PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill: Spurs Among The Teams Interested In Oubre Jr.

TD 21
06-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Kelly Oubre Jr. free agency rumors; All-NBA, All-Defense picks (yahoo.com) (https://sports.yahoo.com/predicting-all-nba-all-defense-teams-where-kelly-oubre-jr-could-land-in-free-agency-193057299.html)

I don't buy this one. Not only doesn't come off as the Spurs type, but doesn't fill a need either.

exstatic
06-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Kelly Oubre Jr. free agency rumors; All-NBA, All-Defense picks (yahoo.com) (https://sports.yahoo.com/predicting-all-nba-all-defense-teams-where-kelly-oubre-jr-could-land-in-free-agency-193057299.html)

I don't buy this one. Not only doesn't come off as the Spurs type, but doesn't fill a need either.

Yeah, he’s a knuckle head, the next JR Smith. He shoots the 3 worse than most of our culture guys.

Dejounte
06-10-2021, 03:39 PM
Would be a Rudy Gay-level of regret.

Yahoo hasn’t been the same since Shams.

Seventyniner
06-10-2021, 03:48 PM
Would be a Rudy Gay-level of regret.

I'm not sure how to interpret that. The Rudy Gay signing has worked out okay, not great but not terrible imo.

I don't think the Spurs would be willing to dip into 2023 cap space for Oubre, so I doubt he comes to SA.

Dejounte
06-10-2021, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure how to interpret that. The Rudy Gay signing has worked out okay, not great but not terrible imo.

I don't think the Spurs would be willing to dip into 2023 cap space for Oubre, so I doubt he comes to SA.

An attempt to turn a loser into a winner only to find out it’s near impossible. Same could be said for DeMar.

rjv
06-10-2021, 03:53 PM
spurs probably thrown into this rumor only because they are one of the teams that could have the cap space.

John B
06-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Underachiever. Nope.

duncan2150
06-10-2021, 04:32 PM
I watched some GS games this year and oubre was pretty good after a baaad start. Offcourse he looks a little bit crazy sometime but he is a nice defender, can shoot ( tough he needs to be more regular) , drive ...

At the right price he could be a good choice and the spurs will probably more than us about this personnality with Kerr in GS.

EasyMoney
06-10-2021, 04:43 PM
spurs probably thrown into this rumor only because they are one of the teams that could have the cap space.

True. Might be one of those "team could attempt to bring in this player because they have the salary space to do so" kind of rumors. Just to get the 'puters 'putin.

bluebellmaniac
06-10-2021, 04:46 PM
An attempt to turn a loser into a winner only to find out it’s near impossible. Same could be said for DeMar.

Dejounte with the fire retorts today.

DO NOT PISS THIS GUY OFF TODAY.

james evans
06-10-2021, 04:49 PM
why?

Mr. Body
06-10-2021, 05:42 PM

Recalibrate your instruments. Oubre has done jack shit in this league. He's a loser. Gay and DeRozan have accomplished a great deal, if they aren't top echelon.

Mr. Body
06-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Only reason to get Oubre is to up the HEB commercial game. Otherwise this is just wankery by a press org that should know better.

Leetonidas
06-10-2021, 05:55 PM
Eh, I wouldn't mind depending on the price tag but I'd rather Vassell get whatever minutes they'd give to Oubre

Seventyniner
06-10-2021, 06:50 PM

It depends on the role and the salary imo. He would probably command a decent salary and be in the starting lineup so I see your point. But a lot of losers are losers until they aren't, so I wouldn't necessarily hold his teams' historical underperformance against him.

SpursStar
06-10-2021, 06:56 PM
He’s better than a lot that is currently on the roster, not sure what the issue is here.

exstatic
06-10-2021, 07:00 PM
He’s better than a lot that is currently on the roster, not sure what the issue is here.

No he’s not. He shots the 3 ball worse than any of our youngsters not named Luka, doesn’t rebound as well as Keldon, and has generally made an ass out of himself in GS. Hard pass.

EasyMoney
06-10-2021, 07:11 PM
No he’s not. He shots the 3 ball worse than any of our youngsters not named Luka, doesn’t rebound as well as Keldon, and has generally made an ass out of himself in GS. Hard pass.

I heard he was dealing with personal trauma the whole season. That definitely may have affected him on the court

SpursStar
06-10-2021, 07:13 PM

Lmao yes he is. He’s a better defender than any of our “youngsters” not named Derrick and Dejounte, and he’s still younger than White.

When it comes to scoring, Oubre is better than Walker, Murray, and Johnson and it’s not really close lol.

Dex
06-10-2021, 07:55 PM
Nah I'm good, thanks

SpurPadre
06-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Sometimes beggars can’t be choosers and he may very well be one of the better FAs in a thin FA class.

Rummpd
06-10-2021, 08:16 PM
Would not put if past this total fail of a free office

SAGirl
06-10-2021, 08:17 PM
I thought the same.

RD2191
06-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Recalibrate your instruments. Oubre has done jack shit in this league. He's a loser. Gay and DeRozan have accomplished a great deal, if they aren't top echelon.
:rollin

RD2191
06-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Spurm fans thinking they have the luxury to turn down even mid level free agents. Fat Antonio fans really are delusional. :lol

R. DeMurre
06-10-2021, 08:43 PM
We already have a young athlete with terrible advanced stats in Walker.... no need to add a second. Someone's gonna offer him $17mil/year, a total the Spurs could use to get 2 or 3 players with possible untapped potential.

Degoat
06-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Spurm fans thinking they have the luxury to turn down even mid level free agents. Fat Antonio fans really are delusional. :lol

Yeah I tend to agree with you on this, spurs need all the talent they can have lol if the price is right spurs should look to add him imo

Dejounte
06-10-2021, 09:07 PM
We already have a young athlete with terrible advanced stats in Walker.... no need to add a second. Someone's gonna offer him $17mil/year, a total the Spurs could use to get 2 or 3 players with possible untapped potential.

Eh…not a fan of Oubre, but $17 mil wouldn’t be terrible IMO. I feel the same way about Oubre the way I do with Markkanen. An OK signing at the right cost, and I could see the utility. I’d probably prefer him over Lauri. Him and Keldon manning the forward spots… you could do worse.

exstatic
06-10-2021, 09:39 PM
Yeah I tend to agree with you on this, spurs need all the talent they can have lol if the price is right spurs should look to add him imo

Nope. Reset for 2023. Don’t clog your cap with players who are worse than DeRozan.

R. DeMurre
06-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Eh…not a fan of Oubre, but $17 mil wouldn’t be terrible IMO. I feel the same way about Oubre the way I do with Markkanen. An OK signing at the right cost, and I could see the utility. I’d probably prefer him over Lauri. Him and Keldon manning the forward spots… you could do worse.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, I agree. But I'd rather take a chance on Furkan Korkmaz, who's younger and will come with with a lower price tag. Plus I just like the idea of the Spurs having a player named Furkan. Just think of Sean Elliott, blushing every time he exclaims That was a great Furkan play!

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=oubreke01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=korkmfu01&p2yrfrom=2021

baseline bum
06-10-2021, 09:54 PM

Oubre's not a mid level player though, he's pretty shit. I'd rather gift Mills a two year loyalty contract than sign Oubre for big money for four years. It's not like he's a 19 year old kid with potential to improve, he'll be 26 early next season and is likely as good as he'll ever be. Keldon is already better anyways, is four years younger, and costs next to nothing.

SpurPadre
06-10-2021, 10:03 PM

That's what I'm saying too. I don't get why others here think we're too good for him.

SpurPadre
06-10-2021, 10:07 PM
Nope. Reset for 2023. Don’t clog your cap with players who are worse than DeRozan.

If they don't get somebody like Oubre this offseason, they'll probably try to re-sign DeRozan. It's questionable whether this franchise is thinking reset for 2023.

SpursStar
06-10-2021, 10:29 PM
That's what I'm saying too. I don't get why others here think we're too good for him.

Because many of them overvalue the pieces we have.

Robz4000
06-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Hard pass.

DeRozan m8
06-11-2021, 04:17 AM
This season exposed the fuck out of him

We don't need anything like him

r0drig0lac
06-11-2021, 06:22 AM
because...spurstalk

exstatic
06-11-2021, 06:58 AM
If they don't get somebody like Oubre this offseason, they'll probably try to re-sign DeRozan. It's questionable whether this franchise is thinking reset for 2023.

They’ve already tried to sign DD, and he won’t take two years, even if the money’s right.

If it did come down to resigning DD, or signing KO, I’d opt for the first one, anyway, BECAUSE HES FUCKING BETTER THAN OUBRE. Neither would be my first choice, though. That would be trading for Harrison Barnes. He’s bigger than Oubre, a better defender AND shooter, and is under contract until 2023.

dbestpro
06-11-2021, 08:22 AM
We need guys who can hit the three. This guy would just add to the glut of wings that are average three point shooters.

KobesAchilles
06-11-2021, 08:49 AM
Nope do not want. Save the cap space this year and offer the max RFA to Bridges next year. I also wouldn't mind bringing Laurri in for a cheaper price than Kelly. CHI doesn't want him for shit and we can probably get him for around 10 a year.

Seventyniner
06-11-2021, 09:49 AM
It wouldn't be the end of the world, I agree. But I'd rather take a chance on Furkan Korkmaz, who's younger and will come with with a lower price tag. Plus I just like the idea of the Spurs having a player named Furkan. Just think of Sean Elliott, blushing every time he exclaims That was a great Furkan play!

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=oubreke01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=korkmfu01&p2yrfrom=2021

"And Kork pops another three! Oh mama!"

smh

Fusternino
06-11-2021, 11:08 AM
No, we already have too many guys at the 2/3 when we need a 3/4. We can't keep having 4 guard lineups or lineups with 2 guys sliding up a position.

td4mvp2k
06-11-2021, 11:12 AM
not true and cant play the pf

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-11-2021, 11:15 AM
I kind of liked Oubre when he was on the Suns. But, yeah, not someone whom I'd invest any sort of significant contract.

SpursDynasty85
06-11-2021, 02:09 PM
I can see this. Lots of possibilities for trade scenarios so the Spurs would be silly not to test the waters or have an open mind especially with the Warriors whom they seem to have a good relationship with, unlike teams like Mavs and Knicks.

Edit: Didn't realize Oubre Jr. was a UFA this offseason. Of course we should be interested since very few teams have cap room and Oubre Jr. is not going to fetch a ton of money likely. Still lots of sign and trade scenarios I imagine GS would want to test to bolster their roster.

south side spur
06-11-2021, 02:37 PM
For those who argue that Oubre would be worth signing, is he really worth twice or three times as much as our draft pick would be? Say Ziaire Williams? Wouldn’t a cheaper Williams be a better value and more than likely become the better player?

SpursDynasty85
06-11-2021, 03:16 PM
For those who argue that Oubre would be worth signing, is he really worth twice or three times as much as our draft pick would be? Say Ziaire Williams? Wouldn’t a cheaper Williams be a better value and more than likely become the better player?

What if they pick him up and sign Sengun instead? You have to do your due diligence for all scenarios.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-11-2021, 03:23 PM

I think it would depend on the numbers. If we're not resigning Demar, Mills or Gay, he could help round out the roster. We need height, and we need shooters. He averaged almost 19 PPG with 35% from three in '19-'20, and he's only 25, so there's definitely worse out there.

It all depends on what his demands are and who we're bringing back.

south side spur
06-11-2021, 03:25 PM
What if they pick him up and sign Sengun instead? You have to do your due diligence for all scenarios.

I don’t know much about this Turk but the Spurs drafting a big? I definitely won’t complain about that bro. I like that. He fills a need and I’ll trust y’all if he’s got a high ceiling. I was just thinking about salary.

south side spur
06-11-2021, 03:33 PM
I think it would depend on the numbers. If we're not resigning Demar, Mills or Gay, he could help round out the roster. We need height, and we need shooters. He averaged almost 19 PPG with 35% from three in '19-'20, and he's only 25, so there's definitely worse out there.

Yeahhh, we’ll see what happens but damn I hope that scenario plays out. Not so much signing Oubre I just mean NOT re-signing the 3 vets. I’m hoping for a full blown youth movement. I’ve supported DeRozan and Gay but let them contribute to a contender. I just don’t see them letting Mills walk. He seems like he wants to stay and he’s up for whatever that citizenship or community service award is. That’s not the Spurs way to let a player like Mills go. I’m just done with Pop’s midget ball. Another reason why I like Ziaire is he’s one of the top defensive prospects.

SpursDynasty85
06-11-2021, 03:35 PM
I don’t know much about this Turk but the Spurs drafting a big? I definitely won’t complain about that bro. I like that. He fills a need and I’ll trust y’all if he’s got a high ceiling. I was just thinking about salary.

I see. Oubre Jr. currently would easily be worth more than a Zaire Williams then. Most rookies need at least 2-3 years of experience to be effective winners in the league otherwise they are "still developing". Paying Oubre, Jr. for what his peak years will be is different situation. How much he is worth is up in the air but I can see him being worth $20M/yr in today's NBA though. If his character is there he is an ideal small ball 4 that could be attainable by the Spurs. Not sure of his character but since they have a good relationship with GS they can probably get good feedback on whether to make an offer.

TDomination
06-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Height? 6-foot-6 ¾
Wingspan? 7-foot-2 ¼
Position? Wing

Sign me up.

Of course the height and wingspan doesn't make a player good but it doesn't hurt either. I wouldn't be sad if we signed him at the right price. Its not like we're doing much better now.

TD 21
06-11-2021, 03:54 PM
Despite his impressive length, he lacks the strength to defend big wings, which renders him more of a 2.5 than 3.5. He'd be redundant positionally, skill set and basketball IQ wise.

If we presume Murray, White, Johnson, Vassell are entrenched in the 1-3 rotation, other than an offensive focal point, they need a creator who can shoot and a volume/movement shooter to round them out.

look_at_g_shred
06-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Would love a S&T with Cha DDR for Rozier but why would CHA do that right????

Leetonidas
06-11-2021, 06:46 PM

Idk Jordan has proven to be kind of retarded when it comes to evaluating talent, aside from Ball. He might think Costco Kobe is worth something because he plays like a 90s player:lol

exstatic
06-11-2021, 09:37 PM

He shot 31.6 from 3 last yrear, and that’s working off Stephs’ gravity. You say we need size and shooting? Harrison Barnes is bigger, and shot 38% from 3 last year. That 38% is like his 5th best season. He’s shot 40% twice.

tbdog
06-11-2021, 09:38 PM
Rozier for DDR would be terrible for Spurs.

EricB
06-11-2021, 10:20 PM
Sometimes beggars can’t be choosers and he may very well be one of the better FAs in a thin FA class.

no, no he’s not

pad300
06-12-2021, 12:25 AM
He shot 31.6 from 3 last yrear, and that’s working off Stephs’ gravity. You say we need size and shooting? Harrison Barnes is bigger, and shot 38% from 3 last year. That 38% is like his 5th best season. He’s shot 40% twice.

Look, we get it. You think Harrison Barnes would be a much better bet. Ok. What are you proposing to trade the Kings for him? He's not an FA, he's under contract for 2 more years.

Mr. Body
06-12-2021, 12:26 AM
This is hilarious. SpursTalk never fails with the completely idiotic evaluations of shitty players.

Gibbz
06-12-2021, 12:35 AM
This is hilarious. SpursTalk never fails with the completely idiotic evaluations of shitty players.

Also SpursTalk--Just draft Tim Duncan and David Robinson again, and also hit on hall of fame international players at 28 and 57. No use signing any flawed but talented young players with the cap space.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-12-2021, 01:05 AM

Sacramento will want at least a first round pick for Barnes, like they did at the trade deadline. Don't think the Spurs are in a position to trade future firsts, however protected, for someone who's not a difference maker. He's a good player but would be a more valuable piece for a contender.

SAGirl
06-12-2021, 01:44 AM
Look, we get it. You think Harrison Barnes would be a much better bet. Ok. What are you proposing to trade the Kings for him? He's not an FA, he's under contract for 2 more years.
Good question.

exstatic
06-12-2021, 02:58 PM

They’ve been trying to offload him since the deadline. They’ve already paid Hield, Fox’s extension kicks in this year, and they have several more youngsters lined up. Their payroll is going to be in a crunch, and sooner than later. Posters are always saying that we have too many guards. DeAaron and Lonnie are boys. Make it happen.

SAGirl
06-12-2021, 03:13 PM
They’ve been trying to offload him since the deadline. They’ve already paid Hield, Fox’s extension kicks in this year, and they have several more youngsters lined up. Their payroll is going to be in a crunch, and sooner than later. Posters are always saying that we have too many guards. DeAaron and Lonnie are boys. Make it happen.
Lonnie for Barnes is not going to happen without a pick attached. I dont think the Spurs would do that. The one thing they have done well is keep their picks and draft best available… (the gamble on Samanic notwithstanding, it happened the one year they had two first round draft picks). You know Lonnie for Barnes isn’t enough. Maybe if he has a kind of “breakout” year, and in that case, Spurs should keep him.

exstatic
06-12-2021, 03:32 PM
Lonnie for Barnes is not going to happen without a pick attached. I dont think the Spurs would do that. The one thing they have done well is keep their picks and draft best available… (the gamble on Samanic notwithstanding, it happened the one year they had two first round draft picks). You know Lonnie for Barnes isn’t enough. Maybe if he has a kind of “breakout” year, and in that case, Spurs should keep him.

Lonnie’s making ~$4M next year. Barnes is making $20M. We’re not giving them any kind of decent pick to help them clear their cap with a two year rental player, and Lonnie, in spite of his shortcomings, is way more of a sure thing as an NBA player than any mid to late first rounder, esp. with Sacto scouting and making the pick.

SAGirl
06-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Lonnie’s making ~$4M next year. Barnes is making $20M. We’re not giving them any kind of decent pick to help them clear their cap with a two year rental player, and Lonnie, in spite of his shortcomings, is way more of a sure thing as an NBA player than any mid to late first rounder, esp. with Sacto scouting and making the pick.
They can do better IMO, he’s been one of their best players.

exstatic
06-12-2021, 04:49 PM
They can do better IMO, he’s been one of their best players.

The better player WILL COST MORE. They are trying to CUT SALARY.

No one is trading them a top 10 pick, past or future, for a two year rental of a 29 YO player.

Dverde
06-12-2021, 05:11 PM
This guy is definitely not over himself. I could see the Spurs kicking the tires and Pop asking Steve Kerr about him. I can’t see him playing here.

SAGirl
06-12-2021, 06:36 PM
The better player WILL COST MORE. They are trying to CUT SALARY.

No one is trading them a top 10 pick, past or future, for a two year rental of a 29 YO player.
They will want something better back than Lonnie, otherwise something like this would have already happened and you know it tbh. This isn’t a bad contract or garbage player. Maybe their insistence on a pick is what has prevented a trade from happening but that still doesn’t prove your trade is realistic.

EricB
06-12-2021, 08:22 PM

why the fuck would the Spurs do that?

Prime BEEF
06-12-2021, 08:53 PM
why the fuck would the Spurs do that?
It would have to be something like Murray/DDR/Vassell for Rozier/Hayward/2021 1st Rd. But both teams won’t want to give up that much and both over value their players

mo7888
06-12-2021, 09:45 PM
They will want something better back than Lonnie, otherwise something like this would have already happened and you know it tbh. This isn’t a bad contract or garbage player. Maybe their insistence on a pick is what has prevented a trade from happening but that still doesn’t prove your trade is realistic.

They kinda have boxed themselves into a corner where they are going to have to TAKE a small asset for Barnes or GIVE a larger asset to move Hield.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-13-2021, 01:08 AM
They kinda have boxed themselves into a corner where they are going to have to TAKE a small asset for Barnes or GIVE a larger asset to move Hield.

But why? Their cap situation is alright. They can comfortably re-sign Holmes and use the MLE while staying under the lux tax. Trading someone for a better fit is clearly needed for them to improve but they’re definitely not doing that for a TE.

slick'81
06-13-2021, 01:21 AM
But why? Their cap situation is alright. They can comfortably re-sign Holmes and use the MLE while staying under the lux tax. Trading someone for a better fit is clearly needed for them to improve but they’re definitely not doing that for a TE.

Spur fan is just grasping at straws with scenarios that will never happen

exstatic
06-13-2021, 07:21 AM

You’d have to ask them that question, but they were seriously shopping both at the deadline. As time goes by, they’ll need to move them more, as extensions for their young players kick in, and as teams realize that, they’ll have to attach more to move Hield, and get less for Barnes.

Lonnie would look really good in Sacto. He can’t help them win, of course, because his game isn’t good enough, but on a team with little structure, he’ll LOOK really good, splashing 3 pointers and dunking. He’s a nice kid, and will sell some tickets for them. It also won’t hurt that he and Fox are boyz.

mo7888
06-13-2021, 08:09 AM

Like ex said you'd have to ask them...we know they were shopping him and we know they didn't get and good offers for him. My guess is that they realize if they run this team back they'll miss the playoffs again. They probably need to shake things up to sell tickets and give the team a chance to win by having a different makeup. That doesn't mean we will get him. But, somebody will and so far nobody has offered anything significant.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-13-2021, 08:22 AM
Like ex said you'd have to ask them...we know they were shopping him and we know they didn't get and good offers for him. My guess is that they realize if they run this team back they'll miss the playoffs again. They probably need to shake things up to sell tickets and give the team a chance to win by having a different makeup. That doesn't mean we will get him. But, somebody will and so far nobody has offered anything significant.

Sure but none of this suggests they’ll look to trade for TEs. They’ll want a first round pick at least and I don’t see the Spurs being in a position to trade any future firsts with a full rebuild looming.

exstatic
06-13-2021, 09:15 AM
Sure but none of this suggests they’ll look to trade for TEs. They’ll want a first round pick at least and I don’t see the Spurs being in a position to trade any future firsts with a full rebuild looming.

I’m not suggesting a first round pick.

EricB
06-13-2021, 09:16 AM
It would have to be something like Murray/DDR/Vassell for Rozier/Hayward/2021 1st Rd. But both teams won’t want to give up that much and both over value their players

oh god none of that. Pass pass pass

mo7888
06-13-2021, 09:41 AM

I didn't suggest they'd give him away for a TE...just that they'll trade him for a small asset.... a late rd 1st is certainly within that scope...LW is as well.... and to be clear I'm not saying we'll get him or even try to get him... I'm just speaking generally of their position and what his market is.

stephen jackson
06-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Sad part is we won’t even get this “shitty” player, I’m banking on demar gay and wombat returning

PrimeMinister
06-13-2021, 01:30 PM
Demar is just as likely to come back as Forbes and belinelli were last summer

PuzzBeterson
06-14-2021, 12:59 AM
Can you imagine the hard D a Dejounte/Oubre backcourt would generate? Absolute stiffling.

exstatic
06-14-2021, 06:25 AM
Can you imagine the hard D a Dejounte/Oubre backcourt would generate? Absolute stiffling.

:lol. Oubre is a hard negative on defense. He’s been net negative for DBPM every year of his career.

R. DeMurre
06-14-2021, 09:43 AM
All I see Oubre doing is taking minutes away from Vassell... I just don't see the point of it. He's not good enough to move the needle, & will cost too much. Furkan Korkmaz is younger, will be cheaper, and is a better 3pt shooter.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=korkmfu01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=oubreke01&p2yrfrom=2021

Dejounte
06-14-2021, 10:15 AM
All I see Oubre doing is taking minutes away from Vassell... I just don't see the point of it. He's not good enough to move the needle, & will cost too much. Furkan Korkmaz is younger, will be cheaper, and is a better 3pt shooter.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=korkmfu01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=oubreke01&p2yrfrom=2021

Oubre has like 4” over Vassell. I think it’s possible he’ll take up Rudy Gay’s role (again, if the rumor even is true). An ISO scorer off the bench.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-14-2021, 11:17 AM
Demar is just as likely to come back as Forbes and belinelli were last summer

Hopefully.

pad300
06-14-2021, 11:44 AM
Oubre has like 4” over Vassell. I think it’s possible he’ll take up Rudy Gay’s role (again, if the rumor even is true). An ISO scorer off the bench.

How big do you think Vassell is and how big do you think Oubre is?

Dejounte
06-14-2021, 12:11 PM
How big do you think Vassell is and how big do you think Oubre is?

DeMar looks like he has an inch over both Keldon and Vassell, while Oubre matched up with Keldon this past season and looked like he had 2-3” over him.

So Vassell is probably 6’6”, while Oubre is like 6’9”.

Edit: just looked and Oubre is listed as 6’7”? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Could probably be that Oubre has a long neck giving the illusion of being tall.

exstatic
06-14-2021, 12:43 PM
DeMar looks like he has an inch over both Keldon and Vassell, while Oubre matched up with Keldon this past season and looked like he had 2-3” over him.

So Vassell is probably 6’6”, while Oubre is like 6’9”.

Edit: just looked and Oubre is listed as 6’7”? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Could probably be that Oubre has a long neck giving the illusion of being tall.

You’re pretty size obsessed, but Oubre is listed on bbref as 6’7”.

Chinook
06-14-2021, 12:51 PM
Oubre on the Spurs would get a ton of PF minutes. He'd probably start and swing with Johnson over who they'd count as what. As a whole, he's played a fair bit of PF in the league over his career. He wouldn't be Rudy Gay though, as Gay has been a full-on big rather than a combo-forward for the past three years.

Dejounte
06-14-2021, 01:05 PM
You’re pretty size obsessed, but Oubre is listed on bbref as 6’7”.

I’m size obsessed because the guy asked me a question and I answered it? Wut lol

R. DeMurre
06-14-2021, 01:21 PM
I see both guys listed at 6'7" and multiple photos on the internet of him standing side by side with Steph seem to indicate that's pretty accurate.

R. DeMurre
06-14-2021, 01:35 PM
Outside of Wiseman, Oubre had the worst metrics on Golden State, and that's with the gravity of Steph. His advanced stats make Andrew Wiggins look like Manu. Letting DeMar walk and replacing him with Oubre seems like a monumental step sideways, and a less than optimal use of valuable salary space. DeRozan & Oubre together would be a disaster.

exstatic
06-14-2021, 01:36 PM
I’m size obsessed because the guy asked me a question and I answered it? Wut lol

No, it’s kind of a constant with you. You’ll go off on a whole tangent about how two guys listed at the same height aren’t, or how a player listed as 1” taller is actually 1” shorter than the other guy. You also see photos as some sort of proof, when one player being even 2-3” closer to the camera, which is very hard to detect, can totally skew the perspective. The only kind of group photo that you can truly derive any kind of comparative heights from is a police lineup where they have the height hash marks right behind each of the people.

Dejounte
06-14-2021, 02:00 PM
No, it’s kind of a constant with you. You’ll go off on a whole tangent about how two guys listed at the same height aren’t, or how a player listed as 1” taller is actually 1” shorter than the other guy. You also see photos as some sort of proof, when one player being even 2-3” closer to the camera, which is very hard to detect, can totally skew the perspective. The only kind of group photo that you can truly derive any kind of comparative heights from is a police lineup where they have the height hash marks right behind each of the people.

Eh, each poster has their own quirk. If it bothers you so much, put me on ignore. You have reading comprehension sometimes, you don’t see me writing a whole paragraph about it. I put emphasis on writing out “I think” or “it looks like” to make sure people understand I’m not 100% certain about something (because like you said, they are just fucking photos) and that I’m merely pointing out an observation, so not sure why it’s such an issue.

SpursDynasty85
06-14-2021, 02:09 PM
Lots of analyzing for listed heights that appear accurate: Vassell and Keldon both are listed as 6’5”, Demar at 6’6”, and Oubre is 6’7”. Oubre has a larger wingspan too.

R. DeMurre
06-14-2021, 02:36 PM
Lots of analyzing for listed heights that appear accurate: Vassell and Keldon both are listed as 6’5”, Demar at 6’6”, and Oubre is 6’7”. Oubre has a larger wingspan too.

Vassell is listed in multiple places at 6'7", a few at 6'6", and fewer at 6'5". Why do you think the 6'5" listing is accurate?

pad300
06-14-2021, 02:39 PM
Ok, given it was my Q that started this little tiff, I will put my 2 cents in. I'd rather see us playing with a real PF, rather than a wing playing up (as we did last year with Keldon and Demar).

SpursDynasty85
06-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Vassell is listed in multiple places at 6'7", a few at 6'6", and fewer at 6'5". Why do you think the 6'5" listing is accurate?

Check the actual NBA.COM or Spurs.com website and those are the listed heights. And if you were paying attention during the games on tv you will see that this is pretty accurate. Demar is slightly/barely taller than both those guys while those guys look identical. For the past 4-5 years now they require height measurement data w/o shoes to make things more transparent.

Edit: I do see guys like Patty listed at 6'1" though which makes me believe that the older players had the option of opting out of getting remeasured after the "w/o shoes" effect. But players who more recently entered the NBA didn't have the option. I'm speculating but and going off of the little I've read on line about listing height measurements in the NBA.

PuzzBeterson
06-14-2021, 03:05 PM
:lol. Oubre is a hard negative on defense. He’s been net negative for DBPM every year of his career.

Right over your head.

exstatic
06-14-2021, 03:08 PM
Eh, each poster has their own quirk. If it bothers you so much, put me on ignore. You have reading comprehension sometimes, you don’t see me writing a whole paragraph about it. I put emphasis on writing out “I think” or “it looks like” to make sure people understand I’m not 100% certain about something (because like you said, they are just fucking photos) and that I’m merely pointing out an observation, so not sure why it’s such an issue.

:lol. It doesn’t bother me, it’s just your thing. Mine is advanced stats.

exstatic
06-14-2021, 03:11 PM
Right over your head.

Happens sometimes in a forum where ridiculous points are often argued vehemently.

R. DeMurre
06-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Check the actual NBA.COM or Spurs.com website and those are the listed heights. And if you were paying attention during the games on tv you will see that this is pretty accurate. Demar is slightly/barely taller than both those guys while those guys look identical. For the past 4-5 years now they require height measurement data w/o shoes to make things more transparent.

Edit: I do see guys like Patty listed at 6'1" though which makes me believe that the older players had the option of opting out of getting remeasured after the "w/o shoes" effect. But players who more recently entered the NBA didn't have the option. I'm speculating but and going off of the little I've read on line about listing height measurements in the NBA.

I just wonder how closely this is monitored? Anyway, 6'5" in bare feet is at least 6'6" in sneakers, and maybe more.... the only measurements I really trust are the ones done at the draft combine, but Vassell didn't participate.

exstatic
06-14-2021, 04:00 PM
I just wonder how closely this is monitored? Anyway, 6'5" in bare feet is at least 6'6" in sneakers, and maybe more.... the only measurements I really trust are the ones done at the draft combine, but Vassell didn't participate.

A very old Spurs trick.

SpursDynasty85
06-14-2021, 04:22 PM

Good question. I imagine the heights are much more accurate compared to say 6 years ago but still someone is going to "flub" their numbers *cough* Patty.. lol.

R. DeMurre
06-14-2021, 06:09 PM

A very old Spurs trick.

Interesting.... So do you think it's possible the Spurs made Vassell a promise, and then followed through on the promise when Haliburton was unexpectedly available?

exstatic
06-14-2021, 06:33 PM
Interesting.... So do you think it's possible the Spurs made Vassell a promise, and then followed through on the promise when Haliburton was unexpectedly available?

Wouldn’t shock me. I’m not sure Hali would have been above him on the Spurs board, though.

Players normally don’t skip the combine unless they’re a top 3-5 pick, or have a promise. He wasn’t a top 3-5 pick.

TD 21
06-21-2021, 10:37 AM
Fischer: Several Spurs players appear eager to add Oubre in San Antonio, according to league sources. He could slide into DeMar DeRozan's spot on the wing as a lower-usage, defensive piece who fits the young Spurs' timeline.

2021 NBA Draft Lottery Could Shift Power Back to Golden State Warriors | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944812-2021-nba-draft-lottery-could-shift-power-back-to-golden-state-warriors)

Dejounte
06-21-2021, 12:31 PM
Fischer: Several Spurs players appear eager to add Oubre in San Antonio, according to league sources. He could slide into DeMar DeRozan's spot on the wing as a lower-usage, defensive piece who fits the young Spurs' timeline.

2021 NBA Draft Lottery Could Shift Power Back to Golden State Warriors | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944812-2021-nba-draft-lottery-could-shift-power-back-to-golden-state-warriors)

Thanks for catching this. Didn’t know Oubre had buddies on the team. Very, very interesting. One has to assume no Lauri if Oubre lands here.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-21-2021, 12:36 PM
Kelly Oubre a defensive piece? Has Fischer watched him play?

Fusternino
06-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Not even really a volume 3 PT shooter it looks like, either.

exstatic
06-21-2021, 01:00 PM
Not even really a volume 3 PT shooter it looks like, either.

Those looks last year would have come from Steph’s gravity. He won’t get half the clean looks here. He also cried about his touches, so he would just slide right into LMA’s team bitch slot.

duncan2150
06-21-2021, 04:58 PM
Thanks for catching this. Didn’t know Oubre had buddies on the team. Very, very interesting. One has to assume no Lauri if Oubre lands here.

Why ?

Dejounte
06-21-2021, 05:00 PM
Why ?

for the amount theyre expected to get paid, there’s only so much minutes to go around + they have overlapping skills, sort of

i don’t think you can play them together. Oubre’s reputation on defense is bad, combine that with Lauri?

duncan2150
06-21-2021, 05:25 PM
for the amount theyre expected to get paid, there’s only so much minutes to go around + they have overlapping skills, sort of

i don’t think you can play them together. Oubre’s reputation on defense is bad, combine that with Lauri?

Ok i understand, you can pay them both for sure and imo they can play together, i maybe wrong but i see a good defender in oubre.

I agree about the possible logjam if you had both.

KobesAchilles
06-21-2021, 05:43 PM
Please no. Take the keys away from whoever wants this

joeyjfive
06-21-2021, 10:58 PM

Maybe they’ll pick up both players and play them big minutes and we’ll have the 1st pick in the draft the next three years haha.

offset formation
06-22-2021, 04:13 AM
I just don't understand this if it's even true. It seems somebody is misunderstanding what this team's flaws are or misreads that Oubre is the person to fill those needs.

If they do this, and it undoubtedly fails, I'll be barking for heads to roll next offseason.

rankingtear
06-22-2021, 06:45 AM
Smaller version of Rudy, secondary rim protection and rebounding from a wing. Why not, seems like a bargain contract , high maintenance guy but players seems to want to play with him. 4 players who can get to the rim would result in more wide open threes. If they want to continue with the drive and kick offense Oubre makes more sense than Markannen.

Dejounte
06-22-2021, 06:47 AM
I just don't understand this if it's even true. It seems somebody is misunderstanding what this team's flaws are or misreads that Oubre is the person to fill those needs.

If they do this, and it undoubtedly fails, I'll be barking for heads to roll next offseason.

it depends on your perspective

this move screams depth and future proofing it than a player who will turn the team around. There are none like the latter in free agency. Oubre is sort of a middle ground since the investment won’t be as high. The Spurs shouldn’t be concerned with making a big splash for the sake of making it, especially for players who won’t move the needle. Oubre won’t move the needle, but at least it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg.

exstatic
06-22-2021, 10:50 AM

Lazy journalism. Writer needs fodder, see player with issues with his current team, looks up teams with cap room.

Seventyniner
06-22-2021, 01:11 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944812-2021-nba-draft-lottery-could-shift-power-back-to-golden-state-warriors

Oubre will likely seek upward of $20 million in average annual salary on the open market, and there should be plenty of suitors. Several Spurs (http://bleacherreport.com/san-antonio-spurs) players appear eager to land Oubre in San Antonio, according to league sources. He could slide into DeMar DeRozan's spot on the wing as a lower-usage, defensive piece who fits the young Spurs' timeline.

$20M per year? :vomit:

That and it would probably take at least a 3-year deal to lock him up, more likely 4, destroying the 2023 cap space.

offset formation
06-22-2021, 01:18 PM
it depends on your perspective

this move screams depth and future proofing it than a player who will turn the team around. There are none like the latter in free agency. Oubre is sort of a middle ground since the investment won’t be as high. The Spurs shouldn’t be concerned with making a big splash for the sake of making it, especially for players who won’t move the needle. Oubre won’t move the needle, but at least it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg.

They're talking about 15-20M. That would be cutting your legs out from underneath yourself and would completely hamper possible pursuit of others.

I'm all about depth but you don't waste anywhere close to that type of money on what will likely be a bench guy for much of the season. And of course he doesn't bridge the chasms that are so clear on this team. Again it just doesn't make sense to me. If it happens and it works, good for them. But if I doesn't, and with what I outlined above, somebody has to be held accountable.

Dejounte
06-22-2021, 02:13 PM
They're talking about 15-20M. That would be cutting your legs out from underneath yourself and would completely hamper possible pursuit of others.

I'm all about depth but you don't waste anywhere close to that type of money on what will likely be a bench guy for much of the season. And of course he doesn't bridge the chasms that are so clear on this team. Again it just doesn't make sense to me. If it happens and it works, good for them. But if I doesn't, and with what I outlined above, somebody has to be held accountable.

20M is a different story.

Even though it’s “reported”, I personally don’t think he’ll get that amount.

Most I would be comfortable with is 17.5 to 18.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-22-2021, 02:59 PM
99-2017. We had a good fucking run guys

Seventyniner
06-22-2021, 03:45 PM
The other problem with Oubre wanting so much money is that the Warriors are already in tax hell, making it harder for them to swallow return salary in a sign-and-trade. Supposedly they're willing to pay the tax, but are they really going to pay $60M per year in salary + tax for what they could get for Oubre?

If we're only talking teams with >$17M in cap space, iirc there are only 5 or so.

8FOR!3
06-22-2021, 07:05 PM
Dejounte Murray - Patty Mills/Tre Jones
Derrick White - Lonnie Walker
DeMar DeRozan - Devin Vassell
Keldon Johnson - Luka Samanic/Trey Lyles/Keita Bates-Diop
Jacob Poeltl - Gorgui Dieng/Drew Eubanks

Where in that rotation is there any room for Kelly Oubre Jr.? I guess if we move on from DeRozan and start Vassell at the 3 (or KJ?) then he could be a backup, unless we think he's a 4 but even then are we better off there or with Luka/Bates-Diop? I don't see why fans think this is a good move...

offset formation
06-22-2021, 08:35 PM
Dejounte Murray - Patty Mills/Tre Jones
Derrick White - Lonnie Walker
DeMar DeRozan - Devin Vassell
Keldon Johnson - Luka Samanic/Trey Lyles/Keita Bates-Diop
Jacob Poeltl - Gorgui Dieng/Drew Eubanks

Where in that rotation is there any room for Kelly Oubre Jr.? I guess if we move on from DeRozan and start Vassell at the 3 (or KJ?) then he could be a backup, unless we think he's a 4 but even then are we better off there or with Luka/Bates-Diop? I don't see why fans think this is a good move...

Exactly this. Good post.

stephen jackson
06-22-2021, 09:31 PM
We’re keeping defrozan ?

8FOR!3
06-22-2021, 10:39 PM
Exactly this. Good post.

I even forgot about Rudy Gay. He's a 4 now but similar size as Oubre.

Fusternino
06-22-2021, 10:52 PM

Gay has the standing reach of a center, he has truly legit wingspan.

JeffDuncan
06-23-2021, 12:51 AM
We’re keeping defrozan ?

Not that we know of. Nor is Patty under contract now. Nor Rudy Gay. They might be back, might not. And he included Lyles.

exstatic
06-23-2021, 05:03 AM

Rudy’s bigger than Oubre, even playing some small ball 5. Probably got 2” and 15 lbs on Kelly.