11-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Golden State 100, Chicago 82
Golden State 100, Chicago 82

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
November 15, 2005

AP - Nov 15, 1:08 am EST
More Photos

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The Golden State Warriors don't always need a big game from Baron Davis to win -- particularly when Jason Richardson outscores their opponents' entire backcourt by himself.

Richardson scored a season-high 32 points and the Warriors thrived on a quiet night for Davis, beating the Chicago Bulls 100-82 on Monday night.

Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy scored 15 points apiece for the Warriors, who improved to 3-1 at home with strong performances from the supporting cast around Davis. The charismatic point guard had just 10 points and six assists in 34 minutes, but hit two late 3-pointers in a relatively easy night for his sore hamstrings.

The fans at the Arena got a giveaway poster of Richardson soaring for a dunk -- and he created a few more poster-worthy photos in another impressive night for the maturing guard. Davis' best play was a no-look alley-oop to Richardson in the third quarter. Richardson added another big dunk on a pass from Davis with 2:24 to play, thwarting the Bulls' last rally.

"The team depends on me every night, (and) the coaches depend on me to come out and give something," Richardson said. "That's what I'm learning as a player. ... I was really pleased with our defense. It was better than when we played them last week. Our defense hasn't been the problem, and we're finally putting the offense together."

Dunleavy also had his best game since signing his five-year, $44 million contract, hitting two 3-pointers on the way to season highs in points and rebounds (6).

ADVERTISEMENT

"He went through a bad couple of games, but he's got to a point where he can finally relax," Richardson said.

The Bulls rallied for a one-point win over the Warriors in Chicago on Wednesday, but got off to a weak start on their annual early-season six-game road trip while the circus takes over the United Center.

Andres Nocioni scored 12 of his 17 points in the first half, and Jannero Pargo hit four 3-pointers in Chicago's seventh straight loss in Oakland.

"They just dominated us all over the floor, and then probably the most disappointing thing -- I thought in the third quarter, we quit," Chicago coach Scott Skiles said. "That's something I have to address. ... We were in the game a little bit early on, but they had way more energy than us. They went by our guards at will."

Except for Pargo's open 3-pointers, the Bulls' backcourt was indeed terrible on both ends. Kirk Hinrich and Chris Duhon combined for 3-of-21 shooting, and top reserve Ben Gordon went 2-for-12.

A malaise has gripped the Bulls during the circus trip every year since Michael Jordan's departure, but they're hoping they can shake it this season.

"The Chicago Bulls haven't won on too many places in the West Coast in the last seven years," Hinrich said. "Whatever it is, we've got to fix it come Wednesday (in Portland), because every game out here is going to be tough, and we haven't had any success. We knew they were going to be upset that we stole one from them in Chicago, so we should have been ready."

AP - Nov 15, 1:00 am EST
More Photos

Golden State closed the first half with a 13-3 run, getting six points from Richardson and a running jumper from Mickael Pietrus with 4.4 seconds left. Duhon and Hinrich both went 1-for-8 in the half.

The Warriors made a 13-6 run early in the third quarter to take a 64-42 lead. Pietrus, who had a key basket during the run, scored 12 points off the bench.

"We still felt the effects of the loss in Chicago and wanted to make sure they didn't outwork us," Murphy said. "It was nice to get a lead and maintain it through the fourth."

Center Tyson Chandler had just four points in 20 foul-plagued minutes, and Luol Deng added 11 points for the Bulls.

Veteran forward Tim Thomas, who hasn't cracked coach Scott Skiles' rotation since arriving in the trade that sent Eddy Curry to the Knicks, played seven minutes and scored five points after sitting out Chicago's previous three games.

Notes

The Bulls haven't won in Oakland since Jan. 30, 1998 -- the final season of Chicago's six championship runs. ... Golden State already has finished its season series with Chicago, Milwaukee and New York. ... Dunleavy recklessly dived into the stands in the third quarter in a failed attempt to save a loose ball.

Extra Stout
11-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Any chance the Warriors win the Pacific?

SirChaz
11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
A small one.

Anytime your chances start with "If Baron Davis can stay healthy...." you might be in trouble.