timvp
04-18-2021, 12:55 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-phoenix-suns-game-55/

That was fun :wow

(:lol Suns)
(:lol championship aspirations)

EricB
04-18-2021, 01:08 AM
I’d feel a lot better with Vassell’s lack of minutes of Pop would come out and say “he hit the wall, he needed the break blah blah”

no, just “my decision” just irresponsible tripe

siraulo23
04-18-2021, 01:11 AM
awesome win :tu

Darius Bieber
04-18-2021, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the fast grades and articles even with late night games

Mr. Body
04-18-2021, 01:12 AM
The ball just sticks with DeRozan and Gay. When Mills isn't hitting, he can't do much but cycle the ball around the perimeter. I don't know if their absence (other than Gay) helped things look closer to the early part of the season, but it's clear lately DDR and Mills are hurting as much as helping.

Drew Eubanks I've thought was an NBA player for a while. His athleticism is fantastic for his size and he's physical as fuck. The kind of guy people hate playing against. I don't think he's a starter, necessarily, but he's gaining skill and confidence and is making brutal, eye-popping plays.

spurraider21
04-18-2021, 02:02 AM
Pop always seems to make such great decisions with the rotation when... they're made for him.

John B
04-18-2021, 02:29 AM
No Mills to give up the lead. It’s that simple. Instead it’s Vassell hitting 3’s and protecting the lead. Great win.

gospursgojas
04-18-2021, 02:36 AM
Did you start this article with “woah” in honor of the late Black Rob? RIP. Nice touch.

Fireball
04-18-2021, 02:50 AM
always great to beat the Suns ... if i knew that before i had watched the game with the Suns announcers ...

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-18-2021, 02:54 AM
This game solidifies for me that Patty Chucker Mills shouldn’t be given the minutes he’s given.

The defense...and offense...were so much better without him or DDR out there tonight.

Great energy. Great defense. Sharing the ball. That’s Spurs basketball. We don’t need Patty to show the young ones anything about “the Spurs’ way.” G’day mate, and get out!

Slippy
04-18-2021, 05:11 AM
This game solidifies for me that Patty Chucker Mills shouldn’t be given the minutes he’s given.

The defense...and offense...were so much better without him or DDR out there tonight.

Great energy. Great defense. Sharing the ball. That’s Spurs basketball. We don’t need Patty to show the young ones anything about “the Spurs’ way.” G’day mate, and get out!

Agree with you but can we all try to remember.. its the old man that keeps overplaying him. I think Patty when playing limited mins where instant offense is needed or high energy defense against midget guards - would be the ideal tonic for the team.

LeBowen
04-18-2021, 05:20 AM
If Patty plays ahead of Devin ever again, intervention on Pop is needed.

Best win of the season, but I'm still mad because of the rotations we'll undoubtedly be forced to watch come the next game.

DDR, Rudy and Patty leaving is the best possible thing that can happen to this team.

exstatic
04-18-2021, 07:33 AM
Patty’s absence, and it’s benefits were obvious, but this is the main reason I want DeRozan gone. If you squinted a bit, you could see the beautiful game last night. The ball wasn’t sticking, and the opponent was flummoxed, not knowing exactly what to do, unable to pack the paint.

mo7888
04-18-2021, 07:56 AM
Patty’s absence, and it’s benefits were obvious, but this is the main reason I want DeRozan gone. If you squinted a bit, you could see the beautiful game last night. The ball wasn’t sticking, and the opponent was flummoxed, not knowing exactly what to do, unable to pack the paint.

Spot on....a definite step in the right direction..

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 08:30 AM
I don't think this was an expected win, in a sense that the Spurs felt comfortable resting their vets for this one with the purpose of developing the young guys. Getting a win gives them confidence for next season, especially against a top playoff team. In certain cases like this one the player development outweighs the higher pick. It will definitely be back to the regular line-up to continue the tank. As Vassell said, "there are just other guys ahead of him right now". Once a couple of the vets' contracts are up, they won't be ahead of Vassell anymore. We haven't seen this team's true ceiling, and we'll probably see it next season, plus key pieces to fill the holes in the line-up.

There is a reason Samanic starts every time a starter is out over Gay. I think they're preparing him for that role in the future. Otherwise, why doesn't Gay just start instead? It was a forgettable performance, and I liken it to Lonnie's second year where he looked lost all the time.

acoelho1
04-18-2021, 08:48 AM
This team is so much more fun to watch when DDR is not iso ballin and Mills chucking away. It’s only one game but we have seen spurts of this offense when those guys are not on the floor. It forces the guys to take the lead and not always defer to the vets, which produces better results. The defense is clearly better and I think we can be elite on that end given our length and skill on that side of the ball.

Fireball
04-18-2021, 08:58 AM
I don't think this was an expected win, in a sense that the Spurs felt comfortable resting their vets for this one with the purpose of developing the young guys. Getting a win gives them confidence for next season, especially against a top playoff team. In certain cases like this one the player development outweighs the higher pick. It will definitely be back to the regular line-up to continue the tank. As Vassell said, "there are just other guys ahead of him right now". Once a couple of the vets' contracts are up, they won't be ahead of Vassell anymore. We haven't seen this team's true ceiling, and we'll probably see it next season, plus key pieces to fill the holes in the line-up.

There is a reason Samanic starts every time a starter is out over Gay. I think they're preparing him for that role in the future. Otherwise, why doesn't Gay just start instead? It was a forgettable performance, and I liken it to Lonnie's second year where he looked lost all the time.

Pop always buts the DNP guys in the SL if somebody else of the SL rests ... so the usual bench stays together ... of course he could have started Dieng then as well :rollin

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 09:01 AM
Pop always buts the DNP guys in the SL if somebody else of the SL rests ... so the usual bench stays together ... of course he could have started Dieng then as well :rollin

Tre didn't jump Mills for the starter role, when one of Murray or White were out.

Vassell hasn't either, except that one game where we were severely undermanned.

GAustex
04-18-2021, 09:09 AM
Let DDR walk
Move Keldon to 3 and make him shoot threes and dribble pull-ups til he drops and then do more
Find a freakin 4 (or 2 of them) who can shoot and defend and rebound at least decently
DJM needs to work on his 3 point shot a lot.
White needs to improve.
Or move one of them to the bench and start Lonnie.
Optimize the bench the best you can- need a 3 backup.
Play defense hard. Everyone
Hope the young ones catch lightening in a bottle.
Not a great chance but better than the same ole DDR stank.

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 09:10 AM
https://youtu.be/iFC-fYxs1os

PrimeMinister
04-18-2021, 09:30 AM
Devin Vassell is to Demar derozan as Jakob Poeltl was to Lamarcus Aldridge

Spurs team minus Demar+2021 first+a nice role player signing is a team that can compete to win games every night.

sananspursfan21
04-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Excellent win. Our guys were shooting out of their minds last night. Obviously, we can’t expect that every night, but if they at least play with that type of energy and commitment to defense most nights, they’re scary. If this is a direct result of not having Patty or Demar, leave em in the dust RC!....er uh, Brian

John B
04-18-2021, 09:34 AM
That was like the Bubble games when the youngsters’ backs were on the line. They responded with physicality, guys trusting each other. Pop mentioned that at the start of the season, which was the change that we were all hoping to see. But instead we were subjected to watching veterans playing Iso, chucking 3’s, maybe to showcase them to other teams and give them opportunities to earn their next contracts? But watching how the young played great, there’s hope that they will play better next season. Hopefully our dismal record will nab another quality talent, a big man who can defend and shoot.

What to do with Poeltl in next season? His lack of outside shooting is also affecting the smooth flow of offense. Do they try to trade him?

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 09:44 AM
That was like the Bubble games when the youngsters’ backs were on the line. They responded with physicality, guys trusting each other. Pop mentioned that at the start of the season, which was the change that we were all hoping to see. But instead we were subjected to watching veterans playing Iso, chucking 3’s, maybe to showcase them to other teams and give them opportunities to earn their next contracts? But watching how the young played great, there’s hope that they will play better next season. Hopefully our dismal record will nab another quality talent, a big man who can defend and shoot.

What to do with Poeltl in next season? His lack of outside shooting is also affecting the smooth flow of offense. Do they try to trade him?

Poeltl had a 17-8-3 blocks statline the night before last night, close to your ideal mythical 20-10 player, and it's becoming more frequent for him to have those kinds of stats. I don't know how you could look at the Suns game and think to yourself that Poeltl's absence was the reason for the win. The real culprits here are DeMar, Mills, and Gay. You upgrade from those three and you'll see an improved team

BillMc
04-18-2021, 09:48 AM
Man, sad I missed this game. Glad Devin showed us what can be the future. Even though Luka missed shots, glad he stayed agressive and played good defense.

John B
04-18-2021, 09:55 AM
Poeltl had a 17-8-3 blocks statline the night before last night, close to your ideal mythical 20-10 player, and it's becoming more frequent for him to have those kinds of stats. I don't know how you could look at the Suns game and think to yourself that Poeltl's absence was the reason for the win. The real culprits here are DeMar, Mills, and Gay. You upgrade from those three and you'll see an improved team

I think if I have to give up a role player to package with Demar on a sign and trade, it would be Poeltl, especially if they are targetting a center. Hopefully to sign Dieng back and Drew playing great with minutes, Poeltl would be the odd man.

mo7888
04-18-2021, 10:00 AM
I think if I have to give up a role player to package with Demar on a sign and trade, it would be Poeltl, especially if they are targetting a center. Hopefully to sign Dieng back and Drew playing great with minutes, Poeltl would be the odd man.

I don't think anyone is untouchable but Poeltl on a cheap contract has alot of value... it would have to be something pretty special coming back to S&T + Poeltl.

ducks
04-18-2021, 10:16 AM
I’d feel a lot better with Vassell’s lack of minutes of Pop would come out and say “he hit the wall, he needed the break blah blah”

no, just “my decision” just irresponsible tripe
Nothing unusually for a liberal

exstatic
04-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Excellent win. Our guys were shooting out of their minds last night. Obviously, we can’t expect that every night, but if they at least play with that type of energy and commitment to defense most nights, they’re scary. If this is a direct result of not having Patty or Demar, leave em in the dust RC!....er uh, Brian

Shooting is much easier when the ball is moving. Guys were able to penetrate, because the defense wasn’t packing the lane for DeRozan.

TD 21
04-18-2021, 10:46 AM
People are reading way too much into a small sample size and though an entertaining and impressive performance, in retrospect a law of averages game.

Since this was a one off, many were in for increased minutes/usage and because they're mostly new to that, there's an excitement that comes with it that wouldn't be sustainable if it were a constant.

I want DeRozan gone as much as anyone, but if he's not replaced with a creator of some degree, barring a quantum leap from one of the youth, they'll be a candidate for worst offense in the league next season.

PrimeMinister
04-18-2021, 11:04 AM
People are reading way too much into a small sample size and though an entertaining and impressive performance, in retrospect a law of averages game.

Since this was a one off, many were in for increased minutes/usage and because they're mostly new to that, there's an excitement that comes with it that wouldn't be sustainable if it were a constant.

I want DeRozan gone as much as anyone, but if he's not replaced with a creator of some degree, barring a quantum leap from one of the youth, they'll be a candidate for worst offense in the league next season.

It’s a pace and space league

The young group of players has shown they can defend, create offense in transition off turnovers, have a capable creator in Dejounte in the half court- have a secondary creator in Derrick white averaging something like 18 points on efficient splits in his last 15 games. It’s not just the sample of this one game- as much as a game like last night illustrates in plain sight what you can see when Demar sits in a normal game.

Demar doesn’t scramble defensively to close out on shooters. He doesn’t chase loose balls. The 3 point disparity when he plays is routinely in the opponents favor- as a result of both his defensive and offensive short comings. You outshoot your opponent, you win the game something like 70% of the time this year. He’s a vestige of a bygone era. 2022 will lay this bare for the Demar defenders.

rankingtear
04-18-2021, 11:10 AM
That starting units defense with Samanic was pretty good. Hoping Samanic works on his three ball for him to be a viable starter. Walker on that Patty bench role is working so far defensive limitations is not that glaring on bench units, playmaking improvement is the key for him.

SpursDynasty85
04-18-2021, 11:22 AM
People overreacting to what was a trap game for the Suns. Mills, Gay, and Derozan have all had great games this season and given us wins as well. I agree that it would be better to see the young guys play more but people act like the veterans are not on and behind the scenes legit cheering and helping these young guys learn to play? Why is this win not a cumulative effort of the whole team instead of a premature and critical take on the veterans? Why is this not a win for the winning culture that breed such a great collective game by our young guys?

Suns had no game plans because they were busy planning for Mills, Derozan, and Jakob.

and yes, Eubanks has arrived! Anyone want to see Eubanks Dieng front court with Lonnie, Vassell, and White? Man o man that line up would be scary defensively with energy and good floor spacing.

PrimeMinister
04-18-2021, 11:27 AM
People still pretending there’s not a careers worth of evidence showing Demar derozan gets outscored while he’s on the floor

people still ignoring the importance of defense and especially 3 point defense in 2021’s nba

people acting like there’s anything to game plan for defensively with Demar derozan aside from cheating into driving lanes, packing the paint, and ignoring DD off the ball

SpursDynasty85
04-18-2021, 11:28 AM

The young group of players has shown they can defend, create offense in transition off turnovers, have a capable creator in Dejounte in the half court- have a secondary creator in Derrick white averaging something like 18 points on efficient splits in his last 15 games. It’s not just the sample of this one game- as much as a game like last night illustrates in plain sight what you can see when Demar sits in a normal game.

Demar doesn’t scramble defensively to close out on shooters. He doesn’t chase loose balls. The 3 point disparity when he plays is routinely in the opponents favor- as a result of both his defensive and offensive short comings. You outshoot your opponent, you win the game something like 70% of the time this year. He’s a vestige of a bygone era. 2022 will lay this bare for the Demar defenders.

and there’s also been games where Derozan had to come in and save the young guys as well. Not saying I prefer to sign him, I don’t. But we are tied into the veterans this year to create the right culture for now. Young guys will have their shot and last night was a huge win for everyone especially for the confidence of the younger ones moving forward.

SpursDynasty85
04-18-2021, 11:30 AM
That starting units defense with Samanic was pretty good. Hoping Samanic works on his three ball for him to be a viable starter. Walker on that Patty bench role is working so far defensive limitations is not that glaring on bench units, playmaking improvement is the key for him.

Samanic’s skills were not to blame last night it was chemistry. You could tell he didn’t have any and was lost out there. He definitely had the confidence to shoot which is a good start though. His Bball iq is all that is needed for him to stay in the lineup now and then grow upon that.

PrimeMinister
04-18-2021, 11:30 AM
and there’s also been games where Derozan had to come in and save the young guys as well. Not saying I prefer to sign him, I don’t. But we are tied into the veterans this year to create the right culture for now. Young guys will have their shot and last night was a huge win for everyone especially for the confidence of the younger ones moving forward.

Derozan will disappear for the entire first half of a game, stand around on defense and in the corner on offense, and score 15 points in crunch time off 15 second isos and pump fake free throws to squeak out a narrow win or defeat and spurs fans rush to say he saved the day

Young guys aren’t perfect, absolutely. They will lose games and make mistakes. But the totality of the young core fits the meta of the current nba far better than any team led by Demar derozan. It’s just how it is.

SpursDynasty85
04-18-2021, 11:38 AM
Derozan will disappear for the entire first half of a game, stand around on defense and in the corner on offense, and score 15 points in crunch time off 15 second isos and pump fake free throws to squeak out a narrow win or defeat and spurs fans rush to say he saved the day

Young guys aren’t perfect, absolutely. They will lose games and make mistakes. But the totality of the young core fits the meta of the current nba far better than any team led by Demar derozan. It’s just how it is.

yes he is an imperfect player but he does have the confidence and ball handling that our young guys struggle with. He is a good mentor for them because his strengths are something the young guys need. If Gay was younger and Samanic were 1 or 2 years more experienced this team would easily be in the playoffs and be really scary on a year or two. This is pretty much what the Spurs planned, compete on the fringe while rebuilding. Vets are nearing retirement or moving to support roles while young ones are still learning. Gotta make do with what we have.

TD 21
04-18-2021, 11:54 AM

I realize that, but the youth aren't exactly teeming with 3-point shooting themselves and none are off movement or pull up threats.

They have no primary scorer/creator in the half court. They would get exposed fast if the only significant move is to replace DeRozan with Markkanen.

I've been beating the drum on how limited and overrated DeRozan is from the moment there were rumors they were on the verge of acquiring him in that ill fated "trade". Again, I'm not saying he should be retained, I'm saying his role needs to be replaced.

and yes, Eubanks has arrived! Anyone want to see Eubanks Dieng front court with Lonnie, Vassell, and White? Man o man that line up would be scary defensively with energy and good floor spacing.

Neither Eubanks nor Dieng can play the four in today's game. Not enough mobility or general ball skills (just being able to make a 3 is no longer enough).

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 12:31 PM
https://youtu.be/NZfixcsht6M

Interesting comments here by Eubanks.

-says he was "fucking gassed" and admires Poeltl for playing 30 minutes a night
-says Vassell is such a good guy that you can't help but root for him

Rudy also says he's high on Vassell

Next year is going to be nice with Vassell having more shot opportunities and being our go to off-ball shooter. Already seeing some Lonnie + Vassell chemistry. Lonnie gave him some good looks: one running dunk, and another on an open 3.

R. DeMurre
04-18-2021, 12:32 PM
Nothing unusually for a liberal

I'm constantly entertained by the fact that almost every post of yours obsessing about liberals contains a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error. That, and it almost always has nothing to do with liberalism.

rankingtear
04-18-2021, 12:44 PM
Samanic’s skills were not to blame last night it was chemistry. You could tell he didn’t have any and was lost out there. He definitely had the confidence to shoot which is a good start though. His Bball iq is all that is needed for him to stay in the lineup now and then grow upon that.

If he is shooting below 30% from three you can't start him. Someone has to be good off-ball in that starting lineup. Three point shooting is overpowered.

mo7888
04-18-2021, 12:44 PM

Next year is going to be nice with Vassell having more shot opportunities and being our go to off-ball shooter. Already seeing some Lonnie + Vassell chemistry. Lonnie gave him some good looks: one running dunk, and another on an open 3.

I still think we need to either move one of White or Murray or get one of them comfortable coming off the bench (White).

mo7888
04-18-2021, 12:48 PM
If he is shooting below 30% from three you can't start him. Someone has to be good off-ball in that starting lineup. Three point shooting is overpowered.

Yes, he's going to have to be in the upper 30% range but, his small sample size combined with his inconsistent minutes don't really mean much right now.... if Pop actually plays him consistently the remaining games and he's still shooting this percentage from 3 then you have a strong point.... this is a big reason why he should play...so we can find out if he can be the stretch 4 we need..

exstatic
04-18-2021, 01:15 PM

Nope. If they won by 4, that’s unsustainable, but not 26. 26 isn’t a fluke. There’s a lot of leeway there to not shoot as well, and still win. We didn’t win this game because we shot well, we won this game because we hel PHO to 85 fucking points. The blowout was just frosting on top.

rankingtear
04-18-2021, 01:24 PM
Nope. If they won by 4, that’s unsustainable, but not 26. 26 is t a fluke. There’s a lot of leeway there to not shoot as well, and still win.

We have 103 offensive rating without DDR, so he has a point that's good for 30th in the league. Our offense would be bottom of the league without him, defense would be better though.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-18-2021, 01:43 PM
We have 103 offensive rating without DDR, so he has a point that's good for 30th in the league. Our offense would be bottom of the league without him, defense would be better though.

Teammates tend to fall asleep when two guys are hogging all of the possessions. It’s pretty evident from the energy difference I saw out there last night. Our guys were having fun. Heck even Pop was fired up, calling time outs, screaming at guys. He’s looked half dead in a lot of games this year.

Getting rid of DDR and Mills might just add years to his life!

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 02:18 PM
Teammates tend to fall asleep when two guys are hogging all of the possessions. It’s pretty evident from the energy difference I saw out there last night. Our guys were having fun. Heck even Pop was fired up, calling time outs, screaming at guys. He’s looked half dead in a lot of games this year.

Just see DJ's body language during the last four minutes of the Blazer game watching DeMar selfishly take every possession for himself and his post-game interview to see how happy he is with how the team plays with DeMar.

BillMc
04-18-2021, 03:06 PM

To be fair to DeMar he get's lots of assists. I do agree that his "take over" at the end of games (as well as his body language and complaints about refeering) probably affect the younger players. With the older player out, the young ones know it is on them. And they don't have an example from their "star" of blaming refs for no calls. If DDR is really gone (as is likely) next year we'll finally know what the young ones are made of - good or bad. DDR is like training wheels. You can only ride with them so long.

Mr. Body
04-18-2021, 03:16 PM

Drew with an s-bomb and an f-bomb in there.

TD 21
04-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Nope. If they won by 4, that’s unsustainable, but not 26. 26 isn’t a fluke. There’s a lot of leeway there to not shoot as well, and still win. We didn’t win this game because we shot well, we won this game because we hel PHO to 85 fucking points. The blowout was just frosting on top.

:lmao How could a shorthanded, mediocre team playing it's 5th game in 7 nights, destroying one of the league's best, be anything but an outlier?

Seeing as how the Cavaliers rank 30th with 103.8 ppg, 85 is obviously unsustainable too.

Improving the defense and further diversifying the offense won't offset a lack of firepower.

Apologists/homers hate those pesky little things called facts. It doesn't jive with the "culture"/"system" mystique/schtick they've been brainwashed into believing.

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 03:36 PM
https://youtu.be/eJNSPP_mpm8

I wonder if they would do "back-up center by committee" next year if Dieng decides to re-sign. If Eubanks develops further as a player, he's not a bad piece. Combine the salary of all three and that position must be the cheapest in the league yet very serviceable. I hope the remaining salary allocation can go to very talented players at the other positions.

TD 21
04-18-2021, 03:44 PM

I wonder if they would do "back-up center by committee" next year if Dieng decides to re-sign. If Eubanks develops further as a player, he's not a bad piece. Combine the salary of all three and that position must be the cheapest in the league yet very serviceable. I hope the remaining salary allocation can go to very talented players at the other positions.

That's probably their plan, but getting Dieng to buy-in might not be so easy. Then again, if they're willing to pay him top dollar (2/$10M?), that might sway him.

I'd still play Dieng ahead of Eubanks though (even post DeRozan). They need all the shooting/spacing they can get.

Chinook
04-18-2021, 03:53 PM
White, Murray and Johnson combined to shoot over 50 percent from three. That's basically the make-or-break stat for the Spurs. Those guys normally shoot in the low-to-mid 30s, and that's not good enough. It's a huge part of why the offense looks terrible without DeRozan a lot of the time. He can't shoot either, but he's actually significantly better at scoring than the other guards on the team. "The ball not sticking" isn't a good metric in or of itself. That has to lead to the team getting better possessions. For all the shit DeRozan gets from being micro-analyzed by the folks here, having him take a shot is one of the better ways for a possession to end this year. Walker's the only rotation player who turns his touches into point at a higher rate, and Mills is the only other person who's close to them.

The Spurs have drubbed teams and been drubbed by teams just like last night in situations that ended up meaning nothing for the team's long-term trajectory. Right now, the Spurs' lack of talent seems pretty apparent. After a couple of good (but not great) months, the Spurs defense is actually worse than it was at the beginning on the season relative to rest of the league. Their offense is only held together by an extremely low turnover rate and a decent rate at getting to the line. Even the worst teams or injured teams can hang with SA and even come back on them. With DeRozan, they'd be a clear lottery team. While that's what a lot of fans want, that's a separate argument than saying the team is better without DeRozan. They're trending to be closer to the team they were last year rather than that bubble mirage.

That all said, I'm happy with the win. I just think it says way more about the Suns, who don't really seem to have the realized talent to be anywhere near their record. If they play anyone but Memphis in the first round, I'd expect them to get flipped.

TD 21
04-18-2021, 04:05 PM
White, Murray and Johnson combined to shoot over 50 percent from three. That's basically the make-or-break stat for the Spurs. Those guys normally shoot in the low-to-mid 30s, and that's not good enough. It's a huge part of why the offense looks terrible without DeRozan a lot of the time. He can't shoot either, but he's actually significantly better at scoring than the other guards on the team. "The ball not sticking" isn't a good metric in or of itself. That has to lead to the team getting better possessions. For all the shit DeRozan gets from being micro-analyzed by the folks here, having him take a shot is one of the better ways for a possession to end this year. Walker's the only rotation player who turns his touches into point at a higher rate, and Mills is the only other person who's close to them.

The Spurs have drubbed teams and been drubbed by teams just like last night in situations that ended up meaning nothing for the team's long-term trajectory. Right now, the Spurs' lack of talent seems pretty apparent. After a couple of good (but not great) months, the Spurs defense is actually worse than it was at the beginning on the season relative to rest of the league. Their offense is only held together by an extremely low turnover rate and a decent rate at getting to the line. Even the worst teams or injured teams can hang with SA and even come back on them. With DeRozan, they'd be a clear lottery team. While that's what a lot of fans want, that's a separate argument than saying the team is better without DeRozan. They're trending to be closer to the team they were last year rather than that bubble mirage.

That all said, I'm happy with the win. I just think it says way more about the Suns, who don't really seem to have the realized talent to be anywhere near their record. If they play anyone but Memphis in the first round, I'd expect them to get flipped.

As I've said ad nauseam. But the apologists/homers like reading into outlier games that suit their fantasy while excusing all the rest that don't.

They also like to conflate saying the youth isn't and more than likely won't be nearly good enough collectively with saying they suck individually (or that outperforming their draft slot has any bearing on that).

Dejounte
04-18-2021, 04:18 PM
Just my opinion: there's simply not enough sample data to say one way or the other in regards to the team being worse without DeMar. The team is 4-1 without him and with Derrick healthy. While that's an oversimplification of things, it also shows they're not a complete wreck without him. I'm not saying the team is complete without DeMar; in fact, I've said for a while the team needs a playmaker + shot creator after he's gone moreso than the need for a reliable stretch four.

SAGirl
04-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Sounds like an interesting game. Thanks for the reviews. :ihit:flag:

duncan2150
04-18-2021, 04:32 PM

This

Just thinking the spurs win because of derozan is insane. If he was not a passer or our best passer okay but that's not the case.

Playing more Vassell instead of Patty is a more reliable explanation. Making our shots was another, Phoenix playing bad also...

I will never understand the hate on Derozan here.

Chomag
04-18-2021, 04:44 PM
I keep saying it but this team would have at least 7 or 8 more wins right now without Rudy ,and Mills and even to a less extent DDR .

tbdog
04-18-2021, 05:03 PM
This

Just thinking the spurs win because of derozan is insane. If he was not a passer or our best passer okay but that's not the case.

Playing more Vassell instead of Patty is a more reliable explanation. Making our shots was another, Phoenix playing bad also...

I will never understand the hate on Derozan here.

Exactly. Spurs are a shooting 4 away from being a good team. And they desperately need a shooting 2 at the expense of White. Spurs would have more pieces to fill if DDR leaves.

ace3g
04-18-2021, 05:17 PM
https://youtu.be/iFC-fYxs1os

It's mandatory if you post a D2B video, you have to post the video description:

I am a blank slate when it comes to the topic of Devin Vassell. I know he's a rookie, and I know Spurs fans like him, but I don't have any opinions of my own about how good he is or his play style. The Spurs are kinda low on my list of teams to watch (mainly because of how they don't have Marco Belinelli anymore), so I haven't seen much of him. This is my first real taste, but to be honest, my video-making process is so streamlined and perfect that I don't end up seeing much actual gameplay while executing it. I could watch this video and the only thing I would recognize would be his dunk.

My blank-slate-ness means that I am currently very impressionable to comments left below this video. If some Spurs fan (or even someone pretending to be a Spurs fan), makes some overwhelmingly positive remarks about Vassell, that's going to color my opinion of him basically for all time, and it would take years of negative comments to reverse that. It works in the other direction too. All it takes is a single San Antonio resident to say "Vassell has been disappointing me this year" for me to think he's a bust for the rest of eternity. Preferably I would watch some film and make some opinions for myself, but this is 2021, and in 2021, people don't form opinions, they have pre-formed opinions given to them by social media.

So be careful, people. I still read all the comments that you guys make (even I don't respond to them), so it might be better for you all to just to talk about stuff that isn't Vassell-related, lest you corrupt my brain. Kittens are a possible topic. Puppies? Sure. Other cute animals of a small size? Yes please. You could also talk about Gregg Popovich all you want, because my opinion on him is fully-formed: that he's a crotchety fraud of a coach who isn't half as funny as he thinks he is and thinks he can do whatever he wants because he lucked into a bunch of HOFers that would've won multiple titles with any random meatball as the coach.

Gagnrath
04-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Agree with you but can we all try to remember.. its the old man that keeps overplaying him. I think Patty when playing limited mins where instant offense is needed or high energy defense against midget guards - would be the ideal tonic for the team.

Patty is fine for about 15 minutes per game, and/or when other teams are playing a close in zone. What's not working is when he is on the floor more than 20 minutes and/or with another questionable defender. Patty isn't a good defender, he is not horrible when he can afford to burn mad energy on defense, otherwise he's just to small against many match-ups. Against second units, against ad-hoc line-ups he's not horrid. When he can be a bit hidden it's fine the offense and the try hard make up for the size and so-so instincts.The problem is that you can't really put a pair of subpar defenders out at the same time and hide both. DeRozen being an average defender at best makes him hard to pair with Mills.

PhantomDashCam
04-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Demar isn’t playing the same way as he did to start the season on Offense. Like many have said, you put DDR off ball now and you totally negate his Offensive impact.

Have a look at his 3 PT A P/G by month...

December
4 Games - 2.3 Making 1 a game - 44.4%

Jan.
14 games - 1.9 Making .6 a game - 34.6%

Feb.
8 games - 1.8 Making .4 a game - 21.4%

March
12 games - .9 Making .2 a game - 18.2%

April
9 games (to date) - .4 Making 0 a game - 0%

He’s taken a combined 15 3s through March - April, Making 2 total.

There’s more to the numbers than 3s obviously but that should give you pause...

Joel Embiid has 7 games for the month of April since return from injury, he’s shooting 3.7 Per game - Making .9 - 23.1%.

Fireball
04-19-2021, 02:19 AM
Tre didn't jump Mills for the starter role, when one of Murray or White were out.

Vassell hasn't either, except that one game where we were severely undermanned. Whatever ... I doubt putting Samanic in the SL now is meant to prepare him for that future spot ...

exstatic
04-19-2021, 07:45 AM
ST: Play the young guys!!!

Also ST: you must be crazy if you don’t want to keep a guy who’s game is antiquated, who pounds the air out of the ball, and who’s consuming 34 minutes a night, and is likely leading us to our second straight lottery as the franchise featured player.

The Truth #6
04-19-2021, 09:29 AM
Great game. I’m curious which coach motivated them to play well because somethings definitely seemed different. Everyone was pumped, well, except Luka. Lol.

I love Yak but he still needs to be more assertive on offense. Resigning Dieng and trading Yak to move up has to be a question Wright needs to consider and have an answer for. Not saying he has to trade Yak, but someone from this team needs to be traded to bring cohesion to the roster.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-19-2021, 09:45 AM
ST: Play the young guys!!!

Also ST: you must be crazy if you don’t want to keep a guy who’s game is antiquated, who pounds the air out of the ball, and who’s consuming 34 minutes a night, and is likely leading us to our second straight lottery as the franchise featured player.

:pop: :smokin

The Truth #6
04-19-2021, 10:53 AM

Eubanks has a decent ceiling to move towards. His issue is experience and confidence. Yak’s is confidence. But with Eubanks, he has post moves and a jump shot he is developing. Yak doesn’t even try to do that much in a game typically, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope Detroit doesn’t sign Eubanks for various reasons. He’s a little nasty and it’s awesome.

Dejounte
04-19-2021, 11:09 AM
Great game. I’m curious which coach motivated them to play well because somethings definitely seemed different. Everyone was pumped, well, except Luka. Lol.

I love Yak but he still needs to be more assertive on offense. Resigning Dieng and trading Yak to move up has to be a question Wright needs to consider and have an answer for. Not saying he has to trade Yak, but someone from this team needs to be traded to bring cohesion to the roster.

Eubanks has a decent ceiling to move towards. His issue is experience and confidence. Yak’s is confidence. But with Eubanks, he has post moves and a jump shot he is developing. Yak doesn’t even try to do that much in a game typically, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope Detroit doesn’t sign Eubanks for various reasons. He’s a little nasty and it’s awesome.

I don't think this should be a matter of Yak vs Eubanks. There's room for all three centers. The team suffers more overall when there's one competent big out than when we lose a guard or wing out due to injury. We saw plenty of this when Aldridge was out and Eubanks was nowhere near as competent as he is now.

Dex
04-19-2021, 11:11 AM

I think he is pretty much pushing his ceiling right now, but he could always prove me wrong. This is the first time in his career he is getting a legit shot at an NBA rotation.

Still think he's best served as a third-string big filling that Aron Baynes role when needed.

tmtcsc
04-19-2021, 02:04 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-phoenix-suns-game-55/

That was fun :wow

(:lol Suns)
(:lol championship aspirations)

You were much too kind to Samanich. He was a "nothing" out there after getting the start. He played more than a quarter and produced one blocked shot and one assist. No points, no rebounds. On one play, he stepped out of bounds when he got out-muscled by Booker. Booker! He needs to get stronger & tougher in the summer. Maybe then he will deserve time on the floor. Right now, I'll take an experienced vet over him any day.