PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Looking To Pick Up Another Player (possibly as soon as today)

Kori Ellis
11-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Learning curve at any age: Spurs' Oberto is 30 and has pro base, but NBA game poses challenge

Web Posted: 11/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111705.1C.BKNspurs.oberto.167eeb58.html

At 30 years and 225 days, Fabricio Oberto is the oldest rookie in Spurs' history. Which, by any standard, means he's still a rookie.

And, like most rookies, Oberto has had to learn, quickly, the value of patience. Last week in Chicago, he didn't get off the bench. Tuesday night against Atlanta, he stayed on the floor for 21 minutes, totaling eight points and eight rebounds.

"Last night, I think was the first game I wasn't thinking what I had to do," Oberto said. "I was doing it."

Oberto hopes to do more of the same as he becomes acclimated to the NBA.

As a veteran of Spain's top professional league, Oberto knew what to expect from most players in Europe. Since joining the Spurs, he's had to adjust to the size and athleticism of NBA players — in addition to new teammates, a new system, a new country and a different language.

"He's learning slowly but surely," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He obviously has a great effort level and works hard every night. I think he'll just get better and better as he gets comfortable."

Oberto acknowledges he's had to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. And while he's a good passer, he hopes to improve his mid-range shot to allow him to better space the floor in the Spurs' offense.

"The key for me every day is to keep working," he said.

So far, Oberto — whose long hair has earned him the nickname Fabio from his teammates — has done most of his work in practice. In the Spurs' recent five-game road trip, he averaged about four minutes a game.

With Houston visiting the SBC Center tonight, Oberto's playing time might drop again if Popovich needs Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed to better match up with the Rockets' 7-foot-6 center, Yao Ming.

Robert Horry, meanwhile, has taken most of the minutes behind Tim Duncan and Nesterovic. The Spurs also have been concerned about finding time for Mohammed, who was away from the team for much of training camp.

With more opponents using smaller lineups, the Spurs don't figure to settle on a rotation for their big men anytime soon.

"Everyone is having to sacrifice, but it's also helped me," Oberto said. "Because we have so many talented, good players, they already know what to do. The key for me is to get into the system."

Like Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley — the Spurs' two other newcomers — Oberto sometimes thinks instead of reacts. He's also used to pacing himself because his Spanish team needed him to play substantially more minutes.

"I need to play with more intensity, be more aggressive, try to improve on defense," Oberto said. "I think that's the thing I have to do to really help the team when I have the (chance) to get in and play."

Oberto made the most of his opportunity against Atlanta. Though still prone to fouls, he had six points, four rebounds and a block in a 91/2-minute stretch of the fourth quarter.

"Every day is one or two mistakes less," he said. "One day, it's going to be like no mistakes."

Spurs looking for help: Although the Spurs signed rookie Melvin Sanders last week to provide depth while Brent Barry and Finley are sidelined, the team expects to add another young wing player, possibly as soon as today.

The absence of Barry and Finley the past four games has made it difficult for the Spurs to match up with opponents who use small lineups.

Popovich said Barry and Finley are doubtful to play tonight.

Both players scripted plays during Wednesday's light workout. The Spurs did not scrimmage, so neither Barry nor Finley has yet to go through a contact practice.

"Maybe in another four or five days, they'll be ready to go," Popovich said.

Kori Ellis
11-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Ebi?

SequSpur
11-17-2005, 01:26 AM
any ideas?

timvp
11-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Theron Smith come on down.

:smokin

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 01:29 AM
You meant to say "another tractor" right?

timvp
11-17-2005, 01:34 AM
You meant to say "another tractor" right?

These players will be gone by Christmas (well at least Sanders will be). Good to see that Holt and the Spurs fans are seeing why this team needs more than 13 players.

Congrats on seeing the light.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 01:35 AM
I said all along they would. The injuries just made them do it quicker.

SequSpur
When Finley gets back, they should let him settle in for 5 games, get some minutes and package him, Beno, Rasho and Nazr for Garnett.

Kori Ellis
If Finley and Barry weren't hurt, they probably wouldn't even think of signing another player. But now they likely realize that one or both of them may be injured on and off this season and carrying another decent swingman isn't a luxury, it's a necessity with the age of the bench.

timvp
11-17-2005, 01:37 AM
What this basically means is that Sanders is garbage and they need an NBA caliber swingman to fill in for now.

Not too surprising.

SequSpur
11-17-2005, 01:40 AM
What this basically means is that Sanders is garbage and they need an NBA caliber swingman to fill in for now.

Not too surprising.

Dude can't shoot a jumper or make a layup and his range from the 3 line is suspect.

Trade someone for Devin Brown.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Yeah, get someone who can't get off the pine in Utah and is still having injury problems :rolleyes

Maybe we can bring back the ghost of Vinney Del Negro too...

Somewhere Marcus is rubbing one out right now.

SequSpur
11-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Yeah, get someone who can't get off the pine in Utah and is still having injury problems :rolleyes

Maybe we can bring back the ghost of Vinney Del Negro too...

Somewhere Marcus is rubbing one out right now.

Hmm.... how about getting players that Duncan can make look good and play with, rather than players that have weak labias.

Devin Brown is not a good fit for Utah, that's not rocket science.

milkyway21
11-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Loul Deng????

i read this one article one columnist was asking why Chicago is contemplating trading this sophomore player to another team. He's young and he's from Chicago. And
that's where Nazr wants to go besides San Antonio.

or am I a moron to think Nazr might be leaving us so soon?

zwbgr
11-17-2005, 02:28 AM
Nesterovic will leave Spurs sooner

drclic
11-17-2005, 02:36 AM
what about tariq abdul wahad ? Very very Good defender, great athlete, possibly a great fit to san antonio ... can take place of bowen in year to come ... not a great shooter but can he score.
He's a great professionnal, just don't talk religion or politic with him ... :-)
He was released by Dallas after 2 years of quarantaine ...
He's the one of the best free agent.
So, why not ?

Drclic.

TDMVPDPOY
11-17-2005, 02:38 AM
watever happen to that luis williams that was in summer camp??

milkyway21
11-17-2005, 02:50 AM
i thought of Radmanovic, a good 3pt player. but this player wants MINUTES so.........:nope

10-tka
11-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Nachbar-3point man

TDMVPDPOY
11-17-2005, 03:39 AM
naraja or nachbar? :D

Kori Ellis
11-17-2005, 05:32 AM
i thought of Radmanovic, a good 3pt player. but this player wants MINUTES so.........:nope

He turned down a $50M contract this summer and stayed with the Sonics for one year. Now he's bitching about playing time and his agent says they'll press for a trade in a couple weeks if he doesn't start getting a lot more minutes (he wants to play at 25-35 mpg).

xcoriate
11-17-2005, 06:36 AM
In other words his attitude sucks, and the Spurs can't afford him. I don't see how we can pick up either Najera or Nachbar either given thay are both under contract, as far Tariq has he been waived? I missed that.

I hear Glenn Robinson is still available.......

ploto
11-17-2005, 06:54 AM
It says a YOUNG wing player. I thought we were getting some guy from Europe, but that never came to pass over the summer. I think Ebi might be a good guess.

And while he's a good passer, he hopes to improve his mid-range shot to allow him to better space the floor in the Spurs' offense.

While this quote is about Oberto, I was going to mention that I saw Chip working with Nazr on his mid-range shot-- but I can't call it a jump shot. For everyone's claims that Rasho's playing time is all about defense, it also helps that he is back to hitting this shot this season.

With more opponents using smaller lineups...
See this CD. Just like I said yesterday- it's about other teams going smalll and match-ups.

mannyd
11-17-2005, 08:38 AM
How about Spree? He's not young but, if we signed Van X, Why not Spree?

Solid D
11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
The Sean-Marks-at-the-3 Experiment is now over.

gospursgojas
11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Ebi couldn't get off the bench in Minny, why would he be a good fit here???

T Park
11-17-2005, 08:54 AM
These players will be gone by Christmas (well at least Sanders will be). Good to see that Holt and the Spurs fans are seeing why this team needs more than 13 players.

but if he is so cheap, why is he allowing the signing now?

Cause of some morons on a forum?

Noooo.........

T Park
11-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Ebi couldn't get off the bench in Minny, why would he be a good fit here???

You don't think idiot coaching had anything to do with it, no?

gospursgojas
11-17-2005, 08:57 AM
You don't think idiot coaching had anything to do with it, no?

NBA coaches aren't going to teach him what he would of learned in college.

T Park
11-17-2005, 09:00 AM
They aren't?

They are just gonna say, "Your an NBA player, PLAY NOW"??

If so, Flip Saunders really was a moron.

EBi has some serious talent, hes just never had good coaching to corrall it.

spur219
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Please Not Ebi

spurster
11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
The Spurs wanted Ebi before.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 09:55 AM
but if he is so cheap, why is he allowing the signing now?

Because it took losing half of their swingmen to force the signing of a rookie to a non-guaranteed deal. Fairly obvious.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 09:56 AM
I said all along they would. The injuries just made them do it quicker.

To non-guaranteed deals? When they waive Sanders and whoever else will you believe?

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
To non-guaranteed deals? When they waive Sanders and whoever else will you believe?Show me the words "non-guaranteed" in the article.

It all depends on the player. Sanders doesn't deserve that kind of scratch and you know it.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
What? A 1 year rookie deal?

Sanders was signed to a non-guaranteed deal as part of their solution for the injury bug.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
See this CD. Just like I said yesterday- it's about other teams going smalll and match-ups.Gee, do you want a link to his contract? Just like I said yesterday, that's the reason they'll always be open to getting rid of him.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:24 AM
What? A 1 year rookie deal?Guaranteed? when other, better players are still out there and could sign as late as April?

Even you aren't this stupid.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Sanders is good enough to be a 6th swing in the NBA, Honeycakes. That means 1 year, rookie deal guaranteed.

Looks like someone hit that rough patch of the month.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Sanders is good enough to be a 6th swing in the NBAYeah, that's why he was sitting in Oklahoma a week ago.
Looks like someone hit that rough patch of the month.Yep, take some Midol, you'll feel better. Cranberry juice will help that UTI of yours as well.

ducks
11-17-2005, 10:30 AM
the spurs have some leverage with non guaranteed contracts
spree and big dog are still out there.....

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Are there better swingman options still out there?

Yes or no?

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah, that's why he was sitting in Oklahoma a week ago.

George Lynch and Glenn Robinson are still sitting.

Anyways, the Spurs waived Sanders late and a number of teams had already filled their rosters by then.

Yep, take some Midol, you'll feel better. Cranberry juice will help that UTI of yours as well.

Doesn't seem to work for you.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Are there better swingman options still out there?

Yes or no?

Yes. Will the Spurs pay for those? No.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
George Lynch and Glenn Robinson are still sitting.Thanks for answering my other question, idiot.

If you'rs so hard to sign a sixth (notice how you can't bring yourself to say he's worth even being on the active roster now) swingman, you can pay him yourself.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Will the Spurs pay for those? No.Hah, just like you said they'd never sign anyone after 13. Great call, Miss Cleo.

T Park
11-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Marcus continues to look like a fool with the stupid Spurs are cheap bullshit.

THey arent cheap, but they aren't throwing their money around like the Knicks.

Obviously deep down Cryant wants Thomas to be the GM.

LilMissSPURfect
11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
When Finley gets back, they should let him settle in for 5 games, get some minutes and package him, Beno, Rasho and Nazr for Garnett.

:king

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Hah, just like you said they'd never sign anyone after 13. Great call, Miss Cleo.

Yeah, nobody to a guaranteed contract, not this short term hire shit.

T Park
11-17-2005, 10:58 AM
What has Saunders shown that makes him stand out from other CBA stiffs?

Nothing.

So why bother wasting a guaranteed contract on him?

Just to apease you?

Get real.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for answering my other question, idiot.

Now the namecalling. Someone's mad and losing the argument.

If you'rs so hard to sign a sixth (notice how you can't bring yourself to say he's worth even being on the active roster now) swingman, you can pay him yourself.

He's a project. He's someone you sign and work with him for a year. This is not unheard of in San Antonio. Pay attention sometime.

ducks
11-17-2005, 11:00 AM
sanders is garbage but people were happy that the spurs signed him as a 14 man
he is very garbage
I think they should pick a 14 guy but if he is very terrible they would waste time and money on him. they should just waive his ass.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Marcus continues to look like a fool with the stupid Spurs are cheap bullshit.

THey arent cheap, but they aren't throwing their money around like the Knicks.

Obviously deep down Cryant wants Thomas to be the GM.

They aren't throwing their money around like the Clippers.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
What has Saunders shown that makes him stand out from other CBA stiffs?

Nothing.

So why bother wasting a guaranteed contract on him?

Just to apease you?

Get real.

As the first 8 games of this season have borne out, it was foolish to head into this season with only 4 swings on your roster.

Yes, Sanders would be better off having a year to work on his game in Austin.

What you don't seem able to grasp is that the Spurs were cheap in trying to make it through this season without any swingman depth and now that they have been forced to do something about it, they still refuse to add some real depth.

Slomo
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
He turned down a $50M contract this summer and stayed with the Sonics for one year. Now he's bitching about playing time and his agent says they'll press for a trade in a couple weeks if he doesn't start getting a lot more minutes (he wants to play at 25-35 mpg).
Don't forget he was one of the players involved in the locker room fight at the EC. Just the type of player you need http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

2centsworth
11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
These 14th guys off the bench are just stop gaps. I thought Deion Glover did a pretty good job last year, bring him back to play spot minutes.

tekdragon
11-17-2005, 11:23 AM
So far, Oberto — whose long hair has earned him the nickname Fabio from his teammates —

08-25-2005, 12:04 PM #24
tekdragon
Future Spurs Exec

Position: Rugged Forward
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $50
Re: Press Conference introducing Oberto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what's his nick? How long before SA dubs him "Fabio"? (or did I already miss that?)

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23262&highlight=fabio

:lol That one was just unavoidable, wasn't it?

kolko
11-17-2005, 11:24 AM
These 14th guys off the bench are just stop gaps. I thought Deion Glover did a pretty good job last year, bring him back to play spot minutes.

He plays for Houston.

loveforthegame
11-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I scanned the realgm free agent list to see what names popped up. Adrian Griffin, Courtney Alexander, Donnell Harvey, and Ryan Humphrey are names I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Nothing to jump up about but are possible if the Spurs are looking for someone who could help now.

I think Rodney White and Qyntel Woods are still available as well.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
They aren't throwing their money around like the Clippers.Right, they're only spending $15 million more than the Clips Never let the facts get in the way of an argument.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 11:42 AM
No, acting cheap like they are with the swing depth is certainly reminiscient of the Clips.

sprrs
11-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Ebi would be a good choice but once Finley and Barry come back he might have some trouble getting minutes

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes, Ebi would be worth a shot as would Woods as would Lynch as would GRobinson.

tekdragon
11-17-2005, 11:50 AM
No, acting cheap like they are with the swing depth is certainly reminiscient of the Clips.

Ah, the magic word...

The History of Marcus Bryant and the word "cheap" (http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=114166&pp=25&page=1)

ChumpDumper
11-17-2005, 11:51 AM
No, acting cheap like they are with the swing depth is certainly reminiscient of the Clips.Not really, they always had plenty of 7th swingmen-types. You should have been a fan.

picnroll
11-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Sprewell

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Not really, they always had plenty of 7th swingmen-types. You should have been a fan.

Then they are worse.

ChumpDumper
Ah, the magic word...

The History of Marcus Bryant and the word "cheap" (http://spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=114166&pp=25&page=1)
:lmao

Marcus Bryant
Sprewell

Another.

spurster
11-17-2005, 01:02 PM
To fill the 14th slot, I think the Spurs wanted to wait and pick up a decent or reasonable potential swingman with SF size rather than SG size. Except maybe Bowen, the Spurs have no "true" SFs. In this scenario, that would leave the 15th slot open for injuries, in which case you hire and fire as needed.

Sanders is filling in for the 15th "we have to get someone because of injuries" slot while the Spurs are searching to fill the "SF" 14th slot.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Lynch and GRobinson are available. Perhaps the Spurs should lock up one now.

Extra Stout
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
There's this guy Juan who does landscaping for my neighbor. He works for like $2/hour, cash, no questions asked.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
There's this guy Juan who does landscaping for my neighbor. He works for like $2/hour, cash, no questions asked.

That's the likelier route.

Solid D
11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Spurs had Alex Scales at practice today.

KSAT TV report

wildbill2u
11-17-2005, 02:54 PM
No one could have predicted that both our backup SFs would get injured at the same time for an extended period. Sounds like they will return soon.

I wouldn't waste a year contract on someone who doesn't really fit the bill, just to have him on the bench for about two weeks, maybe 6 games.

Sanders was a good choice FOR A SHORT TERM CONTRACT because he knew the system. He's not a good pick for a longer term.