PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for all you NBA gurus? :)

Spurs Biggest Fan
11-16-2005, 09:38 PM
What exactly did George Karl do wrong to get suspended for two games? Didn't he scout a High Schooler for the draft or something like that? So why was that a no-no?

Here is an example of what Sam Presti does -- so what's the difference?

"Presti crisscrosses the United States to scout high school and college players. Gym rats in countries such as Greece, Spain and Serbia and Montenegro recognize him when he swings through to see foreign players."

thanks in advance

Pistons < Spurs
11-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Karl was suspended for the first three games of this season for violating rules prohibiting contact between teams and players not eligible for the draft. The incident took place at Marquette in May. The Nuggets also were fined $200,000.

The league said the violation occurred from May 16-18, when Karl attended workouts at Marquette University involving a player who is not eligible for this year's draft, which will take place on June 28.

The NBA did not identify the player.

"George made an innocent mistake but we take full responsibility for these actions," Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe said.

"The Denver Nuggets fully respect league rules and regulations and we regret any inadvertent violation that occurred."

Spurs Biggest Fan
11-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Karl was suspended for the first three games of this season for violating rules prohibiting contact between teams and players not eligible for the draft. The incident took place at Marquette in May. The Nuggets also were fined $200,000.

So how do you know if someone is eligible for the draft?

Pistons < Spurs
11-16-2005, 09:42 PM
I believe they have to declare/register for the draft.

Spurs Biggest Fan
11-16-2005, 09:44 PM
So you can "scout" anyone you want but can't have "contact" --- is that the difference?

phyzik
11-16-2005, 09:47 PM
So you can "scout" anyone you want but can't have "contact" --- is that the difference?

Then the question becomes.... why scout someone who isnt even going to be available in the draft unless you are planning on convincing them?

jman3000
11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I might be mistaken but I believe he was watching his son during basketball practice. The league went on a witch hunt and suspended him.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-16-2005, 10:54 PM
nah your right, he was at the game to watch his son which makes the whole thing a joke. Anyway its in the past

T Park
11-16-2005, 11:28 PM
lol yeah, the league suspended him cause they "Dont like him"

Good lord.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-16-2005, 11:38 PM
lol yeah, the league suspended him cause they "Dont like him"

Good lord.

so you think a guy should be suspended for watching his son play ball? :rolleyes yeh the NBA is going in the right direction.........stuff the family , just worry about the league

:rolleyes

I guess if the shoe was on the other foot then you might see it differently. I dont think the league is after Karl but after all it seems some spurs fans think the league is out to get them :drunk

SequSpur
11-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Next time do a google search and quit wasting space in the spurs forum.

Damn

LilMissSPURfect
11-16-2005, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=Spurs Biggest Fan]What exactly did George Karl do wrong to get suspended for two games? /QUOTE]

He looks like

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/407capture_goonies04.jpg

Kori Ellis
11-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Why do you all say that he was just at a game watching his son play?

If I remember correctly, wasn't the issue that he watched/had contact with a player that hadn't declared for the draft at a private workout at Marquette?

Kori Ellis
11-17-2005, 12:01 AM
What exactly did George Karl do wrong to get suspended for two games? Didn't he scout a High Schooler for the draft or something like that? So why was that a no-no?

Here is an example of what Sam Presti does -- so what's the difference?

"Presti crisscrosses the United States to scout high school and college players. Gym rats in countries such as Greece, Spain and Serbia and Montenegro recognize him when he swings through to see foreign players."

thanks in advance

And to answer your question, no scout (or coach or whatever) can watch a player that has not declared for the draft in a private workout. It has to be in game action.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Next time do a google search and quit wasting space in the spurs forum.

Damn

next time why dont u dig a little deeper instead of believing the first thing that comes up in google

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jfOpDYBvgTkJ:www.rockymountainnews. com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_3838985,00.html+george+karl+suspend ed&hl=en

Accused of violating NBA rules, Denver Nuggets coach George Karl pleaded guilty Tuesday.

Guilty of being an enthusiastic father. Guilty of hurting his team. Guilty of not knowing any better.

Advertisement
Search Local Businesses - Click Here.
Commenting publicly for the first time since being suspended for the first three games of next season, Karl said he was only trying to help his son become a better player when he attended several workouts May 16-18 at Marquette University.

Karl watched as Coby Karl, a junior-to-be at Boise State, took part in practice sessions organized by close friend and former University of Utah coach Rick Majerus.

Among the other players at the workouts were Illinois guard Deron Williams and Indiana guard Bracey Wright - juniors who were not officially announced as early entry candidates for the June 28 draft until May 19.

Karl's presence at the workouts was a violation of NBA rules regarding contact with players not yet eligible for the draft.

"This is nothing other than I wanted my son to have a good workout," Karl said in a telephone interview. "I know I broke the rules but didn't know the rules. I know ignorance is not an excuse.

"I really preach that you don't do things to hurt your team. Anytime you take yourself off the court, it hurts your team."

Kori Ellis
11-17-2005, 12:17 AM
I know his son was there.

But he also knew that it wasn't a sanctioned game and he'd get in trouble for being there with players not declared for the draft. I guess he just figured he wouldn't get caught.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-17-2005, 12:19 AM
I know his son was there.

But he also knew that it wasn't a sanctioned game and he'd get in trouble for being there with players not declared for the draft. I guess he just figured he wouldn't get caught.

or he was the telling the truth and he is just plain ignorant and didnt know that specific rule lol.........either way, he and the Nuggets paid the price and he wont be doing that again anytime soon :hat

Kori Ellis
11-17-2005, 12:20 AM
or he was the telling the truth and he is just plain ignorant and didnt know that specific rule

:lmao

He's not new at this basketball thing. He knows the rules.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-17-2005, 12:26 AM
:lmao

He's not new at this basketball thing. He knows the rules.

yep, dont watch your son practice if some dude eligible for the draft is there....... i guess if they allowed it, then suddenly every coach in the NBA would have sons playing all over the place :smokin

jman3000
11-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Why do you all say that he was just at a game watching his son play?

If I remember correctly, wasn't the issue that he watched/had contact with a player that hadn't declared for the draft at a private workout at Marquette?
I believe it was 2 individual incidences. One was him watching his son practice (which was not allowed, due to the presence of other players) and the other was him visiting a friend who coached Marquette during a practice( I didn't know which school it was, but if that's what you say I'm inclined to believe you )

This is just off the top of my head from what I remember last summer, so I could be wrong.

pache100
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
after all it seems some spurs fans think the league is out to get them :drunk

WHAT?!?!?!