PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge Hall Of Fame?

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 11:53 AM
What are his chances? I thought he needed to stick around and stat pad a few more years, to reach well over 20,000 points for his career.. He retires just 49 pts shy of the mark.

He retires a 7 time AS, 5 All NBA selections (No 1st team selections) 19 PTS, 8 Reb for his career. His 4 best seasons in Portland he was 21/8, 21/9, 23/11 and 23/10. He also was 23/9 and 21/9 for the Spurs. He was a very durable, mostly healthy player. Never played in the finals but in 9 postseasons for his career, he was 21/9. The argument against him would be he is just shy of certain benchmark stats, and no ring. I say he is borderline and may get in eventually.

Dex
04-16-2021, 11:57 AM
I would say about 69%

GAustex
04-16-2021, 12:26 PM
I don’t think he deserves it but my opinion don’t count.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 12:30 PM
I don’t think he deserves it but my opinion don’t count.

I would say no for my personal HOF.. But when you got players like Hill and T-Mac in, once dominant but mostly injury plagued careers who knows?

Sugus
04-16-2021, 12:37 PM
Lol, he's an absolute lock. Not only due to the achievements and accolades he amassed during his career, and the ridiculously low standards of the Basketball HoF, but also plainly because of his early retirement. Players that experience such traumatic events are usually seen in a much better light than if they'd just faded out into the background and retired; the same way Kobe's legacy got a massive boost after his untimely death. Maybe the real question would be - is he a first ballot HoF? What class would he be in, and against what competition?

timvp
04-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Basketball-reference calculates his HoF chances at 50%. That's probably fair, tbh. I think he'll get in eventually but not on the first ballot. If players like Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller are in the Hall of Fame, there's really not an argument that Aldridge shouldn't be in. He had a better career than all three of those guys.

exstatic
04-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Basketball-reference has a formula they use, and he’s basically a coin flip, just a smudge over 50%.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 12:49 PM
Basketball-reference calculates his HoF chances at 50%. That's probably fair, tbh. I think he'll get in eventually but not on the first ballot. If players like Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller are in the Hall of Fame, there's really not an argument that Aldridge shouldn't be in. He had a better career than all three of those guys.

Reggie got in mostly due to his overrated status as a great clutch player in the playoffs.. Knicks/Pacers rivalry, had a few huge moments. But he had tons of playoff flubs as well, game 7 against the Bulls in 98 he might as well have stayed at the Hotel.. Took 1 shot in the 4th QTR..

Seventyniner
04-16-2021, 12:49 PM
Lol, he's an absolute lock. Not only due to the achievements and accolades he amassed during his career, and the ridiculously low standards of the Basketball HoF, but also plainly because of his early retirement. Players that experience such traumatic events are usually seen in a much better light than if they'd just faded out into the background and retired; the same way Kobe's legacy got a massive boost after his untimely death. Maybe the real question would be - is he a first ballot HoF? What class would he be in, and against what competition?

Do you have a more borderline example of this? I see your point, but Kobe was going to be first-ballot whether the crash happened or not.

KobesAchilles
04-16-2021, 01:25 PM
if it was football then no but everyone gets in the basketball hall of fame.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 01:33 PM
if it was football then no but everyone gets in the basketball hall of fame.

Baseball very little chance either.. I am NOT a fan of the Basketball HOF making it too easy to make the Hall.. Kind of Makes Timmy going in along with Kobe, and KG less significant..

KobesAchilles
04-16-2021, 01:45 PM
Baseball very little chance either.. I am NOT a fan of the Basketball HOF making it too easy to make the Hall.. Kind of Makes Timmy going in along with Kobe, and KG less significant..
They should just make an NBA Hall of Fame and then some hard rules for it like Baseball has done. 7-8 time all star is the bar. If you make 7 all nba 1 or 2nd team. If you average like 12 rebounds a game and have 2 DPOY then you're in. I haven't really thought too much about this but like T-Mac (who I loved as a player), Grant Hill, and Chris Webber should not make the Hall of Fame.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 01:52 PM
They should just make an NBA Hall of Fame and then some hard rules for it like Baseball has done. 7-8 time all star is the bar. If you make 7 all nba 1 or 2nd team. If you average like 12 rebounds a game and have 2 DPOY then you're in. I haven't really thought too much about this but like T-Mac (who I loved as a player), Grant Hill, and Chris Webber should not make the Hall of Fame.

Pretty much agree.. I don't know how T-Mac dealt with nothing but criticism over his career in his prime over playoff failures, then spent the whole 2nd half of his career injured and made the Hall? Grant Hill. Great NBA player for about 6 years... Very popular among players and writers it seems. But Then he spent the next decade injured.. Neither are HOF players IMO..

BTW if Webber gets in, they have got to be Fucking Kidding..

cd021
04-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Isn't it extremely rare for players who haven't made at least 5 all-stars not to make it? I think he'll get in tbh.

spurs10
04-16-2021, 04:11 PM
I think he'll make it in. A ring from the Nets should help.

MultiTroll
04-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Watered down award.

Who picks anyways? Media dumbfucks?

cd98
04-16-2021, 04:14 PM
His numbers should make him a HOF player, but he was never really loved by the media, so I could see him getting snubbed a few times.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 04:16 PM
His numbers should make him a HOF player, but he was never really loved by the media, so I could see him getting snubbed a few times.

Career was largely under the radar, and he retires without a ring.. I could see him missing altogether, or getting the Nod way down the road..

MultiTroll
04-16-2021, 05:23 PM
Career was largely under the radar, and he retires without a ring.. I could see him missing altogether, or getting the Nod way down the road..
For comparisons sake, Chuck Barkley.

IMO Barkley >>>>> Aldridge.

BatManu20
04-16-2021, 05:40 PM
He’s basically the poster child for “on the cusp.” He’ll likely get in eventually, simply cause the Basketball HOF let’s everyone in, but certainly won’t be First Ballot.

Mr. Body
04-16-2021, 06:04 PM
He walks in. He's a lock.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 06:36 PM
For comparisons sake, Chuck Barkley.

IMO Barkley >>>>> Aldridge.

Barkley was one of the best players of his era..

james evans
04-16-2021, 07:19 PM
Ralph Sampson and Chris Mullin are there. Ralph Sampson had 3 good full seasons in his whole career before the injuries started. Every time someone starts a thread talking about Melo or another player isn't deserving of the HOF, I just simply remind them of Ralph Sampson being in the Hall of fame. Now they may have included his college career because he's one of the greatest college players ever, but if that's the case, then hank Gathers and Lionel Simmons should be in the hall of fame too.

MultiTroll
04-16-2021, 07:21 PM
Barkley was one of the best players of his era..
Which is part of what HOF should be.

But let the media b.s. continue.
I'm trying to look up who in the hell selects the members. So far article says "super secret group of 9"
WTF is that?

Anyway with ESPN naming Bruce Jender Sportsman of the year, Kirby Bryant doing All Star teams after playing 7 games and shooting 28%......if Aldridge get in...whatever.
He certainly had a decent career and most importantly his ticker did't go out and he gets to walk away as a multi multi millionaire.

Sugus
04-16-2021, 07:43 PM
Do you have a more borderline example of this? I see your point, but Kobe was going to be first-ballot whether the crash happened or not.

Good question - I actually don't, because I wasn't specifically talking about HoF chances. Of course Kobe was gonna be first ballot - I was more talking about how his "status", his ranking in GOAT arguments, the way people look at his game and history, were all affected due to his untimely death, giving him an "unfair" or unearned edge over players who didn't meet such tragic fate. In a weird way, it's good that I can't think of other examples, luckily that sort of thing doesn't happen too often....

cd98
04-16-2021, 07:46 PM
Why the surprise the Chris Mullin made the hall of fame? He was a great player and he was on Dream Team 1. He used to destroy the Spurs. He'd have 30 points in his sleep against us and we had a good defensive team with David Robinson.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 07:52 PM
Ralph Sampson and Chris Mullin are there. Ralph Sampson had 3 good full seasons in his whole career before the injuries started. Every time someone starts a thread talking about Melo or another player isn't deserving of the HOF, I just simply remind them of Ralph Sampson being in the Hall of fame. Now they may have included his college career because he's one of the greatest college players ever, but if that's the case, then hank Gathers and Lionel Simmons should be in the hall of fame too.

I wish the standards were higher, and LA really should NOT be in. But based on standards today he is 50/50.. IMO guys without rings need to have careers like Ewing or Barkley.. But WTF is Chris Mullin doing in the HOF? In 13 seasons in GS he only made the playoffs 5 times.. Scored just 17,000 PTS for his career and was not exactly a defender..

Melo obviously is in based on the numbers.. But I don't think he had a particularly impactful career..

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 07:53 PM
Why the surprise the Chris Mullin made the hall of fame? He was a great player and he was on Dream Team 1. He used to destroy the Spurs. He'd have 30 points in his sleep against us and we had a good defensive team with David Robinson.

Career stats don't add up to HOF... No great team success..

Seventyniner
04-16-2021, 07:54 PM
Speaking of HoF inductions, Bill Land just said Michael Jordan will do the presentation for Kobe when he and Tim are inducted into the HoF next month. Another all-time great Spur HoF induction overshadowed by MJ.

Though I bet Duncan prefers it this way.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 07:58 PM
Speaking of HoF inductions, Bill Land just said Michael Jordan will do the presentation for Kobe when he and Tim are inducted into the HoF next month. Another all-time great Spur HoF induction overshadowed by MJ.

Tim will say very little.. He just does NOT give a fuck about the hoopla..

MultiTroll
04-16-2021, 08:23 PM
This. I remember when Kobme was doing his retirement tour (or whatever) and an interviewer asked Tim about Kobme. Tim was gracious, gave compliments said you knew you were always in for a 100% effort from Kobme etc. Interviewer kept on and on with questions and was trying to entice Tim to put Kobme on the media pedestal 15 layers higher then Kob's playing actually was. Tim was rightfully perturbed and doesn't need more shit like that were he asked to be emcee of a Hall Introduction.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 10:51 PM
This. I remember when Kobme was doing his retirement tour (or whatever) and an interviewer asked Tim about Kobme. Tim was gracious, gave compliments said you knew you were always in for a 100% effort from Kobme etc. Interviewer kept on and on with questions and was trying to entice Tim to put Kobme on the media pedestal 15 layers higher then Kob's playing actually was. Tim was rightfully perturbed and doesn't need more shit like that were he asked to be emcee of a Hall Introduction.
Tim just let his playing speak for himself. The media want to constantly put Kobe on a pedestal and overate his career because of his premature death that is up to them.. People that actually know basketball and saw Tim play understand his greatness. And I’m not saying that Kobe Bryant wasn’t an incredibly great basketball player. Of course he was. But obviously the circumstances around his death are going to cause people to overrate him. That’s just how it works.

daslicer
04-16-2021, 10:59 PM
He has 7 all-star game appearances and 5 all-nba selections. Most guys get in with those type of accolades. I think he will get in when he's eligible since there is nobody for him to compete with in 2025.

'22 Manu will be the headliner
'23 Dirk,Wade,Parker
'24 Vince Carter
'25 LMA

The other guys I haven't put on this list who are eligible currently is Tim Hardaway, Chris Webber, Ben Wallace. Those guys have been snubbed for a while. I do believe Ben Will get in either '22,'24,'25. I don't see Webber or Hardaway getting in due to politics which is Webber's booster scandal, and Hardaways homophobic rant that he made many years ago.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 11:09 PM
He has 7 all-star game appearances and 5 all-nba selections. Most guys get in with those type of accolades. I think he will get in when he's eligible since there is nobody for him to compete with in 2025.

'22 Manu will be the headliner
'23 Dirk,Wade,Parker
'24 Vince Carter
'25 LMA

The other guys I haven't put on this list who are eligible currently is Tim Hardaway, Chris Webber, Ben Wallace. Those guys have been snubbed for a while. I do believe Ben Will get in either '22,'24,'25. I don't see Webber or Hardaway getting in due to politics which is Webber's booster scandal, and Hardaways homophobic rant that he made many years ago.

He probably gets in. But there is no denying his career is a step down from some other players that did not win championships. Let’s just say he’s no Patrick Ewing or Charles Barkley.

daslicer
04-16-2021, 11:18 PM
He probably gets in. But there is no denying his career is a step down from some other players that did not win championships. Let’s just say he’s no Patrick Ewing or Charles Barkley.

Agreed. I look at a guy like Mitch Richmond who has about the same amount of achievements as LMA. Mitch as 6 all-star games which is one less than LMA, has 5 all-nba team selections. His career numbers are very similar to LMA. Outside of going to the Lakers his playoff success was about the same as LMA's. He has a ring but I don't view it as legit since he only played in 2 playoff games for the '02 Lakers team. There are other guys like Mitch who have done about the same as LMA or a little less that have gotten in.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2021, 11:51 PM
Agreed. I look at a guy like Mitch Richmond who has about the same amount of achievements as LMA. Mitch as 6 all-star games which is one less than LMA, has 5 all-nba team selections. His career numbers are very similar to LMA. Outside of going to the Lakers his playoff success was about the same as LMA's. He has a ring but I don't view it as legit since he only played in 2 playoff games for the '02 Lakers team. There are other guys like Mitch who have done about the same as LMA or a little less that have gotten in.

The criteria is simply too easy. For me you need to be a significant contributor to multiple NBA championships like Tony or Manu, or put up huge statistics in a great individual career that fell short of championships. I’m not a fan of the international play factoring in. I think it needs to be the NBA Hall of Fame since the majority of the career takes place in the NBA. But that’s just me. I mean it feels like they are counting college careers as well which makes no fucking sense to me whatsoever. Put them in the college Hall of Fame and leave it at that. Is that part of the reason why Grant Hill is in the Hall of Fame? His college career at Duke? He spent 10 seasons in the NBA injured.

daslicer
04-17-2021, 12:22 AM
The criteria is simply too easy. For me you need to be a significant contributor to multiple NBA championships like Tony or Manu, or put up huge statistics in a great individual career that fell short of championships. I’m not a fan of the international play factoring in. I think it needs to be the NBA Hall of Fame since the majority of the career takes place in the NBA. But that’s just me. I mean it feels like they are counting college careers as well which makes no fucking sense to me whatsoever. Put them in the college Hall of Fame and leave it at that. Is that part of the reason why Grant Hill is in the Hall of Fame? His college career at Duke? He spent 10 seasons in the NBA injured.

I agree with you on everything you said. Grant Hill is definitely in based on 50 percent of what he did at Duke and 50 percent of the NBA. That's how they squeezed him in but if you go by NBA career achievements he probably still gets in since he had 7 all-star games and 5 all-nba selections. Ralph Sampson is another guy that got a huge boost by his college career to get in there. If you take away his college achievements then he falls short of making the HOF. I do believe like you said there should be an NBA hall of fame so that not just anybody can get in there. I do believe in upcoming years we are going to see some random guys that are questionable get in simply because the NBA needs an NBA player to get in every year for marketing purposes.

lefty
04-17-2021, 12:31 AM
Better than Porker

dbreiden83080
04-17-2021, 12:33 AM
I agree with you on everything you said. Grant Hill is definitely in based on 50 percent of what he did at Duke and 50 percent of the NBA. That's how they squeezed him in but if you go by NBA career achievements he probably still gets in since he had 7 all-star games and 5 all-nba selections. Ralph Sampson is another guy that got a huge boost by his college career to get in there. If you take away his college achievements then he falls short of making the HOF. I do believe like you said there should be an NBA hall of fame so that not just anybody can get in there. I do believe in upcoming years we are going to see some random guys that are questionable get in simply because the NBA needs an NBA player to get in every year for marketing purposes.

When it comes to Grant Hill I don’t think he belongs in the Hall of Fame at all. Ask the people in Orlando what they think about him making the Hall of Fame? He literally played in about 35% of their games over the course of six seasons and collected nearly $100 million. That’s basically theft.

daslicer
04-17-2021, 01:30 AM
When it comes to Grant Hill I don’t think he belongs in the Hall of Fame at all. Ask the people in Orlando what they think about him making the Hall of Fame? He literally played in about 35% of their games over the course of six seasons and collected nearly $100 million. That’s basically theft.

I was on the fringe with Hill. It was tough for me considering he had a long stretch during the 90's where he was the best SF in the league. I would say from '95-'00 he was the best SF in the league.

exstatic
04-17-2021, 07:34 AM

Players get in from a number of categories, and one of them is NCAA. Bill Walton is in, and his NBA resume falls far short. There are even GIRLS enshrined at Springfield!! And referees!! And front office types!! And Euros who never played a minute in the NBA!!

It’s not the NBA HOF.

exstatic
04-17-2021, 07:35 AM

It’s not the NBA HOF.

exstatic
04-17-2021, 07:41 AM
Career stats don't add up to HOF... No great team success..

17K, 4 All NBA selections, plus his NCAA accomplishments.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2021, 07:47 AM
17K, 4 All NBA selections, plus his NCAA accomplishments.
They have a college Hall of Fame.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2021, 07:47 AM
It’s not the NBA HOF.

Kind of like everybody gets a trophy day.

exstatic
04-17-2021, 07:51 AM
They have a college Hall of Fame.

And an overall basketball one.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2021, 09:43 AM
And an overall basketball one.

Which dumbs down the criteria.. Does someone like Webber belong in the Hall? A legacy built on unmet expectations and failures in big moments starting in college.. In the next 1-2 years he is likely getting in..

Dverde
04-17-2021, 10:14 AM
I think going out like this with a health condition gets him in. I think he was going to get in assuming he had one more healthy season. If he retired last season he’s probably 50/50.

baseline bum
04-17-2021, 10:48 AM

Wow Sampson is in the hall? About the only career highlights of his I can remember are that crazy shot to win Game 5 of the 86 WCF and the time he started a fight with Jerry Sichting and then got bodyslammed by Bill Walton.

james evans
04-17-2021, 02:12 PM
Players get in from a number of categories, and one of them is NCAA. Bill Walton is in, and his NBA resume falls far short. There are even GIRLS enshrined at Springfield!! And referees!! And front office types!! And Euros who never played a minute in the NBA!!

It’s not the NBA HOF.
I know that , because international players are in, but why aren’t some of the great college players recognized that didn’t have great NBA careers? But why isn’t Walter Davis and Phil Ford in the HOF? I agree with what you’re saying? But the HOF tends to sway more toward the NBA for some reason. Ford and David are gold medalists that had great college careers but weren’t great nba players, though Davis put up a lot of points in his career.

emanueldavidginobili
04-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Basketball-reference has a formula they use, and he’s basically a coin flip, just a smudge over 50%.

What exactly is the formula because I just checked and they have Ginobilis chances at 20% lmao and guys like John Wall with better odds at 32% Shawn Marion at 75% :spin

DMC
04-17-2021, 02:49 PM
Who wants to visit the NBA HOF and see LMA? Might as well put Antonio McDyess there as well.

DMC
04-17-2021, 02:55 PM
The formula for HOF probability only considers NBA accomplishments and includes ASG appearances. Manu's resume is much greater than just NBA accolades and is easily makes him a HOF shoo-in.

MultiTroll
04-17-2021, 03:30 PM
The formula for HOF probability only considers NBA accomplishments and includes ASG appearances. Manu's resume is much greater than just NBA accolades and is easily makes him a HOF shoo-in.
As exstatic already mentioned.....

There is no "NBA Hall of Fame". There's a Basketball Hall of Fame that covers pro basketball, college basketball, the Olympics, women's basketball, international basketball ... everything.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2021, 04:21 PM
As exstatic already mentioned.....

There is no "NBA Hall of Fame". There's a Basketball Hall of Fame that covers pro basketball, college basketball, the Olympics, women's basketball, international basketball ... everything.

We have a College hall of fame.. And if you play 1100 pro games in the NBA, I am NOT that sold on your Olympic record overshadowing shortcomings in the pros..

Seventyniner
04-17-2021, 04:32 PM
What exactly is the formula because I just checked and they have Ginobilis chances at 20% lmao and guys like John Wall with better odds at 32% Shawn Marion at 75% :spin

I'm pretty sure bkref's formula only takes NBA stats into account. Manu's international career alone would have made him a first-ballot lock imo.

illusioNtEk
04-17-2021, 09:21 PM
no

exstatic
04-17-2021, 10:59 PM

Their formula is NBA based. Manu will be an international selection.