PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown in the dumps

Vashner
11-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Man this is said 0-5 start for Knicks but look what Brown said in nba.com

Before the game, Brown said he had a tough time dealing with the other slow starts in his career.

"I wanted to kill myself," he said, "but there were no bullets."

I think that's a new low lol.

mike detroit
11-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I appreciate what he did for the pistons, but yeah, this is kind of funny.

JamStone
11-12-2005, 02:10 PM
You would think he could afford bullets with the $10 million a year he's making ...

jochhejaam
11-13-2005, 10:03 AM
http://www.freep.com/photos/2005/pistons0623/03pistons0623.jpg
"I'm coaching the #!*#&! Knicks! What was I thinking"?

z0sa
11-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Man, I feel sorry for Brown cause it seems the Knicks have had good chances at winning probably 3 out of their first five games and they just couldnt complete. But a season is long... and Curry is only going to get better. Curry imo is gonna be among the league's elite centers in a year or two.

jochhejaam
11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Man, I feel sorry for Brown cause it seems the Knicks have had good chances at winning probably 3 out of their first five games and they just couldnt complete. But a season is long... and Curry is only going to get better. Curry imo is gonna be among the league's elite centers in a year or two.
Your compassion is admirable but you probably would have a tougher time feeling that way had your coach had mentioned in the middle of the season, as Larry did, that "coaching the Knicks has always been my dream job" and then getting involved in a much publisized job interview for the Cavs GM job during his teams playoff run.
On top of that crapola he got 7 million from us for not coaching this year and an additional 10 milllion per season from the Knicks.
I have no sorrowful feelings for Brown nor do I wish him any measure of success with the Knicks
I wish him good physical health but it ends there. :)

boutons
11-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Looks like Larry can pop a champagne cork in Sacramento, Knicks +11 with 3:20 left.

Pistons < Spurs
11-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Looks like Larry can pop a champagne cork in Sacramento, Knicks +11 with 3:20 left.

1:06 left....only down by 6!! C'mon Sac

boutons
11-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Malik played the crunch minutes.

Spurs06
11-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Knicks won 105 - 95

mavsfan1000
11-14-2005, 12:25 AM
fire rick adleman. He has lost control of this team.

z0sa
11-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Your compassion is admirable but you probably would have a tougher time feeling that way had your coach had mentioned in the middle of the season, as Larry did, that "coaching the Knicks has always been my dream job" and then getting involved in a much publisized job interview for the Cavs GM job during his teams playoff run.
On top of that crapola he got 7 million from us for not coaching this year and an additional 10 milllion per season from the Knicks.
I have no sorrowful feelings for Brown nor do I wish him any measure of success with the Knicks
I wish him good physical health but it ends there. :)

It wasn't compassion; I like the knicks even if you don't, I think they are a good team that, if they played the right way, could have a 50 win season, although I dont see that happening this year.

timvp
11-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Don't be fooled -- Larry Brown loves losing. It's winning that makes him nervous and looking for his next job.

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Yep, this is an LB wet dream right now. He's got his players' undivided attention.

Horry For 3!
11-14-2005, 04:21 AM
Knicks got their first win of the season. Kings are horrible right now.

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Larry is a friend to the Spurs.

boutons
11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
The New York Times
November 14, 2005

Knicks 105, Kings 95

Mercifully, the Knicks and Brown Win One
By HOWARD BECK

SACRAMENTO, Nov. 13 - The Knicks were teetering on the edge of their first victory of the season, but still perilously close to their sixth straight loss, when their coach's passion spilled over a bit. Another call had gone against them, and Coach Larry Brown, sensing the worst could happen again, bellowed at the referee Luis Grillo.

"That's not fair!" Brown said. "These kids are working their tails off!"

For the first time since Brown took the team's reins, the Knicks - the kids, the veterans, all of them - displayed a grit and passion worthy of their Hall of Fame coach.

They took a 19-point lead Sunday evening - their biggest of the season - absorbed the best hits the Sacramento Kings could deliver, and then, finally, mercifully, the Knicks held on for a 105-95 victory at Arco Arena. They headed to Salt Lake City late Sunday night with a 1-5 record, and a mood that was considerably brighter than their winning percentage.

After the final buzzer, the Knicks gathered at center court, whooped and bounced together, then left the court with smiles - also a season first.

"It feels good to get a win; this is just a start," said Jamal Crawford, who scored three key baskets down the stretch to hold off the Kings. "But now all that pressure's off. Now we can just concentrate on playing."

After nearly two weeks of despair and confusion, the Knicks at last delivered Brown his first victory as their coach. It took every lesson he had taught them in the past few weeks, but particularly those of the past few days - the ones that came from giving away big leads in Portland and to Golden State.

The Knicks absorbed a big blow in the second quarter, when the Kings knocked the lead from 19 points to 11, another in the third (when the Kings pulled within 6) and finally in the fourth (when the Kings cut an 18-point deficit to 6). This time, they did not waver or wilt.

"We were a lot more patient, we settled down and we made shots," Stephon Marbury said. "I think guys now can not only relax, but just play basketball. Not winning, that was kind of tough. We've got you all writing about us every day, talking about how we're going to go 0-9. You've got to hear about it from your family."

Six Knicks scored in double figures, led by the rookie Channing Frye, who had 19 points. Marbury, whose play has been endlessly scrutinized, finished with 17 points and 7 assists. Crawford and Eddy Curry had 16 points each. Trevor Ariza had 13 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists.

Peja Stojakovic scored 31 points for the struggling Kings, who fell to 2-5.

"New York's a good ball club - they've got good players," said Kings guard Jason Hart. "But it's frustrating that we allowed them to get their first win."

As much time as Brown spends promoting the Knicks' young core, he could not have been more pleased with the second unit's play in the second quarter. The veteran Malik Rose anchored a unit of 20-somethings - Frye, Crawford, Ariza and Nate Robinson - as they pushed the lead to 19.

"We grew up a lot," Brown said. "I'm proud of the way they played."

Curry, Quentin Richardson, Marbury and Frye all got rolling early, and the Knicks had a 13-point lead before the first quarter was over. Ariza closed the period with a buzzer-beating 28-footer. Crawford's 3-pointer early in the second quarter gave the Knicks a 19-point lead.

For the first time in recent memory, all of the boos in the building were directed at the Knicks' opponent.

Robinson forced two Kings turnovers to open the fourth quarter, and the Knicks converted both, with a Crawford 3-pointer and a Robinson 15-footer in transition. The lead was back to 18 points, although there were still some anxious moments.

"You definitely felt it, like here we go again," Crawford said. "But we weren't going to let it happen this time."

REBOUNDS

In what has become an almost-daily routine, Coach Larry Brown again reshuffled his roster, sending Maurice Taylor and Penny Hardaway to the inactive list, and activating Jackie Butler and Matt Barnes. Hardaway, who was active for only one game, said he did not mind the move. "I think it's best for the team," said Hardaway, who disclosed that he has been bothered by tendinitis in his right knee. "I don't want to continue to play in pain." Regarding his disappearing role, Hardaway said, "I'm totally team this year. I have no ego." ...Brown has praised Butler's skills and work ethic, and with Jerome James hurt, he wanted another center available. "With eight or nine guys that are playing either power forward or center, you're always going to have a decision to make. Unfortunately, it has to be game to game," he said. ... Barnes had about 40 friends and family members present Sunday, and he said he appreciated Brown's decision to put him in the starting lineup. Barnes was having a solid season playing for his hometown team, but the Kings sent him to Philadelphia as part of the Chris Webber trade in February. He left as a free agent. "It was very tough," Barnes said. "For me, playing here and playing well and then going to Philly and not playing was really disappointing. Not only leaving my hometown, but going to a team where I didn't get a chance to play."

* Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

====================

great gesture by Larry to activate Matt for the Knicks' single visit to Sac AND to start him.

(but Matt played only 13 minutes, so it really was a gesture rather than to help the team.)

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Best story out of that game:

[Jason] Hart dived into the Knicks' bench to save a loose ball midway through the second quarter -- and Malik Rose got a technical foul for holding onto Hart, preventing him from running back upcourt.

:lol

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/11/13/knicks.kings.ap/index.html

boutons
11-14-2005, 02:41 PM
:lol

Former Spurs "stick" together!

He should have also pulled Jason's jersey over Jason's head.