PDA

View Full Version : Denver (3-4) at Dallas (4-2)

ducks
11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Denver (3-4) at Dallas (4-2)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: 8:30 pm EST Tue Nov 15, 2005
TV: NBATV Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets

After playing five of their first six games on the road, the Dallas Mavericks return to the American Airlines Center looking to continue their home domination of the Denver Nuggets.
The Mavericks, facing the Nuggets for the first time this season, have won 16 of their last 18 home meetings with Denver.

Despite being bothered by a lower back strain, Dirk Nowitzki scored 30 points, and Jason Terry added 26 to lead the Mavericks past New Orleans 109-103 on Saturday night at Oklahoma City.

"I had a good rhythm early on and that usually gets my confidence going," Nowitzki said.

Terry scored eight points in the final 4:22 to help the Mavs seal their second straight win.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have a lot of offensive weapons on this team, from the starting lineup to the bench," Terry said, whose 26 points were a season high.

Dallas, though, may need to raise its defensive intensity Tuesday against Denver center Marcus Camby if it wants to pick up a third straight win over the Nuggets at home. Camby led Denver with 18 points, 22 rebounds and seven blocked shots in Sunday's 102-91 home win over Minnesota.

Camby has averaged 19.3 points and 16.7 rebounds in his last three games. He leads the NBA in rebounding (14.1 per game) and blocks (3.7).

"Marcus was really good (Sunday)," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "That was fun to watch. He has had three or four games this year where he was a dominant player. When you are playing against Kevin Garnett, that's a pretty impressive performance."

Camby's outstanding play was even more timely considering Denver was without starting power forward Kenyon Martin, who sat out with left knee tendinitis. The knee pain has lingered since offseason surgery.

"I was just going out there and trying to play hard," Camby said. "With (Martin) being out, I was just trying to step up my level of play and will my team to victory."

Karl gave guard DerMarr Johnson his first start of the season, and he responded with 17 points on 7-for-12 shooting, including 3-for-5 from 3-point range.

Karl gave Johnson the start ahead of veteran Voshon Lenard in hopes of sparking an offense that had topped 100 points just twice in the first six games.

STANDINGS (through Nov. 13): Nuggets - 3rd place (tied), 1 GB, Northwest Division. Mavericks - 2nd place, 1/2 GB, Southwest Division.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Nuggets - F Carmelo Anthony, F Francisco Elson, C Camby, G Johnson, G Andre Miller. Mavericks - F Josh Howard, F Nowitzki, C Erick Dampier, G Terry, G Doug Christie.

TEAM LEADERS: Nuggets - Anthony, 18.0 ppg; Camby, 14.1 rpg; Miller, 8.3 apg. Mavericks - Nowitzki, 24.2 ppg and 8.5 rpg; Terry, 4.0 apg.

2004-05 SEASON SERIES: Mavericks, 2-1.

LAST MEETING: Jan. 23; Mavericks, 95-93. At Dallas, Nowitzki had a game-high 35 points and 11 rebounds, and converted a three-point play with 17.9 seconds to go to lift the Mavericks to the victory.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Nuggets - 0-3 on the road; Mavericks - 1-0 at home.