PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss Devin Brown?

Rummpd
11-13-2005, 11:29 PM
I for one do, and for all the apparent depth coming into the season at SG/SF = recent events show you can never have too much talent.

Also, on a night like last night at least Brown was the type who when healthy went in an gave it his all, was a good defender, and could sometimes score in bunches.

I recognize he is not breaking out yet in Utah - but give him time, Brown will be heard from again.

exstatic
11-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Paying your 5th wing a multi-million dollar per year contract quickly gets you into Knick territory, payroll wise. Finley is and was a better option who happens to be on the shelf now.

Vashner
11-13-2005, 11:39 PM
I miss Malik... :(
Devin got a bad break on health issue. But he lived the dream....

xcoriate
11-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Pretty much we need another young swingman who can play spot minutes. Brown was due consistent minutes and he wasn't going to get those here. But were starting to see the problems of carrying 4 swingman, 3 of which on the wrongside of 30.

Injuries.

They are all in there decline, and what I wont to know is what we are going to do about wings over the next few years. Maybe Sanders becomes someone that we can rely on, thank god the front office was forced to pick someone up that at least has potential to fill the wing rotation sometime in the future as in 2 years its going to look pretty poor.

angel_luv
11-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I was just thinking about Devin. Anyone know how he is doing?

SuperManu!!!
11-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Since that injury, i don't miss him.

ZStomp
11-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Sorry...no.

T Park
11-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Paying your 5th wing a multi-million dollar per year contract quickly gets you into Knick territory, payroll wise. Finley is and was a better option who happens to be on the shelf now.

damnt Ex.

Using that common sense and all........

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah, the Spurs couldn't use him right now.

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
I've read some posts on a Utah Jazz forum which consists of 2 opinions

1) He sucks.

2) He sucks, but give him time, he'll adjust.

Obviously this is the time when we question our depth at the swing, but neither Barry's nor Finley's injuries are serious. We should be back up to full-strength soon, and we get to have a pretty good looks at Sanders. Devin Brown's struggles may be due to a lack of familiarity with the Jazz system, so it's certainly possible that he would be performing much better were he still a Spur. But to answer your question - Nope, don't miss him one bit.

boutons
11-14-2005, 12:42 AM
I miss Devin personally, and hope he gets a good chance at Utah, but Devin's chronic back problems so young don't make him a very attractive keeper. ie, he may not be any less breakdown prone than somebody in their mid 30s.

Our back court, Tony, Manu, Bruce, Nick, was scoring just fine vs Wiz, 57% 3Gs (even better than the "hot" Wiz). It was the 17 pts and horrendous FG% from the front court that killed us, bringing team FG% down to a fatal 40%.

When Brent and Michael are back next week, esp if Michael can get his FG% from the teens back into his career range of low/mid 40s, Devin will be even less missed.

Dre_7
11-14-2005, 01:56 AM
Yeah, the Spurs couldn't use him right now.

With Fin, Manu, and Barry hurtin, another swingman with injury questions is the last the Spurs need right now. Id rather have a healthy guy, like maybe a ...ah...Melvin Sanders!

GoSpurs21
11-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Pretty much we need another young swingman who can play spot minutes. Brown was due consistent minutes and he wasn't going to get those here. But were starting to see the problems of carrying 4 swingman, 3 of which on the wrongside of 30.I agree which is why I will continue to say that I wish the Spurs would have choosen Devin instead of Fin. So far Fin has had one good game and nothing since. Hopefully, Fin will prove me wrong, but todate he has been a bust.

boutons
11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
"todate he has been a bust."

not totally, his points shot with a high FG%, esp Q4, pretty much beat the Nuggets, was certainly the kind of instant offense Pop dreamed about when signing Michael, but since then, he's shooting about FG% of about 20%.

Jimcs50
11-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I miss him sitting on the bench doing nothing.

:rolleyes

smeagol
11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
No.

Just because Barry and Finley are injured (a very low probability event) you don’t advocate to have 5th swingman who’s worth a multi-million contract. Does not make fiscal sense.

Ishta
11-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't miss him at all.

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone else miss Devin Brown?
No, not really. I'm totally comfortable with the current lineup.

I agree which is why I will continue to say that I wish the Spurs would have choosen Devin instead of Fin. So far Fin has had one good game and nothing since. Hopefully, Fin will prove me wrong, but todate he has been a bust.

:lol uh, hate to break it to you, bud, but if "busts" are determined in the first week of the season, then Devin's a bust, too.

Devin
2005-06
Statistics
PPG 3.8
RPG 2.70
APG 1.5

Mike
2005-06
Statistics
PPG 7.3
RPG 4.50
APG 1.5

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 10:45 AM
So the Spurs should pass on depth when they have their best shot at winning more championships because it shaves a rounding error off the total payroll expenses, even with the team already having a substantial amount of that expense subsidized through the lux tax system?

Who are you people?

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 10:55 AM
No, you're right. We should aspire to be the Knicks.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
How the F is it 'being the Knicks'? A 1 year small (in NBA terms, no doubt) money contract so that you can actually carry 5 swingmen is not 'being the Knicks'.

When you pay $100 mil over 6 years for your 12th man, that's 'being the Knicks'.

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Fair enough. But again, making sound financial decisions is one of the big reasons we are where we are. Let's face it - last year - and every year - you complain that Holt is cheap...not just cheap, but cheap enough to negatively affect the on-the-court product. We won the Championship "despite" his cheapness. So, I guess he wasn't too cheap after all. Get over it.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Get over what? It's not as though it was some secret that the Spurs' perimeter rotation was somewhat aged nor the depth lacking. For a relatively small expense for one season the Spurs could have a solid role player, like say a Devin Brown, Glenn Robinson or George Lynch as their 5th swing.

Just because in the past ownership hasn't F'ed up things doesn't mean they aren't starting to do so now.

smeagol
11-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Just because in the past ownership hasn't F'ed up things doesn't mean they aren't starting to do so now.
Assembling this team is a huge fuck up. We get it.

Even if the Spurs had Lebron, Garnett and AI, you would still find something to bitch about.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:13 AM
None of you can bring yourselves to admit any problems with the team, organization or ownership. This forum is not responsible for the Spurs' PR. It is a discussion forum. It is not affiliated with the organization. If you want simple cheerleading, head on over to spurs.com.

ca®lo
11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
i miss steve kerr more :)

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 11:15 AM

Exactly my point. When, "in the past", ownership wasn't F'ing things up, you were bitching that they were.

Besides, if not having Devin Brown, Glenn Robinson, or George Lynch will prevent the team from winning, their problems are a lot bigger than swingman depth.

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
I personally think that Melvin Sanders is a perfectly servicable swing that costs less than Brown. Brown has injury concerns, and Glen Robinson has age issues. Don't know if you would want them to back up an older swing rotation. Not that I'd be opposed to bringing the Big Dog back, but so far, I'm very happy with Brown not being on this team.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Brown was good enough to replace Barry as the 1st swing off the bench last season and GRob helped to spark a rally in Game 1 of the NBA Finals last June.

Right now you have two guys out and you have Manu forced to play while he should be resting. But, I know, Holt Cat saves a few bucks and that is what is most important to us fans.

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
None of you can bring yourselves to admit any problems with the team, organization or ownership. This forum is not responsible for the Spurs' PR. It is a discussion forum. It is not affiliated with the organization. If you want simple cheerleading, head on over to spurs.com.

Isn't expressing my own opinion, which is different from yours "discussion"?

I just call it like I see it. What I see is the best team/ownership/managament/organization in the league, who has made a steady series of sound financial and basketball decisions that have resulted in the greatest success of any team in any professional league over the last several years.

If they don't deserve the occasional benefit of the doubt for their past actions, they never will. Of course, if that was the way I saw it, I'd be you.

But don't slap the cheerleading label on me. I have my opinion. You have yours. If they didn't differ, then there would be no discussion. That's what you're claiming we're supposed to be doing here, right?

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Brown WAS good enough before he got hurt. If he is still good enough, he's hardly shown it so far in Utah. You complain about having an older swing rotation, then say you want Glenn Robinson to back them up???

Just a question for you MB, I have not had an opportunity to watch Melvin Sanders play yet, what do you think of his game so far?

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Discussion does not consist of 'the Spurs/Pop/Holt have won 3 titles in 7 years so shut up'. If you want to actually offer up something else, by all means there isn't a problem with that. But the vast majority of the responses to anything that could be perceived to be critical of the Spurs in this forum has descended into knee-jerk Spurs jingoism, for lack of a better term.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Brown WAS good enough before he got hurt. If he is still good enough, he's hardly shown it so far in Utah. You complain about having an older swing rotation, then say you want Glenn Robinson to back them up???

'Older' as in the players are more susceptible to injury as well as will require a longer healing time. That's why more depth is preferable, regardless of age. Right now the Spurs are only carrying 4. Last season and in most seasons prior that I can remember, they carried 6.

Just a question for you MB, I have not had an opportunity to watch Melvin Sanders play yet, what do you think of his game so far?

He's fine. He should be on IR this season and in Austin.

But seeing as how he's on a non-guaranteed deal I would not be surprised to see the team waive him as soon as they can.

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Discussion does not consist of 'the Spurs/Pop/Holt have won 3 titles in 7 years so shut up'. If you want to actually offer up something else, by all means there isn't a problem with that. But the vast majority of the responses to anything that could be perceived to be critical of the Spurs in this forum has descended into knee-jerk Spurs jingoism, for lack of a better term.

Well please feel free to offer up something besides "Holt is a cheap bastard, I would run this team so much better, our current 5th swingman scrub isn't as good as other 5th swingman scrubs."

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:26 AM
I do offer more, kiddo.

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 11:29 AM

Give me a break. You're always trying to put labels on shit.

I have my opinion. I have that right, just like you.

If my opinion automatically makes me a homer, than yours automatically makes you a hater.

There's nothing knee-jerk about my opinion. It has been formed through years of watching this team develop. I don't know what team you're watching, but it must really suck.

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
I do offer more, kiddo.

:lol And obviously others offer more than "Spurs/Pop/Holt have won 3 titles in 7 years, so shut up." old-timer

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
I do offer more, kiddo.

Like what? Because all I ever seem to hear out of you is "Holt is cheap".

ploto
11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
The decision about Brown was not about money as people believe. The Spurs had decided that he simply was not the Bruce Bowen replacement they hoped he would turn out to be-- that is what the real discussion should be about. He spent part of one season plus 2 fulls seasons here. The best offer he could get was only one guaranteed year from Utah. If he has a good season and proves his back is fine, he will have interest next summer. If not, he'll be out of the league sooner than people realize.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
This forum doesn't lack 'Spurs are so great/Rasho is hot' commentary. What it does lack is a critical look at the team and its moves. If you don't like that, too bad.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:36 AM
The decision about Brown was not about money as people believe. The Spurs had decided that he simply was not the Bruce Bowen replacement they hoped he would turn out to be-- that is what the real discussion should be about. He spent part of one season plus 2 fulls seasons here. The best offer he could get was only one guaranteed year from Utah. If he has a good season and proves his back is fine, he will have interest next summer. If not, he'll be out of the league sooner than people realize.

Brown was never going to replace Bowen. That's absurd.

ploto
11-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Brown was never going to replace Bowen. That's absurd.

But that's what they wanted him to be.

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I miss Frank Brick-owww-ski

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:41 AM
But that's what they wanted him to be.

That's what you think they wanted him to be.

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 11:46 AM
This forum doesn't lack 'Spurs are so great/Rasho is hot' commentary. What it does lack is a critical look at the team and its moves. If you don't like that, too bad.

Critical, obviously, does not necessarily mean negative. Just because your views are negative, and others are positive does not mean you are the only one capable of critical thought. Others have looked at Devin's stats and history and come to the conclusion that he would not be a good investment for this team. Plain and simple. You have come to the opposite conclusion.

This is a board to talk about the Spurs. If some want to talk about how hot Rash is, well this is the place. This is obviously a place for a team to debate how the team is run, and how it could be run differently. Just because some disagree with you doesn't mean they aren't thinking, it just means they think differently. And I believe the 3 championships in 7 years argument carries merit. I am a grad student in history so of course I look at the past to predict the future. Just as you have looked at the past and seen warning signs for the future, I do the same thing - but have come to an opposite conclusion.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
So one can be critical, just not state anything 'negative'? um, ok.

Mr. Peabody
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
I miss Frank Brick-owww-ski

Do you remember how Brickowski was friends with Charlies Sheen, so they would always show Charlie Sheen in the crowd during games? Man, we were starved for celebrity fans back then.
________
PAULINAX (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/paulinax)

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
So one can be critical, just not state anything 'negative'? um, ok.

*sigh* I explicitly stated that critical can both be positive or negative. You are the one who claimed that this board was a PR mouthpiece for the Spurs organization and lacked critical thinking. I merely stated that just because some disagree with you does not they aren't critical - it just means they disagree with you.

implacable44
11-14-2005, 12:07 PM
miss what ? his 3 points per game he is averaging -- that kid sure is tearing it up in Utah - shots just aren't as easy to come by when you don't have the entire defense focused on TD and you are an after thought -- as Devin is discovering. -

I don't know why people fight with New Orleans on this board - that kid is miserable - and will continue to be miserable - he is a Saints fan. Have you seen that team ? Aaron Brooks might be the worst QB in the league - he can only make one pass - a bullet straight down the field - dont ask him to throw a touch pass or a screen -- just deep balls - bullets straight down the field. Let this man be in his sorrow. I heard they lost this week and they had a bye -

smeagol
11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
MB, your point on how Holt conducts himself always ends up being that he is cheap. And you go out of your way, sometimes with farfetched arguments, to prove this point.

As much as I agree that Holt is “cheap”, i.e. fiscally responsible, in this case I disagree with you argument (and that does not make me a cheerleader).

Devin spent two months riding the pine because of a back-related injury and you are complaining he is not our 5th swingman because two of them are already injured? Two swingmen injured and you want a third who is injury prone? Where’s the logic?

And besides, Sanders is doing and ok job as you 5 swing guy.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:22 PM
miss what ? his 3 points per game he is averaging -- that kid sure is tearing it up in Utah - shots just aren't as easy to come by when you don't have the entire defense focused on TD and you are an after thought -- as Devin is discovering. -

He worked in SA. Enough to supplant the Almighty Barry in the rotation.

I don't know why people fight with New Orleans on this board - that kid is miserable - and will continue to be miserable - he is a Saints fan. Have you seen that team ? Aaron Brooks might be the worst QB in the league - he can only make one pass - a bullet straight down the field - dont ask him to throw a touch pass or a screen -- just deep balls - bullets straight down the field. Let this man be in his sorrow. I heard they lost this week and they had a bye -

eh, I'm not a Saints fan, unless they move to SA. So try another angle. Nice attempt at the diversion though.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
MB, your point on how Holt conducts himself always ends up being that he is cheap. And you go out of your way, sometimes with farfetched arguments, to prove this point.

As much as I agree that Holt is “cheap”, i.e. fiscally responsible, in this case I disagree with you argument (and that does not make me a cheerleader).

Devin spent two months riding the pine because of a back-related injury and you are complaining he is not our 5th swingman because two of them are already injured? Two swingmen injured and you want a third who is injury prone? Where’s the logic?

And besides, Sanders is doing and ok job as you 5 swing guy.

How many minutes has Sanders played thusfar? You still have Manu playing when he should be resting.

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Do you remember how Brickowski was friends with Charlies Sheen, so they would always show Charlie Sheen in the crowd during games? Man, we were starved for celebrity fans back then.

and now Charlie's dad is your father's predecessor. It all comes full circle.

Solid D
11-14-2005, 12:26 PM
How the F is it 'being the Knicks'? A 1 year small (in NBA terms, no doubt) money contract so that you can actually carry 5 swingmen is not 'being the Knicks'.

When you pay $100 mil over 6 years for your 12th man, that's 'being the Knicks'.

Signing Melvin Sanders at the start of the season = Hertz Renters Insurance.

How many of you check and initial that coverage when you rent a car?

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:28 PM
How many of you would go on a cross country trip on 4 tires with little tread left and no spare?

Solid D
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Ginobili, Bowen and Barry = very little tread left? Okay Kenny Smith.

implacable44
11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
He worked in SA. Enough to supplant the Almighty Barry in the rotation.

eh, I'm not a Saints fan, unless they move to SA. So try another angle. Nice attempt at the diversion though.

that is funny -- you told me in an im discussion that you were a saints fan. -

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
The swing rotation is old. How much longer is Bowen going to play at this level? Ditto for Barry and Finley. Now you have Manu playing heavy minutes when he should be resting.

As it stands only 2 of those 4 are playing at the moment. Critique and posit analogies all you want, but it was not a wise decision to go into this season with no depth at those positions.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
that is funny -- you told me in an im discussion that you were a saints fan. -

I did no such thing.

smeagol
11-14-2005, 12:39 PM
How many minutes has Sanders played thusfar? You still have Manu playing when he should be resting.
8-12 and 28 pts is not too shabby.

coopdogg3
11-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Well the need for a Bowen replacement has been stated many times before, but you, yourself, have claimed that Brown is no Bowen replacement. With no draft pick next year, barring a trade, this is a question that will need to be answered soon, especially in 2 years after Finley leaves. I just don't believe the answer is Devin Brown. If you have a better answer than Devin Brown, I'm all ears.

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
One man's "little tread left" is another man's (or, in this case, every other man's) "favorite to win the NBA Championship".

Rummpd
11-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I will state why I miss Devin again and I for one would have loved to have around as an "insurance policy".

1) He was an athletic and physical player in a league with it seems more and more huge or muscular guards and SF; and for those concerned re his back = lots of players have back injuries, and to this date there is no evidence of a congenital reason.
2) He was always a competitor and wasn't afraid to step up. I remember the 2003-04 playoff series vs. LA when it seemed he had the "only pair on the team" in one game and he scored at will vs. LA to almost pull out a game. In bursts, he also showed potential considerable talent on both sides of the ball. Other than Bowen and Manu he was surely the best quard/swingman defender on the team and also quarded at times tall players with effect.
3) He never complained about minutes when he could have (at least openly)
4) Cost-effective, he would have stayed for any reasonable offer most likely.

To be fair = Belatedly on this site and others we heard comments about him being late and not hardworking in practice from some sources, but it was wierd we never heard that prior to his release.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:47 PM
If they are healthy enough to play.

And of course there are, you know, seasons after this one. If you kept a Devin Brown around at least you would have that option.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
8-12 and 28 pts is not too shabby.

Sure, he's a competitor. But that doesn't change the fact that he'd be better off resting at the moment instead of forced into the action.

smeagol
11-14-2005, 01:13 PM
And the there's the fundamental question: Would Devin have stayed with the expectation of playing 5th swingman off the bench type minutes (what's that anyways? If everybody is healthy, 5 minutes?)

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
He wouldn't have had much of a choice. Beyond this season, the Spurs would've had his full Bird rights.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I really liked Devin. Loved his home-town boy story and his hustle. At one time I thought he could replace Bowen in the near future. As he played more, I realized he probably couldn't start at SF but could be a valuable role player for the minimum.

Then, he was injured. Rotten luck, but everyone knows that back injuries are usually chronic (ask Dave Robinson). It wasn't surprising that so many teams failed to take a chance on him, but I was glad Utah gave him a shot. So far, he hasn't done anything and he got DNPs the other night. I hope it wasn't because of the back.

I wouldn't put Devin on this roster if he were available right now.

easjer
11-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Question A) Do you miss Devin Brown?
My Answer A) No, not really.

Question B) Does Marcus Bryant ever have a salient, valid point backed up with evidence?
My Answer B) No, not really.

Marcus we get that you think Holt is cheap. You never miss an opportunity to harp on. But as much as you attack other posters for 'not backing up' their claims, you never do either - you simply resort to barbed attacks on other poster's critical thinking abilities.

tekdragon
11-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Condescending, hypocrytical rant in 3...2...1...

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I have backed up my points.

Welcome to the discussion.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Condescending, hypocrytical rant in 3...2...1...

Uh oh, someone's mad.

easjer
11-14-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks, you proved my point.

Back it up, MB. Do you offer anything but a retort? No. You know full well that I've been around here for months. I've read every post in this thread, and I've read most of your posts.

You are trying to get me riled up and focused on that, so I'll come back annoyed or insulted and offer up a retort of my own, which you will then attack as not being critical or backing up my point or good enough.

You thrive on stirring up controversy, but you rarely offer anything substantive. I'm on to the game, friend. Bring the proof.

Right, you can't. Because it is only your opinion. You are welcome to it. But at least your detractors can point to the three trophys you like to disdain so much.

implacable44
11-14-2005, 02:32 PM

you back your points up with thoughts - your thoughts and your perspective - same as everyone else on this message board that you critique.

You can't argue with the results - You think Holt is cheap and that the Spurs should spend money to "develop" people who won't get any minutes on this team. some people, including Holt - disagree with you and they win championships. Why should the Spurs invest money on a young talent with say a 3-year deal to "develop" him on the bench and in practice and then see him go elsewhere? - those types of players you have mentioned are available every summer and in trades all the time -- and with this salary cap structure it will always be that way.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks, you proved my point.

Back it up, MB. Do you offer anything but a retort? No. You know full well that I've been around here for months. I've read every post in this thread, and I've read most of your posts.

You are trying to get me riled up and focused on that, so I'll come back annoyed or insulted and offer up a retort of my own, which you will then attack as not being critical or backing up my point or good enough.

You thrive on stirring up controversy, but you rarely offer anything substantive. I'm on to the game, friend. Bring the proof.

Right, you can't. Because it is only your opinion. You are welcome to it. But at least your detractors can point to the three trophys you like to disdain so much.

Blah blah blah blah. I've made my case. You obviously have not been paying attention. Here, to help you out...

The Spurs knew they had an old perimeter rotation coming into this season. They have never carried only 4 players to cover the 2 wing spots. The cost for depth at those spots, using proven players was minimal (1 year, minimum contract).

Again, welcome to the discussion.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
you back your points up with thoughts - your thoughts and your perspective - same as everyone else on this message board that you critique.

What then constitutes "backup"? Pointing out that the Spurs have never gone into a season in recent memory with only 4 swingmen is not a "thought", it's reality.

You can't argue with the results - You think Holt is cheap and that the Spurs should spend money to "develop" people who won't get any minutes on this team. some people, including Holt - disagree with you and they win championships. Why should the Spurs invest money on a young talent with say a 3-year deal to "develop" him on the bench and in practice and then see him go elsewhere? - those types of players you have mentioned are available every summer and in trades all the time -- and with this salary cap structure it will always be that way.

The Spurs have spent money to develop young players before (see Jackson, Stephen; Brown, Devin; Rose, Malik, etc...). They've spent $ to carry depth before. Shit, they've paid guys more in SA to not play (ie Smith, Steve; Mercer, Ron).

ducks
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
dpn against raptors=devin brown

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Is Devin injured or just not getting the system yet? I thought a healthy Devin would be pushing Giricek at this point.

easjer
11-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Devin wanted a higher-yeild multi year contract. It was made obvious that he wanted more than the Spurs were offering, not only in terms of $ but in terms of minutes.

So your point is fundamentally unsound.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Lest I forget that depth allows you to rest your starters more during the regular season and to help you weather injuries easier. So there, that should get you who are just joining this discussion up to speed.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Devin wanted a higher-yeild multi year contract. It was made obvious that he wanted more than the Spurs were offering, not only in terms of $ but in terms of minutes.

So your point is fundamentally unsound.

Devin Brown was a restricted free agent and the Spurs would've only had to match a 1 year contract. Being a restricted free agent, Devin had no choice if the Spurs had matched Utah's offer.

implacable44
11-14-2005, 02:44 PM
What then constitutes "backup"? Pointing out that the Spurs have never gone into a season in recent memory with only 4 swingmen is not a "thought", it's reality.

The Spurs have spent money to develop young players before (see Jackson, Stephen; Brown, Devin; Rose, Malik, etc...). They've spent $ to carry depth before. Shit, they've paid guys more in SA to not play (ie Smith, Steve; Mercer, Ron).

and what makes you think they need these "players?" What is devin brown going to contribute ? Youth does not equal talent all the time and the players you name are a dime a dozen. They are everywhere - they can call up some dude from the NBDL - sign someone from overseas or from the CBA to fill these "holes" you perceive that the Spurs have.
- they have FIn, Barry, Manu, Bowen and you don't think Nick can play the 2 ? he did it when he was in Dallas.
When February gets here - after the all-star game and the roster is set - I think there might be a change or two by then - just my thoughts.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm still waiting for anyone to produce a $5 million, one year deal for a vet IR player that had been made in the past.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Brown was good enough to have been the Spurs' primary backup 2/3 last season.

NVE at the 2 is not appealing. Your D is F'ed up whenever he's at that spot.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm still waiting for anyone to produce a $5 million, one year deal for a vet IR player that had been made in the past.

Mercer & SSmith might as well have been.

If you disagree, go with Lynch or GRobinson instead of Brown then.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Mercer & SSmith might as well have been.Might has well have been <> was.

Mercer was a throw-in on a trade.

Smith was our starter after the trade.

If you disagree, go with Lynch or GRobinson instead of Brown then.I never disagreed with that. They're still out there as is Spree.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 02:57 PM
What? The Spurs paid for guys they didn't want before.

Anyways, produce for me one team that has signed a player to a minimum contract to sit on IR. Feel free to litigate that too, if you like.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Anyways, produce for me one team that has signed a player to a minimum contract to sit on IR.That's not what Brown was going to get and not what you're bitching about, so quit trying to change the subject.

Why would I argue against something with which I agree?

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Well that's the greater point. They signed no one. You cannot paint taking on a minimum 1 year contract as being excessive.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Well that's the greater point. They signed no one.Yeah, since the Spurs didn't carry the full 15 on Nov 1, they'll never sign anyone the rest of the season.

Oops, they did sign #14 and are reportedly inquiring about #15.

Good for a couple weeks of "Holt is cheap" post count padding though....

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, they signed a rookie to a 1 year, non-guaranteed deal after 2 of 4 swings went down with injury and another is at less than 100%.

Impressive.

Reportedly they wanted to retain Brown too.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Reportedly they wanted to retain Brown too.If they didn't sign Finley.

Whoop-de-do.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:11 PM
So we're supposed to feel good about them waiting until they had major injury problems to sign a rook to a non-guaranteed deal when there are more experienced players available?

Outside of the knee-jerk Spurs apologists, this is not a pleasant thought.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
So we're supposed to feel good about them waiting until they had major injury problems to sign a rook to a non-guaranteed deal when there are more experienced players available?Who knows if those players haven't already been contacted?

It's not like anyone called the GRob signing.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Why wait?

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:20 PM
It takes two to tango. Could be the experienced players are listening to or waiting for other offers.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:21 PM
So we hope.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Truth is we don't know.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, they could very be trying to get through the year with only 4...

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Or not.