PDA

View Full Version : Best series of all time rehash

SpursforSix
05-10-2021, 11:39 AM
In the last year, I've rewatched Sopranos, the Wire, and BB. The Sopranos felt a little dated in how the series was shot and written. Still great but right now, I've got:

1) BB
2) The Wire
3) The Sopranos

Not sure where the rest of my top 5 winds up. Better Call Saul, Bosch, Downton Abbey probably get to top 6 in some order. About to rewatch DA.
Sherlock was also great but it was almost like watching several individual movies.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-10-2021, 12:30 PM
In the last year, I've rewatched Sopranos, the Wire, and BB. The Sopranos felt a little dated in how the series was shot and written. Still great but right now, I've got:

1) BB
2) The Wire
3) The Sopranos

Not sure where the rest of my top 5 winds up. Better Call Saul, Bosch, Downton Abbey probably get to top 6 in some order. About to rewatch DA.
Sherlock was also great but it was almost like watching several individual movies.

Recently binged Sopranos. Def deserves praise for trail blazing but overall way inferior to modern shows imo. Almost every character outside of Paulie and Sylv is easily hateable, hearing Tony struggle to breathe for 30-40 hours gets a little annoying, and the ending blew
Tony was a piece of shit give us some closure of him getting capped at least haha

BB did not fall down that trap at least

lefty
05-10-2021, 01:08 PM
DA is atually good, but the mother freaks me out, she's always smiling lol

SpursforSix
05-10-2021, 01:10 PM
Recently binged Sopranos. Def deserves praise for trail blazing but overall way inferior to modern shows imo. Almost every character outside of Paulie and Sylv is easily hateable, hearing Tony struggle to breathe for 30-40 hours gets a little annoying, and the ending blew
Tony was a piece of shit give us some closure of him getting capped at least haha

Yeah...originally, I never noticed how much you hear Tony breathing until this last binge.
Some other negatives that didn't really bother me when it was week to week but now were boring to me:

1) all the sessions with Melfi. Including her sessions with her psychiatrist.
2) all the dreams and dream episodes
3) fucking punk as AJ
4) Tony's sister

There's probably a few more.

I found myself just wanting to get to the gangster shit.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-10-2021, 01:31 PM
Yeah...originally, I never noticed how much you hear Tony breathing until this last binge.
Some other negatives that didn't really bother me when it was week to week but now were boring to me:

3) fucking punk as AJ
4) Tony's sister

yeah melfi should have been phased out sooner instead they doubled down. Like her rape scene, totally unnecessary
the dreams and dream episodes are kinda what I respect, it's when HBO began getting artsy with television.
Yeah tonys' son became unrealistically hateable...trying to kill his uncle etc, shit was weird and cringey

spurraider21
05-10-2021, 01:35 PM

1) BB
2) The Wire
3) The Sopranos

dont remember exactly how i ranked it here last time, but i probably had those 3 + thrones in my top 4. pretty sure i had BB #1 as well

spurraider21
05-10-2021, 01:37 PM

3) fucking punk as AJ
4) Tony's sister

the dreams always bored me

and AJ was a worthless character. its not that he was unlikeable, he was just poorly written and never contributed anything to the show. his random "what is even the point of life" phase was really cringey to watch

i like Milfi's scene. and janice is a good example of a good character that is fun to hate.

spurraider21
05-10-2021, 01:41 PM
i dont mind unlikeable characters. very different from bad/worthless characters.

Spurtacular
05-10-2021, 02:34 PM
'The Wire' is the most over-rated show by ST posters, tbh.

Adam Lambert
05-10-2021, 02:50 PM
Still The Wire for me on the strength of its social commentary. But it's close.

Recently finished my 4th watch and I think Season 1 might be my top season now. Just a perfect season of TV.

Reck
05-10-2021, 02:51 PM
What do you mean how it was written and shot?

Show might be dated in terms of the times but it still has top notch writing. The Sopranos was never a show about glamorous or wide shots so dont know what you mean. it's a visceral show. The Wire, Oz is the same way.

SpursforSix
05-10-2021, 03:01 PM
What do you mean how it was written and shot?

Show might be dated in terms of the times but it still has top notch writing. The Sopranos was never a show about glamorous or wide shots so dont know what you mean. it's a visceral show. The Wire, Oz is the same way.

As to the writing, a lot of the interactions between the characters seem pretty cheesy now. Especially with the interactions between Tony and his family.
And I don't know enough about cinematography to precisely define what I mean with the shooting. But it looks more like a network show than I remembered. As I said, it just seems dated. Which I guess isn't crazy in that it's over 20 years old. But I didn't notice the same when watching BB or The Wire.

baseline bum
05-10-2021, 03:06 PM

Tony was taken out by Members Only Guy while Meadow, Tony's guardian angel, was trying to parallel park instead of sitting in the spot that would have blocked Members Only Guy from having a clear shot at Tony. Patsy Parisi was the only guy with beef against Tony who knew Tony would be at Holsten's since his son was banging Meadow. Patsy paid Members Only Guy to kill Tony. Right as Meadow walked in the door, the bell rang, it flashed to Tony's view which had gone all black because he's killed instantly when Members Only Guy came out of the toilet with more than just his dick in his hand.

DMC
05-10-2021, 03:10 PM

James Gandofini gained so much weight during that series, no doubt ushered him to his early demise. When he drops that AR on his belly in the later episode and it just looks like jello, you knew he was a short timer.

DMC
05-10-2021, 03:11 PM
As to the writing, a lot of the interactions between the characters seem pretty cheesy now. Especially with the interactions between Tony and his family.
And I don't know enough about cinematography to precisely define what I mean with the shooting. But it looks more like a network show than I remembered. As I said, it just seems dated. Which I guess isn't crazy in that it's over 20 years old. But I didn't notice the same when watching BB or The Wire.

We don't got no fuckin' capicola!

DMC
05-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Never saw The Wire. Is that the one about Baltimore?

Neo.
05-10-2021, 03:13 PM
1) BB
2) The Wire
3) The Sopranos

it pretty much seems like these are the consensus top 3 in any order, just a matter of personal preference (or whichever one you watched first)

BCS imo is arguably better than BB, but the issue is that it wouldnt exist without BB. but i personally think i actually have enjoyed watching it more.

Millennial_Messiah
05-10-2021, 03:18 PM
The Messengers
How to Get Away with Murder

Adam Lambert
05-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Better Call Saul doesn't have anywhere close to the rewatchability of Breaking Bad. I love BCS but I don't know if it's something I'll be that likely to revisit.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-10-2021, 03:51 PM
Tony was taken out by Members Only Guy while Meadow, Tony's guardian angel, was trying to parallel park instead of sitting in the spot that would have blocked Members Only Guy from having a clear shot at Tony. Patsy Parisi was the only guy with beef against Tony who knew Tony would be at Holsten's since his son was banging Meadow. Patsy paid Members Only Guy to kill Tony. Right as Meadow walked in the door, the bell rang, it flashed to Tony's view which had gone all black because he's killed instantly when Members Only Guy came out of the toilet with more than just his dick in his hand.

yeah idk. They left it too open to interpretation for my tastes

Spurtacular
05-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Still The Wire for me on the strength of its social commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atlys9at1uM&ab_channel=LeChevalQueJaime

Reck
05-10-2021, 04:25 PM

I view it a bit differently. Patsy was always a little be of a wimp faggot so I doubt he had the balls to order the hit. Specially since at that point he was really in with the family.

Instead I think it was a hit put on by one of Phil's guy that was still yet to be cancel out. A rogue type hit or ill timed miscommunicated hit if you will.

baseline bum
05-10-2021, 04:33 PM
I view it a bit differently. Patsy was always a little be of a wimp faggot so I doubt he had the balls to order the hit. Specially since at that point he was really in with the family.

Instead I think it was a hit put on by one of Phil's guy that was still yet to be cancel out. A rogue type hit or ill timed miscommunicated hit if you will.

Patsy wasn't in on the Soprano family. He fucking hated the Sopranos. Go watch that scene in Tony's living room in the last episode and the look Patsy gives Tony when he refills his glass. Tony's crew had been wiped out of anyone loyal to him with Sil on life support and Chris and Bobby in the ground, so perfect time for Patsy to avenge his brother's murder. And none of Phil's crew knew where Tony was, as did none of Tony's crew other than Patsy. Patsy had him killed and took over the DiMeo family.

EDIT: Here's the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLZV909EfVI

baseline bum
05-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Plus we know Patsy already planned on killing Tony, but then chickened out and just pissed in his pool instead earlier in the series. But that was back when Tony was in a much stronger position and Patsy was a nobody.

baseline bum
05-10-2021, 04:58 PM
yeah idk. They left it too open to interpretation for my tastes

1. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (random lady comes in)
2. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (old man in USA hat comes in)
3. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (Carmella comes in)
4. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (Members Only Guy comes in, followed by AJ not too far behind)

Members Only Guy goes to men's room with a 100% clear line of sight straight to Tony since Meadow isn't sitting there. Meadow runs across the street an into Holsten's

5. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, then pitch black (Meadow comes in)

I don't see how anyone can interpret that as anything other than Members Only Guy pulling a Michael Corleone on Tony. They get that Godfather reference into the last scene as well as the Goodfellas reference that you never see it coming when you're murdered (which Bobby also brought up in the episode they were on the boat going to Canada).

I don't see what's ambiguous about that ending. It's a crystal clear pattern

Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door

Except in the fifth time Tony's view is black because he's killed instantly by Members Only Guy who could just walk straight up to him and blow his brains out since the seat next to Tony is empty.

It's easily my favorite ending I have seen to any series.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-10-2021, 05:27 PM
1. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (random lady comes in)
2. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (old man in USA hat comes in)
3. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (Carmella comes in)
4. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (Members Only Guy comes in, followed by AJ not too far behind)

Members Only Guy goes to men's room with a 100% clear line of sight straight to Tony since Meadow isn't sitting there. Meadow runs across the street an into Holsten's

5. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, then pitch black (Meadow comes in)

I don't see how anyone can interpret that as anything other than Members Only Guy pulling a Michael Corleone on Tony. They get that Godfather reference into the last scene as well as the Goodfellas reference that you never see it coming when you're murdered (which Bobby also brought up in the episode they were on the boat going to Canada).

I don't see what's ambiguous about that ending. It's a crystal clear pattern

Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door

Except in the fifth time Tony's view is black because he's killed instantly by Members Only Guy who could just walk straight up to him and blow his brains out since the seat next to Tony is empty.

It's easily my favorite ending I have seen to any series.

Yeah the godfather thing was on the nose. Just didn't provide satisfying closure for me. After his selfish detestable acts, I wanted to see him fall not have it fade to black from his pov.

I respect its efforts tho, just didn't do it for me

Neo.
05-10-2021, 06:36 PM
also surprised no one has mentioned mad men yet

maybe not the goat, but probably my personal favorite and definitely among the greatest ever

FrostKing
05-10-2021, 08:25 PM
I have not watched the before mentioned. My favorite are Mr.Robot and Last Kingdom.

Seinfeld, Friends and Community

Cheers and Office are also great

Down Under
05-10-2021, 09:59 PM

1) BB
2) The Wire
3) The Sopranos

Great List. Don't know if it counts, as it's more of an anthology, but Season 1 of True Detective is pretty awesome also.

SpursforSix
05-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Great List. Don't know if it counts, as it's more of an anthology, but Season 1 of True Detective is pretty awesome also.

Yeah...that first season of True Detective is one of the best seasons of any series. But Season 2 sucked and Season 3 was just OK. Not enough to qualify in a top 10 list.

I also thought of including Sherlock but it didn't feel right because of the format. It'd be in my top 5 or 6 though.

SpursforSix
05-11-2021, 09:22 AM
also surprised no one has mentioned mad men yet

maybe not the goat, but probably my personal favorite and definitely among the greatest ever

Yeah...Mad Men is up there for sure. It's somewhere between 4 and 6 for me.

spurraider21
05-11-2021, 03:36 PM
yeah Mad Men would be in my top 5 as well

Season 1 of True Detective was great. didnt even make it through season 2.

season 1 of mr robot was fun. imo the show got worse and worse with each season. however the plot twist in season 2 was an amazing moment

first half of Dexter was top notch. 2nd half was pretty dull

leemajors
05-11-2021, 03:44 PM
I don't know if it is in my top 5, but Luther was really good. Mad Men is up there for me too.

Spurtacular
05-11-2021, 11:11 PM
Is realism a parameter? Because nobody's really mentioning the comedies.

SpursforSix
05-12-2021, 09:12 AM
Is realism a parameter? Because nobody's really mentioning the comedies.

I didn’t really specify but it’s usually implied that we’re talking about dramas unless specified.

SpursforSix
05-12-2021, 09:16 AM
I don't know if it is in my top 5, but Luther was really good. Mad Men is up there for me too.

Luther is great. Hadn’t really considered it. Maybe because of the relatively few seasons compared to the rest.

leemajors
05-12-2021, 09:41 AM
Luther is great. Hadn’t really considered it. Maybe because of the relatively few seasons compared to the rest.

True, but 5 seasons only 20 eps

Adam Lambert
05-12-2021, 04:23 PM
As far as a completed vision, I can't put Lost or Game of Thrones in my top tier. But in terms of shows that I most enjoyed watching on their run? Shows that I couldn't wait to see the next episode or read episode recaps for? Not sure anything else compares. Sucks that they had crappy endings and didn't follow through on their potential.

Spurtacular
05-12-2021, 09:04 PM
I didn’t really specify but it’s usually implied that we’re talking about dramas unless specified.

Then I don't have much problem with what's being put forth other than to quintuple down on 'The Wire' being the most over-rated show on ST by far.
It's as if all the neckbeards here would never forgive themselves if they didn't appease their white guilt.

ChumpDumper
05-14-2021, 09:19 AM
Don't derp up this thread, derp. Just relax for once.

LaMarcus Bryant
05-14-2021, 11:21 AM
Everything that is the best thing ever is always called overrated these days bc of the reddit TIL type internet shit

For my money I've still not seen anything supersede the wire. Done 3 or so full rewatches. I can see myself watching all of it again some time in the future.

Spurtacular
05-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Don't derp up this thread, derp. Just relax for once.

You're the one derping it up with stupid shit like this.

Neo.
05-14-2021, 06:22 PM
here we go again :rolleyes

Thread
06-03-2021, 06:14 AM
TUBI stream has brought back the series "Family" from 1976. Loved this is in the circa and it's a fine transfer; uncut, with a few 1 minute commercials during each episode. All 5 seasons/83 episodes are right there.

Also, the H&I network on cable is showing "Hill Street Blues" and are about to restart from Season One within the next week. (restarts tonight, early Friday morning with Episode 1.)

HEADS UP!!!