PDA

View Full Version : Forbes with 19 pts, and 5 for 8 from the three point line

B1gduff
05-24-2021, 08:08 PM
So much for the all genius that said that Forbes isn't even an NBA player after last season. Dude's on first and had a great season.

james evans
05-24-2021, 08:39 PM
it obvious he and Anderson are playing better under coaches that know what the fuck they are doing..

Ocotillo
05-24-2021, 08:48 PM
I always felt Forbes was redundant to Patty. Both of them were/are overplayed by Pop but as bench, spread the floor sparkplugs they have a role in the NBA.

FkLA
05-24-2021, 09:22 PM
No.

paperboy77
05-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Irrelevant. Many on this site have said it wasn't about Forbes and more about how Pop used him. (And to our team composition.) This makes more of a case to the shitty GM we have and how Ole Man Pop-a-bitch is as irrelevant as ever.

Degoat
05-24-2021, 09:34 PM
I was always a fan of Forbes tbh, he shouldn’t have been playing over Lonnie like he was last year but we should have kept him and shipped out Patty imo

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-24-2021, 09:40 PM
Any Forbes Suckers gonna do some damage control?

timvp
05-24-2021, 09:48 PM
it obvious he is playing better with a superstar and multiple other stars to draw attention and to hide him on the defensive end..

True, well said.

tbdog
05-24-2021, 09:52 PM
A role player off the bench getting hot with an MVP on his team, is something that happens often.

rjv
05-24-2021, 09:53 PM
it obvious he and Anderson are playing better under coaches that know what the fuck they are doing..

How dare you be the voice of reason.

The Truth #6
05-24-2021, 09:59 PM
A player like him needs to be on a good team in order to maximize his benefit and hide his weaknesses. Simply put, we didn’t have enough talent on the team to properly utilize/hide Forbes.

Jsmythe
05-24-2021, 10:04 PM
What about game 1 when Forbes had 5 pts, 0 for 3 from three (1 reb 0 ast 0 stl in 14 min)?

It's probably a lot less pressure to make threes in a 34 point blowout than in a tight 2 point win.

Actually I just looked at the play-by-play and Bryn hit his first shot when the Bucks were leading 21-10. But to give him some credit, he hit 5 of 6 shots in the first quarter for 14 points, so he definitely helped create that blowout early on.

EasyMoney
05-24-2021, 10:08 PM
What about game 1 when Forbes had 5 pts, 0 for 3 from three (1 reb 0 ast 0 stl in 14 min)?

It's probably a lot less pressure to make threes in a 34 point blowout than in a tight 2 point win.

Did you even watch the game? He's part of the reason they had the big lead in the first place. Couldn't miss in the 1st half. 6 3s alone in 2 quarters I believe.

Jsmythe
05-24-2021, 10:16 PM
Did you even watch the game? He's part of the reason they had the big lead in the first place. Couldn't miss in the 1st half. 6 3s alone in 2 quarters I believe.

Yeah I edited my original post, he did help create that blowout. I still don't miss him or Kyle Anderson for that matter. Bryn was too big a liability on defense and stole too many minutes away from other players who actually had a future with the Spurs. As for Kyle, he's better now, but remember he got a 4 year $37 million contract from the Grizzlies and in my opinion he underperformed until this year.

Could you imagine Forbes on the Spurs this year, taking minutes away from Lonnie Walker and Devin Vassell? Even if Lonnie and Devin don't pan out in the end, they have way more potential than Forbes who will always be the same player that he always was.

DAF86
05-24-2021, 10:22 PM
Good for him. Keep him away.

timtonymanu
05-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Wasn’t going to help us regardless with the personnel and team we have. It was best for both parties that he left.

Mills would look like how he did in 2014 if he was playing on an actual contender

TDomination
05-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Irrelevant. Many on this site have said it wasn't about Forbes and more about how Pop used him. (And to our team composition.) This makes more of a case to the shitty GM we have and how Ole Man Pop-a-bitch is as irrelevant as ever.
this

most of the players on our team are not being used correctly

tim_duncan_fan
05-24-2021, 10:51 PM

Yep.

Forbes is there to shoot threes. We had him as a starter and primary/secondary ball-handler. Misusing players has been a hallmark of the last few years.

Obi Juan Kenobi
05-25-2021, 12:58 AM
Mills would look like how he did in 2014 if he was playing on an actual contender

GreekSpursfan
05-25-2021, 01:37 AM
He suits better there, he would be great for us if the other four on the floor were all from great to elite defenders and on the other end he's usually open thx to you know who. He could do some things for us here offensively but on the other end we couldn't hide him.
Against the Nets even the Bucks won't be able to hide him, he's that bad defensively even if he tries.

TimDunkem
05-25-2021, 01:45 AM
He was one of the worst players in the league last year and played starter minutes. Of course no one wanted that shit. Still don't, tbh. MIL is one of the few teams that can afford to play him.

Fireball
05-25-2021, 04:42 AM
horrible midget who can get hot ... he is not starting in Milwaukee and of course you play him a bit more when he is hot ... also easy to make your shots with a 20+ point lead

Em-City
05-25-2021, 06:25 AM
no regrets

Spurtacular
05-25-2021, 06:35 AM
Anything less that 25 on efficient shooting can't possibly cover the fact that he is the worst defensive liability in the league.

Spurtacular
05-25-2021, 06:38 AM
I always felt Forbes was redundant to Patty. Both of them were/are overplayed by Pop but as bench, spread the floor sparkplugs they have a role in the NBA.

Hated this interchangeability being spouted when Forbes was here.

Unlike Mills, Forbes doesn't:

- Handle the ball
- Make plays
- Play defense even a little
- Not foul three shooters
- Be a leader on the floor
- Wave towels on the bench

dbestpro
05-25-2021, 07:08 AM
The key is Forbes came off the bench and was used the way most of Spurstalk was begging Pop to do. Using Forbes against first string talent always has and always will be a recipe for disaster.

exstatic
05-25-2021, 07:27 AM
So much for the all genius that said that Forbes isn't even an NBA player after last season. Dude's on first and had a great season.

I don’t think posters here ever had a problem with his shooting, he’s just an absolute FUCKING TURNSTILE on defense, and i don’t imagine that has changed. He was also misused as a starter.

Ocotillo
05-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Hated this interchangeability being spouted when Forbes was here.

Unlike Mills, Forbes doesn't:

- Handle the ball
- Make plays
- Play defense even a little
- Not foul three shooters
- Be a leader on the floor
- Wave towels on the bench

I would offer Patty shouldn't handle the ball that much, play much defense, etc... The thing Patty effectively brings to the table is veteran leadership. I am looking for someone to fill that Steve Kerr/Jaren Jackson type role in limited minutes.

John B
05-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Forbes putting in the same numbers from the bench with higher field goal percentage. Anybody took economics? The law of diminishing returns. And should be the same for Patty. They are at best as bench players, not starter minutes.

Career stats

Year

Team

GP

Min

Pts

FG%

Reb

Ast

MIL (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&q=Milwaukee+Bucks&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLQz9U3yMpNKlvEyu-bmVOeWJqdmqrgVJqcXQwACfWgLx4AAAA&sa=X&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=2ahUKEwi47fqZzuzwAhVsDzQIHQnWBk0QMTADegQICxAX)

SAS (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&q=San+Antonio+Spurs&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLQz9U3yMrNMF_EKhicmKfgmFeS n5eZrxBcUFpUDAALyosNIAAAAA&sa=X&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=2ahUKEwi47fqZzuzwAhVsDzQIHQnWBk0QMTADegQICxAZ)

Leetonidas
05-28-2021, 09:58 AM
No one should be surprised, Forbes has potential to go off from deep here and there. He is now playing a role off the bench for an elite defensive team with 3 all-star level players, one of which being an MVP level player. Of course he is excelling in his role. Spurs were forcing him to start on a bad team and play heavy minutes with a large role. While I've always dislike Forbes and his fake hustle, it's 100% Pop's fault for forcing him into a role he had no business being in

NASpurs
05-28-2021, 10:39 AM
Pop’s always stubbornly trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Dex
05-28-2021, 10:41 AM
No one should be surprised, Forbes has potential to go off from deep here and there. He is now playing a role off the bench for an elite defensive team with 3 all-star level players, one of which being an MVP level player. Of course he is excelling in his role. Spurs were forcing him to start on a bad team and play heavy minutes with a large role. While I've always dislike Forbes and his fake hustle, it's 100% Pop's fault for forcing him into a role he had no business being in

Agreed. Forbes was the low hanging fruit on a tree without a lot of fruit.

I'm glad he's gone, but he never should have been forced into that position in the first place.

Also, Spurs don't have the gravity of a Giannis and Middleton....instead, they had an aging Aldridge and DeRozan. I haven't watched a lot of Bucks basketball, but I have to think he is getting a lot of looks that he never got in S.A.

rankingtear
05-28-2021, 11:37 AM
The key is Forbes came off the bench and was used the way most of Spurstalk was begging Pop to do. Using Forbes against first string talent always has and always will be a recipe for disaster.

That Mills-Forbes backcourt sounds awesome.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-28-2021, 01:15 PM
Spurs got rid of him and got 10 games better.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-28-2021, 03:21 PM
If all you're depending on Bryn for is to knock down threes coming off the bench, surrounded by more capable defenders, he's great in that role. We just asked too much of him here. Ditto for Patty.

John B
05-28-2021, 03:48 PM
Pop’s always stubbornly trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
Not true. Pop is forced with the personnel that Spurs have. Spurs have been known for role players, who stay with their roles, and thrived in them. Unfortunately, the lack of talent have forced Pop to give Forbes starter minutes to open lanes for Demar/Aldridge. Patty became a facilitator because of DJ/White injuries. Spurs actually remain to have good/excellent bench and role players. What Spurs have been missing is the franchise/go-to-guy which Demar/Aldridge have not delivered, and had negative effect on the role players who cannot thrive on their specialty roles and instead forced outside of their character.

TD 21
05-28-2021, 04:04 PM
Not true. Pop is forced with the personnel that Spurs have. Spurs have been known for role players, who stay with their roles, and thrived in them. Unfortunately, the lack of talent have forced Pop to give Forbes starter minutes to open lanes for Demar/Aldridge. Patty became a facilitator because of DJ/White injuries. Spurs actually remain to have good/excellent bench and role players. What Spurs have been missing is the franchise/go-to-guy which Demar/Aldridge have not delivered, and had negative effect on the role players who cannot thrive on their specialty roles and instead forced outside of their character.

Pop is the President of Basketball Operations. The roster construction and archaic style are ultimately his fault, especially considering this has been an increasing problem since '15.

Budkin
05-28-2021, 04:33 PM
He’s awful when he’s not on a team full of great players.

John B
05-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Pop is the President of Basketball Operations. The roster construction and archaic style are ultimately his fault, especially considering this has been an increasing problem since '15.
Whether Pop had significant say on the composition of the team, I don't know. By the end of the day, Spurs got Demar and Aldridge together, whose type of game do not compliment with each other against today's NBA. exacerbated by injuries to DJ/White/Lonnie, losing Bertrans. And Pop had to juggle with his personnel to make it work is my point. But historically Spurs players stay with their character, that's what this team has been good at forever. It's been bad judgement and unlucky for the PATFO the last 4-5 years, no thanks to Kawhi. But Spurs have had good fortune forever, only missing 6 playoffs ever?

TD 21
05-28-2021, 05:04 PM
Whether Pop had significant say on the composition of the team, I don't know. By the end of the day, Spurs got Demar and Aldridge together, whose type of game do not compliment with each other against today's NBA. exacerbated by injuries to DJ/White/Lonnie, losing Bertrans. And Pop had to juggle with his personnel to make it work is my point. But historically Spurs players stay with their character, that's what this team has been good at forever. It's been bad judgement and unlucky for the PATFO the last 4-5 years, no thanks to Kawhi. But Spurs have had good fortune forever, only missing 6 playoffs ever?

President of basketball operations is above the GM. I have no doubt Wright has done most of the leg work in recent years and before that obviously Buford, but in the end Pop has the final say.

R. DeMurre
05-28-2021, 05:18 PM
DeVincenzo out for the rest of the playoffs with a torn ligament. Forbes & co about to pick up some more minutes...