04-07-2021, 06:45 PM
PG: magic
SG: michael
SF: bird
PF: timmy
C: shaq

gambit1990
04-07-2021, 06:46 PM
not sure if already posted. fantastic lineup though. i really never see current / current-ish players have td in their five, even though that's where he belongs.

lefty
04-07-2021, 06:55 PM
A couple of years ago he had Hakeem at the C and Zeke at PG

But it’s ok to change your opinion, non issue tbh

:lol or maybe he didn’t want to offend Shaq

DAF86
04-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Curry
Jordan
Lebron
Durant
Duncan

RC_Drunkford
04-07-2021, 07:07 PM
even Steven A. Smith has Tim Duncan in his all-time starting five...

SpurPadre
04-07-2021, 07:11 PM
For today's game, Da Admiral would be a MUCH better pick than Shaq at the 5, tbh.

Spurtacular
04-07-2021, 07:15 PM
For today's game, Da Admiral would be a MUCH better pick than Shaq at the 5, tbh.

For today's NBA, Dirk at 5.

DMC
04-07-2021, 07:50 PM
So who else knew Tim Duncan was on that list before looking? Otherwise it wouldn't have been posted on the spurs forum.

You always have to take the best power forward of all time at the power forward position. It's a no-brainer. The other positions other than Michael Jordan are a toss-up.

I would take LeBron over Bird.

DMC
04-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Curry
Jordan
Lebron
Durant
Duncan

If they stayed healthy that be probably the greatest team ever assembled despite the fact you don't have any real body in the paint other than Tim Duncan.

But Curry is a shoot-first point guard as he should be. You can't have everyone on the team handling the ball at the same time. Someone on the team has to be willing to pass the ball and there's at least two people on the team who probably wouldn't.

gambit1990
04-07-2021, 07:53 PM
even Steven A. Smith has Tim Duncan in his all-time starting five...
does he? that surprises me.

i did say current / current-ish players list though.

gambit1990
04-07-2021, 07:56 PM
So who else knew Tim Duncan was on that list before looking? Otherwise it wouldn't have been posted on the spurs forum.
probably everyone :lol

the point i was making is that modern players usually don't mention td being top five. at least not the most popular modern players.

3&D_TBH
04-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Can you imagine the defense if you went Timmy at the 4 and Hakeem at the 5? I think Lebron at the point, Kobe at the 2, MJ at the 3, then Timmy and Hakeem at the 4 and 5 would be an absolutely brutal lineup. Who the fuck is gonna score on that group?

timvp
04-07-2021, 08:07 PM
PG: magic
SG: michael
SF: bird
PF: timmy
C: shaq

Meh. By today's standards, there's not enough shooting. Dejounte Murray is regarded as a non-shooter and he shoots threes more frequently than Bird, Jordan or Magic, tbh. You put that fivesome into today's league with today's rules and teams would just pack the paint on one end and then pick-and-roll Shaq to death, tbkh.

3&D_TBH
04-07-2021, 08:15 PM
Meh. By today's standards, there's not enough shooting. Dejounte Murray is regarded as a non-shooter and he shoots threes more frequently than Bird, Jordan or Magic, tbh. You put that fivesome into today's league with today's rules and teams would just pack the paint on one end and then pick-and-roll Shaq to death, tbkh. Disagree. Bird and MJ (especially Bird) could easily up their volume of threes with good percentages. You act like they couldn’t just shoot more threes to keep the spacing decent. Also, there are other advantages that this team would have over every opponent that you fail to mention such as rebounding. With that lineup they would lead the league in second chance points by a wide margin. They could put up as many threes as they want because their offensive rebounding advantage would be absurd.

gambit1990
04-07-2021, 08:17 PM
Disagree. Bird and MJ (especially Bird) could easily up their volume of threes with good percentages. You act like they couldn’t just shoot more threes to keep the spacing decent. Also, there are other advantages that this team would have over every opponent that you fail to mention such as rebounding. With that lineup they would lead the league in second chance points by a wide margin. They could put up as many threes as they want because their offensive rebounding advantage would be absurd.
pretty much what i was gonna say.

mo7888
04-07-2021, 08:18 PM
Meh. By today's standards, there's not enough shooting. Dejounte Murray is regarded as a non-shooter and he shoots threes more frequently than Bird, Jordan or Magic, tbh. You put that fivesome into today's league with today's rules and teams would just pack the paint on one end and then pick-and-roll Shaq to death, tbkh.

Why is the premise that we are talking about today's standards or rules?

gambit1990
04-07-2021, 08:19 PM
everyone keeps mentioning today's NBA but what frontcout in today's NBA is stopping TD and shaq? :lol

that's what, 9 championships and 6 finals mvps between the two.

3&D_TBH
04-07-2021, 08:23 PM
everyone keeps mentioning today's NBA but what frontcout in today's NBA is stopping TD and shaq? :lol

that's what, 9 championships and 6 finals mvps between the two. Teams better be elite at shooting the three because they are not getting any buckets in the paint against Timmy and Shaq. :lmao

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-07-2021, 09:13 PM

what if its orlando shaq?

lefty
04-08-2021, 12:48 AM

that's what, 9 championships and 6 finals mvps between the two.

Teams better be elite at shooting the three because they are not getting any buckets in the paint against Timmy and Shaq. :lmao

lol Shaq wouldn’t keep up defensively in today’s NBA :lol
Antiquated player :lol
old heads and their logic :lol

lefty
04-08-2021, 12:49 AM

Spurtacular
04-08-2021, 03:27 AM

Very sad commentary on today's NBA.

lefty
04-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Very sad commentary on today's NBA.
Bruh, stop living in the past tbh :lol

rjv
04-08-2021, 09:53 AM
i'd rather have kareem at center, tbh.

lefty
04-08-2021, 09:56 AM
Hakeem is the GOAT center and this is not debatable

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2021, 10:52 AM

Of course a team with that much star power would force the powers that be into changing the rules to accommodate them. The return of hand check! The NBA wouldn't let that group lose in the first round.

KobesAchilles
04-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Nash
Reggie
Larry
Dirk
Robinson

Seventyniner
04-08-2021, 01:01 PM

True, but LeBron would be a much better pick than Timmy at the 4.

DMC
04-08-2021, 07:35 PM
probably everyone :lol

the point i was making is that modern players usually don't mention td being top five. at least not the most popular modern players.

He didn't say Tim was top 5. He filled out a team by position. Two different things, best 5 ever and best at position. You couldn't have a great team with the top 5 all time players. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that could beat the Warriors when they were at full strength.

DMC
04-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Nash
Reggie
Larry
Dirk
Robinson

NO Reggie. Where's the defense on that team other than Dave?

Teams have to play at both ends. It's not a shooting contest.

KobesAchilles
04-08-2021, 08:16 PM
NO Reggie. Where's the defense on that team other than Dave?

Teams have to play at both ends. It's not a shooting contest.
Defense my ass. Nobody stops stars. Dirk put up like 40 on prime Duncan in 06. They score 2 I will score 3. Play zone and make them shoot jumpers

DMC
04-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Defense my ass. Nobody stops stars. Dirk put up like 40 on prime Duncan in 06. They score 2 I will score 3. Play zone and make them shoot jumpers

So putting up 40 means jack shit if your opponent puts up 50. :lol Nash and Dirk on the all time list... played together couldn't do shit. Nash 0 and forever.

Phenomanul
04-08-2021, 08:56 PM

Duncan was rarely paired up against Dirk in that series... T'was defense by committee - mainly Horry and Bowen.

KobesAchilles
04-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Duncan was rarely paired up against Dirk in that series... T'was defense by committee - mainly Horry and Bowen.
Bc Duncan couldn’t guard Dirk. If he could then he would’ve but he would’ve been in foul trouble the whole game. Dirk got 28 free throws in one of those games. Magic is the most overrated player ever. Dude can’t shoot or defend and he gets all this praise bc he was a winner. Dude had a cupcake conference his entire career. Magic trying to defend a pick n roll is hilarious to me.

I would have young MJ as my guard tbh bc him with a whole buncha players that can space the floor would be deadly. But I went for Reggie just to be a little different bc it’s boring to always have MJ.

Btw these all time teams are glorified all star teams so this whole he doesn’t play defense nonsense is a nonstarter to me. Nobody plays defense in all star games.

lefty
04-09-2021, 02:53 AM
Bc Duncan couldn’t guard Dirk. If he could then he would’ve but he would’ve been in foul trouble the whole game. Dirk got 28 free throws in one of those games. Magic is the most overrated player ever. Dude can’t shoot or defend and he gets all this praise bc he was a winner. Dude had a cupcake conference his entire career. Magic trying to defend a pick n roll is hilarious to me.

I would have young MJ as my guard tbh bc him with a whole buncha players that can space the floor would be deadly. But I went for Reggie just to be a little different bc it’s boring to always have MJ.

Btw these all time teams are glorified all star teams so this whole he doesn’t play defense nonsense is a nonstarter to me. Nobody plays defense in all star games.

Magic was carried by James Worthy
There , I said it

Phenomanul
04-09-2021, 11:28 PM

Tim could guard Dirk better than Dirk could guard Timmy - that's a fact. And no sane coach would've paired them against each other to avoid foul trouble for either player - that's a fact too.

KobesAchilles
04-10-2021, 12:18 AM
Tim could guard Dirk better than Dirk could guard Timmy - that's a fact. And no sane coach would've paired them against each other to avoid foul trouble for either player - that's a fact too.
It’s not who is better to me. I just prefer spacing. Like Hakeem, Tim, and Magic would get in each other’s way. Magic is also a fast break guy and Tim really wasn’t. I was watching the Stockton game winner game vs Houston and the reason the Rockets lost was bc Charles and Hakeem and Drexler all got in each other’s way. It was horrible offense to watch. I agree my defense is not the best but my offense I believe is way better than shitty 90s ball. It’s like a combo of the old and the new.

DMC
04-10-2021, 07:34 AM
It’s not who is better to me. I just prefer spacing. Like Hakeem, Tim, and Magic would get in each other’s way. Magic is also a fast break guy and Tim really wasn’t. I was watching the Stockton game winner game vs Houston and the reason the Rockets lost was bc Charles and Hakeem and Drexler all got in each other’s way. It was horrible offense to watch. I agree my defense is not the best but my offense I believe is way better than shitty 90s ball. It’s like a combo of the old and the new.

:lol Tim wasn't a fast break guy? The NBA quarterback named Tim Duncan with some of the prettiest full court outlet passes ever?

Thomas82
04-10-2021, 08:21 AM
:lol Tim wasn't a fast break guy? The NBA quarterback named Tim Duncan with some of the prettiest full court outlet passes ever?

IKR......TD and Wes Unseld are the 2 best outlet passing big men ever.

KobesAchilles
04-10-2021, 09:40 AM
Bah have you seen magic Johnson play? He takes the ball from rebound on and runs with it. Yeah Tim can pass the ball to Magic but he better be running his ass off every play bc that’s what the Lakers did. It’s why Worthy worked so well with him bc he was a rim runner. Magic is looking to push it. Then if that doesn’t work he will slow it down and dump it to Kareem (in this case Hakeem).

DMC
04-10-2021, 01:57 PM
Bah have you seen magic Johnson play? He takes the ball from rebound on and runs with it. Yeah Tim can pass the ball to Magic but he better be running his ass off every play bc that’s what the Lakers did. It’s why Worthy worked so well with him bc he was a rim runner. Magic is looking to push it. Then if that doesn’t work he will slow it down and dump it to Kareem (in this case Hakeem).

Tim was absolutely a fast break person. Magic was a point guard.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-10-2021, 10:36 PM
pre-knee duncan was fast as fuck

daslicer
04-11-2021, 12:45 AM

Duncan up until the '06-'07 season had pretty good speed. That was the season where started to decline.

Ice009
04-11-2021, 01:26 AM

Man, I hate reading takes from people that seem to me never watched a younger Tim Duncan. Tim was much quicker and could jump higher than a lot of people think. They either never saw a younger/prime Tim Duncan or their memory is that bad, they only remember the recent stuff (2008 onward).

daslicer
04-11-2021, 01:37 AM
Man, I hate reading takes from people that seem to me never watched a younger Tim Duncan. Tim was much quicker and could jump higher than a lot of people think. They either never saw a younger/prime Tim Duncan or their memory is that bad, they only remember the recent stuff (2008 onward).

What drives me nuts is that people don't really understand Duncan's knee injury. The injury didn't effect his athleticism or quickness immediately. The injury didn't start to effect him until his 30's. Wade had the same injury when he was in college and didn't lose his athletic abilities until he hit his 30's. Westbrook had the same injury several years ago and now it's starting to look like he's slowing down. What it really did deprive Duncan of was the ability to play at an MVP level throughout his 30's like we see with Lebron.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-11-2021, 04:08 PM
Duncan up until the '06-'07 season had pretty good speed. That was the season where started to decline.
I think the legs were gone by 04. Earlier in his career he used to shoot around 80 percent from the foul line. In 04 was when he started to flatline his free throws, oh god I remember that one Sunday day game against the Iverson-era Sixers where he went like 1-17 from the free throw line and they were lucky to graze the front iron.

UNT Eagles 2016
04-11-2021, 04:21 PM
All-time team I'd start a season with (assume all players are in their primes)

Starting lineup:

-PG: Nash
-SG: Curry
-SF: Thompson
-PF: James
-C: Olajuwon

Bench:
6. -PF/C Duncan (could start depending on matchups)
7. -SG/PG Jordan (I like him better off the bench than as a starter, since he's more ball-dominant)
8. -PF/SF Durant (so much versatility)
9. -C Russell (if needing extra shot blocking and defense, rebounds etc)
10. -SF/PF Bird (excellent distributor and scorer)
11. -PF/C Nowitzki (best big man shooter)
12. -C/PF Robinson (again very versatile player and great defender)
13. -SF/PF Kawhi Leonard (in case you need extra defense off the bench)

--INACTIVE--

14. -C Wilt Chamberlain (Dead)
15. -SG Kobe Bryant (Dead)

As head coach of this Team, my game plan would be to begin games by blowing teams off the court with extreme amounts of points in the first 6-7 minutes, then bring in more defensive, ball-controlling reinforcements off the bench to protect and expand the lead.

The Truth #6
04-11-2021, 04:30 PM

+1

He came along 25 years too soon.

daboom1
04-11-2021, 09:13 PM

for any era tbh Shaq got away with a lot of bs because of Donaghy referees