PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Pop

KobesAchilles
04-06-2021, 07:34 AM
No troll thread please. I said it last year (and I believe I would’ve been right if the Olympics hadn’t been canceled) but this is Pop’s last season as a coach. I don’t have it sourced, but I believe this is why Pop didn’t trade anybody. It was his last ride or die moment with his team.

Pop did many wonderful things for the community. He cussed out the refs so much they feared him. He was a master of getting the most out of his players. He had so many great moments with reporters that I always felt better in the playoffs after we lost due to them. I liked it when Pop was pissed bc I was heartbroken and they ask stupid questions anyways. “Talk about the 4th quarter...”

The man is an instant ball of famer. He changed his coaching style over the years to twin big men, dump the ball to Duncan, let Manu and Tony run the show, and finally his masterpiece of the beautiful game. I am grateful to Pop. He is a legend. He made my Spurs fandom much better. He gave us the nasty. He cussed out Joey Crawford during game 6 when I was doing the same, and him on the boat floating on the river walk counting to 5 rings is probably the second best moment as a fan (with the 99 championship a clear number 1)

I will miss you Pop. Good luck on the Olympics and THANK YOU

mo7888
04-06-2021, 07:56 AM
I hope you're correct... but I think he stays and chases the record..

KingKev
04-06-2021, 07:57 AM
No troll thread please. I said it last year (and I believe I would’ve been right if the Olympics hadn’t been canceled) but this is Pop’s last season as a coach. I don’t have it sourced, but I believe this is why Pop didn’t trade anybody. It was his last ride or die moment with his team.

Pop did many wonderful things for the community. He cussed out the refs so much they feared him. He was a master of getting the most out of his players. He had so many great moments with reporters that I always felt better in the playoffs after we lost due to them. I liked it when Pop was pissed bc I was heartbroken and they ask stupid questions anyways. “Talk about the 4th quarter...”

The man is an instant ball of famer. He changed his coaching style over the years to twin big men, dump the ball to Duncan, let Manu and Tony run the show, and finally his masterpiece of the beautiful game. I am grateful to Pop. He is a legend. He made my Spurs fandom much better. He gave us the nasty. He cussed out Joey Crawford during game 6 when I was doing the same, and him on the boat floating on the river walk counting to 5 rings is probably the second best moment as a fan (with the 99 championship a clear number 1)

I will miss you Pop. Good luck on the Olympics and THANK YOU

Best for everyone tbh but not convinced this is it. If so, he could have done better at setting the team up for future success but at this point his departure is at least a step in the right direction. Coach Becky has next. Hopefully post Pop Brian Wright can show us he is deserving of the GM role and it was Pop who was the impediment. He has ALOT to prove.

tbdog
04-06-2021, 08:09 AM
I am pretty sure the team gets remodelled next season. I suspect significant changes.

szkorhetz
04-06-2021, 08:54 AM
I am pretty sure the team gets remodelled next season. I suspect significant changes.
As we all suspected for the last 2-4 years and nothing happened..

GAustex
04-06-2021, 08:55 AM
The sooner the senile old drunk is gone the better

J_Paco
04-06-2021, 09:12 AM
We'll see if he calls it quits or returns for another season. I'm on the fence about either move and don't see a suitable replacement for him, anyway.

His coaching after the all - star break has been a lot more bad than good, especially with the (obviously coming) leaning on Patty, Rudy and DeMar in close games (or with heavy minutes).

At the same time I don't completely think he has it in him to coach an even younger team next season. We'll see, but I'm definitely thankful for him being in San Antonio and everything he's helped accomplish there. A lot of coaches would've fucked it up long ago and Timmy would've bailed on them in 2000 - 2001.

Instead, the team had unprecedented success for a small market team and built themselves up into a upper echelon organization. The slide back down the mountain has been ugly, rough and discouraging but the good moments outweigh the recent bad ones.

DMC
04-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Pop won't record chase.

DMC
04-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Seattle SuperSpurs

ginobilized
04-06-2021, 11:05 AM
He is not retiring before getting that record. Don Nelson was quoted saying he is sure that Pop will stay to break his record for wins.
Too lazy to look it up and I don't know how to embed it. It's out there.

I can't tell if the team is imploding, though. Players have seemingly lost the plot. Such crappy basketball. At this rate it will take forever to get the requisite wins for the record.

BatManu20
04-06-2021, 11:20 AM
Pop won't record chase.

BatManu20
04-06-2021, 11:21 AM
I think he’s gone too. He doesn’t give a damn about the record. He’ll retire, hand the keys over to Becky, and slide right into an upper-management level position in the Front Office.

timtonymanu
04-06-2021, 11:25 AM
:lol the front office begging him to coach the last two years only for them to miss the playoffs in both seasons

MultiTroll
04-06-2021, 11:48 AM
He is not retiring before getting that record. Don Nelson was quoted saying he is sure that Pop will stay to break his record for wins.
Too lazy to look it up and I don't know how to embed it. It's out there.
Don says he hopes Popped gets it but i don't see anywhere that he thinks Popped WILL stay for sure to get the record. IMO the asshat most certainly will stay another season, team failure be damned.

Also, Don smokes weed now. Looking so much happier then ever. :rollin
See article on NBA Forum.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/06/don-nelsons-wins-record-could-be-preserved-because-of-nba-hiatus/
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/06/don-nelsons-wins-record-could-be-preserved-because-of-nba-hiatus/

daslicer
04-06-2021, 11:52 AM
I will thank Pop for being a father figure for Duncan because it played a huge role in keeping him in the summer of '00. That was Pop's biggest contribution but outside of that he's pretty much useless without Duncan.

Chucho
04-06-2021, 11:54 AM
In 5 years when he actually is gone/dead and the Spurs are still sludging around because tanking is stupid and the Owners are bent over by the stars so much that it's really hurting the product, the same people who have been wishing for his demise for over a decade will be crying and wishing he was back.

Typical ST garbage thread.

james evans
04-06-2021, 12:21 PM
pop isnt going anywhere. Expect a Defrozen max and mills at $15 million per..

james evans
04-06-2021, 12:25 PM
I will thank Pop for being a father figure for Duncan because it played a huge role in keeping him in the summer of '00. That was Pop's biggest contribution but outside of that he's pretty much useless without Duncan.
The rumor the past 2 decades, that has been confirmed by several sources, is Doc Rivers being the reason Duncan stayed. Duncan was all but gone.. And no one ever wants to discuss why Duncan wanted out of San antonio. I still don't know.

cd98
04-06-2021, 12:25 PM
I think Pop coaches the Spurs one more season. He breaks the record on wins (though I don't think he really cares about it). He hopefully gets a lottery pick that's a difference maker. But I think he wants to leave the team in a good place where it is a playoff team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Pop's here next year. What else is he going to do? Walk along the beach in his flip-flops with black socks, looking for treasures with his metal detector?

mo7888
04-06-2021, 12:42 PM
The rumor the past 2 decades, that has been confirmed by several sources, is Doc Rivers being the reason Duncan stayed. Duncan was all but gone.. And no one ever wants to discuss why Duncan wanted out of San antonio. I still don't know.

Doc left the Spurs in 1996... Duncan came in 1997....

Doc was coaching Orlando when they recruited Duncan in FA an we know the rest of that story...

cd98
04-06-2021, 12:52 PM

The rumor is also that he gave Pop the last meeting and that Pop convinced him to stay with the help of David Robinson. And also that Duncan said that staying was the best decision and that it worked out great. I can see why he wanted to go to Orlando. It's not just Doc Rivers. It's living in a city that has Disney World, etc. if you like that kind of thing, it is a closer plane flight home to the Island, and they had a talented team in theory with Grant Hill, T Mac, and Duncan. If that team united, and Grant Hill was healthy, they would have been dominant and won many titles. Duncan did not know then that Grant Hill would barely play again and never as a superstar. Yet he still passed up the chance to play with them under a favorable scenario to him. Plus, he probably also liked being near the ocean given where he grew up.

If anyone has a gripe against the Spurs organization, it is David Robinson, who they almost didn't re-sign late in his career because they were trying to get Chris Webber. If they had gotten Chris Webber, they wouldn't have signed David Robinson and he wouldn't have won the second title. If anyone had a reason to be upset it was him, but you can see he is a bigger man and doesn't hold grudges. Really an exemplary dude.

daslicer
04-06-2021, 12:54 PM

I have heard Doc told Duncan that he couldn't bring family on road trips on the team plane but Pop said Duncan could. Supposedly that was the tie breaker. The reason I heard Duncan wanted to leave SA was because he didn't believe David Robinson was going to be around for that much longer and thought once Robinson was gone that he would have no help to win a title.

KobesAchilles
04-06-2021, 01:01 PM
In 5 years when he actually is gone/dead and the Spurs are still sludging around because tanking is stupid and the Owners are bent over by the stars so much that it's really hurting the product, the same people who have been wishing for his demise for over a decade will be crying and wishing he was back.

I mean the thread IS a thank you thread. I didn’t have any trolling as the OP. I can’t help it if others don’t feel the same as me. I’m a little hurt tbh. But Pop played a a big part of my fandom and it’s very sad to see him lose a team. It’s like Landry’s last year as a Cowboy, if you are old enough to remember, but that team quit on him just the same way this team has quit on Pop. Landry was fired. I think Pop does the dignified thing and retires.

Mugen
04-06-2021, 01:23 PM
One can only hope, see ya later old timer!

Dverde
04-06-2021, 01:26 PM
He won’t allow Don Nelson to have that record. He’ll be back for one more. Becky will leave in the offseason. So we have no clear successor.

td4mvp2k
04-06-2021, 01:54 PM
:hungry:

DMC
04-06-2021, 02:24 PM

Secretly of course.. they won't admit it. They'll say we need Steve Kerr.

Chucho
04-06-2021, 02:33 PM
Secretly of course.. they won't admit it. They'll say we need Steve Kerr.

Nah, they will create alts to say what their afraid to say under their alts. Crazy how feminine some weirdos are amongst a community most of them have been part of for 20 years. Lmao

Chucho
04-06-2021, 02:34 PM
ST has hella faggy Durants, just minus the reason to make an alt. Even nobodies have inferiority complexes in front of strangers.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-06-2021, 03:06 PM
The rumor is also that he gave Pop the last meeting and that Pop convinced him to stay with the help of David Robinson. And also that Duncan said that staying was the best decision and that it worked out great. I can see why he wanted to go to Orlando. It's not just Doc Rivers. It's living in a city that has Disney World, etc. if you like that kind of thing, it is a closer plane flight home to the Island, and they had a talented team in theory with Grant Hill, T Mac, and Duncan. If that team united, and Grant Hill was healthy, they would have been dominant and won many titles. Duncan did not know then that Grant Hill would barely play again and never as a superstar. Yet he still passed up the chance to play with them under a favorable scenario to him. Plus, he probably also liked being near the ocean given where he grew up.

If anyone has a gripe against the Spurs organization, it is David Robinson, who they almost didn't re-sign late in his career because they were trying to get Chris Webber. If they had gotten Chris Webber, they wouldn't have signed David Robinson and he wouldn't have won the second title. If anyone had a reason to be upset it was him, but you can see he is a bigger man and doesn't hold grudges. Really an exemplary dude.

:tu

Nice post.

I remember Orlando trying to woo Duncan. He had every reason to go there, tbh. On paper that would have been a super-team. At the time I was fairly sure he was going to bolt.

Fast forward years later, the Spurs are considered one of the top organizations in basketball, and nephew successfully tore it down. The autist wouldn't even take Robinson's calls, and spurned the entire organization by not even allowing room for them to make the best trade possible. The last three years would have looked at lot different if he'd of followed the loyalty tradition set by Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and Parker.

spurs10
04-06-2021, 04:02 PM
I'm wonder if this team knows something we don't know. Suspect they already know certain folks aren't returning....may extend beyond players.

tbdog
04-06-2021, 04:32 PM
As we all suspected for the last 2-4 years and nothing happened..

There's a lot of differences this time.

Larry O
04-06-2021, 05:11 PM
I'm wonder if this team knows something we don't know. Suspect they already know certain folks aren't returning....may extend beyond players.

Yeah, my thoughts as well, tbh. But on the outside looking in, there are a few questions or situations that PATFO, but Pop, most of all, needs to address in the off season. For one, is he seriously chasing the winningest coach of all time top record, or does he really have anything left in the tank to coach? It seems that from some Spurs fans, they think that Pop has lost the players by the way they are playing. This team has become one dimensional with the offense where teams are packing the paint & daring the players to shoot from long distance. And from a defensive standpoint, there is no motivation... well... on both ends of the floor, actually. Pop doesn't seem to be making key adjustments to correct these issues. What they do is too predictable. Is it because of the types of players? Well, they were doing well before the COVID tracing issue, & there has been flashes of this team being a competitive playoff team. Does Pop want to leave this team in playoff form before he rides off into the sunset & then hand over the keys to the next HC? Heck, we may or may not see a BIG change coming this off season for improvement sakes! Who knows?! Only Pop knows this. But we shall see. But when he decides to step down, when that time comes, it will be a solemn day in Spurs Nation, because Pop has been a big part of the franchise's success. GSG!!!

RC_Drunkford
04-06-2021, 05:24 PM
no way he quits before getting that record

cd98
04-06-2021, 05:40 PM
no way he quits before getting that record

It would actually be funny if he quit the day after he beat the record by one game.

spurs10
04-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Yeah, my thoughts as well, tbh. But on the outside looking in, there are a few questions or situations that PATFO, but Pop, most of all, needs to address in the off season. For one, is he seriously chasing the winningest coach of all time top record, or does he really have anything left in the tank to coach? It seems that from some Spurs fans, they think that Pop has lost the players by the way they are playing. This team has become one dimensional with the offense where teams are packing the paint & daring the players to shoot from long distance. And from a defensive standpoint, there is no motivation... well... on both ends of the floor, actually. Pop doesn't seem to be making key adjustments to correct these issues. What they do is too predictable. Is it because of the types of players? Well, they were doing well before the COVID tracing issue, & there has been flashes of this team being a competitive playoff team. Does Pop want to leave this team in playoff form before he rides off into the sunset & then hand over the keys to the next HC? Heck, we may or may not see a BIG change coming this off season for improvement sakes! Who knows?! Only Pop knows this. But we shall see. But when he decides to step down, when that time comes, it will be a solemn day in Spurs Nation, because Pop has been a big part of the franchise's success. GSG!!! Great post. I have little doubt that Pop is not chasing 'records.' Whatever he does I believe will be with the team's best interests at the forefront.

spurs10
04-06-2021, 07:37 PM
It would actually be funny if he quit the day after he beat the record by one game. Yes that would be funny! It's not happening, but would be really badass.

LakerHater
04-06-2021, 07:42 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/c2/b4/cajhlmh0_o.jpg

spurs10
04-06-2021, 07:55 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/c2/b4/cajhlmh0_o.jpg Haha! This!

MultiTroll
04-06-2021, 08:05 PM
Great post. I have little doubt that Pop is not chasing 'records.' Whatever he does I believe will be with the team's best interests at the forefront.
No doubt.
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bryn-forbes-and-patty-mills-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-talk-against-the-picture-id901301050?s=594x594

exstatic
04-06-2021, 08:47 PM
I have heard Doc told Duncan that he couldn't bring family on road trips on the team plane but Pop said Duncan could. Supposedly that was the tie breaker. The reason I heard Duncan wanted to leave SA was because he didn't believe David Robinson was going to be around for that much longer and thought once Robinson was gone that he would have no help to win a title.

Well, at the time he didn’t have a family, but Doc said no to Amy flying with the team, and Pop said OK, occasionally. Orlando also didn’t do their homework. Tim was a fast food addict at the time, and they served a fancy brunch, which he barely touched. They’d have done better to get him a Wendy’s single combo. Talk about a perfect decision. He’d have been stuck with a gimpy Grant Hill, who played only 18 games his first two seasons in ORL. They’d have been totally fucked if TMac didn’t land in their laps via the caproom left when Tim passed.

daslicer
04-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Well, at the time he didn’t have a family, but Doc said no to Amy flying with the team, and Pop said OK, occasionally. Orlando also didn’t do their homework. Tim was a fast food addict at the time, and they served a fancy brunch, which he barely touched. They’d have done better to get him a Wendy’s single combo. Talk about a perfect decision. He’d have been stuck with a gimpy Grant Hill, who played only 18 games his first two seasons in ORL. They’d have been totally fucked if TMac didn’t land in their laps via the caproom left when Tim passed.

Agreed. Most people don't know that they only had money for 2 max players not 3 so it would have been impossible for them to form a big 3 with Tmac,Hill,Duncan. Like you said if Duncan signed with them he would have been paired up with an injured Hill.

ducks
04-06-2021, 09:23 PM
I hope you're correct... but I think he stays and chases the record..

It is all about him

Ice009
04-06-2021, 09:29 PM
Agreed. Most people don't know that they only had money for 2 max players not 3 so it would have been impossible for them to form a big 3 with Tmac,Hill,Duncan. Like you said if Duncan signed with them he would have been paired up with an injured Hill.

I also believe that this was the case and why Tim is happy in his decision to stay. The only thing I wonder is, if TD said yes, I wonder if T-Mac would have went there at a discount, or if the three of them could have worked something out? If not, and it was just going to be Duncan and Hill, then yeah, Tim would definitely feel he made the right decision not to go. If T-Mac did somehow come on board, though, I still think TD and him would have been a very good combination. Do you think that combo could have won a ring? I'm not sure due to T-Mac's mental toughness, but talent wise, I think they could have been right there if surrounded with the right role players.

As for Pop, does he have any years left on his Spurs contract? If so, I think he was for sure planning to come back, but if he doesn't, I'd say it's only because he lost the team, as with the way it's looking right now, it seems he's very close to losing them if he already hasn't.

Sugus
04-06-2021, 09:40 PM
I'm still not entirely sure that OP isn't trolling with this thread, but agreed, tbh. I know we've been saying this for a while now, but it's really looking like the sun is setting on Pop's coaching career. Anyone who's seen him all these years knows he's not chasing the wins record - he's got enough records as it is. I do think he'd want to leave the team in a better light than it currently is in, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see him return for one last year, but at the same time I don't think he wants to coach a bottom-of-the-barrel team. So it's going to be a very interesting offseason for sure, regarding how the Spurs FO themselves see the team and how it will move forward.

Beyond all the trolling, and his decline in recent years, he's been an incredible coach for SanAn. Stupid posters will say he rode Timmy's coattails entirely without any input, and never did anything good himself, yet will also fondly remember Pop outcoaching Mike D'Antoni all those series and so many other coaches, his wacky schemes, his being at the forefront of the NBA, and paving the way for the modern game with his 13-14' squad and the Beautiful Game. None of that happened without Pop. Every Spurs fan should be forever grateful... And I have zero doubts that being grateful for all that he's done, will get much easier once he's not on the team anymore, mucking things up. It's just time, tbh.

Cya, Pop. Or should I say, CIA Pop...?

baseline bum
04-06-2021, 09:43 PM
After seeing the constant carousel of coaches in the mid 80s through mid 90s and how they could never get the best out of some talented teams, I'm going to miss the hell out of Pop when he retires. Because he sure as hell got the best out of the 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 13, 14, 18, and 19 teams.

baseline bum
04-06-2021, 09:47 PM

Hah he actually sent them to Wendy's to get him a couple of the 99 cent bacon cheeseburgers. Kind of wonder if that was just Tim trolling Doc after the fact though letting that story about Amy not being allowed on the team flights leak. Still love when he went in and met with Pop, sat down in his office, and told him he was going to Orlando. Then said just kidding a few seconds later.

superbigtime
04-06-2021, 09:51 PM
Pop doesn't need a pity thread.

baseline bum
04-06-2021, 09:55 PM
I also believe that this was the case and why Tim is happy in his decision to stay. The only thing I wonder is, if TD said yes, I wonder if T-Mac would have went there at a discount, or if the three of them could have worked something out? If not, and it was just going to be Duncan and Hill, then yeah, Tim would definitely feel he made the right decision not to go. If T-Mac did somehow come on board, though, I still think TD and him would have been a very good combination. Do you think that combo could have won a ring? I'm not sure due to T-Mac's mental toughness, but talent wise, I think they could have been right there if surrounded with the right role players.

TMac absolutely would not have gone to Orlando to play as the #3 guy. He was already jealous of Vince Carter in Toronto. If TMac gave a crap about winning he would have stayed there. He had all the tools to be a better Scottie Pippen but just wanted to score.

poopbox
04-06-2021, 11:47 PM
I for one hope he moves on because not only does he get routinely outcoached but Pop also coaches like a coach who knows he won't ever get fired and doesn't have winning as his top priority...

There needs to be some sort of consequence for bad coaching and right now Pop does not face any.

Hopefully he turns the reigns over to Becky cause I think she is a damn good coach

tbdog
04-06-2021, 11:48 PM
It's going to be an interesting off season. I do believe Spurs will go after an elite big. I think one of White or Murray will be gone. Possibly Johnson and Poeltl as well.

Thomas82
04-07-2021, 12:19 AM
TMac absolutely would not have gone to Orlando to play as the #3 guy. He was already jealous of Vince Carter in Toronto. If TMac gave a crap about winning he would have stayed there. He had all the tools to be a better Scottie Pippen but just wanted to score.

Yeah, it's sad that he was so jealous of his cousin like that.

daslicer
04-07-2021, 12:21 AM
Yeah, it's sad that he was so jealous of his cousin like that.

He also hated playing in Toronto.

tmtcsc
04-07-2021, 01:33 AM

He didn't want out of San Antonio, he did his due-diligence on his free agent options. Orlando was intriguing to him for many reasons and he said as much in a recent interview.

1. Orlando was close to his family and home in the US VI.
2. The Magic wanted him to form a Super Team with Grant Hill & Tracy McGrady.
3. He was already familiar and friends with Monty Williams and respected him quite a bit. I believe he was part of the coaching staff with the Magic.

Why did he stay? He said it was because of a "trust" factor and friendship he developed with Pop. They were building something and although the team's future was a little murky because of the aging roster, he trusted Pop would get it right. This was pre Tony and Manu if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure David Robinson played a part in convincing him to think about what they had started but the impact was a little overblown by the local news.

ragas
04-07-2021, 03:59 AM
I'm still not entirely sure that OP isn't trolling with this thread, but agreed, tbh. I know we've been saying this for a while now, but it's really looking like the sun is setting on Pop's coaching career. Anyone who's seen him all these years knows he's not chasing the wins record - he's got enough records as it is. I do think he'd want to leave the team in a better light than it currently is in, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see him return for one last year, but at the same time I don't think he wants to coach a bottom-of-the-barrel team. So it's going to be a very interesting offseason for sure, regarding how the Spurs FO themselves see the team and how it will move forward.

Beyond all the trolling, and his decline in recent years, he's been an incredible coach for SanAn. Stupid posters will say he rode Timmy's coattails entirely without any input, and never did anything good himself, yet will also fondly remember Pop outcoaching Mike D'Antoni all those series and so many other coaches, his wacky schemes, his being at the forefront of the NBA, and paving the way for the modern game with his 13-14' squad and the Beautiful Game. None of that happened without Pop. Every Spurs fan should be forever grateful... And I have zero doubts that being grateful for all that he's done, will get much easier once he's not on the team anymore, mucking things up. It's just time, tbh.

Cya, Pop. Or should I say, CIA Pop...?

I also don't think he's chasing records. For me the reason he's still coaching is very simple: Basketball is his life! Being around those young guys, do something meaningful instead of sitting alone in his house. It's pretty understable. Question is: Do he have to be the HC any longer? He could step back in the second row mentoring a younger HC, but I guess that's not his character and you would have to find a HC who can handle that (Becky, Hardy).

ragas
04-07-2021, 04:05 AM
It's going to be an interesting off season. I do believe Spurs will go after an elite big. I think one of White or Murray will be gone. Possibly Johnson and Poeltl as well.

If they have a chance drafting an elite guard then White will be gone. I don't think they trade Johnson. Maybe Poeltl for the right deal, but my guess is that they want to keep him at least for another year.

tbdog
04-07-2021, 05:35 AM
If they have a chance drafting an elite guard then White will be gone. I don't think they trade Johnson. Maybe Poeltl for the right deal, but my guess is that they want to keep him at least for another year.

Spurs were linked to Vuc and the Magic wanted a young promising player and 2 firsts. They got that from the Bulls. If Spurs want Towns or Sabonis, I think it'll take Poeltl and White/Murray + 1st. For Towns, I think it's Johnson as well.

baseline bum
04-07-2021, 06:36 AM

That was never possible. The Magic had to completely gut a promising team just to get the two max contract slots they had. McGrady was going to Chicago if Duncan and Hill both went to Orlando.

ragas
04-07-2021, 07:35 AM
Spurs were linked to Vuc and the Magic wanted a young promising player and 2 firsts. They got that from the Bulls. If Spurs want Towns or Sabonis, I think it'll take Poeltl and White/Murray + 1st. For Towns, I think it's Johnson as well.

Not for Sabonis.

KobesAchilles
04-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Not for Sabonis.
I would love Sabonis but why is Indy shopping him? He is on an awesome contract for them.

tmtcsc
04-07-2021, 12:03 PM
That was never possible. The Magic had to completely gut a promising team just to get the two max contract slots they had. McGrady was going to Chicago if Duncan and Hill both went to Orlando.

Yes it was. A quick search on Google will provide you with plenty of evidence.

Recap of the Magic's 2000 Season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E2%80%9301_Orlando_Magic_season

The most obvious one was McGrady learning that Tim didn't come to Orlando because Doc wouldn't allow spouses or girlfriends on the team plane.

https://youtu.be/dnZa4lBoeH8

Here's another "What if Tim decided to join Hill & McGrady in Orlando" article.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alternate-nba-endings-what-if-tim-duncan-joined-tracy-mcgrady-and-grant-hill-in-2000-free-agency-144626322.html

KobesAchilles
04-07-2021, 12:22 PM

Recap of the Magic's 2000 Season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E2%80%9301_Orlando_Magic_season

The most obvious one was McGrady learning that Tim didn't come to Orlando because Doc wouldn't allow spouses or girlfriends on the team plane.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alternate-nba-endings-what-if-tim-duncan-joined-tracy-mcgrady-and-grant-hill-in-2000-free-agency-144626322.html
Man as Spurs fan I am so so so glad Doc messed up. Robinson DESERVED to go out a champion after all the bullshit he put up with. But as a basketball fan, that would've been AWESOME to watch Shaq and Kobe vs Duncan and Tmac. I was a huge McGrady fan growing up. I had his shoes, copied his moves (the ones that I could obviously bc I can't just throw the ball off the backboard and dunk :lol ), used to just replay his Adidas commercial about him schooling Lebron. Tmac was the man back then

baseline bum
04-07-2021, 12:37 PM

Bo Outlaw was making nearly half a max salary with years left on his deal and they couldn't salary dump him. If they could have found any way whatsoever to dump Outlaw they would have kept Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins instead of trading them to Detroit for Hill.

daslicer
04-07-2021, 12:39 PM
He didn't want out of San Antonio, he did his due-diligence on his free agent options. Orlando was intriguing to him for many reasons and he said as much in a recent interview.

1. Orlando was close to his family and home in the US VI.
3. He was already familiar and friends with Monty Williams and respected him quite a bit. I believe he was part of the coaching staff with the Magic.

Why did he stay? He said it was because of a "trust" factor and friendship he developed with Pop. They were building something and although the team's future was a little murky because of the aging roster, he trusted Pop would get it right. This was pre Tony and Manu if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure David Robinson played a part in convincing him to think about what they had started but the impact was a little overblown by the local news.

I don't know why people keep forgetting but the Magic could never form a super team with Duncan-Hill-Tmac. They had enough cap space for only 2 max players. Once Duncan rejected them Tmac was the backup plan for them. Had Duncan agreed it would have been just Duncan and Hill and no Tmac.

tmtcsc
04-07-2021, 12:54 PM
I don't know why people keep forgetting but the Magic could never form a super team with Duncan-Hill-Tmac. They had enough cap space for only 2 max players. Once Duncan rejected them Tmac was the backup plan for them. Had Duncan agreed it would have been just Duncan and Hill and no Tmac.

They made room for 2 max players & would've done what was necessary to make room for another. It wouldn't have been that difficult to unload salaries to create the space needed.

tmtcsc
04-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Bo Outlaw was making nearly half a max salary with years left on his deal and they couldn't salary dump him. If they could have found any way whatsoever to dump Outlaw they would have kept Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins instead of trading them to Detroit for Hill.

Bo Outlaw was a free agent. Orlando wanted & would have done a sign and trade if they could but he had to agree on where he was being sent. Bo Outlaw ended up re-signing for an average of 5.5 Million per season. Max at the time for Duncan would have been 9.6 Million. Good Lord how times have changed. I wonder if Pop would have been open to a sign and trade knowing Tim was leaving like he was with Kawhi Leonard. Would Tim & Grant been receptive to taking less to make it work? Pfft. I was ready to hate Duncan if he bolted.

baseline bum
04-07-2021, 01:25 PM
Bo Outlaw was a free agent. Orlando wanted & would have done a sign and trade if they could but he had to agree on where he was being sent. Bo Outlaw ended up re-signing for an average of 5.5 Million per season. Max at the time for Duncan would have been 9.6 Million. Good Lord how times have changed. I wonder if Pop would have been open to a sign and trade knowing Tim was leaving like he was with Kawhi Leonard. Would Tim & Grant been receptive to taking less to make it work? Pfft. I was ready to hate Duncan if he bolted.

Shit, you're right about Outlaw, I stand corrected. I thought he signed that big contract in 99-00, but nope, it was 00-01. Fucking retards in Orlando not keeping Wallace when his cap hit would have only been like $1.3 million and then they could have gone over the cap to re-sign him to a market value deal after using up all their capspace. Or more likely, their garbage owner Rich Devos being too cheap to build a winner. I mean Wallace wasn't Detroit Ben Wallace in 99-00, but he started getting recognition as a major part of that much better than expected 99-00 season and to lose him when he would have only counted $1.3 million against the cap was ludicrous.

tmtcsc
04-07-2021, 03:16 PM
Shit, you're right about Outlaw, I stand corrected. I thought he signed that big contract in 99-00, but nope, it was 00-01. Fucking retards in Orlando not keeping Wallace when his cap hit would have only been like $1.3 million and then they could have gone over the cap to re-sign him to a market value deal after using up all their capspace. Or more likely, their garbage owner Rich Devos being too cheap to build a winner. I mean Wallace wasn't Detroit Ben Wallace in 99-00, but he started getting recognition as a major part of that much better than expected 99-00 season and to lose him when he would have only counted $1.3 million against the cap was ludicrous.

You're right about Wallace. That was a terrible move to trade him. He was one of / if not the top rebounder in the league and a terrific defender. To add to their misery, Grant was never healthy and missed all sorts of games.

KobesAchilles
05-22-2021, 10:47 PM
Bump

ducks
08-06-2021, 07:55 PM
:lol the front office begging him to coach the last two years only for them to miss the playoffs in both seasons