PDA

View Full Version : Stefansson released from mavs howard wondering about...

ducks
09-02-2004, 11:23 AM
playing time.

Mavs' crowded roster has Howard in hard spot

www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sport...434.htm?1c (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/b.../9562434.htm?1c)

By Dwain Price

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Josh Howard raised his eyebrows a time or two in June when the Mavericks acquired Jerry Stackhouse in a trade with the Washington Wizards.

After all, Stackhouse is a veteran swingman, the same position played by Howard, Michael Finley and Marquis Daniels. And with Finley in the middle of a seven-year, $102.2 million contract, and Daniels having recently signed a five-year, $29.4 million contract, Howard is wondering if he's still in the Mavs' long-range plans.

"Those two guys, Finley and Stackhouse, have a lot of experience, and they know the game more than me and Marquis," Howard said. "It's going to be another learning experience."

Howard received extensive playing time early last season as a rookie after he was selected on the first round (29th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft. But after suffering a late-season leg injury, Howard lost considerable ground to Daniels.

Overall last year, Howard averaged 8.6 points and 23.7 minutes during the regular season but just 5.4 points during the five-game playoff series against Sacramento after seeing his minutes decrease to 17.2 per game. Now, Howard is faced with the challenge of finding more playing time with Daniels and two former All-Stars -- Finley and Stackhouse -- standing in his way.

"Playing time will go to the guy who plays the best," owner Mark Cuban said. "Overall, with Stackhouse, J.T. [Jason Terry], Devin Harris and the continued improvement of our young guys, it makes us a far better team this year."
NOTE NICE TO SEE CUBAN IS NOW COACH not NELSON

Howard merely hopes he doesn't wake up one morning and see his name on the trading blocks.

"I'm going to have to come in and be ready," he said. "Wherever I get a chance to play, I'm going to have to play.

"I've been working hard this summer. I'm going to continue to try to learn the game in coach's system, and I hope to stay in Dallas."

Although Cuban said during halftime of Monday's Cowboys-Tennessee Titans game that this is the best team he's fielded since he purchased the Mavs on Jan. 4, 2000, Howard would rather see how things pan out before passing judgment. But he does know things won't be the same after the Mavs lost integral pieces this summer such as Steve Nash, Antawn Jamison, Antoine Walker, Eduardo Najera and Danny Fortson.

"We lost some key people, but it's a business and that's one thing that I've learned," Howard said. "I hate to see all those guys leave, but I wish them the best of luck, like I know they do the same for us.

"Everybody that's coming in this year is going to bring something different than the people last year, so we've got to wait and see. We just have to play ball and keep our heads up."

Stefansson released

The Mavs trimmed their roster to 17 Wednesday by waiving guard Jon Stefansson.

A year ago today Stefansson signed a six-year nonguaranteed contract with the Mavs, but he never made it to the active roster during the season after suffering what team officials described as a sprained left ankle. The Iceland native is expected to continue his basketball career in Europe.

ducks
09-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Owner Mark Cuban said he will "probably look to do some buyouts" with other players. Those players are believed to be guard Dan Dickau and forward Tariq Abdul-Wahad.

Dickau, acquired last week in a trade with Golden State, has one year and $893,000 left on his contract. Meanwhile, Abdul-Wahad has three years and $23 million remaining on his contract, although only $12 million of that is guaranteed.

www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sport...434.htm?1c (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/b.../9562434.htm?1c)

SAmikeyp
09-02-2004, 11:57 AM
The Mavs trimmed their roster to 17 Wednesday by waiving guard Jon Stefansson.

Somewhere....Adrienne is sad. :(

:)

cool
09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
it would be cool to make money for not working

ShoogarBear
09-02-2004, 10:31 PM
What a jagoff.

For no other team in the league would you report the owners' perception of the roster and not the coach or GM's.

LittleGeneral
09-02-2004, 11:09 PM
jon is a gr8 player