PDA

View Full Version : I'd still take Parker over Arenas

smeagol
11-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Both are amazing players. Due to their age, they will dominate the league in years to come. Their main differences in their game, IMO, are:

1) Both like to penetrate but that's TP's trademark and he is better at it. Arenas is good at it too, but TP is the best in the league diong it.

2) Arenas jumpshot is much better (can anybody deny this?). The thing is he cannot consistently shoot like he did last night day in and day out (somebody pointed out he went 0-12 the last time we played the Wiz).

How many 15-20 ft jumpshots + 3s did he convert in one night? Unreal.

3) i like TPs defense over Gilbert's

4) TP plays with Duncan and that can only help

Rummpd
11-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I disagree. I truly like Parker, who may still have a greater upside, but right now I would take Arenas.

Bruno
11-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Arenas is a better player but I take TP over him for the same reason I take Billups over Marbury.
Some people on this board find that Parker doesn't pass the ball enough, you must see Arenas it's worse.

The main difference, it's when they are cold, Parker shoots less and pass the ball, Arenas continues to shoot. Parker is sometimes with 4-14 FG but never with 6-25 like Arenas.

The only thing that bothered me with Parker this year is that he mades too much turnover. After watching more closely, this increase is mainly due to bad pass not ballhandling, so he will commit less turnover when chemistry will improve.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Parker's job in this offense isn't to distribute, that's still on Duncan.

As much as Tony has improved, I'd still take Gilbert over him.

Moot point though...

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2005, 11:44 AM
i take arenas, he can do anything parker do, as least this guy can shoot unlike parker.

T Park
11-13-2005, 11:51 AM
the guy can shoot because he was brought up in a good program like Arizona.

Hes also just a tad older than Parker.

Once again, give Engelland time with Parker, and Parker will be shooting as consistently as Arenas.

picnroll
11-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Actually Arenas wasn't a real good outside shooter when he came into the league, albeit better than Parker was. The guy is rlentless in working on his game. Maybe Spurs should have gone after him in the Kidd-fiasco summer. A Parker/Arenas/Ginobili rotation would have been sweet.

boutons
11-13-2005, 12:12 PM
"Parker will be shooting as consistently as Arenas."

Due to Tony's lack of natural talent, probably never. It's almost impossible to beat pure talent in full deployement. There's plenty of Arenas-level talent in the NBA, but nearly as many basketball players.

But Tony's "has not yet begun to fight" towards his potential, which includes much more than talent. Like that other mediocre talent John Stockton, Tony has very good shot at Hall of Fame-hood. Playmaking, game flow and control, defense, leadership, out-thinking opponents, discovering and attacking their weaknesses, etc, etc.

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2005, 12:19 PM
parker = HOF material?? no way, tim duncan makes him look to good, and ginoboli covers up his mess

THE X-FACTOR
11-13-2005, 01:40 PM
I'd take Billups over both of them.

romsey31
11-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I'd take Billups over both of them.

Its not even close, Arenas is light yrs better than Parker.

TwoHandJam
11-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Its not even close, Arenas is light yrs better than Parker.
Don't write dumbass takes like that unless you can back them up evidence. Why don't you check out timvp's post on Parker v. Arenas head-to-head stats for all their time in the league before last night. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28865

Even adding last night's game to the total doesn't change things much.

z0sa
11-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Arenas is a much better shooter. Other than that Parker has all the advantages. Still, I'd take Arenas. Imagine him in our system instead of Parker. The way the point guard scores in our system would make Arenas lethal.

xcoriate
11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Arenas may be the worst playmaking PG in the league, he is at least in terms of big nam players IMO. He is a flat out scorer though, and perhaps a bit of a chucker. He got hot last night nothing much you can do.

ALVAREZ6
11-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Arenas is a SG that plays PG.

nkdlunch
11-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Arenas is becoming an all-NBA first team player, he is already a 2nd team player in my book. Parker has ways to go.

Marcus Bryant
11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
It's one thing doing that shit in November, it's quite another doing it in June.

xcoriate
11-13-2005, 09:00 PM
uhh, you need to play better D to deserve NBA 1st team. Unless your Nash.

pjjrfan
11-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Arenas has more talent and is the focal point of his team's offense, on the Spur however, I would take Tony because so far Tony knows his role on this team and that's to get the ball in to Tim and to create when the opportunity arises. Tony is shooting more, I don't know if that is a good thing, only time will tell, but overall his ego hasn't let him try to force Pop's hand in giving him more freedom or to try to take over a game without going through the system. I don't think Arenas would do well in this system. He had problems at Golden State and in Washington he pretty much considers himself the man, something he will never be here as long as No. 21 is around.

I just don't see him being a happy camper, whereas Tony is all too ready to reap the benefits of having TD attract all the attention. Tony was smart enough to push for the extension and avoid FA just to make sure to be a part of this team.

SenorSpur
11-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Arenas emerged as both an all-star last season and consistent 20-point scorer for the Wizards. The hard work he's put into his game is paying off big time. No way he's a PG, he's actually a shooting guard. He creates his own offense and does not create opportunities for others.

For the Spurs team, I'll still take Parker and his abilities to get to the rim, penetrate and dish and score within the framework of the offense.