PDA

View Full Version : So Jason Kidd visits San Antonio today....

Archie
07-06-2003, 01:35 PM
...and Spurs fans complain.

Go figure. As if a great player was always willing to join the Spurs as a free agent. As if the Spurs will have this opportunity every summer. As if great players are always attainable.

Some of you have such a warped view of the league I don't even know where to start.

But Tony Parker is on the verge of greatness...that and a $1.79 gets you a large coffee at Border's.

Part of me would like to see the Spurs screw up and run off Jason Kidd without getting a Jermaine O'Neal or Brand. Just so that I could see how quickly a lot of you change your tune about adding Kidd.

But at least the Spurs did the smart thing once upon a time and denied DRob's chance to play with a great player like Barkley...yeah.

DuffMcCartney
07-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I have a feeling Jason Kidd will be getting a little surprise by a certain spurs fan when he's walking around downtown....:angel ........
..........................:makemyday

Archie
07-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Great idea, no doubt.

Whottt
07-06-2003, 01:50 PM
When are the Kidd lovers going to admit that people who aren't crazy about Kidd have some legitimate concerns about blowing our cap on him.

You guys try to sweep his very real and very obvious shortcomings under the rug. And also you guys try to sweep the potential chemistry problems between Parker, Manu and Kidd under the rug...

I noticed a recent article that reported Parker was ok with Kidd coming..but then that begs the question..what's Manu going to do when he is relegated to the bench?

IT's not just a once in a lifetime opportunity for Kidd fans you know.

And I think you are misguided to think that people who aren't crazy about Kidd want to see the Spurs come away from this opportunity empty handed.

The thing I don't get...the pro Kidd's act like Kidd is the second coming of MJ and anyone who doesn't see that is stupid.

We see what Kidd does..he's a franchise PG...that doesn't necessarily mean he can lift a team that already has a franchise player to a dynasty. It just doesn't work that way.

I mean honestly you guys sound like the LakerFans that think adding Malone and Payton means all those guys are going to score their career averages on a team with Kobe and Shaq..it just doesn't work that way.

Kidd isn't MJ...he isn't Magic or Bird..he's a good PG with very real deficiencies in his game and we have huge holes we can fill with this chance other than the PG spot...

And again...I still don't think Kidd is going to come...I just don't see him as the type of guy to walk out on his boys and join the team he just lost too.

DuffMcCartney
07-06-2003, 01:53 PM
If you can keep the current roster, and have Tony Parker never born, and reverse time to bring David back to his 94-95 form, then yeah I'd be all for getting Kidd. But thats not gonna happen because Kidd is not what we need.

adidas11
07-06-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm actually going to agree with you on this one Archie.

I'm sure Pop and staff know what they're doing, but many other Spurs fans on this board seem to think the Spurs have a plethora of options for free agency. If Jason decides to stay in NJ (a very strong possibility) and JO decides to stay in Indiana (from all reports, a strong possibility) then the HOLTING PATTERN would have to be seen as a failure. All of this cap room, and not able to land the coveted second superstar.

Now I'm not going to say that Kidd is the perfect fit for this team, because I don't know what Pop plans to do with Tony Parker afterwards. That still remains to be seen. And I also like Ghost's mindset of going after Kandi, who would be a cheaper option. I just think that a lot of posters on this board do not accept the possible reality that the Spurs might not pick up ANYONE of reasonable stature.

To wrap it up, I think a lot of posters should just be happy if the Spurs pick up anyone that is a good player, and not bitch and moan about it (sort of like TwoHandJam :cry )

Whottt
07-06-2003, 01:58 PM
If we sign Kandi you are gonna hear a lot of bitching from me.

I'd rather Mengke.

Archie
07-06-2003, 01:59 PM
When are you going to understand, 'Whottt' that we so called "Kidd lovers" want to see the Spurs add a great player during likely what is their only chance to do so?

Beyond that, when are you going to understand that your assumptions of Parker's future greatness are built upon your own personal hopes about what he could be, perhaps, some day.

Furthermore your ignorance of just what it takes to add great talent is laughable...especially for a team in a small market such as San Antonio.

I'm sorry if I've let the air out of your dreams. But someone has to bring you geniuses back down to reality.

NCaliSpurs
07-06-2003, 02:01 PM
I want kidd here if all else fails.

1) No S&T for Brand
2) No Jermaine Oneal
3) We cannot secure an appropriate mix
of FA bigmen/guards

He is excellent trade bait if things don't work out. We would be adding a great asset to our team.

Archie
07-06-2003, 02:02 PM
What exactly is this "mix"? If it includes Olowokandi don't bother posting it.

KoriEllis
07-06-2003, 02:03 PM
So what's the specifics on his visit?

Is he here already? Where will he go while he's here? What type of presentation do the Spurs have for him?

Will any of this be public knowledge? Or will it be kept on the down-low by Pop and Company?

Archie
07-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, they've had some time to prepare, Mrs. Ellis. I'm sure they'll do a good job at it. Kidd won't need the fanfare that they gave DA once upon a time.

adidas11
07-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Quote: "Beyond that, when are you going to understand that your assumptions of Parker's future greatness are built upon your own personal hopes about what he could be, perhaps, some day."

Again, I think Parker is a solid point guard, and has a great future in this league. It would make perfect sense if the Spurs decided to stick with Parker as their point guard for now, and for the future. The problem arises in this board when Spurs fans overrate Parker's "potential". Don't place him in the echelon of superstars, because he is not there, and probably won't get there (no knock on Parker) And there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you add that coveted second superstar at another position. But beggars can't be choosy, and if Jason Kidd comes knocking on your door, you take it! (assuming that landing a stud like J O'neal doesn't work out)

Whottt
07-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Whether or not Parker becomes a SuperStar is irrelevant for the pro Parker argument.

What is a fact is that we can win a title with him. You can't argue that. You can't.

I think it's safe to assume that Parker has a brighter future ahead of him than Kidd does.

Like I say I am not totally against him coming here but damned if I want him before Brand or O'Neal...Kidd will bring a lot of expensive question marks with him and I don't think it's a good idea to have too much stardust in your eyes when you look at what he is going to do for this team.

adidas11
07-06-2003, 02:24 PM
I can work with that Whott.

But what if Brand (extremely doubtful) and O'neal (50/50) don't come to San Antonio? That's the point I'm trying to make. Perhaps the Spurs would then be inclined to restructure their team, in order to fit around Kidd and Duncan. I'm not saying that is the smartest move, or that it would even work or not. But again, I say that beggars can't be choosy, and that's the reality of the situation.

I just have a feeling that the Holting Pattern requires a big move is made THIS summer in free agency. At least that's the feeling that I get.

Archie
07-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Yes Whottt, the Spurs won a title with Parker sitting on the bench.

Anyways, there is much more to a proper analysis of the Spurs' situation than just Parker v Kidd. Such as the Spurs' ability to add great talent during the remainder of Duncan's prime. You never turn down the opportunity to add a player of Kidd's talent level in the NBA. Never.

Archie
07-06-2003, 02:28 PM
For the 12,567th time no one is saying to turn down JO'Neal or Brand in favor of Kidd. The question is what happens when it is Kidd or no great talent. That's the focus of this debate. Don't try to change it.

Whottt
07-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Anything is better than Kandi IMO.

If we fail to land Brand or O'Neal then we did the best we could and I'll just shut up and leave it up to Pop and RC.

I don't think I am ever going to look at this opportunity as a blessing if all we get out of it is a 30 something PG that can rebound. And I am always going to have questions about the way Kidd walked out on his team and joined the team that beat him. Character shit like that bothers me..it's one of the reasons I didn't want Webber.

You know it's not just being a homer in favor of Parker..I like Payton(for short term) over Kidd and always have. He's the only rumored Laker FA aquisition that bothers me.

adidas11
07-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Quote: "Anyways, there is much more to a proper analysis of the Spurs' situation than just Parker v Kidd. Such as the Spurs' ability to add great talent during the remainder of Duncan's prime. You never turn down the opportunity to add a player of Kidd's talent level in the NBA. Never. "

So this Archie fellow can actually bring solid takes onto this baord! I'm impressed, to say the least. At least this is more constructive than our pissing contest in the other thread. :rolleyes

You're point is well taken Archie. This is the big opportunity to add the second superstar. Something that many Spurs fans have been complaining for years about.

Fact: Jason is ALREADY a superstar. You don't have to worry about him developing into a future, needed superstar.

Fact: Tony Parker is NOT a superstar at the moment. Manu is NOT a superstar at the moment. Jax is NOT a superstar at the moment. Who knows what the future holds, but I can only comment and deal with the situation currently at hand.

I just don't want to hear any Spurs fan whining and complaining 2 or 3 years from now about why the Spurs have never added the 2nd needed superstar, when several on this board are so quick to write off Kidd.

Whottt
07-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Question: Define Super Star

Fact: The Spurs have won a title with those non superstars you mentioned.

Fact: Kidd hasn't won a title and is supposedly coming here to nutride one.

Fact: Kidd is 30.

Fact: Many superstars become injury prone and slower after turning 30.

Fact: We should be returning our starting roster from our NBA champion team minus the Admiral.

Fact: There are SuperStar caliber players out there that can fill the Admiral's spot better than Jason Kidd can.

genghisrex
07-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Fact: Kidd hasn't won a title and is supposedly coming here to nutride one.Why is this standard only applied to Kidd? O'Neal hasn't won a title and neither has Brand. None of the major FAs available this year are former champions, unless you count Pippen among them. Should Spurs fans disdain any talented FA coming to us this summer to "nutride" a championship?

picnroll
07-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Bucher on Sports Center on ESPN said rumors were that Mourning was likely to go as a package with Kidd to either Dallas or San Antonio wherever Kidd landed. That if Kidd stayed in NJ Mourning would go to Dallas.

NCaliSpurs
07-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Yes, Kandi is in that list, and yes the Spurs are considering him

Try

Big -- Rasho, Mourning, Malone, Kandi
Small-- Payton, Magette, Arenas, Odom(sf)

I think we can win with our current lineup. Another year of growth and some new high quality role players, and we will be much better than we were last year, a championship year.

Acquiring these types of players could also give us future flexibility to resign our young studs - Manu and Parker.

If we could get any of those bigs in addition to Kidd, then I would put him as option 3. I just don't think we would have the money to do both (with the exception of Malone).

However, if we can't get the right mix, I am all for getting kidd.

Whottt
07-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Genghis the answer to that question is simple...because it riles the pro kidd faction :wink

They take digs at Parker, the Parker faction take digs at Kidd...the Pro Parker's are more righteous though, at least Parker's a Spur, not a member of an opposing team.

To get more philosophical about it..neither Brand nor O'Neal are considered the best in the NBA at their positions and conceding that they can't get the job done for their own team. Neither Brand nor O'Neal are would be walking out on their own team to join the team that just beat them in the finals. Neither Brand nor O'Neal are percieved to be nearing the end of their careers and trying to get a ring before it's over. We have a vacancy and legitimate need in our starting roster that Brand and O'Neal will fill, a starter need not be bumped to the bench in order for them to come here. . .

Like a reporter in an article I recently read supposed...what did Mitch Richmond accomplish by going to LA to get his ring? Do people really look at him as a champion?

If Karl Malone goes to LA and becomes a sidekick, walks out on his career long team to join a dynasty in intermission, replacing Samaki Walker(another nutrider) to win a title...what has he really accomplished?

Don't worry about it though..Kidd isn't a nutrider IMO. He won't come and it will be his choice and have nothing to do with what we here at FSP have discussed.

texbound
07-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Bucher on Sports Center on ESPN said rumors were that Mourning was likely to go as a package with Kidd to either Dallas or San Antonio wherever Kidd landed. That if Kidd stayed in NJ Mourning would go to Dallas.

Does the fact that Mourning is likely to come with Kidd change things for the anti-Kidd group? The Spurs fill a need with Mourning, who was regarded as one of the best big men, and add a superstar in Kidd.

PG-Kidd
SG-Parker
SF-Bowen
PF-Duncan
C-Mourning

BPG-Parker
BSG-Manu
BSF-Jax
BPF-Rose
BC-Willis

Rotation
Take Parker out for Manu
Take Bowen out for Jax
Take Rose out for Mourning and slide Duncan over to C
Take Kidd out for Parker
Take Duncan out for Mourning or Willis

That's a nice rotation to work with and manageable.

Tex

DuffMcCartney
07-06-2003, 03:37 PM
The Spurs fill a need with Mourning, who was regarded as one of the best big men, and add a superstar in Kidd.

You fucked up right there. Mourning was one of the best big men but I doubt he will even be close to what he was.

Whottt
07-06-2003, 03:41 PM
(This message was left blank)

MannyIsGod
07-06-2003, 03:55 PM
mourning is a gamble, but if he's half of what he was, he's the best center to add hands down, regardless of kidd.

It's very simple, the caproom can't be saved, unless we sign one year deals,thats not going to happen, who the **** wants one year deals?

Then we have to use it this year, and bottom line is that regardless of how old you think kidd is (he's not old), how overrated he is (he's not, he's carried a damn team for 2 years now), or how great parker is (he's not, he has a habbit of disapearing), Kidd is the best option out there.

I love parker, I really do, but he's given public endorsement to this idea, and if he's lying, i don't think he would have lied in private with Pop. I've heard here that Parker woudln't last as the starting 2 guard, yet I have yet to hear a reason why.

If a quck small 2 guard like Iverson can last at the 2, why can't Parker? And don't use the excuse that he'll get killed physicaly because he's never taken it strong to the rack and he's not giong to start this year. He's either going to shoot his jumper, or hit the runner.

You know part of me wants Kidd to come now, so that next year, some of us can say I TOLD YOU SO.

texbound
07-06-2003, 04:03 PM
You fucked up right there. Mourning was one of the best big men but I doubt he will even be close to what he was.

How is that fucking up? He is no longer one the best big men, because he didn't play last year. How do you know he won't be able to withstand the season? The Doctors have cleared him to play. It's not as if he tore his knee or his back up and can't move around as well. He has the same motion and ability now that he had when he left. The only question is his stamina. If monitored right, he would be the best big man the Spurs could get to join with Kidd and he woiuld be cheap as well (around 4 mill per). That's not fucking up, as you so eloquently put it.

Tex

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Duff,

I guess the way to look at is that even if he's only half as good as he once was, that would still make Zo better than anyone not named Shaq.

I must say as feverishly as opposed as I am to getting Kidd, if Zo comes "with the package" then I'd have to shut up for now.

AHF

Archie
07-06-2003, 07:58 PM
I don't get it. LA getting proven talent like GP and Malone is something that we are to fear, yet the Spurs getting a younger proven talent like Kidd is supposed to be awful.

You never pass on talent like Kidd. The Spurs cannot afford to let their talent base slide. They'd be replacing a 35 year old former superstar with a current one. You can't ask for more than that. Some of you are so narrowminded.

ducks
07-06-2003, 08:08 PM
passing on kidd if oneal says yes. that is suppose to be bad?

Archie
07-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Ducks, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll catch up with the discussion sooner or later.

FUCKING A.

TwoHandJam
07-07-2003, 02:58 AM
If we cannot get Brand or O'Neal, Kidd and Zo would still be a hugely successful offseason. No doubt.

Ghost Writer
07-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Fine, Arch. You wan't Kidd so bad?

Trade Parker to get him and a viable starting center.

I don't want Parker and Kidd on this team in the backcourt together.

I want a Robinson replacement.

I don't want Kidd if he's gonna screw up the rotation and we can't sign a starting center.

I'll gladly take Kidd if he doesn't prevent us from a traditional lineup.

:cooldevil