PDA

View Full Version : $6 million for Olowokandi with nuggets or spurs?

ducks
07-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Olowokandi insists Nuggets on his list
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
July 1, 2003
With Gilbert Arenas' agent trying to get as many millions as he can out of the Denver Nuggets, it should be refreshing to the team that Michael Olowokandi is entering free agency with ideas other than just to get very rich.
"I don't think any human being should be making $80 (million) or $90 million compared to the worth of another," Olowokandi said Monday as he pondered the amazing dollars that are regularly bestowed upon basketball players. That doesn't mean Olowokandi, an unrestricted free-agent center who played the past five seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers, is willing to sign with the Nuggets for minimum wage. But it does give an indication that Olowokandi, who declined to be precise about his salary demands, won't steadfastly insist on a figure close to the maximum of about $10 million.
Arenas is another story. With today being the first day teams can negotiate with free agents, his agent, Dan Fegan, apparently continues to insist on a first-year salary of about $9 million. When 10 percent raises are considered over a six-year contract, the longest the Nuggets could give Arenas, that's $67.5 million, which is getting close to the territory where Olowokandi believes no man should be.
"The Nuggets may have (salary) cap room, but they don't want to attract a player strictly for the money," said Bill Duffy, Olowokandi's agent.
Olowokandi said the Nuggets are "very high" on his list, and indications are he could be had for a starting salary in the $6 million range when teams can sign free agents July 16. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's the first order of business for the Nuggets.
A source said Monday night that Nuggets officials will meet today in Miami with Heat unrestricted free-agent center Alonzo Mourning:shock . General manager Kiki Vandeweghe confirmed he and other officials are in Miami, but didn't name Mourning. Earlier in the day, Vandeweghe downplayed the immediate need for a center.
"I think our first priority is to address our backcourt and secondary is center," said Vandeweghe.
More precisely, that means somebody who can play the point. Arenas has been the leading candidate, but he might have priced himself out of reach for the Nuggets, who would prefer not to pay him more than $7 million for the first year.
New Jersey unrestricted free agent Jason Kidd is a long shot. Then there's Andre Miller, a Clippers restricted free agent who said Sunday that Denver is high on his list, and Atlanta restricted free agent Jason Terry.
"Absolutely, he's interested," said Terry's agent, Raymond Brothers. "His first choice is to return to the team he's on. But Denver is a young team that is putting together some good pieces, and that's definitely a team that has some interest."
While the prospect of a full season with Junior Harrington as the starter is enough to scare the Nuggets into trying to lock up a point guard first, they will have enough money to eventually turn to a big man. The Nuggets figure to be about $18 million under the cap when it is set in two weeks.
When he was a restricted free agent last summer, Olowokandi met with Vandeweghe and other team officials in Denver. He eventually opted to return to the Clippers for a one-year qualifying offer of $6.06 million.
But Olowokandi didn't end up helping his market value. Playing with a sore left knee, he averaged 12.3 points and 9.1 rebounds in 36 games. Olowokandi eventually underwent surgery to remove loose cartilage and ended up missing the final 2 ½ months of the season.
"I started last season on a bad knee, and I want to redeem myself," said Olowokandi.
Olowokandi, who also is considering San Antonio:shock , Miami and Utah, said re-signing with the Clippers is "an option, no matter how slight." But Olowokandi sure sounds as if the Nuggets top his list.
"It's a great place to play," he said. "It's a team that's moving forward. In a year from now, they could be a team making a lot of noise. . . . Who knows? It might work out (that he signs with the Nuggets)."
And it just might be a smooth negotiation.scoop (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_2079623,00.html)

Ghost Writer
07-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Give me Olowokandi for $6 million and give the rest to Gary The Glove if/when we fail to sign O'Neal or Brand.

If Camby gets traded to Portland and/or Howard leaves Denver, I'm gonna forget about Olowokandi being available as a last resort.

:cooldevil

Jimcs50
07-01-2003, 02:50 PM
No Payton, yes Speedy. Kandi is fine, or Miller or Nesterivic

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of (in the case of no Brand or O'Neal) bringing in Kandi or PJ for a little over the MLE and giving Payton the rest for a year.

I'd like to see us set it up, if need be, so that next summer we can still go after Brand and take care of Manu.

AHF

Admiral
07-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a great plan, Aggie.

DrEmilioLizardo
07-01-2003, 03:10 PM
The problem with that scenario is those players that we go OVER the cap to sign, count against the cap next year. You would have Kandi, Speedy(maybe), Jax all taking a bite out of the cap. If you are really set on going after Brand next year, make Mourning or someone a sick one year offer to get all the way to the cap, and then re-sign your others. Just Jax and Speedy probably won't cause too much of a cap hit to get Brand next year.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Exactly DocE.

And if they go below the cap by an amount greater than the MLE they will lose that and their shot at signing Ginobili.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Actually you're probably right Doc.

I wonder if it would work out numbers wise to split our cap room on Mourning and Payton this summer, and be able to get Brand and Manu next?

Too many numbers, I'm getting a headache trying to digest all this cap/cba/FA permutations nonsense.

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Also, no way Payton takes a one year deal.

Ghost Writer
07-01-2003, 03:48 PM
If we can't get O'Neal or Brand, I don't have a problem with giving Payton and Olowokandi 3-year deals.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Someone will break down and give Olowokandi 6 years. Won't be the Spurs.

Ghost Writer
07-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Six years after his injury-plagued, underwhelming season last year? Is Denver that gullible?

Would Olowokandi sign for 6 years at around $6 million each if it he truly believes he's better than that when healthy?

scott
07-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Is Denver that gullible?

Yes.

ducks
07-01-2003, 03:55 PM
how can Arenas think he is worth 9 million kidd is much better and only 3 million more a year?

Ghost Writer
07-01-2003, 03:59 PM
I want Arenas to go to Denver and Camby or Howard to stick around so Olowokandi won't be a lock to go there.

IcemanCometh
07-01-2003, 04:07 PM
you're a fool if you think payton comes here.

Ghost Writer
07-01-2003, 04:28 PM
No kidding, Ice. If you read what I wrote properly, you'd see I didn't say he was coming here or that it was even probable.

P.S.

Go fvck yourself. :lol

Ghost Writer
07-02-2003, 11:53 AM
DocE, what happened to your insistance than Olowokandi would get the max from Denver?

Question.

GrandeDavid
07-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Ghost coming backatcha hard! :lol

DrEmilioLizardo
07-02-2003, 12:23 PM
He may get it by the time this is all over, GW. He sounded kind of hurt that Denver brought in Mourning for a visit, and he hasn't gotten a call yet. When 'Zo signs in Dallas, Denver is going to turn Kandi's way, but at a price.

Ghost Writer
07-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Be that as it may, DocE, Olowokandi will not get the full monty just as I argued with you last year.

I bet he signs between $5-10 million. $7 million sounds about right.

timvp
07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm trying to think out of the box about Olowokandi. Maybe he could be a good pickup.

He's been stuck on the Clippers and that alone is enough to screw up anyone. He has very good size to be a dominant center.

The best sign to me is he's always played well against the Spurs.

This year, in his three games against the Spurs he had:

Dec 13: 20 points and 11 rebounds
Dec. 16: 17 points, 18 rebounds and 4 blocks
Jan. 5: 12 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks

In 2002, he was just as impressive.

Oct. 30: 4 points and 7 rebounds
Jan. 31: 20 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks
Feb. 14: 15 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks
Mar. 25: 26 points and 17 rebounds

Those are some nice numbers.

I'm thinking that maybe if he came to SA that he could turn his career around and be a very good center.

Either that or I'm losing it.

:drunk

Ghost Writer
07-02-2003, 04:32 PM
You are not losing it, timvp.

Once we take Olowokandi and put him in the Clippers Protection Program and de-ball him through a regimen of SPURSBASKETBALL, he will give us everything Robinson has since 1999 and at a much greater bargain.

Keep in mind that Olowokandi was ailing all last year.

Brand has been quoted as saying playing off the 'Kandi Man has opened up so much for his game.

PF Duncan
SF Bowen
C Olowokandi
PG Parker
SG Jackson

PG Claxton
SG Ginobili
PF Rose
C Willis

... plus about $5 million left over to blow on whomever.

That's not bad at all.

We'll have a Twin TOwers unit of two former #1 picks all over again.

adidas11
07-02-2003, 04:35 PM
Ghost, would you rather have Kandi over Jason Kidd on the Spurs, straight up? I'm starting to see your line of thinking, it actually makes for a sound argument.

Ghost Writer
07-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Olowokandi.

He's cheaper and a better fit. Period.

Jimcs50
07-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Man, all you guys are full of shit. You all called me insane for saying Kandi is going to be a good acquisition for SA if O'Neal falters, and now you are jumping on the bandwagon. You are like a bunch of women, always changing your minds.

T Park Num 9
07-02-2003, 05:51 PM
The only thing that troubles me

is the questioning of his work ethic, and his penenace for not listening to the coaches.

Both of those = Peanut head, so Im curious if these things are true or not.

If they ARE NOT, then yes at 5 to 7 mill hed be a good buy.

Him then sign and trade for a Gilbert Arenas, or a Ricky Davis.

Ghost Writer
07-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Jimmy, this is the first time I've seen you type the word 'Olowokandi', whereas I was pushing for this option over ayear ago on the other Forum.

T Park, some of your reservations about Olowokandi you once said about your new favorite Spurs, Stephen Jackson.

Get Olowokandi into Pop's boot camp and he'll get his @ss whipped into shape.

Trust.

adidas11
07-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Adding Kandi, who has a solid back to the basket game, and placing him in a big man rotation with Duncan, Rose, and perhaps Willis, can be effective. Duncan can continue in his face the basket game while Kandi operates in the post. If the Spurs want to go to Duncan exclusively in the post, sub Kandi out, and place Malik in for the hustle play and cutting to the basket. While Duncan takes a breather, Kandi respresents a solid #1 post option. I can see this working. Of course, the main concern is Kandi's attitude, and how he will mesh with the POP-Military System.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2003, 07:22 PM
What matters is who your top 2 or 3 players are in the NBA. There is nothing important about the Twin Tower lineup. Definitely nothing that would prevent passing on a Jason Kidd for Michael Olowokandi from being labelled as one of the all-time worse NBA personnel decisions EVER.

Jimcs50
07-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Jimmy, this is the first time I've seen you type the word 'Olowokandi', whereas I was pushing for this option over ayear ago on the other Forum.

Ghost!!!That is a bunch of crap. I have been talking about him for weeks as a viable option if we do not get O'Neal. Check out the FA contest and see for yourself. I was discussing this subject with Kori a couple of weeks ago and I asked her if she had seen him play this year, not when she has Clippers tickets. I was impressed with his size and his game many times. He might be a little lazy, but hey, he plays for the Clippers for crying out loud...who can get pumped up each night knowing that your owner sucks and you are going to lose 60% of the time?

T Park Num 9
07-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes passing on a 7 foot blocking center for a 30 year old

horrible shooting point guard that cant take a 21 year old to the hole.

Yes lets do that, because, the twin towers thing never worked.

KoriEllis
07-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Jim actually has been saying Kandi is a viable backup to the O'Neal plan for a while.

I'm still not sure about it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm still not sure either, but I'm starting to warm up.

The only thing that troubles me

is the questioning of his work ethic, and his penenace for not listening to the coaches.

TPark, the same used to be said about Stephen Jackson.

If we can turn Buckets around, we could do the same with Kandi.

Still not sold, but if we were to miss out on Brand and O'Neal, and couldn't put together a Brad Miller/Gary Payton third option, I'd be for looking at Kandi.

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2003, 09:09 PM
No thanks.

You can afford to make a 2 year, $1 mil bet on a Stephen Jackson, it's quite another to talk about betting 6 years and $60 mil or whatever on Michael Olowokandi. Everyone bitches about Kidd's shooting % but WTF is a 42.7% career FG% for a starting center?

F that.

Admiral
07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
No thanks.

You can afford to make a 2 year, $1 mil bet on a Stephen Jackson, it's quite another to talk about betting 6 years and $60 mil or whatever on Michael Olowokandi. Everyone bitches about Kidd's shooting % but WTF is a 42.7% career FG% for a starting center?

F that. -Marcus Bryant

Then please explain something to me, Marcus. You're against betting 6 years at $10 million per on a guy like Olowokandi, which is understandable (although I wouldn't mind him for $5-$6 million per), yet you are willing to bet on the following:

1. Jason Kidd's ability to adjust to and be successful in the Spurs' half-court sets.

2. Jason Kidd's ability to somehow justifty a max deal several years down the road.

3. Tony Parker's acceptance of Kidd being on the team.

4. Tony Parker's ability to play shooting guard.

5. Stephen Jackson's or Bruce Bowen's acceptance of their demotion to bench player.

6. The Spurs' ability to bring in a capable center to start alongside Tim Duncan.

7. Tim Duncan's happiness over and satisfaction with his new frontcourt mate, the same guy he's going to war with every night and must be able to count on.

You owe us some answers, Marcus, because right now it appears that your logic is flawed.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Yes, I'm willing to see the Spurs give a max contract to a great player. Call that whatever you want, it's certainly not "flawed."

Jimcs50
07-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Great player??? Hardly.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Lay off the Merlot, Jimmy.

Jimcs50
07-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Marcus, IMO, great is used way too often in sports. Kidd is not great, he is good, better than most, but not Hall of Famer, not even close. Great pointguards still playing (last year)= Stockton and Payton. Both will be in Hall of Fame. A career 14 pt/game player and 40% shooter is NOT great, I'm sorry but that is a fact.

timvp
07-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Olowokandi would be a damn big risk. He's going to cost money and might flop worse than anyone in Spurs' history.

Or he could turn out to be a good player.

Only time will tell.*

*Hopefully time tells us Brand or Jermaine.

Gridmed
07-03-2003, 02:00 AM
I haven't combed through the boards much, so I hope this question hasnt been answered 10 times over but...

Why do we want O'Neal, another true Power Forward, when the only potential (pending signing) Center we have is KW. To compete in the West, you MUST have a quality defending 5-man, and I don't think O'Neal is the answer. He simply doesn't have the size to defend a Shaq. On the other hand, Kandi is 7 ft, over 270lbs, decent defender and rebounder with an X-factor of recent injury. I'd personally rather see Kandi than O'Neil on my spurs team, especially with the moolah O'Neal is seeking...

O'Neal
Position: F-C
Born: 10/13/78
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 242 lbs. / 109,8 kg.

Kandi
Position: C
Born: 04/03/75
Height: 7-0 / 2,13
Weight: 270 lbs. / 122,5 kg.
College: U. of Pacific '98

Let me know why I'm crazy :eyebrow

-DG

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Grid,

You must be joking, right? Kandi over Jermaine? WTF?

Tim plays center, Jermaine plays helpside. If you don't want Jermaine, say so, but come up with something better than that.

I guess you missed Shaq going off for 63 against Kandi a year or two ago?

AHF

coz
07-03-2003, 02:21 AM
He's got a point, not a good one, but a point..

Who would you rather have for the exact same money:

J O'Neal

or

Kandi and Glove

??

Kandi COULD do some damage if he buys into the Spurs way of doing things, awful risky though. JO seems to be about a sure of thing as you can get.

goliath
07-03-2003, 02:37 AM
I would take Kandi at $6 mill or so.

Not over Oneil or Brand. But as a third choice for a big man? Yes

I happen to think Kandi would work out well in our system. With Duncan next to him and Pop on his @ss, I could see him develop into a good player. Not franchise player good, but top 5 center good (Shaq, Yao, ?????) maybe.

Remember, at one time crappy players (AJ, Malik, Sjax, Jaren Jackson-well at least for 1 year) seem to florish in our system.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2003, 02:49 AM
6 years and $60 mil is not a mistake I want to see the Spurs make.

NCaliSpurs
07-03-2003, 03:30 AM
6 Million a year for Kandi would be awesome if we lose Oneal, Kidd, and Brand.

We could get at least one other good player, and perhaps save some cash for Manu and Parker later on.

Ghost Writer
07-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Marcus, what makes you think 'Kandi will get $10 million when he's ready to go to Denver for around $6 million?

Should the Spurs not add anyone this offseason?

Question.