timvp
04-26-2021, 11:24 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-washington-wizards-game-60/

Road games :tu
Derrick White :depressed

BillMc
04-26-2021, 11:30 PM
Thanks OP.

So, is Lonnie prone to migraines? Or was this something else?

heyheymymy
04-26-2021, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the grades.

Derozan got the pineapple tonight. Whatever that means.

KobesAchilles
04-26-2021, 11:36 PM
Wtf happened to Lonnie?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-27-2021, 01:00 AM
Coach really didn’t do the greatest job. He got lucky with Patty hitting a couple of late shots because putting Mills on Beal was similar to his brilliant decision to put Mills on Trey Young when we lost to Atlanta. And why no Vassell? DeRozan bailed Pop out tonight.

John B
04-27-2021, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Spot on. I specially like Keldon's mid-range shots. His brawny attack of the rim, mixed with sweet jumpshots? This kid would be a scoring machine. If he could stop on a dime and hit those mid-range? Damn. I also like Poeltl consistently hitting his freethrows, and getting confidence. We need our starting C to be able to stay at the end of the game. Kudos to Poeltl on working on his freethrows. Other than White getting injured (I hope it's not that bad), I like this game a lot. Our guys really showed a fight until the end, especially Demar who just went head-to-head with the EC POW, Beal. Good win.

If even White would miss time or limited minutes, we might we Lonnie beasting again. I don't like the situation, but Lonnie needs to be awaken.

Fireball
04-27-2021, 01:27 AM
seeing Mills on the floor in clutch situations guarding the other teams superstar guard ... damn, first time that worked out this season :rollin

tbdog
04-27-2021, 01:48 AM
Coach really didn’t do the greatest job. He got lucky with Patty hitting a couple of late shots because putting Mills on Beal was similar to his brilliant decision to put Mills on Trey Young when we lost to Atlanta. And why no Vassell? DeRozan bailed Pop out tonight.

Actually, I thought putting Mills and Beal and DDR on Westbrook was a good decision. It didn't matter at the end. Everyone was scoring and I didn't feel that Beal or Westbrook was hurting their defender during that period. Also, it was for a short spell until Murray came back.

slick'81
04-27-2021, 02:14 AM
Actually, I thought putting Mills and Beal and DDR on Westbrook was a good decision. It didn't matter at the end. Everyone was scoring and I didn't feel that Beal or Westbrook was hurting their defender during that period. Also, it was for a short spell until Murray came back.

You are 100% correct. Wgaf if our worst defender is guarding their best player when neither team was getting stops. Just put your best scorers out there and hope for the best. Pop just toying with the opposition tbh

NK123
04-27-2021, 02:45 AM
- This win means a lot.

- We won even with the Wizards showing a lot more energy.

- This team can win against the best. We must bring this type of focus against weaker teams.

$pursDynasty
04-27-2021, 10:02 AM
The Jakob stans have grown really quiet lately. I am starting to think they were more anti-LMA trolls. I would have given Jakob an F+ last night, he was a big negative on offense and nothing positive on defense. Len abused him and it might have been one of the worst games I have ever seen him play. Eubanks was a much better player on offense, and there isn't a big difference on defense.

ragas
04-27-2021, 12:38 PM
The Jakob stans have grown really quiet lately. I am starting to think they were more anti-LMA trolls. I would have given Jakob an F+ last night, he was a big negative on offense and nothing positive on defense. Len abused him and it might have been one of the worst games I have ever seen him play. Eubanks was a much better player on offense, and there isn't a big difference on defense.

Jakob played great in the last weeks. No need for you to troll around after one bad game.

JeffDuncan
04-27-2021, 01:04 PM
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the officiating in that game. 60 free throws. For example. It was the worst I’ve seen this year.

Seventyniner
04-27-2021, 01:24 PM
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the officiating in that game. 60 free throws. For example. It was the worst I’ve seen this year.

Not just that, it was very inconsistent throughout the second half (I didn't see the first half, it might have been that way too). For a while it seemed like the refs were calling everything, then there would be stretches where they'd swallow their whistles. Players on both sides were getting frustrated, and imo justifiably so.

KobesAchilles
04-27-2021, 03:21 PM
Jakob played great in the last weeks. No need for you to troll around after one bad game.
The dude injured our best player. He quite possibly/probably cost us a playoff spot. I know most fans don't care about the playoffs but I do. It's nice being in them.

Dex
04-27-2021, 05:55 PM
The dude injured our best player. He quite possibly/probably cost us a playoff spot. I know most fans don't care about the playoffs but I do. It's nice being in them.

I guess it's Jakob's fault for....standing there? I guess he should have magically anticipated that White was going to land on his foot?

FFS, why do people feel like a finger has to be pointed at someone all the time? Why does everything always have to be SOMEONE's fault?

It's a high-speed sport and shit happens. Teams win, teams lose, people get hurt. Get over it.

KobesAchilles
04-27-2021, 06:05 PM
I guess it's Jakob's fault for....standing there? I guess he should have magically anticipated that White was going to land on his foot?

FFS, why do people feel like a finger has to be pointed at someone all the time? Why does everything always have to be SOMEONE's fault?

It's a high-speed sport and shit happens. Teams win, teams lose, people get hurt. Get over it.
Bc he’s the one that injured him. And yeah he did just stand there. That was my point. Didn’t even try to contest the shot just stood in the way like a big clumsy dinosaur and injured our best player in the process. Ffs how could somebody blame Jak for hurting White when he was the one who hurt him :cry

Dex
04-27-2021, 06:14 PM
Bc he’s the one that injured him. And yeah he did just stand there. That was my point. Didn’t even try to contest the shot just stood in the way like a big clumsy dinosaur and injured our best player in the process. Ffs how could somebody blame Jak for hurting White when he was the one who hurt him :cry

Maybe you should review the video again:

Jakob is covering his assignment (Len) who drifts to the corner.

White allows Rui to drive inside for the layup. Derrick is beat, which would require a defensive rotation in the post.

Jakob steps up to contest, but Rui is already going into his shot. He stops because he is already too late to contest at that point and tries avoid the foul (since he was already in foul trouble).

White unfortunately lands on his foot.

These are all basic basketball plays.

Jakob didn't try to injure White. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time while trying to make a normal defensive rotation. Again, shit happens, and anybody who has played competitive basketball understands that.

By your inane logic, maybe White shouldn't have let Rui to just blow by him if he didn't want to get hurt.

But go ahead and continue to point fingers if it makes you feel better.

KobesAchilles
04-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Maybe you should review the video again:

Jakob is covering his assignment (Len) who drifts to the corner.

White allows Rui to drive inside for the layup. He is beat, which would require a defensive rotation in the post.

Jakob steps up to contest, but Rui is already going into his shot. He stops because he is already too late to contest at that point and tries avoid the foul (since he was already in foul trouble).

White unfortunately lands on his foot.

These are all basic basketball plays.

Jakob didn't try to injure White. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time making while trying to make a normal basketball play. Again, shit happens, and anybody who has played competitive basketball understands that.

By your inane logic, maybe White shouldn't have let Rui to just blow by him if he didn't want to get hurt.
That’s not logic at all. Jak hurt White. Rui didn’t do anything to White at all. Just bc you spit out some hypothetical bullshit doesn’t discount that fact. I mean what’s your definition of competitive basketball? I mean yeah I played high school? Is that good enough? We’re you like some all American college player or something? Or is this some keyboard warrior stuff. Well if you played D1 basketball like I did then you would know

What I do know is that I have the wherewithal and the knowledge to move out of a teammates way if they are about to jump into me. I was just kinda aware of stuff like that especially since That happens all the time in my non competitive playing days. I guess expecting Jak to have reflexes is too much though.

Dejounte
04-27-2021, 06:25 PM
Never fails to amaze me how people would rather double down on their hatred than keep an open mind.

KobesAchilles
04-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Never fails to amaze me how people would rather double down on their hatred than keep an open mind.
Yeah the Derrick White hate on this board is strong. Dude gets undercut by his clumsy teammate and Jakboys come all out of the woodwork to defend their guy

Dex
04-27-2021, 06:32 PM
That’s not logic at all. Jak hurt White. Rui didn’t do anything to White at all. Just bc you spit out some hypothetical bullshit doesn’t discount that fact. I mean what’s your definition of competitive basketball? I mean yeah I played high school? Is that good enough? We’re you like some all American college player or something? Or is this some keyboard warrior stuff. Well if you played D1 basketball like I did then you would know

What I do know is that I have the wherewithal and the knowledge to move out of a teammates way if they are about to jump into me. I was just kinda aware of stuff like that especially since That happens all the time in my non competitive playing days. I guess expecting Jak to have reflexes is too much though.

I guess in all your levels of competitive play, you never stepped the wrong way. Or twisted an ankle. Or committed a foul or got in the way of one of your teammates.

I'm sure every single step and every move and every play you made went exactly as planned.

Hell, maybe you should be in the NBA instead of Jakob if you had that kind of prescience and reflexes. :rolleyes

I'm not disputing the fact that White landed on Poeltl's foot. The video clearly shows that.

But putting blame on Poeltl for doing his job and being where he should be is asinine and you know it.

JuneJive
04-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Yak injured White.

How retarded one has to be to come to that conclussion, smh.

KobesAchilles
04-27-2021, 07:07 PM
I guess in all your levels of competitive play, you never stepped the wrong way. Or twisted an ankle. Or committed a foul or got in the way of one of your teammates.

I'm sure every single step and every move and every play you made went exactly as planned.

Hell, maybe you should be in the NBA instead of Jakob if you had that kind of prescience and reflexes. :rolleyes

I'm not disputing the fact that White landed on Poeltl's foot. The video clearly shows that.

But putting blame on Poeltl for doing his job and being where he should be is asinine and you know it.
I’m really lucky but I’ve never been hurt playing basketball. I’ve never sprained my ankle or hurt my knee or anything. Though of course I trained on my balance and learned at a very young age how to foul

i have been in lots of situations like Derrick (to be fair to Jak) where I’m in the air and about to land on somebody’s foot and twist my ankle but I always just collapsed to the floor in those situations. I put zero weight on my foot while I landed bc I didn’t want to sprain my ankle. It made me look stupid just falling on the floor but hey it worked. No injury ever to my ankle.

Of course I fouled people but real talk whenever I saw a teammate or opponent in the air and about to land on me, I moved out of the way. It’s not that hard of a thing to do if you’re paying attention. Jak is 7 feet so maybe he just doesn’t give a fuck if somebody does land on him. I’m only 6 feet and I did care lol especially when it was like a center or somebody huge.

GAustex
04-27-2021, 07:18 PM
Yak injured White.

How retarded one has to be to come to that conclussion, smh.

Suspicion is he is trolling

offset formation
04-27-2021, 10:04 PM

Pop lost me this year finally. His shit last year with Bryn should have done it, but not playing Vassell and Luka is simply unforgiveable given the rapid succession of games, the nature of that game being as high scoring, and given the need for player development.

I mean these guys are all we have, and they are the future and they're riding the fucking bench given all of that, literally the game(s) after he says they're earning playing time. I'm done with Pop.

He's simply gotten too full of himself.

BillMc
04-27-2021, 10:18 PM
Pop lost me this year finally. His shit last year with Bryn should have done it, but not playing Vassell and Luka is simply unforgiveable given the rapid succession of games, the nature of that game being as high scoring, and given the need for player development.

I mean these guys are all we have, and they are the future and they're riding the fucking bench given all of that, literally the game(s) after he says they're earning playing time. I'm done with Pop.

I'm not done with Pop, but I do agree with everything you said on player development. If White's missing extended time, then start Devin (Or Lonnie, but I'd rather give Devin the time). Or move DeMar to the 2, Keldon to the 3 and start Luka at the 4. I understand in the days when we had contending teams that rookies would have to wait. And I understand the need to have the young ones earn their spots. But, as you said, when they play well (Luka's 14 point game, Devin's 18 point game, stellar defense by both) and then are nearly shut out of games afterwards. It must be frustrating for them. It's frustraing for us.

ragas
04-27-2021, 11:21 PM
Scrubs who want to blame Jakob desperately looking for arguments to justify their standpoint to not sign him before the season. They don‘t run out of dumb takes.

„No effort“ - Hustle stats prove them wrong
“Can‘t stay on the floor“ - He played 30+ several games
“Injured White“ - Really? White hurts himself every second week. Last time he simply landed on his foot without being touched by someone and was out a few weeks.

Elementis
04-28-2021, 06:27 AM

let's put even more spin on it:
"Derrick tried to injure Jak by stomping on his foot, but failed and hurt himself in the process. Guy cannot even injure someone properly. what a scrub!!"

KobesAchilles
04-28-2021, 07:26 AM
let's put even more spin on it:
"Derrick tried to injure Jak by stomping on his foot, but failed and hurt himself in the process. Guy cannot even injure someone properly. what a scrub!!"
It’s unfortunate that our best player is made out of glass. But at the end of the day, Jak injured White. Also those Jakboys coming in here to defend their guy after last nights performance? No defense, couldn’t stay on the floor bc he was useless, AND he injured Derrick White? I am praying for Collins in the off-season that’s for sure bc we aren’t making the playoffs anymore when we had a damn good shot at it. But hey, atleast we signed a scrub for cheap!

Elementis
04-28-2021, 07:36 AM
i think you need to let go of that "he injured him" thought. simply being in a place you are entitled to (and in situationally likely to be) does not qualify as an act of actively injuring someone who just isn't able to land after jumping.
might as well blame the opposing player by mking him contest there after blowing past him originally.

ragas
04-28-2021, 08:06 AM
i think you need to let go of that "he injured him" thought. simply being in a place you are entitled to (and in situationally likely to be) does not qualify as an act of actively injuring someone who just isn't able to land after jumping.
might as well blame the opposing player by mking him contest there after blowing past him originally.

Who‘s to blame that are KobesAchilles parents for not using a condom.

GAustex
04-28-2021, 08:10 AM
:tongue

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:22 AM

It may be a thought content abnormality with him. He has fixed, rigid, self-justified sets of ideas that are at odds with reality. It's different compared to actual trolls, sociopaths on this website because he sincerely believes in what he's saying.

KobesAchilles
04-28-2021, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't the answer be found in the very question you asked? What a dumbass. Can't even say an insult right. You Jakboys really are stupid.

ragas
04-28-2021, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't the answer be found in the very question you asked? What a dumbass. Can't even say an insult right. You Jakboys really are stupid.

:troll:lmao

Dex
04-28-2021, 09:43 AM

There may be a problem with your point of view if everyone else around you disagrees. I don't see a whole lot of people flocking to defend your take.

But you are obviously smarter then everyone else, and also super smart because you managed to play D1 basketball without ever making a mistake.

ragas
04-28-2021, 09:53 AM
There may be a problem with your point of view if everyone else around you disagrees. I don't see a whole lot of people flocking to defend your take.

But you are obviously smarter then everyone else, and also super smart because you managed to play D1 basketball without ever making a mistake.

He‘s a fun guy

https://media.giphy.com/media/dJtoGmnupA00QaJitW/giphy.gif

KobesAchilles
04-28-2021, 10:16 AM

Oh I never played D-1. I was asking if the other guy played D-1. Bc he was saying that if I played competitive basketball and I was just wondering what constituted as competitive basketball. Bc I was just high school.

Hell I scrimmaged against UTSA players twice a week one summer for my AAU team in high school and they killed us lol. I remember thinking, these guys aren't even Duke and they're this good? The athleticism they had was insane. I could process what they were going to do before they did it, but I was just too slow to do anything about it. Their first step was just fantastic. I was just saying that I never got hurt or twisted an ankle. I always had good balance. I practiced very hard on my balance. I learned how to fall correctly so I wouldn't twist my ankle. And I was just aware of people on the court. Being 6 foot while most of the others I guarded were 6-4 and above made me very aware of positioning bc otherwise you get hit and you get hit hard.

Yeah I know most posters on here love Jak and he can do no wrong. But we need an upgrade man. He kills spacing. He has zero gravity on the offense which makes trapping and switching very easy for the opposing players. Honestly on defense they could guard Jak with their point guard and he wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. The era of big men who can't do shit with the ball is over. We already play 90s ball with Demar. Do we have to do the same with Jak?

Dex
04-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Oh I never played D-1. I was asking if the other guy played D-1. Bc he was saying that if I played competitive basketball and I was just wondering what constituted as competitive basketball. Bc I was just high school.

Hell I scrimmaged against UTSA players twice a week one summer for my AAU team in high school and they killed us lol. I remember thinking, these guys aren't even Duke and they're this good? The athleticism they had was insane. I could process what they were going to do before they did it, but I was just too slow to do anything about it. Their first step was just fantastic. I was just saying that I never got hurt or twisted an ankle. I always had good balance. I practiced very hard on my balance. I learned how to fall correctly so I wouldn't twist my ankle. And I was just aware of people on the court. Being 6 foot while most of the others I guarded were 6-4 and above made me very aware of positioning bc otherwise you get hit and you get hit hard.

Yeah I know most posters on here love Jak and he can do no wrong. But we need an upgrade man. He kills spacing. He has zero gravity on the offense which makes trapping and switching very easy for the opposing players. Honestly on defense they could guard Jak with their point guard and he wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. The era of big men who can't do shit with the ball is over. We already play 90s ball with Demar. Do we have to do the same with Jak?

I would agree that I'm not sold on Jakob being a full time starter. For now, he has stepped up admirably, and his defensive efficiency stats back that up even if he has an off game here or there. He is probably better suited for a bench role, but he seems to perform best on this particular team at this particular time in the starting lineup.

Could the Spurs find someone better? Probably...but that doesn't change the situation we are in now.

The point remains...bang-bang plays happen all the time in the NBA. I've only played recreational and pickup ball, but that's enough to teach you how easy it can be to step in the wrong spot or be in the wrong place in the wrong time. I've been fortunate enough to only have a couple tweaked ankles and a knee bruise (falling on the concrete sucks), but going back to my point...shit happens in basketball. Some players manage to go through their careers without serious injury, others have careers derailed by it.

Blaming Poeltl for standing there is the same as blaming White for jumping and landing where Poeltl was standing. There is no point blaming anybody when it was clearly just an accident unless you just want to use it as vindication for your Poeltl hate.

KobesAchilles
04-28-2021, 10:44 AM
I would agree that I'm not sold on Jakob being a full time starter. For now, he has stepped up admirably, and his defensive efficiency stats back that up even if he has an off game here or there. He is probably better suited for a bench role, but he seems to perform best on this particular team at this particular time in the starting lineup.

Could the Spurs find someone better? Probably...but that doesn't change the situation we are in now.

The point remains...bang-bang plays happen all the time in the NBA. I've only played recreational and pickup ball, but that's enough to teach you how easy it can be to step in the wrong spot or be in the wrong place in the wrong time. I've been fortunate enough to only have a couple tweaked ankles and a knee bruise (falling on the concrete sucks), but going back to my point...shit happens in basketball. Some players manage to go through their careers without serious injury, others have careers derailed by it.

Blaming Poeltl for standing there is the same as blaming White for jumping and landing where Poeltl was standing. There is no point blaming anybody when it was clearly just an accident unless you just want to use it as vindication for your Poeltl hate.

I agree on this part. I said it mainly as a joke since I'm known as a huge Poeltl hater and then just went with it when people took it seriously. But the more I started arguing it the more i started convincing myself :lol For the life of me I don't know how to blue font on my iphone. White should know better than to land on someone and I don't even know why he jumped to begin with. It was one of those fake hustle plays where he can be like look I "attempted" to get back in the play.

But Poeltl just standing there like an idiot watching the made basket and then not being aware of his teammate did annoy me. Like if Poeltl would've done the fake hustle like White did then none of it would've happened. Of course hindsight works both ways with had Derrick not jumped to begin with...

Chomag
04-28-2021, 02:15 PM

That's what I keep asking myself...if its this frustrating watching these guys just sit on the sidelines all game I can only imagine how frustrating it might be for the young bucks especially right after having great games that they did, it's got to be hard not feeling like your being punished.

These guys should be given every opportunity to get ingame experience right now but of course Pop just won't have the youngsters develop and learn on their own without his thumb being on it.

I mean , they are not even having team practices right now how the hell does one expect them to learn and get better by just being the towel wavers.

In sure most of us here on Spurstalk watches allot of games but does that make us better players? I'm pretty sure not much :lol