PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats won't start games with a prayer

KoriEllis
09-28-2004, 03:27 AM
New NBA franchise in Charlotte won't start games with a prayer

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The new NBA franchise in Charlotte won't have a public prayer before its games, breaking with a one-of-a-kind tradition started by its predecessor.

When the expansion team opens its first home season Oct. 14 with a preseason game against Washington, fans will hear the national anthem and player introductions, but no invocation.

"The Bobcats have given careful consideration, and conducted a thorough review, of all of our game presentation options," Chris Weiller, the Bobcats' executive vice president of corporate affairs wrote. "We will follow the NBA's pre-game routine of team warm-ups, followed by our national anthem, then player introductions and the opening tip."

The Charlotte Hornets, who have since relocated to New Orleans, were the only NBA team to have a pre-game prayer. The New Orleans Hornets are still the only one of 30 NBA teams to do so, said league spokesman Brian Flinn.

Few, if any, major professional sports teams around the country include a public invocation, but it has been a tradition at professional sporting events in the Charlotte area.

The NFL's Carolina Panthers invite a different clergy member to speak at each game.

Jerry Gappens of Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord said the invocation before each race seems to have been more deeply embraced by NASCAR fans since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

"NASCAR and religion and our fans are all big slices of Americana," he said.

At the track, Gappens said they try to make sure the prayer is not specific to any particular religion.

The Bobcats plan to have three team chaplains rotate games, offering encouragement to players and staff.

The Rev. David Chadwick, a former Hornets chaplain in the mix to become a Bobcats chaplain, wishes the team would take another look at an invocation.

"I think it sets a nice, positive tone for who this community is," he said.

Solid D
09-28-2004, 11:45 AM
they try to make sure the prayer is not specific to any particular religion.

I've always admired teams that wanted to openly acknowledge God and asking for his help. Our country was established by people who included Him in their plans and vision.

Suggestion: For teams that don't wish to publicly lead their fans in prayer, due to differing faith systems, but would like to do something...a short moment (15-20 sec.) of silence allowing a time of prayer or private reflection is something that allows for a good effect on a personal level.

Brodels
09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
I've always admired teams that wanted to openly acknowledge God and asking for his help. Our country was established by people who included Him in their plans and vision.

Suggestion: For teams that don't wish to publicly lead their fans in prayer, due to differing faith systems, but would like to do something...a short moment (15-20 sec.) of silence allowing a time of prayer or private reflection is something that allows for a good effect on a personal level.

I suppose, but why does it need to happen at a sporting event? Can't people communicate with god at home, church, or on their own time? I'm not against anyone observing any religion they wish, but it just seems like the whole idea of a public prayer or even a moment of silence simply functions to push religion on those not wanting it. I realize that the moment of silence would be exactly that, but the idea behind it would almost certainly be for some fans to pray.

Why can't it be done at home? I'm paying to see a basketball game. I don't need personal reflection time at the game. I can do that at home.

Useruser666
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
"Damnit! What do you mean there's only seats left in the no-praying section?"

Useruser666 :eyebrow

Solid D
09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
True, Brodels, there is nothing wrong with allowing people to do their prayers or reflection privately (in their closet, while driving, as they go through their day, etc.). That's why I said for teams (team mgmt.) that would like to do something. The President of the U.S. could choose not to include God publicly in his thoughts but he prefers to do so. The US Treasury acknowledges, etc..

Useruser666
09-28-2004, 12:28 PM
I don't see anything wrong with a moment of silence. Make of it what you want. It's not as though they will show John Hagee preaching on the Jumbo-tron. If I saw that I think I'd have to launch my hot dog.

Bandit2981
09-28-2004, 03:36 PM
there are many prayers prayed by spectators during the game anyways, i dont think its a big deal to leave it out of the beginning :spin

tlongII
09-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Putting prayers in any kind of public event is ridiculous IMO. I don't believe God cares who wins a basketball game and I don't even believe he cares about the President praying either. This is just a reflection of human self-absorbtion.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Pretty consistent -- the Bobcats don't have a prayer next season anyway.

tekdragon
09-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Corey Benjamin
Primoz Brezec
Maurice Carter
Omar Cook
Melvin Ely
Jason Hart
Eddie House
Brandon Hunter
Jason Kapono
Brevin Knight
Emeka Okafor
Bernard Robinson
Jamal Sampson
Tamar Slay
Steve Smith
Theron Smith
Gerald Wallace
Jahidi White

Whaddya know? You're right! When the Bobcats start their games, they really won't have a prayer!

:music

Solid D
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Having been to many sporting events over the years, the only ones I can remember offering a public prayer on a regular basis were football games. College & High School games in Texas nearly always had "invocations" or prayers prior to games up until recent court rulings changed things.

For Southwest Conference games it was standard for years. They also used to have the home band play "Texas, Our Texas" along with the National Anthem at many of those games.

I don't recall anyone ever offering a prayer for a victory or other self-absorbed/selfish wishes. The prayers were nearly always for things like safety, sportsmanship and fairness, and thanks. The invocations did acknowledge a maker/creator and frequently offered thanks but they were never all that self-serving.

Useruser666
09-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I believe the prayers are that no one is injured and the game goes well. Sure, some people pray their team wins, but I believe the true spirit of it is that no one is hurt and the game has good sportsmanship.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Come on tbong.

The pre-game prayer usually asks for God to watch over the participants of the game, and the fans while at the game as well as on their way home.

It was one of the good things to see in HS and college football, before some overly reactive PC freaks went to court and got it banned.

Just another contributing factor in the decay of civility and respect in today's world.

tlongII
09-28-2004, 06:57 PM
I believe the prayers are that no one is injured and the game goes well. Sure, some people pray their team wins, but I believe the true spirit of it is that no one is hurt and the game has good sportsmanship.

So? Is that God's job?

Useruser666
09-28-2004, 07:06 PM
What I was saying was that it is the equivilent of saying "Good luck!". For those of faiths who regularly partake in such traditions it is a simple asking of their god's good will on the upcoming event. I believe that is where this tradition comes from. Another example would be "saying grace" before a meal. It is a blessing or issuance of good will. Like I mentioned before, I don't think there is anything wrong with a "Moment of Silence". I think calling it that would satisfy every relegious and non relegious peoples. It's not like you have to hold hands with anyone! :p

T Park Num 9
09-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Damn Aggie,

your pushing your religion on people you right wing facist pig.

HOW DARE YOU!!! {sarcasm}

What a suprise, more people not wanting to "offend" someone.

the PC shit gets fuckin old.

dcole50
09-28-2004, 09:08 PM
the PC shit gets fuckin old.

It's just unnecessary to have a prayer before the game. I don't see why anyone would get so worked up about it. Pray before you leave the house if you feel you must ..

A moment of silence is more understandable, but I don't think it is necessary to have it either.

ducks
09-28-2004, 09:37 PM
is it necessacy to have the National Athleme before every game?

I am not trying to be un american either here just asking a question