PDA

View Full Version : Bulls: Tim Duncan once ripped Michael Jordan, praised Stephon Marbury in 1998 interview with Dan Patrick

JohnnyMax
05-26-2021, 02:58 PM
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/tim-duncan-true-feelings-michael-jordan-article-1.2712196

Tim Duncan is a noted recluse who hilariously didn't show up to his own retirement press conference a couple days ago, who rarely opened up any aspects of personal life to the media.

Apparently that wasn't always the case.

The greatest power forward of all-time conducted a rather entertaining interview with Dan Patrick after Duncan's rookie season in 1998, which revealed how the Big Fundamental (who preferred to be called Merlin) found Michael Jordan to be both unlikable and unimpressive, and Stephon Marbury to be "the bomb." It's good stuff. Here are the highlights of the Q&A lifted from Patrick's book published in 2000 called "Outtakes":

Dan Patrick: What's your nickname?

Tim Duncan: The only nickname I've ever had is Merlin, like the magician. I don't know why.

Patrick: You don't know why you're called Merlin?

Duncan: I kinda know. I was a big Magic Johnson fan. And I guess people who knew that gave a name that. …

Patrick: Respect?

Duncan: In that vein. I tried to play like him.

Patrick: What opponent taught you the most last year?

Duncan: Karl Malone used a lot of veteran stuff that I thought was cool. Charles Barkley taught me a lot when I played against him. How he would use his body or use his dribble to get people in there and all that stuff. Veteran moves.

Patrick: Did you ever feel helpless at all last year?

Duncan: The first time I played against Seattle was the only time I felt destroyed. Vin Baker just manhandled me. The whole thing, their double teams, their movement, everything. I must've had eight turnovers. Which isn't a big deal for me because I turn the ball over a lot.

Patrick: How did you start your knife collection?

Duncan: I have always liked knives. Then somebody gave me one. Then somebody gave me another one. Then I liked having them and started buying them. I started finding ones I liked, ones with funky blades.

Patrick: Free association, favorite show?

Duncan: Seinfeld

Patrick: Favorite singers?

Duncan: Don't have one. I like R&B. I listen to music, not singers.

Patrick: Favorite celebrity.

Duncan: You all (at ESPN). After David Robinson, it's you all.

Patrick: That's it. You met Jordan?

Duncan: But Jordan's Jordan. I've always respected him but I've never been a fan of his.

Patrick: Why aren't you a fan of Jordan's?

Duncan: Because everybody else is.

Patrick: Oh, so you don't like Michael Jordan because everybody else does.

Duncan: No, I don't like Michael Jordan because I don't like Michael Jordan. You got me wrong there. I respect Michael Jordan.

Patrick: You respect him. You just don't like him?

Duncan: I'm just somebody that isn't that impressed by him. There really isn't anybody in the world I'm impressed with.

Patrick: Give me three young guys you love watching play?

Duncan: Abdur-Rahim and Stephon Marbury.

Patrick: I love Stephon Marbury.

Duncan: Stephon Marbury is the bomb. He is going to be so good. And let's see. I think Kevin Garnett is going to be really good at some point. But I think the whole. …KG and Kobe are going to be the guys.

Patrick: Do you have to win a title to validate how good you are?

Duncan: Me, I would feel incomplete without it.

lefty
05-26-2021, 03:05 PM
This was never posted before

FrostKing
05-26-2021, 03:11 PM
I'm benching Tim on my All Time team

Arcadian
05-26-2021, 03:12 PM
:lol Tim seems like the kind of guy who would have a knife collection.

lefty
05-26-2021, 03:57 PM
I'm benching Tim on my All Time team
:lol

Dirks_Finale
05-26-2021, 05:55 PM
Marbury :lol

Trainwreck2100
05-26-2021, 06:23 PM
That's not even a diss though he said he didn't like jordan but he respected him.

Dirks_Finale
05-26-2021, 06:38 PM
That's not even a diss though he said he didn't like jordan but he respected him.

And he has said it on camera as well in his rookie year. Which was a pretty bold thing to say as big as MJ was at the time. Not disrespectful, just bold.

Arcadian
05-26-2021, 08:11 PM
It totally makes sense though. If you idolized Magic Johnson for his style of play and demeanor on the court, Jordan was pretty much the antithesis of that.

Duncan is more in the Magic vein - calm/cool, unselfish, loved by his teammates, does whatever the team needs to win (not just scoring).

They even had similar career stats of 19/11 (points/rebounds for Tim, points/assists for Magic) :lol

lefty
05-26-2021, 08:26 PM
It totally makes sense though. If you idolized Magic Johnson for his style of play and demeanor on the court, Jordan was pretty much the antithesis of that.

Duncan is more in the Magic vein - calm/cool, unselfish, loved by his teammates, does whatever the team needs to win (not just scoring).

They even had similar career stats of 19/11 (points/rebounds for Tim, points/assists for Magic) :lol

Yeah Timmy tried to emulate Magic in college too :lol
https://media.tenor.com/images/2a791fc385ff9911271a8f5a13d40368/tenor.gif

Magic is also a big fan of Timmy
When Disney was working on a joint Finals/Spiderman pre-game promo with Magic, Tom Holland and Jon Favreau. Earvin asked them to add Timmy, which they did

Mitch
05-26-2021, 09:30 PM
Yeah Timmy tried to emulate Magic in college too :lol
https://media.tenor.com/images/2a791fc385ff9911271a8f5a13d40368/tenor.gif

Magic is also a big fan of Timmy
When Disney was working on a joint Finals/Spiderman pre-game promo with Magic, Tom Holland and Jon Favreau. Earvin asked them to add Timmy, which they did

Gays like other gays, tbh

FrostKing
05-27-2021, 01:56 AM
Remember this is in 1998. 1 season removed from battling the Tar Heels for 4 seasons.

Duncan finished 5-6 against UNC, with 3 going into OT

lefty
05-27-2021, 07:44 AM
Gays like other gays, tbhTim is not gay

He’s just a cuck

DMC
05-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Just watch Tim's reaction to Jordan's HOF speech to see how he feels about Jordan's "me me me" style. In Jordan's day, Jordan was just a player. A damn good one, but not the god he's become since. Now it seems you cannot find a single flaw in him from people who weren't even alive then.

https://static-10.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/fdf54646-16d8-4b6e-8520-0c570aa6f502-large16x9_Capture.PNG

james evans
05-27-2021, 12:13 PM
I never liked jordan. Even as a kid when my mom would watch UNC games. (I was and still is a Georgetown fan). I just never got the obsession with him by people. Mfers camping out for his overpriced shoes, calling him the goat acting like his teammates were trash(though they only lost 2 more games in his first retirement), and the constant dikriding by ESPN and sports media. Shit is disgusting.

james evans
05-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Just watch Tim's reaction to Jordan's HOF speech to see how he feels about Jordan's "me me me" style. In Jordan's day, Jordan was just a player. A damn good one, but not the god he's become since. Now it seems you cannot find a single flaw in him from people who weren't even alive then.

https://static-10.sinclairstoryline.com/resources/media/fdf54646-16d8-4b6e-8520-0c570aa6f502-large16x9_Capture.PNG
and you got people who weren't even fucking born when he was playing will argue with you about shit they've "heard" against things you've witnessed live..

lefty
05-27-2021, 01:14 PM
Jordan is the epitome of me me me, me too (referencing Agent Smith in Matrix 2 lol)

From his style of play, his vindicative personality, his HOF speech to his cherry picked moments in the Last Dance........

Look, the guy was talented, athletic , and he was competitive and worked hard on his game, but let's face it his style of play didn't have a major positive impact on his team; yes I know those early Bulls teams weren't very talented but you put Lebron, Magic or Bird and they automatically improve that team. I'm not saying they win a title in Chicago with tle likes of Quintin Dailey, Sidney Green, Dave Corzine or Kyle Macy, but they would have won more games that's for sure

Then Krause, the man who passed away and who was belittled by Jordan in TLD, built the ideal team around Jordan and got him the perfect ego manager in Phil and then Stern decided ti protect Jordan at all costs and the NBA got diluted because of expansion and you have the ideal situation for Jordan.
Add all the marketing around him and the weak ass SG's he was facing , left on an island because there was no Zone D at the time, and you have a picture of the perfect GOAT, but this picture is really flawed

and you got people who weren't even fucking born when he was playing will argue with you about shit they've "heard" against things you've witnessed live..

That shit pisses me off

Sure you will find old heads who watched him play and are still convinced he'S the GOAT and the 90s were the best era and stuff........... and that's OK....they are wrong but nostalgia is a human feeling
After all, DR J doesn't have Magic, Bird and Jordan in his all time starting 5, because that 5 includes players he grew up watching and idolizing and he admitted there was an emotional component to his choice

Conversely you will occasionally find old heads who witnessed that era and will think the game is better today and say Jordan wasn't all that

But yeah those younger fans who act like they saw MJ play and called badass GOAT super tough etc piss me off, they must be really brainwashed :lol

lefty
05-27-2021, 03:32 PM
I never liked jordan. Even as a kid when my mom would watch UNC games. (I was and still is a Georgetown fan). I just never got the obsession with him by people. Mfers camping out for his overpriced shoes, calling him the goat acting like his teammates were trash(though they only lost 2 more games in his first retirement), and the constant dikriding by ESPN and sports media. Shit is disgusting.
Agreed
TBH , the only time the Bulls were fun to watch was in 93-94 season without MJ, more ball sharing, underdog status (status that was not justified because that team was good but as you said they gave Jordan God like status), better defense - yes better defense without so called DPOY Jordan.
That season was also the best 90s season to watch overall, no MJ dick riding by NBC and ESPN so other great players got talked about more

DMC
05-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Jordan is the epitome of me me me, me too (referencing Agent Smith in Matrix 2 lol)

From his style of play, his vindicative personality, his HOF speech to his cherry picked moments in the Last Dance........

Look, the guy was talented, athletic , and he was competitive and worked hard on his game, but let's face it his style of play didn't have a major positive impact on his team; yes I know those early Bulls teams weren't very talented but you put Lebron, Magic or Bird and they automatically improve that team. I'm not saying they win a title in Chicago with tle likes of Quintin Dailey, Sidney Green, Dave Corzine or Kyle Macy, but they would have won more games that's for sure

Then Krause, the man who passed away and who was belittled by Jordan in TLD, built the ideal team around Jordan and got him the perfect ego manager in Phil and then Stern decided ti protect Jordan at all costs and the NBA got diluted because of expansion and you have the ideal situation for Jordan.
Add all the marketing around him and the weak ass SG's he was facing , left on an island because there was no Zone D at the time, and you have a picture of the perfect GOAT, but this picture is really flawed

That shit pisses me off

Sure you will find old heads who watched him play and are still convinced he'S the GOAT and the 90s were the best era and stuff........... and that's OK....they are wrong but nostalgia is a human feeling
After all, DR J doesn't have Magic, Bird and Jordan in his all time starting 5, because that 5 includes players he grew up watching and idolizing and he admitted there was an emotional component to his choice

Conversely you will occasionally find old heads who witnessed that era and will think the game is better today and say Jordan wasn't all that

But yeah those younger fans who act like they saw MJ play and called badass GOAT super tough etc piss me off, they must be really brainwashed :lol

I don't think him being GOAT is debatable. Him being perfect is just bullshit though. I was never a Chicago Bulls fan, liked the Cubs but never the Bulls. I was a Magic Johnson fan (hated the boring ass Celtics and those lanky, weird looking MFers like Chief and McHale who would just stand under the basket for layups).

lefty
05-27-2021, 05:22 PM
I don't think him being GOAT is debatable. Him being perfect is just bullshit though. I was never a Chicago Bulls fan, liked the Cubs but never the Bulls. I was a Magic Johnson fan (hated the boring ass Celtics and those lanky, weird looking MFers like Chief and McHale who would just stand under the basket for layups).
Honestly MJ being the GOAT is debatable tbh
As for the Celtics bigs, Chief was standing there but not McHale, he had great footwork and pump fakes and had to work for his baskets (except when Bird did all the work to find him lol)

DMC
05-27-2021, 07:13 PM
As for the Celtics bigs, Chief was standing there but not McHale, he had great footwork and pump fakes and had to work for his baskets (except when Bird did all the work to find him lol)

It's not debatable. Lebron is great, but Jordan never had a team full of 1st overall picks. He didn't team up with Bird and Magic to win a 3peat. He didn't quit the Bulls and go to the Lakers and recruit Hakeem.

lefty
05-27-2021, 07:29 PM
It's not debatable. Lebron is great, but Jordan never had a team full of 1st overall picks. He didn't team up with Bird and Magic to win a 3peat. He didn't quit the Bulls and go to the Lakers and recruit Hakeem.

Jordan was trying to recruit players before Jerry Krause arrived
Scottie Pippen turned out to be one of the top 50 players of all times and one of the best SF and defenders ever, he was also the Bulls best individual and team defenders and their playmaker and 2nd scorer. That’s huge.

Kukoc was at the time the best European player and the best 6th man in the NBA, he was also versatile, a left handed matchup nightmare and one of the most clutch shooters in the league.

Rodman was the beat rebounder and one of the best defenders in the league

James carried a sorry ass Cavs team to the Finals in 2007 , Jordan would have been swept in the 1st round with that roster
Despite that, their FO did nothing to improve the team, did you really expect Lebron to stick around and not win a ring?

Especially with the Celtics forming a big 3 (but Lebron did it first lol) he was never going to win the East with that shit Cavs team

I don’t know what universe you live in :lol

Jordan would have teamed up if he could have before Krause saved his bald ass, it wasn’t easy to move like that back then with the CBA and contract structures. Jordan constantly and publicly threw the FO under the bus before Krause came along

Also, Lebron’s finals opponents >>>>>> MJ’s Finals opponents

Lebron is clearly the better basketball player, fast, bigger, stronger, better passer, can score with the best of them, can guard multiple positions, better 3 pt shooter, he would have destroyed Jordan if he played in the 90s :lol

Mitch
05-27-2021, 07:33 PM
Tim is not gay

He’s just a cuck

Gay and a cuck then, amy wouldn't leave him for just the latter :lol

Dirks_Finale
05-27-2021, 07:47 PM
Scottie Pippen turned out to be one of the top 50 players of all times and one of the best SF and defenders ever, he was also the Bulls best individual and team defenders and their playmaker and 2nd scorer. That’s huge.

Kukoc was at the time the best European player and the best 6th man in the NBA, he was also versatile, a left handed matchup nightmare and one of the most clutch shooters in the league.

James carried a sorry ass Cavs team to the Finals in 2007 , Jordan would have been swept in the 1st round with that roster
Despite that, their FO did nothing to improve the team, did you really expect Lebron to stick around and not win a ring?

Especially with the Celtics forming a big 3 (but Lebron did it first lol) he was never going to win the East with that shit Cavs team

Jordan would have teamed up if he could have before Krause saved his bald ass, it wasn’t easy to move like that back then with the CBA and contract structures. Jordan constantly and publicly threw the FO under the bus before Krause came along

Lebron is clearly the better basketball player, fast, bigger, stronger, better passer, can score with the best of them, can guard multiple positions, better 3 pt shooter, he would have destroyed Jordan if he played in the 90s :lol

Dirk stayed until he got one. Even took paycuts so the front office to get better players. Duncan probably would have done the same in a similar situation. Lebron is just wired differently.

Dirks_Finale
05-27-2021, 07:54 PM

Is there anyone with better footwork than Mchale? Hakeem, maybe. He's on a short list.

FrostKing
05-27-2021, 08:04 PM

Duncan > Lebron tbh

james evans
05-27-2021, 08:42 PM
why isn't it debatable? The league changed rules for him TWICE so he could win. The league every decade got softer and softer. People today don't even know the history of the NBA claiming that any player today would dominate in the 60s and 70s. But these same people are aware of the physicality in the league back then and that so many players had false teeth from getting them knocked out in games(which weren't flagrant fouls btw, because flagrant fouls were created for Jordan)

lefty
05-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Is there anyone with better footwork than Mchale? Hakeem, maybe. He's on a short list.
Hakeem had great FW
Prime Duncan too

There was a video highlights of all the McHale and Hakeem post moves from the 1986 Finals on Youtube but it looks like it’s been removed

lefty
05-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Duncan > Lebron tbh
But if I say that I’ll be called a homer lol

DMC
05-28-2021, 08:51 AM
why isn't it debatable? The league changed rules for him TWICE so he could win. The league every decade got softer and softer. People today don't even know the history of the NBA claiming that any player today would dominate in the 60s and 70s. But these same people are aware of the physicality in the league back then and that so many players had false teeth from getting them knocked out in games(which weren't flagrant fouls btw, because flagrant fouls were created for Jordan)

Because the bar is that low. Lebron is the next in line and he's had to stack and jump around to large markets to get any traction. 5 finals appearances in Cleveland and he got 1 ring from it. He got two from Miami after stacking and 1 in LA after stacking. He's the most talented player of size coupled with longevity/health and wherewithal we've seen at his superstar level and who wants to be seen, since Jordan. Everything is "since Jordan". There's a reason.

lefty
05-28-2021, 09:24 AM
lol revisionist history

Neo.
05-28-2021, 10:21 AM

theres literally hundreds of hours of video evidence easily available showing that the defense was actually pathetically bad and involved nearly no physicality, other than the occasional dirty play or players simply not being very coordinated and doing stupid stuff that knocks other players teeth out

just stop

james evans
05-28-2021, 10:21 AM
Because the bar is that low. Lebron is the next in line and he's had to stack and jump around to large markets to get any traction. 5 finals appearances in Cleveland and he got 1 ring from it. He got two from Miami after stacking and 1 in LA after stacking. He's the most talented player of size coupled with longevity/health and wherewithal we've seen at his superstar level and who wants to be seen, since Jordan. Everything is "since Jordan". There's a reason.
I have often reminded everyone, "the NBA didn't start in 1991". Some get it, some don't..

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-28-2021, 10:27 AM
Gay and a cuck then, amy wouldn't leave him for just the latter :lol

She didn't actually leave him, per se, she was just banging the help. My guess is that half of the NBA wives are getting tapped by the pool boy, trainer, yoga instructor, when daddy's on the road.

james evans
05-28-2021, 10:29 AM
theres literally hundreds of hours of video evidence easily available showing that the defense was actually pathetically bad and involved nearly no physicality, other than the occasional dirty play or players simply not being very coordinated and doing stupid stuff that knocks other players teeth out

just stop
this is a lie. There was a lot of physicality in the 60s and 70s. the 80s pale in comparison. And there isn't as much footage as you think because a lot of games weren't recorded. For years I told everyone how great Elgin Baylor was before his death from my own research(ESPN wont' do this for you. It goes against their narrative that Lebron and Jordan are the 1st of their kind). After he passes, people realize how great he was for about 4 days before he's forgotten forever going forward. Leagues like the NBA and NFL get weaker every few years to promote offense. You now have quarterbacks in their goddamn 40s looking like 25 year old because you can't touch them. You can hit everyone on the football field now except the qb. If you sack him, you better do it in a manner that's comfortable for him or it's a flag. shit is a joke. You can either recognize the bullshit, or fall in line with the brainwashing of selling athletes to the public of being better than what they are. And boxing right now it at its worst. Goddamn 7 and 8 champions per weight class. It's ridiculous

Neo.
05-28-2021, 10:31 AM
this is a lie. There was a lot of physicality in the 60s and 70s. the 80s pale in comparison. And there isn't as much footage as you think because a lot of games weren't recorded. For years I told everyone how great Elgin Baylor was before his death from my own research(ESPN wont' do this for you. It goes against their narrative that Lebron and Jordan are the 1st of their kind). After he passes, people realize how great he was for about 4 days before he's forgotten forever going forward. Leagues like the NBA and NFL get weaker every few years to promote offense. You now have quarterbacks in their goddamn 40s looking like 25 year old because you can't touch them. You can hit everyone on the football field now except the qb. If you sack him, you better do it in a manner that's comfortable for him or it's a flag. shit is a joke. You can either recognize the bullshit, or fall in line with the brainwashing of selling athletes to the public of being better than what they are. And boxing right now it at its worst. Goddamn 7 and 8 champions per weight class. It's ridiculous

you make as many claims and long posts as you want, but the tape doesnt lie. i stopped reading after your second sentence. its literally a comedy show to watch how pathetic the defense was, and how uncoordinated 80% of the players were :rollin

lefty
05-28-2021, 10:58 AM
you make as many claims and long posts as you want, but the tape doesnt lie. i stopped reading after your second sentence. its literally a comedy show to watch how pathetic the defense was, and how uncoordinated 80% of the players were :rollin

The old Portuguese guy (he’s a grandfather) who owns my favourite rotisserie chicken restaurant would play better defense than those 60s70s dudes

DMC
05-28-2021, 01:12 PM
She didn't actually leave him, per se, she was just banging the help. My guess is that half of the NBA wives are getting tapped by the pool boy, trainer, yoga instructor, when daddy's on the road.

She was getting the big fundamentals

Now she's just getting the big funds

Millennial_Messiah
05-28-2021, 02:11 PM
Dirk stayed until he got one. Even took paycuts so the front office to get better players. Duncan probably would have done the same in a similar situation. Lebron is just wired differently.
Lebitch is just a lazy ass glam punk. More celebrity than competitor.

Jordan was a primadonna and an asshole, but at least he had a heart and wasn't a rapist. Huge competitor.

Kobe was a primadonna, a cold blooded psychopathic asshole and a rapist. Also a huge competitor.

lefty
05-28-2021, 02:17 PM
Lebitch is just a lazy ass glam punk. More celebrity than competitor.

Jordan was a primadonna and an asshole, but at least he had a heart and wasn't a rapist. Huge competitor.

Kobe was a primadonna, a cold blooded psychopathic asshole and a rapist. Also a huge competitor.
LeBron led both the Cavs and Warroirs in major statistical vategories and had back to back 41 pt games to tie the series and defeat a 73-9 team but he has no heart and he'S not a competitor

He had that 51 pt against the KD Warriors only to be fucked in the ass by his own teammate but he'S not a competitor and he has no heart

He carried a sorry ass Cavs team to the 2007 FInals, having that amazing game 5 in Detroit but he has no heart and he is not a competitor

LOL OK