PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick: "Tim Duncan Is Top 5 All-Time."

Thomas82
05-26-2021, 10:40 AM
A lot of us have felt this way for the longest time, but this was the first time I ever heard anybody from the media say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12iklCLBJc

Thomas82
05-26-2021, 10:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWy3Z8z7-8w

Russ
05-26-2021, 10:53 AM
If winning is the standard, if a winning building block is the standard, then Tim could well be be top five of all time.

(And that should be the standard.)

MultiTroll
05-26-2021, 11:05 AM
As other stars (legit or media created) fail to duplicate what Tim did his worth may continue to grow with some mainstreamers like Patrick.

All done without aid of rigged reffing, rigged trades. Make Tims accomplishments far more valuable.

The Kobme comparison is a joke. Kombe might be compared with Manu.

Curry is awesome on O. It ends there. Without the rigged reffing and roster not sure he wins more then 1 Championship. We see what he does now (out of playoffs).

lefty
05-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Curry is awesome on O. It ends there. Without the rigged reffing and roster not sure he wins more then 1 Championship. We see what he does now (out of playoffs).
To be fair, Spteh is limited defensively by his small frame tbh, but he tries

rjv
05-26-2021, 12:53 PM
I caught that segment last week. Patrick was gushing over Tim; it was one of the first times a national media talking head not named skip bayless heaped so much praise on a spur.

daslicer
05-26-2021, 01:28 PM
If winning is the standard, if a winning building block is the standard, then Tim could well be be top five of all time.

(And that should be the standard.)

He's easily top 5 when you look at his advance stats, and all the accolades that he has won. He has the most all-nba defensive appearances. He's tied with Kobe for most combined all time NBA and defensive appearances. He's the all time playoff leader for blocks, and double doubles. There are several other achievements Tim has that I'm not going to list but when you go down the list very few players can match his resume.

TDomination
05-26-2021, 01:49 PM
He's definitely top 5 on my list. So i agree with Dan Patrick.

Texas_Ranger
05-26-2021, 02:06 PM
Every guy with brain knows this.

The Truth #6
05-26-2021, 02:08 PM
He's easily top 5 when you look at his advance stats, and all the accolades that he has won. He has the most all-nba defensive appearances. He's tied with Kobe for most combined all time NBA and defensive appearances. He's the all time playoff leader for blocks, and double doubles. There are several other achievements Tim has that I'm not going to list but when you go down the list very few players can match his resume.

I think he should be considered the best defensive player of all time, or at least in the short list. What's shocking is that he anchored some of the best defenses of all time over several years and years, and yet never won DPOY because he didn't get enough blocked shots.

Thomas82
05-26-2021, 02:20 PM
As other stars (legit or media created) fail to duplicate what Tim did his worth may continue to grow with some mainstreamers like Patrick.

All done without aid of rigged reffing, rigged trades. Make Tims accomplishments far more valuable.

The Kobme comparison is a joke. Kombe might be compared with Manu.

It's even more impressive when you think about how some of those things were rigged to rein in Tim's dominance.

daslicer
05-26-2021, 02:24 PM
I think he should be considered the best defensive player of all time, or at least in the short list. What's shocking is that he anchored some of the best defenses of all time over several years and years, and yet never won DPOY because he didn't get enough blocked shots.

The problem was during Duncan's prime years there was no analytics movement. Whoever lead the league in blocks or steals or rebounds would always get the DPOY. If advanced stats had existed back then he would have won at least 1 DPOY and possibly even more.

spurraider21
05-26-2021, 02:39 PM
The problem was during Duncan's prime years there was no analytics movement. Whoever lead the league in blocks or steals or rebounds would always get the DPOY. If advanced stats had existed back then he would have won at least 1 DPOY and possibly even more.
well the year marc gasol won i remember advanced stats were a big part of it

chandler won it once and he was never a big shotblocker either

daslicer
05-26-2021, 03:16 PM
well the year marc gasol won i remember advanced stats were a big part of it

chandler won it once and he was never a big shotblocker either

Key Word Duncan's prime. Duncan's prime wasn't in 2013 when Gasol won the DPOY. Chandler also won the award in 2012 which wasn't Duncan's prime either. During the '00s advanced stats weren't used when it came to winning this award.

Thomas82
05-26-2021, 03:29 PM
Every guy with brain knows this.

Well, you would think that, but common sense is not common these days.

Thomas82
05-26-2021, 09:31 PM
Why was this even a debate? SMH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTzhlU-1-U

Mr. Body
05-26-2021, 09:41 PM
This is why Patrick doesn't work at ESPN anymore. No way in hell would they let a minion of theirs say this.

SpurPadre
05-26-2021, 10:39 PM
ESPN would’ve shamed Patrick for saying that on their watch. He would be made to be the laughingstock of the network. Good thing he’s not there anymore.

lefty20
05-26-2021, 10:40 PM
It is known, tbh.

HankChinaski
05-26-2021, 10:50 PM
Duncan scoring over triple teams (during the not so non Downey soft era of physical play) wasn't boring at all to watch it was straight up mystifying doing that and getting double digits in rebounds a couple assists and several blocks. An he dunk the ball plenty of times.

Cool that DP gives props when due but he never really watched spurs games with his comments.

Thomas82
05-27-2021, 06:42 AM
This is why Patrick doesn't work at ESPN anymore. No way in hell would they let a minion of theirs say this.

ESPN would’ve shamed Patrick for saying that on their watch. He would be made to be the laughingstock of the network. Good thing he’s not there anymore.

All facts!!

PrimeMinister
05-27-2021, 08:01 AM
2003 Duncan was one of the single best players to ever step on the basketball court.

His career is #2 behind Michael.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-27-2021, 11:54 AM
As Dan Patrick alluded to, it's really hard to compare eras when determining the top 5. Bill Russell accumulated 11 championships, but several of those came when the league had only 8 teams, and never more than 14. Doubtful Russell's ring count would have been 11 in today's league. Chamberlain's numbers look great, but he played in an era where there we very few bigs who could challenge him. A young Lew Alcindor outplayed Wilt when he entered the league.

Rummpd
05-27-2021, 08:35 PM
Kareem is true GOAT
Chamberlain second best all time
Jordan third
Russell 4th
Duncan 5th

Just the facts

Thomas82
05-27-2021, 11:35 PM
Kareem is true GOAT
Jordan third
Russell 4th
Duncan 5th

Just the facts

I have those as my top 5, just not in the same order.

NK123
05-28-2021, 02:52 AM
- Jordan
- LeBron
- Duncan
- Magic
- Kareem

exstatic
05-28-2021, 07:50 AM
2003 Duncan was one of the single best players to ever step on the basketball court.

His career is #2 behind Michael.

Yup. Last gasp DRob, skinny 21 YO no jump shot Parker, rookie injured Manu.

acoelho1
05-28-2021, 08:55 AM
I got Duncan at number 6 all time.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Bird
6. Duncan
7. Chamberlain
8. Bryant
9. James
10. Shaq

GreekSpursfan
05-28-2021, 10:03 AM
I absolutely love Timmy but he's not top 5, he's top 10.

John B
05-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Kareem is true GOAT
Jordan third
Russell 4th
Duncan 5th

Just the facts

I like this. I had an argument with a friend, if were to pick a player to build a franchise on? He was quick to say LeBron. Such a millennial. I quipped, if you want drama and not knowing if you still have him the the next year. Duncan has 19 years all playoffs, no drama, golden boy with 5 titles. I’d pick Duncan all day. I’d be seating pretty collecting money all 19 years. That was greatness when you can build a team from ONE guy and make everybody else better. Kobe needed Shaq or Gasol. LeBron?? Not even part of the discussion. If Nephew didn’t miss them free throws? TD had 6 and for sure he’d be top 3 in the discussion. Peace.

daslicer
05-28-2021, 10:59 AM
I like this. I had an argument with a friend, if were to pick a player to build a franchise on? He was quick to say LeBron. Such a millennial. I quipped, if you want drama and not knowing if you still have him the the next year. Duncan has 19 years all playoffs, no drama, golden boy with 5 titles. I’d pick Duncan all day. I’d be seating pretty collecting money all 19 years. That was greatness when you can build a team from ONE guy and make everybody else better. Kobe needed Shaq or Gasol. LeBron?? Not even part of the discussion. If Nephew didn’t miss them free throws? TD had 6 and for sure he’d be top 3 in the discussion. Peace.

Was he millennial or GenZ. I"m just asking because I'm in a millennial who is in his late 30's. I feel the older millennials view the game differently than the younger ones .

John B
05-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Was he millennial or GenZ. I"m just asking because I'm in a millennial who is in his late 30's. I feel the older millennials view the game differently than the younger ones .
Well technically he’s a Gen X like me, but he’s such a big fan of LeBron that’s why I call him millennial. I’m surprised because he played in college, so I would’ve thought he’d appreciate the team player than individual highlights. I’m not as good. I play at the gym but I always like the Spurs management. I like the Jazz pnr Sloan, minus Malone of course, but I hated him because he knocked DRob out :lol, but surprisingly I prefer Malone than today’s divas. Back then it was the competition, but now it’s the pussy move that I don’t like, the bought championships. That’s what I associate the millennials, easy money, not wanting to invest time.

Thomas82
05-28-2021, 05:11 PM
I can't put anybody over TD that wasn't a 2-way player, and his body of work makes it impossible to keep him out of the top 5. Also, the fact that he played the last 16 years of his career on 1 leg only enhances his greatness in my eyes.

BillMc
05-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Kareem is true GOAT
Jordan third
Russell 4th
Duncan 5th

Just the facts

Not quite sure I agree with the order, but those are my top 5 too. (Magic is 6). Cheers bro. :clap

BillMc
05-28-2021, 06:24 PM
I got Duncan at number 6 all time.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Bird
6. Duncan
7. Chamberlain
8. Bryant
9. James
10. Shaq

Great list, but Shaq was better than Kobe. Shaq was unstoppable in that 2000- 2002 run. Teams were triple teaming Shaq and Kobe still didn't shoot a great percentage. I have Kobe in the lower part of the top 20. He wasn't particularly efficient and his tragic death (and being a Laker) has cast a shadow higher than his actual play (in my opinion).

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-29-2021, 12:43 AM
PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Lebron
PF: Merlin
C: Lew

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2021, 02:36 AM
cant have lebron above td when his 1-2 against duncan in finals

as for russell above duncan, i also have a problem with that

Thomas82
05-29-2021, 06:51 AM
cant have lebron above td when his 1-2 against duncan in finals

as for russell above duncan, i also have a problem with that

Right on!! LeBron also had a losing regular season record against TD as well. As for Russell, he was a 1-way player.

lefty
05-30-2021, 01:47 AM
1. Lebron
2 . Duncan
3. Bird
4. Hakeem
5. Kareem
6. Wilt
7. Magic
8. Shaq
9. Isiah
10. KD
11. Steph
12. Pippen
13. Kobe
14. Skinny Ben Wallace
15. Jordan/Demar Derozan

daslicer
05-30-2021, 02:20 AM
Well technically he’s a Gen X like me, but he’s such a big fan of LeBron that’s why I call him millennial. I’m surprised because he played in college, so I would’ve thought he’d appreciate the team player than individual highlights. I’m not as good. I play at the gym but I always like the Spurs management. I like the Jazz pnr Sloan, minus Malone of course, but I hated him because he knocked DRob out :lol, but surprisingly I prefer Malone than today’s divas. Back then it was the competition, but now it’s the pussy move that I don’t like, the bought championships. That’s what I associate the millennials, easy money, not wanting to invest time.

I would say generational wise it's divided when it comes to millennials on how they view Lebron. I'm an 80's born millennial and I have noticed with the 80's batch that the majority don't like Lebron. Now with the 90's millennial batch that's where he gets the most support since they watched him growing up as a kid so he comes across more of god like figure much like MJ did for me as a kid. I would say the one trait Lebron definitely carries that millennials have is that we are a generation that likes to do things in large groups together and is obsessed with approval and attention on social media. Granted I'm not like that but the majority of millennials are. I have to say though it hurts from a generation pride perspective but the millennial superstars are probably the most least likable in NBA history. Guys like Lebron,Harden,Durant,Kyrie,Davis,Kawhi,Westbrook,C P3,Curry are all annoying.

Guys like Giannis,Jokic are either late generation millennial or cusp Generation Z. These two are very likable and hopefully a generational change going forward. I find the young generation Z group coming into the league as more likable. I'm hoping they will be the opposite of the Millennial generation stars that preceded them but we'll see.