PDA

View Full Version : PATFO couldn't give up a 2nd round pick for Kevin Porter Jr.?

kht
04-29-2021, 09:25 PM
We really couldn't part ways with Kevin Porter Jr. for a protected top 55 second round pick? I don't get it...

KPJ went for 50 today. A feat that none of the big 4 young have ever done (White, Murray, KJ, and White).

SA isn't exactly a top landing spot for free agents.

Leetonidas
04-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Neither did 28 other teams

spurs1990
04-29-2021, 09:47 PM
JR Smith part 2. I know a host of posters who wanted him in the 2019 draft. Million dollar talent.

Plus he's one Southern California swingman would love to have on the roster

exstatic
04-29-2021, 09:49 PM
He was also suspended and fined 50K recently, and missed 3 games in COVID protocols after visiting a strip club in Miami.

He had character red flags going into the draft, but Cleveland traded for the #30 pick, and selected him anyway. He was a top 10 talent, but Cleveland was so done, they basically GAVE HIM AWAY, accepting a top 55 protected pick from a team who’s second rounder will be in the low 30s.

No fucking thanks.

Chinook
04-29-2021, 10:28 PM
He's been up and down. But It could've been a pretty interesting speculative buy and perhaps led to a series of later trades. He's basically Lonnie Walker from a different universe in terms of what he does on the court and what he could ultimately contribute to a team.

The Truth #6
04-29-2021, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a hot mess. Low chance it would have worked out here. Probably still should have considered it. But I suppose the team doesn’t need that drama right before preparing for a deep playoff run.

RD2191
04-29-2021, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a hot mess. Low chance it would have worked out here. Probably still should have considered it. But I suppose the team doesn’t need that drama right before preparing for a deep playoff run.
:lol

Degoat
04-29-2021, 10:56 PM
I freaking called it on this guy, spurs need to take chances on guys like him imo... the Cavs have been a mess since lebron James left not surprising the kid got frustrated look at what Kevin love did during a game last week

daslicer
04-29-2021, 11:12 PM
This kid is going to be in the mold of a JR Smith, JR Rider type of player. Unless you have championship team and great leadership presence then he will be useless.

Rocalcio
04-30-2021, 02:38 AM
The guy had one good game, our young players already had many and they’re not as dumb as him. Forbes had 30 last night, you also want him back ?

ragas
04-30-2021, 02:46 AM
The guy had one good game, our young players already had many and they’re not as dumb as him. Forbes had 30 last night, you also want him back ?

Wait... Forbes? So that's why Porter jr. had 50.

Rocalcio
04-30-2021, 03:49 AM
Wait... Forbes? So that's why Porter jr. had 50.

Probably indeed.

exstatic
04-30-2021, 06:24 AM
I freaking called it on this guy, spurs need to take chances on guys like him imo... the Cavs have been a mess since lebron James left not surprising the kid got frustrated look at what Kevin love did during a game last week

Don’t blame it on the Cavs. Kid’s been trouble at every stop. It’s not them, it’s him.

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2021, 06:27 AM
even if spurs get a no.1 pick, u think pop going to give him starters minutes to develop them fast? no...

The Truth #6
04-30-2021, 08:27 AM
even if spurs get a no.1 pick, u think pop going to give him starters minutes to develop them fast? no...

Our two prior #1 picks started immediately. I’m trying to remember their names...Robinson and Duncan, maybe?

Mugen
04-30-2021, 08:55 AM

:lol

R. DeMurre
04-30-2021, 09:20 AM
It was an impressive performance, but I think you have to keep in mind it was a game where 280 points were scored and Porter played 41 minutes. I've actually been more impressed by his assist rates lately, which shows his BB smarts are probably further along than his life smarts at this point. He's had three games with double digit assists this month.

Side note: interesting that he got in trouble at a strip club in Miami. It's a matter of record that he's 20. But it being Florida, I'm sure they'll remain open, doing their thing.

cd98
04-30-2021, 09:31 AM
He's like JR Smith? The same JR Smith the Spurs tried to acquire for Brent Barry that fell through because they didn't get the trade call in time?

Trill Clinton
04-30-2021, 09:31 AM

John B
04-30-2021, 09:33 AM
6’4 SG/SF. Spurs barely play Lonnie, Vassell and you want another?

Sugus
04-30-2021, 09:37 AM
6’4 SG/SF. Spurs barely play Lonnie, Vassell and you want another?

Yeah, but how many times have Lonnie or Vassell thrown food at their teammates & coaching staff, huh? This guy's special......

:downspin:

John B
04-30-2021, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but how many times have Lonnie or Vassell thrown food at their teammates & coaching staff, huh? This guy's special......

:downspin:

I think Lonnie plays 41 minutes and let him the focal point of offense, he does the same. My point, why target another guard? Now if it’s a big, I’d be on a bandwagon.

spurs1990
04-30-2021, 10:23 AM
This kid is going to be in the mold of a JR Smith, JR Rider type of player. Unless you have championship team and great leadership presence then he will be useless.

Smith and Rider for sure. I'd throw in Ricky Davis and Vernon Maxwell as other talented scorers that should've had more stable careers. Max had a couple of stints here during the DRob years. Gregg was an asst the first time and was the GM who signed him in '96. He took a flyer on him, and brought in Stephen Jackson twice. If he made Jax work, could it happen with Porter...why not, I think.

R. DeMurre
04-30-2021, 10:31 AM
I think the JR Smith comparisons are a little too easy... Porter's already had 4 double digit assist games in his second year as an NBA player, with a high of 14. JR Smith never had a double digit assist game during his 16 year career. The behavioral issues might be similar, but Porter's much less of a one dimensional player.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-30-2021, 10:32 AM
I love all of the Monday morning quarterbacks we have in this place. Tell me an organization that's guessed right 100% of the time. The Spurs do more with less than any organization in sports.

Too bad we're not the Lakers where we can have a sh!tty front office yet everyone still clamors to play in that city.

daslicer
04-30-2021, 11:53 AM
Smith and Rider for sure. I'd throw in Ricky Davis and Vernon Maxwell as other talented scorers that should've had more stable careers. Max had a couple of stints here during the DRob years. Gregg was an asst the first time and was the GM who signed him in '96. He took a flyer on him, and brought in Stephen Jackson twice. If he made Jax work, could it happen with Porter...why not, I think.

Jax had issues twice while he was with the Spurs. There is a reason why he could not last long term in SA. Like I said before unless you have a championship team these type of players are useless since they will not get in line unless they are on a title team.

daslicer
04-30-2021, 11:55 AM
I think the JR Smith comparisons are a little too easy... Porter's already had 4 double digit assist games in his second year as an NBA player, with a high of 14. JR Smith never had a double digit assist game during his 16 year career. The behavioral issues might be similar, but Porter's much less of a one dimensional player.

It's all about behavior for me and this kid's behavior is that of a malcontent. I'm not expecting the average NBA player to be a choir boy but this kid has had documented issues in the past. His talent is not good enough to override those issues in my eyes.

exstatic
04-30-2021, 01:56 PM
I watched the Spurs play the RGV team sponsored by the Rockets in the Gubble. KPJ, went off early, like 10-12 points. The Spurs coach put Trey Jones on him. End of story. He fucking stoned him.

spurs1990
04-30-2021, 02:12 PM
Porter is too young to stamp his projection. Granted it's been very poor in just one year but being 20 we may be able to give him a break. Maybe he can be another Ron Artest and have league wide accolades while being just a bit screwy. Artest was another guy the Spurs tried to get around 2001, 2002. Remember he won two games for Sacramento against that dominant '06 Spurs team in the first round.

I may be influenced by the boxscore last night. His 9 three's are probably more than DeRozan has hit all season.

Spurtacular
04-30-2021, 02:26 PM
We really couldn't part ways with Kevin Porter Jr. for a protected top 55 second round pick? I don't get it...

KPJ went for 50 today. A feat that none of the big 4 young have ever done (White, Murray, KJ, and White).

SA isn't exactly a top landing spot for free agents.

Damn you need some heroes, dude.

Ken Norman (18.1 ppg), Danny Manning (16.7 ppg), Benoit Benjamin (16.4 ppg), and Charles Smith (16.1 ppg) were a bigger young Big 4.
And that 88-89 Clippers team went 21-61.

exstatic
04-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Porter is too young to stamp his projection. Granted it's been very poor in just one year but being 20 we may be able to give him a break. Maybe he can be another Ron Artest and have league wide accolades while being just a bit screwy. Artest was another guy the Spurs tried to get around 2001, 2002. Remember he won two games for Sacramento against that dominant '06 Spurs team in the first round.

I may be influenced by the boxscore last night. His 9 three's are probably more than DeRozan has hit all season.

Attest had a few screws loose, but he never had problems with teammates. KPJ has.

Some guys are just bad guys, and they don’t need to get older for you to figure that out.

Dejounte
04-30-2021, 06:34 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1388257364877402112?s=19

stephen jackson
05-02-2021, 01:05 PM
Chemistry >winning

culture.

exstatic
05-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Chemistry >winning

culture.

Our talent margin is so thin that one idiot could ruin the locker room.