PDA

View Full Version : Gary Payton could announce as early as Monday

IcemanCometh
07-06-2003, 03:42 PM
That he will be joining the Lakers along with Karl Malone. Who knew they were such pals. They are willing to go together somewhere as a package to go and try to win a ring, Portland and Miami are reputed to also be in the mix.

Whottt
07-06-2003, 03:44 PM
In a way doesn't this kind of help the Spurs chances of landing one of the big 3?

I mean it isn't gonna be any easier for those guys to win a title against that Laker monster if they stay with their own teams. They have a much better chance if they come to SA.

MannyIsGod
07-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Hopefully the spurs can get better. A Spurs/Lakers super rivalry might just be what the leauge needs.

adidas11
07-06-2003, 04:15 PM
If this move goes down, I will be very satisfied with our off-season production. The only thing that would make me happier would be to switch Malone for PJ Brown. But as I've said before, beggars can't be choosy. :)

SpursRock50
07-06-2003, 04:48 PM
notice how they just threw this first part in there?

yeah..this is a done deal :rolleyes :

www.charleston.net/storie...kers.shtml (http://www.charleston.net/stories/070603/spo_06lakers.shtml)

Payton has given no indication he would accept the mid-level exception as a starting point on a multi-year deal, considered below market value for a player who made $12.6 million last season and is playing as if in the prime of his career.

But if the Lakers were to come to an agreement with Payton -- free agents may not sign contracts until July 16 -- he would represent the final piece of what would be the Lakers' most productive off-season since 1996, the summer Jerry West signed O'Neal and traded for Kobe Bryant.

Payton still wants his $$ and what would LA have to send the Bucks that would equal salary and that the Bucks would want?

adidas11
07-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Everything is speculation, until it actually happens, SpursRock. Just sit back and enjoy it! :)

ducks
07-06-2003, 05:35 PM
GP agent is wanting the bucks to do a sign and trade. GP WANTS THE MONEY!!!! Who would the lakers send back? Picks? Shaq LOL

IcemanCometh
07-06-2003, 05:39 PM
His agent was the money and the comission, who knows what GP is willing to do.

SequSpur
07-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Sign and trade? Payton is homeless and not really drawing big $$$. He will be lucky to make 5 mill a year.

Archie
07-06-2003, 08:33 PM
I would be very surprised to see Payton give up $4+ mil per season.

IcemanCometh
07-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Agent: Payton won't be returning to Milwaukee

The agent for Gary Payton said Sunday that the All-Star guard has narrowed his list of prospective employers for next season to three teams, headlined by the Los Angeles Lakers.

It's a list that does not include the Milwaukee Bucks, according to agent Aaron Goodwin, even though the Bucks can outbid anyone for the 34-year-old free agent.

Amid ongoing talks with Lakers officials, who are limited to offering Payton a starting salary of just under $5 million, Goodwin told ESPN.com that the recently dethroned champions are "absolutely" Payton's preference. The only other teams Payton will consider, according to Goodwin, are Portland and Miami.

The Lakers also are said to be the first choice of Utah forward Karl Malone, who is reportedly waiting to see if L.A. lands Payton before agreeing to sign for a mere $1.5 million next season. That's the most the over-the-cap Lakers can offer Malone if they use their $4.9 million salary-cap exception on Payton.

"Gary is looking at teams he can excel with," said Goodwin, who expects a firm decision from Payton within the next day or two.

Asked specifically about Milwaukee, Goodwin said: "He won't be back, no."

No team can sign a free agent until July 16, but committing to join the Lakers would enable Payton -- in Goodwin's words -- "to be the first guy to put his money where his mouth is and take less to play for a championship."

In Payton's case, signing with the Lakers would represent a pay cut of more than $7 million from his $12.6 million salary earned last season with Seattle and Milwaukee.

Malone would then be looking at a pay cut of nearly $18 million if he elects to leave the Jazz for Hollywood -- from $19.3 million last season to the $1.5 million figure.

Malone's willingness to accept such a drastic reduction, however, would be more understandable if Utah is only offering him a starting salary of $5-$6 million to stay, as some insiders suggest. It's unlikely Malone would be willing to return to the Jazz for less than the $8 million earned by John Stockton in his final season.

Payton turns 35 on July 23; Malone turns 40 the following day. Although the idea that both could fit into the Lakers' limited budget sounds like a long shot, the upside to playing in L.A. at drastically reduced rates is that both would have a shot at the championship ring neither has won … along with the shared opportunity to help restore the Lakers to glory.

Two teams on Payton's list -- the Lakers and Miami -- put the Bucks at risk for losing Payton without compensation, after Milwaukee acquired the nine-time All-Star at mid-season in a stunning trade for franchise pillar Ray Allen.

A costly mistake by Miami guard Anthony Carter early last week has apparently given Miami an estimated $11 million in salary-cap room to pursue free agents, instead of an expected $7 million. Carter and his representatives failed to notify the Heat by June 30 that he would invoke the final year left on his contract, at a salary of $4.1 million.

It remains to be seen, however, whether Heat coach Pat Riley would pursue a veteran like Payton or focus on the best young prospects on the open market, such as Golden State point guard Gilbert Arenas or Los Angeles Clippers center Michael Olowokandi. It's believed that the Heat is trying to infuse their roster with youth and athleticism. That's why center Alonzo Mourning, in another comeback attempt from his longstanding kidney problesm, is expected is sign with Dallas or another title contender.

The Bucks would undoubtedly prefer to strike a sign-and-trade arrangement with Payton rather than lose him for nothing, but the Lakers have no discernible assets to offer in a trade outside stars Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

Portland, by contrast, has plenty of assets to interest Milwaukee or any team -- Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells and Zach Randolph, to name three -- but Payton would have to reach an agreement to sign with the Trail Blazers and work with the Bucks to construct a trade that satisfies both parties.

yeesh (http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1577421.html)

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 10:24 AM
It sucks how the Lakers can attract bluechippers like Kobe Bryant or superstar free agents like Shaq or perennial All-Stars like Payton and Malone, yet the Spurs are not a lock to sign a star with max money available coming off a championship.

Oh, well. We'll see what happens.

:cooldevil

MI21
07-07-2003, 11:34 AM
I think it fucked that the One Year the Spurs have the money to add significant talent to an already great team, that LA can potentiall add as good, or better talent, for Less than the NBA Average Salary.

It's fucked.

adidas11
07-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Quote: "I think it fucked that the One Year the Spurs have the money to add significant talent to an already great team, that LA can potentiall add as good, or better talent, for Less than the NBA Average Salary.

It's fucked. "

It's tough, but the Lakers are a high profile team, and therefore will have an advantage in a situation like this. Sort of like the Yankees in baseball, or Real Madrid in soccer (Spain)

MI21
07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Unfortunatly that's the way it is.

But we have a salary cap in basketball to prevent these sorts of thing..:lol

At least, thats what i thought it was for.

(Spanish League and MLB have no Salary Cap's i think, not sure?)

adidas11
07-07-2003, 01:34 PM
You're correct M121. What I am referring to though, is that players will always want to join a team that has more pedigree, more tradition. For example, besides the fact that the Yankees have money out the wahoo to spend on players, playing for the Yankees also happens to be a lot of big league players childhood dreams.

Although not to the same extent, playing for the Lakers in the NBA has somewhat of the same effect. Of course, money always comes into play, but I remember a quote by Kendall Gill, when the Lakers were pursuing him a couple of years ago. A reporter asked him about his thoughts on playing for LA, and he responded "Of course! It's the Lakers! That's something that you HAVE to consider!" or something to that effect. Not entirely fair, but that's how life in sports is sometimes.

Archie
07-07-2003, 01:40 PM
What now is Ghost complaining about? Oh, the Spurs can't lure stud free agents such as Samaki Walker like LA can?

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Archie, don't be a dumb @ss.

The Lakers have lured plyers like Shaq O'Neal to their stable. The Spurs have lured Danny Ferry to theirs.

Next.

Archie
07-07-2003, 02:19 PM
The best free agent they've brought in during their recent title run has been...Samaki Walker.

The Spurs have gotten TD to re-sign twice.

Archie
07-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Of course, wtf are you complaining about this when you don't want them to pursue certain superstars because of 'needs'?

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Who cares if they haven't gotten the big free agents to sign during their title run?

They were winning titles weren't they?

Now that they didn't win, we hear Payton and Malone are going to LA.

Please remind me of the latest and greatest Spurs free agent acquisition.

<sound of crickets>

adidas11
07-07-2003, 02:32 PM
How about Bruce Bowen? :lol :rollin

Archie
07-07-2003, 02:34 PM
So now this rumor of Payton giving up $5 mil a season is fact?

Funny how we hear about the Spurs using their max cap flexibility to make a run at a superstar like Jason Kidd...and you complain. Find some consistency, 'fool'.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 02:57 PM
The consistency is thta I never wanted the Holt-ing Pattern, I always wanted Payton over Kidd, and I defintely want a big man to replace Robinson.

Oh and I always told you that cap space does not guarantee superstar signings, champ.

kohai
07-07-2003, 02:58 PM
How about Bruce Bowen?

Fans of teams that sign Samaki Walker probably shouldn't laugh at our 2 time 2nd Team All NBA defense, league 3 point leading shooter, Adidas.

Your house is glass.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 03:01 PM
kohai, Shaq O'Neal was a free agent. We signed Chucky Brown.

Next.

Tawnia79
07-07-2003, 03:03 PM
glass house? Please, the Spurs made that same mistake as well... better watch what rocks you throw

Archie
07-07-2003, 03:05 PM
LA didn't sign O'Neal as a free agent while they were capped out and coming off a championship.

LA signed O'Neal after they cleared the cap room to make a run at him when he was a free agent. Just like a certain team has done this summer.

Again you praise other teams for things that you criticize the Spurs like mad for. F'ing clown.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Let's see the Spur sign a superstar than they need and covet first, pal. Until then, I'll cling to fond memories of the almighty Derek Anderson and his remarkable 8-month run with the Spurs.

Archie
07-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the worst case scenario is that the Spurs have the cap flexibility to use on some younger free agents to build up the talent base of the team for future deals. Hopefully that won't entail giving up $7 mil a year to the now middle-aged (by NBA standards) Michael Olowokandi.

Not being able to add a star this summer is something I don't want to see happen, but it's not the end of the world if they don't...though it will be tougher going forward.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Talk about hedging your bet. :rolleyes

You're acting like it's the apocalypse if the Spurs don't come away with a supestar like Kidd in most threads, but now it'll be okay to sign some young, "okay" free agents?

Incredulous.

Archie
07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
I'm telling it like it is. You are the one who whines about the Spurs not pursuing superstar talent when they are capped out and who whines when they pursue superstar talent when they have the cap room. All the while praising other teams who pursue superstar talent no matter their cap situation.

They'd be hard pressed to retain this cap flexibility going forward. If they don't get a star then they could always add a couple of young free agents to use in future deals. I still have no qualms with the Spurs giving themselves the flexibility to add talent via free agency when DRob retired. Complaining about that is fucking stupid. Especially when the real cost was Derek Anderson, an injured Lamond Murray, and Chris Mihm.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 03:29 PM
You're a double-taking, obstinate fool.

Every summer for seven years now, you've been the leader of the NO LIMT push to get a superstar on the Spurs by any means necessary — even during the Holt-ing Pattern.

Don't act like the Spurs conservative, penny-pinching plan to add a superstar this summer was something you were comfortable with.

And don't start acting like coming away with nothing but passed-over, cheap young players is fine and dandy with you now either.

You're willing to throw max money and years at a non-fit like Kidd and assure no cap flexibility for the next half dozen years!!!

I can't believe all the mixed signals you are throwing out here.

You were the one pushing for the trades with the Cavaliers!

You're the one who would sign Kidd right now despite the obvious need for a center!

Come correct.

kohai
07-07-2003, 03:31 PM
glass house? Please, the Spurs made that same mistake as well... better watch what rocks you throw

Yes, but the Lakers made the mistake AFTER they saw what a dud SuckMaki was in SA. :lol :lol :lol :lol

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 03:33 PM
ou're the one who would sign Kidd right now despite the obvious need for a center!

And you want to sign Payton.

Go figure.

And if you think Gary's price for the Spurs would be the midlevel, you are sadly mistaken.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Chump, stop being a little b1tch and read for once.

If it's between Kidd or Payton, it's Payton for reasons I keep repreating for those like you:

• Successful playing off-guard

• Less years

• Less money

• Ability to sign a marginal starting center

Next.

Archie
07-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Give it up, GhostWhiner. You've been exposed for the umpteenth time.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 03:44 PM
If it's between Kidd or Payton

It's not.

Can't you accept reality at all?

Less years

4 versus 6. Whoop de doo.

Less money

Complete BS. Why is Payton's agent leaving the door open to Portland and Miami?

Money. A lot more money.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Learn what "if" means.

2 years is an eternity in the NBA.

So you think Payton won't sign with the Lakers, huh?

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Learn what "if" means.
Learn what "reality" means.

2 years is an eternity in the NBA.
So Payton is 2 eternities older than Kidd. Gotcha.

So you think Payton won't sign with the Lakers, huh?
It's possible, but it's a certainty he won't sign with the Spurs. See the difference?

Jimcs50
07-07-2003, 03:58 PM
WTF are you guys arguing over past FA histories betw LA and SA? WTF cares what has happened in the past, the best two teams the past 5 yrs are SA and LA, both have done well with their rosters and both will do well this offseason.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Chump, do you think Kidd would be a better value and a better fit for the Spurs than Kidd?

Question.

P.S.

Oh, wait. You don't "think." You wait. You report. And react like a fan who will just blindly support whatever goes down. That's the problem here. Why bother posting? Just read what's reported and keep quiet.

Archie
07-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Yeah Ghost it is certainly awful that the Spurs have a shot at signing a Jermaine O'Neal or Jason Kidd outright this summer.

IcemanCometh
07-07-2003, 04:04 PM
i think kidd would be about equal to kidd

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Chump, do you think Kidd would be a better value and a better fit for the Spurs than Kidd?'

I assume you mean Payton.

The answer is yes. I have always thought so.

And the answer completely moot because Payton ain't coming.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Oh, wait. You don't "think." You wait. You report. And react like a fan who will just blindly support whatever goes down. That's the problem here. Why bother posting?

I don't deal in fantasies in the face of cold reality Ghost. That's your department.

Just read what's reported and keep quiet.

Get bent.

Why don't you talk about signing a player who is actually interested in playing for the Spurs?

Question.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 04:14 PM
"i think kidd would be about equal to kidd" — Ice
:lol
IMC, you should proofread on the side.

Yes, I meant Payton vs. Kidd. And Chump, I could insist that O'Neal, Brand, Kidd and Payton aren't coming, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it!

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 04:21 PM
I could insist that O'Neal, Brand, Kidd and Payton aren't coming

O'Neal IS coming, for a visit if nothing else.

Kidd is already visiting here.

Brand is mulling over his offer from the Clips.

Payton ain't coming--not for a visit--not to play.

He's simply off the table. You can now only talk about how we "missed out" on him again if that's what you want. I'm sure you will.

Archie
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Damn. Jason Kidd is in town and Jermaine O'Neal is on his way...and Ghost complains.

Don't drink that whine.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Chump, if you are cool with letting Payton go to the Lakers without even asking him if he'd like to play for us, that's fine. You don't have to comment on that notion then.

Tawnia79
07-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Yes, but the Lakers made the mistake AFTER they saw what a dud SuckMaki was in SA.

Yes, and SA did it after they saw what he did in Dallas

ChumpDumper
07-07-2003, 04:34 PM
I can say whatever the hell I want, Ghost.

You can become try to become a mod if you want to censor people.

Payton is no longer an option.

We can whine about it or we can talk about what the Spurs can do.

Which do you prefer to do?

Question.

Ghost Writer
07-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Chump, the Spurs can talk to Payton if they wanted to.

Stick to regurgitating whatever you read in the newspaper.

Leaving the thinking to the rest of us.