PDA

View Full Version : Heat now a player in FA

MrCarmenE
07-04-2003, 04:11 AM
www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heatmain04jul04,0,5824964.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heatmain04jul04,0,5824964.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat)
Carter's shocking oversight may allow Heat to pursue major free-agency acquistions

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer

July 4, 2003

A shocking oversight by Anthony Carter suddenly has established the Heat as a major player in NBA free agency, one now with the salary-cap space to sign the likes of Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal or Gilbert Arenas.

The staggering lapse by the veteran point guard effectively terminates the Heat's financial obligation and unexpectedly has it in position to spend as much as $11 million this summer on upgrades.

T Park Num 9
07-04-2003, 04:16 AM
why the hell would any of those guys want to play
with that piece of crap team and that out of touch moron for a coach.

mattyc2422
07-04-2003, 04:45 AM
You would thing the Heat will now chase hard for someone like Speedy Claxton because their PG position is an obvious deficiency, unless combo-guard Wade can play PG.

genghisrex
07-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Wow, what a screw up! If $11 million is the correct figure, though, that's not enough for a 30% max FA (Kidd, O'Neal). I think $11 million may be somewhat of a generous estimate, too -- by my calculations the number could be closer to $10.5 million or less (depending on the cap).

I don't think this puts Miami in the running for Kidd or O'Neal, but everyone else is a possibility. I suspect that Arenas or Odom will be in Florida next year. The Heat also have an outside chance at Brand. I bet Sterling would sign-and-trade for Wade + a pick.

picnroll
07-04-2003, 11:48 AM
I have a feeling Mr Duffy will be getting a call from Mr Carter's lawyer.

Butler/Wade/Arenas or Odom is starting to make a pretty nice team. If Riley were a patient man and waited until '05 to clear Jones and Grant's salaries and add a dominant big he'd have a verrrry solid team. I wouldn't trade Wade. I'd try to add talent for free. In the meantime sign Mourning for a couple of years and with Grant and the core they'd still be very competitive in the East if Mourning's health holds up.

alamo50
07-04-2003, 12:22 PM
"that out of touch moron for a coach"

Show some respect for Pat Riley man.

ImFromBeijing
07-04-2003, 01:53 PM
why the hell would any of those guys want to play with that piece of crap team and that out of touch moron for a coach.

1. No state tax.
2. Living in Miami (which is ten times better than SA if you ask anyone who doesn't live in SA).

Guys like GP or Malone will never play for the Heat but you can't say the same about ONeal or Brand.

picnroll
07-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Guys like GP or Malone will never play for the Heat but you can't say the same about ONeal or Brand.
Right now it appears Malone is a whore who'l lay down and spread his legs for anyone with a shot at a ring. He's trying to see if he can get another whore to lay down next to him. Mourning stays in Miami, Payton won't go to LA, the Heat lineup Odom or Arenas and don' be surprised to be seeing Malone spreading his legs in Mimai at vet minimum for an Eastern conference title and a shot at a ring.

IcemanCometh
07-04-2003, 02:15 PM
miami is the 2nd worst sports city in the usa

MannyIsGod
07-04-2003, 02:28 PM
wow, what an idiot agent.

KoriEllis
07-04-2003, 03:06 PM
I don't believe anyone "forgot". The league should look into this. The Heat could have easily given him money on the side to create caproom with this supposed memory lapse.

NCaliSpurs
07-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Exactly Kori. I posted this in the other thread.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2003, 03:39 PM
"Somebody just mentioned this to me," Duffy said when contacted Thursday evening before abruptly ending the phone call with the Sun Sentinel.

He's either the worst agent this side of Chris Webber's brother or something's fishy.

Speedy should switch over to Babby, this isn't the last we'll hear of this.

Wow, what a screw up! If $11 million is the correct figure, though, that's not enough for a 30% max FA (Kidd, O'Neal). I think $11 million may be somewhat of a generous estimate, too -- by my calculations the number could be closer to $10.5 million or less (depending on the cap).
If the cap is $42.3 million like the Sentinel reported last month, the Heat will have about $11.08 million.

A young max FA would cost $10.575 million. Did Duffy screw AC to make room for his other client Olowokandi? I won't put anything above this turdburglar.

guitarsoup
07-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Assume with me for just a second that Indiana would S&T Brad Miller for Eddie Jones.

Heat throw a little too much money at Andre Miller and he signs there.

pg Andre Miller
sg Dwyane Wade
sf Caron Butler
pf Brian Grant
c Brad Miller

That's pretty sick.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Assume with me for just a second that Indiana would S&T Brad Miller for Eddie Jones.
That's a big assumption.

IcemanCometh
07-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the heat had nothing to do with it and it was just the agent poorly representing his client in favor of another client. He stands to make much more money with olowakandi having more options than with carters deal. Never trust an agent.

T Park Num 9
07-04-2003, 05:34 PM
Miami?????

Ive been there, hot, humid ALL YEAR!!!

High city taxes. overpriced living areas.

No thanks.

Beijing, keep with your overpopulated piece of crap land and shut your piehole on towns you dont know moron.

T Park Num 9
07-04-2003, 05:37 PM
WHy should I???

IMO he got lucky coaching one of the most talented teams in this history of basketball.

Riley VERY overatted.

Screw Riley, also his comments about Bowen when he was a free agent showed me who he is.

Riley has shown his ass many times, I have 0 espect for the greasy haired George Hamilton wanna be piece of crap.

DuffMcCartney
07-04-2003, 06:13 PM
2. Living in Miami (which is ten times better than SA if you ask anyone who doesn't live in SA).

Miami is a god damn shit hole, I've been there many times. Its a dump.

IcemanCometh
07-04-2003, 06:16 PM
you've obviously never been to south beach

SanAntonioBard
07-04-2003, 07:09 PM
If the Heat are cheating, it wouldn't be the first time. 'Zo Mourning couldn't keep his mouth shut about having a deal "done" and it cost them the hottest FA at the time, Juwan Howard. His contract was nullified, and he went back to the Wiz, where for some reason, Abe Pollin felt compelled to pay him the same ridiculous figure that Miami was going to. Thus was born the legacy of one of the WORST contracts in NBA history. It also set up the rule to keep this from happening again, where your own FAs have a cap figure on your cap.

gunawanspurs
07-05-2003, 12:52 AM
HTML Comments are not allowed

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2003, 03:47 AM
Y'all fools bagging on Miami are a bunch of idiots. TPark, it doesn't surprise me as you're not legal to get into clubs, but I digress.

For an NBA player who's not married, Miami's probably in the top 3 places to live (LA and NY being the other two), South Beach is ridiculous.

AHF

freak
07-05-2003, 03:52 AM
alamo 50,

although i don't follow tpark's lines of calling people moron and so forth, nobody needs to show any respect beyond the fact that he is another person.

riley is one of the most overrated figures in basketball history.

he has taken the heat and run them into the ground.
(they did all they could with a healthy mourning and were still never remotely close to a championship.)

not sure why a "spurs fan" would take a stand for riley, but then again i also can't understand how someone can live their life by following someone elses career.

gunawanspurs
07-05-2003, 04:08 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, what happen to my post ? Can somebody explain it to me ?

No HTML, what HTML ?

All that i posted was a question to genghisrex about Miami salary situation, regarding their chance of moving some deadweight contract in creating caproom for the future.

What's wrong with that ? :wtf :rolleyes

Did Dusty hack into this forum to have some fun or something ?:rolleyes