PDA

View Full Version : Start Vassell

RC_Drunkford
04-21-2021, 09:41 PM
Flopovich doesn't recognize it, but this starting line up doesn't work. They need at least another 3-point shooter out there (besides White). Bench Keldon and play Vassell or Walker (I'd prefer Vassell).

jeebus
04-21-2021, 09:48 PM
Is there a "playvassell" or "startvassell" account yet?

objective
04-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Vassel can't play for Pop yet, he hasn't completely lost confidence and shown maximum hesitancy. That's the first step to getting over oneself.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-21-2021, 09:52 PM
In a perfect world you bench Derozan, but he’d melt down if that happened and pop is to much of a pussy to do that

SAGirl
04-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Objective being on point. Doesn’t even need a blue font.

Darius Bieber
04-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Is there a "playvassell" or "startvassell" account yet?

Need that DeJuan Blair account guy to show back up

timtonymanu
04-21-2021, 09:55 PM
That require Pop to think outside the box for once. A concept lost on the old man

NASpurs
04-21-2021, 09:56 PM
Why? So we can start winning? Keep the clogged toilet starting lineup offense, swiss cheese defense and overplaying Rudy and Patty

BillMc
04-21-2021, 10:03 PM
I'm all for it. :bobo

timtonymanu
04-21-2021, 10:03 PM
Why? So we can start winning? Keep the clogged toilet starting lineup offense, swiss cheese defense and overplaying Rudy and Patty

boutons_deux
04-21-2021, 10:05 PM
i dropped att/bally. very unpleasant to watch spurs, and how fucked up are the to be so bad at ATT? psychos

DAF86
04-21-2021, 10:12 PM
This would have happened had DeRozan been moved. We would have such a more balanced lineup right now.

NASpurs
04-21-2021, 10:16 PM
This would have happened had DeRozan been moved. We would have such a more balanced lineup right now.

Should had happened when White was out and Lonnie was stinking it up in the starting lineup but it wouldn’t be fair to others because Vassell is a rookie.

Blackhaus
04-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Wait, where is the play Vassell thread first!?!.

Blackhaus
04-21-2021, 10:35 PM
Gotta sit, then crawl and maybe walk when you’re getting coach by Pop

slick'81
04-21-2021, 10:36 PM
As long as this team is sniffing the playoffs the shit trio remains

BackHome
04-21-2021, 10:57 PM
It’s all CIA Pop and his Covert tanking we all Good.

FutureMan
04-21-2021, 10:57 PM
Bench White & start Vassell.... next year. Tank this year.

KingKev
04-21-2021, 11:00 PM
Starting Vassell is definitely the solution to all our problems.

GAustex
04-21-2021, 11:02 PM
Bench Murray & start Vassell.... next year. Tank this year.

R. DeMurre
04-22-2021, 01:21 AM
Vassell has to feel at least a little confounded by the whole situation. He had the best game of his NBA career against Indy while three vets rested, and played 25 minutes-- 8 more than his season average of just under 17 mpg-- and then in the next game got zero minutes through three quarters. In the fourth quarter, up 16 with 10 minutes to go, he still doesn't get on the floor. Up 17 with 9 minutes to go...nope, still no Vassell. Up 17 with 8 minutes to go, up 17 with 7 minutes left, up 17 with 6 minutes to go, up 20 with 5 minutes left... still no Vassell. It's not until there's 3:36 left in the game that Pop finally subs him in. The whole thing just felt like an oddly passive aggressive move against a rookie doing everything expected of him and more. There's no way Vassell goes to bed that night feeling inspired and energized to be a Spur.

Dejounte
04-22-2021, 03:40 AM
Vassell has to feel at least a little confounded by the whole situation. He had the best game of his NBA career against Indy while three vets rested, and played 25 minutes-- 8 more than his season average of just under 17 mpg-- and then in the next game got zero minutes through three quarters. In the fourth quarter, up 16 with 10 minutes to go, he still doesn't get on the floor. Up 17 with 9 minutes to go...nope, still no Vassell. Up 17 with 8 minutes to go, up 17 with 7 minutes left, up 17 with 6 minutes to go, up 20 with 5 minutes left... still no Vassell. It's not until there's 3:36 left in the game that Pop finally subs him in. The whole thing just felt like an oddly passive aggressive move against a rookie doing everything expected of him and more. There's no way Vassell goes to bed that night feeling inspired and energized to be a Spur.

Out of all the players I've seen in a while, Vassell is someone with the least ego. He's a true character guy and he's always pumped on the bench, especially tonight where he had a huge smile on the bench. Let's not create drama when there isn't any. As bad as us fans want to see them play, these guys are professionals and are likely told beforehand what their plan is for them. A lot goes behind the scenes, and they probably spend so much time with him going over film and working on his body. The only person I truly see that's unhappy is Trey Lyles whenever I see him on the bench, and it's pretty obvious why.

R. DeMurre
04-22-2021, 03:54 AM
Out of all the players I've seen in a while, Vassell is someone with the least ego. He's a true character guy and he's always pumped on the bench, especially tonight where he has a huge smile on the bench. Let's not create drama when there isn't any. As bad as us fans want to see them play, these guys are professionals and are likely told beforehand what their plan is for them. A lot goes behind the scenes, and they probably spend so much time with him going over film and working on his body. The only person I truly see that's unhappy is Trey Lyles whenever I see him on the bench, and it's pretty obvious why.

I don't question Vassell's ego/character/maturity one bit. There were a handful of posters who said, "watch, after Vassell's great game, I bet Pop hardly plays him at all in the next game" and that's exactly what happened. Why would fans who have experience watching the Spurs play make that prediction? Because it's happened before. It's become predictable. I don't doubt Vassell's ability to handle it-- I question why he should be dealing with it in the first place at all.

duncan2k5
04-22-2021, 06:50 AM
Pop knows what he is doing is stupid... But he does it because it goes against conventional wisdom... If he goes against conventional wisdom and wins, he looks like a genius (soft of like benching ur hall of fame player and elite defender and rebounder on the final play to win an nba championship)... Why do we downplay the fact that Pop can be a great guy, but he can also have an ego... Both things can be true

alpha_HaZE
04-22-2021, 06:55 AM
LOL, play Vassel and bench who? DeMar, Lonnie, Derrick, Keldon, DJ?

james evans
04-22-2021, 07:06 AM
In a perfect world you bench Derozan, but he’d melt down if that happened and pop is to much of a pussy to do that
yeah, you max guys out like that.. I fear it's coming

Chomag
04-22-2021, 07:18 AM
Who?? With the way he is being treated you would think he was a late second rounder if not a walk on... I just don't get it.

The Truth #6
04-22-2021, 07:18 AM
They probably don’t wanna piss off DDR by benching him in the hopes he’ll do a sign and trade in the summer, I guess...can’t wait to see that dude get off the team.

slick'81
04-22-2021, 07:51 AM
They probably don’t wanna piss off DDR by benching him in the hopes he’ll do a sign and trade in the summer, I guess...can’t wait to see that dude get off the team.

If thats the case this team is fucked,and you arent getting shit in a sign&trade for destar

KobesAchilles
04-22-2021, 07:52 AM
Pop dgaf about rookies. He only played Kawhi bc we had the big 3. The dude is scared out of his mind to play any youth. This treatment made a little bit of sense when they were down in Austin getting reps. This year though it makes zero sense not to be playing your rookie when you are the 10th fucking seed.

Mugen
04-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Pop dgaf about rookies. He only played Kawhi bc we had the big 3. The dude is scared out of his mind to play any youth. This treatment made a little bit of sense when they were down in Austin getting reps. This year though it makes zero sense not to be playing your rookie when you are the 10th fucking seed.

:lol

RC_Drunkford
04-22-2021, 02:26 PM

read my post again and maybe you will find the answer smartie :lol

Kurgan
04-22-2021, 03:21 PM

Should be noted that Pop didn't even start Kawhi at first in 2012. Gary Neal and Richard Jefferson started ahead of him that season. By the end of the year, those two were replaced by Danny Green and Kawhi in the starting lineup. I miss that Pop - the guy that rewarded good defenders with starting positions. Senile Pop let Bryn Forbes start for two whole seasons because he's a "hard worker" and "culture"

alpha_HaZE
04-24-2021, 12:32 AM
read my post again and maybe you will find the answer smartie :lol

Rudy? They don't play the same position; good grief.

rankingtear
04-24-2021, 03:30 AM
Flopovich doesn't recognize it, but this starting line up doesn't work. They need at least another 3-point shooter out there (besides White). Bench Keldon and play Vassell or Walker (I'd prefer Vassell).

What is your criteria for it not working. 11.7 net rating the last 15 games and 7.5 for the season. It is actually the same as the bubble lineup at 118 ORTG 110 DRTG.

RC_Drunkford
04-24-2021, 09:50 PM
What is your criteria for it not working. 11.7 net rating the last 15 games and 7.5 for the season. It is actually the same as the bubble lineup at 118 ORTG 110 DRTG.

My criteria for it not working is that the spacing is awful and teams can go zone without getting punished cause we don't have enough shooters on the floor. I don't care about the rating, once teams went zone consistently this team had a 4-12 record. They just now are starting to come back from that and most of their wins were against tanking teams.

8sy21vd
04-24-2021, 10:23 PM
Gay looks like he's struggling to walk at times and Mills looks literally drugged with zero energy as of late. Vassell/Luka bring speed and defensive energy, which we really need and is a really underrated skill. We can only hope Pop rests Mills/Gay every other game so they get some real minutes. Walker has been really disappointing especially on the defensive end. He should be a lot better especially with his elite athleticism.

rankingtear
04-25-2021, 07:04 AM
My criteria for it not working is that the spacing is awful and teams can go zone without getting punished cause we don't have enough shooters on the floor. I don't care about the rating, once teams went zone consistently this team had a 4-12 record. They just now are starting to come back from that and most of their wins were against tanking teams.

Assuming you started the thread after the lost to MIA, I would not change the lineup because it failed against MIA zone, even contenders with more shooting has problems with it. And we are not the only ones playing against tanking teams. The starting unit is outscoring teams by 4.7 the last 15 games good for 3rd in the NBA. The bench is outscored by 3.1 26th. And the most important zone breaker is a tall high post player with threat to score, Rudy had the most success with it in the MIA game.

BillMc
04-25-2021, 12:20 PM
It is going to be interesting to see which of DJ, White, Lonnie, Vasell and Jones ends up the long term starters, which ends up a key bench guy, and which is inevitiably traded or allowed to leave.

TD 21
04-25-2021, 03:14 PM
It is going to be interesting to see which of DJ, White, Lonnie, Vasell and Jones ends up the long term starters, which ends up a key bench guy, and which is inevitiably traded or allowed to leave.

Starters: Murray, Poeltl, Johnson, either White or Vassell. This spot depends on Johnson's development as an on ball creator or lack thereof. If it's significant, starting Vassell makes more sense. If not, they can't afford to.

Key bench players: Either Vassell or White.

Back end rotation players: Jones, Eubanks.

Traded or allowed to leave: Walker IV, Samanic.

Dejounte
04-25-2021, 04:16 PM

Unfortunately, there's a universe that exists where Lonnie never gets "it" so I could see him being a casualty.

Dejounte seems like a ticking time bomb with what he usually posts on social media.

So those two I could see as the odd men out.

Tre could probably work his way to be a starter alongside White.

Luka, I have a sneaky suspicion will be our starting four next season.

Vassell is one of the best, if not the best, catch and shoot players. It's possible he's our best shooter for the next decade.

White's personality embodies Spurs' culture.

Keldon seems loyal, probably a Spur for life.

BackHome
04-25-2021, 04:49 PM
Have to agree with ya Vassell is taking someone minutes next year and he should be starting next season- It will be an interesting off season I think or I hope that the Spurs can do a sign and trade with Derozz that will get us a draft pick - I also think we could draft another PG/SG depending where we draft so the possibility of Walker being included in that trade could be pretty high

PG - White/Murray
SG - Vassell
SF - Keldon
PF - Luka
C - Poodle

PG - Murray/White
SG - Draft Pick/Walker
SF - KBD
PF - Eubanks
C - Dieng

TD 21
04-25-2021, 05:02 PM
More like . . .

Starters: Markkanen, Johnson, Poeltl, White, Murray.

Bench: Mills/Forbes, Vassell, Eubanks, Walker IV, Samanic, Dieng, Jones.

Jones competes with Walker IV for minutes, Dieng with Eubanks and TBD with Samanic.

GAustex
04-25-2021, 05:21 PM
Da fuk Forbes

SpursDynasty85
04-25-2021, 05:31 PM
Vassell will eventually start. Hopefully by the end of next season.

tbdog
04-26-2021, 02:23 AM
More like . . .

Starters: Markkanen, Johnson, Poeltl, White, Murray.

Bench: Mills/Forbes, Vassell, Eubanks, Walker IV, Samanic, Dieng, Jones.

Jones competes with Walker IV for minutes, Dieng with Eubanks and TBD with Samanic.

Spurs will have nearly 50mil in cap space if DDR/Gay/DDR gone. What are you doing with that cap space?

Em-City
04-26-2021, 06:16 AM
Spurs will have nearly 50mil in cap space if DDR/Gay/DDR gone. What are you doing with that cap space?
Paying a guy who can't get minutes in Chicago ��
Who is Jones though?

Spurs Homer
04-26-2021, 10:37 PM
Was it a mirage tonite...

or did i see vassell play for about 5 seconds and then bertans hit a three and pop pulls vassell

patty and gay get torched repeatedly and miss defensive assignments all fucking nite tho’

fuck pop

just got lucky that wizards are undisciplined

Darius Bieber
04-26-2021, 10:42 PM
Was it a mirage tonite...

or did i see vassell play for about 5 seconds and then bertans hit a three and pop pulls vassell

patty and gay get torched repeatedly and miss defensive assignments all fucking nite tho’

fuck pop

just got lucky that wizards are undisciplined

Yep, according to the official Box Score, Vassell got 28 seconds :lmao tonight.

meanwhile, Haliburton is popping off and killing the Mavs. And people still wonder why no young player wants to come play for the Spurs.

DAF86
04-26-2021, 11:22 PM

Nobody. Play a normal 10 men rotation. Murray, White, DD, Keldon, Jak -- Mills, Lonnie, Vassell, Gay, Drew/Dieng.

The kid puts up the work, improves, gets a career night, and his reward is falling out of the rotation. It just doesn't make sense any way you look at it. Pop's shtick with rookies is getting pretty old, tbh. Vassell has everything the Spurs need: length on the wings, good man and team defense, and, more importantly, volume 3pt shooting. The kid should be starting, let alone getting DNP's.

Spurs Homer
04-27-2021, 09:09 AM
Nobody. Play a normal 10 men rotation. Murray, White, DD, Keldon, Jak -- Mills, Lonnie, Vassell, Gay, Drew/Dieng.

The kid puts up the work, improves, gets a career night, and his reward is falling out of the rotation. It just doesn't make sense any way you look at it. Pop's shtick with rookies is getting pretty old, tbh. Vassell has everything the Spurs need: length on the wings, good man and team defense, and, more importantly, volume 3pt shooting. The kid should be starting, let alone getting DNP's.

i agree and raise you to

an 11 man rotation including luka

if ewwwbanks can show this much improvement with extended playing time- so can luka and vassell

its just disgusting to watch

TD 21
04-27-2021, 05:50 PM

It's not about what I'm doing with it, it's about what the Spurs are most likely to do with it.

Paying a guy who can't get minutes in Chicago 😂
Who is Jones though?

Mostly since Vucevic's arrival (negative defensive overlap) and to a lesser extent Theis'.

BillMc
04-28-2021, 04:25 AM
With White out will it happen?

Fireball
04-28-2021, 04:52 AM
With White out will it happen? I think Lonnie will start ... even with White out Vassell may not play many minutes which is a travesty. Mills for the loss ...

Chomag
04-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Yep, according to the official Box Score, Vassell got 28 seconds :lmao tonight.

meanwhile, Haliburton is popping off and killing the Mavs. And people still wonder why no young player wants to come play for the Spurs.
Ding Ding Ding!
It was understandable when we had the big 3 of all time all stars and a winning team to play behind and being given an opportunity to take their time to grow but now these young guys are being made to sit behind and watch scrubs play even on a losing team....it really makes no sense

Even if we had the rookie of the year on this team they wouldn't be because Pop would just have the rotting on the bench right now.

NASpurs
04-28-2021, 05:46 PM
We did it fam :cry

Degoat
04-28-2021, 05:54 PM
We did it fam :cry

Nba title here we come!! Lol watch him lay a big freaking egg tonight

Obi Juan Kenobi
04-28-2021, 06:14 PM
Nice!!!

BillMc
04-28-2021, 06:15 PM
Whaoo!!!!!!!!!!

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 06:27 PM
he's gotta be really aggressive looking for his shot with this starting unit. catch and shoot, no hesitation, green light, etc

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 06:27 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1387548708842053632?s=19

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 06:29 PM
wow that really explains why pop has been giving him so few minutes so far!

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:11 PM
Nba title here we come!! Lol watch him lay a big freaking egg tonight

so far your prediction is right. LOL

to be fair, he has only taken 2or3 shots

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2021, 10:00 PM
Played a great 2nd half. He was out of rhythm in the first, which makes sense with the little playing time he been getting recently. He will only get better from here on

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 10:06 PM
He got it going in the 2nd half which was great.

I honestly think he should’ve gotten more run in the 4th quarter at Lonnie’s expense

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2021, 10:07 PM
He got it going in the 2nd half which was great.

I honestly think he should’ve gotten more run in the 4th quarter at Lonnie’s expense

Agree. Lonnie was stinking it up on D out there

Mr. Body
04-28-2021, 10:52 PM

This Popovich should figure out who controls Vassell's minutes and go talk to him.

slick'81
04-28-2021, 11:03 PM
Double figures for my man!

Dejounte
04-29-2021, 04:23 AM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1387615837733982208?s=19

Fireball
04-29-2021, 06:11 AM
Pop can be hilarious ...

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-29-2021, 10:01 AM
I hope he proves the folks who’ve been rooting for him, right.

I really think at worst (barring injuries) he will be a solid role player for a long time in the NBA but, I see a bit more in him.

Most likely not a star but a very high level role player who could be important to any team trying to win a championship

SpursDynasty85
04-29-2021, 02:06 PM
His defense has been a step slow lately as he is actually over thinking and overcommitting help too much and losing his man on simple pick n rolls. Once this kid gets all this support role and defense down, he will be our "JJ Reddick"-type player but way more bounce and can block some shots on the weak side.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-29-2021, 03:21 PM
nah jj is a minus-defender

slick'81
04-29-2021, 03:52 PM
DV is going to be fucking good

SpursDynasty85
04-29-2021, 03:55 PM
nah jj is a minus-defender

Not really. It took him a bit to get acclimated but especially in his Clippers days he was regarded as a pretty good defender. (haven't researched any advanced stats or anything) Besides I meant the part that we know he is good at: off the ball movement and catch and shoot. He spreads the floor and tires out their best defenders.

DAF86
04-29-2021, 09:49 PM
Vassell shouldn't get out of the SL ever again. For the next 10 years.