PDA

View Full Version : Trade: NASR for Al Harrington or Josh Smith?

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Atlanta has zilch at center, but they are deep in SFs (6) and at least three of them have star potential. They probably have to do something and the Spurs aren't in their conference. My two choices would be:

Al Harrington (25) is 6'9 and shoots well. Unrestricted free agent in 2006.
Josh Smith (20) 6'9' physical defender with great blocking ability. All Rookie 2nd team in 2005

Others: Josh Childress 6'8" swingman G/SF. All rookie 2nd team 2005. They just brought in Joe Johnson so he might be available.

Marvin Williams: Their 1st round pick. No chance for him, but he's bound to push someone off the roster at this position.

Guru of Nothing
11-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Stat-wise, Zaza Pachulia has looked decent so far, at 12.8 ppg and 9.8 rbs. I'm sure he is a lot cheaper too.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Atlanta has a good, realtively cheap starting center. They could just wait for the summer to throw money at Nazr if they really wanted him.

Marcus Bryant
11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Look a little to the Northwest from Atlanta...

Brutalis
11-14-2005, 03:25 PM
The Hawks must be pretty ticked. Joe isn't even getting 20 and they are still winless.

Never the less I doubt they would let such a talent go for a lesser one seeing how bad off they already are.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Stat-wise, Zaza Pachulia has looked decent so far, at 12.8 ppg and 9.8 rbs. I'm sure he is a lot cheaper too.

I hadn't checked his stats. (Who checks the Hawks?) I didn't expect them to be that good, even though I guess he's playing most of the minutes instead of Edwards.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Atlanta has a good, realtively cheap starting center. They could just wait for the summer to throw money at Nazr if they really wanted him.

You may be right. But meanwhile they sure have a logjam at Forward.

Zounds are there no teams who can use ONE of our centers?

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Look a little to the Northwest from Atlanta...Memphis? They have much less of a glut now a the swing spots. The best we could probably do is Lo Wright if the Spurs think he's a better fit.

I'd try over the border for Eric and Aaron Williams, maybe.

ploto
11-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Spurs tried to get a SF from Atlanta this summer.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Of course NASR isn't showing much progress here in learning the rotations and may not be in shape since he missed most of pre-season, but does anyone disagree that he's probably the one that'll be traded if they can?

Otherwise I see him simply leaving next summer in an unwise bidding war for a big man free agent with some playing time and some ability.

Guru of Nothing
11-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Memphis? They have much less of a glut now a the swing spots. The best we could probably do is Lo Wright if the Spurs think he's a better fit.

I'd try over the border for Eric and Aaron Williams, maybe.

Is it west by northwest or north by northwest?

I thought he meant Chicago, with Luol Deng, Nocioni and Tim Thomas - Nocioni being the intended target.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Spurs tried to get a SF from Atlanta this summer.

Yeah, but the word I heard was that we offered Rasho plus somone. I thought NASR wasn't on the block last summer. Superficially, he's more attractive than Slovakenstein.

leemajors
11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
they wouldn't give up nocioni.

Gummi
11-14-2005, 03:38 PM
There's one guy on the Memphis team that I would love to have and that's Shane Battier, but he recently signed a contract extension and therefor is not very suitable for the Spurs.

I really like Harrington's game, but he's a SF and I believe we already have two players that fill that position pretty well, Bowen and Finley. And also he's a free agent after the season and I'm pretty sure he's going to get a big time offer from some sad team that the Spurs wouldn't even try to match. Also he plays NO D at all, so that's another thing.

I think the best scenario for the Spurs to trade Nazr woud be for a 1st round pick or maybe 2 first rounders. His contract is up after the season and he's not going to come back if he's playing 6 minutes a night and he's also going to get some nice offers after the season.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Ah, that's a possibility -- he said "a little" -- that'd be nice. Nocioni makes some sense for both teams, though there might be some trouble matching deals.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Is it west by northwest or north by northwest?

I thought he meant Chicago, with Luol Deng, Nocioni and Tim Thomas - Nocioni being the intended target.

I suspect the Delphic Oracle will weigh in with his punditry sooner or later.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Does anyone find but me find it strange that a very deep Championship team really doesn't have anyone with much trade value because of age, contract, ability, and length of contract?

We'll be fine for this year and then Pop and the FO will start over when all these vets contracts are up next year or the next.

SlovenianGuy
11-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Nazr for Diaw + ?
Phoenix could use a big body. Diaw can play at four different positions. He is also a very good defender.

Bruno
11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Nazr for Diaw + ?
Phoenix could use a big body. Diaw can play at four different positions. He is also a very good defender.

I don't see any reason to help Phoenix.
I rather trade with Seattle for picks and Gelabale.

If we trade Nazr good target are teams which need a center and which won't be under the cap next year (These teams can't sign Nazr next summer via Free Agency).

Spurs will trade Nazr for expiring (to be under the tax in 06/07), picks or young SF.

Spurs will take back less than $4.8M in salary to be under the tax in 05/06.

A trade like Aaron Williams + Joey Graham with Toronto for Nazr could work.

Anyway, Spurs will try to trade Rasho before.

duncan2k5
11-14-2005, 07:06 PM
hell no...Al is gonna bring problems here. let him stay in the ATL. Za might be good though...and MAYBE josh smith...but his game would have to become more refined...but i like NAZ...ppl seem to forget the timely offensive rebounds and big games in the playoffs...including a monster putback against detroit to spark momentum

timvp
11-14-2005, 08:52 PM
If the Spurs are to trade with the Hawks, the swingman to get is Josh Childress. He's the most "Spur" and probably the most attainable out of that group.

ploto
11-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Anyway, Spurs will try to trade Rasho before.

When in the Pop era have the Spurs traded a starter, especially during the season? DA was a sign and trade.

If the Spur's priority was still to trade Rasho, Nazr would be getting more time on the court to get in shape and rhythm. His minutes are actually down in the past 3 games-- Rasho at over 24 minutes a game and Nazr at 7- a lot in garbage time. If they were showcasing Rasho they would take some minutes from Horry to do it-- but not Nazr who would be in great need of that time if Rasho were on the way out.

xcoriate
11-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah I think Childress is definately the one on the outside looking in, still he has a lot of potential and would be a huge grab for the spurs.

howard2
11-14-2005, 09:31 PM
The Spurs could use a SF that is young and athletic.
What about the Knicks Trevor Ariza.

wildbill2u
11-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah I think Childress is definately the one on the outside looking in, still he has a lot of potential and would be a huge grab for the spurs.

I put Childress at number three on my availability list, because he's also able to play guard and if they traded him, Atlanta would still have too many good young SFs looking for playing time. And number three on my wish list as well.

On the other hand, TimVP says "He's the most "Spur" and probably the most attainable out of that group."

Any one out of that group would be great.

timvp
11-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Josh Smith would be nice, but the Hawks won't give him up for one of the Spurs' scrub centers. Al Harrington will never be a Spur. He's Antoine Walker lite.

Dre_7
11-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Who is this Nasr I keep reading about???

velik_m
11-15-2005, 02:44 AM
Nazr for Nachbar :spin

Bruno
11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
When in the Pop era have the Spurs traded a starter, especially during the season? DA was a sign and trade.

If the Spur's priority was still to trade Rasho, Nazr would be getting more time on the court to get in shape and rhythm. His minutes are actually down in the past 3 games-- Rasho at over 24 minutes a game and Nazr at 7- a lot in garbage time. If they were showcasing Rasho they would take some minutes from Horry to do it-- but not Nazr who would be in great need of that time if Rasho were on the way out.

Nazr missed the preseason (he hasn't assimilate the deffensive schemes) and is not in great shape, that's why he doesn't play a lot.

I never say they are showcasing Rasho.

The fact is that Spurs won't keep Rasho and Nazr for the 06-07 season, they have tried to deal Rasho this summer and I don't think the fact that Nazr sucks in november due to family matters and Ramadan while rasho plays 7 average games (look at his stats) will change the front office mind.

Don't say me Pop say Rasho is very good because last year he says Spurs won't make any trade, th next day they trade Malik.

Don't misunterstood, I really like Rasho but it's likely that he will be traded before the deadline.

gameFACE
11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Rasho may be starting at this point but so what? No permanent rotations are set. Pop said yesterday on his show that Rasho is playing well but also that Nazr is starting to show that he's getting into the flow of things and will demand more minutes. I think it was Buford in his interview that said nothing is permanently set.

Rasho better be playing well. He's had two full season's and three camps with this team. But i wouldn't start riding either Rasho or Nazr's nuts.

xcoriate
11-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Put it this way you have Al Harrington who I dont really think fits here in terms of defensive 3...

Then you have:
Marvin Williams - Nop way they trade him

Josh Smith - I think they see a little Dominique in him. Maybe there blinded by the athletism but there is no way they trade him yet.

Johnson - Don't want the contract, not ready to move him yet.

Childress - The one at the back of the rotation. Quick (i see great potential as a defender) and has been listed as 6'9. In other words long 3 who can shoot (probably the best outside JJ) a bit and slice to the rim.

wildbill2u
11-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Looks like they are trying Josh Smith at the 4 and Harrington at the 3 with Johnson at the 2.

Childress backs up Johnson at guard and can swing to 3.

TDMVPDPOY
11-16-2005, 12:59 AM
hawks are tryin to clone there game like the suns of last season, this is a fuckn joke, JJ is a by-product of nash

LilMissSPURfect
11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but the word I heard was that we offered Rasho plus somone. I thought NASR wasn't on the block last summer. Superficially, he's more attractive than Slovakenstein.

Slovakenstein
:cooldevil :cooldevil

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't think either of our centers passed the Atlanta audition. If they don't pick it up, we're consigned to alot of small ball this season.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 11:35 AM
The Spurs are on track to shed Nazr and Radoslav within the year.

ploto
11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't think either of our centers passed the Atlanta audition. If they don't pick it up, we're consigned to alot of small ball this season.

I think it had much more to do with switching Duncan off Harrington and onto Pachulia/ Edwards. Who was Rasho supposed to cover?

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Who was Rasho supposed to cover?Who indeed, since it's happening every other game.

wildbill2u
11-16-2005, 01:54 PM

I notice that neither Rasho or Nazr got a whole lot of minutes. Have the Spurs decided to move TD permanently to center at this stage of his career?

gameFACE
11-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I think Tim might do that later in his career. But Horry started the second half last night and against Boston the other day. That should give a clue to the status of the big guys right now.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 05:29 PM
we need to get younger, make the trade

trade: Rahso, Beno, Barry for Al

Well, the Spurs do have their instant offense bench guys already.

Mark in Austin
11-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Ah, that's a possibility -- he said "a little" -- that'd be nice. Nocioni makes some sense for both teams, though there might be some trouble matching deals.

I know Chicago will have 20+ million to play with this summer, and I think they're currently under the cap, so as long as the Spurs send out more than they take back, it should work.

Problem is, unless the Bulls feel too jammed, they could just wait till summer and go after Nazr then. No need to give away Nocioni unless they feel they need size now.

I was sitting 5th row for the game last night, and Childress looks a lot smaller than I thought he was. He 'e the smallest "long 3" I've seen. It looks like somebody stuck him on a copy machine and ran out a version reduced in size by 15%. :lol

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 06:26 PM
I know Chicago will have 20+ million to play with this summer, and I think they're currently under the cap, so as long as the Spurs send out more than they take back, it should work.I believe they are over the cap now with Chandler's new deal, but something may be able to worked out with the 25% + $100k rule.

ALVAREZ6
11-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Why is Nazr barely playing???

ploto
11-16-2005, 11:08 PM
I notice that neither Rasho or Nazr got a whole lot of minutes. Have the Spurs decided to move TD permanently to center at this stage of his career?

No.

ploto
11-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Who indeed, since it's happening every other game.

2 out of 8??

Just so you know-- Houston- Rasho plays more.
Phoenix-- Rasho plays less.
Sacramento and Golden State- Rasho plays more.

If Harrington hadn't gone off on Tim, the switch wouldn't have been made.

Kori Ellis
11-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I dont get why JJ is not playing PG. THats what they got him for. I would trade Childress straight up for Rasho. The only problems (major) is the money doesnt work and the GM of the Hawks isnt that dumb.

They tried to use JJ at point guard and the experiment failed after just a few games. JJ was at the point, Joshes at the wings and Harrington/Pachulia up front throughout preseason I think, but that lineup only last through opening night. Now only one Josh starts and they use Lue as the starting PG, but JJ is used at the point in stretches throughout the game. They change their starting lineup almost every night. Eight or nine different players have started this season for them already.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Just so you know-- Houston- Rasho plays more.
Phoenix-- Rasho plays less.
Sacramento and Golden State- Rasho plays more.Just so you know, this is precisely the reason Rasho will continue to be shopped no matter how much you hold your hands over your ears and say "la la la"....

Sacramento and Golden State? WCF preview?

ploto
11-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Just so you know, this is precisely the reason Rasho will continue to be shopped no matter how much you hold your hands over your ears and say "la la la"....

Sacramento and Golden State? WCF preview?
Take my word for it. The Spurs are NOT shopping Rasho and he isn't going anywhere this season.

Did you read today's paper-- it says it's about teams going with smaller line-ups and match-ups. The Spurs are fortunate they have that luxury afforded to them by a deep team.

You know Rasho's time against Sac is because he always does a great job on Brad Miller. And actually, Rasho matches up better against Phoenix this season than last.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Take my word for it.Why? Who are you?