PDA

View Full Version : [Part I] Who is SpursTalk's favorite 2021 draft prospect heading into June?

Dejounte
05-26-2021, 07:09 AM
We did this last year, you know the drill...

This will be strictly with players expected to be there at #12. So guys like Cade, Mobley, Kuminga, Green, Suggs, etc. won't be part of the poll.

If there's a popular opinion for a player not included in the poll, I'll add them in next month's thread and remove the player who receives the least votes.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-26-2021, 07:12 AM
Moody Moody Moody :)

PrimeMinister
05-26-2021, 10:04 AM
Wagner, Giddey, Moody in that order

Giddey has kinda crazy potential. Wagner seems like a good bet to immediately contribute in some capacity. Moody I need to watch more but I like what I’ve seen.

look_at_g_shred
05-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Sengun/Moody/Giddey....in that order for me

MultiTroll
05-26-2021, 10:24 AM
Tacko Falls younger brother.

Trill Clinton
05-26-2021, 11:12 AM
Scottie

TXstbobcat
05-26-2021, 11:14 AM
Moody

cd98
05-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Trade for Cade.

Kurik
05-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Moody and Wagner are equal for me, both are young but also have skills that the Spurs need. I also really like that both of their teams went far in the tourney.

jjspur
05-26-2021, 11:42 AM
Wagner Great overall game. We need players that can shoot and rebound.
Kispert Really good shooting and not afraid to take the 3, definitely need that.
Moody We lose a big guard we draft a big guard
Giddy Jak could really use his passing ability for some easy buckets
One of these guys should be available when the spurs pick. With some of our vets leaving any of them could help the spurs immediately. Now if we can draft a big or a good passer in the 2nd round...

Kurik
05-26-2021, 12:01 PM
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=moses-moody--lonnie-walker--keldon-johnson--devin-vassell

Quick comparison for Moody and our young wings coming out of college, what stands out the most is that free throw rate. That’s something the team will need to replace in the future once Derozan leaves. Outside of centers, Moody was I believe top 3 in free throw rate amongst draft prospects.

The Truth #6
05-26-2021, 12:08 PM

Same.

The Truth #6
05-26-2021, 12:10 PM
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=moses-moody--lonnie-walker--keldon-johnson--devin-vassell

Quick comparison for Moody and our young wings coming out of college, what stands out the most is that free throw rate. That’s something the team will need to replace in the future once Derozan leaves. Outside of centers, Moody was I believe top 3 in free throw rate amongst draft prospects.

Yeah, I heard he is really good at drawing fouls driving to the rim as well as flopping while shooting by kicking his leg out, yet evidently he has problems finishing at the rim at the same time. That’s the part of his game I’m still trying to get more info on.

ragas
05-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Jones or Wagner. I’ve voted for Wagner, because he seems to be more ready to play. He‘s a good overall player & checks a lot of boxes, although I think that Kai Jones has the higher ceiling.

PhantomDashCam
05-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Kai Jones, Tre Mann and Jaden Springer.

There are other prospects I like too but they’re the 3 I keep coming back to.

Sugus
05-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Moody for the time being, with Wagner a close second. I don't want Wagner mainly because I don't see more than a role-player in him, and I have high hopes for Luka next season. If Luka is given a bigger role and minutes, and fails to produce, I'd be all aboard for drafting a PF next season... But he's glimpsed just enough this season (and had his minutes/role mismanaged just enough, too) that I wouldn't have it as my first choice.

Now, with DeRozan almost gone, there's a big scoring hole to be filled, and I don't really see any of our existing guards being the natural scorers needed to fill that position. It'd seem counter-intuitive to draft yet another guard (could Moody pass as a SF? I don't know tbh), but we don't have any sure-fire stars in the roster at the moment, so there's no "set" position on the team. I'd also personally like for the Spurs to sell high on DJ, and that becomes exponentially easier to swallow for the FO if they're drafting a potential replacement for his scoring abilities with White being able to handle the floor-general side of things.

Shoot-for-the-fences pick is Kai, I like him. I haven't done nearly enough diligence on this draft class to make a more informed opinion on it or other prospects.

SAGirl
05-26-2021, 05:23 PM
Not informed enough to have a favorite.... maybe in due time.

buttsR4rebounding
05-26-2021, 06:48 PM

2 things that stood out were how many green dots under Vassel and how many red dots under Lonnie.

buttsR4rebounding
05-26-2021, 06:58 PM
I voted Wagner because IMO the only path I see to the Spurs becoming relevant again is if Saminic breaks out which I 100% believe he will and Wagner could possibly give us one of the best defensive front lines with Poeltl, Luka and Franz—the Foreign Legion. The likelihood that if he blossoms that he would stay in SA also plays a role.

tim_duncan_fan
05-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Crazy that it's time for this again. Last year went by fast.

Thanks for doing these (again)!

I want a guy who is tall as fuck for his position, moves well literally, and can shoot from 3.

Which guy is that?

The Truth #6
05-26-2021, 07:09 PM
I voted Wagner because IMO the only path I see to the Spurs becoming relevant again is if Saminic breaks out which I 100% believe he will and Wagner could possibly give us one of the best defensive front lines with Poeltl, Luka and Franz—the Foreign Legion. The likelihood that if he blossoms that he would stay in SA also plays a role.

Love that idea. But there's so much uncertainty with our players, in part because how they are used, and I'm definitely thinking of Luka here. If we somehow knew Luka would get the same minutes Lonnie got this year, then I'd be onboard for a lot of different scenarios in the draft.

Anyway, so many moving parts: player development, FO philosophy, who the coach is, who the coach plays. Hijole.

R. DeMurre
05-26-2021, 07:21 PM

Wow-- the last box where Vassell is all green and Lonnie is all red is a little scary. Vassell was definitely looked upon favorably by advanced stats.

Here's Moody, Wagner, and Vassell: http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=moses-moody--franz-wagner--devin-vassell

Dex
05-26-2021, 07:35 PM
Going with the Texas connection with Kai Jones.

Kid definitely needs to refine his game, but at 6'11 and a 7'1 wingspan, he has size and athleticism and knows how to run. Guys can learn to play basketball better, but you can't teach size.

Has a decent shooting touch and enough range to be a stretch 4, would need to put on some weight to be a true 5.

Remains to be seen if Dieng sticks around, but either way....the Spurs need some shooting, some help in the post, and need to stop pretending like guys like DeMar and KJ are true power forwards.

tim_duncan_fan
05-26-2021, 07:49 PM

Kid definitely needs to refine his game, but at 6'11 and a 7'1 wingspan, he has size and athleticism and knows how to run. Guys can learn to play basketball better, but you can't teach size.

Has a decent shooting touch and enough range to be a stretch 4, would need to put on some weight to be a true 5.

Remains to be seen if Dieng sticks around, but either way....the Spurs need some shooting, some help in the post, and need to stop pretending like guys like DeMar and KJ are true power forwards.

This cannot be stressed enough. It's like the office was listening too intently to their lying wives; size matters. Alot.

Enough of the midgetball.

Russ
05-26-2021, 08:32 PM

Kai's measurables are likely to be off the charts at the combine.

I'm not that big on measurables but many GMs are.

That's a big reason Kai probably won't be available at 12.

Mr. Body
05-26-2021, 09:49 PM
I feel like Wagner will drop, as lottery teams are hunting for stars, and will be there for San Antonio. He's also a guy who is likely to stick and not agitate to go to LA or whatever.

keithington1
05-26-2021, 09:54 PM
Sengun Giddey Bouknight Moody

Spurs9
05-26-2021, 11:22 PM
Whoever is the next Duncan.

tim_duncan_fan
05-26-2021, 11:31 PM
What's the knock on Kai Jones?

Dejounte
05-27-2021, 06:25 AM
What's the knock on Kai Jones?

The same with Precious last year: he tried to play like a wing/ stretch big in college like Precious but he's clearly a rim running big in the NBA. If he does play stretch big in spotty minutes, he'll be a homeless man's version of Kelly Oubre... No feel, and just crazy inefficient because he's a bad-to-streaky shooter at best. Kai has his fans since he's taller and younger so it's fun to imagine wild things about his future.

Thomas82
05-27-2021, 06:48 AM

This is exactly who I want. But if we can't get him I would be happy with Isaiah Jackson.

RVSTX
06-02-2021, 12:20 AM
Jones, Sengun, Garuba, Wagner, Giddey, in that order....Kai Jones wasnt used nearly enough at Texas. He only took about 5 shots a game, he was clearly their best player. he can
be a scary good 2way player. Not sure he will be there at 12, thats my favorite prospect so far...

PrimeMinister
06-02-2021, 10:15 AM
This is exactly who I want. But if we can't get him I would be happy with Isaiah Jackson.

Jackson is an interesting player with his physical tools and motor. I don’t know how much he will be able to impact the game offensively at the next level, but his potential as a free safety type guy in the middle is interesting.

he’s a reach at 12. End of first round talent.

PrimeMinister
06-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Jones, Sengun, Garuba, Wagner, Giddey, in that order....Kai Jones wasnt used nearly enough at Texas. He only took about 5 shots a game, he was clearly their best player. he can
be a scary good 2way player. Not sure he will be there at 12, thats my favorite prospect so far...

Im trying to watch film of Garuba and see a future for him but it’s not there for me yet.

His footwork on offense is so clunky, I have doubts he will ever be able to contribute anything meaningful as an nba player. He looks like he’s tripping over himself when he has to create.

It’s not like Kawhi who had a rough jumper but had the ability to put his back to the basket and finish in the paint. This dude has none of that and a fraction of the defensive upside.

Garuba is the most sure fire bust pick in this draft. But i did think the same of Sengun earlier this year and have come around a bit on him as I’ve studied him more and tried to see what his niche could be

exstatic
06-02-2021, 10:23 PM
Im trying to watch film of Garuba and see a future for him but it’s not there for me yet.

His footwork on offense is so clunky, I have doubts he will ever be able to contribute anything meaningful as an nba player. He looks like he’s tripping over himself when he has to create.

It’s not like Kawhi who had a rough jumper but had the ability to put his back to the basket and finish in the paint. This dude has none of that and a fraction of the defensive upside.

Garuba is the most sure fire bust pick in this draft. But i did think the same of Sengun earlier this year and have come around a bit on him as I’ve studied him more and tried to see what his niche could be

Sengün is basketball player. Garuba is a jumping Jack.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-03-2021, 07:18 AM
Right now at our pick I think Wagner is the safest pick and a guy that barring injuries should hang in the league for 10 plus seasons.

he could maybe turn into a really good player if he can get better at shooting from 3. His form doesn’t look too bad so it’s definitely possible that could happen.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-03-2021, 07:21 AM
I will say I’m a big fan of what Segun is doing in his league at his age though. I really am curious to see his measurements at the combine. I’m pretty sure he isn’t going to do the athletic portion if he does even show up at the combine but if he did do that portion that would be very interesting to look at also.

Giddey is also kinda interesting to me at our pick.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-03-2021, 12:58 PM

:tu I endorse this endorsement.

BackHome
06-03-2021, 04:34 PM
If you like Kai then understand he is a project probably take longer then Luka so 3-4 years before you would see a return

1. Moody upgrade at SG
2. Sengun extremely smart player great fundamentals need to see his measurable in Draft combine
3. Giddey same as Sengun
4. Franz same as Giddey and Sengun
5. Bouknight if they thinking of moving from Walker this makes sense

rjv
06-03-2021, 05:20 PM
right now, pre-combine, my wish list is:

1) Moses Moody
2) Usman Garuba
3) Corey Kispert
4) Josh Giddey
5) Alperen Sengun

wild card: Jalen Johnson (if he starts to fall on draft day)

DesignatedT
06-03-2021, 05:37 PM
Bouknight
Barnes
Moody
Mann
Wagner

Not really taking into account the current roster configuration. I'm hoping the Spurs move a couple guys including breaking up our current guard rotation.

rjv
06-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Bouknight
Barnes
Moody
Mann
Wagner

Not really taking into account the current roster configuration. I'm hoping the Spurs move a couple guys including breaking up our current guard rotation.

Barnes would be in my top 5 but I just don't think he'll be there at 12 so I didn't include him. It's also why I didn't include Wagner.

Em-City
06-04-2021, 12:59 AM
Hey Dejounte - you've sold me on wagner, but surely, if Sengun is still on the board, he's the better player for the spurs, right?

Dejounte
06-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Hey Dejounte (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=51342) - you've sold me on wagner, but surely, if Sengun is still on the board, he's the better player for the spurs, right?

Sengun's skill level and feel for the game can't be ignored, but it's hard for me to get past his potential limitations as a full-time C. If he can be a little more versatile than that, I can buy him being a better player than Wagner. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he was drafted with Wagner there.

rascal
06-05-2021, 09:51 AM

No, most of his shots are dunks and he isn't going to get those in the NBA like he did in college. Also lacks explosiveness for the NBA's game.

Dex
06-05-2021, 09:55 AM
No, most of his shots are dunks and he isn't going to get those in the NBA like he did in college. Also lacks explosiveness for the NBA's game.

He can shoot.

He doesn't shoot a lot, but last season he shot 38% on 1.2 attempts per game. He needs to pump those numbers up, but he can shoot.

Dejounte
06-05-2021, 10:11 AM
That's one shot per game. 38% on those many attempts isn't special. In fact, that's when you rely on watching if his form is good and consistent. It isnt.

Guess I need to make a video to prove it.

rascal
06-05-2021, 12:05 PM
I feel like Wagner will drop, as lottery teams are hunting for stars, and will be there for San Antonio. He's also a guy who is likely to stick and not agitate to go to LA or whatever.

Too slow for the nba. Good college game going to the basket, not going to be easy in the nba. Looks weak

rascal
06-05-2021, 12:06 PM
He can shoot.

He doesn't shoot a lot, but last season he shot 38% on 1.2 attempts per game. He needs to pump those numbers up, but he can shoot.

That's bad as those numbers will fall even further in the more difficult NBA.

rascal
06-05-2021, 12:08 PM
I like Moses Moody. looks like an NBA player, smooth shot and has quickness.

Dex
06-05-2021, 07:10 PM
That's one shot per game. 38% on those many attempts isn't special. In fact, that's when you rely on watching if his form is good and consistent. It isnt.

Guess I need to make a video to prove it.

That's bad as those numbers will fall even further in the more difficult NBA.

Lots of players come in with a "broken shot" and become a reliable shooters. Tony and Kawhi both managed to make it work.

Not saying Kai will ever be on that same level...just saying he knows how to shoot a basketball. He's not a guy like Poeltl who seems afraid to take a legitimate jump shot even if he is 8 feet away.

alfahdlan
06-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Too slow for the nba. Good college game going to the basket, not going to be easy in the nba. Looks weak
When I go to “Tankathon” to compare players there are only 2 stats I look at. They are WS/40 and BPM. I observed NBA stars tend to have high stats of those 2 in college. So far Kispert and Wagner have relatively high score of those two including Butler and Duarte

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-07-2021, 03:16 PM
I think Jalen Johnson could be a good prospect, too. He'd have to spend a couple of years developing, I think, but his raw abilities are there.

That "potential" is there. We loves us some potential.

itzsoweezee
06-07-2021, 03:40 PM
Wagner is going to be a bust. I’m calling that shit now

ginobilized
06-07-2021, 04:39 PM
Wagner is going to be a bust. I’m calling that shit now

I could see him going that way, too, or being Mike Dunleavy Jr. pt 2 as a ceiling. I trust the Spurs to sniff out the right player.

rjv
06-07-2021, 04:52 PM
spent some time watching garuba and sengun videos this weekend, plan to watch some giddey and wagner tonight.

BackHome
06-07-2021, 06:28 PM
So what are your thoughts on. Garuba and Sengun?

widowmaker
06-07-2021, 09:13 PM
Kai's measurables are likely to be off the charts at the combine.

I'm not that big on measurables but many GMs are.

That's a big reason Kai probably won't be available at 12.

I think hes got the potential to be a similar player to christian woods.

Big Empty
06-07-2021, 09:51 PM
Tre Mann

keithington1
06-07-2021, 10:29 PM
I like Moody Kispert Kai Jones right now. I’m down on Sengun watching these playoffs. Giddey might be a liability with his defense and shooting. I hope Moody is more like 6’7” 6’8”. Murray Vassel Moody Johnson starting lineup would be sexy. Let’s have Kispert shoot 10 3s a game off the bench. Spurs could develop Kai Jones to play like Siakam. Samanic and Kai Jones would be a solid pairing. Wagner would be fourth but he makes me nervous because he doesn’t seem to have much iso potential.

rjv
06-08-2021, 08:45 AM
So what are your thoughts on. Garuba and Sengun?

Garuba has a great wingspan and he really can stay in front of his man, moves well laterally and is a solid rim protector. One thing I can see that he would instantly help the spurs with is rebounding. He's ferocious on the boards. Offensively, I think he has potential because his free throw form is not all that bad despite his inconsistency at the line - and he can hit the three from time to time. Still, his offense is mostly dunks and layups-and his passing, which is surprisingly good. He's a good athlete but I'd love to know what his vertical is at. I would rather have Garuba than Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson.

Sengun is the exact opposite. Solid on the offensive side of the ball, with the potential to become a solid three point shooter because he's a good free-throw shooter and can hit the three, but he has a strange shot so he'd need some time with Chip. He has great footwork in the paint and gets to the line a lot. He's nowhere near as athletic as Garuba (or the physical specimen) but this shows up more on the defensive side. I also think Garuba is the better passer.

Also, I think Garuba would be able to contribute more minutes right away. And his level of competition, playing in the Euro League, is clearly better than the level of competition Sengun has faced.

As a fan, I know the Spurs need offense but Garuba can really help the Spurs when one considers just how many points in the paint the Spurs gace up last season. Garuba would really help the team in two areas where the team suffered too often-rebounding and rim protection.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Garuba has a great wingspan and he really can stay in front of his man, moves well laterally and is a solid rim protector. One thing I can see that he would instantly help the spurs with is rebounding. He's ferocious on the boards. Offensively, I think he has potential because his free throw form is not all that bad despite his inconsistency at the line - and he can hit the three from time to time. Still, his offense is mostly dunks and layups-and his passing, which is surprisingly good. He's a good athlete but I'd love to know what his vertical is at. I would rather have Garuba than Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson.

Sengun is the exact opposite. Solid on the offensive side of the ball, with the potential to become a solid three point shooter because he's a good free-throw shooter and can hit the three, but he has a strange shot so he'd need some time with Chip. He has great footwork in the paint and gets to the line a lot. He's nowhere near as athletic as Garuba (or the physical specimen) but this shows up more on the defensive side. I also think Garuba is the better passer.

Also, I think Garuba would be able to contribute more minutes right away. And his level of competition, playing in the Euro League, is clearly better than the level of competition Sengun has faced.

As a fan, I know the Spurs need offense but Garuba can really help the Spurs when one considers just how many points in the paint the Spurs gace up last season. Garuba would really help the team in two areas where the team suffered too often-rebounding and rim protection.

I like Garuba too. More than most seem to do anyway. I've watched him a few times during the season and my observations are similar to yours. That said, everything you've described about his game projects as a small ball center type and I'm afraid this would end up being his NBA position, which would greatly undermine his value. If he could develop his offensive skills enough to survive as a 4, while bringing that nasty defense, he'd be well worth a mid-late lottery pick, with an outside chance to develop into a Siakam type.

rjv
06-08-2021, 09:50 AM
I like Garuba too. More than most seem to do anyway. I've watched him a few times during the season and my observations are similar to yours. That said, everything you've described about his game projects as a small ball center type and I'm afraid this would end up being his NBA position, which would greatly undermine his value. If he could develop his offensive skills enough to survive as a 4, while bringing that nasty defense, he'd be well worth a mid-late lottery pick, with an outside chance to develop into a Siakam type.

exactly. that's the risk/reward with garuba. can he develop his offense? because he'd be great defensively, and very versatile. he hasn't grown any over the last two years so i think, at 19, he's done growing. of course, that wingspan helps.

The Truth #6
06-08-2021, 10:24 AM
I go back and forth with Garuba. He’s done well in Spain at a young age. Has some feel for the game, but not a huge amount. Great defender. Isn’t soft. Rises to the challenge in big games, it seems. He is the perfect size for the modern NBA. He even speaks Spanish!

But his offense. That’s the rub. I agree that I prefer him to Kai or Jackson. I think if the team had better shooters and passers, then I would feel better about taking him at 12. He seems like a player we could use in two years but have other more important pieces to figure out first. Because I don’t see him as a star. You’re banking on 3 and (crazy) D.

rankingtear
06-08-2021, 10:44 AM
I can see Garuba playing in this playoffs at 19. 6-8 230 with good defensive instinct and switchable.

John B
06-10-2021, 02:59 PM
I think hes got the potential to be a similar player to christian woods.
I’m getting the same vibes. I hope they are not wrong and pass up on him. Kai has great motors, athleticism off the roof and can hit the 3.

John B
06-10-2021, 03:09 PM
I don’t know what they will do with Demar, but Wagner, Giddey and Moody could all fill that spot, especially if Rudy decided to leave as well. But I see Kai Jones with the biggest upside as a freak athlete who can potentially shoot outside.

Dejounte
06-10-2021, 03:42 PM
I don’t know what they will do with Demar, but Wagner, Giddey and Moody could all fill that spot, especially if Rudy decided to leave as well. But I see Kai Jones with the biggest upside as a freak athlete who can potentially shoot outside.

Do people not see what’s going on with Giannis? If Kai’s best case scenario is that, what makes anyone want to build around such a flawed archetype? This is going off the 1/100,000,000th chance that he even reaches half the player Giannis is.

John B
06-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Do people not see what’s going on with Giannis? If Kai’s best case scenario is that, what makes anyone want to build around such a flawed archetype? This is going off the 1/100,000,000th chance that he even reaches half the player Giannis is.
He doesn’t need to be Giannis. If Kai is anything close to Christian Wood, then we found our future starting C, again I’m not onboard with Poeltl. Kai is a modern big who is more what Spurs need right now. While Wagner, Giddey fills Demar spot. Devin would be playing some SG with Patty potentially leaving. I’m just saying it would defend what they do with the expiring contracts or vice-versa how that would affect who they draft.

John B
06-10-2021, 04:09 PM
Off topic, so you think Giannis is not capable of winning a ring. LeBron didn’t have outside shot until recently. His 3 rings, he didn’t have consistent outside shot. I admit he needed a Wade, Kyrie (I think was the Finals MVP) and Davis. But that’s what probably Giannis is missing. Middleton is not Kyrie, Wade or Davis.

The Truth #6
06-10-2021, 04:25 PM
Back to Garuba. Defensively I think he can guard small forwards. But you couldn’t ever play him alongside Yak. But a front court of Dieng, Luka, and Garuba? Defensively, that’s interesting.

John B
06-10-2021, 04:36 PM
Back to Garuba. Defensively I think he can guard small forwards. But you couldn’t ever play him alongside Yak. But a front court of Dieng, Luka, and Garuba? Defensively, that’s interesting.

Because Demar and Jakob are the odd-men and keeping the Spurs from playing modern NBA ball. I hope they address that this off season at the FA and draft.

duncan2150
06-10-2021, 04:40 PM

Nice post

i was thinking the same about a Garuba Jakob lineup but the way garuba was hitting some threes at the end of the season (2 attempts per game with a 34% on the season that's pretty good imo), i think you could play them together.

The Truth #6
06-10-2021, 04:41 PM
Because Demar and Jakob are the odd-men and keeping the Spurs from playing modern NBA ball. I hope they address that this off season at the FA and draft.

Sure. I don’t know if Garuba plays a modern brand, but his defensive versatility could allow us to play a brutal defensive lineup. Those three plus DJ/White/Vassell? Yes, huge problems on offense most likely but could be impressive on D. And actually, though a lottery team most likely, could still be better than this year. Anyway. Just random thoughts.

rjv
06-10-2021, 05:03 PM

i'm still torn on garuba but what keeps bringing me back to him is that he really could be a defensive gem, especially if on the court with derrick and dj at the same time. and he could play immediately.

Mr. Body
06-10-2021, 05:38 PM
Off topic, so you think Giannis is not capable of winning a ring. LeBron didn’t have outside shot until recently. His 3 rings, he didn’t have consistent outside shot. I admit he needed a Wade, Kyrie (I think was the Finals MVP) and Davis. But that’s what probably Giannis is missing. Middleton is not Kyrie, Wade or Davis.

Giannis won't win a ring not because he's not good enough, but because he won't abase himself like LeBron and Durant did by forming or forcing superteams.

John B
06-10-2021, 06:00 PM
Giannis won't win a ring not because he's not good enough, but because he won't abase himself like LeBron and Durant did by forming or forcing superteams.
Touche

Sugus
06-10-2021, 06:44 PM

:lol I understand not liking Jakob, but twisting reality to shit on him is a bit over the top. Tell me, do the Jazz play "modern NBA ball"? It's perfectly fine to dislike him, or say you'd want a stretch 5 instead of Poeltl, but to act like he's on the same level of archaism as DeRozan is laughable, tbh.

That said, I wouldn't even build a roster with two starting C-sized bigs today, even if both could shoot. The Mavs' use of Boban and Zingis on their recent series was as close as you can get to that, and it wasn't very pretty (but was effective at making the Clips adjust their game to Boban's presence). Can Garuba replace Poeltl, would be the better question, I haven't watched him enough to know. But I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a C in this draft if they project as both defensive-minded and shooting potential (though they'd have to have some serious question marks for such a coveted archetype to fall to #12... ehhh).

rjv
06-10-2021, 06:46 PM
the idea of a stretch three is hit and miss. brooks lopez helped the bucks obliterate the heat but he's hurting the bucks in this series against the nets.

dbestpro
06-11-2021, 06:15 AM
Wagner reminds me of Andrei Kirilenko.

ginobilized
06-11-2021, 11:48 AM

That would be great, I don't see the elite defensive potential. He could be good, but, not that great. I see more Mike Dunleavy, Jr. in Wagner.
He seems like such an obvious Spurs pick that I bet they don't pick him.

R. DeMurre
06-12-2021, 01:15 AM

And that was one player I'd always hoped would become a Spur.

Prime BEEF
06-12-2021, 08:50 PM
And that was one player I'd always hoped would become a Spur.
Same here. During his prime he was a great utility player to have on the roster

Russ
06-12-2021, 09:42 PM

Kirlenko was a better shooter, a better offensive player.

Wager appears to be a much better defensive player.

All in all, the comparison is enticing but not exactly on all fours.

Each might be (or have been) a nice contributor for the Spurs (depending upon the alternatives).

james evans
06-12-2021, 09:47 PM
I like Dayron Sharpe. Athletic center that can hit the open 3, but Roy Williams didn't let him shoot it last season.

R. DeMurre
06-13-2021, 09:43 AM
Kirlenko was a better shooter, a better offensive player.

Wager appears to be a much better defensive player.

All in all, the comparison is enticing but not exactly on all fours.

Each might be (or have been) a nice contributor for the Spurs (depending upon the alternatives).

Kirilenko had career percentages of 31% from three and an eFG% of 50.2%. Wagner, in two college seasons, shot 32.5% from three with an eFG% of 53.5%. Kirilenko was more of an assist guy, and a better shot blocker. I think the thing that makes the comparison a good one is both guys have that 5x5 potential, and both are relatively low usage rate % type of players who make their teams better as glue guys rather than #1 options.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2021, 01:24 PM
Jalen/Giddey/Moody going into Draft month..

Atl Spur
06-24-2021, 01:29 PM
Garuba.......

Trill Clinton
06-24-2021, 02:19 PM
Switched my pick to Moody since we're at 12.

GreekSpursfan
06-24-2021, 03:18 PM
Wagner is Dejan Bodiroga, give me Wagner, i like him.

Dejounte
06-24-2021, 08:51 PM
So is Kispert the 5th option for most people? It’s sad he didn’t receive a single vote out of 103 people.

Ocotillo
06-25-2021, 12:38 PM
So is Kispert the 5th option for most people? It’s sad he didn’t receive a single vote out of 103 people. He is probably the least exciting. Looks like he would be an NBA player that comes in and is a good shooter but I think the voters (at least myself) are looking for a more complete player or rolling the dice on a high ceiling guy. I went with Wagner only because he is a bit of a Swiss Army knife type.