PDA

View Full Version : Did the Spurs make a mistake with Kyle Anderson?

8FOR!3
05-20-2021, 12:18 PM
Typing this on my phone so it won’t be super extensive but obviously Kyle had a career year in pretty much every category. Finally developed a somewhat reliable 36% 3 point shot and he’s taking almost 4 per game. He’s not playing a ton more minutes than in a couple of previous seasons but he’s playing mor aggressively and shooting the ball more. Seems like we could have used that in a wing role this year. What are ya’lls thoughts? Contract year next year right? Would ya’ll want him back at 28-29 years old assuming he further progresses next season?

rjv
05-20-2021, 12:20 PM
kyle has emerged since he left the spurs in that he's no longer the mental midget he was with us-and by that i mean he used to hesitate to shoot too often (very similar to what walker does now).

Chinook
05-20-2021, 12:26 PM
He wanted to leave, and SA wasn't getting enough out of him to force him to stay. He is a testament to the folks who preach patience with young players. He's been in the league four more years than Lonnie and five more than Samanic. At the same time, he showed more even as a sophomore than they have so far. Anderson always had good parts to his game and was irrationally blamed for thing on ST. But you can't invest in guys forever, and if you're good at scouting you're going to have to live with losing some guys who end up being good. Anderson's rise shouldn't prevent the Spurs from being willing to move on from their non-blue chippers. This team can afford to suffer mediocrity even less than the 17-18 club could.

Chomag
05-20-2021, 12:29 PM
Nah, He is better off because his leash was broken.

MultiTroll
05-20-2021, 12:43 PM
I thought he contributed to the Spurs comeback last night.

Certainly not all on Kyle. :lol
But his slow motion jumpers were not falling and his silly moving screen turnover was a momentum changer.
Sadly Popped had to revert to his default Derozan 1990s offense ball so the comeback fell short.

Summary he was and is an average player. Never gonna be a contributor to a Chip unless he's a part time benchie on a stacked team.

rjv
05-20-2021, 12:45 PM
btw, was it just me or did kyle seem to have a huge chip on his shoulder last night?

KingKev
05-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Do not miss. Memphis is probably a better situation for him. Doubt he reaches his potential in SA. Spurs fans think this si the holy grail for guys reaching their potential but the reality is its very black and white. Pop and our system break as many guys as we make. Alot of guys excel after leaving the Spurs, because they find a better place that suits their development.

Fusternino
05-20-2021, 12:52 PM
I always felt the Spurs kept the wrong young forward when choosing between KA and Bertans.

KingKev
05-20-2021, 12:54 PM
I always felt the Spurs kept the wrong young forward when choosing between KA and Bertans.

We actually chose Carrol.

rjv
05-20-2021, 12:57 PM
spurs actually chose morris, who screwed us. morris would have been better than any of them. easily.

John B
05-20-2021, 12:58 PM
btw, was it just me or did kyle seem to have a huge chip on his shoulder last night?
Ex-Spurs always play great against us, a natural way to say, "you guys fucked up." :lol

rjv
05-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Ex-Spurs always play great against us, a natural way to say, "you guys fucked up." :lol

true, but to be fair, i don't think that's unique to the spurs.

KingKev
05-20-2021, 01:00 PM
spurs actually chose morris, who screwed us. morris would have been better than any of them. easily.

Half truth. We could have signed Morris and kept Bertans, but inked Carrol first. Morris would have had us in the playoffs last year if he and Pop saw eye to eye. Or he woulda been the 12 man after his first stint in the dog house.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-20-2021, 01:02 PM
yes we should have drafted jokic

JeffDuncan
05-20-2021, 01:13 PM
yes we should have drafted jokic

Exactly! Or if not, then Joe Harris.

John B
05-20-2021, 01:24 PM
Exactly! Or if not, then Joe Harris.
Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Jordan Clarkson.. the list goes on and on :lol

KobesAchilles
05-20-2021, 01:30 PM
Only by drafting him in the first place

exstatic
05-20-2021, 01:43 PM
kyle has emerged since he left the spurs in that he's no longer the mental midget he was with us-and by that i mean he used to hesitate to shoot too often (very similar to what walker does now).

I watched with two friends, and when he nailed a 3, I told them I fucking hated him because he NEVER shot even the corner 3 without hesitating, or passing it up altogether.

Gibbz
05-20-2021, 02:10 PM
It didn't seem unreasonable to let him walk at the time as he seemed maxed out and a bit of a liability on the offensive end. He's developed into 5x the offensive player he was with SA and is a legitimate two-way piece now. Sucks that we don't have him but it wasn't a massive failure letting him walk. He certainly wasn't great last night.

gambit1990
05-20-2021, 03:50 PM
he honestly looks more comfortable. he plays like he isn't under pressure / a microscope.

Trainwreck2100
05-20-2021, 03:54 PM
no he would have been overpaid for what they could have offered him because they were overloaded in his position at that time

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2021, 03:55 PM
that's what happens when you leave the old senile grandpa and play for a real coach. Happened to everybody who left in the last 3 years basically

MVPCues
05-20-2021, 03:57 PM
You can't play poker backwards.

tbdog
05-20-2021, 04:26 PM
You all made mistake. I said that Anderson was the Spurs best defender outside Leonard, who wasn't playing at the time. Spurs then chose to keep bertans instead to address shooting. Then unfortunately Leonard got traded for DDR who didn't have the D to play along side bertans. They then traded bertans to make room for Morris, and we all know how that went.

K...
05-20-2021, 05:22 PM
Actually i think rudy replaced kyle as glue guy pf. I know bertans got minutes, but i think rudy took the most of the role as glue guy, small ball pf that Kyle would play. Certainly rudy was better then, but not so much now. Spurs avoided two years of Kyle rehabbing so better value. Good luck to Memphis getting the lakers beatdown.

Mr. Body
05-20-2021, 05:40 PM
Yep, a significant mistake. Maybe they should have offered his shirt for sale in the arena shop instead of treating him like a nobody.

B1gduff
05-20-2021, 05:47 PM
not really, he's still the same player as he was in SA, only shooting more 3s.

TD 21
05-20-2021, 06:06 PM
He's a perfect example of how archaic and overrated their player development has become.

The apologists will use his shoulder as an excuse, but plenty of teams have had plenty of minimal - non shooters at least develop into competent ones with modern shot profiles in recent years.

They haven't done it with a single one and it's an organizational failure.

Not to let Murray off the hook, but their allowing DeRozan to play like it's '01 and doing nothing but heaping praise on him while doing so, has inadvertently influenced the former into doing the same.

The Truth #6
05-20-2021, 06:22 PM
https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/grind-city-media/mikecheck-with-shoulder-surgery-behind-him-anderson-still-counts-on-being-right-fit-for-grizz-190424

Same Crack Medical Staff that Fucked Up Gasols feet

heavily contributed to the alienation of Kawhi

Apparently didn't let Kyle get shoulder surgery for something that was fucking with him 3 or 4 years prior to getting it fixed in 2019

You guys suck so much

I don’t know. His shooting form still looked horrendous to me. But that’s a separate issue.

Down Under
05-20-2021, 07:27 PM
It'd be nice to have him now, but his shot got even worse his first 2 seasons in Memphis. Last season looked as though he was just about to be out of the league it was getting so bad. His team defence & quick hands have always been great.

EasyMoney
05-20-2021, 07:29 PM
It was acceptable at the time because $9/yr for his play back in 2018 didn't make sense. Of course. 20/21 version of Kyle makes sense for this contract.

Hey, maybe he's just playing this good for s contract extension?

Gagnrath
05-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Honestly either or both of them would have been a fairly valued asset on this team personally I prefer Bertans because of the better three pointer however it's not particularly a big difference. Burton's being a greater 3-point threat especially on catch and shoot has a little more gravity against defenses for driving Lanes in my opinion however we aren't talking about night and day difference. And I think keldon most likely would have displaced either as a possible starter. What either of them provide is an NBA ready combo forward, which the Spurs desperately need. Gay you could tell had games where he didn't have legs, DeRozen is a 2/3 not a 3/4. I don't disagree with the idea that at this age at this point in his career it makes some sense in some match-ups for him to play at the 4 some but he doesn't feel with contact well enough on either end for it to be natural for him. If the Spurs would have kept Anderson and let Bertans go, you would have seen basically the exact same play out with mealy mouth Morris. In that you have a young player who is unproven as a starter and doesn't have much more than a starter level ceiling, get moved for a veteran that is known to be an above average starter with a level of toughness that is somewhat lacking on the team.

R. DeMurre
05-20-2021, 08:31 PM
These calls are hard to make. I wouldn't have wanted Julius Randle three years ago, but I'd take him now. This is another reason why building through the draft is more difficult these days. Most of the best players have one year of college, and still need a few years of development, and then it's hard to know if they'll stick around. I think the more modern trick might be identifying players in their second, third, or fourth years who still haven't completely blossomed, but might be on the verge. To be honest, Anderson was maddeningly passive and reluctant to shoot when he was with the Spurs-- he's a different player now, but that would've been a hard thing to predict.

Fusternino
05-20-2021, 08:44 PM
You all made mistake. I said that Anderson was the Spurs best defender outside Leonard, who wasn't playing at the time. Spurs then chose to keep bertans instead to address shooting. Then unfortunately Leonard got traded for DDR who didn't have the D to play along side bertans. They then traded bertans to make room for Morris, and we all know how that went.

Yeah, KA is the defensive minded combo 3/4 that has been elusive to the Spurs in the DDR era. He was always great at guarding Durant.

Dejounte
05-20-2021, 08:57 PM
These calls are hard to make. I wouldn't have wanted Julius Randle three years ago, but I'd take him now. This is another reason why building through the draft is more difficult these days. Most of the best players have one year of college, and still need a few years of development, and then it's hard to know if they'll stick around. I think the more modern trick might be identifying players in their second, third, or fourth years who still haven't completely blossomed, but might be on the verge. To be honest, Anderson was maddeningly passive and reluctant to shoot when he was with the Spurs-- he's a different player now, but that would've been a hard thing to predict.

I think that's what they tried to do with Lyles. And now they're trying it with KBD and the guy the Rockets waived.

R. DeMurre
05-20-2021, 09:10 PM
I think that's what they tried to do with Lyles. And now they're trying it with KBD and the guy the Rockets waived.

Yeah, agreed-- it's one of those things that is bound to have a low percentage rate of success, but if you strike gold even just once every five years the payoff is great, and with a somewhat minimum risk involved.

emanueldavidginobili
05-20-2021, 09:27 PM
He was also talking shit last night lmao, he blocked KJ on a FB and was turned around and talked big shit to him I was surprised they didn't T him up.

ElNono
05-21-2021, 12:26 AM
No

DeRozan m8
05-21-2021, 01:49 AM
Couldn't wait for him to leave, can't wait for him to never come back

Ozballer
05-21-2021, 03:07 AM
There are several Anderson's in the current team. As in good, disciplined players that won't set the world on fire. Just good, obedient plug ins. Spurs these days is a team full of plug ins with an outmoded game plan and (un) proven leaders that cannot lead due to lack of skill or leadership qualities or being past their prime or the 3 at the same time. Bottom line, a middle of the road conservative franchise with no true alphas or spark (in the right sense of the word).
In this scenario, an Anderson type player is inconsequential. In fact, 95% of the roster is inconsequential and the coaching style appears out of the Time Tunnel.

poopbox
05-21-2021, 07:11 AM
No because when he was on the spurs his only purpose was to be Pops whipping boy. He is playing better cause he doesn't have a coach who takes him out of the game every time he makes a mistake like Pop did. So he plays his brand of basketball in memphis instead of just playing to not make a mistake like he did in San Antonio. Lonnie is probably destined to do the same when he leaves.

rankingtear
05-21-2021, 07:37 AM
No because when he was on the spurs his only purpose was to be Pops whipping boy. He is playing better cause he doesn't have a coach who takes him out of the game every time he makes a mistake like Pop did. So he plays his brand of basketball in memphis instead of just playing to not make a mistake like he did in San Antonio. Lonnie is probably destined to do the same when he leaves.

Lol he plays exactly the same way.

BillMc
05-21-2021, 07:38 AM
This

CGD
05-21-2021, 08:02 AM
It had come to a natural conclusion for both parties. Happy for him, as I am for others fitting the profile that came before (Joesph, Bertans).

I did find the piece in the game cast about his surgery interesting. Apparently has helped with shooting stroke and handle considerably.

SAGirl
05-21-2021, 09:25 PM
I so want Kyle and the Grizzlies to eliminate GSW. Might be fools gold as its only half time.... I don’t want to jinx though. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Dejounte
05-21-2021, 09:31 PM
They are guarding Steph extremely well. Maybe we need to give DeMar and Murray some slack for having a poor shooting night.

SAGirl
05-21-2021, 09:45 PM
They are guarding Steph extremely well. Maybe we need to give DeMar and Murray some slack for having a poor shooting night.
It would be tremendous if the Grizzlies arrived on the scene so to speak. As much adversity as the Spurs had with both injuries and a super condensed schedule to end the season, the Grizzlies had more. Missing Jackson all but 11 games of the season, he came back super rusty and off with his shooting. Their coach was in mad experimental mode to end the season. Allen a sniper that has started most games for them and shot around 42% on the season from 3 got injured in the stretch when they were trying to secure their 8th seed. Much like the Spurs they lost a few games they should have won bc of the no rest/exhausting condensed schedule. The FO wanting to play rookies and dismissing Dieng (was great for them)... playing combinations for “data accumulation”... It’s possible they might be better rested and whole (which they are finally) than the record indicates. They are going to have to upset GSW at their arena and send them packing to earn credibility, but I so want that to happen. I can’t stand Draymond’s shenanigans and the reffing help they get.

Mr. Body
05-21-2021, 09:49 PM

It was pretty clear at the time that the Spurs were going to miss Kyle Anderson.

spurs10
05-21-2021, 09:55 PM
Go Memphis!

Dejounte
05-21-2021, 10:07 PM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1395939060619874306?s=19

This guy is so good. Goes to show your starting SF doesn't have to be 6'8"+.

timtonymanu
05-21-2021, 10:08 PM

Murray, sure. But Demar has always been shitty when it counts.

Dejounte
05-21-2021, 10:09 PM
Aaaaaand here comes the Warriors.

DMC
05-21-2021, 10:29 PM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1395939060619874306?s=19

This guy is so good. Goes to show your starting SF doesn't have to be 6'8"+.

:lol that ain't the image to support staunch man on man defense. I see a few others in there.

Mr. Body
05-21-2021, 10:35 PM
Reffing in this league is so effing terrible.

Spurs Homer
05-21-2021, 10:54 PM
lolololololololololololololololol

warriors

cjw
05-21-2021, 11:00 PM
If the Warriors had drafted LaMelo (or probably several other guys), they win that game. If they had traded Russell for anything other than Wiggins, they win that game.

Dejounte
05-21-2021, 11:01 PM
https://twitter.com/KOT4Q/status/1395948164277051400?s=19

What happened to Clarke?

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2021, 11:09 PM
Anderson > Murray

rjv
05-21-2021, 11:09 PM
Murray's job on Morant looks that much better now.

Dejounte
05-21-2021, 11:42 PM
Drew, stop drinking a bottle of whiskey before you post, no one can understand what the fuck you're saying. And why are your posts so long, they look like book reports written by a 3rd grader.

Stop trying so hard to get attention on this board. You realize barely anyone is paying attention to you because you write incoherent sentences, right?

Here's what you should be doing instead:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5c805f277eb88c1449f28d18/1610561722234-YIV6UDYWZ746BCLNQJTD/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kNR_l47xiIGHOlEasjHbdS17gQa3H7 8H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLf rh8O1z5QPOohDIaIeljMHgDF5CVlOqpeNLcJ80NK65_fV7S1Uf EbKCHfk2hJAXOgxC7IIqkpVhIIh-0qYp1_BMvoA_Gg2ombBdJUk8Dc7Ch2WAU4tg/mental+health+hotlines.jpg?format=500w

SAGirl
05-21-2021, 11:44 PM
https://twitter.com/KOT4Q/status/1395948164277051400?s=19

What happened to Clarke?
X. Tillman has been better, surprisingly. I think he’s the reason Grizzlies even let Dieng go ... Clarke hasn’t been shooting the 3 well this season and I think him and Tillman haven’t been a good pairing. Clark will need to add more perimeter skills. He was great with JJJ last season (who is more of a shooter) and he missed almost the entire season.

Dejounte
05-22-2021, 12:17 AM
X. Tillman has been better, surprisingly. I think he’s the reason Grizzlies even let Dieng go ... Clarke hasn’t been shooting the 3 well this season and I think him and Tillman haven’t been a good pairing. Clark will need to add more perimeter skills. He was great with JJJ last season (who is more of a shooter) and he missed almost the entire season.

Interesting. Seems the players available after where Samanic was taken haven't really stood out. If Luka isn't justifying his draft position by his performance, no one can really say anyone else would have either. I recall some strong supporters of Clarke on this board early on.

FireMicoHalili
05-22-2021, 12:28 AM
might be nice if someone made a list of the “mistakes” the FO has committed since TD’s retirement, just to have an objective look at the Spurs’ problems. Time to take off the fan goggles

james evans
05-22-2021, 12:45 AM
he would have never grown and had that confidence with us. Hmmm, I wonder why...

KaiRMD1
05-22-2021, 01:26 AM
Not in the slightest

duncan2150
05-22-2021, 06:00 AM
no, he is not a player who will be a real upgrade for the spurs. We already have keldon as a 3-4 and that's pretty fine.

Texas_Ranger
05-22-2021, 06:20 AM
our whole team is full of Kyle Andersons.

SAGirl
05-22-2021, 06:49 AM
Interesting. Seems the players available after where Samanic was taken haven't really stood out. If Luka isn't justifying his draft position by his performance, no one can really say anyone else would have either. I recall some strong supporters of Clarke on this board early on.
He was very good for them last year. He’s had a down year though and I think it’s due to him and Tillman having too similar a game. (Not being complementary to each other). I only watched games at the end of the season though when Tillman was very good. I don’t know if there’s anything else going on. He could be a trade target if the Grizzlies want to change their roster a
little but he
might yet make an appearance in the playoffs. He’s not an unplayable guy IMO.

r0drig0lac
05-22-2021, 06:52 AM
Spurs let all of his wings with real size (6'8 '' - 6'10 '') go out, and has played micro ball ever since, the problem is with the president of operations, who happens to be also the coach and has a vision completely of the current basketball.

Truth4sale$
05-22-2021, 07:41 AM
I always liked Kyle Andersen, he was a late pick 1st rounder, with 6'9 height and guard skills. His contract with Memphis was alot of money but he is basically a guy you play 1-5, and guard 3-5. He played with a veteran Spurs team, and it takes time to develop into your own, the same way we saw Lonnie emerge over the 2nd half. Should he have been kept, yes! Is his contract really that much different from what we paid either Dejounte or White- no!

spurs50_
05-22-2021, 07:46 AM
How bad are we if we’re asking if letting Slowmo go was a mistake?

Poolboy5623
05-22-2021, 08:12 AM
How bad are we if we’re asking if letting Slowmo go was a mistake?

Holy FUCK, no kidding LOL. I came in here to type this exact comment. Sad times for Spur fans I guess.

MemphisGirl
05-22-2021, 08:13 AM
SAGirl (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524)'s loss is my gain.

K...
05-22-2021, 12:47 PM
SAGirl (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524)'s loss is my gain.

i don't get it? this thread is spurs fans simping for kyle which is an L, spurs lose to the grizzlies, another L, griz beat warriors which the spurs would not, another L. What is the loss?

But i know, you were so happy to whip out this alt you forgot what the thread was about lol

ECOV
05-22-2021, 02:37 PM
:downspin:

SAGirl
05-23-2021, 09:53 PM
Continúes to play well for Memphis. 5 steals at the half.

tbdog
05-23-2021, 11:10 PM
Continúes to play well for Memphis. 5 steals at the half.

We were alone supporting him, SAGirl.

FireMicoHalili
05-23-2021, 11:18 PM
even Forbes is doing passably well for the Bucks. Happy for both guys. We can make all the excuses in the world and rave about how good a guy DeRozan is or how Pöltl has improved immensely, but fact remains the Spurs haven’t made the playoffs in two years.

timvp
05-23-2021, 11:20 PM
Post-surgery KA is legitimately one of the most entertaining players in the league to watch, tbh. The hitch was cringe but it's basically gone now :tu

Dejounte
05-23-2021, 11:26 PM
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1396678566864211970?s=19

Kyle bringing back 90s basketball physicality

Spurtacular
05-24-2021, 12:43 AM
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1396678566864211970?s=19

Kyle bringing back 90s basketball physicality

They're competing to see who can get the most ridiculous flop at this point. :lol

Kurgan
05-24-2021, 06:42 AM
Post-surgery KA is legitimately one of the most entertaining players in the league to watch, tbh. The hitch was cringe but it's basically gone now :tu

Spurs doctors taking the L once again. Misdiagnosed Pau, Kyle, Kawhi. It's possible that LMA might have died of a heart attack if he was still wearing a Spur uniform. Thankfully, the medical team in Brooklyn aren't full of Nick Rivieras like the Spurs are.

exstatic
05-24-2021, 07:55 AM
Spurs doctors taking the L once again. Misdiagnosed Pau, Kyle, Kawhi. It's possible that LMA might have died of a heart attack if he was still wearing a Spur uniform. Thankfully, the medical team in Brooklyn aren't full of Nick Rivieras like the Spurs are.

LMA had issues in Portland. He had issues here. He had issues in BKY. How is this on the Spurs doctors? He was medicated his whole career.

Kawhi was never misdiagnosed. The Spurs medical staff and front office told him EXACTLY what he had: a chronic quad condition that would require him to play through pain. His Group didn’t like that. Guess what? He’s still missing time.

SAGirl
05-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Memphis is full of confidence and hungry. They are going to be trouble for years to come I think (if they don’t screw things up).

I hated that the Spurs let Kyle go at the time, but I am happy for him because he landed in a good situation.

K...
05-24-2021, 09:44 AM
It's funny, spurs fans have been used to talented teams, and seeing role players leave to flounder, while cast offs like diaw and danny get big roles. Now the spurs are average and their role players go to better teams and find success, and they cry "conspiracy, conspiracy! "

rjv
05-24-2021, 09:55 AM
LMA had issues in Portland. He had issues here. He had issues in BKY. How is this on the Spurs doctors? He was medicated his whole career.

Kawhi was never misdiagnosed. The Spurs medical staff and front office told him EXACTLY what he had: a chronic quad condition that would require him to play through pain. His Group didn’t like that. Guess what? He’s still missing time.

and he seems diminished even with all the rest he gets. yes, kawhi still shows greatness at times but there are other times where he seems to lack elevation and can't stay in front of the player he's defending. he's definitely not the lock-down defender he was just a few years ago. i'd be surprised if leonard's career turns out to be a long one.

pad300
05-24-2021, 10:49 AM
and he seems diminished even with all the rest he gets. yes, kawhi still shows greatness at times but there are other times where he seems to lack elevation and can't stay in front of the player he's defending. he's definitely not the lock-down defender he was just a few years ago. i'd be surprised if leonard's career turns out to be a long one.

Yeah, physically, he's got issues. Still, if he's willing to step back from being the man, he's got enough talent to stick for a long time...

TimDunkem
05-24-2021, 10:50 AM
He took almost 6 years to be any good. Can't blame them for moving on.

rjv
05-24-2021, 11:03 AM
somewhat that some of the same posters who think we should have waited for kA to develop or the same voices that want to dump some of our younger players because they haven't shown enough yet.

SAGirl
05-24-2021, 11:31 AM
I mean Kyle was showing everything he’s showing in these playoffs when he was in the Spurs except for the shot and that was due to an untreated injury that worsened. If there’s guys out there that are taking 6 years to develop they will likely be out of the league. People are acting like he wasn’t a massive part of by the team in 2017-18...

rjv
05-24-2021, 11:36 AM
kyle is far more polished now than he was with the spurs. hitch in his shot or not, KA had lonnie walker disease back then-the hesitancy to shoot. he doesn't hesitate anymore. the IQ was there. the potential showed. but he is definitely a more confident player now than he was then. he even has an attitude on the court now. it's like he went from being underconfident to being one of the cockiest players on the court.

EasyMoney
05-24-2021, 11:46 AM
I hope he's not just playing for a new contract. Isn't he eligible for an extension this off season?

GreekSpursfan
05-24-2021, 01:25 PM
The Spurs didn't make a mistake letting him go if we're talking champioship lvl players or role players, he's not one of them. If you take Morant and Jionas V out of this team they are tank worthy, he's that great as a pg and the other a very good center and actual rim protector, i wish we had him.

timvp
05-24-2021, 01:32 PM

Pau was ancient and his foot broke after he tried to pay through the pain. That's what happens, tbh.

As for Kyle, his injury wasn't really an injury. It was a condition he was born with that got worse and worse over the years. It wasn't until he was with Memphis that it got to the point he couldn't ignore it anymore.

r0drig0lac
05-24-2021, 06:26 PM
kyle is far more polished now than he was with the spurs. hitch in his shot or not, KA had lonnie walker disease back then-the hesitancy to shoot. he doesn't hesitate anymore. the IQ was there. the potential showed. but he is definitely a more confident player now than he was then. he even has an attitude on the court now. it's like he went from being underconfident to being one of the cockiest players on the court.

yep, it's called "fear of Pop" disease

Trill Clinton
05-24-2021, 06:29 PM
But the Spurstalk GM's told me fathead sucked

tbdog
05-24-2021, 07:35 PM
I mean Kyle was showing everything he’s showing in these playoffs when he was in the Spurs except for the shot and that was due to an untreated injury that worsened. If there’s guys out there that are taking 6 years to develop they will likely be out of the league. People are acting like he wasn’t a massive part of by the team in 2017-18...

Exactly. Kyle needed to improve on two things. Strength and shot. Those are two things that was always going to come. He had everything else already in his game to be a starter calibre player that can't be taught. His lack of athleticism meant he was never going to be great. But he didn't needed to be great. Spurstalk hated him. Sagirl and I praised him.

james evans
05-24-2021, 07:45 PM
And Forbes out here balling. Popovich gotta go!! His style of coaching just isn’t working anymore

MemphisGirl
05-24-2021, 07:56 PM
I hated that the Spurs let Kyle go at the time, but I am happy for him because he landed in a good situation.

Damn straight. Kyle's my man now. Don't be getting any ideas!!!

B1gduff
05-24-2021, 08:11 PM
the ways he's playing it not really a surpsie, this is the guy that Spurs Envisioned when they drafted him yet it took him a bit to reach that guy we wanted him to be.

.I'm happy for him! was one of my favortie player, at a time pissed me off, but dude had all the skills set.

SAGirl
05-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Damn straight. Kyle's my man now. Don't be getting any ideas!!!
Cute

Ocotillo
05-24-2021, 08:51 PM

Add to that it took the Memphis doctors multiple seasons to figure it out too.

SAGirl
05-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Add to that it took the Memphis doctors multiple seasons to figure it out too.
That’s a mistake. He got injured or his problem became increasingly chronic his first season there and he had season ending surgery. He played last season but didn’t shoot well at all because he rehabbed his shoulder in the summer but he didn’t have time to practice his shot until COVID causes a pause in the season. He came back from that long break shooting with confidence and shot well in the bubble. He’s had a career year in term of scoring.

FireMicoHalili
05-24-2021, 09:10 PM
Memphis is full of confidence and hungry. They are going to be trouble for years to come I think (if they don’t screw things up).

Low-key love he and Bryn are playing well in the postseason. Forces the FO (and a few of us here) to take a hard look at what might be wrong. These guys used to be memes in this forum

james evans
05-24-2021, 09:13 PM
Low-key love he and Bryn are playing well in the postseason. Forces the FO (and a few of us here) to take a hard look at what might be wrong. These guys used to be memes in this forum
Everyone knows what the problem is but ignores the elephant in the room.

FireMicoHalili
05-24-2021, 10:41 PM
Everyone knows what the problem is but ignores the elephant in the room.
Is it trust in Pop and the FO? Can't blame them really, the results the past years speak for themselves. Seemed more like stubbornness to adapt to the modern NBA more than anything. We also netted a decent return for Leonard but if there were other offers on the table for people who could shoot threes (Tobias Harris, Brandon Ingram), they arguably would've been a better fit than DeRozan. Was hopeful DeRozan could snap out of his funk here at first but it's clear he isn't the piece to build a championship team around.

tbdog
05-25-2021, 04:16 AM
Is it trust in Pop and the FO? Can't blame them really, the results the past years speak for themselves. Seemed more like stubbornness to adapt to the modern NBA more than anything. We also netted a decent return for Leonard but if there were other offers on the table for people who could shoot threes (Tobias Harris, Brandon Ingram), they arguably would've been a better fit than DeRozan. Was hopeful DeRozan could snap out of his funk here at first but it's clear he isn't the piece to build a championship team around.

I can tell you how it went down. It makes sense when you break it down.

During the 2017 season when Leonard sat out and LMA led them to the playoffs. Spurs needed to address 3point shooting in the off season. They addressed this by letting Kyle go in favour of bringing Bertans up the rotation. They signed Belinelli, Pondexter, Gay and extended Forbes.

Spurs mistake was the relationship with Leonard was unrepairable. They made moves with Leonard in mind. Instead they traded him and Green (two best defenders after already letting Kyle go) for DDR and Poeltl. Poeltl, despite starting was behind both LMA and Gasol in the rotation. The guy only played like 10 mins per game.

The Spurs mistake here was the double big era was on its last legs and the Gasol and LMA pairing which led them to the playoffs was coming to the end. Gasol breaks a bone in his foot and his career is done. Spurs were ready for Murray to take the starting PG role after being the 2nd all-team defender but he does his acl in pre season. White then has an injury and therefore Forbes is now your starting PG. The spurs defense is putrid.

Spurs address this in the next off season. They go for big defenders in Morris and Carroll at the cost of shooting. Unfortunately we know how that went. Carroll aged over the off season and he never played a meaningful game again. Morris backs out of deal and Spurs sign Lyles as a left over instead. This offseason was horrid. Spurs did not address their defense and what made matters worse, they lost Bertans. Pop was straight up scared to play White and Murray together because of lack of 3 point shooting. He overplays Beli, who plays his last NBA season. People here like to think Pop chose to play Beli more than Walker. He didn't. Walker had slightly more minutes and started more games. The Spurs biggest mistake here was not trying the White/Murray backcourt earlier and thereby reducing Forbe's minutes and perhaps not throwing Johnson in the rotation earlier.

And finally this season. Spurs address their poor defense by upgrading the youth into the rotation. Pop vision was the increase shooting attempts from Johnson, LMA and Walker would compensate the loss of Beli and Forbes. The improved defense would close the gap. However LMA checked out and eventually retired. Let's be honest, he retires regardless if Spurs trade him, waived him - he retires. And White gets injured. White played less games that Trey Jones. Spurs actually shot nearly an identical amount of 3's 28.5 compared to 28.4 this season but their percentage drop by 2.6%.

When you break it down, year by year, you can clearly see the Spurs attempt to address issues. Carroll signing was bad because he never played a meaningful game after the signing. The advance, professional scouts, their job should have identified this. Perhaps Carroll got the money and just didn't put the work in. What made it worse, Spurs gave him an extra year to make a trade happen to sign Morris. That Morris deal hurt the spurs massively. Fans like to be short sighted and want immediate improvements. But the spurs did not want to jeopardise the 2021 off season cap space. With the exception of Carroll's left over waiving money, they didn't.

As for Harris and Ingram. Ingram was not on the table unless the Spurs took Deng. That was the deal. As for Harris. The guy is a third option on the Sixers. He is comparable too Middleton, who is actually playing a bigger role. On a max contract, Harris would be terrible as a number 1 option. He is by in large far worse than DDR is at being number 1. Spurs would have paid him max to keep and and still be in this position, potentially worse.

MemphisGirl
05-25-2021, 06:05 AM
Cute

I see you eyeing him. Back off bitch!!!

FireMicoHalili
05-25-2021, 07:54 AM
I can tell you how it went down. It makes sense when you break it down.

During the 2017 season when Leonard sat out and LMA led them to the playoffs. Spurs needed to address 3point shooting in the off season. They addressed this by letting Kyle go in favour of bringing Bertans up the rotation. They signed Belinelli, Pondexter, Gay and extended Forbes.

Spurs mistake was the relationship with Leonard was unrepairable. They made moves with Leonard in mind. Instead they traded him and Green (two best defenders after already letting Kyle go) for DDR and Poeltl. Poeltl, despite starting was behind both LMA and Gasol in the rotation. The guy only played like 10 mins per game.

The Spurs mistake here was the double big era was on its last legs and the Gasol and LMA pairing which led them to the playoffs was coming to the end. Gasol breaks a bone in his foot and his career is done. Spurs were ready for Murray to take the starting PG role after being the 2nd all-team defender but he does his acl in pre season. White then has an injury and therefore Forbes is now your starting PG. The spurs defense is putrid.

Spurs address this in the next off season. They go for big defenders in Morris and Carroll at the cost of shooting. Unfortunately we know how that went. Carroll aged over the off season and he never played a meaningful game again. Morris backs out of deal and Spurs sign Lyles as a left over instead. This offseason was horrid. Spurs did not address their defense and what made matters worse, they lost Bertans. Pop was straight up scared to play White and Murray together because of lack of 3 point shooting. He overplays Beli, who plays his last NBA season. People here like to think Pop chose to play Beli more than Walker. He didn't. Walker had slightly more minutes and started more games. The Spurs biggest mistake here was not trying the White/Murray backcourt earlier and thereby reducing Forbe's minutes and perhaps not throwing Johnson in the rotation earlier.

And finally this season. Spurs address their poor defense by upgrading the youth into the rotation. Pop vision was the increase shooting attempts from Johnson, LMA and Walker would compensate the loss of Beli and Forbes. The improved defense would close the gap. However LMA checked out and eventually retired. Let's be honest, he retires regardless if Spurs trade him, waived him - he retires. And White gets injured. White played less games that Trey Jones. Spurs actually shot nearly an identical amount of 3's 28.5 compared to 28.4 this season but their percentage drop by 2.6%.

When you break it down, year by year, you can clearly see the Spurs attempt to address issues. Carroll signing was bad because he never played a meaningful game after the signing. The advance, professional scouts, their job should have identified this. Perhaps Carroll got the money and just didn't put the work in. What made it worse, Spurs gave him an extra year to make a trade happen to sign Morris. That Morris deal hurt the spurs massively. Fans like to be short sighted and want immediate improvements. But the spurs did not want to jeopardise the 2021 off season cap space. With the exception of Carroll's left over waiving money, they didn't.

As for Harris and Ingram. Ingram was not on the table unless the Spurs took Deng. That was the deal. As for Harris. The guy is a third option on the Sixers. He is comparable too Middleton, who is actually playing a bigger role. On a max contract, Harris would be terrible as a number 1 option. He is by in large far worse than DDR is at being number 1. Spurs would have paid him max to keep and and still be in this position, potentially worse.
Excellent breakdown mate, all this fits. And extra grateful for that last paragraph since I was in no position to know they had to take Deng. All that said though, fact remains they're out of the playoffs. Not sure it was wise to keep on holding on for a playoff spot this year. The kids gain invaluable experience but DDR took a chunk of the playing time from the youngsters. Just hoping his attitude rubbed off on the kids.

SAGirl
05-25-2021, 09:58 AM
I see you eyeing him. Back off bitch!!!
Eye roll..... F attempt. Keep trying. :lol:downspin:

Dejounte
05-25-2021, 10:43 AM
To think a grown ass man is writing all that...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/jayzd.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/jOpLbiGmHR9S0/giphy.gif

https://media.tenor.com/images/3102ac938ee2b3b0607cb5238f3020d1/tenor.gif

slick'81
05-25-2021, 02:02 PM
Ka and bryn spurring their teams on:wow

TheRemix
05-25-2021, 02:31 PM
https://twitter.com/nba_paint/status/1397234648913219597?s=20

ElNono
06-01-2021, 01:54 AM
Shut down this thread, please... OP should be pinked as well...

The only mistake the Spurs made with Kyle Anderson is keep him in the roster for 3 years or so...

ernest787
06-01-2021, 08:04 AM
Shut down this thread, please... OP should be pinked as well...

The only mistake the Spurs made with Kyle Anderson is keep him in the roster for 3 years or so...

THIS

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-07-2021, 03:17 PM
https://twitter.com/nba_paint/status/1397234648913219597?s=20

:lol