PDA

View Full Version : THIS is the Contract Demar Deserves...

NK123
04-14-2021, 04:40 AM
4-Years / 128m

1st year - Around 35m
2nd year - Around 33m
3rd year - Around 31m
4th year - Around 29m

Hope both parties agree.

lefty20
04-14-2021, 05:10 AM
Pass, of the hard variety.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 06:20 AM
4-Years / 128m

1st year - Around 35m
2nd year - Around 33m
3rd year - Around 31m
4th year - Around 29m

Hope both parties agree.

Spurs have another FA window in two years. That’s how long they want to pay him.

T_Carter
04-14-2021, 08:11 AM
Take a look at the contracts that guys that produce like him get, he will surely get more than that. Probably something like:

Year 1 - 38M
Year 2 - 40M
Year 3 - 42M
Year 4 - 44M
Year 5 - 45M player option.

He already took a discount on his first extension with the raps, he will NOT be taking another discount.

KingKev
04-14-2021, 08:40 AM
Brian Wright has entered the chat! His first big move signing DDR to a franchise crippling 4yr deal just to buy him out in year 3

itzsoweezee
04-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Lol

Truly some psycho shit

KobesAchilles
04-14-2021, 09:12 AM
no deal unless it is the max contract that he deserves

look_at_g_shred
04-14-2021, 09:18 AM
Take a look at the contracts that guys that produce like him get, he will surely get more than that. Probably something like:

Year 1 - 38M
Year 2 - 40M
Year 3 - 42M
Year 4 - 44M
Year 5 - 45M player option.

He already took a discount on his first extension with the raps, he will NOT be taking another discount.
No one is giving him that contract other than the spurs.

T_Carter
04-14-2021, 09:32 AM
That's what it'll take for the Spurs to keep him. This is is last big contract. In a world were guys like John Wall, Pascal Siakam, Tobias Harris, Kemba Walker, Khris Middleton, Gordon Hayward, e.t.c will all be getting 35 Mil and up...You can bet Demar's agent will be bringing that into the negotiation.

Dex
04-14-2021, 10:02 AM
He deserves that contract.

Spurs don't need give it to him.

KingKev
04-14-2021, 10:14 AM
DDR’s price tag for a B or C tier franchise (which the Spurs are) is around what Hayward got last off season and probably what we will have to throw at him to retain him; 4yrs, 30mm/yr. Keep in mind few teams can actually pay him that outright this offseason. If he wants to win he will likely have to work with the Spurs on a sign and trade and I doubt any real contender will pay him more than 3yrs 25mm/yr in that situation unless the Spurs are taking some real garbage back (which is a possibility).

For me I only want to see DDR back as a Spur on a team friendly deal that is 3yrs or less in the 20-25mm range and even than I’d be hesitant to do that unless we address other needs first. As exstatic pointed out this team really should be looking at 2yr deals with all this cap space. When we inevitably draft a player in the 10-15th spot who is unlikely to contribute immediately, strike out in a limited free agency class i’d prefer to just let the majority of the cap space go unused over long term deals that barely keep us in playoff contention.

I suspect there are going to be alot of disappointed Spurs fans this offseason. Despite our cap situation and a decent young core this team is unlikely to make a splash anytime soon.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Knicks might. They’re tired of being the ugly girl at the dance.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 10:16 AM
He deserves that contract.

Spurs don't need give it to him.

This. I think they made him a generous offer...for two years.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 10:18 AM
That's what it'll take for the Spurs to keep him. This is is last big contract. In a world were guys like John Wall, Pascal Siakam, Tobias Harris, Kemba Walker, Khris Middleton, Gordon Hayward, e.t.c will all be getting 35 Mil and up...You can bet Demar's agent will be bringing that into the negotiation.

Just because they’re willing to jump off a cliff, and pay beta players the MAX, we should, too?

cd021
04-14-2021, 10:22 AM
I think they'd offer 2 years, $60 million. DeRozan, isn't likely to take that so he's likely to bounce. If they go beyond 2 years, then they'd likely be a tax paying team.

Drom John
04-14-2021, 10:25 AM
FiveThirtyRaptor War

78th 2.7 WAR OG Anunoby, Deandre Ayton, DeMar DeRozan
+3.8 Offense, -3.1 Defense, +0.7 net, playing time bumps DeRozan up to 2.7 WAR.

78th in 2020-21 Salary
$15,000,000 Dāvis Bertāns

FiveThirtyEight 2020 Preseason Market Value
2021 $5.3M
2022 $3.6M
2023 $2.8M
2024 $1.6M
2025 $1.1M
2026 $0.6M
2027 $0.3M

Floyd Pacquiao
04-14-2021, 10:27 AM
Spurs are like 4-16 in the last 20 games or something and that net negative loser is leading the way JFC when are you gonna get it that he’s a career loser?

John B
04-14-2021, 10:30 AM
4-Years / 128m

1st year - Around 35m
2nd year - Around 33m
3rd year - Around 31m
4th year - Around 29m

Hope both parties agree.

I hope he'll take a 4 years contract like that, depending who Spurs bring in from FA that could help get to the next level. The young core also really need to step up from here and then to show that they can compete hard, which I think they could once Pop don't have Rudy/Mills to lean on so much.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 10:40 AM
I hope he'll take a 4 years contract like that, depending who Spurs bring in from FA that could help get to the next level. The young core also really need to step up from here and then to show that they can compete hard, which I think they could once Pop don't have Rudy/Mills to lean on so much.

You really want four more years of this? I’d personally rather throw the keys to the kids to see what they’ve got. If they can’t hack it, you reset in 2023 with a FA more in tune with today’s game.

John B
04-14-2021, 10:46 AM
You really want four more years of this? I’d personally rather throw the keys to the kids to see what they’ve got. If they can’t hack it, you reset in 2023 with a FA more in tune with today’s game.
He's a 21/7/4 and just needs a closer beside him to shoulder some, not like Aldridge was one. If for some miracle we got a KAT without gutting our young, why not?

spurraider21
04-14-2021, 10:47 AM
this thread is an act of terrorism

exstatic
04-14-2021, 10:51 AM
He's a 21/7/4 and just needs a closer beside him to shoulder some, not like Aldridge was one. If for some miracle we got a KAT without gutting our young, why not?

Because that’s an impossible scenario. Getting KAT WILL gut our youngsters, AND future picks. They’ll want 3 of them, and likely 3 first rounders on top. Have you not paid attention to the big trades over the last couple of years? That also leaves you with a terrible perimeter defender in DD, and a terrible paint and rim defender in KAT, and you’ve probably shipped out every good perimeter defender on the roster, and the picks needed to develop replacements. This is just not happening.

John B
04-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Because that’s an impossible scenario. Getting KAT WILL gut our youngsters, AND future picks. They’ll want 3 of them, and likely 3 first rounders on top. Have you not paid attention to the big trades over the last couple of years? That also leaves you with a terrible perimeter defender in DD, and a terrible paint and rim defender in KAT, and you’ve probably shipped out every good perimeter defender on the roster, and the picks needed to develop replacements. This is just not happening.
:depressed:depressed:depressed

exstatic
04-14-2021, 10:59 AM
People need to start thinking of more than just scoring. Pairing DD and KAT would be a disaster of biblical proportions.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2021, 11:15 AM
It's too bad he can be a turnstile on defense because he's a solid offensive player. He's what...4th or 5th in clutch points in the league? I have a hard time wanting to give a guy max money who hasn't proven he can help a team win. Spurs might drop to a 25 win team without him, but, maybe not.

I don't see him wanting to sign here for 2 years. No upside in that for him. This summer's deal will likely be his last big contract. He's got to push it to 4 or 5 seasons.

NK123
04-14-2021, 11:20 AM
- The problem of this team is not DeRozan.
- The problem is lack of consistent scoring outside DeRozan.
- Overall lack of consistency from the bench.
- We can solve this problem by signing a scoring option to play the 4 like Collins and make KJ and Lonnie our main scorers from the bench.
- We need better defense from the bench which we could get with the cap we have.

BatManu20
04-14-2021, 11:59 AM
Spurs are in a shitty position tbh. Giving a guy like DDR the Max (or near it) pretty much guarantees you’re not going to be a contender for the foreseeable future. But San Antonio simply does not attract free agents, so they may have no choice. LMA was an anomaly. He’s from here and wanted to be closer to his family. That ain’t happening again. Will be interesting to see what they do. I think even PATFO don’t really know what they’re going to do yet tbh. They’re strung along with it too I’d imagine.

BatManu20
04-14-2021, 11:59 AM
With that said, I still think the Knicks are going to offer him a ludicrous contract and that’s where he’ll be playing ball for the next few years. Max contract in a big market and he gets to return to the East. That’s my gut feeling tbh.

NK123
04-14-2021, 12:12 PM
With that said, I still think the Knicks are going to offer him a ludicrous contract and that’s where he’ll be playing ball for the next few years. Max contract in a big market and he gets to return to the East. That’s my gut feeling tbh.

With the way they play Randle, I think it would be a bad fit for Demar.
RJ is like a lite version of DeRozan - a scorer that does not shoot.
Don't see the Knicks making the offer.
DeRozan is from Compton, the west side capital of 90's hip-hop. He would not play for the New York Knicks.

BatManu20
04-14-2021, 02:02 PM
DeRozan is from Compton, the west side capital of 90's hip-hop. He would not play for the New York Knicks.

Lol. Money talks bud. DeMar will likely go to the highest bidder.

John B
04-14-2021, 02:38 PM
It's too bad he can be a turnstile on defense because he's a solid offensive player. He's what...4th or 5th in clutch points in the league? I have a hard time wanting to give a guy max money who hasn't proven he can help a team win. Spurs might drop to a 25 win team without him, but, maybe not.

I don't see him wanting to sign here for 2 years. No upside in that for him. This summer's deal will likely be his last big contract. He's got to push it to 4 or 5 seasons.

It's not like he can't do better. He's 31 and has all the tools. And part of that also because we had Aldridge, and Patty and even Keldon who's overmatched that guys need to rush to help. I think Spurs can solve that with a better defender like Collins, less Patty and hide Demar at the least. Because you're right, Demar is a top scorer. And knowing him, he'll want to keep loyal and resign, depending who they get in the FA to help the Spurs in the next level, then sign that will be win/win to both. Demar is a good character. I don't really see him playing hard with the FO.

KingKev
04-14-2021, 02:39 PM

What the fuck does his Compton origin and rap music have to do with him not playing in NYC? I think you have watched one too many BIG vs Pac Netflix documentaries playa.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2021, 03:55 PM
It's not like he can't do better. He's 31 and has all the tools. And part of that also because we had Aldridge, and Patty and even Keldon who's overmatched that guys need to rush to help. I think Spurs can solve that with a better defender like Collins, less Patty and hide Demar at the least. Because you're right, Demar is a top scorer. And knowing him, he'll want to keep loyal and resign, depending who they get in the FA to help the Spurs in the next level, then sign that will be win/win to both. Demar is a good character. I don't really see him playing hard with the FO.

I go back and forth on Demar. But, yeah, on top of being a top offensive talent he's loyal and a high character guy. If the Spurs committed to putting the right piece or two around him the team could still be pretty special. Some of the squads Pop has assembled the last couple of years were doomed to failure, no matter how good Demar is. Patty, Bryn and Belli out there on the floor together still gives me nightmares. End of the day, if he remained a Spur, I wouldn't be upset by that decision.

Larry O
04-14-2021, 03:56 PM
Hmmm... DeMar is 31 years old right now. If PATFO were to decide to sign him for 4 years for $128 million, Hmm, that may be a hard pill to swallow, considering his age & father time will sooner or later, catch up with him. Of coarse, he's a mid range scorer who also relies on banging in the paint to get his points on the FT line. Sooner or later, he would have to evolve his game into something else, such as shooting from the 3 point line, for instance, which there has been some tidbit flashes of possibilities, but he would have to increase his production with that as he ages, or begin to think about coming off the bench as he gets older, if he continues to play as he does now. If he remains with the Spurs, I'm sure that Pop, if he's still around, will manage his minutes. But to invest in DDR now for 4 years & with that much money, considering his age & his current style of play, with the uncertainty of his willingness to change or evolve his game, but will he be really worth the signing, or should they invest in a younger player with upside potential, or just invest in the current youth & draft prospects? PATFO is loyal, but I just hope that PATFO will take a looong hard look at this before they make their decision on pulling the trigger on him. In the meantime, let the guessing games on this matter & other potential offseason Spurs' decision moves, continue... GSG!!!

RD2191
04-14-2021, 05:04 PM
Call me crazy but I see Demar staying a Spur this summer, don't ask me about specifics but dude seems loyal to a fault, so I can definitely see him and PATFO getting something worked out. And tbh who gives a shit if he stays or goes? Spurs aren't doing shit in the foreseeable future anyways. :lol

Trill Clinton
04-14-2021, 05:08 PM
Call me crazy but I see Demar staying a Spur this summer, don't ask me about specifics but dude seems loyal to a fault, so I can definitely see him and PATFO getting something worked out. And tbh who gives a shit if he stays or goes? Spurs aren't doing shit in the foreseeable future anyways. :lol

https://media.tenor.com/images/831c3e0cb785cc848733540483066978/tenor.gif

RD2191
04-14-2021, 05:16 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/831c3e0cb785cc848733540483066978/tenor.gif
:rollin

rastaspur
04-14-2021, 07:39 PM
Hard pass on those numbers.

Kurgan
04-14-2021, 09:07 PM
After three failed seasons, I'm surprised the "extend Demar crew" still has any members.

RD2191
04-14-2021, 09:10 PM
After three failed seasons, I'm surprised the "extend Demar crew" still has any members.
I mean truth is we're gonna suck with or without Derozan, but at the end of the day Demar is still somewhat of a star in the NBA and that puts fans in the seats. It might not make much sense to us long time fans but having a star player draws the casuals in. It is what it is.

Kurgan
04-14-2021, 09:14 PM
I mean truth is we're gonna suck with or without Derozan, but at the end of the day Demar is still somewhat of a star in the NBA and that puts fans in the seats. It might not make much sense to us long time fans but having a star player draws the casuals in. It is what it is.

Do fans even matter anymore with the uncertainty of the pandemic and when it will end? Why bother paying $35 mil for a fake star under these circumstances?

exstatic
04-14-2021, 09:17 PM
Spurs are in a shitty position tbh. Giving a guy like DDR the Max (or near it) pretty much guarantees you’re not going to be a contender for the foreseeable future. But San Antonio simply does not attract free agents, so they may have no choice. LMA was an anomaly. He’s from here and wanted to be closer to his family. That ain’t happening again. Will be interesting to see what they do. I think even PATFO don’t really know what they’re going to do yet tbh. They’re strung along with it too I’d imagine.
With this team, it pretty much guarantees you won’t be in the playoffs for the near future.

duncan2k5
04-14-2021, 09:26 PM

It's hilarious that some ppl still view having certain stats equate to u being a good player...his style of play is bad...he cannot play off ball...that reduces the rate of growth for young players...he also is horrible on defense and has shown HIS ENTIRE CAREER that he isn't a winner...and we wanna pay this guy at the age he is.. smfh

RD2191
04-14-2021, 09:29 PM
Do fans even matter anymore with the uncertainty of the pandemic and when it will end? Why bother paying $35 mil for a fake star under these circumstances?
As I said, it's the name recognition. And tbh I have a feeling fans will be allowed back in the stands at full capacity this upcoming season. But yeah, I agree with you that Demar is a scrub. :lol

slick'81
04-14-2021, 09:33 PM
God no

timtonymanu
04-14-2021, 09:37 PM
He should leave. It’s the best interest of both parties, tbh.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 09:42 PM

Guys past 30 never suddenly turn into better defenders, so it’s EXACTLY like that. He’s only once in his career
Been a positive DBPM, and that was 0.1.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 09:44 PM
Lol. Money talks bud. DeMar will likely go to the highest bidder.

The Knicks will be in the playoffs this year, so it would be a step up for him. He also played in TOR for years, so it’s not like he’s unused to being far from home.

exstatic
04-14-2021, 09:46 PM

Yes, please.

KingKev
04-14-2021, 09:58 PM
Yes, please.

agreed

PrimeMinister
04-14-2021, 10:15 PM

im sure Jim Dolan will be all ears

Kurgan
04-14-2021, 11:23 PM
The Knicks will be in the playoffs this year, so it would be a step up for him. He also played in TOR for years, so it’s not like he’s unused to being far from home.

He doesn't fit that Knicks roster. Randle is ball dominant and Barrett fills the same role as Demar with maybe less playmaking. There would be no touches left for Demar. They need a point guard more than anything. I think they overpay for Lonzo Ball instead. He fits the defensive makeup of their roster and gives them the playmaker they need

exstatic
04-14-2021, 11:31 PM
He doesn't fit that Knicks roster. Randle is ball dominant and Barrett fills the same role as Demar with maybe less playmaking. There would be no touches left for Demar. They need a point guard more than anything. I think they overpay for Lonzo Ball instead. He fits the defensive makeup of their roster and gives them the playmaker they need

New Orleans will match. They didn’t trade Holiday to just let Ball go in FA. DeMar will get his touches, because Dolan wants his FA score.

james evans
04-18-2021, 12:50 AM
I'm tired of all these fucking raptor fans. :lol

There's more now than Spurs fans. :lol

Spurs should not be paying this guy next year. Just like LMA. The young guys need to have space to evolve.
yo, I just don't trust popovich. He's fucking this team up purposely. I wouldn't put it past him to give Defrozen supermax and Patty $17 million a year for 5. I'm just afraid of what the old man is gonna do this summer.