DC23
04-27-2021, 05:43 PM
Go Spurs Go!

ismael-robert
04-27-2021, 07:55 PM
Too soon=loss

Fireball
04-28-2021, 04:49 AM
Miami will play that zone again ... Lonnie needs to hit his threes tonight!

BillMc
04-28-2021, 05:41 AM

This.

And we win by 4.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2021, 10:03 AM
I've never seen a zone be that effective, for that long, against an NBA team. Spoel made us look high school in our last meeting. Hopefully Pop and his coaches have cracked the code. Made me miss Ettore Messina. If it becomes a night of Patty chucking contested threes from 4 feet beyond the arc I'm going to lose my sh!t.

Miami by 5. Chopper buys a new TV.

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 10:06 AM
Since the records between the Heat and the Spurs are so close, winning this game may seal the deal on the 15th pick as being the highest the Spurs could get in the draft (if the Spurs continue being hot).

PrimeMinister
04-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Derrick was a good 15-20% of why I’ve been watching these treadmill games in the last month or so

I’m going to try to be excited about more derozan and the play in but blech

Go Spurs :(

Tung
04-28-2021, 10:52 AM
4 in a row!
I've never seen a zone be that effective, for that long, against an NBA team. Spoel made us look high school in our last meeting. Hopefully Pop and his coaches have cracked the code. Made me miss Ettore Messina. If it becomes a night of Patty chucking contested threes from 4 feet beyond the arc I'm going to lose my sh!t.

Tung
04-28-2021, 11:12 AM
5 in a row!
4 in a row!

John B
04-28-2021, 11:13 AM
Spurs Injuries: Derrick White (ankle - OUT), Trey Lyles (ankle - OUT)
Heat Injuries: Kendrick Nunn (neck - day to day), Andre Iguodala (day to day), Tyler Herro (foot - day to day), Duncan Robinson (illness - day to day), Victor Oladipo (knee - OUT)

Miami favored. Lonnie on a beast mode against the zone. Let's go!! Spurs by 7pts :flag::flag::flag:

quentin_compson
04-28-2021, 12:07 PM
:flag:

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2021, 12:12 PM

that's because all the other 29 teams start more than one 3-point shooter

exstatic
04-28-2021, 12:21 PM

No, players need to dribble into the paint, and hit that little 12 footer, just inside the foul line. There’s a dead spot in all zones, and that’s it. Only Rudy figured it out last time. If you miss, there’s a great chance for a putback, because zones keep defenders from putting a body on a rebounder very easily.

We don’t shoot well enough from 3 to break a zone that way, especially without White. Miami WANTS us to put up 3s, because when we miss, their high zone players are off to the races on the break.

John B
04-28-2021, 01:34 PM
No, players need to dribble into the paint, and hit that little 12 footer, just inside the foul line. There’s a dead spot in all zones, and that’s it. Only Rudy figured it out last time. If you miss, there’s a great chance for a putback, because zones keep defenders from putting a body on a rebounder very easily.

We don’t shoot well enough from 3 to break a zone that way, especially without White. Miami WANTS us to put up 3s, because when we miss, their high zone players are off to the races on the break.

Pop's idea of playing against the zone is Patty chucking 3's. When he misses, he got run over by big athletic guards, while Rudy cannot even get back on time

exstatic
04-28-2021, 01:41 PM
Pop's idea of playing against the zone is Patty chucking 3's. When he misses, he got run over by big athletic guards, while Rudy cannot even get back on time

Pop’s not telling them to shoot 3s over it. He’s not a fan of the shot at all. Your hatred has blinded you.

Rudy, DD, and DJ should all feast tonight in the lane any time Miami drops into the zone. Keldon and Poeltl should get some relatively easy put backs.

heyheymymy
04-28-2021, 01:44 PM
Spurs were penetrating the zone last game against the heat but they were getting swarmed without whistles and so they retreated to outside shots.

There was a stretch starting in 2Q where spurs couldn't get a call and Miami was getting 3 straight trips to the line. It was a 1-2 possession game up until that point.

KobesAchilles
04-28-2021, 01:55 PM
First thought when I saw the game thread was 6. It still haunts me

We play so much better on the road that I feel like we are going to win. But no White (thanks Jak) tonight and we are just a really inconsistent team. Plus we don't put our foot on teams throats when they are injured. Tough call to make

exstatic
04-28-2021, 01:57 PM
Spurs were penetrating the zone last game against the heat but they were getting swarmed without whistles and so they retreated to outside shots.

There was a stretch starting in 2Q where spurs couldn't get a call and Miami was getting 3 straight trips to the line. It was a 1-2 possession game up until that point.

You don’t hesitate, and they did last time. In fact, if they’re running that trap again, you attack IMMEDIATELY once you’re across half court, because you’ll have numbers as they try to scramble back into their zone. Don’t give them the chance.

John B
04-28-2021, 03:07 PM
First thought when I saw the game thread was 6. It still haunts me

We play so much better on the road that I feel like we are going to win. But no White (thanks Jak) tonight and we are just a really inconsistent team. Plus we don't put our foot on teams throats when they are injured. Tough call to make

I hate Derrick going down, but it should be an opportunity for Lonnie to beast up. The guy can score in different ways if he wants to.

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 03:09 PM
Spurs by 20+ tbh

KobesAchilles
04-28-2021, 03:43 PM
I hate Derrick going down, but it should be an opportunity for Lonnie to beast up. The guy can score in different ways if he wants to.
When Lonnie is assertive and calls his own number, he is a joy to watch. Lately though he hasn't been that. It could be as simple as coming off the bench with chuckers such as Rudy and Patty. I want him to not even look to his teammates today and just the hoop

John B
04-28-2021, 03:57 PM
When Lonnie is assertive and calls his own number, he is a joy to watch. Lately though he hasn't been that. It could be as simple as coming off the bench with chuckers such as Rudy and Patty. I want him to not even look to his teammates today and just the hoop

He's a good soldier who listens to Pop. Sometimes a little defiance like DJ, and Manu way back, should not hurt. But then again, they back up with defense and that's what Lonnie needs to work on also.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2021, 04:51 PM
Pop’s not telling them to shoot 3s over it. He’s not a fan of the shot at all. Your hatred has blinded you.

Rudy, DD, and DJ should all feast tonight in the lane any time Miami drops into the zone. Keldon and Poeltl should get some relatively easy put backs.

My hope is that you're right. I'd guess the young guys are much more prepared for this than last time. In our first game it was a trapping zone. I'm sure we'll see some wrinkles to that set, where Miami tests the zone's effectiveness, but hopefully our guys bust it easily. That was a painful second half in our previous game with Miami.

ace3g
04-28-2021, 05:14 PM
Paul Garcia (https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA)pAu (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=44691)lGarciaNBA
4m (https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1387529400657354758) Latest Heat injury report has Duncan Robinson now listed as questionable (stomach illness).

Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat
(https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat) 1m (https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/1387532369087893505)
Spoelstra says Nunn will definitely play and that Robinson likely will, too.

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 05:36 PM
anybody else find it weird that a guy named Duncan Robinson is not a spur

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 05:37 PM
https://twitter.com/DanWeissPBP/status/1387536130590052352?s=19

ace3g
04-28-2021, 05:37 PM
well crap

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/971852605390336000/uA0TeMUO_normal.jpg
Jeff McDonald @JMcDonald_SAEN
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN) 1m (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1387536220373270529)
Pop on Derrick White: "I don't expect him back this season."

ace3g
04-28-2021, 05:38 PM
Vassell starting per Pop

Chinook
04-28-2021, 05:40 PM
So it was officially a bad extension... Like it's not that White's not going to be worth it -- it's that it's obvious he wouldn't get a better deal in free agency. The Spurs will probably not need the cap space, but they did give up a large amount, and the gamble ended up not being worth it for the second extension in a row. I guess you can argue about keeping good relations, but from a pure money standpoint, they got unlucky twice in as many years.

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 05:44 PM
No fucking excuses for Vassell to not get minutes. Spurs had no real hope of doing anything if they make the playoffs and even less so without White

Robz4000
04-28-2021, 05:44 PM
So it was officially a bad extension... Like it's not that White's not going to be worth it -- it's that it's obvious he wouldn't get a better deal in free agency. The Spurs will probably not need the cap space, but they did give up a large amount, and the gamble ended up not being worth it for the second extension in a row. I guess you can argue about keeping good relations, but from a pure money standpoint, they got unlucky twice in as many years.

I'm fine with it tbh; sucks they were unlucky but the extension was the right decision. Besides, you never know what stupid contracts are gonna be given out this offseason.

NASpurs
04-28-2021, 05:45 PM
Vassell starting per Pop

This is bigger news than Derrick being out for the season.

Robz4000
04-28-2021, 05:46 PM
Hopefully the Spurs don't win another game this season. Need to get as far down the standings as possible.

Mugen
04-28-2021, 05:49 PM
:lol Better play Rudy/Patty/Derozan as much as possible to end the year - I mean why would a rookie get any minutes on a 10th seed team.

Chinook
04-28-2021, 05:49 PM
I'm fine with it tbh; sucks they were unlucky but the extension was the right decision. Besides, you never know what stupid contracts are gonna be given out this offseason.

I'm not retroactively saying the reasoning was bad. I'm more saying the Spurs did the extension likely in order to avoid having to pay White way more money as an RFA. With this closing his year, it doesn't seem like that was a real concern. I thought the decision to extend him made sense then. It just ended up not being the case.

Degoat
04-28-2021, 05:52 PM
Damnnnnnn that’s a big blow losing white the rest of the season, get well soon DWhite! Excited to see Vassell starting!!

Chinook
04-28-2021, 05:53 PM
Another factor in all this is that White tends to be a fast healer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back if it's at all close. The issue is that we don't know if his injury history and fast-healing are related.

EasyMoney
04-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Excited to see vassell get those deserved minutes.

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 05:56 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1387536984134983680?s=19

Lonnie a permanent bench fixture

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 06:01 PM
I'm not retroactively saying the reasoning was bad. I'm more saying the Spurs did the extension likely in order to avoid having to pay White way more money as an RFA. With this closing his year, it doesn't seem like that was a real concern. I thought the decision to extend him made sense then. It just ended up not being the case.

Simply not true. An injured White (especially one not requiring surgery) would surely be enticing to the 4+ teams with cap space this offseason. 17 mil isn't much and one of these dumb teams would have probably thrown a lot more money than that.

Chinook
04-28-2021, 06:02 PM
I don't love Walker off the bench with rest of the bench guys. It's still easy for him to get lost, and he doesn't play with any play-makers to help emphasize his off-ball game. Honestly, if Pop gives Lonnie the ball and tells him to create, there's a lot of upside there. Walker can look bad at times with the turnovers, but he can also look great breaking down a defense and finding the open man. It's a skill that really worth developing. But then Pop has to cut down on Mills dribble around trying to find a half-decent pull-up or Gay posting up. Those guys will naturally take the ball and make Walker a sporadic creator. They aren't even guys who'll set Lonnie up.

Vassell starting does still make sense, and I'd expect Walker's minutes to basically grow to replace White's while Vassell gets Lonnie's old minutes. Hopefully Mills' minutes don't just grow instead, but Pop may do that in order to have a "point guard" out there at all times.

BillMc
04-28-2021, 06:14 PM
Very happy Devin is starting.

Very unhappy White is out for the season.

Mystified how few pages Game Threads are these days. The casual fans have all fittered away like dust in the wind.

Chinook
04-28-2021, 06:15 PM
Simply not true. An injured White (especially one not requiring surgery) would surely be enticing to the 4+ teams with cap space this offseason. 17 mil isn't much and one of these dumb teams would have probably thrown a lot more money than that.

Nah. White's value certainly didn't go up this year. If he was obviously worth more before the extension, I doubt he'd've signed for what he did. We're talking about a guy who at the end of this year is slated to have only played in 61 percent of available regular-season games. And being 26 already and only putting up 15/4/3 doesn't help. Dude's an impact player for sure and can easily still make his extension a steal, but how many clubs can throw $80M-$100M at him on a four-year deal and feel comfortable? I'd argue none. His closest comparison is Brogdon, and he played 76 percent of his games before his big deal that was signed in a more optimistic cap situation. Best I could see is the Knicks trying to give him Brogdon's deal again.

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Hope this is the backcourt rotation we'll see when White comes back next season:

Murray/ White/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie

BillMc
04-28-2021, 06:21 PM
Nah. White's value certainly didn't go up this year. If he was obviously worth more before the extension, I doubt he'd've signed for what he did. We're talking about a guy who at the end of this year is slated to have only played in 61 percent of available regular-season games. And being 26 already and only putting up 15/4/3 doesn't help. Dude's an impact player for sure and can easily still make his extension a steal, but how many clubs can throw $80M-$100M at him on a four-year deal and feel comfortable? I'd argue none. His closest comparison is Brogdon, and he played 76 percent of his games before his big deal that was signed in a more optimistic cap situation. Best I could see is the Knicks trying to give him Brogdon's deal again.

This is off topic, Chinook, but considering you feel White's extension was a gamble that didn't go our way, what do you think the Spurs should do about Lonnie this offseason? He's younger than White, has more upside, but has also been massively inconsistent and showed no defensive instincts. Should they extend him and, if so, really what would be a good deal? Or give Lonnie another year and risk him breaking out and then having an RFA situation? I'm leaning towards the latter.

BillMc
04-28-2021, 06:23 PM
Hope this is the backcourt rotation we'll see when White comes back next season:

Murray/ White/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie

Yeah. That would be my first choice. White on lower minutes for health reason and using his skills to set up Lonnie. Meanwhile, hopefully Devin turns into a great 3-D for the starting unit.

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 06:25 PM
Devin is going to have to show a really quick and aggressive trigger finger to survive imo. that's something that White actually started doing at a solid level from outside

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 06:26 PM

Murray/ White/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie
or just have Murray/White/Vassell starting 1-3. move on from derozan.

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 06:28 PM
or just have Murray/White/Vassell starting 1-3. move on from derozan.

I had Keldon at the 3. I don't think Vassell is a 3. He's better at 2, IMO.

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 06:30 PM
I had Keldon at the 3. I don't think Vassell is a 3. He's better at 2, IMO.
Vassell is much more of a 3 than Keldon tbh

Keldon is really a 3-4 tweener best fit to be a bench energy guy... or basically have the Rudy Gay role

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 06:30 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1387548708842053632?s=19

This quote should be a posterboard for people who shit on players who play very sparingly

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Vassell is much more of a 3 than Keldon tbh

Keldon is really a 3-4 tweener best fit to be a bench energy guy... or basically have the Rudy Gay role

Relative to Keldon, he may be. Without using Keldon as a comparison, he's a 2 to me.

Chinook
04-28-2021, 06:33 PM
This is off topic, Chinook, but considering you feel White's extension was a gamble that didn't go our way, what do you think the Spurs should do about Lonnie this offseason? He's younger than White, has more upside, but has also been massively inconsistent and showed no defensive instincts. Should they extend him and, if so, really what would be a good deal? Or give Lonnie another year and risk him breaking out and then having an RFA situation? I'm leaning towards the latter.

It's going to depend on what the Spurs do with their cap space this summer. The reason why White getting an extension raised some eyebrows is because the Spurs initially had enough cap space to look at two max players this summer. White and to some expect Poeltl made getting two max guys harder. If the Spurs are going to look to go into 2022's summer with cap space, then not extending Walker would help with that. Right now, the team is looking at around $34 Million in space assuming no one gets re-upped this off-season and Walker's hold is the one on the books next summer to consider. That's not enough for a vested max slot, but it would be enough to sign an RFA-level max. Could be worth it, but it's not as beneficial as having two vested max slots like the Spurs had a chance at this summer.

Said another way, if SA re-signs DeRozan or another free agent or makes a big acquisition this summer, then Walker's hold will likely already block out too much cap space to hope to add him and another notable free agent. If the Spurs are prepared to renounce him and lose him for nothing, then there's no reason to extend him. I agree with you that that's something they might already be willing to accept. But if they value him and are okay with extending him, then doing may not have the same opportunity cost as White's extension did. It could easily make sense to extend Walker.

Also, it's possible Walker's extension isn't for a lot of money. His cap hold for 2022 is currently for $13.3 Million. I could easily see the two sides agreeing to a deal starting at or even below that figure. Walker's stock is meh, and him being a bench player may not help. The Spurs might actually be able to open up a 2022 max slot by extending Walker for like $10 Million as the starting salary versus playing with his cap hold.

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 06:39 PM
Relative to Keldon, he may be. Without using Keldon as a comparison, he's a 2 to me.
imo he doesnt do enough with the ball in his hands to be a backcourt player.

BillMc
04-28-2021, 07:02 PM
It's going to depend on what the Spurs do with their cap space this summer. The reason why White getting an extension raised some eyebrows is because the Spurs initially had enough cap space to look at two max players this summer. White and to some expect Poeltl made getting two max guys harder. If the Spurs are going to look to go into 2022's summer with cap space, then not extending Walker would help with that. Right now, the team is looking at around $34 Million in space assuming no one gets re-upped this off-season and Walker's hold is the one on the books next summer to consider. That's not enough for a vested max slot, but it would be enough to sign an RFA-level max. Could be worth it, but it's not as beneficial as having two vested max slots like the Spurs had a chance at this summer.

Said another way, if SA re-signs DeRozan or another free agent or makes a big acquisition this summer, then Walker's hold will likely already block out too much cap space to hope to add him and another notable free agent. If the Spurs are prepared to renounce him and lose him for nothing, then there's no reason to extend him. I agree with you that that's something they might already be willing to accept. But if they value him and are okay with extending him, then doing may not have the same opportunity cost as White's extension did. It could easily make sense to extend Walker.

Also, it's possible Walker's extension isn't for a lot of money. His cap hold for 2022 is currently for $13.3 Million. I could easily see the two sides agreeing to a deal starting at or even below that figure. Walker's stock is meh, and him being a bench player may not help. The Spurs might actually be able to open up a 2022 max slot by extending Walker for like $10 Million as the starting salary versus playing with his cap hold.

Cheers. If we can get Walker for about 10 a year, it might be worth it given his athletcism and youth. The Spurs really have to consider who they're going to lock up. Keldon will up the year later. Everntually, somone has to break out, otherwise you're burning up all your salary cap on "okayish" (by NBA standards) guys without a star or two to make you a contender. As you say, opportunity cost, but SA has a hard time landing top tier FAs.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/DanWeissPBP/status/1387536130590052352?s=19

DAMN

honestly I’m not surprised though. It looked pretty bad

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 07:12 PM
Already starting with the bullshit fouls

LeBowen
04-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Jakob with his signature move, first possession foul.

LeBowen
04-28-2021, 07:16 PM
Alright, this one is an L boys.

BillMc
04-28-2021, 07:17 PM
Annoying start

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 07:18 PM
Bad passing early. SMH.

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 07:19 PM
Demar ball is losing ball against every team that isn't a bottom feeder.

Robz4000
04-28-2021, 07:22 PM
:lol this isn't even competitive

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 07:23 PM
When your first and second options(Demar/Murray)primary offensive weapon is a midrange jumper, you're gonna have a very bad time in the modern NBA.

R. DeMurre
04-28-2021, 07:23 PM
"Master of midrange" is a modern day euphemism for "don't worry, he ain't winning a championship."

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:26 PM
Atleast we have the built in white injury excuse

MultiTroll
04-28-2021, 07:26 PM
"Master of midrange" is a modern day euphemism for "don't worry, he ain't winning a championship."
The important thing is that he gets the majority of the offensive work and the Youngs don't develop. :pop:

Fusternino
04-28-2021, 07:27 PM
Did Vassell grow over the season?

slick'81
Dont worry guys patty hasnt been unleashed yet

D-Robinson 50 fan
The defense hasn’t been too bad so far. Hopefully they can at least keep the intensity on that side of the ball all game.

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:29 PM
Destar already pacing the spurs

CGD
Anyone else having issues with the new Bally Sports app? Seems to have some major kinks.

slick'81
:lol this isn't even competitive

Were only down 4 broski

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:30 PM
turned the game on. saw demar dribble himself into a turnover, and butler just go right at Patty for an easy 2 :lol

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:31 PM
Were only down 4 broski
4 possessions?

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 07:31 PM
Trash

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:32 PM
:lmao Lonnie always gets further from the basket after he leaves the ground

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:32 PM
Well that was quick and painless:lol

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 07:33 PM
The defense hasn’t been too bad so far. Hopefully they can at least keep the intensity on that side of the ball all game.

well there goes that. SMH

BillMc
Team must have partied on South Beach last night.

slick'81
DV going for double figures tonight

timtonymanu
04-28-2021, 07:34 PM
When your first and second options(Demar/Murray)primary offensive weapon is a midrange jumper, you're gonna have a very bad time in the modern NBA.

Yet people think bringing Derozan back is a formula for success because :cry iso closer

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:35 PM
Yet people think bringing Derozan back is a formula for success because :cry iso closer

bbb but hes soo fun to watch score the basketball:cry

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:36 PM
DV going for double figures tonight
double figure what? minutes?

EasyMoney
Dejounte has got to stop passing up 3s for mid range jumpers. Please. Stop it.

D-Robinson 50 fan
:lmao Lonnie always gets further from the basket after he leaves the ground

such a frustrating player. All that athletic ability and rarely uses it. SMH

slick'81
GO damit billMC that clevage is killing me:tongue

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:37 PM
he uses his athletic ability to create high degree of difficulty fadeaways toward the baseline instead of getting to the rim

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:37 PM
double figure what? minutes?

Yup 10 and counting

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:38 PM
this is not a game for Murray to be invisible...

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 07:38 PM
Team must have partied on South Beach last night.

They could be well rested with weeks to prepare and they'd still lose this game. Spurs simply don't have the personal to compete with good defenses in the modern NBA. Not enough consistent three point shooters, no strong rebounders, no true star(Demar's impact stats are horrendous for someone that's supposed to be a first option player).

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:40 PM
They could be well rested with weeks to prepare and they'd still lose this game. Spurs simply don't have the personal to compete with good defenses in the modern NBA. Not enough consistent three point shooters, no strong rebounders, no true star(Demar's impact stats are horrendous for someone that's supposed to be a first option player).

Yup, heat have the athletes to get after you. 20 points in quarter #1

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 07:41 PM

Bringing Dumbar back would continue the painful treadmill the team has been on for the past three years. Rip the band aid off and see if the youngsters sink or swim. Nothing to lose by dumping all the vets

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 07:41 PM
Poodle gets raped by any decent big man

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Bringing Dumbar back would continue the painful treadmill the team has been on for the past three years. Rip the band aid off and see if the youngsters sink or swim. Nothing to lose by dumping all the vets

Spurs really cant be dumb enough to believe this teAm will grow around destar

spurraider21
04-28-2021, 07:42 PM
Poeltl looks lost on defense

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:45 PM
Let's go lonnie

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:46 PM
Spurs within 5

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:47 PM
One of the best road teams in the league storming back

ace3g
04-28-2021, 07:48 PM

Bobby Marks BobbyMarks42
(https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42) 9m (https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1387567139398291456)
Rudy Gay has now played in 53 games and will earn a $500K bonus. The bonus was deemed likely before the season and will not impact his $14.5M cap hit.

slick'81
04-28-2021, 07:49 PM

Bobby Marks (https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42)Bob (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=9095)byMarks42
9m (https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1387567139398291456)
Rudy Gay has now played in 53 games and will earn a $500K bonus. The bonus was deemed likely before the season and will not impact his $14.5M cap hit.

nice

RC_Drunkford
Adebayo out here playing football

Dejounte
Fuck Bam and his illegal elbow

poopbox
04-28-2021, 07:53 PM
Out of all the basketball I watch the spurs are the only team who get their calls challenged and over turned with any regularity...

Sugus
04-28-2021, 07:53 PM
Lesss go Lonnie!

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2021, 07:54 PM
WTF is up with these refs letting Bam Adebayo getting away with everything. That was offensive goal tending

ace3g
04-28-2021, 07:57 PM
3:33 - 2nd

T

SA

MIA

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Rofl Dedmon thumping his chest and gave up an and one

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:01 PM
Keldon pulling DeMar aside and telling him "dont fuck this up and get a technical you crybaby"

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:01 PM
1:26 - 2nd

T

SA

MIA

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 08:02 PM
Worst team in the league at protecting a lead

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:04 PM
he uses his athletic ability to create high degree of difficulty fadeaways toward the baseline instead of getting to the rim

yes he does. The guy is so afraid of physical contact it ain’t even funny. He needs to look at his teammates like Demar, Keldon, and the ever improving Dejounte. They seek out the contact and try to finish through it, while he goes out of his way to avoid it.

Sugus
04-28-2021, 08:06 PM
:lmao even our shooting C passes up an open corner three to dribble into the paint, and get immediately stripped :lmao

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:07 PM
ughhhhh

https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/nba/500/mia.png&h=100&w=100

Goran Dragic makes 27-foot jump bank shot (Jimmy Butler assists)

54 - 55

https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/nba/500/sa.png&h=100&w=100

Gorgui Dieng makes free throw 2 of 2

54 - 52

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:07 PM
yes he does. The guy is so afraid of physical contact it ain’t even funny. He needs to look at his teammates like Demar, Keldon, and the ever improving Dejounte. They seek out the contact and try to finish through it, while he goes out of his way to avoid it.

funny enough while I was typing this Sean was saying the same thing.

saying Lonnie needs to use his speed and attack the hoop

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:08 PM
Dieng needs to hit the weight room. For a center he doesn't look very strong out there

BillMc
04-28-2021, 08:10 PM

He could be amazing, but he's either scared (because of his injury history?) or is over-thinking everything.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:14 PM
He could be amazing, but he's either scared (because of his injury history?) or is over-thinking everything.

most likely a bit of both. The coaching staff needs to tell him to be more aggressive and when certain folks are checking him they need to pump him up and let him know he can win his matchups.

I know folks like to blame Pop for everything but most of Lonnie’s issues are because of himself in my opinion

BlackAndWhite
04-28-2021, 08:20 PM
Maybe he's just not that strong compared to other players.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:20 PM
Here comes the zone defense against our poor 3 point shooters.

Hopefully our guys take their time and attack the soft middle areas and take the open 3’s instead of the forced ones the defense wants us to take.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:23 PM
Maybe he's just not that strong compared to other players.

you don’t have to be strong, you just have to know how to absorb the contact, get your shot off, and make it look like an obvious foul in your favor

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:25 PM
Damn that 3 by Keldon would have been huge

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:30 PM
What a series of plays by DJ. Nice!

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:30 PM
5:51 - 3rd

T

SA

MIA

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:32 PM
Great play by Dejounte on defense!!!

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:32 PM
I'm glad Devin is waking up from his first half slumber

BillMc
04-28-2021, 08:33 PM
most likely a bit of both. The coaching staff needs to tell him to be more aggressive and when certain folks are checking him they need to pump him up and let him know he can win his matchups.

I know folks like to blame Pop for everything but most of Lonnie’s issues are because of himself in my opinion

I agree

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2021, 08:33 PM
I'm telling y'all DJ has to make All Defensive team this year. His D is a game changer

heyheymymy
04-28-2021, 08:35 PM
Sweet 7-0 run there

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 08:35 PM
Fatty Mills laying an egg on a night when the team needs his 3 point shooting

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:37 PM
https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/4395630.png&h=152&w=152&scale=crop&transparent=true
https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/nba/500/sa.png&h=16&w=16 4:13 - 3rd
Devin Vassell makes 23-foot three point jumper (DeMar DeRozan assists)

74 - 67

Robz4000
OT but this storm in SA is nuts.

Dejounte
Devin Vassell is M O N E Y

Cha ching baby

heyheymymy
4:30 plus scoring drought for Miami

ace3g

Crazy when I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1387575058122436609

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 08:38 PM

Da fuq? That storm has a fucking demon face

heyheymymy
04-28-2021, 08:38 PM
12-2 spurs run over 3:30

emanueldavidginobili
04-28-2021, 08:39 PM
Patty is so bad right now.

Sugus

It's so easy to forget that a good portion of SpursTalk users actually reside in the same geographical city :lol

As a foreigner it's a wild concept, tbh

Uriel
I miss Dead Man.

RD2191
04-28-2021, 08:40 PM
My Pops lives west of SA near Castroville and said it was fucking nuts. Tornado was spotted near him, he was shitting bricks. :lol Said the hail was really bad too.

PhantomDashCam
04-28-2021, 08:41 PM
Fatty Mills laying an egg on a night when the team needs his 3 point shooting

Laying an egg would suggest he’s doing something, you’re giving him too much credit

Trill Clinton
This defense stinks

Kurgan
Not surprising this team can't protect a lead when they're trotting out Demar/Patty lineups

playbonner15
Spo > Pop

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:42 PM

oh shit. Hopefully it doesn’t start moving north east because I’m in Austin. I got the alert about possible rain here but then I heard them on television and seen you guys post and looked on my phone. Crazy. Stay safe folks

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 08:44 PM
My Pops lives west of SA near Castroville and said it was fucking nuts. Tornado was spotted near him, he was shitting bricks. :lol Said the hail was really bad too.

he okay?

I hope so

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 08:45 PM
Spo > Pop

Of course. Spo preaches defense while Pop preaches culture

Leetonidas
Mills being absolutely fucking worthless yet again

D-Robinson 50 fan
I like that Lonnie is trying to go to the hoop.

but like folks have said the defense has went to shit since the bench guys came in.

poopbox
04-28-2021, 08:46 PM
That play is exactly why Mills needs to go because he is one of the easiest scouted players in the entire league. Dragic knew there was no way he was actually going to go for a layup so he just jumped in the passing lane, waited for the inevitably patty drive and kick pass, and got the easiest steal he will get all year

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:46 PM
https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/4395630.png&h=152&w=152&scale=crop&transparent=true
https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/nba/500/sa.png&h=16&w=16 4:13 - 3rd
Devin Vassell makes 23-foot three point jumper (DeMar DeRozan assists)

74 - 67

grrrrr

1:08 - 3rd

T

SA

MIA

timtonymanu
04-28-2021, 08:47 PM
Mills hopefully will continue to suck. Maybe when they give him another 12:01 AM contract, it won’t be as much as 50 million.

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 08:47 PM
Fuck you Mills

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:48 PM
Walked away because of the weather, just saw who was closing the 3rd....

RD2191
04-28-2021, 08:48 PM
he okay?

I hope so
His truck got hit pretty good and he got a little scared there for a minute but he's fine. :lol Thanks for asking, I appreciate it.

Robz4000
04-28-2021, 08:49 PM
:lol just like last time they played the Heat. Pop has no clue how to coach anymore.

RC_Drunkford
tank commanders Patty & Rudy making sure the lead evaporates once again

Kurgan
Fatty Mills 1-6 from three, thought he was supposed to be a 3 point shooter? Guess he only makes em against the shit teams

MultiTroll
Not surprising this team can't protect a lead when they're trotting out Demar/Patty lineups
Numb Nutts ever consider the defensive laps when Pet Wombat and DD are in at the same time?
No.

Gay too. The trifecta.

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 08:50 PM
Literally the same shit as the last game vs Miami. Spurs get a tiny lead and completely shit themselves

ace3g
4:13 drought for Spurs...

End of 3rd

T

SA

MIA

RC_Drunkford
:lol just like last time they played the Heat. Pop has no clue how to coach anymore.

Pop is the best at doing the same thing over and over especially when it doesn't work

Uriel
Wow.

poopbox
04-28-2021, 08:51 PM
sean and bill acting incredulous about the spurs playing bad when patty and rudy come into the game :rollin

Kurgan
This is a repeat of the first Heat game. Spurs unable to protect their lead, Heat make a run in the 3rd while Spurs go on a drought leading to the inevitable blowout

D-Robinson 50 fan
His truck got hit pretty good and he got a little scared there for a minute but he's fine. :lol Thanks for asking, I appreciate it.

thats good he is fine.

hopefully that shit calms down and doesn’t come north. Lol.

8sy21vd
04-28-2021, 08:52 PM
Nice quarter from Mills lol

End of the 3rd Quarter
74 - 82

Patty Mills misses 26-foot three point jumper

74 - 77

Patty Mills misses 17-foot pullup jump shot

74 - 76

Patty Mills bad pass (Goran Dragic steals)

74 - 76

Patty Mills shooting foul

74 - 71

Patty Mills personal foul

74 - 67

Patty Mills defensive rebound

71 - 65

Patty Mills misses 26-foot three point jumper

69 - 65

Patty Mills enters the game for Dejounte Murray

69 - 65

spurs1990
04-28-2021, 08:52 PM
The great Patty Mills checked in at 5:40 with Spurs up 69-65.

Miami won the rest of the quarter 17-5. Pure coincidence I tell you

Slippy
04-28-2021, 08:53 PM
Pops response to this miami run is get Lonnie out for Vassell.

When Patty doing nothing offensively and is targeted on d.

Pop has lost it.

J_Paco
04-28-2021, 08:53 PM
Terrible end to the third quarter and now they're in a hole.

Gotta hope they have a good run in them to make this closer.

timtonymanu
04-28-2021, 08:54 PM
I hate how Pop has made me less of a Patty fan. He was one of my favorite players ever in his early years here and admire him for his indigenous pride and background but he’s so irritating to watch on the Spurs the last few years.

Leetonidas
Spurs will lose this game because even if they get the lead or tie it you know the senile old fuck will have Mills closing

AusSpur
Someone thaw out Pop, he should do some form of coaching while Miami go on a massive run.

ace3g
04-28-2021, 08:55 PM
10:26 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

boutons_deux
04-28-2021, 08:55 PM
time for patty to hit 2 quick 3s

RD2191
04-28-2021, 08:56 PM
thats good he is fine.

hopefully that shit calms down and doesn’t come north. Lol.
tbh :lol

J_Paco
04-28-2021, 08:56 PM
Someone thaw out Pop, he should do some form of coaching while Miami go on a massive run.

The team needs to make some shots, TBH, but I agree with everyone that Patty continuing to struggle is hurting the team. I thought the last game would help get him out of his funk.

He's continued to suck....

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 08:57 PM
time for patty to miss 2 quick 3s

Fixd

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 08:59 PM
So tired of what a soft pussy Jakob is on offense. Scrubs like Alex Len are hammering it down if they're anywhere near the rim and this guy just chucks soft floaters or makes weak tip attempt

D-Robinson 50 fan
It isn’t Patty’s fault just like it wasn’t Forbes fault. It’s the GM and Pop’s fault.

like it or not but shooting is one of the teams major weaknesses and Patty along with Forbes last year is some of those teams better shooters. Pop over played both those guys and put them in bad situations. Shit even Rudy is one of the better 3 point shooters this season.

PhantomDashCam
The team needs to make some shots, TBH, but I agree with everyone that Patty continuing to struggle is hurting the team. I thought the last game would help get him out of his funk.

He's continued to suck....

He’s shooting 35% overall for April which does not even include tonight’s game…

Uriel
Spoelstra’s a great coach.

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 09:00 PM
Nice 3 and 1 for Vassell

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 09:00 PM
Heat playing great defense, Spurs ain't coming back from this one without some fluky shooting

ace3g
04-28-2021, 09:01 PM
8:16 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

D-Robinson 50 fan
There you go Vassell. Sucks he missed the free throw

Slippy
Vaseel has been huge the second half. Keep it up just needed some tocuhes to get going.

Robz4000
RIP Poeltl

Leetonidas
Spurs choking at the line tonight

Darius Bieber
The Bulls without Lavine beat this Heat team :lmao :lmao

poopbox
04-28-2021, 09:02 PM
Poeltl getting dunked out of his pro keds :lmao

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 09:03 PM
Sean complaining about Lonnie passing it back out again

TimDunkem
Poeltl is a joke, tbh.

Kurgan
It isn’t Patty’s fault just like it wasn’t Forbes fault. It’s the GM and Pop’s fault.

like it or not but shooting is one of the teams major weaknesses and Patty along with Forbes last year is some of those teams better shooters. Pop over played both those guys and put them in bad situations. Shit even Rudy is one of the better 3 point shooters this season.

It's also a Demar problem. His inability to shoot means we have to always have to surround him with shooters no matter how bad they are defensively leading to those disastrous Demar/Patty lineups

Trill Clinton
Lonnie getting cooked by dragic

timtonymanu
The Bulls without Lavine beat this Heat team :lmao :lmao

How many teams beat us without their best players this season? Too many to count

Uriel
04-28-2021, 09:04 PM
Giving them a taste of their own medicine :lol

ace3g
6:15 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

poopbox
wtf is lonnie doing :lmao

Leetonidas
04-28-2021, 09:05 PM
Murray keeping them in it

ace3g
04-28-2021, 09:05 PM
6:00 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

Robz4000
04-28-2021, 09:06 PM
Really impressed with Murray this season tbh.

Leetonidas
:lmao jesus

emanueldavidginobili
Elite move by DJ

spurs1990
It's also a Demar problem. His inability to shoot means we have to always have to surround him with shooters no matter how bad they are defensively leading to those disastrous Demar/Patty lineups

He's the only star* in the league that couldn't hit a 3 if it depended on it. I'd trust Embid and Jokic to hit a 3 before DeRozan

ace3g
Looks like Spurs will lose in the 5-7 point range tonight.

5:53 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

emanueldavidginobili
Lonnie just lost

Dejounte
Lonnie playing hot potato with the ball

He was so good in the 2nd

Robz4000
Lonnie is beyond lost on defense.

boutons_deux
swapping baskets ain't gonna do it

PhantomDashCam
04-28-2021, 09:07 PM
Lonnie just had the NBAs first “butt” foul

playbonner15
I hate how Pop has made me less of a Patty fan. He was one of my favorite players ever in his early years here and admire him for his indigenous pride and background but he’s so irritating to watch on the Spurs the last few years.
Shouldnt be in a lineup with Demar or Gay tbh. He's a better fit in those defensive lineups Pop accidentally comes up from time to time

Leetonidas
This team is embarrassing on the defensive glass

$pursDynasty
04-28-2021, 09:08 PM
Jakob is stinking it up

ace3g
4th Quarter
(https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay/_/gameId/401307741#gp-quarter-4)

TIME
TEAM
PLAY
SCORE

4:54
Keldon Johnson makes layup (Dejounte Murray assists)
97 - 103

4:56
Dejounte Murray offensive rebound
95 - 103

4:58
Dejounte Murray misses 23-foot three point jumper
95 - 103

5:15
Jimmy Butler makes layup
95 - 103

5:20
Jimmy Butler offensive rebound
95 - 101

5:21
Goran Dragic misses 26-foot three point jumper
95 - 101

5:37
DeMar DeRozan makes jump bank shot
95 - 101

5:53
Jimmy Butler makes free throw 1 of 1
93 - 101

TimDunkem
What does Lonnie do well other than disappoint?

$pursDynasty
Lonnie is beyond lost on defense.
He has Jakob to keep him compamy

RC_Drunkford
04-28-2021, 09:09 PM
man take Lonnie out he's making all the wrong plays defensively. Put Vassell back in

Leetonidas
Lol giving up back to back and ones. This teams iq is so low

ace3g
4th Quarter
(https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay/_/gameId/401307741#gp-quarter-4)

TIME
TEAM
PLAY
SCORE

4:30
Kendrick Nunn shooting foul
97 - 106

4:40
Jimmy Butler makes free throw 1 of 1
97 - 106

Lonnie Walker IV shooting foul
97 - 105

Jimmy Butler makes 7-foot driving floating jump shot (Goran Dragic assists)
97 - 105

Slippy
Spurs cant stop butler.. expecting pop to respond with some more patty.

Robz4000
04-28-2021, 09:10 PM
Spo is coaching circles around Pop.

ace3g
TIME
TEAM
PLAY
SCORE

4:15
Spurs Full timeout
99 - 109

4:16
Kendrick Nunn makes 28-foot three point jumper (Goran Dragic assists)
99 - 109

DeMar DeRozan makes free throw 2 of 2
99 - 106

DeMar DeRozan makes free throw 1 of 2
98 - 106

Kendrick Nunn shooting foul
97 - 106

emanueldavidginobili
Spurs 2-3 defense fucking sucks.

$pursDynasty
04-28-2021, 09:11 PM
Whoever decided to go zone made a mistake. Our nan wasn't good but tons better than our zone d.

D-Robinson 50 fan
The Spurs have no clue how to play in his zone defense. So why in the hell are they running it. Jakob is too far under the hoop and the two back wing players are on top of their guys like they are playing man defense. Lmao.

you can tell they haven’t practice this shit much.

paperboy77
Seems Devin should be in there not Lonnie.

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 09:12 PM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1387588984696680450?s=19

Defensive play of the year

Kurgan
He's the only star* in the league that couldn't hit a 3 if it depended on it. I'd trust Embid and Jokic to hit a 3 before DeRozan

That's Pop/Buford/Wright's fault for giving up Kawhi for a fake star that has never made his teams better. Imagine choosing to "compete" with a mid range specialist that can't shoot or play defense. Spurs needed to trade Kawhi for picks, not flawed fake stars that only made their reputation in a historically weak Eastern Conference. Since coming to the big boy conference, Dumbar hasn't sniffed an all-star game

Trill Clinton
Lonnie and Poeltl are horrible on defense tonight.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 09:13 PM

that falls on the GM in my opinion. Get the players to compliment the best folks or get a better best player.

Sugus
04-28-2021, 09:14 PM
I'll be the first to say it..... Bring out Luka

Joseph Kony
04-28-2021, 09:14 PM
Glad i didnt bother watching this bullshit, sounds like its turning out exactly as i expected

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 09:15 PM
Seems Devin should be in there not Lonnie.

lonnie started off well on offense but has cooled off while Devin got it going and is already a better defender so......

yeah I agree 100% lol

J_Paco
He’s shooting 35% overall for April which does not even include tonight’s game…

Terrible....

Thankfully, Pop hasn't gone to him in the 4th, yet the team can't get any stops to cut this lead.

PhantomDashCam
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1387588984696680450?s=19

Defensive play of the year

Demar gets the pineapple, Lonnie gives the doughnut.

Kurgan
04-28-2021, 09:16 PM
Lonnie doesn't have the bball iq to be starting material or a closer. His ceiling is a bench scorer/energy guy.

D-Robinson 50 fan
04-28-2021, 09:17 PM
There you go Lonnie!!!

take it to the damn hoop!!

Dejounte
04-28-2021, 09:17 PM
Lonnie saw Sean's play

AusSpur
04-28-2021, 09:19 PM
Why no challenge?!?!

ace3g
04-28-2021, 09:19 PM
1:16 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

ace3g
04-28-2021, 09:20 PM
51.8 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

GAustex
I’m done with Walker
Trade him
He’s unable to make winning plays
He is not a winner

Sugus
Lonnie doesn't have the bball iq to be starting material or a closer. His ceiling is a bench scorer/energy guy.

Yeah, just like Dejounte doesn't have the handles nor shooting ability to be a starter. Sucks that young player just never improve, tbh

ace3g
#GameBlouses from OffReb...

Dejounte Murray shooting foul

108 - 113

Bam Adebayo makes 4-foot shot

108 - 113

Bam Adebayo offensive rebound

108 - 111

Kendrick Nunn misses 23-foot three point jumper

108 - 111

paperboy77
Why the hell won't Pop challenge?

ace3g
51.8 - 4th

T

SA

MIA

Dejounte
Murray almost did the same fucking thing as Lonnie :lmao

emanueldavidginobili
04-28-2021, 09:21 PM
Welp another L, sucks for Murray that kid gives it his all man.