PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat (2021)

Trainwreck2100
04-12-2021, 06:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XvA9gOCxQ

Comes out this week on HBO max do yourself a favor and don't watch the trailer

lefty
04-12-2021, 09:48 PM
Apparently it’s utter shit :lol

DMX7
04-13-2021, 12:19 AM
The original film was great but the second one was literally one of the worst movies ever made.

Trainwreck2100
04-13-2021, 12:37 AM
The original film was great but the second one was literally one of the worst movies ever made.

Too bad you......will die

Texas_Ranger
04-13-2021, 05:17 AM
Dont give us fucking cole when theres 100 other characters that we know. I am not surprised its shit

LaMarcus Bryant
04-13-2021, 07:43 AM
Yeah who knows what adwizard came up with making the main character an Asian MMA douche named Cole :lol

I'm hoping for fun cringe, not full on cringe. Almost every character besides sub/scorp looks really dumb

Xevious
04-13-2021, 09:32 AM
Looks shitty tbh.

I know it takes a crap on the MK lore, but I was bummed they never made a feature length movie based on this:

3vKlrToX8hM

lefty
04-13-2021, 09:35 AM
:lol the 1st movie was much better

redzero
04-13-2021, 09:36 AM
Who the hell is Cole Young?

lefty
04-13-2021, 09:44 AM
Yes.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-13-2021, 09:55 AM
Looks shitty tbh.

I know it takes a crap on the MK lore, but I was bummed they never made a feature length movie based on this:

3vKlrToX8hM

This would have been cool in the 00s. But that style has passed.

Trainwreck2100
04-13-2021, 11:06 AM

I'd be fine if he's just a stand in for the audience tbqh

i'm_still_beta
04-13-2021, 11:48 AM
the 2nd movie was so bad (even Cristopher Lambert refused to take part in it) that it's actually good :lol

I like it tbh, it has some good fights

TimDunkem
04-13-2021, 12:08 PM
They're all bad films, but nostalgia is enough to keep you interested in the Paul Anderson one. I'm sure this one will be more half-decent action schlock.

Not sure what people are expecting. I agree though that the Cole character is dumb. Literally no one will care about him.

KobesAchilles
04-13-2021, 03:14 PM
Is the second one where Johnny Cage dies? Bc that one was pretty trash

Trainwreck2100
04-14-2021, 03:17 AM
Is the second one where Johnny Cage dies? Bc that one was pretty trash

the one where most of the cast of the first didn't even bother to show up cause they knew it was shit and liu kang turns into a stop motion dragon after talking to nightwolf for like 5 minutes

Reck
04-14-2021, 02:07 PM
Who are we kidding? We're all gonna watch this regardless of how trash it is. :lol

Spurtacular
04-15-2021, 12:30 AM
Who are we kidding? We're all gonna watch this regardless of how trash it is. :lol

Now come to the full terms.

Texas_Ranger
04-15-2021, 12:16 PM
the one where most of the cast of the first didn't even bother to show up cause they knew it was shit and liu kang turns into a stop motion dragon after talking to nightwolf for like 5 minutes

was that shit dragon even stop motion? All I remember is shitty cgi dragon vs shitty cgi dragon with 10 heads. I think stop motion would actually look much better than what they did.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-15-2021, 02:25 PM

When they referred to transforming into your "animality" I knew that movie was going to be notorious for all eternity.
Like imagine the writing room and they're like
"Should we include animalities? Like have them transform into creatures?"
"Well the budget would mean low quality CGI, but I guess we can have a scene or two. How would it fit the story?"
"Well they undergo training to find their 'animality' then they transform"

Trainwreck2100
04-15-2021, 03:47 PM
When they referred to transforming into your "animality" I knew that movie was going to be notorious for all eternity.
Like imagine the writing room and they're like
"Should we include animalities? Like have them transform into creatures?"
"Well the budget would mean low quality CGI, but I guess we can have a scene or two. How would it fit the story?"
"Well they undergo training to find their 'animality' then they transform"

It was like they saw that the friendship worked in the first movie so they should just go with all the other batshit stuff

Trainwreck2100
04-15-2021, 03:49 PM
Also as an aside I wish they took a more epic traditional movie score rif on the mk theme rather than the full dubstep route this version will always be my favorite, it just sucks you can't find it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

LaMarcus Bryant
04-15-2021, 03:53 PM
Also as an aside I wish they took a more epic traditional movie score rif on the mk theme rather than the full dubstep route this version will always be my favorite, it just sucks you can't find it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

Although their overall continuity of the MK storyline is total crap, the NRS games story mode have, for me, been awesome MK movies. With the exception that they give whack Jacqui and Cassie too much screen time.

Texas_Ranger
04-15-2021, 05:42 PM
Although their overall continuity of the MK storyline is total crap, the NRS games story mode have, for me, been awesome MK movies. With the exception that they give whack Jacqui and Cassie too much screen time.

well they did 2 resets pretty much. First with MK9 and now with MK11. I did like the 9 story much more than the next two. 11 was pretty meh. Also, Takeda and Kung Jin should have been in there. I loved playing with Takeda especially in 10.

Trainwreck2100
04-15-2021, 06:09 PM
well they did 2 resets pretty much. First with MK9 and now with MK11. I did like the 9 story much more than the next two. 11 was pretty meh. Also, Takeda and Kung Jin should have been in there. I loved playing with Takeda especially in 10.

Had to reset after Anihilation, cause they killed liu kang and deadly alliance. Had to reset again in MK11 cause they killed Liu Kang in MK9. Had to turn Liu Kang into an unkillable god in mk11 only to reset everything again in Aftermath

Texas_Ranger
04-16-2021, 09:09 PM
Ok, its not shit. Its kinda ok. Sub zero ice effects are pretty damn good. Scorpion vs sub zero are also pretty much best fights in the film. I dont know which character i liked most, as they all got little screen time. Well, cole got the most time and i didnt really like him. He wast even that bad, but just kinda meh. The way the characters get powers is also weird. I think it makes sense with Liu Kang, but not with Kano or Jax. Oh, Liu Kang is fucked in this movie. He is just a side character, which sucks. On the other hand Cole goes from losing to a normal mma fighter, to defeating 2 strongest characters. Kugn Lao has a great kill, but most of the fatalities were pretty shit. I expected more. Also, most fights are happening during night, so u cant really see a lot. They also should have used the mk song more. I think the reptile vs liu kang from 95 is still the best fight in an mk movie and that film is still better for me. Gotta say i am happy this wasnt as shit as i thought it will be. Now lets wait for the sequel and johnny cage.
Oh and this was not a tournament film, but just Shang Tsung sending his fighters to kill the good guys before the tournament even starts. Idk how that works, cause i always thought there has to be a tournament if outworld wants to rule. In this movie Shang Tsung is kinda like, fuck the elder gods, lets kill them right away. 95 Raiden is also much, much better. Id say only Sonya is better than the 95 one. I did enjoy Kano, but here he does get much more screen time than in the last film and both of them were good.

FrostKing
04-16-2021, 10:43 PM
https://youtu.be/JHIfHL5UgFs

Spurtacular
04-19-2021, 12:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w&ab_channel=silvergunner2

DMX7
04-21-2021, 12:16 AM
I watched the preview on HBO Max ( the first few minutes of the movie one ). It definitely looked good enough to watch the rest. Looking forward to it.

Texas_Ranger
04-21-2021, 12:23 PM
I watched the preview on HBO Max ( the first few minutes of the movie one ). It definitely looked good enough to watch the rest. Looking forward to it.

by far the best part of the movie. after that it kinda goes downhill.

DMX7
04-21-2021, 02:27 PM

That's too bad. I'll still watch though.

Texas_Ranger
04-21-2021, 02:29 PM
That's too bad. I'll still watch though.

yea, it is worth a watch for sure.

DJR210
04-22-2021, 04:46 PM

Same.. the little details like Sub Zero and Scorpion speaking their native languages gives me hope for the rest of the movie. The Scorpion cartoon was pretty good, so hoping they get this one right

Reck
04-22-2021, 07:18 PM
Getting decent reviews.

Reck
04-23-2021, 12:04 PM
5/10

The acting is slightly better than the other two cheesy movies. It’s like they hear Mortal Kombat and they go into lazy acting mode. Really no efforts put into acting here.

Kano was hilarious though.

Texas_Ranger
04-23-2021, 01:22 PM
5/10

The acting is slightly better than the other two cheesy movies. It’s like they hear Mortal Kombat and they go into lazy acting mode. Really no efforts put into acting here.

Kano was hilarious though.

Perhaps better than in mk2. But no way its better than in 1. There also was not a lot of time to really make these characters iconic after just one movie. Cole is by far the worst actor and he gets the most time. I hope this gets a sequel and Cole gets Jonny Cage from mk2 death at the start of the film.

Reck
04-23-2021, 01:45 PM
Perhaps better than in mk2. But no way its better than in 1. There also was not a lot of time to really make these characters iconic after just one movie. Cole is by far the worst actor and he gets the most time. I hope this gets a sequel and Cole gets Jonny Cage from mk2 death at the start of the film.

True. They really forced in the Scorpion connection instead of just having you know...Scorpion the whole movie.

Also, his family dies from being frozen but Cole's gets to live while also being frozen but somehow live and even get defreeze but not the other?

Texas_Ranger
04-23-2021, 02:34 PM
True. They really forced in the Scorpion connection instead of just having you know...Scorpion the whole movie.

Also, his family dies from being frozen but Cole's gets to live while also being frozen but somehow live and even get defreeze but not the other?

The scorpion actor was great and got way too little screen time. Him and sub zero were the best part for me.
I think Hanzo's wife had something like a blade in her back while she was frozen.

koriwhat
04-23-2021, 02:52 PM
I guess I'll check it out eventually considering I got HBO MAX at the shop now because a client put it on my firestick. I always liked the MK franchise just because it came out when I was a kid and can remember exactly where I was when I got to play it for the first time on a SNES. Good times!

Reck
04-23-2021, 03:45 PM
I guess I'll check it out eventually considering I got HBO MAX at the shop now because a client put it on my firestick. I always liked the MK franchise just because it came out when I was a kid and can remember exactly where I was when I got to play it for the first time on a SNES. Good times!

lol you mean you let your boyfriend pimp your spot. :lol calf

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2021, 11:37 PM
Like that they kept some stuff from the game

Bi Han having noob saibot's colors when he dies
Kung Lao dying like a bitch, when he got his fatality off I thought he'd be safe but no, he went out like a bitch
Lui Kang spamming the leg sweep was pretty funny as well.

I won't say cole ruined the movie but his fucking character really made no sense except to trick us into thinking scorpion was gonna take over his body for the fight and it never happened.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-24-2021, 02:00 PM
Like that they kept some stuff from the game

Bi Han having noob saibot's colors when he dies
Kung Lao dying like a bitch, when he got his fatality off I thought he'd be safe but no, he went out like a bitch
Lui Kang spamming the leg sweep was pretty funny as well.

I won't say cole ruined the movie but his fucking character really made no sense except to trick us into thinking scorpion was gonna take over his body for the fight and it never happened.

That's pretty good Trainwreck, I didn't even pick up on the dead Bihan looking burnt up being Noob.

I thought the movie was fun. Kept me entertained. They basically made it kinda like super hero movies the way they acquired projectiles, hell Kano flat out asks when he's getting his super powers lmao.

I thought kano looked like a pussy but was hilarious.
The fight scenes and action were tight.
Fuck Cole and I love Goro but him going game of Thrones on Goro had me getting up and yelling lol, that was awesome.
I enjoyed it, 1995 still superior. Needed the techno MK music

I also liked Sonya, I believed her action scenes lol

I hope they make more.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-24-2021, 02:02 PM
So was Shang at the end setting up for the fallen characters to be Revanants?

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2021, 03:37 PM
So was Shang at the end setting up for the fallen characters to be Revanants?
Nah he'll probably just necromance them back, especially kano he got stabbed in his eye so hes definitely getting the plate in the next movie. Sonya got her ass kicked in terms of power which makes sense cause shes tiny and powerless for must off the movie. Glad they had her use her brains instead of some girl power bullshit.

Reck
04-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Already talking about a sequel? Getting a bit ahead, no?

This doesn't look like a movie that will do all that great in theater given how terrible everything is outside of the action sequence. Maybe a direct to stream seems more like with a lot less of a budget.

Texas_Ranger
04-24-2021, 04:55 PM

This doesn't look like a movie that will do all that great in theater given how terrible everything is outside of the action sequence. Maybe a direct to stream seems more like with a lot less of a budget.

i think not even all action scenes looked that good. Only Scorpion and Sub Zero stuff looked pretty good, but even those fights werent as good as the Reptile and Scorpion figths from 95. At least in my opinion. This also has to make at least 150M for them to make a sequel. Even tho I didn't really like it, I do hope they make it, cause i am interested to see what they make of Jonny Cage and other characters.

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2021, 05:18 PM
i think not even all action scenes looked that good. Only Scorpion and Sub Zero stuff looked pretty good, but even those fights werent as good as the Reptile and Scorpion figths from 95. At least in my opinion. This also has to make at least 150M for them to make a sequel. Even tho I didn't really like it, I do hope they make it, cause i am interested to see what they make of Jonny Cage and other characters.

Here's a little trivia about those fights they weren't in the original cut and only added because test audiences said there weren't enough fights, both were choreographed by the guy who played liu kang

Texas_Ranger
04-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Here's a little trivia about those fights they weren't in the original cut and only added because test audiences said there weren't enough fights, both were choreographed by the guy who played liu kang

yea, i knew that. Robin Shou did great at making those fights. The music also makes that Reptile fight pretty damn good. Best trivia from the 95 one is that Tom Cruise was kicked of the set and that Cameron Diaz would be playing Sonya if she didnt hurt her wrist 2 months into training.

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2021, 06:18 PM

They may not green light a sequel but a bunch of the actors are signed on to multi movie deals

NASpurs
04-24-2021, 07:24 PM
I bailed with 30 minutes left :lol

Texas_Ranger
04-24-2021, 08:02 PM
I bailed with 30 minutes left :lol

i watched it today again, cause a friend wanted to see it and he fell asleep half way. That part when they come to the Raiden temple really is boring.

koriwhat
04-24-2021, 08:52 PM
lol you mean you let your boyfriend pimp your spot. :lol calf

You're so funny bro.. Almost as funny as claiming this MK is any better than the old ones that sucked just as much. Weak as fuck movie just like you bro. :tu

NASpurs
04-24-2021, 09:01 PM
i watched it today again, cause a friend wanted to see it and he fell asleep half way. That part when they come to the Raiden temple really is boring.

The best part of the movie was the first ten minutes with the Sub-zero/Japan plot. I was excited thinking it was going to be like that. Was all down hill after that. I dont give a shit about Cole. Kano was the only good character.

Texas_Ranger
04-24-2021, 09:18 PM
The best part of the movie was the first ten minutes with the Sub-zero/Japan plot. I was excited thinking it was going to be like that. Was all down hill after that. I dont give a shit about Cole. Kano was the only good character.

yeap, that part is by far the best. They even put it on youtube like 2 days before the movie hit HBO/cinemas, so i think they also knew that was the best part. But, as you said, it goes downhill after that.

Trill Clinton
04-24-2021, 09:24 PM
They should have gotten whoever choreographed the Ip man series to do the fight scenes.

Texas_Ranger
04-24-2021, 09:28 PM
give it to Gareth Evans who made the Raid movies and cast Scott Adkins as Cage. It sucks that the studio will probably give the Cage role to someone who can't fight at all, so his fights will look like shit in the movie.

NASpurs
04-24-2021, 09:29 PM
yeap, that part is by far the best. They even put it on youtube like 2 days before the movie hit HBO/cinemas, so i think they also knew that was the best part. But, as you said, it goes downhill after that.

Seems like you said it before me, my bad. Guess I wasn’t the only one. :lol

DMC
04-25-2021, 02:05 AM
Good movie overall, had some slow moments and lampooned itself a bit, but the fight scenes were done well. The main protagonist was a pussy though. What was his power, getting the shit kicked out of him?

djohn2oo8
04-26-2021, 12:12 AM
Can’t believe how shit this was. Have to wait a whole movie to introduce Johnny Cage while Making Cole Young the damn star lol who couldn’t act for shit either

djohn2oo8
04-26-2021, 12:15 AM
They may not green light a sequel but a bunch of the actors are signed on to multi movie deals
They need to forget that shit. Hardly any of them could act the dialogue was terrible. “He’s about to get his soul sucked”. Come on man :lol

DMC
04-26-2021, 01:26 PM
They have gone back to the Subzero/Scorpion well way too much and not developed any characters past introductory levels. Even Liu Kang is a pussy with only his finishing moves highlighted. The 1st few minutes of Subzero and Scorpion were great, showed promise. Once they introduced that fucking pussy Cole and the stupid family angle, it turned south quickly. Kung Lao was on though, just need to shitcan the Cole idea.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-26-2021, 02:47 PM
I think the MCU's past success has changed people's mindset going into action/scifi films like both this and Godzilla vs Kong.... they expect really well rounded movies with top notch CGI, action, character development, etc etc...

MK is a video game movie and on that scale it was pretty fucking entertaining lol. I laughed at the cheesiness. Kano was like this movie's Johnny Cage, bewildered at all the nonsense of it all and giving us laughs along the way. Let's just hope Cole isn't in the next one :lol

Xevious
04-26-2021, 02:59 PM
I think the MCU's past success has changed people's mindset going into action/scifi films like both this and Godzilla vs Kong.... they expect really well rounded movies with top notch CGI, action, character development, etc etc...

MK is a video game movie and on that scale it was pretty fucking entertaining lol. I laughed at the cheesiness. Kano was like this movie's Johnny Cage, bewildered at all the nonsense of it all and giving us laughs along the way. Let's just hope Cole isn't in the next one :lol
That "it's just a video game movie" mindset needs to fucking change. There are plenty of games nowadays that take a massive shit on most movies when it comes to complexity of narratives, character development, etc. Yet these studios keep missing the mark because all they focus on are visuals.

LaMarcus Bryant
04-26-2021, 03:28 PM
That "it's just a video game movie" mindset needs to fucking change. There are plenty of games nowadays that take a massive shit on most movies when it comes to complexity of narratives, character development, etc. Yet these studios keep missing the mark because all they focus on are visuals.

That's true who doesn't want better movies for any genre ever? But video game movies A to Z are what they are thus far. The abortion well goes deep with video game movies lol

Texas_Ranger
04-26-2021, 04:16 PM

Its sad that a movie from 95 that was based on the first 2 games, which had pretty much no story in them, is superior to this shit in everything other than the CGI. I didnt expect a masterpiece from a first time director and a writer that cant write, but still it should have been better. Perhaps just follow the story of the game and dont make retarded characters like Cole Young, cause you think the audience needs a character to introduce you to this universe. Imagine Harry Potter having a Cole Young in there. So yea, I guess I do expect them to make a good video game movie and not just put fatalities in there and expect everyone to be happy.