Bad:
1. Didn’t start playing basketball until 14
2. Fouls A lot was disqualified 15 of 34 game’s
3. One of the worst rebounders to go this high in the last 30 years
4. Never boxes out
5. To emotional and can take plays off

Before he was drafted an article came out saying “ Biggest Gamble” as he could go from 5 to 22 in first round

Dejounte
03-26-2021, 01:28 PM
^ timvp - Yeah, I get Pop's reluctance with hot heads. But I like it. This current team can be fucking soft. No one defended White (or Lonnie?) when that dirty looking asshole Cauley Stein pushed him while he was trying to land.

Just my guess but it seems the way the Spurs are trying to construct the roster is to put as minimal as possible cap spending on centers. Poeltl, Eubanks, then Chriss at $3 mil per year is about $18 mil total a year for that position.

Spursfanfromafar
03-26-2021, 01:30 PM
Chriss jumps high and does cool dunks so he has his fans. Just like there were Spurs fans up in arms when the Spurs let go of James White and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. I wouldn't put too much stock in that, tbh.

For the record, I wouldn't be upset if the Spurs re-sign him. He's young and his elite athleticism makes him more interesting than a typical end of the bench project.

That said, I wouldn't go much higher than a minimum contract to sign him. He's been a hugely negative impact player so far in his career. Chriss was a spectacular bust for a Suns team that traded a whole lot to get him. Low basketball IQ and poor work ethic nearly caused him to fall out of the league completely. Sure, there's a chance that he matures and becomes a useful player ... but do I want the Spurs spending salary cap space on him? No, not unless they get desperate and can sign him to a one-year deal. A high end outcome for him would be something like a JaVale McGee career arc -- but he'd have to do a whole lot of maturing to reach even that level. And even then, an athleticism-based backup center isn't even that valuable nowadays.

Would the Spurs actually look to re-sign him? I just don't see it. If Pop got mad at Davis Bertans for sticking up for a teammate, imagine what they think of antics like this ...

Low basketball IQ, poor work ethic, noted hothead, pouter ... that's a lot to overlook.

Yeah.. "Money trade". One of the worst non-moves that the Spurs have made in a long time ..

RD2191
03-26-2021, 01:35 PM

Wow, what a scrub. Smh

Robz4000
03-26-2021, 02:07 PM

James White!!!!

gospursgojas
03-26-2021, 03:12 PM
When did Chriss go from a salary dump save money move to actually becoming a part of spurs future?

I’m still in the group that thinks he’s nothing but the former.

timvp
03-26-2021, 03:34 PM
When did Chriss go from a salary dump save money move to actually becoming a part of spurs future?

I’m still in the group that thinks he’s nothing but the former.

Pop even admitted it was a money transaction. Chriss will be kept on board because his contract is paid by insurance. He's supposedly a good guy off the court so they will probably allow him to travel with the team, etc., if he wants/can.

But to view Chriss as anything more than a money transaction is just hopeful thinking. Sure, there's a scenario in the universe where the Spurs fall in love with him off the court and make it a point to bring him back. But, in reality, he's just about the most un-Spur-like player in the league so expecting him to ever suit up is mostly fantasy.

TD 21
03-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Could have swore there's been relatively recent talk of his maturing (or at least pretending to once he realized he had fallen to the fringe of the league).

If he doesn't regain almost all athleticism his NBA career will be over in short order. And unlike McGee, who always had elite positional measurements to fall back on (7'1'' 270 7'6'' wingspan), he doesn't even have that going for him (6'9'' 250 7'0'' wingspan).

He'll probably have to compete for a spot on a roster in training camp. Couldn't hurt to take a look, but this team doesn't need another undersized center who can't shoot.

r0drig0lac
03-26-2021, 06:11 PM

and me thinking that the goal of a basketball team was to win basketball games, my mistake.

RC_Drunkford
03-26-2021, 06:15 PM
and me thinking that the goal of a basketball team was to win basketball games, my mistake.

that goal is long gone my friend. The Spurs now worry about people being nice guys or over 35 and almost out of the league to cutting them a paycheck because "class" :pop:

Dejounte
03-27-2021, 10:05 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1376007226347945997?s=19

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1376007862275702785?s=19

venitian navigator
03-28-2021, 03:24 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1376007226347945997?s=19

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1376007862275702785?s=19

If Chriss has a chance to stay is mainly because of his good relationship with DJM...that could give him a chance to show what he can do. Word was he matured enough to become a decent nba contributor and for a reserve role that, plus his elite athleticism (if he recovers perfectly), could be enough. True that's only 6.9 but true too that for his athletic skills only he was a top ten draft pick...athletic talent is something you can't buy nor teach nor find so easily. And maybe he'sm still young enough to be coached in a way that could make him become a real player (if I remember correctly he started to play very late, at 14 years old...). Imho it all depends by him and his behavior...and willingness, from now on, to learn and work. If that's the case (and in thiis his relationship with DJM, if truly friendly, can contribute a lot for puting him in the right state of mind), he could have found the best place in NBA for becoming something comparable with nba draft expectations...

KingKev
03-28-2021, 04:04 AM
Pop even admitted it was a money transaction. Chriss will be kept on board because his contract is paid by insurance. He's supposedly a good guy off the court so they will probably allow him to travel with the team, etc., if he wants/can.

But to view Chriss as anything more than a money transaction is just hopeful thinking. Sure, there's a scenario in the universe where the Spurs fall in love with him off the court and make it a point to bring him back. But, in reality, he's just about the most un-Spur-like player in the league so expecting him to ever suit up is mostly fantasy.

ummm Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Stephen Jackson. Pop was okay with them mixing it up in the good ol’ days. This team needs some raw... and not DDR getting t’d by throwing a little girl temper tantrum in the clutch. Like Mario Ellie, Jerome Kersey, Kevin Wills type guys who will mix it up. The whole Spurs character bullsh!t is overdone. Could care less if he ever suits up, but tired of this garbage of only good guys. They are paid to hoop not do community autograph signings at the local HEB and obligatory coffee runs with the fellas.

Dverde
03-28-2021, 09:51 AM
I think it’ll be like the Josh Huestis situation. Spurs will help him rehab and give him a tryout when he is ready. Maybe even go to our G-League team to get in shape.

EricB
03-28-2021, 11:15 AM

oh

Teamduncan21
03-28-2021, 11:23 AM
So the Spurs could keep Chriss in the building and rehab him and all that shit after waiving him. There's still not a basketball reason to do this trade. The "sniffer" point of view should be to just hope this was a one-off rather than trying to dress this trade up. It happened. Now we just have to try to move forward with the team.

It is a cash benefit trade. No doubt. You can argue it's bad for the culture. But it has not much effect basketball wise. Again not like there is an all star free agent out there that will sign with us.

And now with dieng spurs waive chris's. Collect the net cash. Done. So it's really not a big thing to be angry about

Sugus
03-28-2021, 01:12 PM
It is a cash benefit trade. No doubt. You can argue it's bad for the culture. But it has not much effect basketball wise. Again not like there is an all star free agent out there that will sign with us.

And now with dieng spurs waive chris's. Collect the net cash. Done. So it's really not a big thing to be angry about

It was absolute, top-level, vintage cliff-jumping from SpursTalk. I'm actually surprised my guy Chinook was so hot-headed on his take on this, before seeing how all the chips fell down.

Now the dust has settled - Spurs got extra money for doing GS a solid, still waived Chriss at the first chance (putting to bed the "insurance payout" theories) in order to make room for an actual FA that wanted to sign here over playing for contending teams, and which they managed to lure (further discrediting the shit-talking about ineptitude so often directed at the FO nowadays). No impact to the "culture", no impact to the team (which came out with excellent energy last night), and the Spurs came out of the deadline/buyout market with an improved roster and addressing arguably the biggest hole the team had, especially after letting go of LMA.

It's still TBD how well Dieng will play for us, and how much we'll pay him for having chosen us as a FA. But one thing remains unarguable - the FO could've perfectly done nothing at all, and stayed put. This was a basketball winning move, and a damned good FA get in paper. So long to those theories about "for-profit organization" and penny pinching and whatever :lol, but who am I kidding, trolls will be out of the woodworks any second now, once they manage to spin this into a negative move...

Sugus
03-28-2021, 01:19 PM

Turning into the phoenix suns without the lottery picks tbh

Delicious fucking food, I love you ST, never fucking change :lol worst trade deadline in history :lmao

Man, didn't think I'd see the day where I had to bump a timvp cliff-jumping bad take... How the times change....

RD2191
03-28-2021, 01:30 PM
I'm a huge cock sucking faggot.
Agreed tbh

Sugus
03-28-2021, 01:37 PM
Agreed tbh

I've never seen a poster so preoccupied with others' sexual orientations, tbh, it's frankly fascinating (and hilarious). You really spend more time fantasizing about other people sucking dick, than you do posting good takes that won't get ridiculed in a week on here, huh... :lol

Freud's calling, my guy, gonna pick it up? Or are you scared of what's behind that door...?

timvp
03-28-2021, 01:41 PM
Man, didn't think I'd see the day where I had to bump a timvp cliff-jumping bad take... How the times change....

Weird definition of cliff jumping or having a bad take, tbh. Everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away after the trade. By all indications, the Spurs were planning on keeping Chriss for the insurance money unless something fell into their laps. And it did.

I agreed with Chinook that the most troubling aspect of the trade was that it could mean that ownership was putting finances ahead of winning. I don't think anyone said that was 100% the case. But, as it turns out, the Dieng moves points to a scenario where the Spurs positioned themselves to basically sell a roster spot if they couldn't improve. They were able to improve and pulled the trigger. Good turn of events :tu

Robz4000
03-28-2021, 01:50 PM
Delicious fucking food, I love you ST, never fucking change :lol worst trade deadline in history :lmao

It still hurts tbh. Also Memphis in 6.

RD2191
03-28-2021, 02:40 PM
I've never seen a poster so preoccupied with others' sexual orientations, tbh, it's frankly fascinating (and hilarious). You really spend more time fantasizing about other people sucking dick, than you do posting good takes that won't get ridiculed in a week on here, huh... :lol

Freud's calling, my guy, gonna pick it up? Or are you scared of what's behind that door...?
lol faggot

ECOV
03-28-2021, 02:50 PM
lol faggot

https://www.dictionary.com/

Sugus
03-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Weird definition of cliff jumping or having a bad take, tbh. Everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away after the trade. By all indications, the Spurs were planning on keeping Chriss for the insurance money unless something fell into their laps. And it did.

I agreed with Chinook that the most troubling aspect of the trade was that it could mean that ownership was putting finances ahead of winning. I don't think anyone said that was 100% the case. But, as it turns out, the Dieng moves points to a scenario where the Spurs positioned themselves to basically sell a roster spot if they couldn't improve. They were able to improve and pulled the trigger. Good turn of events :tu

I'm pulling your leg, being hyperbolic, my guy. But it is disingenuous to say "everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away...", when the general consensus here (and you specifically lol) was that the Spurs would hold him for the rest of the season to grab those insurance checks. Didn't you literally say "OMG, sounds like the Spurs can't waive him. The source was right :lol :lmao :depressed"? A literal day before he was, in fact, waived? A far cry from "assuming he would be released" lmfao

Agree on the rest; having seen the complete picture, it makes the Chriss trade have more sense, I was also puzzled when it went down. Can't wait for Dieng to stumble out of the gates and ST to turn on him :lol

Sugus
03-28-2021, 03:50 PM
https://www.dictionary.com/

I don't think RD has shown the capacity of using one of those, so linking them isn't too useful tbh :lol

timvp
03-28-2021, 03:57 PM
I'm pulling your leg, being hyperbolic, my guy. But it is disingenuous to say "everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away...", when the general consensus here (and you specifically lol) was that the Spurs would hold him for the rest of the season to grab those insurance checks. Didn't you literally say "OMG, sounds like the Spurs can't waive him. The source was right :lol :lmao :depressed"? A literal day before he was, in fact, waived? A far cry from "assuming he would be released" lmfao

Agree on the rest; having seen the complete picture, it makes the Chriss trade have more sense, I was also puzzled when it went down. Can't wait for Dieng to stumble out of the gates and ST to turn on him :lol

Eh, it doesn't matter at this point, but "everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away" was in reference to what everyone thought right after the trade happened. We all though (as far as I know) that Chriss was traded to the Spurs along with money so that the Spurs could buy him out right away and profit a little bit of money for going through the trouble of doing that. That's how those trades typically work. That the Spurs considered keeping him for insurance purposes (and probably would have kept him, by all accounts, if not for the Dieng signing) was surprising and something I've never heard of an NBA team doing before.

RD2191
03-28-2021, 04:01 PM
I don't think RD has shown the capacity of using one of those, so linking them isn't too useful tbh :lol
Shutup, faggot.

Sugus
03-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Eh, it doesn't matter at this point, but "everyone was assuming Chriss would be released right away" was in reference to what everyone thought right after the trade happened. We all though (as far as I know) that Chriss was traded to the Spurs along with money so that the Spurs could buy him out right away and profit a little bit of money for going through the trouble of doing that. That's how those trades typically work. That the Spurs considered keeping him for insurance purposes (and probably would have kept him, by all accounts, if not for the Dieng signing) was surprising and something I've never heard of an NBA team doing before.

I see :tu

Btw, not to be insistent, but have you thought about that Ignore feature yet? There's this one guy following me around (well, he and his alt), and I think he's a bit too obsessed with me for his own good. Must be my looks or something... Hard to know :lol

RD2191
03-28-2021, 05:04 PM
I see :tu

Btw, not to be insistent, but have you thought about that Ignore feature yet? There's this one guy following me around (well, he and his alt), and I think he's a bit too obsessed with me for his own good. Must be my looks or something... Hard to know :lol
:fishing