PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' Johnson eyeing maximum minutes

ducks
11-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Nuggets' Johnson eyeing maximum minutes
Minimum deal helps serve as motivation
Evan Semon © News

Nuggets guard DerMarr Johnson, driving past the New Orleans Hornets' David West, is being rewarded for his hustle with more playing time. He started Sunday against Minnesota and scored 17 points.STORY TOOLS

Martin's homecoming may be a bench-warming
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
November 15, 2005
DALLAS - Same agent, two very different contracts.
Same coach, two very different distribution of minutes.

In September, point guard Earl Watson and shooting guard DerMarr Johnson were unrestricted free agents represented by Dan Fegan. Watson, after averaging 7.7 points as a reserve for the Memphis Grizzlies, signed a five-year, $29 million contract with the Denver Nuggets. Johnson, after averaging 7.1 points as a part-time starter for the Nuggets, got a one-year minimum deal worth $835,810 to re-sign with the Nuggets.

Look what has happened since. Watson has not left the bench in six of seven games, playing only 6 minutes, while Johnson once again has moved into the starting lineup.

"Earl got that deal offered from other teams," Johnson said. "He got nice deals coming right out of the gate. . . . It's easier for a point guard or a center to get paid and not have big stats.

"It didn't frustrate me at all (getting the minimum) because I could have gotten paid more than the minimum, but I would have had to sign for a longer time, and that's not what I wanted to do. I'm confident that I can play myself into a big deal."

Johnson, who said he wanted to return to the Nuggets because of his "love" for the organization, wouldn't identify the teams he said offered him multiyear contracts for more than the minimum. But he figures he'll make up for any lost dollars when he is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

More games like the one he had Sunday, and his strategy will prove sound. Nuggets coach George Karl replaced Voshon Lenard in the starting lineup with Johnson, and he responded with 17 points while shooting 3 of 5 on three-pointers in the Nuggets' 102-91 victory against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"We needed something like that," said forward Carmelo Anthony, whose Nuggets (3-4) face the Dallas Mavericks tonight at the American Airlines Center. "He stepped right in and did what he had to do - play defense and knock down shots."

Karl wanted the Nuggets to play at a faster tempo, so he dusted off Johnson, who had logged only 20 minutes in the first four games before getting some increased time off the bench in the next two games. Johnson was the Nuggets' starter when they closed last season 25-4, and it looked like old times against the Timberwolves.

"It's no surprise to me," said Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin, once Johnson's teammate at the University of Cincinnati. "It's just a matter of getting the time and getting your confidence back, and I think (Johnson) did that. . . . Of course, he was down. He wanted to play. And we're not winning, so, of course, you want to contribute."

Johnson admitted he was a bit miffed at not playing at the start of the season.

"It was a little hard," he said. "I thought I had a good camp. I thought I played well in the preseason. I worked hard to come in and get the job when they didn't bring in a big-name two guard (during the off-season).

"Vo came back (after missing 79 games last season because of a torn left Achilles' tendon) and had a great camp also, so coach made his decision. . . . You get a little frustrated when you don't get into the games, but you know your time will come around."

Johnson, averaging 4.1 points, said there was a comfort zone in returning to the lineup. He made his first two three-pointers after entering the game shooting 0-for-9.

Meanwhile, Lenard came off the bench to go 2 of 2 on three-pointers in 11 first-half minutes. But Lenard, who declined comment Monday, did not play in the second half.

"That was not all Vo," said Karl, who has offered Lenard the opportunity to talk with him about being replaced, but a meeting had not yet occurred by Monday afternoon. "There were other guys in the first unit that weren't pushing themselves and weren't running themselves and the second unit the same thing. We need to be aware we're going to play fast or we're going to play other people."

Karl is pleased with the tempo Johnson brought, and it looks like he might stick with him for a while. It also doesn't appear Watson will be playing much any time soon.

So it doesn't matter how big your paycheck is when it comes to Karl handing out big minutes.

Nuggets at Mavericks

• When: 6:30 MST tonight.

• Where: American Airlines Center, Dallas.

• TV/radio: Altitude; KKFN-AM (950).

• Starting lineups

Denver (2-3) Pos. Ht. Pts.

15 Carmelo Anthony F 6-8 18.0

6 Kenyon Martin F 6-9 14.2

23 Marcus Camby C 6-11 16.1

3 DerMarr Johnson G 6-9 4.1

24 Andre Miller G 6-2 10.4

Coach: George Karl

Dallas (4-2) Pos. Ht. Pts.

5 Josh Howard F 6-7 11.7

41 Dirk Nowitzki F 7-0 24.2

25 Erick Dampier C 6-11 6.2

13 Doug Christie G 6-6 3.8

31 Jason Terry G 6-2 16.2

Coach: Avery Johnson

• Injuries: Denver - F Nene (knee) and G Bryon Russell (right knee) are out; Martin (left knee) is probable. Dallas - C Pavel Podkolzin (right foot) is out; G Jerry Stackhouse (right knee) is doubtful.

• Notes: The Nuggets hope to turn around matters the road, where they're 0-3 and have been outscored by an average of 15.7 points a game . . . The Nuggets are hopeful Martin will play in his hometown after sitting out Sunday's 102-91 victory against the Minnesota Timberwolves because of soreness in his surgically repaired left knee. Martin's absence didn't seem to matter against the Timberwolves as Camby was dominant inside with 18 points, 22 rebounds and seven blocked shots . . . The Mavericks are 1-0 at home, winning 103-84 on Nov. 5 against the San Antonio Spurs . . . The Nuggets have lost 14 of their past 15 games in Dallas.

[email protected] or 303-892-5125