PDA

View Full Version : FSSW: Spurs interested in Ebi

ChumpDumper
11-11-2005, 10:00 PM
And, well nothing else.

Solid D
11-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I heard that too. Denver and Spurs interested in picking him up. T-Wolves would owe him his $800K.

spurster
11-11-2005, 10:07 PM
He's my candidate for the mythical (good) tall SF.

sprrs
11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
He would be very nice pickup but he wants/needs playing time so there's not much of a chance he'd come here.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2005, 10:19 PM
He would've played Marks' minutes tonight....

sprrs
11-11-2005, 10:22 PM
sure but once Finley and Barry come back there won't be as many minutes to spare

ChumpDumper
11-11-2005, 10:26 PM
That would depend on Ebi.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Looks like they were just running a story from the Star-Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5720491-2.html).

Denver and San Antonio are two teams that have shown interest in signing Ndudi Ebi, the Wolves' first-round draft choice of three years ago who was released last week. The Wolves will have to pay Ebi his entire $800,000 salary even if he is picked by another team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2005, 11:43 PM
That would be a great pickup. Pop could get his project 4, and Holt wouldn't be picking up the check :lol It's a Marcus Cryant special.

timvp
11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Do it.

:tu

spursupporter
11-11-2005, 11:53 PM
get him!!!

SequSpur
11-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Ebi sucks.

samikeyp
11-12-2005, 01:16 AM
sickdsm was always pimping this guy....maybe he is worth a look.

spursupporter
11-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Ndudi Ebi coming to San Antonio?
Wire Reports
Saturday, November 12, 2005

According to several reports, the Denver Nuggest and San Antonio Spurs are two teams that have shown interest in signing Ndudi Ebi, the Wolves' first-round draft choice of three years ago who was released last week.

The Wolves will have to pay Ebi his entire $800,000 salary even if he is picked by another team.

The Timberwolves "gave up" on their former first-round draft pick, acknowledging that two years of work wasn't enough to prepare him for NBA competition.

According to sources, the Timberwolves told him they saw very little hope of him getting any playing time.

"That didn't sit very well with him," said vice-president Kevin McHale, who made Ebi the 26th overall selection in the 2003 draft out of Westbury Christian High School in Houston. "He really needs to play."

Regrets?

"It didn't work out the way I wanted to," McHale said.

After two-plus years of exhaustive, post-practice workouts with McHale, the six-foot-nine Ebi was still not nearly polished enough for Casey to even consider bringing him off the bench. He's nimble and athletic, with a knack for blocking shots, but often looks lost on the court and has shown little instinct for playing consistent defence.

The Wolves recently asked for an exception that would allow them to send Ebi to the NBA's developmental league, but they were denied. Their request surprised Ebi, who has always been defiant about his ability to play with the big boys.

"I'm not a development league player. I'm an NBA player," he said earlier this month.

In two seasons with Minnesota, Ebi appeared in only 19 games - averaging 2.1 points, 1.0 rebounds and 4.5 minutes. His career highlight came last April in a meaningless season finale against San Antonio, when he scored 18 points and grabbed a game-high eight rebounds in 28 minutes.

"He's a great kid," McHale said Monday night on a conference call with reporters. "We spent a lot of time, so it's tough. But it's a basketball decision. You've got to do what's best for the team."

Tobias
11-12-2005, 09:36 AM
He was the kid the Spurs were looking at drafting that year, so it's not surprising.

Brodels
11-12-2005, 10:41 AM
He's quite a project and he's got a long way to go before he's a quality NBA player, but he's got a somewhat rare combination of youth, great potential, size, and skills.

It can't hurt to pick him up if he's willing to come in, learn, keep his mouth shut, and try to get better. If he comes in and bitches about playing time or demonstrates a poor work ethic, the Spurs would need to send him packing immediately.

The Spurs have the veteran leadership, coaching, and structured environment that a player like Ebi could really benefit from. If he has patience and is willing to work, there probably isn't a better place for him at this point.

I'm not sure that minutes on a crappy team is what he needs.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Denver has a completely full roster -- they sent one of their players to the CBA because they didn't have room. I suppose they could waive the injured Russell, but Ebi does nothing to help their outside shooting.

wildbill2u
11-12-2005, 02:56 PM
"After two-plus years of exhaustive, post-practice workouts with McHale, the six-foot-nine Ebi was still not nearly polished enough for Casey to even consider bringing him off the bench. He's nimble and athletic, with a knack for blocking shots, but often looks lost on the court and has shown little instinct for playing consistent defence."

Sort of a younger NASR --but without the great basketball sense. [/sarcasm]

exstatic
11-12-2005, 03:02 PM
There are two reasons this probably won't happen

1) Arn
2) Tellum

If you are a player, and you hire Drew Rosenhaus, Arn Tellum, or Scott Boras, you are only after one thing: squeezing the last dollar out of a team, no matter what the cost. Maybe McHale didn't want to deal with ol' Senor Tellum next summer.

leemajors
11-12-2005, 04:44 PM
sign him, assign him to the toros!

exstatic
11-12-2005, 05:25 PM
sign him, assign him to the toros!

Did you not even read the article?

Ebi cannot be assigned to the d-league, EVER. He has more than 2 years in the NBA.

Horry For 3!
11-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Spurs should sign Ebi. It is worth a try.

leemajors
11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
nothing in this thread said that. the article chumpdumper linked is broken due to hhtp linkage, and the one pasted said nothing about it. nice of you to be a dick though. i just live in austin and want to see players who may play for the spurs.

exstatic
11-12-2005, 07:16 PM
The Wolves recently asked for an exception that would allow them to send Ebi to the NBA's developmental league, but they were denied. Their request surprised Ebi, who has always been defiant about his ability to play with the big boys.

Not trying to be a dick, but Ebi has been WELL discussed on this forum, and it usually ends with "it's too bad we can't send him down to the d-league". Then, you come along and say "Hey, let's sign him and send him to the d-league!".

I think the big question is why did Minny wait until year 3 to try the d-league?

leemajors
11-12-2005, 07:28 PM
ahh, i had never seen those posts. thx for the info.

IcemanCometh
11-12-2005, 07:37 PM
definitely pick him up

exstatic
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
ahh, i had never seen those posts. thx for the info.

It's coo. Peace, out. :fro

ChumpDumper
11-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Sorry about the link -- fixed.