PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Arenas burns Spurs as trip ends with loss

Spurzilla
11-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Arenas burns Spurs as trip ends with loss

Web Posted: 11/13/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LINK (http://www.mysanantonio.com/global-includes/printstory.jsp?path=/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111305.1C.BKNspurs.wizards.gamer.20dcf84.html)

WASHINGTON — As if the Spurs hadn't already seen enough — the drive through four defenders; the countless jump shots raining over the top of their heads; Tim Duncan missing layup after layup — Gilbert Arenas provided one more reason why Saturday night belonged to him.

With 2.6 seconds left in the third quarter, Arenas took an inbounds pass, sped downcourt and pulled up in a crowd of four Spurs. He released his 29-foot shot then hung in the air just long enough to see the ball bank through the rim.

As the sellout crowd of 20,173 roared, Arenas and the rest of the Washington Wizards skipped off the MCI Center floor. Robert Horry cocked his head and stared into the stands. Duncan bowed his and trudged to the bench.

The shot accounted for only three of Arenas' 43 points in Washington's 110-95 victory. Yet, more than any other moment, it symbolized the Spurs' frustration.

No matter whom they threw on the Wizards' point guard, no matter from where he shot, they couldn't slow him.

"I was in the groove," Arenas said. "I'm a scorer and tonight I had it going, so I kept scoring."

Arenas scored more than any other NBA player has scored in a game this season. Although he fell a single point shy of his career high, his performance was as efficient as it was prolific. He made 15 of 20 shots, including 11 of his first 12.

As a result, the Spurs jetted home with another lopsided loss to bookend their five-game, eight-day trip. Routed in Dallas a week earlier, they strung together three consecutive victories before failing to keep pace with the Wizards in the fourth quarter.

One night after hanging 137 points on Seattle, Washington hardly cooled off against the Spurs. The Wizards shot 55.1 percent, including 68 percent in the third quarter when Arenas scored 18 of his points.

"Tonight it didn't matter who was playing defense," said Tony Parker, who had the misfortune of sharing much of that duty with Bruce Bowen. "He was on fire. I think he remembered that game last year when he went 0 for 13."

Arenas actually went 0 for 12 when the Wizards visited the SBC Center last season, but who's counting? Afterward, he shook his head in frustration and said, "Ever since I've been in the league, I don't think I've ever shot over 32 percent against that team."

So much for that stat. It was Duncan, instead, who saw his shooting percentage plummet Saturday. Errant as Arenas was accurate, he missed 15 of 18 shots. He even struggled somewhat at the foul line (5 of 8), where he began the evening shooting 90 percent.

The Wizards rarely double-teamed Duncan, instead rotating Brendan Haywood, Jared Jeffries and Michael Ruffin on him. Duncan grew increasingly frustrated not only with the officiating, but also with his inability to make even a layup: More than half his misses seemed to be at the rim.

"It was just a long night," Duncan said. "Things happen. ... We compounded them playing well with myself playing very badly."

Manu Ginobili, meanwhile, looked like his old self for the first time this season. He led the Spurs with 28 points on only 12 shots. Parker scored 23 points for the third game in a row, but that was barely half of Arenas' output.

At times, it didn't seem to matter not only which Spurs player was guarding Arenas, but also how many of them. Once, Arenas went by Bowen then split Parker and Duncan before banking in a reverse layup as Rasho Nesterovic lunged at him.

If Arenas wasn't shooting over the Spurs, he was usually running past them. Even after made shots, he relentlessly pushed the ball upcourt.

Parker drove for a layup with 2.6 seconds left in the third quarter to cut Washington's lead to 82-78. Arenas took that as his cue.

He raced downcourt and rose up. His 3-pointer banged off the backboard and through the rim. The crowd roared. The Spurs looked on in disbelief.

"We realized then," Ginobili said, "it was going to be really hard to win."

Spurzilla
11-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Spurs notebook:
Washington wears down Spurs at end, trip ends 3-2

Web Posted: 11/13/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LINK (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111305.9C.BKNspurs.notebook.254676e.html)

WASHINGTON — The Spurs concluded their longest road trip in almost eight years the same way they began it: On the wrong end of a rout.

Saturday's 110-95 loss to the Washington Wizards only gave the Spurs that much more reason to look forward to returning home. They finished the five-game, eight-day trip 3-2. Their other loss, a 19-point setback, came a week earlier in Dallas.

While the Spurs have played more consecutive games on the road in recent seasons when the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo moved into the SBC Center, each year they made at least two trips home in between games to practice or rest.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich refused to blame Saturday's performance on the team's travels.

"Everybody has games on the road, stretches that might be tough," Popovich said. "That's irrelevant. You come to play and try to do the best job you can.

"I thought our effort was great. I didn't think we played very smart. There were a lot of situations where we had a two- or four-point lead and turned (the ball) over or took a quick shot."

The Wizards, however, said they were fortunate to meet the Spurs at the end of the trip.

"We know that they're the champions, but we thought that they might be tired," Washington point guard Gilbert Arenas said. "And we had our crowd behind us, so we said, 'Let's try to keep it close, and then let's go for it at the end.'"

And that's pretty much what happened. The Wizards outscored the Spurs 28-17 in the final 12 minutes, 2.6 seconds.

On the mend: Brent Barry and Michael Finley each missed their third consecutive game. Popovich remains hopeful both will be able to play Tuesday against Atlanta.

Barry, who will have his back examined by the team's doctors Monday, has done a little shooting in recent days.

Waiting in the wings: Rookie forward Fabricio Oberto has averaged 4.4 minutes the past five games. Although Oberto, like the Spurs' other newcomers, needs to better learn the team's system, Rasho Nesterovic's performance also has something to do with his lack of playing time.

"Rasho beat everyone out and won that starting (center) spot," Popovich said. "Since Nazr (Mohammed) came back, he's played well. If anything, we're trying to get Nazr more minutes. At this point, they're just ahead of (Oberto)."

Brown-out: Larry Brown has yet to win a game as head coach of the New York Knicks. But Popovich thinks Brown will eventually have his new team pointed in the right direction.

"Given time, he'll get it straight," Popovich said.

Popovich has no interest in getting into the rebuilding business — unless Tim Duncan joins him.

"I'm smart enough not to ever get into that situation," Popovich said. "My moon is aligned very closely with Timmy's. I'm waiting for his retirement announcement because mine will be 30 seconds after it.

"I have no need to prove this, that or the other by going to this, that or the other city: 'Oh, he did it again, so he's for real.' For real can kiss my ass."

No faking allowed: Count Popovich among those happy with the NBA's new inactive list.

In the past, teams often created fake injuries to keep players on the injured list. Any player placed on the list had to remain there for a minimum of five games. The new list can be changed nightly.

"I love it," Popovich said. "It relieves the guilt of 30 coaching staffs and medical staffs and (general manager) staffs."

RashoFan
11-13-2005, 04:09 AM
why don't you just give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it....
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/RashoFan/billy_crystal1.jpg

spursupporter
11-13-2005, 04:39 AM
Relax spurs fans...when the wizards visit the SBC center, they would know who owned who!!!

sanman53
11-13-2005, 08:33 AM
"I'm smart enough not to ever get into that situation," Popovich said. "My moon is aligned very closely with Timmy's. I'm waiting for his retirement announcement because mine will be 30 seconds after it.

"I have no need to prove this, that or the other by going to this, that or the other city: 'Oh, he did it again, so he's for real.' For real can kiss my ass."

Pop is so funny! I dread to see that day, but why talk about it now.

Gummi
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
That's excactly what I'm predicting for Pop. When Duncan retires, so will he. They're a great match and always have been.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2005, 02:13 PM
And people make fun of Phil Jackson for being a gravy trainer...

Gummi
11-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about Aggie, but Pop took over before Duncan came as you probably know. Pop is getting up there in years, he's born in 1948 which makes him 57, if I'm correct. So he doesn't have 20 years left in him to coach so I think it's a great idea to retire when Duncan retires. Two great careers ending at the same time.

grjr
11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
In the past, teams often created fake injuries to keep players on the injured list. Any player placed on the list had to remain there for a minimum of five games. The new list can be changed nightly.

"I love it," Popovich said. "It relieves the guilt of 30 coaching staffs and medical staffs and (general manager) staffs."

But it's a real setback as far as funding is concerned for researchers seeking a cure for Plantar Fasciitis and Left Knee Tendonitis.

ShoogarBear
11-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about Aggie, but Pop took over before Duncan came as you probably know.

Yeah, and what did he do then?

The gist of AHF is right. Pop is going to the HoF, but if he retires when Tim does, he won't have the credential to be on the same level as PJax as a coach.

Gummi
11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Why should he continue after Duncan retires? Like I said earlier, he's 57 years old and I'm sure he doesn't want to be coaching til he dies. My guess is that Duncan will retire after 5 or 6 more seasons, so that would make Pop 62-64 years old. I'm also sure that he wants to enjoy life in his latter years without the preasure of the NBA life.

Don't get fooled about Jackson's return, it's 100% for the money. Do you really think he's comming back because he wants to be with Kobe and his madness for three more years? Please, it's about the $$$$. I think it's smart on Pop's half to call it quits when Duncan does. They've been together since day one and it would be a perfect ending.

ShoogarBear
11-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Nevertheless, Jackson's credentials will be stronger than Pop's. He at least did it with different players. Pop would just be known as a lower-tier Red Auerbach (he could only win with Russell, but Russell showed he could win without Auerbach).

angel_luv
11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
"Rasho beat everyone out and won that starting (center) spot," Popovich said. "Since Nazr (Mohammed) came back, he's played well. If anything, we're trying to get Nazr more minutes. At this point, they're just ahead of (Oberto)."

I knew Sho would do it. :elephant

I'm so proud and happy!