PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Now THIS is basketball

TDfan2007
05-24-2021, 06:01 PM
So far the play in and playoff games have shown that at its best, the NBA is still one of the most exciting leagues in the world. These games have been physical and very competitive, and I couldn't be happier about it.

However, watching the playoffs, it's become crystal clear that this year's record-setting offense was mainly due to NBA teams just phoning it in defensively in the regular season. That's going to be a problem for the league going forward, because I can't remember a time since I've started watching (2002) when the gap between regular season and playoff intensity was this wide.

How are y'all liking the playoffs so far?

P.S. :lol AD...

DMC
05-24-2021, 06:16 PM
Shitty. Same fake stars doing the same shit.

lefty
05-24-2021, 07:49 PM
The playoffs are amazing

Bynumite
05-24-2021, 08:36 PM
It does seem pretty wide open this season. More so than usual.

Mr. Body
05-24-2021, 08:37 PM
It's as much the refereeing during the regular season is fucking ridiculous, valuing the offensive player at any point possible beyond reason. The points of emphasis are a joke. We're now back to sort of regular, actual basketball and it's a breath of fresh air.

GAustex
05-24-2021, 08:48 PM
I watch the Spurs only
NBA really is a poor product lately.

Bynumite
05-24-2021, 08:57 PM
I watch the Spurs only
NBA really is a poor product lately.

:lmao

Well, strictly watching the spurs might be the reason why you feel the product is poor. Your team is trash juice.

Spurtacular
05-24-2021, 08:59 PM
The playoffs are amazing

On paper.

Mr. Body
05-24-2021, 09:00 PM

Well, strictly watching the spurs might be the reason why you feel the product is poor. Your team is trash juice.

It's a really flat, uninspired period for the league, tbh, similar to the late 90s. No outstanding teams and few stars that have established themselves as the next generation (yet).

Spurtacular
05-24-2021, 09:08 PM
It's a really flat, uninspired period for the league, tbh, similar to the late 90s. No outstanding teams and few stars that have established themselves as the next generation (yet).

Does that mean we're on the heels of Kobe Tatum threepeat?

Bynumite
05-24-2021, 09:08 PM
I thought the current season was a spurfans wet dream. The Golden State juggernaut finally out of the picture, Lakers hanging on for dear life, small markets at the top of the west, with solid chances of coming out the conference.

Just say you're salty because your team sucks and leave it at that tbh :lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-24-2021, 09:10 PM
i’m salty because the spurs suck

also salty because my nba watching season ends when the spurs season ends, which is early because they suck

Spurtacular
05-24-2021, 09:13 PM
I thought the current season was a spurfans wet dream. The Golden State juggernaut finally out of the picture, Lakers hanging on for dear life, small markets at the top of the west, with solid chances of coming out the conference.

Just say you're salty because your team sucks and leave it at that tbh :lol

Too early to celebrate. Lakers can still be installed as champions again.

GAustex
05-24-2021, 09:14 PM
My fandom is deep for Spurs.
The lack of defense and physicality make for a weak product.
If I was not such a Spurs die hard I am sure I would not watch NBA at all.

Mitch
05-24-2021, 10:15 PM
Lowest points in the NBA were 1999*, 2005, 2007 and 2014 respectively tbh

* - denotes nba hiatus, and temporary existence of the US basketball exhibition

Spurtacular
05-24-2021, 10:56 PM
Lowest points in the NBA were 1999*, 2005, 2007 and 2014 respectively tbh

I'm glad the Spurs could make you feel bad about yourself. :tu

Mitch
05-24-2021, 11:22 PM
I'm glad the Spurs could make you feel bad about yourself. :tu

Not as bad as the blue balls Jimmer gave you when he flopped in the NBA multiple times :lol

lefty
05-25-2021, 12:32 AM

:lol

Rummpd
05-25-2021, 04:11 AM
Not as bad as the blue balls Jimmer gave you when he flopped in the NBA multiple times :lol

About that Fakers sham bubble tourney pseudo chip in 2020 made of pixie dust and just came about over injured and weak teams and of course Faker’s patented 8 on 5 zebra control. Beyond an asterisk.

Spurtacular
05-25-2021, 05:49 AM
About that Fakers sham bubble tourney pseudo chip in 2020 made of pixie dust and just came about over injured and weak teams and of course Faker’s patented 8 on 5 zebra control. Beyond an asterisk.

On the whole, it perhaps gives 2002 a run for its money.
But at least with 2002, we know the Kings are the real champions.
2020 we'll have to wonder. It probably would've been the Nuggets though.

JamStone
05-25-2021, 08:09 AM
There are certain players I enjoy watching for different reasons regardless of playoffs or regular season. Luka, Dame, Jokic, Steph when he’s on one of his shoot from anywhere, make everything runs. And in these playoffs, there are some interesting match-ups, and interesting potential match-ups in later rounds. I think those storylines help sell watching the games.

But still, for the most part, I’m bored watching games until the final 4-5 minutes. Even in the playoffs, I won’t watch any game from tip off to final buzzer without flipping channels for long stretches in the middle of the game. And then if the game is compelling, I’ll watch the last few minutes. I think that’s with most sports, actually. I may have succumbed to the current generation’s on-demand impatience.

DMC
05-25-2021, 08:57 AM
It's nice watching these Lakers fans suck Lebron's nutsack after calling him everything but a black man up till he came to LA. It's also a relief to not be bombarded with the ex-rapist's shit takes constantly.

GAustex
05-25-2021, 03:08 PM
Sunday afternoon NBA got smoked

By golf

Lol

lefty
05-25-2021, 03:46 PM

By golf

Lol

No surprise, another old white men “sport”, those people who are triggered by BLM :lol

Neo.
05-25-2021, 03:59 PM
No surprise, another old white men “sport”, those people who are triggered by BLM :lol

pretty much this, not even anything to do with the game itself, as opposed to politics

GAustex
05-25-2021, 04:39 PM
Smoked
By golf

lefty
05-25-2021, 04:52 PM
Smoked
By golf
Triggered
Snowflakes

GAustex
05-25-2021, 05:05 PM
By golf

Spurtacular
05-25-2021, 05:50 PM

You would rather watch a run of the mill NBA game than watching Phil go on an epic tear in his twilight years?

Mitch
05-25-2021, 10:39 PM

More valid than 1999 by a country mile.

lefty
05-25-2021, 11:53 PM
You would rather watch a run of the mill NBA game than watching Phil go on an epic tear in his twilight years?

is that a question

lefty
05-25-2021, 11:54 PM
By golf
you got this backward but thar was expected lol

i'm_still_beta
05-26-2021, 01:57 AM

By golf

Lol

https://www.outkick.com/pga-nba-ratings/

The truth is, the NBA is just not as popular as we’ve been led to believe. It’s the primary sport on ESPN/ABC. It’s the most frequently talked about sport on social media. Its players’ views align with those with the loudest voices in our country. Combine all that, and you have a product promoted well beyond its interest level.

Phil Mickelson is also a bigger draw than LeBron :lol

Spurtacular
05-26-2021, 04:12 AM
is that a question

However you want to see it. I would choose Comeback Phil over the commie collaborative sh** tbh.

Spurtacular
05-26-2021, 04:13 AM

The truth is, the NBA is just not as popular as we’ve been led to believe. It’s the primary sport on ESPN/ABC. It’s the most frequently talked about sport on social media. Its players’ views align with those with the loudest voices in our country. Combine all that, and you have a product promoted well beyond its interest level.

Good point. NBA goes along with the dumbification of America tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2021, 06:36 AM
spurs DD ERA or kobes last 4 seasons as a laker?

FrostKing
05-27-2021, 09:01 PM

"Tee Morant did not attend the Grizzlies' Game 1 win because he was celebrating his mother's birthday with her, but he said one Jazz fan shouted "boy" at his son during the series opener. Ja Morant responded by pointing toward the fan."

ESPN is making a mistake pushing this racism story line on their network. I clicked on their site this morning and top 2 stories were about supposed racism. Average human being will recognize that the term "boy" is not racist. Otherwise we must reevaluate "whiteboy".

Spurtacular
05-27-2021, 09:04 PM
"Tee Morant did not attend the Grizzlies' Game 1 win because he was celebrating his mother's birthday with her, but he said one Jazz fan shouted "boy" at his son during the series opener. Ja Morant responded by pointing toward the fan."

ESPN is making a mistake pushing this racism story line on their network. I clicked on their site this morning and top 2 stories were about supposed racism. Average human being will recognize that the term "boy" is not racist. Otherwise we must reevaluate "whiteboy".

This is why people are tuning out. So be it.

DMC
05-27-2021, 10:06 PM
How will Chris Paul choke away this series? Surely there's some "look at me" crazy 6D chess move he's going to try and fail miserably in crunch time, and give the game away again.

i'm_still_beta
05-27-2021, 10:14 PM
Ayton is such a scrub. Can't even back down KCP in the post. Freezes on defense often. Low bbiq in general

Spurtacular
05-27-2021, 11:08 PM
Just remembering Lakers have M. Gasol now. They haven't even been playing him.
What a load of sh**.

Spurtacular
05-27-2021, 11:12 PM
Wesley Matthews too?

Hard to beat a team on the road when their 11 and 12 guys go that deep.

daslicer
05-27-2021, 11:15 PM
Just remembering Lakers have M. Gasol now. They haven't even been playing him.
What a load of sh**.

Drummond was the ultimate bail out. To me he is the difference maker in the sense he allows them to get too many second chance points they would normally not get. It's hard for teams to box out both Davis and Drummond which allows for a ton of second chance points. Gasol is too old to play significant minutes. They would have been in a lot of pain without the Drummond bail out.

Spurtacular
05-28-2021, 12:21 AM
Drummond was the ultimate bail out. To me he is the difference maker in the sense he allows them to get too many second chance points they would normally not get. It's hard for teams to box out both Davis and Drummond which allows for a ton of second chance points. Gasol is too old to play significant minutes. They would have been in a lot of pain without the Drummond bail out.

Yea, an agile 5 for cleanup is big in today's NBA. They still have Howard too? SMH

daslicer
05-28-2021, 02:39 AM
Yea, an agile 5 for cleanup is big in today's NBA. They still have Howard too? SMH

Howard is on the Sixers.

ambchang
05-28-2021, 06:22 AM

Did you just leave out the rest or did you not understand it wasn’t about the word boy?

Tee Morant said one fan made a sexually explicit remark to his wife, Jamie. Tee Morant, who was sitting a couple of seats over, confronted the man before security deescalated the situation, ejecting the Jazz fan.

According to Tee Morant, another Jazz fan told him, "I'll put a nickel in your back and watch you dance, boy." Several other Jazz fans, who had been enjoying good-spirited trash talk with the Morants and their family friends, confronted that fan and alerted security. Tee Morant said he was shocked that the Jazz fan, who was ejected, made such a comment with the man's young daughter by his side.

The third fan who was ejected yelled at Jamie Morant, "Shut the f--- up, b----," Tee Morant said.

Neo.
05-28-2021, 10:24 AM
:lmao frostking and his fake news

FrostKing
05-28-2021, 11:39 AM
Did you just leave out the rest or did you not understand it wasn’t about the word boy?
It was about the dancing part? Which based on highlights I've seen, is rather common in the NBA and by Morant. Yes the fan was a low class asshole for dropping F and B Bombs.

Imagine the abuse Jordan's family must have experienced when these teams were actually fighting for Championships. It was mentioned on 'Last Dance' in a rather casual way by his son.

What has changed in this society over the last 20 years? I definitely wouldn't be cursing in public with cell phones around.

ambchang
05-28-2021, 05:51 PM
It was about the dancing part? Which based on highlights I've seen, is rather common in the NBA and by Morant. Yes the fan was a low class asshole for dropping F and B Bombs.

Imagine the abuse Jordan's family must have experienced when these teams were actually fighting for Championships. It was mentioned on 'Last Dance' in a rather casual way by his son.

What has changed in this society over the last 20 years? I definitely wouldn't be cursing in public with cell phones around.

So morants family should just take the abuse because Jordan was too chickenshit to stand up for his family? Oh wait, Jordan didn’t care about his family. Especially not his dad.

FrostKing
05-28-2021, 07:52 PM
So morants family should just take the abuse because Jordan was too chickenshit to stand up for his family? Oh wait, Jordan didn’t care about his family. Especially not his dad.
Morant's family can do whatever they like. I'm personally not buying in that society is more hateful today, on the contrary it is more fragile.

Neo.
05-28-2021, 07:54 PM
Morant's family can do whatever they like. I'm personally not buying in that society is more hateful today, on the contrary it is more fragile.

so youre saying blatant racism and classless acts should simply be tolerated, as opposed to ended?

FrostKing
05-28-2021, 07:58 PM
so youre saying blatant racism and classless acts should simply be tolerated, as opposed to ended?
I have yet to see any racism in these stories the past week. If the NBA chooses to ban people for being low class assholes, I see no issue with that.

Neo.
05-28-2021, 08:06 PM
I have yet to see any racism in these stories the past week. If the NBA chooses to ban people for being low class assholes, I see no issue with that.

there are varying understandings of what "ill put a nickel in your back" means, but some seem to suggest its quite racist, idk

and of course the word "boy" seems to have different meanings to different people, so im not going to debate on that one

so just taking racism out of the equation here... by claiming they are being overly fragile, you seem to be implying that actions such as being spat on and having food thrown at you should simply be tolerated

ambchang
05-28-2021, 08:13 PM

Or that people realize what we’re happening in the past was not right and wanted change. Just like how people now use anesthesia for dental work instead of just toughing it out like our medieval ancestors did.

FrostKing
05-28-2021, 08:23 PM
there are varying understandings of what "ill put a nickel in your back" means, but some seem to suggest its quite racist, idk

and of course the word "boy" seems to have different meanings to different people, so im not going to debate on that one

so just taking racism out of the equation here... by claiming they are being overly fragile, you seem to be implying that actions such as being spat on and having food thrown at you should simply be tolerated
Okay I agree and admit I went too far labeling it/them fragile. I am also caught up in the moment.

I've never directed a curse word at a fan or opponent at a sporting event (because I always feared being booted and wasting money in the process) so I can't relate to them and won't try to play devils advocate.

FrostKing
05-28-2021, 08:25 PM
Or that people realize what we’re happening in the past was not right and wanted change. Just like how people now use anesthesia for dental work instead of just toughing it out like our medieval ancestors did.
Yes their actions are especially naive considering cell phone recordings are so common. I enjoy banter at the game but ultimately we are all just trying to enjoy our leisure time. If someone bet money on the game and is personally invested, that doesn't excuse them ruining my time as a paying customer