PDA

View Full Version : Trivia question

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Who are the top three scorers in NBA history who were never drafted by an NBA team?

gospursgojas
11-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Alright...who are they???

JamStone
11-14-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm guessing John Starks is one of them.

JamStone
11-14-2005, 02:21 AM
Brad Miller might be on his way to being one of them ...

timvp
11-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Moses Malone, David Wesley and John Starks is what my tired brain comes up with.

conqueso
11-14-2005, 02:30 AM
Tricky...do players who were originally drafted into the ABA and later showed up on an NBA team (either through the dispersal draft of "free agency") count? If so, that's an easy one:

Moses Malone: 27409
Elvin Hayes: 27313
Alex English: 25613

I'm guessing that these players don't count though, so I really don't have a clue.

Richie Guerin wasn't drafted, and he's like 97th all time with 14676. Is he one of the three?

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 02:50 AM
Moses Malone, David Wesley and John Starks is what my tired brain comes up with.

:tu

Wesley just passed Starks on the list.

Tricky...do players who were originally drafted into the ABA and later showed up on an NBA team (either through the dispersal draft of "free agency") count? If so, that's an easy one:

No, that should have meant "undrafted by anyone".

Elvin Hayes: 27313

Elvin Hayes was the #1 pick in the NBA draft in 1968.

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Richie Guerin wasn't drafted, and he's like 97th all time with 14676. Is he one of the three?

Guerin was drafted in the second round of the 1954 draft by the Knicks.

conqueso
11-14-2005, 03:01 AM
:
Elvin Hayes was the #1 pick in the NBA draft in 1968.

But before that, he was drafted by the Houston Mavericks in the ABA. He never played a game for them though, opting instead to join the San Diego Rockets in the NBA.

And about Richie Guerin, I messed up on that one...he was drafted in '54, but didn't play until '56. A six-time all star (averaging almost 30 points per game in 61-62), I think he probably should be in the HoF. His Knicks could just never make the playoffs, but he was a beast.

JamStone
11-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Follow Marquis Daniels' career. Barring injury, he very well could be up there with those guys.

timvp
11-14-2005, 03:23 AM
:tu

I would like to dedicate this thread to Free Time, for without you I would not be able to accumulate such useless info.

:smokin

MI21
11-14-2005, 05:17 AM
I would of guessed Mose Malone, and then had absolutely no idea.

Tough question.

Jimcs50
11-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Malone was committed to attend Maryland when the Utah Stars drafted him and stole him from my Terps. They would have won at least 3 championships with him.

:cuss

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Malone was committed to attend Maryland when the Utah Stars drafted him and stole him from my Terps. They would have won at least 3 championships with him.

:cuss

This brings up a good point (first time that can be said about a statement involving the Terps).

I thought Malone was actually drafted by the ABA, too, but figured I was wrong because of the question. If he, then this makes a lot more player eligible, since we can find lots of guys drafted by the ABA who weren't by the NBA (Gervin I think being one of them).

The real answer should be limited to TOTALLY undrafted players.

conqueso
11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
This brings up a good point (first time that can be said about a statement involving the Terps).

I thought Malone was actually drafted by the ABA, too, but figured I was wrong because of the question. If he, then this makes a lot more player eligible, since we can find lots of guys drafted by the ABA who weren't by the NBA (Gervin I think being one of them).

The real answer should be limited to TOTALLY undrafted players.

Malone was the seventh pick of the third round (!) by the Utah Stars. John Lucas was the #1 pick in the draft that year. Oops! He was then picked up by Portland in the ABA dispersal draft 2 years later.

Gervin was drafted by the Squires in '73 in the ABA special circumstances draft (and played with Dr. J.), then again by the Phoenix Suns in the '74 NBA draft. Obviously he never played for the Suns, but they still believed they owned his rights and made a big deal about it when Gervin came to S.A.

ShoogarBear
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Then I would say Moses is ineligible for this list.

So then Wesley is 1, Starks is 2, and 3 is . . . ?

implacable44
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
john starks has to be in there -- you are discounting moses malone from what I can read in prior posts - he was not drafted by the NBA - but we will discount him because he would be number 1. - David Wesley was not drafted -- and is currently playing for the rockets. --maybe Darrell Armstrong ?